• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars

Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Paquin chuckled as she heard the other prisoner telling his friend to escape. “It would be a miracle for you to even stand without passing out.” She told the prisoner, who’s thrashing was calming down at that point. She didn’t think he’d make an attempt to attack her after Kylo’s words and if he did, he’d be too weak to do much harm.

The medic held the prisoner’s arm down, carefully injecting the sedative into his arm. She needed to hurry to stop any further bleeding, knowing he’d go into shock if he lost too much more. The effects of the sedative were instantaneous, the rebel relaxing immediately. Paquin let out a breath as she continued to work on his leg. She applied an anti-infection cream before wrapping the wound tightly. She propped his injured leg on top of his other, she improvised since there wasn’t anything else to keep his leg raised.

“You can sense death, right?” Paquin questioned Kylo as she stood up, “Is that a thing? I’m not very knowledgable in the Force.” But then again, no one other than Force users were familiar with it. The topic sprung into her mind at the thought of how close the rebel was to possible death. It was something she’d heard from her coworkers, so the information wasn’t very reliable.

She pulled her gloves off, placing them in a bag along with the syringed she used. She threw everything back in her bag, lazily gripping it in her hands. She brushed passed Kylo and into the second prisoner’s room. She wasted no time in preparing a second needle full of sedative, knowing he’d be even more difficult than his friend.

-

Mira’s room was on the same floor as the rest of the high ranking officer’s rooms, so Hux had no trouble weaving through the hallways. He was relieved upon seeing her up and about. His almost lifeless eyes roamed over her, taking notice that she was still without her helmet. ‘Must not be able to wear it yet.’ He thought.

His eyes spotted the food and coffee in her hands, reminding him that he himself needed to eat. He hadn’t eaten since the previous morning, only eating a few bites before being interrupted by an assassination attempt. ‘Later.’ He dismissed his thoughts, eyes returning to Mira’s face as she nodded at him. “Mira, I hope you’re doing well.” He said as he approached her, “Do you have a moment?”

He didn’t really care if she had time or not, he was planning on speaking with her either way. Which is why he didn’t give her a chance to answer, “It’ll be brief. I just wanted to speak with you about your previous mission. In Wild Space, what did you find? That is if you found anything at all.” While it probably would have helped to be nicer to the Knight, since she was not obligated to answer him, the ginger couldn’t be bothered.

“Kylo was to question you and send me a report, but I’m afraid I don’t have that much patience.” There was also a part of Hux that didn’t want to give Kylo the satisfaction of having the General rely on the overbearing brat. Hux felt that his annoyance with the ‘Commander’ had escalated since they’d both returned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kylo gave a nod to Paquin’s query, “Yes, Force-sensitives can sense death.”

He didn’t want to think long on it. He could still recall how it felt when Han Solo had passed. It had not been immediate. It had not been between the moment of the fall, and when Chewie shot him with that bowcaster, which would have sent a normal man flying over the edge to join Han at the bottom.

Thankfully, Kylo was not normal.

“How did it feel when Han died, Ben?

Kylo didn’t answer the prisoner, but used the Force to tilt his head up and apply pressure so he would not get the oxygen to ask another question like that. ‘So, one who knows that name. That must mean he’s someone of significance in the Resistance, unless Leia is just telling everyone now.’

He didn’t add to Paquin or the Resistance member it was not something good to sense. Instead, he lifted his hand and wrapped the Force around the other rebel who looked like he might try to struggle or harm Paquin when she approached. Indeed, from the grimace on his face and the way Kylo could feel him trying to move, he knew that was accurate. “Do hurry. This one still wants to fight,” Kylo advised her as he kept his gaze upon the prisoner.

~***~

Whether or not Mira had a moment was irrelevant, and a sly smile crept over her lips as Hux continued on regardless. She had expected it would be that way—people with power tended to believe the world moved at their pace. Fortunately, she was used to it with Kylo, so she did not go into her room. She did, however, manipulate the world around her as Hux spoke.

The door was pulled open with the Force, and the food she was holding floated lightly into it to rest on her desk, so that she only had her cup of coffee in hand and could sip at that as Hux finished his inquiry, “The Supreme Leader sent me to Wild Space to look for kyber crystals. I am certain you’ve heard of them, General,” she sipped the coffee, “I do not know if the Supreme Leader has shared the blue prints of weapons from Korriban with you yet or not,” Sith technology. Powerful technology, from when the Sith had an organization, before the rule of two.

“I discovered a major source of kyber crystals before Supreme Leader Snoke called me to return. It was on a planet infested by a host of vicious, worm-like creatures that I did not have time to clear,” there was his answer. She understood that Kylo would be annoyed that he didn’t get to break the news, but he’d get over that easily enough. After all, it was in his best interest that Hux know, so they could start taking steps to acquire the crystals and building one of those Sith weapons.

Paquin had seen death many times, felt someone’s last heart beat. But she had no idea if the way Force-sensitives can sense death is the same way as she’d experienced it. “That doesn’t seem like it would be very fun.” She didn’t question any further. Not like she could, the Resistance member spoke before her mouth could open.

“Ben?” Paquin rose an eyebrow at the rebel, briefly glancing over at Kylo. His mask didn’t exactly convey any emotions, but the choking noises that the prisoner made sure did. She had a vague idea of who Han was from what’s been mumbled and it was obvious who Ben was. Despite her curiosity on the subject, she didn’t push for answers. 'Curiosity killed the cat.' That seemed to be her life motto.

The medic hurried her actions along, filling up the syringe with quite a bit more sedative than she’d given the other prisoner. She trusted Kylo to keep the rebel in check, but she still approached him warily. Paquin wasn’t afraid of getting kicked or slapped on accident, that’d happened before. The failed assassin most likely wanted to do more than just hit her, and that’s what she was worried for. 'Unlikely.' She told herself.

She gripped the prisoner’s arm, feeling him struggling against his invisible restraints. “I’m just trying to help.” She mumbled as she injected the sedative into his bloodstream. She was stopping him from bleeding out, after all.

-

Hux found himself temporarily distracted by Mira’s floating meal, but his attention quickly reverted back to her. He would’ve rolled his eyes, had her abilities not saved their lives a not even day ago. The ginger felt like he was in debt to her, he hoped that feeling would dissipate soon. Just because she prevented them from being knocked out doesn’t mean he owes her anything.

Snoke had mentioned the blueprints during their last meeting, but not many details had been shared. He knew that there were blueprints for another super weapon and based on the fact that they were from Korriban, there was no doubt that whatever it was would be powerful. Hux didn’t now much about the Sith or the Force, only what the Supreme Leader cared to share, but he knew that Sith technology was no joke.

“I assume my Stormtroopers will be needed to rid some of the worms from the planet. I’ll confirm it with Kylo and the Supreme Leader.” Hux didn’t mind, he would be benefiting from it. He wouldn’t say it, but he was already growing eager. Although he was aware that the other Knights were likely to be involved at some point, two was enough for Hux. “Do you have any information on the other Knights’ missions? I don’t need specifics, just if they’re involved in the making of the weapons.” He might as well milk her for as much as he could, it's not like he had anything else to do.

Kylo Ren held the man still with the Force, not intending to let him so much as move or speak again, more out of spite and anger than fear for Paquin now. He watched as the lack of air and the sedative took their effect with pleasure, and then let the man go when he was certain he was out of it, and watched him slump with satisfaction. “He knows your help is fruitless. It is unlikely either rebel will be allowed to live once their use is exhausted.”

