• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Coorayne observed the smuggler with keen eyes. Apparently, Valk was equally torn as he was himself between distrust and the need for cooperation in such a life-threatening environment. They were both hiding something form the other and they were also both aware of that fact which made the situation a stalemate. As long as the man's secret did not involve the First Order or Kylo Ren, he was fine with letting him keep them. In addition to soothing his conscience, offering to watch over the trader had the advantage that he could keep an eye on him and would not be ambushed so easily. As the other relaxed slightly and agreed to his offer, the scout was finally convinced that he had no intention of tracking the Jedi.
The statement "I'm guessing this ain't for free is it?" caught Coorayne a bit off guard. His intention had been to help the man leave the planet as quickly and alive as possible, while keeping a close eye on him. Payment had never been part of his considerations. As the trader evaluated the damage to his vessel, just as the Shistavanen had before, the scout weighed his options. Then an idea occurred to him which could turn out to be beneficial for the Jedi and him as well. "How many food rations do you have? I would trade you some in exchange for my assistance. And I have to insist that you ask no questions about me and my reasons for being here", he growled in a less hostile manner than before.
Finally, he remembered that he had never actually introduced himself. Well, if he wanted to gain some basic level of trust, an introduction would be in order. "Call me Coorayne", he yelped and gave a nod which was intended to look friendly.
The lioness Keera seemed to have sensed the reduction of hostility and lost interest in their discussion. Licking its paw and then yawning in a deliberately bored manner, the beast appeared more like a spoiled cat than a feral creature. As Keera heard his name spoken, she pricked up her ear in recognition and threw him an intense gaze. Reaching out to her with the Force, he felt her wish to stray around and maybe hunt down some small creature to quench her hunger. At his inclination of the head in understanding and agreement, she lazily got to her feet and strolled off into the forest. "Don't worry. Keera will do you no harm", Coorayne growled quickly in the direction of his new companion, before he would get too trigger-happy.

Valk's white shirt was covered in dust and grease, with the Corellian flight vest, boots and trousers stained green from flora that breached the window and smashed itself against him when he landed. "Coorayne, eh? Good to meet you," he stated, letting his smile grow genuine as he walked to the Shistavanen. Valk let his posture relax, his hand drifting away from his pistol to extend a leather gloved hand for a shake. Most trades and introductions, in his business concluded with a handshake. The leather glove was helpful when keeping off fingerprints, lifting crates, and dealing with less dry or cleanly buyers.

This deal, Valk decided, was an easy one. He was dead if he didn't get off this planet, either from fauna, or his contractors hunting him down for taking their money and running. Even if they were pissed that they didn't have as much of a shipment as they ordered, they at least would still get their cargo and pay him; probably less, but they'd pay him. Yeah, Coorayne could get his food, if Valk could get his ship fixed. "It's a deal, friend. I have a cargo of food. Healthy, and fresh if the cryo units held up with the crash. I'll supply enough to feed your group each day that my ship is getting fixed. As a show of goodwill, I'll help you carry the first case to your camp, or whatever it is your sleeping at," he stated, actively pointing out where the cargo hold was, looking relatively undamaged; he new that the modified magnetic locks from Onderon were worth the price.

Apparently, Coorayne has done something right, although diplomacy and negotiations were not his forte. Finally, the trader relaxed and even extended his hand in an offering of sealing their verbal contract. The Shistavanen had long since gotten used to this practice which most humanoids in the galaxy were fond of. On Uvena Prime, he might have come nose to nose with his partner and taken in his scent to be sure that there was no intention of betrayal, but humans felt truly disturbed by this practice, so he had stopped it almost immediately after leaving his home world and starting to interact with other species. Thus, he grabbed the offered hand in return with his careful not to take hold too strongly lest his claws would tear the leather.
Helping out the trader was a good deal for Coorayne and the Jedi under his protection. The scout would have had to spend most of his days hunting food and keeping an eye on the pups, now he would spend them keeping an eye on the trader and maybe helping out with the repairs, if he could persuade Keera to keep watch for a few hours and if his new acquaintance would trust him enough to let him aboard his ship. The man seemed aware that he had little other options, but the wolfman was still surprised that he offered to give them a full day's ration ahead of time.
But the offer to help carry the rations to the camp brought some predicament for Coorayne. If he let him go there and see the Jedi, he might realize who they were or recognize Luke Skywalker. There were only so many people with mechanic hands wearing Jedi robes in the Galaxy. However, if he did decline the offer and insist on going alone, he would only arise suspicion and the other might follow or or spy on him without him knowing. The best he could do was warn them. Hopefully, Kittani had something less conspicuous to wear than her Jedi robes and Master Luke would have the mind to stay hidden, unless he wanted the news of his reappearance to hit the galaxy. Well, that would be up to the Jedi Master to decide and be responsible for.
Nodding to Valk, Coorayne growled: "Alright. I will contact my camp, while you check on your cargo and ready 8 rations for now. I don't want them to consider us unwelcome visitors." Sending him a meaningful look, the Shistavanen took a few steps backward to be overheard less easily, although not completely getting out of sight or earshot. Picking up the comm link, he pressed a button to select and contact Kittani. The only response he received was crackling white noise. Snarling in irritation and annoyance, he pressed another button to cancel the call and selected Luke Skywalker instead. Again only crackling white noise responded. Shab! What was going on? Well, whatever was going on had to be damn serious or two Jedi Masters would have easily dealt with it.
Glancing up at his companion, he realized that his irritation had not been unnoticed. "I cannot get a signal. We will have to go and find out what is going on", the Shistavanen snarled in irritation without intending to affront the other man. Realizing his unfriendly tone, he continued in a softer and calmer voice. "We'd better prepare for trouble, leave the rations here and take our weapons." As an afterthought, he added: "You wouldn't happen to have a rifle aboard your ship?", while he cursed himself for having left his own along with his backpack at the camp. His two blasters would last for some time, but still he would feel safer. if he could keep his distance during surveillance to find out whether they still were at the camp, had received unwelcome company or left it completely for whatever reason.

