• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars

Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Gnaeus shook his head, “I already told Kylo I couldn’t make it out,” Gnaeus stated, part of the reason why lying didn’t occur to him.

Anakin did add, “Perhaps Ariel did.” She was more clever than either of them for suggesting the obvious – lie. “Though you would both have to have the stick to look at to come to that conclusion.” This was also true. They couldn’t just waltz to wherever Paquin was without the stick to prove it, and she probably kept it with her.

Still, Gnaeus supposed it would be good to see if the stick could deflect a lightsaber, so he stretched up, “We can try that, I guess,” he said, “and if we have to confess it’s Anakin, we confess it, and Kylo can get pissed if Anakin’s right. Or wrong.” He’d be pissed either way, wouldn’t he?

Oh well.

“Do you want to go do that now?” Before they forgot. Gnaeus was back on his feet, and they didn’t really have much else to do except train. If they found an item that resisted lightsabers, that would probably be useful. ‘Sure. Yeah. If only we could make armor like that….’ They’d be put to shame by a stick.

~***~

“It’s not the same because he refuses to use it the same. My—,” Kylo had to stop himself before he said ‘his uncle’. That was Ben’s uncle. “Luke Skywalker is the greatest threat to us and he has a fake hand.” Robotic, even, likely nowhere near as good as Gnaeus’s hand. “Darth Vader lost most of his limbs and he still prevailed over most others. Gnaeus should not be so hindered.”

Paquin didn’t seem to understand that, though. She wanted to coddle him, and apparently, wanted to be coddled, too. Perhaps Kylo was wrong in pairing her with Gnaeus. They were going to make each other weaker, not stronger.

He felt the blow when she mentioned Mira, and so factually said that Mira was against him. He couldn’t help himself. “If she knew you killed Kevan,” and not him, “she would have every reason to kill you, and as you are right now, she would succeed. That is what we are trying to prevent, that is why you and Gnaeus both need to work on your improvements. We don’t have time to coddle him. He would drag us down in a fight, and if that happens….”

If it happened with her….

Thankfully he thought of that before speaking, stating they’d have to use Gnaeus as something expendable. He still couldn’t imagine using Paquin as something expendable. He shook his head, cutting off his thought. “That is why we can’t let it happen. That is why we have to be harder on him.”

~***~

Mira did hear Finn’s thought, and she smiled a bit, knowing he couldn’t see it. She continued the pressure on his hands, but expanded out more, lifting at the dew on the grass, pulling at the Force around them, as Finn bent it, feeling it as something that he wasn’t creating, understanding that it was there, always, for him to grasp at. He didn’t have to call it forward. It was just there.

“Training. You should get used to this, too. It’s painful, otherwise.”

Finn believed that. Mira had noted mental violation was just that when she went to see Ariel, and Poe still had his nightmares. He thought back. ‘How come it isn’t now?’

“You trust me.” Mira considered it that simple, but added, “You must feel the pressure. It’s not wholly comfortable…yet…but you’re relaxed. Your guards are down. There’s nothing to work against.” Unlike with her, her guards weren’t dropping anytime soon with Snoke as he was. “And you’re distracted.” There was humor in the thought, and even Finn smiled with his eyes closed, grinning at what couldn’t be heard by Mace, though he sensed the continued flow of the Force.

‘So how do I do it?’

“Not this time, Finn,” Mira denied. “This time, just focus on the Force. Moving it as you have been. Try and spread your focus out and around you.” She offered something of a mental tug, like pulling a rope. “If you need help…just try and grasp at the pull.” She’d pull him along, bit by bit, further and further, if he needed it. She’d make the pulls come from further away from him, but it would still feel as if it was pulling him and not at the Force further from him.

He could follow the sensation, expand his own presence, and take in more, become more aware of his environment, until it felt like he could sense many feet away from himself and start to understand he could pull at that Force, too. It didn’t have to rise out of his hands.

Expanding his consciousness and awareness of the Force was the first step for Finn. Once he grasped that, the rest would come easily – or at least, Mira thought so.

Mace did feel the pulls. He felt the ebb and flow of the Force, and though he couldn’t discern what was being spoken, he did know they were speaking. Psion, Jinn said. Capable, he said. These were facts, but Mace couldn’t help but think briefly to how his training had differed once he became a padawan, and not just a learner.

It was tempting to try and look ahead. He had once been good at it, finding shatterpoints and recognizing how to turn the future.

He hadn’t done it in a while. Not since Palpatine. Not since he hadn’t seen through the dark side of the Force and the way it had obscured everything. He imagined such powers were at play again. Trying to tell the future would not end well. ‘Maybe, Jinn.’ He and Qui-Gon had disagreed on much in life, and they likely would continue to now.

He smirked a bit, feeling how his son was trying to rush after the fleeing pulls in the Force, like a fish behind glass, not realizing the glass wasn’t real, in this case. Mace drew one knee up as he sat. ‘I remember when Yoda used to teach us….’ Yoda had been ever-patient, but Mace had needed it. Still more, he’d needed the training he’d get later, the physical aspects that taught him how to channel his emotions. He’d have to teach that to Finn, too, and he found his thoughts dwelling, wondering if Finn might actually be able to pick up vaapad.

‘Heh.’ He didn’t seem to have the fury for it, but his son had…a certain force of will, didn’t he? ‘Maybe.’ He’d have to see how Finn fought, once Mira was done with him.

Jinn, it seemed, had fallen silent for now, content not to disrupt further. Content to see Mace thinking, and Mira training a new padawan.

~***~

‘Yes, this is why I’m the boss.’ Tarkin may have preened under the words and the praise, but he did not. He knew he was intelligent enough to deserve his position, but there were times, like then, where a nagging voice at the back of his head told him there was something overlooked. Something he wasn’t clever enough to see.

Something.

Yet his allies didn’t see it, and he knew with their backing in the Senate, this would progress forward well. “Good,” he was pleased for the support, no matter. “We will also need to improve relations with Seranno. I’d rather not assault them for their Clone War tech and all those things Dooku was working on, but…,” ends justify means.

He had a relatively good relationship with Seranno, at least. “Our enemies are Force Sensitive, and we’ve seen what they’re capable of with Lothal. We need to expand on what Dooku was doing. I want more containment fields, and more weapons that hinder or bother the Force. Master Vallens also has something,” as Lares discovered, as Caius had seen closer, and he fixed his eyes on him. “Find out more.” He at least knew what to look for. “Oh, and…find some way to start working in IT-O and torture resistance training into the repertoire for our soldiers and pilots,” Tarkin said as he rose. “General Organa may be of use for that.”

“Don’t you have training?”

“Not the sort of training any sane person wants to go through,” Tarkin smirked a bit at Seig. “I learned by experience. General Organa underwent a better system on Alderaan.” It was why she gave up nothing. “We all need to work on strengthening our mental fortitude from this point on. General Hux may know something as well, considering….” Non-Force sensitive who somehow survived Snoke and Kylo. “Either way, I want it to become the norm, and we have to catch up, quick. Once we start actively engaging, Snoke won’t be in the background.”

“Understood,” Seig said, rising. “I’ll see about talking to General Organa later today,” he imagined she would be easier to speak with than Hux, if only because of who he was married to.

“Good! I’m going to find my IT-O. I think it’ll be fun to bring it to Coruscant.”

“August—”

“Dismissed!” He was absolutely bringing that floating black orb of horror with him, but he wouldn’t take it into the Senate. He wasn’t that brash.

Today. Might bring it to see Carise, though.

“I have faith in Anakin,” Ariel decided. She felt Anakin was onto something. “But do I have enough faith to stand up.” Ariel groaned. She supposed they should probably do it when they thought of it. And before Ariel drank more and became too drunk to remember. Or reveal the plan.

Ariel rolled off of the bed and onto the floor, groaning the whole time. She pushed herself off of her knees and onto her feet, again groaning the entire time. Once she was upright she took another long drink of alcohol before setting it back down. “Okay, let’s do this. Do you think Kylo can like…sense our lying?” No, Kylo couldn’t. But Snoke probably could.

“C’mon, kids,” Ariel waved her arm as she took the lead. She felt out with the Force to pinpoint where at least Paquin was since she probably had the stick. But Ariel felt both Paquin and Kylo, together. She felt tension as well. Ariel furrowed her eyebrows. “They’re in the training room. I think they’re feeling some sexual tension.” Ariel offered to her living and dead companions.

“That’s gross,” Anakin commented. Or, it was gross because that was his grandson they were talking about.

“To you.”

-

Paquin frowned at the mention of her killing Kevan. It was a regret of hers. Not because of Mira. And not because she felt bad about killing someone. She just felt that she shouldn’t have been the one to do kill him. Kylo could’ve done it. Paquin could have done something to distract in that situations. But she didn’t. And now Kylo was using that against her.

She supposed she deserved it, for the Mira comment.

Paquin knew she could be easily plowed through. By anyone, but especially by Mira. She knew she needed improvement and that Gnaeus did as well. But she couldn’t help but think Kylo was going about it the wrong way. “I know I need to learn more. And I know Gnaeus to needs to pull himself together rather quickly. But there are better ways to do it than to be so mean. There’s a difference between coddling and being understanding.” She tried to reason.

“I can’t improve if all you do is become agitated with me when I don’t do perfectly right off the bat. Neither can Gnaeus.” Paquin sighed. This was useless, wasn’t it? She’d just stick to Gnaeus teaching her the Force. Or even Ariel. And she supposed Gnaeus had endured Kylo’s methods of teaching for years. She shook her head. “Nevermind. You’re the Commander. You’ve been doing the same thing for years. Obviously, that’s worked well for you,” a hint of sarcasm in her tone.

She was being just as mean as Kylo, wasn’t she? She sighed. “I’m so—“ Paquin’s apology was interrupted by Ariel.

“Uh, knock knock,” Ariel announced their arrival. Ariel had heard the last bit of what Paquin said and realized that something was going on between the two that wasn’t sexual tension. Ariel knew she was interrupting, she wanted to break the tension. And she wasn’t sure how. She just didn’t want her babies arguing. ‘Kylo has one person, one person who likes him.’ Ariel complained to herself.

Apparently Kylo can’t be left unsupervised.

Paquin shot Ariel a look before her eyes softened back to their natural doe-y look. It was brief but Ariel still caught it, was caught off guard by it.

-

Time had slipped from Finn’s mind. He’d become much too invested in grasping the pulls of the Force and expanding out further and further. Finn picked it up quick, to the surprise of no one. With Mira’s help, he could branch out further. He could feel little microscopic movements in his environment. The grass swaying in the wind. Billowing of leaves on trees. Bugs roaming around in the dirt.

He couldn’t feel too far, but he could sense a bit into the Plateau. He could feel the movements of larger creatures, but not large enough to be threats. Or not willing to go out into the open to score some food. But most activity was at night anyway.

It wasn’t until Finn felt Mace shift through the Force did Finn let his focus go. He opened his eyes, the first thing he saw was Mira. And then he noticed that it had gotten brighter, the sun high in the sky now. What time was it? How long had they been at this?

The second thing he noticed was the floating dew, immediately bewildered by it. He knew he wasn’t doing it, as it would’ve all dropped by then. Besides, he didn’t have that sort of focus yet. But he knew Mira did. He was surprised none of it had evaporated yet. Maybe it had to do with the Force. But was water even a living thing?

Finn had some things to learn.

“Mira,” Finn interrupted, “I think I’ve gotten the hang of feeling out with the Force. Or at least improved. What do you say we, oh, I don’t know…run around a little bit?” Finn questioned, trying and failing to suppress the grin on his face.

Mace hummed then, “You should be learning to fight, too.” He commented. Running was useful. But maybe knowing how to wield a lightsaber was more pertinent.

“I know how to fight.” Stormtrooper training. Intense stuff. But he’d been quite good at it.

“With a lightsaber?”

“Yup.” Luke’s. Anakin’s. Er, Rey’s? Either way, he’d used it. It was similar to wielding other melee weapons but yet had a completely different feel. Though, he had yet to wield Hot Tamale’s lightsaber. Would the synthetic crystal alter the way it felt? Would it feel evil or something? Finn realized those were probably just naive thoughts. It was probably just the same.

-

Caius snorted, shaking his head ever so slightly at August. Yes, an IT-O following August around would go over swimmingly. Not. Though, Caius didn’t think August would bring it into the Senate meeting. Not with their current plan.

Caius stood then. “I’ll talk to Adelaide about getting our hands on some more IT-O units and integrating the training.” They’d have to find time for Adelaide’s soldiers and his and Alexander’s pilots. It shouldn’t be too terribly hard to work into their current training. Caius grabbed a bite to eat before he’d take his departure. It was convenient and Caius had been too busy to eat.

“Your new best friend is your problem, though, August.” Caius decided. Hux was hardly August’s friend, but that was the joke. Besides, August would probably be able to get information out of Hux better than Caius or Alexander, who were both openly critical of Hux and his lady friend. Hux barely knew Seig. And August and Hux were fellow gingers. Surely that meant something.

“I’ll see you on Coruscant.” Caius took his dismissal.

“You’re making this really easy to understand why Kylo has issues,” Gnaeus murmured under his breath as Anakin suggested that sexual tension was gross. It was perfectly natural, but of course, not to a Skywalker. He just sighed and followed Ariel, a little slower, but not much, making sure his balance was well under control. He didn’t drink nearly as much, and his tolerance was good, but still…caution didn’t hurt.

He was able to talk with Anakin, after all.

He was also quite happy to be interrupting Kylo and Paquin as he heard Paquin’s words.

Kylo was not pleased at all with what Paquin said, and a part of him wanted to shout about what Snoke had seen. How he could not be nice, how he shouldn’t be nice, because he did care. Because he was worried they were all going to die, horrendously, because he wasn’t pushing them hard enough to be better. Her words wanted to break him of the harshness again, to make him admit that he knew…he understood…but he was afraid.

They could hate him so long as they didn’t die. So long as they stayed on his side.

He was about to snap something unkind when Paquin started to open her mouth to apologize, to interrupt her, but all of that was interrupted by Ariel, and Gnaeus. Kylo shot them both a glare immediately for it, and folded his arms over his chest. “Can I help you with something, Ariel?” His eyes flickered then to Gnaeus, hardening, “Perhaps you need help opening a pickle jar?”

Gnaeus wasn’t completely sure what they interrupted, but he was also quite certain it had little to do with sexual tension – though apparently Ariel setting jealousy in Kylo’s mind hadn’t faded. He still didn’t take well to the insult. “No.” He snapped back, but answered the question, “Ariel and I were talking a bit about Paquin’s stick and about what I could read on it, and we realized it might be able to withstand a lightsaber blow. We came to find Paquin – and not you – to try and test it out.”

“What does it matter if it can withstand a lightsaber?” Kylo was too agitated to realize that was actually something significant or to be concerned with.

“That’s why we weren’t looking for you.” Gnaeus stated simply, not answering. “Paquin, could we test it?” He addressed her instead of Kylo right then.

~***~

Mira opened her eyes slowly as she took in a deep breath, pulling back in, feeling more at peace than she had in a while. Likely, not something a sane person would think in the Carrion Plateau, but such meditations and such nature made her calm. She smiled at Finn as he addressed her, recalling the calm she’d felt last night, too.

With Hux. ‘Still need to mention it…damn Mace.’

Mira chuckled at Finn’s query of running around, and gave a nod to Mace. “I agree with you both. Mace, since I will have some time away in the Senate today, and likely at other times, would you want to take over Finn’s lightsaber training? You’re among the best.”

“Among? I am the best!” Mace didn’t leave that to argument.

“Mm, maybe. But would you?” Mira could fight with the lightsabers, and she knew she was good enough to teach him, but this could be a good way for Mace and Finn to bond, and a good way for Mace to start to involve himself in the larger project, too.

Mace let out a huff, but agreed, “Yeah. I can do that.”

“Thank you.” Mira then looked to Finn as she rose, and he rose with her, “I’ll teach you to run,” she agreed. “It follows what we were just doing – feeling the Force. Everything begins there, though.” Which was why it was so critical. The dew started to fall away, back to the ground. “You’re going to seek it within yourself, and you’re going to increase how quickly it moves within you – all of you.” Sure, he could just do it to his legs, but that’d end up feeling rather awkward and he’d likely end up stumbling when the rest of his form wasn’t prepared to keep up with the sprint.

“Got it!” Finn gave a nod, and took a breath, trying to center himself again. He was distracted by a thought, “How do you do that so quickly? Like just…no thought, boom, running fast?”

“Practice.” Mira shrugged, “It’ll get easier. Now…focus.” Mira encouraged, and when Finn again took a breath and again started to center himself, Mira let her own focus follow the movement of the Force about Finn, and then, she sprinted several yards away, turned, and looked for him.

~***~

“Damn me,” August chuckled, though he wasn’t surprised at all that Hux was his problem. He had aligned with Hux. He created this alliance. He would deal with it – this was why he was the leader, after all. ‘I should actually test how well my training is, anyway.’ August thought. He technically had the same sort of training as Leia, though he doubted it was so.

