• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Rising Tide [closed]

She may not willingly relinquish the artifacts, but Kylo would have them one way or another. If he had to leave them behind this time and come back with all of his Knights, then so be it. She and her guard shouldn’t be able to stand against all of them.

The woman left him alone, and Kylo looked back at the holocron still in his hand. Curiosity. His mind still raced with curiosity for a glimpse into everything in the archives.

But he only had so much time. He would be expected back all too soon to get any real satisfaction here.

So Kylo took the opportunity to delve into the holocron he held in his hand and one other. Lessons and stories are what they were, just as the woman said. And she seriously expected him to behave and leave them alone? Maybe not now, but he would come back for them.

Should Myka decide to check up on Kylo, he would be sitting on the floor, staring at a holocron and listening to a story it told of the Sith.

~~

Azra hardly believed his apology, but she wouldn’t call him out on it. She allowed it to slide. His smile was partly to blame for that.

“You and BB-8 seem to be pretty close,” she had noticed. Others she seen with droids typically treated them as such, without any regard for emotions. But with the little she had observed of Poe’s and BB’s partnership, it was clear the two worked very well together and had known one another a long time.

In the Resistance for five years now. That sounded about right to Azra, for when she started hearing about them. A few months later, the first propaganda pieces started coming out against them.

The city grew closer, and Azra knew she would have to end their brief interview soon. “What do you see for the future of the Resistance? Are you confident in your abilities to go head to head against the First Order and win?”

Myka would not, in fact, return to check on Kylo Ren. Her archivist would return to his job, and she would return to her throne, to resume going over her texts when she’d been so rudely pulled away from them. ‘There’s more to all of this.’ More to the knights, more to the Sith Eternal, more to the foolish masks.

‘Masks. Momin.’

Her mind pulled out of the texts, to recall that masks weren’t actually that stupid. Well, they were – but they had a use for someone who was going to die.

She set aside her current texts, made tea, and had Merryn bring her one of her books on masks and the practice of ancient sith with them, getting a brief update that Kylo was, in fact, looking over the holocrons. Currently sith ones, it seemed.

“Good. Thank you,” she’d let Merryn return to his work.

~***~

“Yeah, we are,” Poe confirmed, as BB-8 trilled out agreement that Poe was the best he’d ever worked with. It was why he’d also left Republic Navy service – or why he’d made Poe take him, really.

He chuckled at the question, “You know I do.” He’d said as much before, with Leia at the helm. They’d taken down an Empire. The First Order was nothing compared to that. They’d destroy them, once Leia gave the go-ahead.

Right now, Leia was being cautious. Gathering information. Trying to find Luke.

They would be ready, though.

“Ideally, the New Republic will see the need for something like us, and we’ll be able to operate alongside them, but if not,” Poe shrugged, “then we’ll remain a group of vigilantes even after the Order. There’s always someone who’s going to try and pull on the old legacies and come back to cause harm to the galaxy and the people in it.”

Kylo didn’t know how much time had passed since Myka left him and he started focusing more on the holocrons. He wouldn’t have guessed it had been too long except for when he moved to stand, his back felt a little stiff from remaining in one position for too long.

As he didn’t know the layout of the temple, and the woman didn’t seem particularly keen on his wandering the place by himself, he would have to ask her archivist to send a message.

“You there!” He barked at Merryn. “Send a message to Darth Vesta that I want to see her again.”

Kylo hardly cared what they would think about him and his demands. If he had his way, they would be gone soon anyways. As far as he saw it, they were complicit in his Knight’s death.

~~

Azra chuckled with BB-8’s little trill of agreement. Really, it was too cute, and their little back-and-forths were amusing. She could easily tell they had grown very close, beyond what she normally saw between people and their droids.

In some cases, Poe’s confidence could be a good thing. She admired it then, as he saw hope and ambition for the Resistance. He wouldn’t let their current odds discourage him or discourage the growing Resistance.

But aren’t most of you in the Resistance part of old legacies as well?

But he was right. Legacies from the Galactic Empire ran deep in the First Order. Her father had been a young officer in the waning days of the Empire. Nearly everyone she knew held similar familial connections.

“Well, I certainly hope you maintain that drive and hope in the future. It may be what the galaxy needs.” The cold war certainly didn’t leave her feeling any particular hope for either the New Republic or even the First Order. “And I thank you for this rather short and impromptu interview.”

Merryn had just gotten back to the room when Ren barked an order at him. He wasn’t a fool not to take it, but he did give Ren a bit of a disgusted look for it all the same. Still, he turned on heel and left the room, to go back to the throne room, and let Myka know that her new interest wanted to see her.

Perhaps he was finally going to leave. It was what Merryn hoped. He didn’t like the feeling that emanated from Kylo. It seemed to promise death.