Kylo spoke honestly, wondering if Paquin had even considered it as she was aiding them, “But, let us make sure they are able to be of assistance to us.”

He walked closer to the cell then, to watch Paquin work again on this one to make sure he did not die from his wounds, or the wounds that Hux would likely inflict upon him. The Troopers and General were so inefficient. They had to torture for information. Kylo could simply rip it from minds.

If the man had been awake, he could have torn it from his mind, too. ‘Wait,’ he reminded himself.

Just like breaking the news of the super weapon Hux so wanted, being able to get the information out of this rebel when Hux couldn’t would be a treat. “How did you end up here?” Kylo found himself asking Paquin, wondering really how any medic got involved in war. It seemed against them. Not to mention, Paquin didn’t seem to hold particularly strongly to what the First Order believed in, but then, he hadn’t truly probed her on that matter yet.

~***~

“Yes,” Mira confirmed Hux’s question, “Or else I would have done it on my own,” but there had been too many, and too little time for her to destroy them in a stealthy fashion.

At least, considering when Snoke called her back, “Or I may be sent back to that. We will see, General. We Knights do not stay long with the First Order,” a reminder that now that Kylo Ren was back, Mira would soon be gone. That was what she suspected, anyway. “Ariel Ren has gone to investigate Korriban and likely remains there. Gnaeus Ren investigates Tython and the Jedi holocrons and ruins—he may surface with weapons or blueprints.” Mira acknowledged, then offered information on the rest after a sip of coffee, “Kevan Ren is in the Outer Rim as a spy and an informant to those not yet sided with the Resistance. My job has always been in Wild Space, and Kylo Ren’s job has always been meditator between the Knights and the First Order.”

It was probably hilarious, under any other circumstances, that Kylo was considered mediator and diplomat of the Knights, but he was not diplomat to any but Hux—and because he had the force of will and character to try and get done what he saw as necessary, and his presence was intimidating enough, as was clearly exhibited by the way he got Hux’s men to do as he asked.

Paquin checked the breathing of the rebel to make sure it went back to normal, “I guess I wouldn’t be very cooperative in his position either.” She gently dropped her bag on the ground, herself sitting down next to it. She pulled the prisoner’s leg into her lap, just like she did the other rebel, and inspected it. It wasn’t nearly as bad as the first prisoner’s leg.

She began treating the wound, similar to how the other’s had been treated. Only this time there was no screaming.

“Same as everyone else.” Her eyes shifted from the wound to Kylo, “I was picked from a handful of people, fresh out of the Academy. A job was offered to me and I accepted.” And for the most part, it was the same as her colleagues. Only they all seemed to have been born into the First Order, while she was not. They practically had guaranteed spots as long as they were good at what they did.

“But if you ask me, it feels like I’ve been working for them longer than that.” Quite a bit of her hands-on training had revolved around the First Order. “Not a particularly interesting story.” She chuckled, her eyes returning to the rebel as she continued to work. The interesting story was how she even got to the Academy. It was comedic, really. But she wasn’t planning on rambling to Kylo about it.

-

Hux recognized only two of the names. He knew of Ariel, who he’d heard was an alcoholic or something. And then Kevan, but he couldn’t recall what context he came up in. Of course the others were probably discussed in front of him at some point, but Hux seemed to only pick up on what he wanted. The Knights were Kylo’s problem anyway. At least at that time they were. He’d listen intently for information on the Knights from then on.

The General snorted at Kylo Ren being called a mediator. “You’d make a much better middleman.” He was aware that he was grumbling to a Knight of Ren, but surely she’d witnessed Kylo’s personality. “But I mustn’t question the Supreme Leader’s decisions.” He finished.

He didn’t have any more questions of importance to ask, but there was one thing he was curious about. “How long have you been a Knight, Mira? Have you been around since the beginning?” That would mean she’d been exploring Wild Space for quite some time. Hux knew how long Kylo had been a Knight, but that’s about all. The ginger had barely entered the ranks of the First Order when he’d first heard of the Knights and here he was as a General, having only met two of them. But now he was actually curious about the group. They were relevant for once.

Kylo would have been far from cooperative in the rebel’s position. He would have fought much harder—but then, he had the ability to. The Force was a great aid in fighting, in escaping, in so much.

‘Feeling.’ He could feel the pulse of emotions as Paquin spoke, not letting her focus break from the soldier. “You could have gone so many other places, but you chose to be here,” Kylo did not know how true that was, considering her friends and the others who had been born into the First Order, those who had parents—like Hux—who had been a part of Vader’s original crew and so naturally flocked to the First Order.

He was blissfully unaware that Paquin’s history did not lie there. Though, of course, even Vader’s former allies had options. They, too, could have gone elsewhere.

“We are fortunate to have you. It is a rare medic who can deal with a patient’s…eccentricities,” he was thinking of Mira and Hux, the pair of them so unwilling to seek treatment. Not that Kylo could talk—he’d avoid it, too. He had a reputation. “How long have you been with the First Order?”

~***~

A smirk, but nothing was said to Hux’s assertion that she would make a better middleman. There were secrets that were meant to be kept, and her opinions on her own position were one of those secrets.

As were plenty of others. Hux stepped dangerously close to them, but she didn’t let it alter her outward appearance. After all, she was better at hiding than Kylo, and that would forever be her talent. Opinions, emotions, all the things that made a person unique and different, were secrets. “Since the start,” she told Hux. “I was the second, after Kylo himself.”

The eternal second-in-command. The one who had known Kylo Ren before he was Kylo Ren. ‘You have an option.’ His voice, full of fury and command, then, would always be in her head. “But if you’re wanting to chat, General, you ought to get yourself a meal. We can sit down, and I can learn all about your upbringing under Commandant Hux.”

A part of her was looking to turn him away from pursuing this further. She’d heard little good of Brendol Hux, so far as being a caring person. A strategist? By far one of the best. It was a topic she imagined would turn Hux off to chatting with her further, though it was a dangerous gambit. It was suggesting that he’d stumbled upon something uncomfortable himself.

Kylo’s words made Paquin think back and wonder what may have happened if she hadn’t joined the First Order. Who knows where she would’ve ended up? Reunited with her parents? Maybe she’d have been on one of the planets that Starkiller blew up. Or perhaps with the Resistance.

“Another rare thing is for someone to voice their appreciation for my work, so thank you.” Paquin found herself grinning as she finished wrapping the prisoner’s leg. She felt silly for finding such pleasure in ‘we’re fortunate to have you’, but it was truly uncommon for anything of that caliber to be said to her. Not that she minded whether or not it was, but it was still nice for her to hear.

“As for how long I’ve been with the First Order, I’d say roughly a decade.” She shrugged as she began to clean up her supplies. She was barely considered an adult when she joined, she felt like she’d grown up with the organization. She’d witnessed a lot of growth within the Order during her employment.

She took her time gathering her things, “There’s quite a few theories being shared about how long you’ve been around.” Paquin found herself feeling rather comfortable in Kylo’s presence despite having been terrified of him a few hours earlier, as well as witnessing him choke a man with his mystical powers not too long ago.