He also had training by being exposed to IT-O’s, which was less than fun, but he’d learned how to deal with it and reveal nothing. The question was, really, how well did it compare to a Force user’s abilities?

Seig took his own muffin, “You do this to yourself.” He pointed out to August, standing in the doorway a moment, “You know that, right?”

“Yes, I do,” he agreed. “I’m going to find my murder ball and I’ll meet you on Coruscant.” He should introduce Murder Ball to BB-8. Probably. Maybe it was only because they were both balls that he thought of it, but the imagery of it also amused him just a little bit. Seig rolling his eyes also helped establish it could be entertaining, even if he hadn’t read his thoughts.

Seig vanished. ‘It’ll happen anyway.’ August determined, and he pulled himself up and out of his seat. It was time to get moving, touch base with Hux, and make sure the meeting with Carise was still on. ‘Bring the murder ball with me to Hux, or…?’ Yes. It could spawn a conversation about why he had it with him, which may help him with figuring out how to ask Hux about his own mental fortitude and the FO training for such things.

He pulled himself out the door, and made sure to briefly check-in with Julia and Johann, before he went to find his droids, and specifically, his IT-O.

“There you are, Toc.” T0-CK. The black orb swirled in the air and beeped out its curiosity. “You’re coming to Coruscant with me today.” It beeped out cheerfully, and began to hover after August, practically bouncing in the air behind him like a cheerful, metal fairy. It bounced questions and curiosities off in its chirpy language, and August responded to them all as they walked.

His droid was menacingly curious.

Paquin sighed, agitated by Kylo’s agitation. Everything she said went in one ear and out the other. They argued and it was all for nothing, as neither of them agreed with the reasoning of the other. And in the end, Paquin felt bad. She’d been mean. Even if Kylo had been less than kind, she didn’t think he deserved the things she said. And not to mention it wasn’t like her to even say such things.

She ran a hand over her hair, smoothing it away from her face. She tuned back into the snappy conversation when Gnaeus mentioned her stick. She instinctively looked down to her collection of items, including her stick. It was broken. It was hard for her to believe it would resist a lightsaber if something had already broken it. But, who knew? She couldn’t read the stick, so trusting Gnaeus and Ariel was the best bet.

She ignored Gnaeus’s dismissal of Kylo’s question, ignored any less than nice tones shared between the two. She hummed her consent, turning away from Kylo to hand over her stick and along with it, her lightsaber. She didn’t think Ariel nor Gnaeus had nearly enough time to create either of their lightsabers. As she neared Gnaeus, she could smell the distinct scent of alcohol on him. Ariel was expected, but not Gnaeus. But she said nothing, especially not in front of Kylo. If anyone deserved to drink, it was him.

Paquin herself was tempted to drink something. Maybe steal away some wine--diluted, of course, but enough to make her giggly--and take a bath. If she could sneak away that long.

As she handed over the stick and her lightsaber, she questioned, “What if it’s not resistant to a lightsaber and it’s broken?”

“Then it’s a regular stick and essentially useless. We can go outside and find you a new one with just as much importance.” Ariel chimed in, joking of course. But Paquin didn’t seem to appreciate it by the look she shot Ariel. Again, Ariel was surprised. She hadn’t even tried to make Paquin jealous, so why was she upset with her? Paquin herself didn’t even notice her shift in attitude towards Ariel.

“What if the writing has some sort of secret in it?”

“If it did, Gnaeus and I would have figured that out already.” Ariel pointed out. But Ariel hadn’t really taken a look at it anyway, just knew from what Anakin said.

Paquin knew she was right, but despite that, her mouth pressed together in a pout, “Hm.”

-

Practice. Everything took practice.

Obviously.

But still Finn couldn’t help but think it would be terribly wonderful for him to not have to practice and for him to just be good at it. But this wasn’t unpleasant practice, at least. Finn found it all incredibly interesting. He was learning and becoming involved in this thing that he had previously been unsure of. It wasn’t forced and stressful like Stormtrooper training was.

And Finn knew, even if he didn’t become a pro at the whole running thing right then, he’d at least redeem himself during his practice with Mace later.

‘Okay, focus.’ Finn told himself. He knew how to feel the Force, and single himself out from other things within the Force. He’d need to get more familiar with that, maybe do it on his own sometime. But for now, he had to figure out how to speed the Force up. Did he have to consciously move his legs too? Or did the Force take care of that? Well, he’d figure it out.

He knew Mira had taken off using her fancy perfect Force speed and was waiting for him to do the same. And he knew Mace was watching him as well, waiting. ‘You’re gonna be so bad ass after this.’ He told himself.

He once again entered that ever-so focused state. He could feel the shift in what he supposed he’d call ‘his Force’, compared to the stillness of the rest of the Force surrounding him. A good start, he supposed. So, with that feeling, he took off.

But he was running normally. In his attempt, his focus dropped from the Force to actually run himself. He ran a few steps before realizing he was doing it normally. “Okay, backing it up!” He didn’t let his initially failure deter him. “I’ll try it again.”

And so he did, focusing once more. And he pushed himself to run again. He started out normally running, but then his pace picked up. And before he knew it, he was zooming off. Once he realized, once he felt the previously nonexistent wind hit his face, he grew excited. And in his excitement, he lost some focus. Instead of moving the Force through his whole body, he could only keep it focused on his legs.

He began to lose balance, his torso leaning back as his legs moved forward. He quickly slowed himself, stumbling backwards as he came to an almost complete stop. But he regained his balance, caught himself before he fell over. He stopped in the general vicinity of Mira. He paused, and then a grin broke out on his face. “Woo! That was fun! How’d I do, Mira?”

-

Hux was once again in his beloved ship, leaning over his datapad as he sat at the table within his ship. Mira’s Force killing stone sat next to him, Hux occasionally taking a break to take it in his hands and twirl it, as if examining it. He’d mostly been going over reports and responding to messages regarding things on the Finalizer and the First Order’s other bases.

Cimarosa had apparently been cleaned up as best the First Order and the Resistance could manage. Arrangements to repair damages to buildings and such were being made. And for the most part, his people were packing up and leaving the planet, which was good. In case something like Cimarosa or Eriadu happened again, they’d have more resources and people available.

He also sent Carise a reminder message of their meeting, time and location. She responded and he could tell through the message that she was annoyed and unenthusiastic. That made two of them.

But he didn’t spend all his time on his datapad. He’d ventured out for a few moments to catch up with his Stormtroopers on Eriadu. Most things had already been taken care of the day before. That day seemed to be a recovery day for everyone. Including Phasma, who he’d run into. She donned her armor once again, but he could tell that under it she was hungover. And probably looked like hell.

And then he returned back to his ship.

Millicent jumped from the table, where she napped alongside Hux’s datapad, and ran to the door. She sniffed at the cracks, pawing ever so slightly. Hux figured it was Lares, the nexu, coming to investigate the Forcekiller again. So he stood, figuring he’d let the large, not-cat cat come sniff around. Lares and Millicent got on well enough. But when Hux opened the door, it was not Lares, but rather his owner.

And an IT-O.

“Is there something I can help you with, Governor?” Hux asked, always enthusiastic.

Gnaeus wanted to convince himself that it was the alcohol that made him snappy at Kylo, but he knew that wasn’t the whole reason. The energy in the air told him that Ariel’s words to make Kylo jealous were having an effect, at least on the other man’s temper. Even if Kylo couldn’t place it, he was angry – and Gnaeus knew he was fueling it by being snippy with him, by ignoring him with his statement that he wasn’t looking for him, but Paquin.

Alcohol, he told himself. He wasn’t so sure he wanted to play Ariel’s game anymore about getting them together if Kylo was going to be this upset over it all – Paquin deserved better than him. Someone nice. Someone not a Knight. ‘She can’t have anyone, anyway.’

He shook his head as the gist of the conversation returned to him, taking the lightsaber that was offered in his actual hand. Paquin was pouting, “I’m sure I’ll remember enough from what I’m read, in case it is important later and we find the rest of it,” he assured her, before looking at the broken stick and turning the lightsaber on. He took the stick from Paquin then, and glanced around, then shrugged and started to set it on the floor.

“You can hold it in the air with the Force.” Kylo reminded bluntly.

Gnaeus tried not to wince at the tone, but he did. Still, he did as Kylo noted, putting the stick up into the air between them all. “All right. Here goes nothing.” And Gnaeus slashed at the stick, keeping it firmly in place even against the lightsaber blow.

It held. It didn’t break at all.

Before Kylo could make a comment, he tried to thrust the lightsaber through it, and again, it held.

“I knew it!” Anakin cheered in the background, for Ariel and Gnaeus to hear. “It can resist a lightsaber. It must be made of wood from Kashyyyk, and then…enhanced…somehow.”

Even Kylo looked a bit surprised, but he shook his head, shook it off, and said basically what Anakin said, “It must be from Kashyyyk. That wood was used to make some lightsaber hilts.” He wasn’t going to give the stick too much credit.

“Yeah, but you know our hilts can be destroyed by a blade. So can those hilts, I bet,” Gnaeus pointed out, the lightsaber beam drawing back and he held it out to Paquin, while also hovering the stick back over to her. “This is something special,” Gnaeus tried to insist.

“I’m sure,” Kylo didn’t care, “but how does this,” he gestured at the stick, “matter right now?” He looked between Ariel and Gnaeus, clearly seeking a reason for the interruption for something so petty in his mind. Why weren’t they training? Why had they been drinking together and talking about asinine theories of sticks?

~***~

Mace couldn’t help but smile, touched by pride as his son did falter, but he didn’t let it get him down. ‘Doesn’t have my temper, that’s for damn sure.’ He didn’t seem to have Ada’s temper, either, and Mace canted his head a bit as he watched, the smile not quite leaving his lips despite his attempt to be serious as he observed all of this. The back-and-forth. The Jedi and the Padawan…the first steps.

A story as old as time, and just as interesting every time. Just like the Gray Jedi, they never truly seemed to die. Their founders faltered and failed, but the resolve…it remained. There had been attempts at creating it over the history of the Jedi.

Here it was again. The beginnings of it, and he felt a momentary spark of pity when he saw the Force react not to Finn’s amusement and happiness, but Mira’s. The way the grass moved, the soil and the rocks lifted as she laughed over Finn’s enthusiasm. He understood. In this form, it could be considered endearing to some, but… ‘But.’ Anger. Sorrow. Passionate emotions would drive the Force to follow her will. He’d seen it in his time. Knew it personally before he got a grip through throwing himself into focus with the lightsaber.

If she’d been caught young enough, given the proper training, this wouldn’t be an issue…but she wasn’t. He wondered briefly if it could be overcome as she heard her answer Finn, even from so far.

“You did good, Finn, but…we’re going to have to take it up a notch.

“Huh?”

And Mira patted Finn on the shoulder, to his confusion as she stepped back, “Tag.” And then off she went.

“That’s not fair! Mira! Augh!” And again Finn tried to focus quicker, tried to get into it, and follow after her – catch her. He wouldn’t. Mace knew that, but he understood the tactic, too. This was a fun, safe, and competitive way to teach Finn how to get better. A child’s game – but with a purpose.

“It’s a pity the Jedi weren’t around for them.” Mace murmured to Jinn as he watched them at play.

“The Jedi were…through Luke.”

“You know what I mean.” The whole council. The actual order and organization. “There’s a lot to do, isn’t there?”

“Yes.”

“Ain’t no more running from it,” Mace consented, “Now that I’m in the mess of it, I can’t even see what’s going to happen. Snoke must be messing with it. This whole world feels like a shatterpoint. Like Coruscant.” He complained of it, recalling when he and Yoda had tried to foresee the future, see the Sith, to no avail. There was just a constant uncertainty, and he felt that now, as if any single action could change everything. He didn’t like it. He liked certainty.

He let them continue their play, running around longer, until the sun was higher in the air and Mira finally called it, laughing at how exhausted Finn looked, since he’d kept alternating from using the Force, and losing his focus. She was a bit tired too, admittedly, but she wasn’t showing it near as bad as Finn, and she led him back to the spot they’d meditated, and to Mace, to take them out of the Carrion Plateau before they were late to Coruscant.

~***~

August had just lifted his fist to knock on the door when the door opened, and Millicent all but darted out from it. August considered throwing his foot in her path, but the Toc floated down immediately, beeping out its curiosity and interest, whirling around the cat as Hux asked his question.

“Toc, you know she can’t understand you, right?”

Toc denied this as Millicent lifted a hesitant paw to bat it. It hit, and Toc seemed to let out a squeal as if that proved Millicent understood, before Millicent hit it again. And again. Rapid-fire batting. Toc flew right back up to head-level with Tarkin, the high-pitched chirps of the cat being a demon escaping it, comparing it immediately to Lares who had apparently tackled it out of the air.

August lifted a hand, and Toc went silent after an apology was chirped out. Tarkin had once considered giving it an actual voice, only to realize he’d have to make it sound like a 5-year old, since that’s all he could hear through the beeps. A child. An annoying and curious child with a serious immortality complex.

“General Hux, I am about to leave for Coruscant when it occurred to me that I should check with you the time and place to meet Senator Carise,” he never had to call her Lady again. He loved Leia for that, “As well as to question how you intended to show up. Coruscant loves its publicity, and while we are not political allies, our military alliance is going to be a topic. I’d prefer we make a public display of unity by arriving together. Not on the same ship,” he wouldn’t be caught dead in Hux’s ship, “but, same time.”

Toc started to chirp again, wanting to know why that was important, while Ransolm spoke into his earpiece, murmurs of what the Jedi were up to in the Carrion Plateau, but Tarkin pretended not to even hear him, and he certainly didn’t respond. His side was muted so his words weren’t carried back to Ransolm.

It was Toc that commented on it, asking what Ransolm was saying, immediately curious. It couldn’t make it out. “Toc, what have we talked about?” Several thousand times.

Toc deflated again, seeming to hover lower, as it repeated in slower beeps that Toc was supposed to be quiet in front of officials. Except Hux wasn’t an official. That was beeped bitterly.

Paquin wasn’t pouting because of the potential loss of her stick. Not really. She had the stick for only a few hours, and while she had been drawn to it, she didn’t think she’d be too upset if it was destroyed at the end of it all. There was the concern that there was some other secret to it, but that wasn’t what made her pout. She didn’t quite understand herself, why she was pouting.

Still, Gnaeus assured her. And she only blinked at Kylo’s tone, ignoring it for the most part. She felt bad when Gnaeus flinched, but she said nothing. She was tired of arguing about it.

Gnaeus slashed at the stick with her lightsaber and…nothing. Nothing happened to her stick. He stabbed at it, and again it was fine. Paquin was pleased that her stick was intact and accepted it back when Gnaeus gave it to her, along with her lightsaber which she placed back at her hip. She wondered if the rest of the stick, where ever it may be, told what it was made out of. As Gnaeus and Ariel didn’t seem entirely convinced it was this Kashyyyk wood.

“Are you serious, Kylo?” Ariel wondered out loud. Well, she supposed Kylo wasn’t much good at thinking, now was he? “With this,” Ariel gestured to the stick Paquin held, “we can make weapons and armor, all lightsaber resistant. We’re not the only ones with lightsabers anymore, Kylo. Mira, Luke, Rey, who knows who else. Maybe your mom’s got a lightsaber now, who knows.”

The list was likely going to grow.

“Point is, our armor clearly can’t withstand lightsabers.” Kylo got totally shit on while wearing it. “Maybe a couple of blaster shots. And if are hilts break,” mainly Paquin’s, her future one, or Gnaeus’s — Kylo had those special little crossguards that worked to protect his hand. But Ariel left her sentence there, what she was going to say obvious. But she didn’t want to complete it in front of Gnaeus.

“Whatever this is could give us an advantage over the others.” Kashyyyk wood, or whatever it was. If only they had the rest of the stick.

-

Finn was a little out of breath by the end of their play. Did Mira have to go through this when she was learning how to do the sprint? It was a lot of work, but Mira made it look so easy. ‘Eh, you’ll get the hang of it.’ Finn assured himself as he and Mira returned to their previous spot, returned to Mace and BB-8, who Finn was fairly certain had gone into a low power mode, likely its way of taking a nap or something.

Finn grabbed one of the water bottle and easily downed it, the rising sun and their activity definitely dehydrating him. Immediately after downing an entire bottle of water, Finn took a deep breath in. He reached out to his blonde companion and patted her on the shoulder. “Tag. You’re it.” Finn winked, a silly grin overtaking his lips. Even if the game, the practice was over, Finn would consider that a win. For the laughs.

“You did good, Finn.” Mace spoke his praise to his son. While Finn hadn’t exactly excelled at the sprinting lesson, he didn’t give up. And that was something Mace was proud of.

And that praise warmed Finn. “Thanks, D—“ Finn caught himself nearly calling Mace ‘dad’. The word was something he already associated with Mace, but Finn wasn’t quite ready to say it yet. And wasn’t sure if Mace was ready to hear it yet. “Mace.” Finn finalized.