Myka, at least, did not leave the Knight waiting. She left her books behind, but returned to the archive room, tea in hand, to find Ren no longer looking over any holocron. At least the room didn’t seem to be too much of a mess, though she did reach out with the Force to pull up the most recently discarded holocron and put it back in its place.

“How can I assist, Ren?” He wanted her for a reason. Perhaps now he was ready to reconsider what it was he wanted.

~***~

Poe could only nod, “I will.” He wouldn’t let go of hope. He wouldn’t lose his optimism. He knew what had been done in the past, and he would make sure that it was done again, if necessary. He knew the Order had some forces, and some significant power. Leia’s son. But he believed in them.

He believed, hoped, that the New Republic would come around, too.

“Wait, is it already over?” Poe wasn’t surprised as they stepped onto an actual road, the city now able to catch them in its shadow, but still, “Do you think you really got enough for much of a story?” He was delaying, trying to think of something before they started to talk of farewells.

He knew he’d still promised her a list.

And he knew he still needed the information she had on the Order.

He supposed that was likely going to be the best way to try and ‘buy’ it, but he still didn’t feel as if he’d gotten enough, himself.

And he wasn’t ready to say goodbye.

Merryn was not pleased with Kylo’s demand. He could feel the archivist’s disgust, but he brushed it aside as if he was amused with a child’s anger. It was harmless for Kylo. Merryn was harmless, as far as he was concerned.

The woman didn’t leave him waiting for long. She returned, and the holocron he had just watched was replaced back in its spot on the shelf. “You have an impressive collection.” He ignored her question at first.

But it wasn’t one he would ignore for long.

“Truly, to be able a glimpse into them all would require more time than I can spare on this planet.” A reminder he couldn’t stay on the planet for an undetermined length of time for the sole purpose of going through the holocrons. “But to leave them behind would be such a loss.”

He walked over to Myka, his pace slow and relaxed. “And my path will not lead me here very often.” Kylo hoped his insinuated demand was understood.

He wanted to take them.

~~

Azra pressed the button on her recorder to pause it before shoving it back into her pocket. “Well, yeah it’s over. The interview was only supposed to last until we reached the city,” she shrugged. “I think I have enough beyond the interview to write a story.”

The story could begin with some cute introduction of how first impressions were everything, and her first impression of him started when he helped her from having a hole in her body.

“Why? Were you hoping to talk more about yourself?” It was a slight tease, but one built on the thought that Poe would really talk forever about himself. He gave off that vibe for her, yet in his own charming way, Azra didn’t find it annoying.

She hadn’t quite wanted to say goodbye either. “I do still want that list.” She was prepared to negotiate for it, even if it meant spending a little more time with Poe Dameron.

She wouldn’t complain.

Ah, of course, the Knight Ren seemed to be going back to threats. To demands. Myka remained calm, poised, as he approached with that slow gait. It likely intimidated many. His mere appearance likely intimidated many.

‘To attempt to leave with them, would be a far greater loss, Ren.’

Myka did not remind him of that. He had not made his threat overt, “I am sure someone in such a position as yourself can find opportunities to return and study.” Although, she knew, that was not what he wanted. Not an answer he was keen to accept.

She sipped her tea.

“Or perhaps we can come to another arrangement. There is much about the outside world I do not know.” She did not know this Snoke, and she did not know this First Order. Was his position enough to give her an in there – to put a foothold into the system, and start to figure it out?

She didn’t know if he was even willing to humor it, but she set the hint, as he set the threat, as an opportunity.

~***~

Apparently the interview was over, and he chuckled. “I could,” he didn’t feel like he’d said much at all, at least. Of course, he hadn’t gotten to say too much about the Resistance, or the Order, or all of those problems. It was, indeed, about him. And a bit of who he was outside of the Resistance, which he supposed did at times get lost.

He didn’t see a life outside of it, after all.

Even when this war was over.

“All right, all right, let’s negotiate. You want the list. I want your information on the Order,” Poe stated. “But you’re still not going to give that up to me for the list, are you?” He was pretty sure that would be too easy, “So how about I show you the planets, and I show you what the Order’s done, and after that, you make sure to publish that paper with the information – and this new information. Deal?”

Kylo could return and study, but he knew even that was so limited. He could only return so often before it conflicted with his mission in the First Order and his training.

Oh how he wished to throw that teacup against the wall.

She laid out an alternative. While she did not outright request it, Kylo could conclude that she wanted to come back with him.

And he entertained the idea.

“You did kill one of my Knights,” he mused, halting his steps a few feet from Myka. “An impressive, albeit annoying, feat.” To get her on his side, what potential would there be? Potentially greatness, yet there was the matter of Snoke. What would he say to the arrival of a Sith?

