• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Starpath: Burning Sails [IC] [CLOSED]

"Starpop! Its like the best type of music ever made! Very popular around Sol and other places like, um, Castilia and some places around the edges and all that. The music has lots of dancing, and singing, and lights, its not boring at all. Here, let me show you!"

Shelby took out her small personal datapad and tapped at it, looking for something popular that didn't have her connected to it some way. She found an old song, one of the classics that had been covered a lot over the years. Some said it was from before Sol went to space but she thought that was just people being funny.

"Look, look!" She held up the device to show Vincent as music started to play.

"The killing... the-the stealing... every-thing we do..." His eyes snap back onto Lauren's face and his breathing becomes much more distressed. "It... Doesn't... Work..."

Lauren eyes Typhon for a moment, as she slowly eased back. Is he having some sort of episode? PTSD or some shit? "Just calm down, Doc. Breathe, and rela--" she said, before someone banged on the medical bay doors. "Hey! Anyone in there? I need someone to look at my neck!" said a voice. Roku. Likely couldn't find Daniel. "I think you have a patient to tend to, doc. Need to focus." said Lauren, glancing to the door before looking back to Typhon. "Gotta tend to those in need. Hippocratic oath, right? Or whatever the fuck its called."

---
Karina nodded. "Some Upyri do drink blood, but most tend to drink either serum, synthetic blood, or just regular foods. Drinking the real thing is frowned upon, and considered taboo...plus its not exactly good for the drinker, as you ingest whatever is in the person or animal's blood. Parasites, diseases, and other gunk." stated Karina. "...I'm one of the ones with the misfortune to have been born with an allergy to the chemicals used in serum and synthetic blood...so I have to feed on the real thing twice daily. I also take nano-shots to clear out my system afterwards. I've done it since I was a child." She lifted her shirt partially to show the scar from where she had been taking the shots.

She raised an eyebrow when Yolandi spoke of the Periphery. "I don't know much about Sol's other territories besides the ones that border the Federation, and Sol's core worlds...though I think I've seen it marked on a map. Isn't it on the far back side of Sol?" she said, before drinking more of her slush sandwich. "Humanity's always had an odd relationship with us. Some are scared of us, others have children with us. Its just a complex relationship, I guess." She pointed towards the door with her thumb. "I'm a pure Upyri, but Aesha out there is a Humyri. Her father is human, her mother was one of us."

---
Aesha spoke up. "Its popular on Nyx too. Not so much on Hemera, or in the western part of Fed space." she said, glancing to Vincent. "I prefer the classics, honestly. Probably because my dad would play the stuff while we were foolin' with cars in the garage. Mom was more of a fan of much older stuff...you know, with saxophones and stuff. I think Sol calls it Jazz."

The cyborg nodded at Shelby accepting his offer to assist, and Vincent came and asked what Starpop was as well. Shun didn't care a great deal about the musical genre, but it couldn't hurt to explore it, could it?

When Shelby flicked on her datapad and showed the video, Shun immediately regretted being curious. Slowly, shakily, he rose a hand to his right temple, fingers extending to lightly caress the side of his head. "This isn't music...Th-this is an assault. Weaponized noise and explosions of color."

Typhon jolts a little, the loud banging on the door making him spasm and blink.

“Oh, oh...” That smug, sarcastic inflection he always had returns. “What in the hell was I doing again?...”

Groggy and trying to regain his posture, he lumbers over to the door console and unlocks it. Seeing Roku waiting outside makes him scowl.

“What the hell do you want, yellow?” he scoffs.

Vincent stared quietly at the screen as Shelby showed him what starpop was. After it was over, he was quiet for a moment. Aesha spoke up about her own preferences, giving him an easy way out to talk about a similar topic without thinking too much about whatever the hell that was.

"It's jazz, yes." He answered with a slight smile "That was popular on Prosperity. Along with rock. The initial settlers had a large collection of music from Sol artists from before the last World war. And we kinda developed our own style from them."
This isn't music...Th-this is an assault. Weaponized noise and explosions of color.
"Now, it aint my taste in music either, I'll admit. But it's not that bad."

Roku raised an eyebrow at Typhon, before looking to see Lauren walk out by him. She smirked at Roku, and gave him a pat on the shoulder before heading through the cargo bay towards the elevator. Leaving Roku alone with the doctor. "...Just wondering if someone could treat this burn on my neck." he responded finally, looking back to Typhon. He tilted his head a bit, so that Typhon could get a look at it.

---
Aesha chuckled. "Nah, it ain't that bad. I've heard so much worse than that. You should see some of the 'up-and-comers' that they like to talk about back on Nyx. That literally is just noise." she said.

“Hmmm. Uh-huh.” Typhon grunts. “How’d that happen? You pissed off Petar again?”

In reality Typhon already knew, but was testing Roku’s honesty.

Roku gave him a confused look. "...I shot my collar off. You were there when I said I did, Typhon." he responded. He was considering now just turning around and trying to find Daniel again. At least Daniel didn't care much about things. Typhon didn't seem to like him at all.