BB-8 seemed to snap back into the world as the trio were close to leaving the droid behind. With a squeal, it quickly rolled to catch up.

There was a brief moment of silence before Finn spoke again, “Are you ready to slip into the little number Hux gifted you?” Finn teased Mira, referring to the Admiral’s uniform. He was asking if she was ready to assume that position, in front of who knows how many people. Hundreds. Thousands.

“The what?” Mace questioned, eyes narrowing, a little disgust in his tone. His mind went to something else, not a uniform.

“I...it’s not- it’s a uniform. Mira’s Admiral uniform. To wear to Coruscant.” Finn corrected himself.

“Hm,” Mace was concerned about that. Not only the First Order, but General Hux. Hux and Mira seemed to have some sort of connection. Some sort of sway over each other. Attachment. Mace couldn’t help but be concerned that it could be an issue in the future. Perhaps one day the Grey Jedi and the First Order would have conflicting opinions. But there would be that attachment between those on either side.

Mace almost wanted to ask Qui-Gon what his thoughts on Hux were. Mace was definitely a little stuck in the old Jedi way of thinking. Despite having contradicted it since the fall of the Jedi.

-

Hux only blinked at the spectacle the droid, Toc, and his cat were making. Hux noted that the droid, despite being an IT-O, had few to no threatening qualities. Millicent circled under Toc after it floated up and away from her, chirping at it. She wanted to smack it. Her tail flicked in irritation before she turned, sauntering back into the ship to drink out of her water bowl.

Hux’s eyes flickered back to the other ginger, “Alisandre Hotel, oh eight hundred. A private conference room’s been reserved,” he informed. It was a place typically used for events, private meetings. It wouldn’t be a suspicious or scandalous place to meet someone. And as a bonus, it was fancy. Hux could order someone to bring him a nice, expensive wine for when he got sick of occupying Carise while August and Mira ran off to the Senate meeting.

No, Hux wouldn’t do that. He wasn’t going to drink on the job. Not with Carise around, as much as he’d want to. He’d just imagine it.

“I wasn’t planning on making a grand entrance.” Just dock his ship and make his way to the hotel, paparazzi in toe if that’s what it came to be. He hadn’t planned on making a statement of unity, but it wasn’t a bad idea. And Hux expressed that, “However, I think that’s a good plan.”

The media wasn’t something Hux often cared about and in the beginning, when he was young, he hadn’t realized just how useful publicity was. Perhaps if he did, he’d been able to use it to his advantage. Journalists were a nuisance, but wonderful mean of manipulating the public. Perhaps arriving with Tarkin—at the same time only, of course—would gain him leverage in the future. That show of a strong alliance, whether it was true or not.

Hux could imagine the controversy now. But hardcore supporters of Tarkin would stomach it. Support it, surely. Hux could use it when working on the New Republic at a later date.

General Hux’s eyes darted to the droid, eyes narrowing ever so slightly. Of course, Hux could understand the beeps. And foolishly on Hux’s part, dismissed the mention of Ransolm as something he decided not to care about. “I find it hard to believe that an interrogation droid was necessary to bring along to discuss arrival details.” Hux expressed his slight suspicion.

They were idiots.

All of them were idiots. ‘Not Paquin, she’s still new here.’ Kylo corrected, but he expected more from both Ariel and Gnaeus, and his crossed arms and stance said it all as Ariel tried to tell him how useful it was. “Really, we’re going to make armor out of this stick?” Kylo asked, gesturing towards it, “When we don’t know what it’s made of, where the rest of it is, or even how it works? The Sith never used armor made of it, there’s no history relating to it – but this stick is going to help us?” Kylo’s temper was breaking, boiling over, with the stupidity presented to him.

“Well…we’d have to find the rest of it, and examine—”

“IN WHAT REALITY DO WE HAVE THAT KIND OF TIME, GNAEUS?” Kylo snapped at him, and Gnaeus didn’t flinch this time, even as Kylo’s hands clenched together and he felt the Force pressing against him. Against the general area around Kylo Ren. Gnaeus’s stance shifted a bit, to try and prepare himself if Kylo truly did snap. “Armor, weapons – these are not what we need. We have these things, good enough as it is.”

Gnaeus still held his head up a bit, “It’s not a stupid idea for…later, though, is it?” He thought if he could let Kylo think of that, it would be easier.

Kylo just narrowed his eyes, “Sure. If there is a later, Gnaeus. Then we can look into pieces of wood and how they may be useful, but right now, it’s not important in the least. We’ll be swarmed by Stormtroopers and Mira and the Resistance long before we ever get close to putting together this stick and its mystery, so there is no point in focusing on it. It is a distraction,” his eyes moved between the three of them, “Which seems to be all any of you look for. At least Paquin approached me for training, while you two just ran off to drink!”

There was some pride in his voice, even if he and Paquin had started to argue. At least she’d come to him. At least she was trying to learn. “I know you two were meant more for the research side of the Knights, but that is no excuse for your behavior!”

~***~

Dummu’ocor’iagei was not happy as he entered the atmosphere of Korriban, and his red eyes fell upon the ships there. The Chiss immediately pressed the radio button, “Raxi, this is Bridger. I made it to Korriban. It is occupied. Should I continue?” He did not want to continue, but he also didn’t want to run. It was a conflict he was used to dealing with, and it was one he usually opted in favor of the ‘not running’ option.

With Kevan dead, though, things had started to feel more…real. He felt less immortal.

Raxi wanted them to investigate each of Kevan’s supposed homes and rooms. She had risen up as the leader of them in Kevan’s absence, though there was no real discussion of it. She just grabbed the microphone, like her codename, and started to issue orders and information – like apparently Cora had been contacted, the ever-mysterious figure in Kevan’s life.

“Yes.” Raxi’s voice eventually came over the com. “Just proceed with caution, and go park your ship somewhere further from them – did you take one with stealth?”

“We have stealth ships?”

“…I—I don’t know, just park it somewhere then and make sure to get off. Bring your earpiece, and if you need an extraction….”

“I’ll call. I know.” He didn’t think anyone would come, but he supposed he’d have someone to hear his last words.

He circled further from the place he saw the other ships, and looked for a good tomb to hide his own ship near.

~***~

Mira glanced at Finn’s hand, and then rolled her eyes as he claimed she was it, but she didn’t deny it. It was…a good humor. She didn’t want to quash it right then, even if the mood had her guards a bit low. Too low, really, as she couldn’t contain the way the blood rushed to her cheeks at Finn’s comment, not the words themselves, but the teasing tone. Mace’s reaction hardly helped, though she gave a quick nod as Finn clarified. “I can’t go to Coruscant dressed like a Knight of Ren, and I’m not dressing like a Jedi,” she added. “The Gray don’t exactly have a dress code.”

“I’ve noticed,” Mace commented.

Before he could say more, or even consider expressing his concerns with the First Order and the Gray Jedi again, Mira had turned her gaze away from him and to Finn, “I am,” she told him, even if there was some anxiety under the surface. Even if she knew, in truth, she wasn’t. She would fake it. “And I appreciate that you still aren’t just walking away from me for it.”

“Of course not!” Finn shook his head, “I don’t like the First Order, and I don’t support them, but you’re…well, you’ve helped, a lot, with getting things on track, and you’re training me. Just don’t expect me to start supporting the First Order any time soon.”

“Not at all,” Mira said, shaking her head, “Quite the opposite, actually. I want you to make sure I don’t…lose my own focus. I support the First Order, but I want you to call me out if I…if my support seems blind or without a solid basis, as it was with the Knights. I need you to stand up to me if that happens, and show me, because I do believe my attachment to the First Order has the potential to be detrimental to my own goals with the Gray Jedi,” she allowed, phrasing it all as if it were the First Order she was truly attached to. "I didn't...quite realize how attached I was." She still wasn't exactly sure, but she knew enough that she needed to be aware. And keep Finn aware. Even if nothing could come of it, nothing needed to - the feeling was enough. She had done stupid, stupid things before based on attachment.

Her cheeks hadn’t quite lost their reddened tint.

~***~

August knew the Alisandre Hotel. He’d been there a few times himself, of course. He preferred his apartment in the Republica, but he doubted Carise Sindian could afford such luxury any longer. He kept his grin inward. Alisandre was fancy enough, but he hoped Carise bitched about it all the same. He hoped she was still wallowing in her own losses.

“Good. Then we will coordinate our departure, and be sure to land in the same hangar, as well,” August accepted, pleased that Hux wasn’t going to make a fuss over it. It would be easy to keep the majority of the paparazzi from following Hux, too. August was usually more willing to provide them with the sound bits they’d want, and he’d feed them bits of Hux.

It was already obvious from the last time Hux had been on Coruscant that he wasn’t the talkative sort. That would detour most but the most ambitious, or stupidest, from following him.

When Toc was brought up, August glanced briefly at the droid, as if questioning if it was going to try speaking again. It just hovered there instead, momentarily chastened enough to be quiet, so August looked back at Hux, “In case you have not realized, General, I enjoy making a grand entrance. If I have to convince the Senate that Snoke can control people, then I may as well bring something they know and understand is able to manipulate people, to help them grasp the concept.”

He also just enjoyed intimidating people and making a spectacle. A scandal. “However, I also brought him along with me because I wanted you to remind me to inquire a bit about just that. I presume you’re familiar with IT-O’s and how they work, and I also presume you’re aware of how the Force telepathy or…mental invasions, feel,” August honestly just assumed at some point Kylo had mindraped Hux, or Snoke had. “I’m looking into bettering the mental resilience of my armies. The stone that Mira has isn’t enough – unless you’re planning to actually do some research on it and mass produce similar things – to protect us from Snoke, and I thought you could enlighten me as to how similar the IT-O and the Force are. I’d rather not learn from first-hand experience, though that does seem to be what always ends up happening.”

Naturally, Toc let out some chipper beeps about how it had ‘helped’ Tarkin learn and how much better he was now. It couldn’t influence him at all! Tarkin ignored it.

Last edited:
Ariel could feel Kylo getting angrier over the stick. Or not over the stick. Over lots of things, but pushed over the edge by what Kylo thought to be a useless piece of wood. Ariel wanted to argue. That it wasn’t as big of a mystery as Kylo thought it was. That it could be important. But it was a big mystery. It could be important, but Kylo wouldn’t go for it.

If Ariel had been on her own, researching it, she could’ve knocked it out quick. Surely. She knew what it did, she had an idea of where other answers might be. But Kylo wouldn’t let them go to Coruscant, and Ariel wasn’t stupid enough to sneak off just to find out. Not to mention Coruscant was so big and the Jedi Order collapsed so long ago. Maybe Ariel could ask Anakin to ask his Force Ghost friends about it. Or something.

Gnaeus didn’t flinch at Kylo’s shouting, nor did Ariel. Kylo yelling wasn’t unfamiliar to them. Paquin, however, was a different story. Paquin jumped, she knew he was angry but she hadn’t expected him to yell. Paquin was used to passive-aggressive scolding, the dry and unimpressed bitching. That happened a lot in the First Order. But screaming, not so much. At least, not around her.

Kylo insisted that what they had was good enough, but Ariel wondered if it was. It wasn’t just the poor Resistance anymore. It was the rich First Order. Their resources. And look at the ship that they, the Knights of Ren, were left with. A rickety pile of junk. But Ariel didn’t want to question how long they’d last. She didn’t want to think of it

Maybe Kylo was right in the fact they were all looking for distractions, but could they be blamed?

Paquin felt a swell of giddiness in the moment when she heard the hint of pride from Kylo, glad she had done something right, something that pleased Kylo. But it dampened when it was used to shame Ariel and Gnaeus. She wouldn’t have even come to Kylo if it weren’t for Gnaeus. “We didn’t run off to just drink!” Ariel protested though she knew she couldn’t mention Anakin. She shook her head. “Even if we did, I think we’ve deserved it, at this point.” Ariel defended. “Oh wait, no. In what reality would we have time to take a break, right Kylo?”

Paquin tentatively cut in then, “Maybe we should all take a break for a little bit. Today’s been stressful and long. And who knows when we’ll be tasked with something else.” She attempted to suggest. “We’re all much too aggravated with each other for a group who’s supposed to work as a team.”

-

Dummu’ocor’iagei had come across a few entrances to tombs, none of which were deep enough or out of sight enough to disguise his ship. Stealth ships would have been nice. Maybe that would be something nice to invest in. But who knows how much time they’d have, in the long run. Raxi, him, the rest. Without Kevan. Though, he’d try to have faith in Raxi.

Eventually, Bridger found a tomb deep enough to hide the ship. It was a little far away, but he’d settle for it. He’d have to walk the rest of the way, but he expected that. Before exiting the ship, he shrugged on a jacket, a lighter colored one, pulling the hood over his head. Not really a fashion choice or because he was bothered by the chill, but with his tall frame, blue skin, red eyes, he didn’t exactly blend in to his surroundings.

Korriban was cold. But it looked like a desert. Bleak, flat. There were hills but plant life was little to none. No bushes to disguise him. Nothing. Luckily, it didn’t become an issue. As far as he knew, no one had spotted him.

He’d returned to the ships he’d seen earlier. He supposed he couldn’t go in the structure, assuming that’s where the owners of the ships were. Bridger looked between the ships and the structure, deciding maybe to take a look inside of the ships. Maybe that would provide some answer to some question.

None of them knew really who Kevan was. What kind of people Kevan was involved with.

The ships he could choose from were very different. One looked like a bundle of scraps. The other was black and sleek, most definitely an advanced ship. So between his choices, he went with the one that intrigued him more. The dark ship.

-

The First Order. Finn knew that wasn’t what she meant. Or if it was, it wasn’t really the First Order that she was attached to. Sure, she supported their political views or the purpose or whatever. And sure, she was an Admiral. But she didn’t have a relationship with the entire First Order. She hadn’t befriended the First Order. The First Order hadn’t dismissed a traitorous act of hers. Hux did that.

It was Hux she was attached to. Finn knew that. Mace knew that.

“I don’t think it’s the First Order you have attachment issues with.” Mace was blunt with it, though Finn didn’t plan on saying anything. Mace was at least glad that Mira recognized the potential danger. But she needed to realize what her actual issue was with. Step one was realizing the problem. Step two was fixing it. Or, fixing it if that time ever came.

“Don’t worry, Mira. I’ll make sure you maintain your focus.” Finn would have to differentiate between his disagreements with Mira’s opinion of the First Order to Mira blindly following the First Order. Hux. “And you know, there’s nothing wrong with being attached to someone. It could be nice to be close to someone…” Finn encouraged it, because she made it sound like it was a bad thing. It wasn’t. She just had to be careful. “You just need to know if it becomes a troublesome attachment.”

When it comes to choosing the right and wrong thing.

“Anyway,” Finn shook his head. “I’m gonna go clean up. And return BB-8 to Poe. I’ll meet you back at your ship, okay?” Finn gently nudged his arm into Mira’s. “You should clean up, too. You smell really bad.” She really didn’t, but Finn joked to lighten the mood. The joke was evident in his tone and in his playful grin. “Maybe I’ll tell my mom we’re returning to Coruscant.” Ada would be thrilled to see them, no doubt.

Finn wouldn’t object to seeing her again. He loved the fact that he had a mom in his life for the first time.

-

With departure decided, Hux thought to mention it to Mira when he got the chance. He didn’t know if she knew what time they’d be leaving. He also didn’t know if she would be tagging along to the confrontation with Carise or if she had other plans beforehand, to wait until the Senate meeting to make her first appearance as Admiral Vallens. Something like that, but he supposed it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

August went on to explain the purpose of Toc. He first said he liked to make grand entrances. “I’ve certainly noticed.” His entrances were incredibly extra, after all, how could he not notice. Then something about bringing along something that could manipulate in similar ways, which was a good reason, but Hux didn’t believe that to be the selling factor. And it didn’t explain why he needed it around Hux.

And then August went on to further explain some more.

Hux resisted the urge to shift his weight, not wanting to outwardly express his discomfort with the topic. He’d certainly been subjected to such assaults. Mostly from Snoke, which were hard to resist in the least. Along with that, during his training as a younger kid, he’d been poked and prodded by interrogation droids. A test. His training was based off the Jedi and the Jedi were trained to resist mind probes.

Something that Hux had figured aided in his above-average resistance to such things. Hux knew he had a slightly better resistance to Force effects than say, his father who didn't undergo the training that he did.

Hux was tempted in the moment to say something along the lines of it only working on the weak-minded, but decided not to. “I am going to look into the stone,” he confirmed. Whether it be reproducing it or finding where it originally came from. But that would take too long. They needed to step up their game now. “I’d say IT-O’s and the Force are quite similar. The differences being that interrogation droids use pain to weaken the mind, usually it works to get people to admit before anything else. The Force, Snoke doesn’t need to weaken the mind. It’s a protrusion that isn’t escapable. And depending on the awareness of the subject, it can even go undetected.”