He wanted to risk it. “You can come with me to see your questions answered as mine are.”

~~

Poe had been right to assume Azra wouldn’t give up her information on the Order for his list, but it had been tempting. She could’ve given him a little, the smallest things, and say that was all she had.

“Wait, what?” His negotiation was unexpected, to say the least. “You want to show me the planets?” It wasn’t a terrible idea. She would be getting the information she wanted, and Poe would be the information he wanted - in a way.

A little voice in her mind demanded for her to accept the deal.

She stopped in her steps. “Okay, I accept, but only on one condition.” Azra turned to face Poe and jabbed one finger at him. “We are not taking your X-Wing everywhere.” The way his body felt pressed against hers was still fresh on her mind, and she did not want to be that distracted the entire time.

But Azra knew he wouldn’t take his ship everywhere. She hoped.

Myka managed to refrain from rolling her eyes at his accusation. If he cared so much about his dead knight, he should have done something by now. Instead, he had taken her up, offer after offer. She couldn’t imagine he was terribly close with the knight. Or considered it a great loss of a tool.

He had others.

He could replace this one, too.

But not her – the potential he saw in her hint, even with the knowledge they shared a goal, did not detour him from accepting the offer. “Then I will come along, and I will bring a few holocron. Should it all work out, perhaps I’ll take up a permanent residence among this First Order…though that isn’t yours to say.”

A pity.

One day he would fix that. “Let me get a few things.”

~***~

Poe felt a smirk rise to his face as he caught Azra off guard with his request. He had known he wouldn’t get the information in any standard fashion, but this? This he could do. And if it got more information out, quickly, about what the Order was doing then he might gain the Resistance more allies.

Powerful allies.

“You got it,” he said as she questioned his intent, reassuring her of it. He would absolutely show her the planets.

He laughed a bit at that, “Okay, okay, but I have to go drop it off, then,” Takodana would do for a drop-off. Maz would make sure no one would steal it, and it would make sure that Azra also didn’t know where the Resistance base was. “First I have to finish up here, then I can get you back to your ship, then mine, and then Takodana. I can leave my X-Wing there. Sound good?”

Kylo’s face twitched beneath the shielded safety of his helmet. No, he ultimately would not be able to say if she could stay in the First Order or not. That decision rested with Supreme Leader Snoke.

But if he saw what she could do for them, Kylo saw no trouble in convincing him of her use.

“Try not to take too long.” While he did not think Myka would need an eternity to gather her things, he didn’t wish to linger for too much longer.

He considered asking exactly how many holocrons were ‘a few,’ but it wasn’t feasible for her to bring them all. Not only would it take too much time to pack them all away, but that would just be too much stuff. Too heavy. They would have to come back again in the future to Korriban, should she stay.

“I will wait here for your return.”

~~

Azra chewed her lip in thought, her eyes scanning every inch of his face for any hidden deceit, to see if this was all some trick. She made it her mantra to not trust pretty men, but what hidden intentions could he have for offering to show her what the First Order was doing?

She may regret ever asking herself that question.

“Okay, yes, that sounds good.” Take their respective ships to Takodana, Poe leaves his X-wing behind, and he takes her off to these unknown planets where the First Order have made their mark. It seemed simple enough.

“What do you have to finish up here?” They were walking into the city now, where they should have parted ways. But Dameron’s offer was too enticing for Azra to pass up. “Will it take much longer?”

Myka had no plans to delay, “I will not be long,” she had plenty, obviously, but not much that she would be taking along with her to a foreign place. She left the area, and would return to her room – momentarily running her hand over the satin sheets of her bed.

She had a feeling luxury such as this was not going to be common where she was going.

Nor was attire that she liked going to be common; she made sure to pack plenty of the more revealing articles, imagining she could create a scandal if everyone covered up like Ren. Just a wrist was likely to bother them.

And that was a certain power that might get less self-controlled people talking about how things worked in this First Order, and how she might rise to power in it, if she desired it for herself.

Of course, she also snatched up her lightsaber, hygienic supplies, one pillow and one blanket to help make it feel less like a hell wherever she ended up, and a few of her current study materials, before she would return to the holocron room with her bag – and pull about ten of the holocrons into her bag, as well.

“Ready!” The bag was ridiculously large, and with her strength alone she wouldn’t have been able to carry it – but that’s what the Force was for.

~***~

Poe could sense the concern on Azra’s face as she looked him over, looking for anything wrong, or deceptive. He withstood it without looking away from her, waiting for her to determine that he was trustworthy enough. It didn’t take long, thankfully.

“Well, I saw one thing I wanted to see, but I’m still trying to find out if there’s any sort of rebellion going on here,” he had hoped to find something near the crater, which he didn’t realize would be a crater, but, well, nothing.