-

Hux knew of the Jedi massacre and how that was the start of Kylo Ren— apparently it was the start of Mira Ren as well. It was likely that there was more to the story, but at the mention of Hux’s father, it was clear that she was trying to deter him from pressing further.

Hux tensed upon hearing his father’s name. He’d tried to convince himself that Brendol Hux couldn’t affect him anymore, but the man’s subpar parenting techniques still haunted the General. But Hux would keep that to himself, he couldn’t let Mira know it bothered him as much as it did. “Well, now that you’ve mentioned it, I do have yet to eat today.” He mused.

“But I’m afraid there’s not much to tell. Based on whatever you’ve heard of my father, I’m sure you can guess just what my upbringing was like.” If he acted like it didn’t matter much to him, it couldn’t cause him any discomfort. That was his logic at least. “I’m sure a better topic would be what your upbringing was like, before the Knights of Ren.”

If the past bothered Kylo Ren, the ginger guessed it would make Mira uncomfortable as well. It was juvenile of Hux to try and affect Mira the same way she had with him, but Hux didn’t know how else to react. Not without blatantly appearing disturbed. At least this way he could come off as just simply curious about her.

Kylo Ren would have thought Paquin heard of how good her work was constantly. After all, she saved lives.

Killing people was the thankless work. “You’re welcome,” he canted his head, helmet touching the doorway as he did so.

She had been around for a decade or so, and he nodded, lips briefly pursing as he tried to think of how long he had been involved. “As a part of the first order, it’s been only twelve years or so,” Kylo answered, waving a hand in a gesture of how little that mattered, “I’ve been commander of the Knights for going on sixteen years now,” he hadn’t been an adult when he turned on Luke, but close. Three years short.

Mira had been the first to join him, and then Kevan. They had gone to Endor together. They had made the Knights known through the Universe, before signing onto the First Order, as their goals were, more or less, aligned.

Eliminate the Jedi.

Restore proper Order to the universe. “They should be good enough,” he noted, “Hux will have a hard time getting anything out of that one,” he gestured to the one that had been struggling. He did wonder about the other, wondered if he knew half as much.

Anyone who knew him as Ben clearly knew too much.

~***~

Mira should have expected Hux not to be detoured so easily, but then, he was one of the few fool enough to try and anger Kylo Ren. Why wouldn’t he push his luck with the less temperamental knight? She craved her helmet then, for she knew there was a glint of both malice and respect for the man’s foolhardiness.

Even so, she could feel the discomfort. The Force was kind in some ways, revealing enough for her to know that she’d touched on a nerve, as well. Besides that, he had physically tensed.

Mira sipped at the coffee again, buying a moment. “One can guess, as you suppose mine was interesting,” perhaps to others, it was. To Mira, it was a memory worth forgetting. “It is up to the listener to determine, though, isn’t it?” He denied her an immediate answer, so she would deny him. “You need food though, as you mentioned,” she made a gesture, “If you want to chat, you can return, but you will have to talk as well and let me decide whether or not your upbringing was interesting.”

Would he? If he did, Mira understood what she’d condemned herself to. She could lie—Hux would likely not be any wiser. It was not as if she was some child of Skywalker or Solo. Tracking down the truth of her heritage would be difficult—she was no one, after all.

Paquin’s eyebrows furrowed, doing the math in her head. She had a rough idea of how old Kylo was based on his appearance and the vague information that was provided to her. “Sixteen years ago? You’d have been a teenager.” That was quite a young age to form a group of fearsome killers. But then again, Paquin herself had joined a band of killers at a young age. The only difference being that she herself was not a killer. Yet, at least.

She didn’t vocalize her thoughts and instead went along with the change in subject. “Tell General Hux to be careful with the other prisoner. I wouldn’t risk drawing any blood from him for a while, it’s highly possible that he’ll go into shock.” Paquin wasn’t familiar with their interrogation techniques, but she knew it wasn’t simply questions asked and answered.

“The difficult one will be fine to…do whatever to.” She waved her hand dismissively as she stood from the ground, grabbing her things. It felt strange to her, that she was helping these two prisoners, but they were going to be killed anyway. She understood that it had to be done, but that didn’t make it settle with her any easier.

“I know I asked you already, but how are you doing? We’re pretty much alone now and I’ve already seen you half dead, your reputation won’t be ruined.” She was referring to the injuries he’d sustained. Maybe now that there weren’t dozens of people around, he’d be comfortable enough to express any concerns. "You can trust me."

-

General Hux had plenty of time to kill, but the question was if he wanted to spend it swapping histories with Mira. Especially his history, something he was so sensitive about. But he found himself genuinely curious about the Knight now. “Alright, Mira. Fair enough. You share the details of your upbringing and I’ll share mine.” Hux could always lie, be vague, or alter the truth.

But what harm could it really do to tell her the complete truth, other than letting her witness him in a vulnerable state. As long as she and the Knights were allied with the First Order, she wouldn’t be selling information to his enemies. She could tell Kylo, but the Master of Ren was familiar with Hux’s past. Nothing utterly detrimental would happen.

Not to mention that he probably wouldn’t see her again after it.

“Hopefully, no one will interrupt our meal with an assassination attempt.” He deadpanned upon settling his internal conflict. “I’ll go get some food, you can expect me back,” he informed her before turning and making his way to the canteen.

Hux was unsure of why he’d even agreed, other than out of pure curiosity and having the time. He gained nothing from it, it didn’t appear like Mira’s past bothered her as much as he thought it would. But this Knight’s emotions certainly weren’t as apparent as Kylo’s, it was possible that she herself was as conflicted as the ginger General. Or maybe her past was truly ineffective. Mira was surprisingly confusing and difficult to figure out— at that point it seemed like the only reason for his agreement was because he was interested in her. 'Ridiculous.' He could hear his father’s voice.

“I was,” he agreed with her statement of him being a teenager, amused with her surprise though he had expected. Most were surprised to find out how long Kylo Ren had truly been at this.

Kylo waved off her idea that he ought to warn General Hux, “He’s a smart man,” there was derision in the statement, “I am sure he knows when to be careful, and if not…it will be a good lesson for him,” Kylo did not care overmuch about Hux’s safety, for it was true—Hux was not a slouch.

He did not have the Force to assist him, but he had survived this long and made it to General. Sure, some of that was because of his name, but with the name had come teachings. “He will keep them alive for me, I’m certain. At least one,” probably the difficult one, which was fine by Kylo.

Emotion gave people away.

When she asked how he was, he knew with certainty then that she had been the one to treat him immediately. He pushed away from the doorway, lifted one hand up, and casually flicked the hinges of his helmet to unlock it. He acted as if it were nothing as he pulled the helmet off, but only a fool would believe it meant nothing.

Kylo Ren rarely took his helmet off except around the other Knights, Snoke, or in the privacy of his own room. “You tell me,” he said, lowering himself a bit so she could get a look at the scar on his face.

There was a second, of course, from where Chewbacca shot him, but stripping out of the layers of clothing and armor would have been more difficult to do on the spot. He let his eyes calmly rest upon hers, letting her see his face for once, intentionally.

~***~

Mira Ren kept her expression neutral, but she did tense at his agreement. Her plots had fallen through. She did not know Hux as well as she had guessed.

'Well that will soon change.' She thought as he dismissed himself to get food. "I will see you soon. I will deal with any assassins." There would be no assassins, of course. Not here.