There was nothing quite like the feeling of an unwanted invasion, but sometimes if one doesn’t know what to fight, it can become an unknown influence. Though, Hux was sure Snoke wanted it to hurt. Always. “I feel it has something to do with the Jedi based trained my father created. And unfortunately, the best way I’d suggest to understand it is to feel it.” At least, to know what to detect.

The resistance…it was something that could come naturally, he supposed. Maybe in Force-sensitives. But those without the same connection, it needed to be built. “Those who have undergone IT-O torture might have a better resistance to it,” same feeling of the mind being invaded. Just by a device rather than life itself.

‘There it is….’ Gnaeus noticed the momentary swell of pride, perhaps because he was looking for it. Kylo so easily offered some sort of praise to Paquin, without even thinking of it, while she noticed it. He did not find it strange from either, but it was confirming what he and Ariel suspected. Kylo was oblivious in his own way, and so was Paquin – but Paquin may be catching on.

Gnaeus did press his hand over his face when Ariel tried to defend their decision. “We didn’t deserve it,” he murmured. What had they done recently – gotten him a fake arm, and fucked up a mission with Grakkus? No, if anything, they were proving exactly why they weren’t on any missions right then.

“Well, at least one of you gets it,” Kylo glowered, annoyed with the fact it was Gnaeus who seemed to understand. He glanced to Paquin as she seemed to share Ariel’s want of a break. She may deserve it. He may deserve it, but that was only because they had been training. She made a point, though, but Kylo wanted to protest it. His throat tightened on it.

‘We can’t be close right now. The dependency will kill us all.’ He’d seen it. Yet, was this really any better? If they were at each other’s throats when a threat came, how could they join together to defeat it? He felt that frustration rise up again, the fears with it. They were all going to die, and he couldn’t do anything to stop it. He didn’t know how.

He was trying to push them, but it wasn’t working in the least. They weren’t encouraged to train harder, they just wanted to drink. Only Paquin seemed to move forward.

He may have said something about it, but his senses caught a disturbance that could hardly be called normal in this area. He turned from them, as if startled, and faced the direction of the ships, even if he couldn’t see them from here. “Did you feel that?”

“Feel what?” Obviously, Gnaeus hadn’t.

Kylo shook his head, “Never mind,” and he stormed away from them, deciding he’d just deal with it on his own. They could go have their break.

Gnaeus glanced to the two women, a questioning expression on his face.

~***~

Dummu’ocor’iagei knelt by the door to the dark ship, blissfully unaware of how closely his actions resembled Kevan’s own once upon a time on Korriban. ‘Not the Nymph, but it is similar.’ He thought as he played with the pad besides the door, working through the codes until eventually, the door slid open. ‘There we go.’ He crept into the ship and turned right on entry, heading down to what seemed to be the living areas of the ship. It was small, a personal corvette or something.

Sand and Jedi artefacts seemed to litter it, though few of the latter. He didn’t really recognize what the artefacts were, either, and he passed them by, red eyes skimming them, while his data pad was taken out to snap pictures and send them back to Raxi, just in case anything was important.

He continued on back until he hit a room, which he stepped into, and noted the empty alcohol bottles.

“I have this friend, red-head, she could drink any of us under the table.”

Unnamed friend. Like a few others, not important enough to Kevan to get nicknames. Just the ‘red-head alcoholic’ and the ‘space cowboy’. Ocor smirked a bit at the names, and decided to pick through the room a bit, but nothing much.

This wasn’t Kevan’s space, after all – he wasn’t looking for this.

~***~

Mira eyed Mace briefly, something between irritation and acceptance. She did prefer the blunt, didn’t she? Even Terex and Poe. It was probably better for her mentally to be around honest people, and she gave a slight answer, “Close enough to the First Order,” to give him the victory, but she sighed all the same at Finn’s optimism. How she wished she could steal it sometimes.

‘You don’t get it.’ Nor did she expect him to. Hopeful and brash. She smiled at his nudge, “I’ll shower, don’t worry,” she just showered last night, didn’t she? Well, she had been training. She might smell. She didn’t let her paranoia show, didn’t try to sniff to see if it was true, since his tone was at least playful. She nudged him right back, “You go on to Poe now, I’ll let Ada know you’re bringing him to Coruscant,” she gave him a wicked grin, “so you’d better remember.” She was quite serious about that, too.

“Ah—what—Mira!” She was already pulling out her datapad, “He’s a friend.”

“Mhm, and your mother should meet your friends,” Mira agreed, glanced back to Finn, “Or is there something you want to hide from her? Hm?” Teasing Finn was far more fun, since he got flustered. “Go on then,” she sent the message, alerting Ada to the fact she and Finn would be arriving on Coruscant again soon, and Finn was bringing Poe.

Finn opened his mouth to say something, and it was silenced by another voice, “Master Vallens.” He glanced over to see August and Hux, and realized then that he couldn’t feel the Force quite as well. He hadn’t been paying attention, though.

Mira gave a nod to him, to send him away, as she didn’t waste her time stepping towards the two gingers.

~***~

August knew the best way was always experience, but even he didn’t like the thought of it in this case. Experience meant going to Master Vallens or waiting until he felt it from Snoke or one of his Knights. He wouldn’t be going to Luke or Mace, he was quite certain these things were against the Jedi, and quite honestly, he trusted them less. Still, he took in what Hux had to say about the differences and similarities.

He wasn’t lying, or hiding anything. He’d felt it himself, both sorts of invasions. The IT-O did work wonders, but it was escapable, in a way. It could be resisted. It was still on the person to confess. The Force invasions…were different in that regards. The information was taken, given up, and Hux didn’t seem to know of a way to avoid it.

“I see.” August gave a slight nod, and noticed out of the corner of his eye Mace, Finn, and Mira – playful, smiles, a bit sweaty. He knew why, “Thank you, General Hux, I see I will have to proceed on the path of experience then, as per usual.” He turned and stepped down off the ramp, “Master Vallens,” he let his voice cut through the air to her, not raising it.

The trio looked over, and BB-8’s head swiveled, pointing out the IT-O in a low beep, but Mira still waved them off, approaching on her own right then. “Governor Tarkin.” Her eyes narrowed on the IT-O, “What do you want?” She wasn’t even hiding her animosity right then, the IT-O clearly had her more annoyed than it did Hux.

“Tomorrow, I presume we’ll all still be on Coruscant, and you need to work on your Force training with the mind. So do I.” August stated simply, “I want to volunteer. I need to know how it feels to have someone trying to get into my head via the Force. I’d say today, but…I’d rather not go in to the Senate after such a thing. Would that be all right by you?”

Mira was a bit taken aback by the request. She wasn’t even sure how to answer at first – it wasn’t something she intended to do with allies. “It’s…not something you want to experience, Governor Tarkin. You have an IT-O, isn’t that close enough?”

“Is it?” Under the scrutinizing gaze, August knew then that no, despite what Hux said, it wasn’t. Mira's expression revealed that much in the slight falter. “I didn’t think so. Then, needs before wants. Are you willing to assist, or not, Master Vallens?”

“No.” Mira hadn’t expected the answer to part her lips, so thoughtlessly, but it did, and she quickly sought reasons. “I’m not willing, Governor Tarkin. It won’t help us, or you – there’s no bacta-tank for the mind, if I break it open just to show you, it will leave you weak to Snoke. I’m sorry, Governor Tarkin. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to get ready to leave for Coruscant.”

Maybe they didn’t deserve a break. But they needed it. Gnaeus had his hand blown off. They’d taken so many losses. They all needed a nice long vacation. Though, that would never happen. She could only imagine the four of them walking along the beach or some shit, it would never actually happen. ‘In my dreams…’ The closest they’d get to a vacation was a five-minute break in their respective rooms.

Before Ariel could argue any further, Kylo’s attention was pulled away from them. Ariel straightened, red eyebrows furrowing. She felt nothing.

Paquin felt nothing. Kylo was the only one. And then he stormed off.

Gnaeus gave the two of them a questioning look.

Neither of them had any clue.

“Maybe it was Snoke?” Ariel offered. That’s the only thing she could think of that would draw Kylo’s attention and none of theirs. Though, it didn’t ease Ariel to think of that. What if Snoke knew they were arguing? Or knew that she and Gnaeus had been drinking? And punished Kylo for it? ‘But how would he know that?’ She knew Snoke was scary with the Force, but she didn’t think he could do that.

Paquin stared in the direction Kylo took, her look definitely being noticed by Ariel, who refrained from squealing about it. She would to Gnaeus, later. “Should we go after him?” Paquin asked, in case it wasn’t Snoke.

Ariel shrugged, “I’m sure he’ll be fine…We’ll know if he’s not,” she offered. “I’ve got a lightsaber to build. That way Kylo can’t say we’ve done nothing.” The act of building it was calming, anyway. A good enough break, she supposed. And she wouldn’t feel guilty for not doing enough.

-

Ocor didn’t pick through much, not in the bedroom. He wasn’t there to steal anything that wasn’t Kevan’s, though there were plenty of things within the ship that would be valuable. The ship itself was probably worth a pretty penny on its own. Maybe later. But probably not. Again, these people were a mystery. But how scary could an alcoholic redhead and a space cowboy be?

He didn’t spend much time in the bedroom, really he was only looking for things involving Kevan. Something obvious. Something that could hopefully lead them to more of Kevan’s life. Places he’d been.

But there were no pieces of paper or a datapad laying around. And he wasn’t about to attempt to crack into the ship’s transmissions where he may or may not find something.

He wanted to get into that damn building. Where for sure there had to be for something of Kevan’s in there. But he couldn’t because it was occupied and he’d rather not die on Korriban of all places.

As the Chiss moved from the black ship to the shittier one, he was blissfully unaware that his presence had been felt, that someone was coming for him.

-

Hux felt a sudden surge of pleasantness, relief, when he saw Mira and the others passing in the background. They all seemed happy, like they’d had fun. Well, Mira and Finn. Mace wasn’t readable, whether he was enjoying his company or not. And Hux didn’t really care about how anyone felt apart from Mira. But that pleasant feeling lasted about two seconds before Tarkin spoke again, drawing his attention.

His conversation with Hux didn’t last much longer, Tarkin quickly noticing Mira and the others as well and using the opportunity to ask Mira about training the mind.

Instead of letting it end there, Hux made sure Millicent was in the ship before closing the door and moving to join them.

He didn’t care if he was invited into the conversation or not. He decided anything that included his Admiral, included him.

He offered no input as the two conversed, but he himself was surprised that Mira had disagreed. But also amused that Tarkin was refused.

And while Mira seemed to easily tack on reasons as to why she wasn’t willing, and they seemed rather believable, Hux wasn’t convinced that those were the entirety of the reasons. Maybe she didn’t even know why she disagreed. But Hux supposed he had to find out.

He offered Tarkin only a glance before he followed after Mira.

“I’m not entirely convinced by your reasoning,” Hux told her as he fell into step with her. “Mira, we do need to put some effort towards protecting ourselves from Snoke.” He told her. He knew he couldn’t just leave it at Mira not willing to assist, he needed to have some other way. Whatever that way may be. Not for Tarkin’s sake, but for all of theirs. “I’m not going to force you into doing anything,” and she should know that by now. Even now, as Mira’s specialty in invading the mind was rather needed. Even though he knew if she were somebody else he’d order her to do it.

He refused to make her do anything that would make her uncomfortable. For some reason.

“But we need some way to defend ourselves. The void stone won’t work for our entire forces. We can’t transport it around. And until we find some source of void stones or a way to produce them, you’re our only hope.” Hux did need something from Mira, even if she refused to crack into Tarkin’s or anyone’s head. “If you don’t want to use the Force on any of us, I must ask you to find some other solution.” He still needed to be a General.

He was a leader in a great war. Usually, personal feelings weren’t issues, but for once they were. And he had to put them aside. To some degree.

Gnaeus was fairly certain it wasn’t Snoke. Kylo’s expression would have been different, and he frowned at Ariel’s idea, then looked to Paquin as she asked if they should go after him. He wanted to say ‘no’. Whatever it was, Kylo hadn’t invited them along, so he didn’t think it needed to involve them, right?

‘Or he doesn’t trust us at all any longer.’ Possible. He was a mess.

“I should make my lightsaber, too,” Gnaeus agreed with Ariel in the end, sighing. “Kylo would have told us to follow. He doesn’t have issues giving orders,” he had issues with offering direction, but not orders. He wanted them to improve, but he offered little direction or focus for that. “You could follow him,” he suggested.

Ariel would probably want him to mention that. She may have contained herself, but he saw the glint in her eyes. Besides, making a lightsaber wasn’t really a group project, was it?

Then, there was a spark in the Force, but it wasn’t Kylo. It was enough to catch Gnaeus’s attention, though it didn’t hold it. It was a second, a passing familiarity, and then it was gone. He shook it off, shaking his head a bit, “Thanks for standing up for us Paquin,” he added then, refocusing on her, briefly, before he reached to pat Ariel’s shoulder with his good hand to turn her.

They should probably do as they said they were going to.

~***~

Ocor paused, between the two ships. It was a chill that cut through his thoughts, and he imagined it was his instinct warning him. He didn’t get to be a part of the crew without good instincts, but then, something followed.

A whistle. Three bursts, short and shrill. 'Ivan.' Kevan. Whatever.

One he knew, and one he wasn’t about to question right then. It pierced the air, or his mind, or something, but in the moment, he knew immediately where to run, and it wasn’t into the shitpile. He ran right back into the fancy black ship, avoiding the sight of the Commander who had just walked out.

And who had heard the same whistle, which was enough for him to pull his lightsaber and bring it to life as he looked around – felt around.

Nothing.

Well…almost nothing. His attempt to attune himself to the environment, to feel out something he knew couldn’t be physically there had an interesting side-effect. “Anakin?”

Anakin blinked, startled to be seen by sober Kylo. “You can see me?” He hadn't expected that. Admittedly, he'd been drawn out by the strange movement in the Force, as if there were another akin to himself there. There wasn't. No Yoda, no Qui-Gon, no Kenobi. Just the Force, though it did seem to be moving with a strange energy, driven by a will that was neither his, nor Kylo's, nor did he think it was Snoke's. It was curious. Interesting.

“Yes.” His irritation shifted. He imagined it was Anakin that he felt for a moment, “What are you still doing here?” The lightsaber lost its blade as he wondered if he was just being irrational about this. He supposed it would be good if he was getting better at the Force to see a Ghost when he tried to seek something out in the Force. Though, admittedly, he was now having to focus on it, to hold Anakin in his sight, and keep the feeling there - a feeling he wanted to remember, and to atune himself to.

Perhaps Snoke didn't want him or the others communing with the Ghosts, but it could be useful, couldn't it?

~***~

Mira had not anticipated Hux following, but he didn’t speak until they were clearly out of earshot of Tarkin, on the way back to the Nymph. He didn’t believe her. Mira couldn’t help the rueful smile. He could still read her fairly well, and so it did fade as she listened to him. He was right, and she knew it. She understood it. Snoke’s power was more than what Mira expected, and admittedly, it had her afraid. 'You're our only hope...fine. I'll think of something.' Or help as he wanted.

When Hux finished, Mira did express her agreement, “I know that something has to be done. I know that my…talents may be of assistance,” she said, but added, “I’m not truly worried about Snoke invading Tarkin.” Hux, she would be worried over, but Snoke didn’t know Tarkin’s mind. “I’m worried he’ll notice me again through the Force.” He hadn’t yet. She’d been lucky.

Oh, but he’d noticed when she tried to get into Ariel’s head.

Perhaps that was just what he was looking for. Terex hadn’t taken as much strength, because Terex didn’t really have walls. One fist balled itself at her side, “I know how to strengthen my mind, and I know how to find the weaknesses in others, but I can’t do that with an entire army.” The leaders, probably. Definitely.

The fist relaxed then, another thought occurring, “Perhaps…something with the containment fields?” She paused then, at the Nymph, and turned more to face Hux. “Those within them have their connection to the Force severed. I can still break into minds of those in them, but perhaps examining them in conjunction with the stone would assist in creating something that could block the use of the force in a more personal space?” Soldiers could be equipped with it. That would help them immensely from more than just mind probes.

She shook her head then, realizing the research could still take a while. She brought a hand up to her temple, “That doesn’t help now,” she realized, letting out a breath, before taking another and sorting her thoughts, “The Force is different from the IT-O. I suppose Snoke wouldn’t explain that, nor would it…seem different, to you.” The IT-O was a trick, though. The pain it created wasn’t real. The drugs it injected someone with, and its ability towards suggestion, made it seem real, as the drugs usually made one hyper-sensitive to suggestion, and sensation, so the slightest touch would register as mindrendingly painful. Mira didn't have fond memories of them, but she knew the difference. The droid was all suggestion and drugs; the Force didn't rely on such tricks. “Your weapons against the Force are strong walls that you have to consciously maintain against the assault, and not lose focus on. I use a mantra.” Mira shut her eyes. She didn’t want to actively do it, but she supposed she had tips, “Your other option is to assault your foe back…you can’t do that as I can, but you can disrupt their focus, throw offending thoughts at them, make them want to recoil." Something pointless with the IT-O. It couldn't read minds, after all. It just tried to force thoughts out of one's lips. "You can hurt them as the IT-O does, Force-sensitive or not. The invading mind is more vulnerable to be tricked into thinking these things are real, so throwing an image of eyes being gouged is likely to cause the phantom pain and disturb the invader.”