Still, with that existing, he was more certain that there had to be activity on this planet, somewhere.

What better place than to continue searching than the city, right? “Look, if I can’t find anything after a day, we’ll leave – but I have to try.”

Kylo’s gaze followed Myka as she walked out of the room. When she was gone, he turned back to the holocrons on the shelves, attention focused on the ones he hadn’t looked at earlier.

Except, there were so many. He couldn’t look over all of them before they left, but it would occupy his time until she returned.

Which she did in no time. Kylo wasn’t left waiting for very long, which pleased him. One eyebrow rose at the sight of her bag, and with the addition of the ten holocrons, he had to wonder what all she packed. “I don’t think you have enough.” As long as she didn’t try and force him to carry it, and it seemed like she wouldn’t, but rather rely on the Force to help her.

He turned and made his way to the exit of the archives. “My ship is just outside the temple.” Myka probably already knew that. She probably sensed him the moment he stepped on the planet. “There’s a sandstorm outside. Do try and not get buried.”

~~

One day. Azra could handle waiting around for one day. What else was she going to do? Or go?

“Okay, okay, only a day,” she emphasized. Dammit, she just wanted the list, and now she was going to be dragged who-knows-where for who-knows-how-long, with a man she hardly knew (but certainly wouldn’t mind getting to know better, under different circumstances).

“Though if you manage to find a lead for this rebellion, I wouldn’t oppose it if you wanted to stay on the planet an extra day.” Poe would get more information about this rebellion, and Azra would learn more about the planet and the players in this war.

If there was a rebellion, then the people of Hays Minor hadn’t completely given up hope. They still believed that there was a chance to destroy the First Order’s control on them, and she wanted to learn more about that.

With a gesture of one hand in front of her, “Lead the way.”

Myka grinned up at the helmet, “I could get more, I have a feeling your First Order is going to be rather uncomfortable,” but she would refrain. She knew he was only speaking sarcastically, and she wouldn’t invite more trouble than necessary.

Sandstorms were also nothing new to her. It would be a touch annoying, but nothing she wasn’t used to dealing with. A Force Shield was often enough to keep her path clear and keep sand from mussing her hair or getting into her eyes.

She would follow him, of course, and when they stepped out, she would use the Force to create something of a barrier between herself, and the wind, while looking for his ship. That was out of sight, thanks to the sand, but she was certain he’d be able to find it.

Assuming he wasn’t buried by the sand.

~***~

“Thank you,” Poe said, chuckling a bit at her consideration of staying longer if there was a rebellion. He wasn’t going to oppose that, obviously, and so he did lead the way.

A cantina was usually where he picked up information, so he intended to find one that seemed like more of a dive than the others. “So, tell me about your ship, Azra, since we’ll be spending some time in it.”

BB-8 seemed to let out an exasperated, ‘oh brother’ series of beeps at that. “Whaaat? It’s good to know what we’re getting into ahead of time,” Poe defended.

BB-8 didn’t seem to think that was the plan. Poe just wanted to talk about ships and find out if she had good tastes or not.

For a brief second, Kylo wondered what he had gotten himself into. What exactly had Myka meant by uncomfortable? Stars, what did she pack to bring along?

As he said, the sandstorm still raged outside. Unlike Myka, he didn’t create a Force Shield around himself, as his helmet did its job in protecting his head from the blinding sand, but he did use the Force to seek out his ship, instead of blindly searching for it in the storm.

He set out, steps slowed by the impact of the winds. Kylo didn’t bother to check and see if Myka was following him, but he would allow a sort of Force trail to fall behind him, in case she did get lost. It would be a pain to find her if she got herself buried.

Eventually they did reach the ship, and the ramp descended as Kylo approached it. He wasted no time in ascending the ramp, only then turning and seeing if Myka had successfully followed him once he was completely inside.

~~

Azra laughed; she was beginning to like the droid more and more, as it was not afraid to call out Poe on anything. She ignored the implications, though, of what BB-8 was trying to accuse him of.

That was a hole she would rather not go down.

“Oh, my ship is nothing special. I had to get something cheap and fast, and it was available.” She was more concerned about how far she could get away as soon as possible. “It’s a small, streamlined craft, and it gets me where I need it to go.”

It hadn’t failed her yet, despite the one time Azra forgot to refuel and nearly didn’t make it to the nearest planet. Poe didn’t need to know about that. “Could it use a few upgrades? Sure. And I definitely wouldn’t trust it in battle.” She didn’t even know if the blaster cannon worked.

Poe didn’t need to know that.

Kylo’s ship was a design not entirely unfamiliar. A shuttle for commanders, or that was what she recalled from one lesson when Phantasm had pointed it out. It was nothing like her own ship, which certainly needed a look-over when she got back. She tended to neglect it, although some of her minions used it for travel around Korriban, or even off-world, when it was necessary. So, Myka was certain it still functioned.