Shun shook his head, starting to put on some localized noise dampening so that he wouldn't be subjected to the terrors of starpop any longer. "It is certainly not my taste. You are free to enjoy being attacked by your music, but I prefer something more... orderly." he explains.

“Indeed I did hear it all, I was just quizzing you cause I also heard you’re a rat.” He's barely hiding his mocking tone now. “I really hope that isn’t true. I don’t like it when my patients run out on me. Now hold still.”

He slathers some burn ointment on Roku’s neck. It stings to all hell initially, but that feeling goes away shortly. A bandage and some disinfectant is also padded on.

“There. Done.”

"Oh, that's just a classic!" Jericho smiled at the priest, when he patiently watched the video and was polite about it. His expression changed, though, when Shun spoke again. He truly was a weirdo. "Well! I do love Starpop. So many good artists throughout the centuries." He looked to Vincent and Aesha as they started to talk about their own favorite genres. "I'm a fan of classic Earth pop songs, but I do enjoy other genres from time to time. Punk, rock, etc." He then shifted his attention back to Shelby. "So! What are you gonna do darling?"

Shelby stuck her tongue out at Shun when he insulted what was probably the best genre of music to ever exist in the history of ever. How could he do such a thing!? In retrospect it made sense, she figured, since he was sorta a weirdo anyways.

"Its called starpop and its an art," she said pointedly, stuffing the datapad away. With some backup from Aesha and Jericho, she nodded heavily. "See? Told you."

She gave shun one last sour look before turning back to Aesha and Vincent. "Jazz is super cool too, we have that... back home! Its usually pretty fast and meaty, but we have some of that slower stuff as well. They play it a lot at the, you know, upper establishments and stuff. Fancy suits and dress kinda places. Its nice for when you want to just lay down and be sad or thoughtful like a painting, not great for moving your body to, really. Unless its the fast stuff. Then it gets crazy if you go to the right place."

She glanced back over to Jericho. "Well, whenever I get my signal bouncer encryption thingy things then I can get started!"

Roku flinched when Typhon applied the ointment, then waited patiently as he applied the disinfectant and bandages. "Thanks." he said simply, before turning back about and heading through the cargo bay. He had things to do on the bridge. Mainly checking systems since supposedly Pearl gave them a once over and improved a few things.

---
Aesha moved her shades back down onto her nose. "Well, I'll leave you to it. I need to go check on my wingman. Her ship was busted up a bit more than mine was." she said, before giving them a simple wave and strolling back towards where the garages were.

It was clear that Shelby and Shun had very different ideas of art, and he only saw the music fit to be played as a means of torture. Though considering the sample size of people here that seemed to either be indifferent to it or enjoy it, there was a great chance that it was not that far-reaching in terms of being terribly unpleasant. "I much prefer Jazz, yes. Having heard it I can say it is often far more enjoyable." he adds, looking to the small child as they made sour faces at him. The cyborg hardly reacted, and when the subject came to his assistance he simply gave a nod.

"I will be able to get the process under way once I requisition the equipment and when you have selected where you will be doing this broadcasting."

It'd been... a little while. Olivia glanced at her pad. A couple hours she'd been overseeing the repairs to her craft. Seems like things were nearly done, so, she'd trust that they wouldn't fuck anything up. Grabbing a beer from the onsite fridge, she stepped outside, cracking the thing open and stepping out of the hangar. It wasn't even a good one. It was like she was drinking piss. Whatever, that's the price of becoming a pilot, she supposed. Not long after, she noticed a certain someone eyeing up that big motherfucker of a ship from the corner of her eye. Or-- thought was eyeing up the ship.

"'Sup, boss." She came to Petar with a nod, before shooting the gaze upward to the towering behemoth. She was surprised that thing was even orbit-capable-- especially with the state she'd heard it was in, too. "Big sumnbitch, ain't it? How long do you reckon before they've actually got the thing fully fixed up?"

Olivia's sudden appearance startled Petar. 'Where did she come from? Probably was looking at that woman too long. Didn't even hear her approach me.'. He took a swig from his beer and looked towards the ship. Last ship this big he saw was the Diamant. His father's own flagship. That giant monstrocity took half a decade. He wondered if it was still out there somewhere.

"A month or two at the very least to get it moving." He looked at Olivia "If they work overtime on it. Upgrades will maybe take another year on top. I'm gonna ballpark it at two and a half years. Depends on the money." It always did. It wasn't much of a problem for him in the past but now..."Lets hope the captain has some real deep pockets to take from."

Yolandi takes another swig of her beer and tips it, "Periphery isn't really Sol space, Sol has no direct holdings out there as far as I know. It's kind of a stretch of space where each planet is it's own sort of self-contained government. They share some stuff with each other, but it's pretty much only trade interests. Since it's on the backside of Sol space, it's mostly humans but you get some other types out there on rare occasion who are, as I said, just looking to avoid the woes of the Galaxy. There's no strategic or important enough economic value to them for Sol to stake claim so they just monitor the border to prevent the usual smuggler traffic."