She lowered her hand and opened her eyes again. “If you insist…I will help you, or whoever you select, get the feel for it,” this wasn’t attachment, right? No…this was a legitimate concern for the First Order. For all of them. “but I did not lie to Tarkin about the risks, and I am not lying to you, either, Hux. You have to determine if the pros outweigh the cons, and if the risks are worth it.” Mira clearly did not think so, but she would accept Hux’s determination, for better or worse.

Gnaeus had a point, Kylo didn’t have a problem giving orders. If he wanted to be followed, he would have said so. And probably yelled at them if they didn’t. But Paquin was worried about Kylo’s sudden concern in something he’d felt through the Force. And him deciding to run off alone to investigate. ‘Really? Kylo can handle himself just fine.’ She told herself. And he really could.

He was strong. And skilled. And intimidating, and—she shook her head.

“Huh?” Gnaeus thanked her, for standing up for them. “Oh, uh, sure.” Paquin wasn’t really sure if that was something she should be thanked for. Really, she shouldn’t have to stand up for them at all. Paquin didn’t catch the fleeting feeling of something familiar. Mostly because she wasn’t familiar with whatever it was. But Gnaeus was, and Ariel was.

Though, Ariel didn’t feel a noticeable change. It was like a warm rush of air. Only there was no air, and there was no warmth. She too shrugged it off as Gnaeus’s hand patted her shoulder, turning her. “Later, Paq.” She bid farewell to Paquin. They’d probably be gone an hour or two. Maybe longer. Ariel hadn’t ever made a lightsaber with a real kyber crystal. Only the synthetic one. “I wonder what color my lightsaber will be,” she mused to Gnaeus as she wandered up the stairs.

And once they were away from Paquin, she gushed, “Aren’t they the cutest? I mean, apart from their fighting. That was weird.” She wondered what that was about. And how Kylo managed to get someone like Paquin to argue.

Paquin was briefly left to her own devices to decide whether she’d follow after him or not. And she decided she would, just to check that he was okay. If he wanted her gone, then she’d be gone. But first, she’d drop off her stick and her supposed healing crystal in her room so she wasn’t lugging them around everywhere. And, it would give Kylo time to take care whatever he’d ran off to do.

Give him some time to come back in on his own.

-

“I’m usually following you and your Knights around, waiting for any of you to get drunk enough to see me. Trying to watch out for you guys.” Admittedly, the way Anakin was spending his afterlife was increasingly irritating. And proving fruitless. Even under the influence, he couldn’t convince anyone to see things the way he saw them. Though, maybe he was getting through to Ariel. She seemed the most vulnerable out of them all.

Anakin felt a little guilty for thinking that, for thinking of taking advantage of that. But it was all to help them. They were going down such a horrible path.

Anakin shook his head. He had his completely sober grandson in front of him, talking to him.

“How are you seeing me right now?” That was probably a dumb question to ask, but Kylo wasn’t drunk. And he hadn’t seen him even take a sip of alcohol. Plus, no one’s managed to see him not drunk before. Was it whatever that feeling was? Or whoever it was? It felt like someone else’s presence, yet no one was there. It perplexed even Anakin. But he supposed there could be…other Force entities existing on one planet. “Did you…feel the other….thing?”

Ocor, from the fancy ship, laid low for a minute. He hid in the closet, of all places, worried someone would come onto the ship. But upon hearing no footsteps, he ventured back out into the main ship. He stayed low, crouching while maneuvering his way to the window.

He slowly peaked out, catching a glimpse of what could be coming after him. Of course, he didn’t see Anakin. But he did see Kylo Ren. He didn’t recognize him as Kylo Ren, but he did know that this dude didn’t look like the type he wanted to fuck with. What, with the all-black ensemble. And that facial scar. But there was something familiar about this scary dude…Where had he seen him before?

That’s when he snuck out his datapad, making sure the flash was off before he started snapping pics, and then sending them to Raxi. Whether she knew who it was or not, at least they’d sort of know what Ivan was dealing with.

Or who might be the person to kill Ocor.

-

Hux listened intently to the woman in front of him. He accepted her concerns, she worried Snoke would find her through the Force again. And that would be good for nobody, Hux knew that. And he listened as she offered some solution to the armies. Some combination of containment fields and the void stone. And it was something to look into. He would. But that didn’t help them now.

And Mira knew that.

Hux read her body as she spoke. Noticing the way her fist clenched. Watched as her hand raised and her eyes shut as she seemed to be focusing on her own thoughts and her own experiences, finding ways to voice them so that they’d help him.

“Thank you, Mira. Long term, we’ll be looking into the stone. And the containment fields, if you see that to be effective. But I believe the best solution, the only solution we have right now is for you to help us. Point out what our weakest points are. Not an entire army, but Tarkin and myself.” Hux knew the cons. And even if they potentially outweighed the pros, they needed something right then.

“Snoke is a lot stronger with his mind manipulation than any of us thought him to be. He reached Pandion, a world leader. Someone who had access to militaries and had influence. And there’s nothing stopping him from targeting myself or Tarkin.” Then they’d really be fucked. Hux had complete control over the First Order and imperials follow Tarkin. Perhaps blindly. “Right now, this is our best bet. And we can take what you teach us and apply it to our forces.” Perhaps integrate some sort of training into their soldiers.

“But, I need you to be in this, with this.” Surely there was something wrong with Hux. He shouldn’t care whether she wanted to do it or not. This was important to their survival, something beyond personal feelings. Yet, here he was. “If you’re concerned about Snoke finding you again, we’ll take precautions. Keep the void stone near. We’ll stay just outside of its boundaries.” Ready to Force someone back into the area of it if need be. “Or if it’s working with Tarkin you don’t like, which I wouldn’t blame you, then it can be just me. Although, we could use this as an opportunity to gain information from him,” Hux mused, tossing out the idea.

Then he shook his head. They were supposed to be allies. “Nevermind that. Are you sure you’re alright with doing this?" He asked, his hand nearly moving to touch her arm before he caught it. He quickly moved it back to his side, clenching that fist. 'Weird.'

“Red,” Gnaeus stated once Ariel asked, though he didn’t believe it. “It has to be red to match your hair. The universe would break if it were any other color.” So long as it wasn’t purple. He was going to hold a bias against purple lightsabers now. He was curious about what his own lightsaber may end up being, though.

Maybe green. Green seemed right. Maybe that was just because he liked green.

He rolled his eyes a bit at Ariel’s gushing, though. “Yes, they’re the cutest, Ariel.” Though Anakin still had a point he kept going back to – Snoke. He didn’t want to rain on their dreams for the pair, but what if Anakin was right? What if Kylo and Paquin did grow close, did grow attached, and then Snoke…disagreed with it? He would have Kylo kill Paquin. ‘Or the other way….’

No, Snoke would never replace Kylo like that. Not with Paquin. Right? “Kylo’s…really stressed lately. More than usual.” More than they knew. “I don’t think it’s just the traitors.” Mira and Kevan. Hux. “I think there’s something else.” But he wasn’t going to be able to get it out of him, but he wanted to make sure he wasn’t the only one thinking it as they made their way back towards the rooms.

~***~

Kylo Ren slowly nodded his head at Anakin’s query. “I heard a whistle, but….” Not quite a whistle that was physical. He didn’t truly know how to explain it, except it was definitely from within the Force. “Felt it may be more accurate,” Kylo consented, “I focused on that to try and find the source,” because he did recall that strange pressure, the not-there but-there sensation, “and it seems it’s allowed me to focus on you.” Now that he was focused on him, he could hold it.

Something from Anakin’s side pushed through to this one in a way that Anakin, it seemed, couldn’t. “What was it?” He didn’t want to say he knew it. He didn’t want to ask if Kevan was there, or someone else. Anakin seemed perplexed by it, but at least he knew something.

So Kylo wasn’t completely losing it. He’d worried about that for a moment, that he might finally be starting to snap a bit under the stress and the anger.

He noticed Paquin coming around then, though, and lifted his hand to her. He wasn’t angry she followed, though he did comment – before he looked too crazy – “Anakin’s out here. And something else.” Maybe Kevan. Maybe not Kevan. Maybe guilt was about to eat through Kylo and destroy him, but probably not.

Raxi definitely recognized it. The first message was: That’s the one who killed Gerled and Eeshon! Kevan!

Well they knew it was a girl that killed Kevan, but they also knew it was a man with her, and that man was Kylo motherfucking Ren. That’s Somu! Came the next message – the nickname for him, the Sith of the Cantata of Cora Vessora, and Ocor cringed.

Get out of there, now.

Well, he couldn’t really do that unless he tried to steal the ship. Which, maybe he could do that. How would they get him down? The other ship was a piece of junk, and he’d abandon his own ship if it meant he got to live.

He decided he’d definitely have to try, and so he slowly started to creep towards the front of the ship, to try and figure out how to get it moving quick enough that he could escape.

~***~

Mira did not like this idea, at all. There was no masking that, but she had done plenty of things she didn’t like – and this at least had a motivation she could understand, an intent she understood. Who wouldn’t want a stronger mind with the threat that loomed over them? She did – and she wasn’t going to get to practice it at all otherwise. ‘And Finn.’ Her own side note as Hux gave her two names.

Finn could wait a little, but Finn would have to be trained, too – trained in the way she knew, to fight back and harm with the Force.

Hux and Tarkin couldn’t be taught that, at least…she didn’t think so. Besides, Hux was visibly concerned about her being comfortable with the idea of it. He wasn’t just issuing it as an order, but trying to make her understand. She did understand, and he met her a bit, offering the void stone to be near in all these sessions, a small lifeline in case things went wrong. A short laugh came from her at that, relief and anxiety mixed in the sound.

She shifted back though when she noticed his hand move, the reach that never made it to her. That panicked thought rose again of what she’d told Finn, Mace – yes, she was attached to Hux. She was aware of it, and that made it almost painful to step back and shift her arms behind her back again, as she had the night before, trying to deny any advancement beyond the friendship they played at understanding, and the professional relationship they were building.

Though with these practices, she would have to reach out to him. She’d have to hurt him. Break him. And a small part of her was worried of what she might find in his mind regarding her. She wouldn’t search those thoughts out, though.

She’d rather work with Tarkin. “Tarkin knows the risks. I’m sure he’ll understand if I learn a few secrets of Eriadu or his military defenses,” Mira said, “and I’m sure you’ll understand when I dig up embarrassing secrets of your adolescence.” At least this wouldn’t go both ways. He couldn’t get into her head. Return the favor. “I’ll do it. I’m not going to like it, but I’ll do it. We will keep the void stone near at all times, though, and I’ll begin when you’d like. I’ll discuss it with August after the Senate, as well.”

Not before. He could stew a bit in the rejection.

Ariel snorted at the need for her lightsaber to be red. It would certainly be strange having it be any other color. Too bad red wasn’t a naturally occurring color. Maybe hers would be blue. But green would go better with her appearance. As long as it wasn’t purple, for she too would always hold that color to Mira. It was unfortunate that she couldn’t pick her own color.

The redhead grinned at Gnaeus’s response to her gushing, clearly just agreeing to appease her. She could tell that there was still worry there. Damn Anakin and his points. It was still a worry for Ariel, as well, but she also couldn’t get past her love for the prospect.

Her eyebrows furrowed at Gnaeus bringing up Kylo’s stress, eyes remaining forward as the sauntered back to their rooms. “I think I’ve noticed that too,” she agreed. Kylo always seemed stressed and angry about something. But lately, it did seem exceptionally bad. And she just couldn’t give all the credit to his jealousy with Gnaeus or his anger at Kevan and Mira.

“Maybe it’s Snoke. Maybe he’s laid on the pressure and Kylo’s really starting to feel it? I’m sure all of our mistakes boil down to Kylo being blamed for them.” Ariel offered. She could see Snoke being a big stress. But pleasing Snoke was probably always a concern… “Or maybe it’s just plain our fault? We’ve been fucking up a lot. We all have to be trained and in different aspects.” Her with fighting, Gnaeus with the Force. Paquin had to build up both skills. And there was only one Kylo.

“I don’t know. But I’ve noticed it too.”

-

Paquin slowed her steps as Kylo lifted his hand to her, her eyebrows knitting together. She had heard him talking, though she didn’t see anyone else. And he quickly explained that it was Anakin he was talking to. And that there was ‘something else’. She wondered then, if Kylo had been drinking. He didn’t seem like it and she didn’t know when he would’ve had the chance to drink.

Apart from with Ariel. But she’d been close enough to him after, surely she would have noticed. Or smelled it on him. So how had he been talking to Anakin if he hadn’t been drinking?

Paquin hastily approached Kylo, the ominous ‘something else’ making her nervous. Her hand found it’s way to wrap around Kylo’s forearm as she joined him. It was a protective gesture, even if there was little Paquin could actually do. “Hi Anakin,” she acknowledged, even if she couldn’t see or hear him.

“Hello, Paquin.” Anakin responded before realizing.”Oh, right. You need to teach them…whatever it is you did.” It would at least give Ariel fewer reasons to drink.

“What’s ‘something else’?” Paquin questioned, unsure if it could be a person or an animal. Or something.

That’s when Anakin took the liberty of answering, even if Paquin couldn’t here. Kylo could and he’d asked a similar question earlier. “I’m not quite sure what it was. I know it was part of the Force. And I believe it was something or someone like me.” A Force Ghost. The Force didn’t just act out like that, not on it’s own. “I suppose I could try and do some investigating,” Anakin could travel easier than they could. If only Obi-Wan or Yoda were around.

Ocor settled into the pilot’s seat, keeping his head low. He had to figure out how to start the ship since the keys hadn’t been conveniently left in the ship. How hard could it be? Though, the ship seemed a little advanced. It reminded him of First Order ships. And he’d come across those before, so he had a chance.

It was then that he noticed someone else, a girl joining Somu. Ocor quickly pieced it together. She had to be the girl that killed Ivan, right? She didn’t look like much at all, didn’t look like she was capable of killing someone. Bitch.

There was a fleeting thought, wondering if the ship perhaps had a gun. Though, it seemed like it was more a luxury ship. It would be so satisfying, to get rid of the fuckers that murdered Ivan. But he decided against that. He wasn’t risking his own survival. Another thought, this one of messaging Raxi again, informing her of the girl. But then he decided, fuck that. He wanted to get out of there, and he could tell her when he was safe and she could do whatever she wanted with the information.

-

General Hux took note of the way Mira shifted back, the way she pulled her hands behind her back. Hux himself shifted his weight. He too drew his arms behind his back, that hand that so briefly reached out still balled in a fist. It was then that Hux realized just how…acquainted with Mira he was. Realized exactly how inappropriate it was, how stupid it was on his part. Considering the position they were in.

But it all felt incredibly natural. And reaching out to her had been a complete natural, almost instinctual movement. And then Hux caught it.

“Do what you must,” Hux went along with it, consenting to Mira’s investigation of his adolescence. He had plenty of embarrassing moments during his childhood. Unfortunately, he didn’t have many humorously embarrassing memories. Maybe somewhere, deep in his head he had some that he’d forgotten. Maybe him trying to exercise when he was younger would be funny to see.

But for the most part, they were likely a variety of his father doing things to embarrass him, usually on purpose. But none of it would be surprising to Mira, so he didn’t much care what she saw. In fact, he didn’t care much what she would find in his head. He could see a few things that would be weird for her to see, but otherwise…

And Hux recognized this immediately as a problem. He was much too casual with Mira. Especially in situations in which he needed to be professional. He was being stupid and careless all because of this friendship he’d developed. He was putting it before being a General.

He was too lenient with Mira. What, not caring about all the information she could find in his head. How dangerous that could be for the First Order.

“We’ll take whatever measures needed for you to be comfortable doing this,” Hux assured. “I appreciate—The First Order appreciates this.” Hux corrected in a feeble attempt to re-establish some professionalism. Some responsibility on his part. “We’ll discuss times and such with Tarkin. After the Senate meeting.” Hux too wanted Tarkin to sit and absorb the fact that he, August Tarkin, had been rejected.

It was satisfying. “I’ll leave you to getting ready, we’re leaving soon. Tarkin wishes to arrive in tandem, says it would be good to show unity. I don’t know how much you’d like to be involved in that.” If she were to show up along with them, it could put the face of the Gray Jedi out there, as a public figure. It could also be the reappearance of ‘General Hux’s Mystery Blonde’ in the press.

If nothing else, Gnaeus was relieved to know he wasn’t going crazy. Kylo was acting out more than usual, and if Ariel noticed it, then that definitely meant something. He nodded along to her suggestions, though somehow, he didn’t think it was them. In spite of their fuck-ups, he never recalled Kylo being quite this bad.