As Hux went off, Mira turned into her room. She took a quick glance around. The room wasn't set up for guests, but that was nothing the Force couldn't fix. With a gesture, she lifted the desk and quickly set it up closer to the center of the room. That way it could act as a table. The chair was lifted and positioned before the desk on one side. The other side was near enough to the bed that she could sit upon it herself.

She did take her seat on the bed and folded her legs neatly beneath her. She resisted the temptation to eat first, and waited, folding her hands upon her lap and trying to find her center in the midst of the panic that threatened to steal her senses.

‘It’s nothing anymore.’

Except, of course, it was. ‘You should not have agreed to it. You should not have challenged him.’ And Mira shut her eyes, and wondered why she had. She knew how to be cold, callous, and such, without being impolite. She knew how to detour.

It would have been easy to block Hux out, so why was she giving him an opportunity to learn anything? ‘It’s been too long….’ And this would prove a mistake.

Paquin was surprised that Kylo took his helmet off. It was safe to say that it was a big deal, even if he acted like it meant nothing. Apparently he could trust her.

She didn’t let her surprise show as she stepped closer to him. The brunette let her eyes roam over his features, other than the scar. She hadn’t taken notice of them when she was hastily treating the wound, mostly because his face had been covered in blood. When she first saw him, she didn’t believe that he was Kylo Ren. And now she still couldn’t, he looked too boyish and innocent to be feared by so many.

That’s probably what the unnecessary helmet was for.

Her eyes finally rested upon the scar, it was quite an impressive one. She reached up and gently pushed his face to the side, getting a better look at the long scar. “This was very interesting to fix. It was a cut, but it was also a bit burned,” she mused. “But it looks good. I can give you something to help fade the scar.”

She doubted that he’d actually want the scar to fade. He was a Sith, scars were probably considered badges of honor.

-

Once Hux reached the canteen he wasted no time in piling whatever was being served on to a plate. He didn’t bother checking what it was, it was likely he wouldn’t eat most of it anyway. He grabbed his own cup of coffee, a drink he could live off of for days, and made his way back to Mira’s room.

He moved rather quickly, knowing he’d talk himself out of sharing if he moved any slower. Typically, the General stuck with his decisions, but this was something much more personal than deciding which units he was going to send on a raid. ‘You’re being silly. Suck it up, Hux.’ His thoughts snapped at him.

The redhead found himself in front of Mira’s door in no time, having maneuvered through the halls easily. He tucked his coffee between his arm to knock on the door. He knocked to alert her of his presence, opening the door a few seconds after. His eyes wandered around the room, raising an eyebrow at the odd set up.

He didn’t say anything as he sat across from her, placing his food and drink on the desk. He settled himself into the seat, beginning to stab at his food. “Who talks first?” He questioned, his eyes remaining on her as he pushed his food around.

Paquin kept her face and expressions carefully concealed, but Kylo could feel her surprise. He soaked it up, loving the fact that she took notice even if he didn’t want her to react to it. It was meant to be treated as nothing, because he didn’t want it to appear that it was anything.

Despite that, he still enjoyed the internal war of emotions, the surprise that was present. He even allowed her to touch his face and turn it, so she could get a better look at the scar. His eyes followed her as she did adjust the view.

It wasn’t often he looked at the world without his helmet. It wasn’t often he saw people without it on, or felt much on his flesh.

It was decadent, in so many ways.

“That is what a lightsaber does,” Kylo said to Paquin, “I would offer to let you treat more wounds, but I do not think Hux would appreciate it,” no, Hux would be most upset if Kylo sent more people to the infirmary, “Perhaps rebels we capture. If our enemies have lightsabers, you should learn how to treat their…particular…wounds.”

Cauterization and cutting. Rey had cut him well enough that the cauterization wasn’t complete. It was quite annoying, and in truth, he did not like the scar, so at the offer to make it fade, his eyebrows raised. “Yes,” he agreed without hesitance. “I do not need evidence of my defeat,” it was no honorable thing to him. It was an imperfection, evidence he had lost to someone and so terribly that they had inflicted something lasting upon him.

He had enough lasting wounds to deal with. He did not need a visible one. “Can it be removed completely?” he asked as he pulled away from her touch, straightening up to his full height once again. The helmet, however, remained under his arm. It was not immediately restored to his face.

~***~

Mira smirked a bit as Hux walked in after walking, seeing his reaction. “I don’t host often,” ever. It wasn’t like the room was set up to house more than herself, and she was a minimalist. Attachments were terrible things. The Jedi hadn’t taught her that.

As the General situated himself, it was quite obvious that both of them were going through with this to prove points not only to themselves, but to each other. Their past was nothing to be afraid of—and yet, they were both unsettled by it.

She could end it here, but she picked at her food and stared at the bit of meat she had stabbed before speaking into the silence that followed Hux’s question. “I was born on Coruscant,” she told him, “during the Galactic Empire. My parents were fierce supporters of the Republic. Open-minded, loving, responsible,” the way she spoke indicated that was their beliefs, and not reality. “They knew of the Jedi Council and admired the idea. Then I was born.”

Unlike Kylo Ren, there was no love left for them. There was no anger in her voice—it was dead, bereft of emotion, “A Force Sensitive child to parents who had never seen the Force in action. They tried to raise me, for five years,” she canted her head, as if examining the food before her in a new way.

The last time she’d told the story, it had been to Ben Solo—not Kylo Ren. “Then they gave me up to the foster system. They did not know what to do about the Force, or how to teach me to control it. A child has its tantrums and is not an emotionally stable entity,” she was trying to see it as an outsider.

As they must have. “The individuals who tried after them decided the best methods were isolation. If I was around nothing, I could destroy nothing. There was nothing to upset me,” she lifted her eyes then from her food, “Then they heard of Luke and the new Jedi training program, and shipped me right off when I was eleven. I was raised by Luke, alongside Ben Solo,” she used that name, but followed it with the name now chosen, as if the two were different people. “Then, Kylo decided to ruin that and kill everyone.”

Except, obviously, herself. However, she let that lie, “You next,” and she put the bit of meat into her mouth to indicate she was done talking for the moment. She’d said enough—too much.

The medic chuckled, “I think I’ll be fine for now. If need be, you can always poke me with a lightsaber,” it was a strange thing to say, she knew, but she’d been joking of course. “That’s how I learned to fix quite a few wounds.” That was not a joke. It was not how the Academy taught, it had been something she’d done on her own time. Because she had been an idiot.

Once again, Paquin found herself surprised by the Knight. However, he did make a good point as to why he’d want to rid himself of the scar. But she didn’t think of the facial gash as evidence of his defeat. If anything, it was the horrendous wound on his side. That’s the only wound that really could have killed him. But it was his body, his opinions. His feelings differed from hers.

She let her hand fall back to her side as he pulled away, stepping out of his personal space. “Maybe not completely, but I wouldn’t say it’s impossible. It may fade until it’s just a thin, white line across your face. Or it may dissipate totally.” She wasn’t going to make any promises. She’d never witnessed a wound from a lightsaber before, she had no clue how it would fade.

Maybe some further experience with lightsabers would be useful.

“Fading won’t happen immediately, it’ll take some time before you see the results you want.” Paquin wouldn’t categorize Kylo Ren as a patient man. Sure, he’d been fine with her, but he didn’t seem as tolerating with most of the people they’d come across. Save for Mira. She figured she might as well warn him, in case he was one of the people that got upset over those things. Too many times had she been yelled at for her inability to provide instant results.