She stepped easily onto the ship, and up the ramp, glancing around the interior of the ship, before moving to set her bag along a wall, where she assumed it would be safe.

“What should I expect?” She asked him, already heading to the cockpit of the ship without invitation. “With the First Order? Am I going to be put in binders on arrival?” it would almost be amusing if that happened.

As if she couldn’t get out of binders.

Well, they probably didn’t know that.

~***~

Poe almost winced as she described her ship. A nothing-special, cheapo, speed model. He could imagine it didn’t carry much fuel, and that flying it around might require a few stops for fuel. Not to mention it might be useless if they got attacked. If it could be trusted at all.

“Sounds…sounds great,” Poe did not sound enthused, at all. “How, uh, how long have you been doing this kind of thing?” Journalism in dangerous territories with that kind of atrocious ship.

BB-8 chimed out a sound that sounded like a laugh, but there was an undercurrent of anxiety, too. Telling Poe to lighten up wasn’t going to be believable if BB-8 was worried, too – but the droid tried, as they ventured through the streets, only too populated with Troopers around every corner.

Poe didn’t try to duck them.

But he noticed them, and how few citizens were out and about. At least they weren’t being stopped. Yet.

Kylo had moved to the cockpit before Myka stepped on board, and once she did, he prepared the ship for departure, closing the ramp and starting the engines.

He spared a glance in her direction when she headed for the cockpit. Unless she felt the foolish desire to touch something, he would allow it. It would be easier than arguing with her to stay away.

“You will most likely be put in binders upon arrival.” No one would be expecting her, and unless Kylo said otherwise, the troopers may immediately move to bind her until it was discussed what to do with her.

“After that, you will be taken to Supreme Leader Snoke, where we will all have a pleasant conversation.” There was sarcasm. Kylo didn’t know how Snoke would react to the Sith he brought back, and so he already geared himself up for an uncomfortable conversation.

~~

Upon sight of the stormtroopers, Azra flipped up the hood of her jacket, concealing most of her face from their view. “There’s no need to be nervous about my ship,” she grinned. The nerves brought forward by the idea of her little run-down ship did not escape her notice.

She understood, but she also wanted to poke fun at them.

“I’ve been doing this for about...six months or so.” Not long at all, a fact she was sure would surprise him and his droid. He probably expected someone with several years of experience under her belt.

Or had hoped for one.

But Azra hadn’t crashed her ship yet, nor had she been blasted out of the sky. “I know it’s not the ideal ship, but it was all I could get at the time.”

Myka would not touch anything, except the chair that she sat in, properly, this time. At least, for the moment. Her eyes skimmed over the console. It was significantly more advanced than her ship. This shouldn’t surprise her, and yet she did wonder at it, all the same.

New things were interesting.

She was curious how far the Order’s technology in general, had advanced.

A hum came with confirmation of Ren’s words of being put into binders, and having a chat with this ‘Supreme Leader Snoke’. Ren’s master. Commander of the Commander of the Knights of Ren, and head over this entire First Order business, which was a new Empire. Or wanted to be, anyways.

She wondered if Snoke was much like the Emperor.

She wondered if he would be jealous.

“What would you suggest for meeting your master, Ren?” Myka asked curiously. Obviously, he’d survived this long without being killed. He probably had ideas to keep doing that.

Assuming he wanted her alive. He could be hoping that Snoke would kill her, and then he’d have everything on Korriban, sans what was in her mind.

~***~

No need to be nervous about the ship – but apparently Azra had reason to be nervous about Troopers. Poe noted the way she’d flipped her hood up.

Poe had no way to hide himself. The orange jumpsuit was a curse, but at least no one there seemed to be putting it together with Resistance. They weren’t the only ones who wore orange jumpsuits, even if they’d become famous for it.

He winced a little as she mentioned how long.

Not as long as he’d hoped for.

But…well, given what happened, he couldn’t say he was surprised, either. “At the time? Sounds like you’re on the run,” he wouldn’t outright ask, just imply, as he saw the cantina he wanted.

It looked fairly dive-y.

And no Stormtroopers seemed to be heavily involved in this area.

Odds of information being here was higher than in an area the Troopers were at.

What would you suggest? Kylo could give her the wrong advice, so Snoke would easily kill her, and he could come back to Korriban, just as she thought.

But he wouldn’t do that. He remained curious about this Darth Vesta.

“Remain quiet and answer all of his questions,” Kylo advised. “And do whatever he says.” It would be easier for her to get in his graces that way and to not anger him, if Kylo wouldn’t already be doing that by the action of bringing her there.