Not without external pressure. Snoke. Probably.

He paused as they came to their rooms, figuring this should not be an activity done together. The forming of the lightsaber was, supposedly, a rather personal thing. If they were both trying to craft a blade, he had a feeling it might end up influencing the other’s kyber. So, he just stepped back towards his room. “I’m glad you’ve noticed it. I thought I might be going insane,” he said, though his expression didn’t show his gladness.

How could he be glad that Kylo was stressed? “I don’t know what we can do about it…but maybe we can work on that later.” A thought for her, before he’d turn to his room to work on his lightsaber in the privacy of his own chambers.

~***~

Kylo found Paquin’s gesture unusual in the moment, though he did not brush her away. He accepted it. After their argument, it was reassuring to have her actually reach out for him again, and he glanced over to Anakin after Paquin’s greeting of him, and listened to the question from Paquin, and the answer from Anakin, formulating how to phrase it to Paquin as well.

“It’s a presence in the Force,” he offered, “not quite a Ghost, but something on Anakin’s side that allowed me to focus on it, when I heard it…felt it. It was a whistle of some sort,” and a pressure at the same time, something that had pushed against his mind and seemed to force him to hear it.

Something that had really only wanted to be heard by a non-Force sensitive. “Anakin doesn’t know what it was, but he felt it as well,” he told Paquin. “He’s going to investigate it.”

Just as he said that, he heard Ariel’s ship start up. His head whipped over towards it immediately, eyes widening in surprise. ‘What in the—’ as it lifted, Kylo reached out his hand, and pulled the ship right back down with the Force, though it was taking quite a bit of concentrated effort to hold it there since whoever, or whatever, was inside, was clearly trying to fight to get the ship up. The thrusters flared to life.

“Paquin…go find who’s in there…now.” He grit his teeth with the stress.

Ocor was cursing up a storm under his breath as he started throwing switches. He’d managed to get the ship to start up, but he had forgotten – or really, didn’t even know it was possible – that Kylo could use the Force. Especially to such an extreme as holding down a ship. He went through several switches in the cockpit, trying to find a way to get the ship out of the Force sensitive’s grip.

At least he wasn’t trying to destroy it. That was a plus.

He hopped over to the co-pilot’s side as if that might help to see more of his options, wondering again about guns, and if he could shoot Kylo to get to freedom, while his mind seemed to be blaring a ‘red alert’.

~***~

There was an ache as Hux seemed to realize his own action. Mira wouldn’t say anything, just as Hux wouldn’t. The silent awareness was enough on both of their parts. There needed to remain a distance. Hux had his reputation to look after, and Mira simply had his safety to consider.

The true regret, the true ache, was in the moment he corrected himself and claimed the First Order appreciated her efforts. ‘You brought this on yourself.’ Of course she did, claiming to be attached to the First Order, of course it would come back like this, but she felt some relief, as well. It would get easier.

It always did. They would find the balance.

“Thank you, General,” she replied with a nod, because she would appreciate the efforts gone to in order to make her comfortable with this situation, “Considering I need to shadow Tarkin to the senate, it may be to my benefit to go at the same time. I’ll stay at the ship – let me know when we’re leaving,” it would be easy enough to reach her via datapad or through the comms, she figured.

She stepped back towards the ramp then, “I’ll see you on Coruscant,” she dismissed herself as she turned back to the ship and walked up, noting that she’d need to prepare quickly lest Finn catch up to her before she was ready. She was eager to get out of the Knight’s attire, though, and put on the white uniform.

Ariel didn’t know what they could do about it, either. “Maybe,” Ariel mumbled. Maybe, even if she was the one who really needed one, they could hold an intervention for Kylo. Sit him down and tell him how much of an asshole he was being and demand for him to tell them his feelings.

Yeah, that would work fantastically. Not.

It was something they’d have to think on. Because none of them could go on much longer with Kylo being so stressed. And likely poised to attack any of them at any given moment. He was already picking fights with the sweetest of them. With a sigh, Ariel turned into her room. She had a lightsaber to make, to focus on. Maybe the calm clarity she felt afterward would help her think something up.

“Good luck, Gnaeus!” She called over her shoulder. Good luck, hopefully ,your lightsaber won’t be purple. Hopefully you don’t crack it like Kylo, however he managed to do that. Hopefully, it wouldn’t blow up entirely.

And with that, Ariel slipped into her own space, blissfully unaware of the drama going on outside.

-

At the explanation of what exactly was felt, Paquin began to ease up. Her grip on Kylo’s arm relaxed, as well. Something in the Force, not exactly a Ghost? Didn’t sound very threatening to Paquin, not in comparison to the potential threat of a person or animal.

Her ease was only temporary as she was startled by the awakening of Ariel’s ship, seeing it lift from the ground. Paquin wasn’t naive enough to believe a Ghost to be stealing Ariel’s ship, there was a living being in it.

She hardly had time to be amazed by the fact that Kylo had just pulled a ship out of the air with the Force, nor did she have time to question how he did it. Instead, she followed through with what Kylo told her to do by breaking into a run towards the ship. Whoever was inside was certainly trying their best to get the ship back in the air.

As Paquin neared, unconsciously her hand shot out and pulled back, yanking the ramp down with the motion. The Force was most responsive to Paquin when she was in a panicked state, a thought filed away into the back of her head for the moment. She hurried herself along, up the ramp and into the ship with little thought of caution.

At the sound of the ramp being yanked open, Ocor’s head whipped around to find himself facing that curly-haired, Ivan-murdering bitch. The two locked eyes, both frozen for a few seconds before Ocor reached for his nearly forgotten blaster, but before he had a chance to shoot, Paquin’s hand shot out, yanking the weapon out of his hands. With a flick of her wrist, it was tossed out the open door. ‘Shit.’ Ocor cursed to himself.

His only thought in that moment was to shove the girl out of the ship somehow. Or kill her. Either one would work, whichever was easiest. Whichever would get him out of here alive. So, he rushed her. And she froze.

Paquin fully expected him to choke her like everyone else she’d encountered had. But instead, he swung at her and Paquin was wholly unprepared for it. He didn’t stop at punching her. He grabbed her by the shoulders and lifted her up slightly, before lifting his knee and jabbing her in the stomach. Hard. Paquin winced. Instead of trying to fight back, she reached around him, remembering the pinpoint thing Kylo tried to teach her.

It was difficult to concentrate on it, but she just needed a little window and…she shut the ignition off. The act briefly distracting the blue guy. Just long enough for Paquin to drive her elbow into his side. “Fucker!” He cursed at her as he moved away. Paquin took the chance to instead run at him, using all her strength and a little bit added to shove him right out of the ship.

-

“I’ll see you on Coruscant, Admiral.” Hux nodded his goodbye before turning on his heels.

As soon as he was turned away from her and on his way back to his own ship, he silently cursed himself. There was still that familiarity with them, but he could also feel the shift from friendly to chilly professionalism. And he hated it. Even if he was the one to correct himself, to enforce it, he didn’t like it. It caused a weird feeling in him and he scrunched up his nose at it.

He missed the times when he had no friends. Though, it seemed he was trying to get back to that time.

Finn had walked off with Mace following Mira’s departure. There was a silence between them as they walked side by side, though technically Finn was leading. It wasn’t uncomfortable. It felt like they were getting used to each other’s presences. For a father and son, they had a lot to catch up on. A lot of emotions and bonding and familiarity. It was instant like it was Ada.

Ada had invited him in so easily, Finn knew that she wanted him in her life. Mace…seemed to take a minute.

As they neared their destination, Finn spoke. “I’m just gonna return BB-8 to my buddy, Poe.” He told him, pointing in the direction of said buddy. He was working away, helping with the work on his X-Wing.

“The buddy Vallens thinks you’re more than buddies with?” Mace questioned.

“Wha—we’re just buddies! Just friends.” Finn quickly stammered out, totally not convincing Mace at all. “Uh…Poe!” Finn called out, quickly jogging ahead, BB-8 rolling with them.

“Finn! BB-8!” Poe was torn from his work, but he was happy to see his friend and his droid, evident by the grin. “What’s up?”

“Nothing. Just returning BB-8 to you. I’m gonna go clean up, Mira and I were training this morning. And then we’re heading off to Coruscant for this Senate stuff.” Finn placed his hands on his hips, mainly looking at the ground. “I was, uh…Do you wanna meet my mom?” Finn blurted out. He couldn’t help it. Why was he so nervous?

Poe was a little taken back by the words, but the grin remained. “Uh, yeah. Yeah, sure. I’d love to meet the woman behind…well, you. On Coruscant, right?”

“Yeah, yeah. I’ll send you all the details and um…yeah. Gotta go!” With that, Finn turned and quickly strutted past his father, on a mission to shower. He silently scolded himself. What was that? Why was he being so awkward? It was just suggesting one of his closest friends meet his parents. It’s not weird…

After abandoning his father and Poe, Finn found himself quickly showering and sliding back on some clothes. And of course, the jacket. And then he was off to rejoin Mira. Mace had probably figured to go there himself, too.

Kylo was relieved when the ignition of the ship was turned off. He was able to ground the ship immediately – probably a bit more roughly than was necessary, but at least it was down. He moved on towards the ship himself, to be met with a Chiss man being shoved right out of it. His lightsaber lit again and he directed it down at the chiss before he could rise, slamming a booted foot down on his chest to keep him down, if he even thought about running.

Kylo glanced back to Paquin in the doorway, who looked a bit rough. That sparked Kylo’s anger to rise up a bit.

He glared right back down at the stranger, “Who are you?” Kylo demanded. He didn’t look like First Order, though that was probably because the First Order was basically full of humans. It could easily be another scavenger on Korriban, but somehow, he didn’t think so.

Not from the anger coming off of him.

Ocor held his tongue. Well, he bit his cheek, actually. He was dead. He knew that. He wasn’t going to be dead and a traitor.

“Fine, we can do this the hard way, too,” Kylo really didn’t want to ask again. He really didn’t care enough to ask again, and he reached out with one hand and grasped at the Force around them to try and reach out, take the identity of this stranger right from his mind, and pull at his purpose for being there.

Anakin glanced away as he felt the violent shift in the Force. He also felt something like a panicked, chaotic mess in the Force, but he couldn’t pinpoint it – he just imagined someone flustering about, and it was a strange image to tie to the Force. The Force itself always seemed so…calm. Even when put to invasive uses, the ebb and flow remained constant.

This was definitely related to the strange thing he and Kylo had both noticed, but he couldn’t pinpoint it. It was still better to focus on that, then what Kylo was doing.

~***~

Mace Windu was forced to wait outside of the ship as Mira got herself cleaned up, and put on the white admiral attire. ‘This does look nice.’ She couldn’t help the thought as she stood in front of the mirror in the ship and examined how the white fit her. The measurements were exact, of course – one perk of the First Order and the Knights of Ren had always been the tailored clothing. She smiled to herself in spite of it all, and let her hair down from the crown braid to put it into another style that would probably better suit the image she had to walk in with for the Gray Jedi.

The padawan braid wasn’t removed, but she pulled the rest of her hair back into two braids that met at the back of her head in a bun. Professional enough, tidy enough, but she still thought it wasn’t too rigid. Not just a regular bun, after all.

It seemed that just as soon as she’d satisfied herself with her hair, she heard a knock at the door to the Nymph, and she quickly moved to it.

Mace was still there, glowering, but Finn seemed chipper. “Hey! That looks good,” he said it easily, stepping into the ship, Mace right after him, “Are you all set for Coruscant? What did August want?”
Mira stepped aside, “I second the ‘what did August want’ question,” Mace added, lifting a hand to shut the door after them, figuring no one else was coming.

“Training,” Mira answered, “I’ll have to help him and Hux later with the Force and mental invasions,” Mira wouldn’t confess more, or that she didn’t want to.

“Oh…right. I’m going to have to learn that too, aren’t I? You got into my head pretty easily to talk….” Finn noticed, and Mira couldn’t help the slight smile at that.

“Yes, you too,” she agreed, “later.” She should probably practice with Finn. “Is Poe going to be joining us?” She asked then, wondering if she needed to wait for him, or just wait for Hux to let her know they were leaving. She did walk to the datapad to make sure she hadn’t missed that message while she was getting cleaned up.

Fortunately, she wouldn’t have. August Tarkin was just finishing up things himself with the organization of Eriadu, leaving Adelaide to make sure things were in good hands while he was away. There needed to remain a strong military presence. Only then would he go to his ship and shoot Hux a message that he was departing, and gave him the exact hangar he was going to.

Paquin didn’t do much after shoving the Chiss man out of the ship. Kylo came and she knew he’d be able to handle the man. Better than she could, especially. So. she didn’t go further than the entrance to the ship, leaning against the metal. Her hand came to rest on her cheek, where she’d been punched. It hurt in the moment and it hurt even more now. It would bruise.

So would her stomach. The man hit hard.

It was the second time Paquin had been punched—in the face—in her life. Both the first and second time occurring since she met Kylo. She didn’t blame him, but this hadn’t at all been what she’d been expecting. She wasn’t sure what she’d expected, ever. But whatever was becoming of her now, she never would have thought of.

She watched Kylo reach out when the man refused to answer, felt the strange shift in the Force. Her eyebrows furrowed, not a fan of the feeling. And the act itself was strange to her. And alongside that feeling was…something else. It was faint, to Paquin at least. But it was strange. She brushed it off, though. It was the least of her concerns in the moment.

Ocor wanted to fight Kylo Ren’s invasion. He really tried, but he wasn’t Force-sensitive. He had no defensive walls or anything. He didn’t know how to fight this, so his name was forced out easily. He could only hope to keep his reason for being there concealed. But what he didn’t care so much about that as protecting the others. And so, in hopes to throw the man off, rambled off expletives.

Fuck this, fuck that. Fuck you, fuck your bitch.

Ocor tried not to think so much of his actions as his hand darted around him, searching for the blaster that the woman had discarded. In a last-ditch effort to attempt to escape. Or kill them. Or one of them. Or maybe just injure someone.

-

Finn was a little nervous at the prospect of mental training. But he trusted Mira. And he bounced back into the conversation easily. “Oh, yeah! Poe is coming, he should show up soon.” Finn had sent Poe the information like he said he would. Finn didn’t know when they’d be leaving, though. So he couldn’t add that. Just hoped Poe would figure it was best to meet them soon.

As if on cue, there was a knock at the ship door and Finn was quick to open it back up. And there stood Poe, in all his glory. He’d cleaned up a little, washing off all the dirt and grease from working on ships that morning, donning the jacket that replaced his old one. Poe thought he ought to look decent when meeting Finn’s mom. For whatever reason. “Hey, buddy.” Poe greeted Finn, BB-8 beeping after him.

Because of course BB-8 wouldn’t be left behind.

Poe’s eyes landed on Mace next, Poe nodding in greeting. He wasn’t quite sure how he should interact with Mace. And then his eyes landed on Mira, looking her up and down. “Blondie,” he addressed, “that’s a look.” He had to admit, she looked cool at least. But he still didn’t approve of any of it. Not of her or the First Order. Still hated Hux, but he could tolerate Mira for the time being, he supposed.

For Finn. And for Leia. “The hair’s nice,” he offered a solid compliment at least.

Following receiving a message from August, Hux went ahead and sent a similar message to an awaiting Mira. And then he set himself up to rise and jump into hyperdrive. Prior to receiving his message, he’d set up a few things last minute. He wouldn’t be bringing any Stormtroopers on his ship with him, for appearances. But there would still be some, circling the area in a ship, just in case.

And following the Senate meeting, they’d come down and stick around for Hux and August’s mental training session, to help with the organizing of the Void Stone.

Which sat in his coat pocket.

Millicent was joining him on his ship, but she’d stay in her temporary home. To keep it safe, he told her. As if he needed to convince her to stay.

Dummu’ocor’iagei came easily as a name, and Kylo did not know it. It was hardly important, so he pushed deeper, finding another name just below the surface. Bridger. It seemed like a codename of sorts, and Kylo wanted to pull at those threads, ignoring the constant stream of expletives. This was hardly a fair fight for Ocor.

Kylo grit his teeth, but asked aloud, “Why are you here?” Some were mere archaeologists. Smugglers. He didn’t think this individual fit into either of those categories, not completely.

The question started to make answers rise to the surface, the mind’s natural instinct to think of answers to questions fulfilling itself. Kylo caught glances of reasons, and what stood out was the name Ivan. Kevan. They mingled in his mind as one and the same, and Kylo realized why Bridger seemed important then.

He’d heard Kevan mention it, alongside others, as contacts.

“How do you—”

Ocor had grabbed his blaster. He aimed right at Kylo Ren, but Kylo noticed the sudden movement and stepped back, catching the shot just as it came for his head. A second later, Kylo responded without thinking his action through, at least so far as information was concerned, and he sent the blaster dart right back at Ocor, right through his head, ending the interrogation with a thud as the chiss’s body hit the ground.