“But, if it makes you feel any better, the scar is pretty badass.” It was an attempt at making Kylo feel more comfortable with the scar since it would be apparent for a while.

Hux had been right, there was a lot more to her story. He listened, not picking up any emotion in her voice. He took notice of the way she spoke of herself at times. The way she spoke as if Kylo and Ben were two different people. He wasn’t exactly sure how to react, or if he should.

Hux felt sorry for the woman, wondering how he could share a story that seemed so much more traumatic than his. “I, um,” Hux stuttered out as she finished, telling him it was his turn. He quickly composed himself, deciding not to acknowledge her past yet. Questions could be saved until the end.

He took a sip of his coffee, preparing himself for a stroll down memory lane. “I was born shortly before the fall of the Empire, on the planet of Arkanis. My father was the overseer of the academy there,” he began, not entirely sure where to start. “I didn’t grow up there, though.”

“I was raised by my father, with the help of droids. My mother was not around. You know of my father, brilliant man. Not known for his kindness.” He refused to make eye contact, “He not loving in anyway, certainly not father material. He didn’t raise me like I was his child, but rather a student.” Hux knew he was basically an experiment for his father. One that had succeeded.

“There were strict times and dates for everything, and there were punishments if I didn’t follow through with something. Education, getting my work done was important, but came second to following orders. And that’s how things went until I became a cadet. From then on, I worked my way through the ranks without a hitch. I suppose I can thank my father for that, being a Hux certainly had it’s benefits.” He managed to keep his voice monotonous until the end, a few words being laced with bitterness.

“Like I said, not very interesting.” His eyes settled on her as he finished speaking finally shoving some food into his mouth. He felt vulnerable now and he hated it.

Kylo Ren shook his head at the suggestion of poking her with a lightsaber. No, that would not be a good move for any of them. The medic shouldn’t be wounded to learn how to treat the wound, and he had to cant his head when she mentioned similar things had happened.

‘Well, we all learn on the fly.’

There had been much he’d learned on his own. The Force was not always forgiving, and though Snoke had taught him so much more, his early adventures had been quite a bit of trial and error. Leia and Han hadn’t known as much, and Luke…well, Luke didn’t understand how to use the Force with emotion at all.

He took what she had to say with a nod, and then moved his helmet out from under his arm, “Fortunately, no one will have to see it,” he lifted the helmet back onto his head, and latched it shut again, hiding away his face and his scar, locking it all neatly behind. “I would appreciate this item though to help it fade. Shall we return to the medical bay?”

He assumed such a thing would be here. He didn’t imagine she would have it on her, “I would like to pick some up. If it is going to take a while…,” no, he wasn’t patient. It was another of the reasons that so many of Luke’s teachings had failed him. They relied on patience and focus, thing that Kylo Ren was not the best at.

Snoke, fortunately, always made his lessons short and to the point. Kylo picked them up easily, and saw in Snoke a better teacher than Luke could ever be.

~***~

Hux was evidently startled by her story. Mira sensed it, felt the emotions ripple, but did not smile at the reaction. There were mixed ones, and pity was not one she cared to sense, though it was there—it was always there.

She ate and listened as Hux relayed his tale now. She did not look at him, to give him a sense of privacy as he let his own walls crumble in telling her more of himself. The unveiling was interesting, and perhaps it was exactly what anyone would expect—but he confirmed it. He would not confirm it to most.

“Ah, but it was interesting." Many things were confirmed. In some ways, their childhood was similar. Well, in the fact that neither of them had parents worthy of the title 'parent', and their lives had not been normal. Neither had much of a childhood to speak of, his bound to duty and hers bound to isolation. "Not all men treat their children the way they treat students. I wondered if your father had been that way, or if he had been worse,” her eyes flickered up to, “To you, it must have felt worse.” He was the man’s son—he should have gotten special treatment, “I was also unaware you were a Cadet,” a high honor in many ways, and it meant he was not one to be underestimated.

Very few Cadets had survived, after all. That was the nature of their game, though. “I wonder, did you kill the others?” It was rhetorical, but she left it open, in case he wanted to confirm it. Was it so embedded into his brain, into his blood, that he would have killed all his rivals, or had he made them his allies in the First Order?

Were there other Cadets? “I appreciate your honesty, General,” he could have lied. She could have lied. She was certain, though, that he hadn’t. He felt too…vulnerable for that. His posturing spoke volumes.

Paquin felt oddly disappointed when Kylo returned his helmet to his face. She found it somehow easier to communicate without the obstruction that is his helmet. But it was likely that he felt uncomfortable with it since he had just expressed his dislike for the scar he sported. She shrugged it off, “Yes, come.” She took one last look around the room, to make sure she’d gathered everything, before heading out of the door.

“I’ll give you the instructions and send you on your way. It won’t take long at all,” she assured. She double checked the other prisoner’s door to make sure it was locked, the Stormtrooper’s had asked that of her. She did the same for the other door once Kylo left the room. The medic then began the trek back to the medical bay, knowing Kylo would follow.

“I’m sure my colleagues will be quite curious as to what I’ve been up to today. It’ll be an interesting story to tell.” She felt like she was at the Academy again, shuffling along and trying to make friends with people who most definitely did not want to be friends with her. “None of us get out of the medical bay much, this is probably the most exciting day for any of us since Starkiller.”

-

“I’m sure it could’ve been worse.” Hux was just saying that, as a child he thought he’d gotten the worst parent. He’d wondered how Kylo Ren could have felt such hate for his parents after they’d provided him some form of support. Even if they hadn’t been the best at it, they’d tried.

But it seemed that Mira had a pretty terrible childhood, even worse than his. She’d gone through two sets of parents and neither of them had even tried to raise her. He wasn’t sure of how she felt about Luke Skywalker or how he raised her, but he knew that Kylo did not like his uncle very much.

“I did kill one fellow Cadet,” he admitted but didn’t elaborate on it. It was the first person he’d killed, and it certainly wasn’t a pleasant experience. Hux had very few good memories, he realized as he spoke to Mira. It was sad, really. He wondered if Mira had more than him, she had been at the Jedi Academy. Surely it hadn’t been all bad.

“As I appreciate yours, Mira.” At least, he thought she was telling the truth. She didn’t hold much emotion when she spoke, so she could have easily lied and he’d be none the wiser. Or, she could have been pretending to be unaffected, like he had tried. “I have a question, if you don’t mind. Was your name always Mira? Or did you adopt the name, like Kylo?” The thought had sprung to him.

Kylo Ren let Paquin check everything, and he eyed the Stormtroopers left behind with suspicion. He knew that no FN’s were left, but all of them were suspect now. If one more dared to defy them, he’d see that Hux got a clone army rather than this brainwashed mess of Stormtroopers. ‘Even if the majority are good, there were never any traitors among the clones.’

Still, it would be rather expensive. He wasn’t sure how they’d fund it.

No matter, a worry for later, if any Stormtrooper thought to release the prisoners and try to escape again. “I trust you will not tell your colleagues much,” Kylo suggested, not realizing until then how little he wanted shared.