The ship flew away from the surface and out of the planet’s atmosphere. A press of a few buttons and the ship entered hyperspace, putting Korriban far behind them.

“Are you prepared to listen to someone else?” Kylo knew she had been living in that temple for some time, as her own master and controlling those who sought to learn. He was interested to see how she would do in this new environment, completely different from what she had been used to.

~~

Azra hummed; she would neither deny nor confirm if she was indeed on the run. That would mean Poe would be learning too much about her. “Or maybe I just really, really needed a ship to finish a job.”

She saw the cantina as well. With the lack of First Order presence in the immediate area, the cantina seemed promising for Poe to get any information he may need.

And she could keep an ear out for anything that seemed of interest to her.

Azra would lower her hood once they entered the warmth of the cantina. It seemed like most other cantinas, though maybe a bit less raucous than some she had seen. “So what exactly are you looking for in here?” she whispered to Poe.

Stay quiet, answer all questions. Sounded right. Myka wasn’t enthused for it. She much preferred her independence, and not listening to anyone. However, she had to work herself into this structure. See if it was worth it.

She’d killed one master – what was one more? Not that Snoke would ever be considered such a thing, no matter how much he could offer. An Apprentice only had one Master, the rest, were useful stepping stones.

So was she prepared? “Yes,” she answered, “for a greater understanding and a place in this galaxy, I am prepared to do what I need to do.” For however long she needed to. She didn’t think it could be more than a couple of years.

She was still young. She had time to spend on learning the ropes, growing her army.

~***~

‘Yeaaaah, you’re on the run.’ The way Azra hummed, and spoke of the alternative, was not convincing, at all. Poe sighed, but he wouldn’t speak any further on that matter. People had things to run from. He got it. He didn’t need that detail about her life just yet. They were just getting familiar, and that sounded like at least fourth or fifth date material.

Not that this was currently a date, but thinking of it that way made it easier to place what he ought to know and what he ought to let lie, for now.

“Well, first, I’m looking to see if they have anything that tastes better than jet juice,” Poe lifted his voice enough to carry to the bar, where the bartender looked up and scoffed.

“What doesn’t taste better than jet juice?”

“Ever had Port-In-A-Storm?”

The bartender winced, “No,” he said, “heard of it, but no,” the twi’lek motioned them forward to the counter, “So you care what I give you then, flyboy?”

“Yeah, a little, show me a list,” Poe said, and immediately a pad was placed on the counter, displaying a holographic list of what was available.

Kylo nodded. “Good.” She may have been telling a lie, whatever she could say to please him, or maybe she meant every word. That she would be willing to do what is needed, and cooperate with the First Order, to achieve her goal.

It was what he did, until one day, when he could take it all for himself.

The blur of stars filled the viewport. It would be a few hours more until they arrived back at the Finalizer, and now Kylo was...stuck with this woman he didn’t even know, with very little to say.

Oh how he wished they were already back.

“What was your training like?” His head turned her way. “What was your master like?”

~~

Thankfully, the subject was dropped, and Poe didn’t inquire any further into what it was Azra was running from, and she could only hope that he wouldn’t try and slip it into conversation in the near future. He probably will. He seems like the type. That is something to deal with when the time comes.

Azra leaned close to Poe to get a better look at the drinks available. “Get me a Bitter.” She paused, then motioned her head in Poe’s direction. “It’s on him.”

If she was being dragged along for his own mission, then he could at least pay for one drink.

The bartender nodded, committing the order, and the payer of the tab, to memory, before turning to Poe. “And for you?”

Azra almost dared him to order that Port-in-a-Storm. Almost.

Questions, questions, questions.

Endless questions.

Myka turned her head away from the viewport to look at him. At his mask. That was getting annoying, really. The dynamic had changed for the time being, and she supposed he had answered a few of her questions about Snoke and expectations without demand, “I can say you would not survive the training,” Myka said.

Too many questions.

Phantasm did not teach that way. She gave answers, when she felt like giving answers. Questions were discouraged. Myka had to seek out her understanding from observation, more often than not, or make sure she paid attention during the times that Phantasm did teach. They were often enough in the early years, but phased out after that. “She didn’t like questions. You learned what she wanted you to learn when she wanted you to learn it, or you learned that you needed to learn it.”

There were plenty of times she could have died.

That was all a part of becoming a Sith, though.

“I learned through observation, vigilance, and practice. I learned because I had no choice. You figure out how to stop yourself from falling into a spiked pit when you have no other option.” Phantasm wouldn’t save her. “You learn to commune with animals and control them, when they’re tearing you to pieces.” And you learned to heal those wounds to hide the shame of it just as quickly. “And then, you unlearn all the shit that was taught to keep you weak.”

Oh, there was a bitter undertone to that statement.

Her lightsabers used to be red.