Only then did Kylo let out a single, “Fuck!” as he realized what he’d just done in killing Ocor.

~***~

Poe arrived on cue, as a message came through on Mira’s datapad, so she acknowledged that first. Poe had good timing – it was time to be leaving. She glanced up after shooting a quick message of acknowledgment back, and smirked a bit as Poe tried to comment on her attire without offending anyone in the room.

“I’m just glad you cleaned up for Ada,” was all Mira said to him, “Finn, co-pilot.” She directed. If Finn was going to be her padawan, he was also riding co-pilot. It wasn’t like they were in a dogfight or anything, there was no real need to even have him there, but he may as well get familiar with the Nymph.

Mira slid into her seat as Finn practically jumped into his. Mace came up to join them in the cockpit, and leaned against Finn’s seat rather than find one for himself as Mira basically went about getting the ship aloft on her own and setting the coordinates to take them through hyperspace. “You’re free when we get to Coruscant for a bit, Finn.” She didn’t actually know if she’d be meeting back up with Finn for anything official while they were on Coruscant. “Though you should train a bit with Mace.”

“I will! We will!” Finn said, as the stars became white lines around them, “Shouldn’t be too hard to find a place on Coruscant, right?”

Mace shrugged. He didn’t really know anymore. “Well, we’ll try.”

“You should let your mom know you’re about to be there,” Mira reminded, and Finn reached for his own datapad to do so – there was nothing inherently wrong with letting his mom know he was about to be there. With Poe. And Mace. Though maybe he shouldn’t bring Mace. He still typed that he was there, and so was Mira, but Mira had things to do so she might not get to see her. If she even wanted to –
Mira was First Order, after all, and the white uniform would not endear her any further…even if it seemed they were getting along at the end.

When the ship finally pulled out of hyperspace, Mira simply followed the directions she’d read to the correct landing pad, floating high amongst all of Coruscant’s buildings. She could see August’s ship just starting to land, and there were a few people waiting on the platform for him. None of them were recognizable from this height. “Is General Organa coming to Coruscant?” Mira thought to ask, glancing back at Poe, wondering if Leia was staying on Eriadu for some reason.

Leia wasn’t a senator any longer, Mira knew that much, but still…it seemed odd for her not to be present somewhere with all of this going on.

Paquin felt a surge of panic as the Chiss had grabbed a hold of his blaster and aimed at Kylo. She felt an almost acceptance that it was the end of Kylo Ren. Even if she’d seen him stop a ship from flying and even if she’d seen him stop blaster shots before. This was too sudden for him. For her. Or so she thought. In the blink of an eye, someone hit the ground with a thud.

But it wasn’t Kylo.

Still, Paquin seemed to propel from her spot and to Kylo’s side. Her hand came to rest on his back as she looked over him for any sign of injury. “Are you okay?” She questioned, dismissing his expletive, even as he was very clearly fine. She felt almost guilty that she hadn’t done anything. Hadn’t been quick enough to stop it or been paying enough attention.

Once she deemed Kylo okay, even without a response, she looked down to the Chiss man. She didn’t know his name or anything about him, not having been in on the little mind interrogation. And she pieced together that was probably why Kylo had cursed upon killing him. He must not have gotten all that he wanted. All that they needed, considering this man had just stumbled upon their base somehow.

Paquin lowered to her knees beside the now dead man. Surely he had to have something on him that they could use. Her hands felt along his body for whatever she might find. She felt something rectangular, stuffed on the inside of his jacket. Pulling it out revealed a datapad, and along was heard a jingle of something else. Setting the datapad aside, she searched for the source of the jingle.

In a pocket, her fingers latched onto something cold and metallic. Freeing her hand, she lifted a set of keys into her line of sight. Looking up, she offered the keys to Kylo, “He has a ship somewhere.” He didn’t just come to steal theirs. Unless his was broken down. Even then, she didn’t think he’d fight them so hard over it.

But now what were they going to do with the dead body?

-

Instead of finding a seat Poe, like Mace, leaned against a seat, only Poe leaned against Mira’s rather than Finn’s. “Maybe you can ask your mom if she knows any places you can train,” Poe suggested. She likely new Coruscant rather well, if Finn and Mace couldn’t come up with anything.

Finn nodded, “Good idea. I’ll ask her after we visit.” He didn’t want his mom to feel like their time was rushed or anything. Even if the both of them knew they wouldn’t always have the luxury of long visits, he didn’t want her to feel like training was put above his time with her. It was then his mother responded to his message, saying to tell Mira hello. And asking if Poe was a hot cocoa, tea, or coffee guy.

And then a message saying she’d just make all three. Even if it was just text on a screen, Finn could tell there was a giddiness to Ada.

Finn managed to mumble out to Mira that his mom said hello before Poe spoke to answer her question.

Poe’s eyes narrowed on Mira, resisting the urge to ask why. He knew he was likely being overly suspicious. But he didn’t trust the First Order. And he knew Leia trusted Mira, likely because of the fact that Mira came from Luke’s Jedi school. That she’d known her before the Knights of Ren. And that Mira could be a sign of hope for Leia’s own son. And as much as Poe respected Leia and trusted her, he had to be there to make sure nothing slipped through the cracks.

“Maybe.” A childish answer, Poe realized. Certainly not fitting of his rank, so he scolded himself and nodded his head. “Yes. She always stays up to date on these things. And especially nowadays.” She may not have been a senator anymore, but that didn’t stop her from knowing what was happening in the Senate. Leia still had allies that helped her stay informed, just as anyone did.

And Poe was sure Leia would want to know what was happening during Mira’s first Senate meeting.

They landed just seconds before General Hux’s ship did.

With Hux shutting his ship off, the General stood from his seat, smoothing out his uniform. Hux saw the press as he was landing and he had to be the face of the First Order. He had to look put together. A hand passed over his ginger locks, pressing any loose hairs in place in an effort to look neat, rather than out of nerves. Hux was not nervous to be in the eye of the press. He’d assumed his role as a public figure and he was not shy.

A final pat was given to Millicent before Hux hastily exited his ship. And it seemed as soon as his boot his the platform, he was rushed by journalists and paparazzi. Cameras flashed and questions were shouted at him. From what would become of the First Order, what had happened on Eriadu, to questions pertaining to his last visit to Coruscant. All appealing to different consumers.

Hux found it hard to pay attention to any of them, his eyes instead flashing towards the other ships, awaiting August’s exit. Or the more personally anticipated, Mira’s entrance.

Hux may not have been nervous, nor was he intimidated by a few cameras, he wasn’t used to dealing with the press. Not to this level. It wasn’t one of Hux’s concerns, but now he supposed it was. For the moment.

“Yes,” Kylo hissed his answer to Paquin’s question, holding back a comment, ‘No thanks to you.’ He wasn’t expecting that kind of help, and he’d missed seeing the man go for the blaster, but he’d been distracted by thoughts. Was it not obvious to see someone reaching for a blaster, to grab it?

‘Snoke is right.’ Again, and again, the thought kept coming up, and he flinched away from her touch this time rather than allow, as if it burned him rather than helped him to feel comforted. If that was her, she would be dead right now. He didn’t like that image, but it stuck in his head when he looked at her. He imagined the blaster bolt burning a hole through her head. He imagined her in place of the Chiss, and he hated that image. It made him feel sick, and he even paled, as if the image were more than in his head, and then forced his eyes back to the chiss instead.

Paquin went down to the chiss as Kylo tried to wrack his brain around what to do. She was at least quick enough to act when the violence ceased, finding a datapad and keys.

He took the keys from Paquin. “Let’s find the ship,” he managed to say, “see if you can get into the datapad,” odds were it was locked, unless the chiss was as arrogant as Mira and didn’t lock it up, didn’t think it necessary.

He didn’t care about leaving the dead body there in the least. It would rot and decay, or something would come to eat it. He didn’t see much of the Korriban wildlife, but usually they were smart enough to avoid the academy areas lest they get killed. Or the tombs, lest they set off a trap.

Korriban wildlife learned. Everything was out to kill them.

He had no idea where the ship could be, of course, but was he going to pass up an opportunity to look for it? Absolutely not. He walked to get into Ariel’s ship. He still had the keys from flying there, and he figured he could cover ground quicker from the air, and have a better chance of finding Ocor’s ship. He’d just keep doing wide circles from the academy, on out, until he located the ship.

~***~

“Tell her I say ‘hi’ back!” Mira said, more enthusiastic than Finn’s mumbled words. She was starting to really like Ada, even though she’d seen her once. It was probably because of how much Finn liked her. And how embarrassed he seemed to get, right then, because his mom was probably excited about Poe.

Poe offered her a real answer, and Mira gave a nod to it. She figured as much. She didn’t know where Leia was, or what she’d be doing, but it did make sense for her to be there.

Their ship docked, and Mira made note of all the damn cameras and paparazzi out there. So did Mace. He pulled up his hood on his robe immediately, “Not ready to be recognized?” Mira teased. Despite the lines on his face, he probably would be.

“No,” Mace agreed, pushing away from the seat, “Let’s get out of here, and away from the swarm.” He mostly looked to Finn at that, figuring Mira would be forced to wait on the schedule of the others, but they could sneak off and away.

Of course, when Mira hit the ramp, there were enough flashes of cameras and questions thrown her way, and quite a few were about the Jedi with her – he wasn’t recognized, but his attire was, and so was the lightsaber at his side. And at Mira’s side. And then questions came spewing about Poe – because everyone knew Poe Dameron, and many tried to direct questions to him about what he was doing with the First Order.

“Hey, hey, ease off! Poe’s mine!” The voice came from a blue-skinned woman, though not chiss – squamatan. She gave Poe a smile as relief seemed to flush over Poe.

“Suralinda, you’re a life saver,” he said as the journalist made her way up to him.

“You definitely owe me an interview on…this,” she gestured to Mira, to Mace, and then back to himself, as Finn and Mace hopped over to Poe.

Mira had her own saving grace in Julia Tarkin, who was quick to shout out a blithe, “Don’t you know? This is Admiral Mira Vallens of the First Order!” When she heard someone ask who Mira was, and then she snaked her arm around Mira’s own, “Though she’s here in her capacity as Master Vallens of the Gray Jedi – that should answer your questions about her relationship with Hux and the Jedi, so if you’ll excuse us!”

Mira shot Julia a curious look as she was almost pulled away from the chaos, a chipper smile remaining on her lips.

August was used to this, when he stepped out, with the questions being shouted at him. He gave Julia a cursory nod to send her over to Mira, his own eyes on Hux’s ship. He supposed he needed to say a few things until the other ginger revealed himself.

He focused in on a familiar face, fixing his attention visibly on him so that a hush fell over the others as they knew he’d at least answer something. “Governor Tarkin, we’ve all heard that Eriadu endured a battle – was it this battle that forced you to align with General Hux?”

“The battle did not force my hand,” August denied easily, “It was a move I calculated and considered ever since I learned that General Hux shook off the influence of Snoke.” He could not praise Hux, or claim he needed Hux. He could not be desperate, but he had to make it clear there was a reason beyond that made him consider Hux. It may give Hux footing later, but August could destroy him just as easily if he needed to.

Hopefully, he would not need to.

“Governor Tarkin,” another he gave his attention to, “is it true you are also working with former senator Organa?”

General Organa,” he emphasized her new title, “we have not formally made an alliance, but I am not opposed to it.” That was when Hux was out of his ship.

He gave his attention to one more, briefly, “Since you’ve aligned with Hux since he left Snoke, tell us – what does that mean the First Order stands for? What do you support about the First Order?”

August couldn’t help himself, “Obviously, it’s the First Order of Gingers.” Cibor would kill him later for that soundbite, as he moved on towards Hux then, to help him with an escape out of the mess. Julia would bring Mira along soon. “If you’ll excuse me, I have a meeting with my party before the Senate meets,” that was when Ransolm crept out of the ship, green velvet hood up over his head. He fell alongside August.

They made it up to Hux’s ship, and August just gave him an imploring look to start moving his way.

He thus didn’t see when the Senator of Chandrila crept up, and stood in front of him, waiting. She broke rank from the other senators waiting to see him, just off the landing pad.

The tiny woman with the blue hair still had a bandage around her head from being shot, but she seemed otherwise not bad off, and her eyes were burning a hole in August’s own head, which he apparently didn’t feel with all the other eyes on him.

Paquin took notice of the way Kylo flinched away from her. As if she had hurt him instead of comforted him. Which was not at all what she wanted. She tried not to dwell on it as she took the datapad in her hands once again, standing from her position. She tried were the keywords. It hurt her feelings, though she knew she had no right to have her feelings hurt.

She hadn’t been paying attention and Kylo could’ve been on the ground instead because of it. He was understandably displeased with her. But he hadn’t really rejected her or her touch, not lately, and it made her feel a certain way.

Paquin didn’t like Kylo being upset with her, though it seemed like lately that was all he ever felt with her.

She dejectedly fiddled with the datapad. Immediately she figured it wasn’t locked by facial recognition, nor was it unlocked by fingerprint. A keypad popped up on screen and Paquin had no clue as to what the passcode might be. She tried holding it up to the light to see if there were any particular smudges but came up short. Just to say she tried, she typed in ‘1234’. And as she expected, nothing.

Paquin quickly followed after Kylo, sparing a glance back at the dead body. She nearly opened her mouth to question about leaving it there, but figured Kylo didn’t care. She wasn’t sure how she felt about just leaving the body on their doorstep, but for the moment she said nothing.

“It’s locked with a passcode, I can’t get into it,” she said as she found her way to the co-pilots seat. “Maybe there’ll be something in his ship?” She offered as an answer. “If we even find it.”

She wasn’t sure how Kylo figured he’d find this ship. There was an entire planet they had to potentially explore. But she said nothing against it. Maybe Kylo needed something to do. She knew he didn’t like to sit idly.

-

“Yeah, you got it,” Poe agreed to an interview. That would be quite the story. Poe supposed he could give an unofficial official statement as to what the hell was going on. And give Mira and her Gray Jedi some publicity. Poe was aware of his strange popularity, his thoughts briefly wandering to the group of his fangirls. That was strange. But he supposed his likability wasn’t a bad thing, why not utilize it a little bit?

Mace could speak for himself, however. Poe wasn’t sure how he’d go about that subject. He really didn’t know Mace’s…position. Other than being Finn’s father. Or if he even wanted to be in the public eye in that way again.

Finn and Mace found themselves alongside Poe then, but Finn looked back to Mira, feeling a little bad for leaving her on her own in a mob of paparazzi. Shouldn’t he have supported her? But luckily, Julia Tarkin swooped in and seemed to usher Mira away. Finn wasn’t really sure what he thought of the Tarkins, but he felt an appreciation for Julia in that moment.

“Come on, let’s get out of this crowd,” Suralinda nodded her head in the direction of their escape, quickly maneuvering them off and away from the landing pad, where no one else would be able to land if all those reporters hung out.

“Where are we heading?” Poe asked Finn and Mace. Ada was expecting them and he didn’t know where she lived, how far it was.

“Uh, we’re going in the right direction! We can walk from here.” Finn almost felt like he wanted to stay and support Mira, but he also felt like that was just because he was nervous that Poe was going to meet his mom and he was uncertain of how it would go. What if it was awkward? What if his mom didn’t like Poe for some reason? Even if she was so excited to meet him, which Finn didn’t quite understand. He gently shook the thoughts from his head.

“Where are you guys going?” Suralinda questioned, hoping to get something exclusive, maybe Poe and his friends were meeting someone important.

Which they were! In Poe’s eyes, anyway. “We’re meeting my buddy’s mom,” Poe answered, disguising his own excitement. This was another step further in his and Finn’s friendship. Yes, friendship…

“Oh?” Not exactly what Suralinda wanted, but…”Buddies, huh?” She was a bit suggestive. If Poe wasn’t her friend, she’d consider writing something about Poe and his ‘buddy’. She could only imagine all the frantic reads she’d get from Poe’s fangirls…

Hux was hardly paying attention to the journalists swarming him, shouting questions and snapping pictures. He instead waited from the others in which he could make his way to join them. He saw Julia Tarkin swoop in and lead Mira away. Hux had admittedly felt a little relieved by Julia’s actions. He’d been worried how Mira might take in all of this, as he knew that as a Knight, she hadn’t been exposed to the aggressive reporters, all trying to get something newsworthy out of them.

She’d get used to it, one day. She had to if she was going to be the public figure for the Gray Jedi. If she was going to be his Admiral.

Hux noted August’s look then and moved to join him and the hooded man. Ransolm Casterfo. Hux wondered if the man would ever make a public return.

As he moved to join Eriadu’s, paparazzi parted for him. but continued to spew questions, and Hux lazily answered some.

“What made you sever ties with Snoke?”

“It was necessary.”

“Now that you’re no longer constrained to Snoke’s commands, what is the goal of the First Order?”

“The goal is to bring order back into the galaxy,” just as it had always been. And Hux supposed that him stating that would push the idea that his intentions weren’t ill, not as Snoke’s ‘order’ was.