Much about him wasn’t to be shared. He couldn’t have his reputation tarnished on the ship. For some reason, he didn’t mind much that it was tarnished with one individual, but with the rest of the ship? No, he wouldn’t be having that. “It is a pity you and the others do not get out much. We need more field medics,” that much was certainly true. The troopers that went out would wish for that quick first aid to save their lives—the few that did die. Perhaps some of them could have been saved.

‘Might be something to suggest.’ See if more medics could be trained for the field, as well.

Before they reached the medical bay, though, Kylo paused. “Hmm?” The sound was made aloud, as his thoughts drifted, picking up on a curiosity—Mira.

He rarely sensed Mira, she kept her emotions locked up tight, but now he could sense her, and not just that, he was quite certain there was another with her, one that made this quite interesting. “I may have better gossip for you to spread, Paquin,” he suggested. He rarely acted his age. Kylo made a gesture with his hand for the medic to follow him, detouring towards the area of the Officers and the Knights.

~***~

‘Of course you did.’ To be a successful Cadet, Mira knew, they had to kill another would-be. Yet, there was no pride from Hux, which caused Mira to arch an eyebrow. He did not elaborate, though. No doubt, to him, it had just been another irksome chore of his fathers.

Imagining he felt any sympathy or dislike of it other than that would be odd. This was the man who ran Starkiller—who destroyed five planets with a word, and would have destroyed six.

Killing could not be a hardship.

“Many things can be worse,” she consented, “We could be dead,” she lifted her own cup in a mock ‘cheers’ motion, and then sipped it, “As for my name, yes. We all had names before becoming Ren,” he hadn’t asked what it was. “The Knights are family,” the only group she would dare to call to family, “but before them, I was called Ceres Mandon,” no one significant, hardly a record on Coruscant, but it would be there. Rosanne and Tyros Mandon were her birth parents—deceased.

So were the ones that adopted her, after a string of fosters, Abelard and Ora Trancy.

No, Mira did not have Kylo’s issues with loving them. “Speaking of, what is your first name? I only ever hear you referred to as Hux, or Brendol’s child.” It was possible that he had been named after his father. Mira wouldn’t put it beyond his father.

“Nothing I shouldn’t be telling them.” She wasn’t that dumb. Nothing of him or the conversation they’d had would be shared. She’d probably just relay how the day came to be and her experience in the command center. Something that would be exaggerated at some point, she knew. That’s really what she was looking forward to. Some people had wild imaginations.

Paquin took in what Kylo had to say. It was rare that medics were sent out on to the field, Hux decided that Stormtroopers were expendable. Easily replaced. At least, when there was an unnecessary amount of them. Medics were a bit more difficult to replace, medicine was a hard thing to learn and not everyone picked up on it so easily. “Maybe now that there are fewer troopers more medics will be sent out.”

Paquin had been trained for field work, the basics that were required at the time, at least. As were a few others. But some people just weren’t built to be in the middle of a war. Some of her coworkers had families that they were providing for, some were just far too nervous. She was not particularly fond of the idea herself. But she’d rather go than let someone with children depending on them. ‘How noble of you.’

She paused just as he did, watching him until he spoke again. “Oh?” She inquired, quickly following after him, “Care to elaborate?” She was confused as to what spurred the detour. ‘Maybe there’s a disturbance in the Force.’ She almost laughed at herself. As if she knew anything about this mystic source.

-

Killing his fellow Cadet had been quite traumatic at the time that it happened. The first kill was always the hardest. Especially when you didn’t want to do it in the first place. But Hux quickly got over that, although it still wasn’t a nice thing to relive.Over time, as he rose in rank, it got easier to pull the trigger. Now he could kill billions of people without even blinking. ‘Father must be so proud.’

“That’s true. There must’ve been plenty of opportunities for us to die.” There were multiple chances for Hux during his time as a Cadet, he could’ve been the one to die instead. There were even more chances after that. No doubt there were times for Mira as well, at least as a Knight. He had not a clue of what life at the Jedi academy was like, but it couldn’t have been that dangerous. He doubted it, anyway.

The General felt a pang of jealousy when she called the Knights family, mentally rolling his eyes at himself. He didn’t need family, he attempted to convince himself. He was far too bitter on the subject, it shouldn’t affect him any longer. “Ceres Mandon,” he repeated. It further convinced him that she hadn’t been lying. It would be so easy to figure out with a name provided.

If Mira hadn’t shared her name, he wouldn’t have dreamed of sharing his. But, it was only fair. “I’m sure it’s exactly what you’d expect. Brendol.” He didn’t bother suppressing an eye roll. Hux hated sharing the name, he did not allow anyone to call him that. Brendol Hux, Hux Jr., none of it. Anyone who uttered the names would be reprimanded. He knew how immature it was.

He was sure the reasoning for the name was either because his father didn’t care, or he was just that full of himself. Or both.

That jealousy was unhidden, and unfortunately, not felt by Mira alone. Kylo Ren felt it as he continued walking towards Mira’s room.

He spoke lowly, conspiratorially, “I think Mira is enjoying being around civilization too much again—and our ginger General is enjoying having a different knight around. Pity it won’t last,” Kylo almost wondered if it was a pity, wondered if Mira might be up for a game of seduction. It wouldn’t be the first time, though usually it was Ariel or Kevan he put to such things. They were both quite pretty, and both quite extroverted.

Reasons they’d never seduce Hux.

“We’ll see if I’m right here in a moment.” The door was in sight, and he did not intend to give either much chance to hide.

~***~

Mira did feel that jealous pang, as well, but brought the cup to her lips to still any comment. ‘You can always make your own family, as well.’ There were many things that could be done, when one made the choice to change. It had taken changing her name to realize how petty things like blood and a past were.

They still hurt, of course. “I’d ask you refrain from calling me that.” The only one allowed was Kylo Ren, and he knew better—the way she knew better than to call him Ben Solo, unless a point needed to be made.

Mira wasn’t surprised by Hux’s reveal. She gave a nod. So much was as she expected, but it was all confirmed now—nothing to wonder about. “I see. I am surprised you do not go by a middle name,” but perhaps Brendol did not bestow such a thing onto his son.

Just as she might have asked more, however, her door slid open and Kylo walked in, saying, “You know, Mira, I think we—” and he stopped dead in his tracks as he walked into the room, playing off the idea that he was ignorant.

It was so, painfully, obvious that he wasn’t ignorant as he let his gaze fall in mock-surprise upon the dinner. “Oh. General.” He would leave Mira out, spare her the outright embarrassment. "I didn't realize this was your idea of interrogating prisoners." Though one could certainly call the Knights prisoners of the First Order. It sometimes felt like it, with how little freedom Kylo felt they had.

‘Or not.’ Seeing her stoic expression, Kylo wanted to break it. He always did, though—Mira was the most collected, the one who refused to learn to use her emotions as the others did. “Mira. I did not realize you were enjoying dinner. I’d offer to get you dessert, but I see you already have a ginger snack.” Unfortunately, Mira didn’t snap as he hoped, but took a deep breath, clearly unphased by his antics. It was disappointing, really.

He took a glance back to see if Paquin had kept up, to see if she'd witness the odd scene of the General sharing a private dinner.