With a shrug, Valk had walked over to the cargo bay, fiddling with a security panel to try and manually override the thing to open. It looked intact enough, but it wasn't the easiest task getting the panel off to expose the buttons and level of the control. Pressing a quick sequence the magnetic seals disengaged and the door slowly lowered itself open, the sound of powerful hydraulics letting out a hiss as the internal atmosphere acclimated itself to his surroundings. At a point the lid stopped opening half way with a chunking noise. Valk gave a swift kick to the ship's hull, and it began lowering again. Obviously it hadn't escaped unscathed. When the door had opened, the smuggler was glad to see the cargo in the ship was relatively safe, all the proper lights were blinking, and while some crates had been tossed around, it must have been near the end of the crash, when the artificial gravity disengaged. Even most of the hidden caches remained closed and hiding his weapons.

A proud grin on his face, Valk went around back to get Coorayne to help with the cargo. He was more than a little worried to see him curse at his communicator. "Everything alright?" He asked, and got his answer. The smuggler wouldn't have thought it too strange for a planet this dense to have messed with communications, there were many anomalies in the galaxy, though the Shistavanen's reaction illustrated this was far from normal. The next question did catch Valk off guard however. He had blaster rifles, of course, but they were far from legal. If this guy was working for the First Order, the smuggler would be on a prison ship sooner than he could say poodoo. But the look on Coorayne's face spoke volumes. He was worried, possibly desperate; unlikely to care over the type of blaster shoved into his hands.

"Yeah. I'll grab some. We'll talk about price later, just don't ask any questions," he said gravely, a suspicious look in his eyes as he jogged back behind the ship and pulled from one of the hidden caches a pair of Disrupter rifles. Blaster rifles that would rip a target apart on a molecular level. Popular among snipers. Very expensive. If one of these went missing there would be questions and a lot of money. Grabbing a pair of ammo belt alongside them, he leapt out of the ship, and quickly engaged the closing mechanism. "Here. Don't ask why I have these," he raised his voice over the sound of the closing ship door, as he passed the rifle and ammo belt over. "Now where to, Coorayne," he asked, pulling the ammo belt over his should and grabbing a pair of goggles from his belt to put over his eyes, and shouldering the rifle.

When Coorayne had asked for a rifle, he had never expected such an answer. The guy had several rifles aboard his ship? The part about not asking questions dissolved his feelings of suspicion and unease though. If he were transporting those for the First Order in any official way, such a question would be completely unnecessary. This made Valk either a smuggler for a neutral party or for the Alliance which would be even more helpful. Growling "No questions." to dissolve the other's suspicions, the Shistavanen followed him inside and stopped dead outside the actual door, as his sensitive eyes made out the contents of the hidden cache in the half-light.

Holy Sith! Those were real Disruptor rifles, not just orindary blaster rifles. A good sniper like himself could reduce a target to its molecular pieces without having to get closer than a few hundred feet. General Organa hated them for their inhuman distructive powers which was the main reason why they had mainly been used in the days of the old Empire and become popular with the First Order again whose officers seemed to revel in destruction. Now however with whatever had cut him off from the Jedi lurking out there and possibly threatening the Masters and the children, Coorayne was deperate enough to turn to such desperate means.

Swiftly, the scout took a few steps backward, as Valk leaped outside with two rifles and ammo belts in hands. He gave the man a wry wolfish grin at the words "Don't ask why I have these" While he put on the ammo belt and checked the state of the brand new, fully intact rifle, he stated sarcastically: "Don't worry. I'm the last one to hand you over to the First Order." For a moment, he considered whether he should continue, but then trust in his feelings that he could share the information without harm. More seriously he added: "I am Lieutenant Coorayne from the Alliance Scout Corp. So you need neither worry about the First Order nor your payment for these."

Shouldering the disruptor rifle, as he watched the other prepare for the walk in the dark with goggles, he added in a professional tone: "It will be an hour of walk through the jungle. Then, we get to a clearing near the cliff where the cave with our camp is hidden. We must not step on the clearing or we are easy to see and take out for whoever is up there. I will try and perform some recon, once we are close enough." That he hoped to be able to feel the presence or absence of the Jedi through the Force was not an information he was willing to share. It still felt too awkward and risky of failure to consider it a reliable skill yet.

Howling a call for Keera the scout looked, listened and smelt into the jungle, before he reached out with the Force. No danger seemed to be close by, some predators were on the hunt, but for other prey. Bat-like beasts flew through the night preying on monkey babies and bird fledglings. Then, he sensed a presence approaching, reached out and realized it was Keera.

As the bushes rustled and his companion drew his blaster, he held out his hand quickly in a defensive move and snapped: "Stop! It is only Keera." Moments later the lioness became visible, as she jumped out of the bushes and stopped dead in her tracks to lock eyes with him. In the following moments, they communicated about the danger for their pack through thoughts and emotions, until the cat creature turned on its heel and sprinted off into the direction of the cave.

"She will check out our path and warn us of the predators or anything unusual", the Shistavanen explained calmly, as if he had just given orders to a fellow soldier. "Come! We should go!", Coorayne growled in Valk's direction in an urgent tone. Without any technical aid the wolf man stepped into the darkness of the jungle, as his natural instincts, Force sensitivity and his people's ability to see even in near darkness made him independent of such tools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back