“And what do you think of Governor Tarkin calling your organization the ‘First Order of Gingers’?”

“I—the what?” Hux actually had to process what had just been said to him. What did that mean?

Hux answered no further questions as he joined August and Casterfo. “The First Order of Gingers?” He questioned in a mumble. What was the point of that? Hux shook his head, his eyes catching sight of the blue-haired woman that he recognized as the Senator of Chandrila. Even if he didn’t know what she looked like, the bandage would be a giveaway. He noted how her gaze seemed to be fixed on August. “It appears you have a welcoming committee.” A committee with only one member, who seemed to be quite too intense to be welcoming.

Kylo doubted there would be anything in the ship that would help them get into the datapad. They’d have to take it to Snoke. Snoke would have to get a slicer to break into it, because he doubted that Ariel or Gnaeus would be able to do so. Still, he supposed he’d let them have a shot when they got back, after finding the ship. He started Ariel’s up, turning on the radar once it started to light up around him, switches hit.

“Probably not for the datapad, but we may be able to figure out who sent him, or what he was doing here, or how he knew Kevan.” It was probably tied together, and he thought to mention the name of the dead Knight so that Paquin would be aware of what little he’d found in Ocor’s head. It wasn’t much. He wanted so much more after finding the link to Kevan, but it wasn’t there.

The names he’d found all sounded like those contacts of Kevan. He knew Kevan gave nicknames to them all, even he had a nickname, so he’d never thought much of it. Never considered some of them might be more than casual acquaintances. Mira was supposed to have seen to it that his light was diminished.

‘And she failed.’ As she had failed with herself – or Snoke failed, in assuming she would ever care about her parents and the future she had already closed herself off to a long time ago. Paquin still had a light to put out, but Kylo wasn’t keen on approaching that topic.

He started the slow circles, the slow sweep, checking the radar scanner as the lazy circles turned around and around in the air over Korriban. “It may just be coincidence. Kevan was a smuggler before….” All of this. An orphan. A smuggler. A nobody, without even a name of his own. He stole a name from a play, and made something of himself.

It could just be they ran in the same circles. That could be it. Kevan could have mentioned Korriban and told him not to go, and like any stupid smuggler, he went.

Kylo didn’t think so, though.

~***~

“Yes. Buddies!” Finn heard the tone of Suralinda’s voice, and caught her little smirk at how quick he was to jump in, “Just buddies. Friends. I just met my mom recently, you know, Stormtrooper and all – never knew – so since I was coming I thought she should know what my life was about now and who was in it – who got me out of the Stormtrooper life!” Okay, that was rambling wasn’t it? He really was nervous.

Suralinda’s smirk hardly diminished. “Well, I’ll let you go then,” she threw a glance back, noticing that no one had followed them, devouring the Tarkins instead as they usually did. The press loved the Tarkins – especially August. Especially when he was in one of his moods to start tossing flippant and insulting comments out, which after Eriadu? He was probably in one of those moods.

She patted Poe on the back, “You’ve got my number. If I don’t hear from you by evening, I’m coming to find you. I’ll go General Organa.”

Poe threw his hands up, “I’ll be there, I’ll be there,” he laughed a bit at how serious she was trying to be over this interview exclusive, “Thanks, Suralinda. It means a lot to meet my buddy’s mom with some privacy.” And Mace was probably going to appreciate not being ratted out.

Suralinda gave a nod, and with a few words of farewell, she left them, and Finn continued on towards the familiar apartment building he knew his mom lived in. He sent a quick text once he saw it, to let her know that he was just about there. “So is there anything I should know about your mom? Anyway I should, uh, be?”

“Oh – no, just be yourself! I’m sure she’ll like you.” Finn reassured as they reached the door and he just moved right by the clerk at the front to the elevators.

~***~

August sometimes impressed himself with his own poker face as he heard Hux get asked about his statement. He wanted to cackle. He did not. He maintained that lazy calm, a cat’s calm, that he adopted around the press, waiting for Hux to reach him, and Julia as well, who was making a good image of being around Mira Vallens and commenting only about Gray Jedi things, rather than the First Order.

He didn’t even smirk when Hux asked about his comment. “Better than what I had in mind.” He noted to Hux, “Learn to joke a bit with the press,” he lowered his voice, “you have to learn to be unaffected by everything they can throw at you, and throw them off. Besides…we aren’t political allies, yet.”

A hint, and a warning. Tarkin was still going to make sure his image was tarnished just a bit, until then.

Hux mentioned a welcoming committee, and he turned to see exactly how close the senator was. He nearly jumped back, but just tensed up instead, before relaxing. “Senator Papilion.”

“Maresa!” Julia was much more enthusiastic, and before the woman had a second to speak her mind to August, Julia all but grabbed her up in a hug, squeezing her tight. She probably would have twirled her around if she had a little more strength.

August let out a slight sigh of relief as Mira just arched a brow at the scene, Julia releasing her, “I’m so glad you’re up and walking about! Come on, we have a meeting we can’t be late to before the senate, let’s walk and talk, Maresa! Oh, Maresa, this is Hux, and this is Vallens. The man in the hood isn’t here.”

“Thanks,” Ransolm said, sarcasm dripping from his lips.

Maresa was forced to move along, as Julia put a hand to her back and started walking, taking the lead before Maresa could get her bearings. August shifted his hands behind his back, as Mira fell in step in with him, and the six of them tried to find a decent pattern, his wife also making sure Maresa didn’t make a scene. Ransolm was also trying to avoid recognition.

“August, Pandion is dead, and I was nearly killed. This is—,”

“Yes, it’s all related,” he said. He didn’t know if Hux was aware of Pandion or not. He was now, definitely. “I intend to discuss it with you later – I promise I am not shutting you out again, but I do have a meeting with Senator Sindian that, as much as I’d love to miss, I cannot. You should go rest.”

“Rest? When we’re on the verge of war, you want me to go rest?”

“Oh, are we finally on the verge of it now? What’s going to put us over the edge? Alderaan’s space station being destroyed?”

Maresa bit her bottom lip at that, then looked to Julia, “How do you stand him?”

“He’s rich.” Julia just shrugged. The paparazzi didn’t seem to be following much closer – the usual ones were trying to stay near enough in case anything noteworthy happened, but it was so easy to tune those out by now.

“That guy knew Kevan?” Paquin asked, not really looking for clarification. Just musing to herself. She almost felt weird saying the dead Knight’s name out loud. But that must have been something Kylo pulled from his head.

Kylo said it may have just been a coincidence, that maybe he knew Kevan from smuggling. Again, she learned something about Kevan she hadn’t known and it certainly didn’t help her feelings on the act of killing Kevan. She didn’t know why, but she also had a feeling she shouldn’t have done that. That maybe it was starting to bite her in the ass. But either way, Paquin didn’t think it was just a coincidence.

She just had a feeling.

And so she shook her head. “I don’t know, Kylo. I feel like he…fought too hard.” He couldn’t have just been some random stranger who happened to know Kevan. Paquin felt too much from him. The immediate hate the Chiss had for her. And wouldn’t any normal person have tried to reason with them, or even just run? The first thing the man did was attack even though Paquin hadn’t even done anything yet.

It made Paquin wonder. Did he know what she’d done? But she wasn’t sure how he would’ve known. Everyone who might’ve bared witnesss was dead, right?

They made slow circles, they couldn’t have been far. There was no way the guy traversed across the whole planet to them. But Paquin wasn’t paying much attention.

Paquin turned to Kylo and watched him for a few moments. Stared, really. “Do you miss him? Kevan, I mean.” She questioned, timidly. She wasn’t sure what her goal was. To affirm she’d done the wrong thing? The right thing? She knew Gnaeus missed Kevan. From the way he spoke of him. Or still had a fondness. Maybe Ariel, too. But she didn’t know about Kylo.

-

“I hope so,” Poe mumbled. He really did want Finn’s mom to like him. And from what Finn’s mentioned, he was sure she was a lovely and very nice woman. But she also seemed very intimidating. And Poe didn’t feel very intimidated often. Only by Leia, really. And now Ada. And so he still couldn’t help but be nervous.

“We’ll see.” Mace commented, if only to encourage the man’s nerves.

Poe noted the uninterested receptionist and how Finn walked right past her. She seemed to be playing a game on her datapad or something. So much for security. Poe nearly thought to mention it to Finn, but then the three of them and BB-8 wandered into a lift. And they went up and up. And up. Poe figured if anyone were to break in…it likely would be someone on a lower floor.

Finn led them down the hall to Ada’s apartment and before he could even think of knocking on his mother’s door, it flew open. “Hello, my love!” She greeted excitedly, throwing her arms around her son.

“Hey, Mom.” Finn returned the gesture happily, loving the feeling of having such a warm welcome.

Ada pulled away, “Mace,” she acknowledged with much less warmth before setting her sights on Poe. And then the warmth returned.

“And you must be Poe! I’ve heard so many good things about you!” Ada was quick to throw her arms around him, too, squeezing him. “It’s nice to finally meet you. I’m so happy my son found you.” Ada credited Poe with a lot. Giving her son a name, helping him escape the Order. Being a friend to Finn. Maybe even more than a friend. He was held highly in Ada’s eyes.

-

Hux wasn’t sure whether Tarkin was offering a tip or a warning. Both? Probably both. Tarkin was hard to understand but at the same time rather easy to. His intentions weren’t clear. What did Tarkin really want, at any given moment? At times Hux wasn’t sure if he believed August and him were on the same side, truly. But it was also obvious that his intentions were to benefit him and Eriadu.

And then Hux was pulled from his thoughts by news of Pandion’s death.

Pandion was dead and Hux hadn’t heard until then. Hux had left Pandion as August’s problem. Hux knew that death would be his fate and he couldn’t be mad about it. And he wasn’t mad or even slightly upset by Pandion’s death, but rather ticked off that he was only just hearing about it. A heads up would have been nice. Even though Hux knew Tarkin and Pandion had history and he’d left Jarrod’s fate up to August, Lothal was a shared problem.

Mind control was a shared problem.

And Hux had made a promise to Jarrod, really only for the sake that he hoped someone would do the same if Mira were in his family’s position. He’d make sure his family was safe and Hux couldn’t exactly do that if he didn’t know what was going on.

He’d mention it to August. Later, after Maresa was gone and Carise was dealt with.

“I thought we were well into war when I blew up an entire system of planets.” Hux mumbled, to Mira, as the lot of them fell into step. It really showed how futile the New Republic was. He’d destroyed the Hosnian System, Snoke attacked Eriadu. And they were apparently only on ‘the verge’ of war.

The hotel wasn’t far and they were upon it soon.

Out of the eyes of the cameras, Hux took a slight lead ahead of the others. He knew the room in which they needed to head, after all and he wasn’t going to mess with reception or anything of the like.

Coming upon a room, Hux opened the fancy double doors, the Senator of Hux’s home planet rising to stand. “I’ve been waiting—“ She began, as if to complain.

“Good,” Hux interrupted with a blink. “Sit. We have much to discuss.”

Kylo gave a mute nod to the rhetorical question, eyes fixed outside of the ship, watching as circles widened, always looking for something metallic. He didn’t want to think long on the stranger who knew Kevan, beyond negative thoughts. He didn’t want to think of him, as someone who knew Kevan. He wanted to think of him as an enemy. He wanted to see no similarities, not imagine that Kevan’s friends were coming after him.

That Kevan turned Mira from him.

That Kevan’s influence still existed out there, somewhere, in the form of others. He had many connections. It could be quite devastating.

That was all he should focus on. Not that the man ‘fought too hard’, but that he was an enemy, and not because of Kevan. ‘Perhaps this was why Snoke sent Mira to Wild Space.’ Not necessarily because of her tracking abilities, but because she could have been like Kevan. Worse than Kevan. She had trained him, though he always had a natural charisma about him…Mira had it in her blood, and was always…thinking too much, even among the padawans.

Paquin’s question caught him off guard. He stopped flying. He let the ship hover there as he turned his head towards her, as if angry she would even ask it. And he was. He was angry, because the answer wasn’t what it should be. ‘Yes.’ It was a small voice, but a truth. He did miss Kevan.

He had seen Kevan most, since Kevan was the Knight most likely to drop in on the Finalizer with updates on his missions. He joked with Kylo easily, and made himself seem like a friend. It was that which hurt the most, that it had all been lies, that he’d been building up something outside of the Knights and the First Order all along, he and Paquin saw that – the smuggler was just that. A liar. Like Han.

“I miss what I thought he was,” he managed to say, and he looked away from Paquin’s inquiring stare, “I miss what I thought Mira was.” He had to add, because it seemed the next logical step, “but they were both liars and both traitors.” Like Master, like Apprentice. “It’s good they revealed their true colors.”

He went back to circling, but thankfully, he hadn’t been far when he paused. He saw the ship, and made a beeline for it, to also get out of the conversation.

~***~

Finn could feel the heat in his cheeks and was thankful for his darker complexion then, even if he knew it might still be noticeable. It wouldn’t be as noticeable. Why was he even blushing anyway when his mom hugged Poe? Why was he so anxious, too, for Poe to be liked? Of course Ada was going to like him! He tried to bank his worries as Ada unwrapped herself from Poe, “Come in, I made up some tea, hot chocolate, and coffee – I wasn’t sure what you’d like,” she cast a look back at Poe as the boys all followed her into her apartment, “There’s water, too, and—”

Poe was a bit intimidated, but he realized then, he was also more endeared. It seemed Ada was a little nervous herself in meeting him, and that helped to even him out again, “I’d enjoy any of those drinks, Ms. Zain.”

“Oh, call me Ada!” She said, and waved them all towards the living area, where Mace isolated himself in a chair and let Poe take a couch, as Finn followed after his mother into the kitchen to help her carry everything.

Naturally, she had to tease, “You didn’t tell me how handsome he was!” She said quietly, noticing the darkened cheeks on Finn’s face and grinning up at him, “Oh don’t worry, I won’t embarrass you – it’s not like I have that many baby pictures!”

Finn winced a bit at that, but somehow his smile remained. She had baby pictures? He wanted to see baby pictures. But he wasn’t sure he wanted Poe to see baby pictures. Then again, what could be so bad about that? “Please no baby pictures,” he said back, as they left the kitchen to return to the living space, and set the many, many cups of options before everyone.

“Thank you, M—Ada!” Poe caught himself. Women like this seemed to require titles, but he would just call her Ada. He reached for a cup of hot chocolate, much like Finn, while Mace took his tea.

“Of course, of course. How long are you two going to be on Coruscant this time?” Ada had to ask. She imagined it was more dependent on their respective sides and the ones they followed, but she could hope that maybe, the politics would go on a while longer so she could get to see more of her son and his friends.

~***~

Mira just shook her head a bit at Hux’s mumbled words. ‘Politics.’ No, she wasn’t a politician, but she knew more than she ever wanted to. She was going to learn more than she wanted to, too, especially if she planned to give the Gray Jedi the space the Jedi once occupied. And, she did. She didn’t know how to go about it, but she knew she would be getting a crash course soon.

Perhaps she should be nicer to August.

Maresa left them at the hotel doors, not going to intrude on the meeting. They continued on, not even speaking to reception, and on towards a fancy conference room. When the doors opened, the dark-haired woman rose indignantly.

It took everything in Julia’s power not to stick her tongue out at Carise Sindian when she was immediately interrupted. Instead, she stepped back, and caught Mira’s arm, keeping her back. Mira gave her a quizzical look, and Julia just winked.

“Senator Sindian, thank you for agreeing to meet.” August spoke, adopting a pleasant tone with a smile.

Ransolm let his hood fall off then, and soaked up the look on Carise’s face when she saw it was him, truly him. “Senator.” He spat the word at her, walking around to take a seat.

Carise shut her mouth, which had opened partially, definitely feeling attacked in the moment, but she held it together. She had her dignity. She was not a savage like August, she wouldn’t falter, though she did give Hux a dirty look for this, for having so many here for it.

Julia spoke up then, “We’ll leave you to your meeting,” she said, “Master Vallens and I will make sure that if the Senate tries to start without you, you will be represented,” Julia promised, “And I’ll get your latte.”

“I love you,” August said at the last, and Julia just beamed at it, her own ‘I know’ spoken in the look. There was another reason, of course.

Mira needed to be seen apart from Hux. Her attire wouldn’t separate her from the First Order, but she needed to be seen more as Master Vallens, and actually with a more approachable presence. Sure, Julia was a woman who could intimidate just as easily as August – but she did not usually wear that disposition, and she had no intention of it when she took Mira on a stroll through Coruscant, towards the Senate, where she might be able to push her at Senators, too. Have some fun before it all began.

Mira didn’t argue it, thankfully. A scene wasn’t necessary. Confusion wasn’t necessary. Hux didn’t need to look like he didn’t have control, or didn’t know she’d leave him, even if she hadn’t planned this. She gave a slight nod towards Hux, signifying it’d be all right, and would turn to leave with Julia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back