<p>

Hux nodded to let her know he would not be using the name Ceres to address her. He’d respect that. Their situations were similar, him not wanting to be called by his first name and her wanting to referred to as Mira. As for the subject of his middle name, or rather his middle letter, he didn’t have a chance to comment.<br /><br />

On one hand, Hux was thankful for Kylo’s interruption— it offered comedic relief. But on the other, Hux was annoyed with the Knight’s constant need to meddle in his business. It was clear that Kylo hadn’t simply stumbled in, unaware of the dinner that was taking place. He did it deliberately and brought the little medic along with him. <br /><br />

Hux didn’t offer much of a reaction, knowing that’s exactly what Kylo wanted. He did sigh, rubbing his eyes. His voice sounded bored as he spoke, “I wouldn’t call this interrogating. Mira was just willingly sharing information about her mission in Wild Space. Something you failed to do.” <br /><br />

He wasn’t sure how aware Kylo was of what they had been discussing. Mira would have sensed the Knight if he’d been listening in for a while, he figured.<br /><br />

Paquin had managed to keep up with Kylo but paused at the door. An eyebrow rose at the sight, many questions that wouldn’t be answered forming in her head. She was surprised that the General was doing something unrelated to bossing everyone around. The biggest surprise, although Kylo had given a vague explanation, was that Hux was eating dinner so casually with Mira of all people.<br /><br />

She quietly slunk into place beside Kylo, her eyes roaming around the room. They landed on the dinner set up, sparking a question that she let slip out. “Is this a date?” If it was, it was quite possibly the worst one ever. There was nothing romantic about the dinner. The only signs were what Kylo had said before he barged in and their posture, it looked like Hux had been intently listening to whatever Mira was speaking of. But that wasn’t enough to confirm it.<br /><br />

But what did she know about dates?<br /><br />

This was something that would be gossip worthy, though. But, if she were to share anything with her co-workers, she’d leave Mira’s name out of it. Paquin was unsure of how the Knight would react to rumors, not like how she knew how Hux would. Although Mira did seem quite indifferent, maybe it wouldn’t bother her at all.<br /><br />

“Tell me, Ren, is there something you need? Or is it you and your shadow’s sole purpose to irritate me?” At this point, Hux was genuinely curious if Kylo had anything else to do on the ship. At least this was better than sending his troopers off on missions, but maybe Hux would consider giving the Knight a job of some sort. ‘He’d mess that up, too.’ 

</p>

Mira Ren had locked up everything as soon as Kylo entered, and she moved off of her bed calmly, gracefully, as Hux responded with irritation. It was not the outburst Kylo wanted, of course, but it was something he could push. “Really? Mira, talking?” Kylo took a glance to the woman who was now quite silent.

Paquin made her query then, and a grin crept across his face, though it couldn’t be seen.

Mira could feel those fluctuating emotions, though. “Is it?”

“No,” Mira denied. It wasn’t, “It is as Hux said. I was merely filling him in on what I have found in Wild Space.”

“Ah, good. Then you won’t mind going back there to do more for our General and the First Order,” he didn’t give her a chance to respond, knowing that she wouldn’t. To his annoyance, he still felt no emotion.

Mira did feel a touch annoyed, but it didn’t slip through her façade—not on her face, and not through the Force. Now that she was aware, she was locked up tightly again.

so Kylo turned his attention back to General Hux, “I was assisting Paquin in keeping those prisoners you brought back subdued, since you won’t allow me to interrogate them, yet,” because he was still certain that Hux would, eventually, let him. “Had I known you were awake, General, I would have gone ahead and called on Snoke so we could discuss how to proceed now that we’ve launched several new attacks against the Resistance.”

The ‘we’ was really just him, but it didn’t matter.

They were a team now. For the moment. “Are you thinking of bringing the medic into the Knights, Ren?” Mira voiced, her gaze calm upon Paquin.

Kylo’s attention shifted, “What do you mean?”

“What I asked. You are spending an unusual amount of time on someone,” and Mira lifted her hand then, and without provocation, took a hold of the Force and tried to push Paquin back. It was not so much to see if she could push her, but to see if there would be a natural resistance—to see if Paquin had a touch of Force sensitivity to her.

Kylo, however, reacted as soon as he felt the shift, and Mira was thrown back almost immediately after she had manipulated the Force around Paquin.

Not that Mira cared. She hit the wall, but didn’t so much as slip to the floor. Her knees bent, but she remained standing, and straightened up immediately as Kylo rounded on her, forgetting Hux was there completely, the heat of his anger demanding an explanation for Mira’s action.The apathetic expression remained--she was as used to Kylo's tantrums as Hux was, if not more so.

<p>

"I sincerely hope that's all you were doing with the prisoners," Hux was barely able to get an argument out before Mira spoke, from that point on he remained quiet, his eyes flickering between the three of them as the medic was discussed. He finally stood once Mira raised her hand, knowing what typically came after it.<br /><br />

Paquin had barely registered what was happening until she felt what seemed to be the air shifting around her. She herself wasn't pushed into a stumble or a fall, but she did feel a force attempt to shove her. Once Mira was flung into a wall, it finally hit her what exactly had happened. "What the hell was that?" She questioned, even though she knew well enough what it was. Mira had tried to do something to her. She just didn't understand why.<br /><br />

'Was it the date question that ticked her off?'<br /><br />

Hux's attention was on Mira as she was thrown, initially going to help her, but then realized she was still standing. "Are you alright?" Hux didn't detect any expression of pain, but hitting a wall due to the Force still couldn't have been fun. That reminded him. He turned to Paquin, knowing she'd have been blown back as well.<br /><br />

Only she wasn't. <br /><br />

"Ren, go and call on Snoke." Hux demanded as his gaze snapped back to Kylo. He knew it wasn't wise to bark orders at the Knight while he was bordering a tantrum, but the General did not believe now was the right time for it. Kylo could stow away his anger for now.<br /><br />

Maybe it was purely by chance that Paquin was unaffected by the Force, but then there was also a chance that it wasn't. That the medic had actually resisted the push, consciously or not.<br /><br />

"Mira can accompany me with interrogating the prisoners." Hux was not intending on giving either of them an option, "You can send for me once you get hold of the Supreme Leader." The ginger made his way to Mira's side, gripping her arm. He didn't care much if she didn't want him to grab her as he pulled slightly on her arm to get her moving.<br /><br />

Paquin was still confused. Names, orders, people were being thrown around. It all happened as soon as a move was made against her, she felt responsible. "Wait, wait. Maybe we should all just calm down." Although she said 'all', that was directed at Kylo, who was unmistakably angry. Hux was only trying to de-escalate before a lightsaber was drawn, and Mira was, well, Mira. 

</p>

Kylo Ren very nearly exploded as he saw that expression on Mira’s face. So stoic, so confident, and so unafraid. In that moment, nothing was more infuriating—nor had much ever been so infuriating. Her control was worthy of admiration and hate, and it could fuel his use of the Force well.

He lifted his hand to do more, but his own focus was broken when Hux moved, and Hux spoke, moving to defend a Knight of all things. His anger cooled, if only briefly, by his confusion and his paranoia. He was defending a knight…over the medic.

‘I missed something.’ And that paranoia in the pit of his stomach churned. Once, he’d been concerned Mira would overthrow him. That concern resurfaced, after years of her subordination, now it looked like she might be making a move by allying with Hux. Had she taken that seduction idea already and run with it?

The swirling emotions didn’t help his state in dealing with the order. However, it was one that was not difficult for him to accept, “I will,” he all but hissed the words. Defiance shone strongly again.