She eats some more of her sandwich and swallows, "Humyri, that's a new term to me, people in the Periphery just called them half-breeds or mongrels depending on which person you asked. Like I said, the Upyri homesteaders weren't that popular because of common myths being perpetuated amongst the superstitious sorts. The Humyri types tended to stay out in the homestead areas. Not sure how much human history you know but it's kinda like interracial human marriages being rather taboo for most of humanity's pre-spaceflight history. You don't mix blood, blah, blah, blah. Not one of us, yadda yadda." Yolandi waves her hand around dismissively, "Either way, I'll look into setting up a belt-feed system for the grenade launcher, don't expect it to look super pretty because I'll be working with non-standard parts, also expect your suit's weight to go up a bit if I add a second ammo bin for it."She finishes her sandwich and beer with that then just relaxes where she's sitting, "Allergic to synth blood, huh, guess I'm safe then." Yolandi gives a chuckle and little smirk at Karina to indicate she's just lightening the mood.

Vance continued fishing along, catching a few here and there as the bucket on board continued to fill up. He had to throw back a couple due to being the poisonous kind, but the others looked quite appetizing. He took a look at the bucket, seeing that it would soon get full and so spoke up once again.

"Think this'll be enough to feed everyone? I know a couple folks that might have mighty appetites." he joked to Drav.

Karina smiled slightly. "I try to only drink from blood packs...unless I'm in the field. Then you get what happened at the station." she replied, before drinking the rest of her slushified sandwich. She checked her watch afterwards. "Almost time for another vial...and a shot."

---
"Think this'll be enough to feed everyone? I know a couple folks that might have mighty appetites."

Drav looked into the two buckets, before nodding. "Big fish, feed group. Drav show small girl to cook these. Cook need experience." she said, as she reeled her line in and set her rod aside. She then moved across the boat to where the motor was, before yanking the cord on it to start it. "We head to shore, now." she stated, motioning to the beach.

Olivia snickered as she'd seemingly caught the first mate by surprise. One arm folded over her chest, whilst the other held the bottle to her lips to take a swig. Considering she was ex-navy, she was no stranger to seeing behemoths like the one the both of them were looking at. But, she had to admit. Looking at it from ground level, as opposed to up in space, or being on the thing, certainly gave someone an appreciation for how big they just can get.

"No shit, guess it ain't like the navy where they could just throw as much money as they needed into a fire to get these things fixed." ...Deep pockets to take from, huh? "...Yeah. Something tells me we're gonna be pissing off a hell of a lot of people to get the money'n fix this thing." Trying to keep the mood light, she shrugged with a chuckle. "More than the name 'Blackwell's pissed people off already, anyways."

Yolandi smiles back, "Well, I'll let you go do your thing then. I'll go start taking a look at how I'm gonna set up the grenade launcher, hopefully Drav is around somewhere since I gotta talk to her about my machine gun again since I had an idea with Zou's update." She gets up from the cafeteria table and throws her own trash away and heads off for the workshop where Zou and Karina's suit is housed. Once there she opens the garage door and steps in, she spots Zou looking around the shop at the various bits and pieces that are meant to be installed him, "Nervous about the update, buddy?" Zou starts slightly like he was caught snooping in someone's room and looks at her before shaking his head, his warhorn system is sitting on a bench somewhere so he lacks even the capacity to vocalize something minor. He shifts around and heads over to the corner of the shop he usually powers down in and does just that. Yolandi sighs and starts over to Karina's suit and begins trying to figure out how she'll mount a second ammo bin and then link it to the launcher. She could probably re-rig the index system on the current drum system and have it just pull rounds into it without having to rebuild the launcher's feed unit too much. Either way, she spends the rest of her time figuring that out while everyone else is off doing their thing.

"If we don't piss people off, what kind of pirates are we?" Petar asked sarcastically "We have names on a list of course. Bounty hunters, mercs, renegade authority figures and family members who just want to see you again before they kill you." He took another swig and continued "A pessimist would think that a list like that is bad news for his crew, that he should give up and hide in a hole somewhere. Me, I'm an optimist. I see those names and I see that we have a reputation already made for us. Something we can leverage on the negotiations. Also gives us a list of people we need to kill or just rough up enough to build up our image."

"Fun times ahead."

"Family members, huh?" Olivia listened in, but that in particular caught her attention. "...Closest thing I think to family that'll want my head on a stick's probably the Navy." She tried to recount. There was a reasonable chance that most of the navy didn't really care where she was. But, Sol being Sol, the OID and their G-men would be very, very interested in her. "...Of course, between me and, uh. Whatshername-- thunder thighs, I'd be a lot more worried about their spooks snooping around for us than them sending out the hammer to shatter us into tiny little pieces."

She took another drink, before shifting her gaze back to him. "Sounds like you've got some more personal problems, though."

"Brother and sister took control of the family business and view me as a threat. Couldn't keep me frozen forever so now they want me dead." Petar gave her the short version of the story. If he started going in deeper they would get stuck in tangent and him yelling obscenities along with tirades. Complete mood killer. Two things she said stuck out to him. First was obviously thunderthigs which reminded him instantly of Nat. The other part was about the navy.

"Government spooks mean either you're gonna be dead soon or they want you to do their dirty work for them, but Navy? That's nothing to fuck with. Slow start, but impossible to stop. What did you do to piss them off?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back