Myka learned.

“Would you take off the helmet? I’m curious.”

~***~

Poe supposed he had that coming – paying for the drink. Well, at least he was certain he had the credits, even if he shouldn’t spend them frivolously. The Resistance always needed more funding. At least the bitter wasn’t too much, and he nodded, before ordering his own, “Andoan ale, please.”

He’d taken a liking to it, even if he had initially been resistant to it, knowing it was served on the Death Star and was somewhat popular among Imperials.

Apparently, they had some tastes.

“Coming right up,” it didn’t take too long before his ale, and the bitter, were presented, and Poe offered his credit chip. He wasn’t going to run a tab, he’d pay these off immediately. Once his chip was returned, he wrapped his knuckles on the counter and pushed off, “Come on, let’s find a place to sit.”

It was mostly empty.

But there were a few others in the area, and he wanted to sit closer to them to have a better chance of overhearing—or of being overheard. This worked both ways among rebels, after all. They had to know he was someone worth approaching, and he had to know they were part of a movement against the Order. So, he approached a booth that was empty, and gestured her in to sit. "Why do you like bitter of all things?"

And apparently, he was going to start by judging her alcohol tastes.

Kylo chuckled. “It seems our Masters have a few things in common.” They had a penchant for throwing their apprentices into spiked pits, forcing them to rely on the Force to stop their drop.

How many other similarities did Phantasm and Snoke share? The bitterness in her words did not escape Kylo’s notice, and, surprisingly, he didn’t press her more for information.

He could understand any resentment left behind.

Kylo took a pause at her request. For a moment, he said nothing, as if he didn’t hear her question, instead staring out the viewport at no spot in particular.

Then, as if it seemed that his unspoken answer was ‘no,’ Kylo lifted his hands to the latch of his helmet, pressed the button, and with a mechanic hiss, the helmet was released, and he lifted it off his head. The helmet thumped on the floor beside him as he dropped it, and Kylo turned back to Myka.

“Anything you expected?” It never was. Most anticipated some grotesque monster, or someone marred by many battle scars from years of war.

~~

In the short time they waited for the drinks, Azra took the opportunity to scan the room for anything, or anyone, of interest. Only a few other people, unassuming at first glance. Looks were always deceiving. The drinks were placed on the bar before them, and she grabbed hers, remaining beside Poe.

Azra slid into the booth, leaving enough room so that Poe wouldn’t have to sit directly next to her. With slight offense, she fired back, “Why do you like andoan ale?” The question, seemingly innocent, had been asked in such a way she felt insulted, but Azra knew she was being ridiculous.

She sighed. “It’s rather silly. My father likes bitter, and so when I was younger, I thought drinking it would make me be more like him. Now?” A shrug. “The taste grew on me, and I like them.” It was her go-to drink when she just wanted something simple to drink.

“What about you?” She nodded at the andoan ale. “Do you have a secret dark side you’re not telling me about?”

Myka did in fact start to think that he wasn’t going to remove his helmet. That she’d asked too much. Perhaps he needed it to live, although she hadn’t seen any life-systems on his armor. Things could have improved. She didn’t know anything about life-system suits, anyways.

Then, as she was about to wave it off, he lifted his hands, unlatched the helmet, and let it drop to the ground.

Myka couldn’t even hide her surprise to see that not only was he completely unmarred, but his hair! Stars, his hair was fantastic, even after being in the helmet for so long. ‘Do not touch his hair. Do. Not.’ Restraint was not her strong point. She curled her fingernails into her palms all the same to keep from touching the hair to make sure it was real.

“I was definitely not expecting you to be gorgeous, or older than me, so no. Nothing I expected,” Myka answered bluntly. “I’m pleased to be wrong for once, so I won’t hold it against you. Why do you wear that mask?” Why would he hide this? "And is your hair real, Ren?"

~***~

Poe lifted his brows as Azra seemed to take his silly little comment so personally. BB-8 beeped out his own comment on that, along the lines of ‘touchy’, as he rolled along with them to the booth. He’d advance beyond it, eventually, to catch drifts of conversation.

She didn’t hold onto that bitterness long, and explained it tied to her father. He lifted his drink with a smile, and a small cheers gesture, “Hey, hey, I just don’t understand the taste myself. Too bitter. I never let it grow on me,” he said, before he took a sip of his ale. “This? Took a lot of convincing to get me to try this. Always associated it with the Death Star, but Snap – my friend – convinced me, eventually.”

Shouldn’t judge a drink just by its locations or associations. That often had little to do with flavor, “I’ll give’em credit, the Imperials knew a good drink. Still take jet juice over it any day, but you can’t get that in an establishment like this,” he chuckled, “but the kind you’ll find among X-Wing pilots? That’s the best.”