Mira didn’t shake Hux off, but she did offer an annoyed look as she was pulled along. Then, her attention lifted to Paquin, who was standing. Any normal human would have fallen—her push had not been strong, but strong enough to test the limits. She now knew that Paquin was among the rare group of those Force sensitive individuals. Pity Kylo was about to throw one of his tantrums and Hux was dragging her off before she could explain.

She could let Kylo stew.

She could let Paquin wonder if she was upset with her.

Or, “Kylo, that should have knocked Paquin down. Think.” It was half-insult, half-clarification.

Kylo let his emotions rule him. His immediate rage, though, was interesting. Why did he care if she tossed a medic, especially if he was ignorant to her sensitivity?

Mira didn’t see the change in Kylo’s posture—she was already out the door by then—but she felt it as she walked alongside Hux. The adrenaline started to die in her, and the pain from the wall made itself known, followed by the pressure Hux was inflicting upon her arm.

Paquin would certainly see it, the relaxation, and then, the chuckle that escaped Kylo Ren.

<p>

Paquin watched as Mira was dragged out of the room by the ginger General, waiting until the door was shut behind them. What exactly was Kylo supposed to be thinking about? The fact that she kept herself upright? Her gaze snapped back to the man she spent most of the day with. He seemed much calmer now, he even chuckled. This caused the medic's eyebrows to furrow. "Was that funny? Did I miss a joke?" None of it certainly seemed funny. <br /><br />

She walked forward and sat down where Hux had been, placing her bag on the desk. Just to briefly collect her thoughts. Her head was still full of confusion, wonder. Mira had, at some point, decided to shove Paquin for some unknown reason. That shove should have knocked the brunette on her ass, apparently. But for some reason, it hadn't. "You did, in fact, give me some gossip, that's for sure." A laugh was breathed out.<br /><br />

Despite her laugh, she still looked at Kylo expectantly. Mira was his knight, after all, surely he'd have some sort of answer for her. She somewhat regretted leaving the med bay, then she wouldn't have had a Force-sensitive attempt to abuse her. But a part of her was glad she'd taken a break, for some reason. It wasn't like the ordeal was fun, but it was exciting. <br /><br />

-<br /><br />

Hux kept his firm grasp on Mira's arm until they were a safe distance from her room. He recalled the annoyed look she'd given him and figured that it was more likely for Kylo to come after them than it was for Mira to return to the room. With that thought, he released her arm. "Are you alright?" He questioned again, this time hoping for an answer. It was obvious she didn't break any bones, that would have been heard. But she was likely bruised.<br /><br />

He didn't stop walking, continuing on his way to the holding cells. Whether he was actually going to interrogate them, he had yet to decide. But it was likely that Kylo would send someone that way, once Snoke was contacted. If the Knight actually followed through with the orders. "What was that about?" Now it did seem like he was interrogating Mira. But to his defense, Paquin was a member of the First Order. He couldn't let that slide without at least knowing why she'd done it.<br /><br />

Hux had a guess as to what the reason was. He'd been able to piece Mira's words and actions together. What remained in the air was if Mira had actually sensed Paquin's sensitivity, or if she had done it purely to upset Kylo. "Whatever the reason, though, I still ask that you refrain from using the Force against any of my men. I already have Kylo doing that enough as it is." 

</p>

<p>

</p>

“No joke,” Kylo said, quickly calming his inappropriate amusement, “I did not see it until now, but I understand why Mira reacted as she did. Rest assured—you didn’t upset her,” he didn’t know if Paquin would believe him or not. It would not matter now. Later, the women could hash it out.

He did feel a bit odd in Mira’s room then. The area was so sparse, though, that he knew there was nothing to spy on. There was rarely any gossip to be had about Mira. She kept everything so close, that even in her room, there were no personal effects.

It was creepy, honestly.

“Be sure to spread that gossip. Hux needs some rumors,” even if it was at the expense of a Knight. Mira would shrug it off easier, “As for what that was all about, well,” he crossed his arms and leaned on the wall near the doorway, “You, Paquin, are Force-sensitive. It is…mild. Untrained. Untapped. But it is there. The Force reacted to your intuitive need to be protected, and kept Mira’s move against you from being worse than it was.”

He was looking at her in a new light now. There were always a few late-bloomers, but many became great. “It can be trained,” he told her. “You can get better with the Force.”

~***~

Mira shook her head at Hux’s first question—not to indicate that she was not well, but to indicate the question was unnecessary. She continued to walk along with him as he continued. “I am well, General. That is hardly the first time I’ve dealt with Kylo’s temper,” he could do much worse, and had. Family wasn’t always nice—family was always what hurt a person the most. “Unlike you, we Knights are not sacrosanct.”

Mira was used to the ups and downs of the chaotic knights. “I do apologize for causing stress to one of the First Order. It was the quickest way to ascertain if she was Force sensitive, and the medic is. Kylo may have noticed it, but not consciously. I needed to make sure of it before I told him,” otherwise he’d call her out on her inability to recognize talent.

That was far from the truth. “If I had been wrong, Paquin would have merely been pushed to the ground. I would not have harmed her.” She had some control, which was why her power was always in check—unlike Kylo, who seemed to almost always go all-out when he utilized the Force.

<p>

Paquin nodded, not quite sure if he was being genuine or if he was just trying to clear the name of his Knight. It didn’t matter at that moment, though— it’s not like anything could be done about it. What did matter was whatever Kylo was getting at. And thankfully that was elaborated on soon enough.<br /><br />

If one good thing did come out of this experience, it was the rumors that were going to be spread. She wasn’t originally going to mention Mira’s name, but now she was thinking about it. It was petty, she knew. But it wasn’t like she could Force push Mira back. 'Or maybe I can?' Was her first thought upon hearing her name in the same sentence as Force-sensitive. “Are you sure?” Stupid question.<br /><br />

The next thought that popped into her mind was if she actually wanted to be trained in the Force. She’d gone twenty-eight years without it, or at least without using it. But she was also curious, so little was known about it. “If I did train, would I be forced to join the Knights?” Paquin actually laughed at the image of her, barely five foot with little muscle, being a Knight. “If it’ll effect my current job, count me out.” Sure, the Force was interesting, but Paquin had worked hard to get her job. <br /><br />

-<br /><br />

“If you say so." Some family they were if none of them were sacrosanct. Then again, they weren’t exactly a normal family. They were a group of Force-sensitive warriors who seemed to spend little amounts of time with each other. But yet, they still felt some familial feelings towards each other, for some reason. <br /><br />

“I understand that, and in this situation, I’ll let it go. I trust it won’t happen again, even if you do think someone is Force-sensitive.” While he was worried for the well-being of his people, he also didn’t want another Kylo. Even if she was more controlled, his workers could still develop a fear of Mira and she could gain some sort of superiority over them. Although, she probably wouldn’t be around for much longer.<br /><br />

“What will happen to the medic?” Hux had a vague idea. It’ll likely be brought to the attention of the Supreme Leader and Paquin will either be trained or terminated. It would be a shame if she were killed, the girl seemed to be good at keeping people alive. “She might hold a grudge, she likely doesn’t understand that it was just a friendly shove. Paquin may come after you when she’s a Sith lord.” It was a joke, obviously, but Hux’s voice remained the same deadpan tone. 

</p>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back