Of course, all pilots had their own varieties of ‘jet juice’, from Imperial TIE fighters to X-Wing pilots, and probably even podracers.

It was some strange magic that bound them all, and plenty had recipes within their squadrons, passed down.

Naturally, Snap Wexley was the main source of theirs.

He wasn’t masking his volume. He noticed that one group seemed to have quieted to listen.

Kylo expected an array of reactions, or perhaps none at all, but the one reaction he didn’t expect was hers. Myka was...fascinated? She restrained herself from touching his hair, and as he saw her fingernails curl into her palm, she smirked.

No, never had he quite a reaction like that one, and the smirk soon dissolved into fluster.

“Yes, my hair is real,” he deigned to answer. His brows were scrunched as he tried to process her words. She’s an odd one, isn’t she?

“The helmet serves several purposes, more than to simply conceal my identity.” That was a good enough reason for him. It created just enough mystery and suspicion to have many fear him, before they saw the lightsaber or tasted his might with the Force. “It is also a symbol of the Knights of Ren. We all wear one, as it serves as a powerful intimidation tool.”

Not to her, apparently, but to most everyone they targeted.

~~

Azra sighed, leaning back into the booth, and gave a small smile as an unspoken offer of peace. It wasn’t something to get upset about, she knew this, but the familial connection had left the matter of the alcohol a soft spot for her.

“Maybe you should question why your friend Snap knows this,” she laughed. Andoan ale was popular in some areas of the First Order, a big reason tied to its Imperial past. Azra had it a few times in the past, but it was never a drink she would gravitate towards.

But jet juice? Not her poison. “Are you X-Wing pilots normally this arrogant?” She maintained her smile, indicating that she wasn’t being serious in her jab at the pilots. “Though, I guess you would need something strong enough to get you through all that daring stuff you pull.” Dangerous missions. Reckless flying. Typical flyboy stuff.

The quieting of chatter in a nearby group did not escape Azra’s notice either.

“Or is it that you celebrate victories with your jet juice?” Poe mentioned earlier that he never flies and drinks at the same time. Going off on a mission after downing some jet juice? That didn’t sound terribly sober. “Celebrate with alcohol and parties? Or with someone specific?”

Masks and intimidation. It did nothing for her, in regards to that, but then again she wasn’t the usual sort he would be intimidating and she knew that. “Yes, some people always have a thing for masks and scaring others,” she noted.

She still wasn’t sure about the hair.

And she wondered how much of his armor, right then, was fluffed up for intimidation, too. Was he really that broad, or was that intimidation tactics? Was he scrawny under there?

“Is this armor intimidation, too?” She had to know, “or are you actually this,” she gestured out, hands opening, “broad?” She brought one hand down to her lap.

The other made the attempt to reach up and touch his hair.

Live and learn, right?

~***~

“Snap’s more…adventurous with food than most of us,” Poe noted, chuckling to himself even as he said it. Snap would eat plenty of things Poe wouldn’t touch, but there was nothing wrong with a bit of ale. “And yeah – I think it comes with the territory of being a pilot,” Poe said

He didn’t meet any timid pilots on either side, really.

And the strong drink was likely due to the horrors they saw, sometimes. Endured. Never before, always after. “Alcohol and parties is pretty much par for the course,” he agreed. “Don’t want to be drinking before, but after…yeah.”

He knew they had a pretty epic one after the first Death Star, from all accounts.

“You’d know something about that, huh?” It was a mirialan man who called over to their table, getting up to walk over so they wouldn’t have to shout.

Kylo cocked one eyebrow, somewhat bemused with Myka’s question and gestures to mimic the shape of his broad chest. Could she imagine some scrawny form underneath the leather fabric of his clothes?

He may have been lanky during his adolescence, but certainly never scrawny.

His hand snapped up the moment she attempted to reach out to touch his hair. His grip wrapped tightly around her wrist. Not to bruise or hurt, but as a warning. Don’t touch me.

“I would advise against that.” He let go of her wrist. “And I only have enough armor on for protection, not for intimidation.” Though the color and style, paired with his size, did intimidate many when they also saw his helmet.

Everything had been chosen with purpose.

~~

Azra believed that all pilots were more susceptible to drinking or partying more. She saw it with the pilots in the First Order. They always tended to get a bit rowdy and baccherous after a successful battle.

Her mouth opened to say something else, but their conversation was interrupted by an eavesdropper, one of the people in the other booth they had wanted to get closer to.

“I would say he knows a thing or two about that, or else I wouldn’t have bothered to interview him.” Or else there wouldn’t be an interesting story to create.

A look crossed the mirialan’s face. “Do you mind if I sit here?” He gestured to the space in the booth opposite them.

“Oh no, go ahead,” Azra motioned for him to sit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back