• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

Skye chuckled. Of course Adlai didn’t have to do much in the mornings. That seemed to be the way with men, didn’t it? Not that she actually put much effort into her appearance. Why bother with her lifestyle? It wasn’t something the Jedi approved of either.

“Do politicians know no bounds?” she said with amusement. Though Skye knew the backstabbing nature of some senators, she knew not all were like that. Just maybe a good majority of them.

She didn’t see Adlai or the Organas being in that category.

Her body shifted to an angle facing Adlai when he joined her on the bench. “So what is this trip about?” Her fingers itched to reach out and fiddle with the fabric of Adlai’s clothes, but she resisted for now. “All I know is that we’re meeting the Organas on Alderaan.”

~~

Thrawn bit back a retort concerning Mygeeto. No, he didn’t expect Mygeeto to be as clever as the Chiss’ civilization, nor did he expect many others to be as well. Still, Mygeeto held its own charms and unique contributions distinctive of their planet and societies.

He shook his head. “No, I have not been to Tatooine before, nor can I recall ever visiting a desert planet.” As the Chiss normally lived in frigid environments, Thrawn didn’t imagine that he or any other Chiss would enjoy a scalding hot planet. His room was already colder than most on the Chimaera, for it was more comfortable for him.

“And what about yourself?” he asked. “Since you brought up Tatooine, I imagine that you have visited the planet, but what about other desert planets?”

At his question, Thrawn took the opportunity to further observe Eira and her subtle movements when she answered. He still had a mission, and he couldn’t allow a pretty face to continue distracting him.

~~

Cora chuckled a little. “No, I suppose this would be a bad time for sparring practice.” She did enjoy their sparring sessions though, almost as much as she did their dancing session.

Either one, which allowed for them to get close to one another.

“I’m glad I’m easier to work with than some others,” she said with a smile. Cora knew exactly where Eli was coming from though. Some she worked with were less than tolerable. Especially the older ones, who felt entitled to do or say what they wanted.

It was one complaint she had about the Empire. It favored those with connections far too easily. And Eli was the exact opposite.

Her hand gently squeezed Eli’s arm, but she didn’t pull away just yet. “But, I’m also glad we’ll get to work with one another.” Cora forced herself to pull her hand away. “Maybe the mission will be completed in no time with you here.”

“No, not really.”

Politicians ruled worlds – of course they knew no bounds. Too many forgot that they were indebted to their planets. And so many citizens forgot this, too.

Adlai sighed as Skye asked him about what this was all about. “That’s…all you really need to know, Skye.”

He didn’t want to lie to her, but she hadn’t exactly been cleared for much information, “It’s political business relating to the state of the galaxy,” obviously. Relating to the fact Emperor Palpatine was just that – Emperor Palpatine.

He had overstayed his position. He was ruining the galaxy. They needed to come together to destroy him, and Adlai had to further feel out these supposed allies, just as they had to feel him out. It was a shame that Eira couldn’t come. She actually had command over these things, of bringing people in, but she had to stay on Coruscant.

Because Thrawn’s meddling kept her there. “Bail and I tend to agree on much in the Senate, but we haven’t had a proper meeting to discuss how we could go about implementing things better. Little that we try to do passes, so it’s something of a…strategic political meeting.”

~***~

None of Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s questions seemed all that dangerous. There was nothing she needed to lie about, not even the matter of desert planets, “I have been to a few others. Usually, it’s for filming,” she elaborated a bit, a small gesture with one hand outwards, “Jakku is a popular location since so few reside there, and I can see why. There’s just a hutt – Niima – who is sometimes bothersome.”

Her brows knit together at that, “I still do not understand why hutts seem drawn to such locations,” there was Jabba on Tatooine, as well. Hutts didn’t come from a desert planet, and she couldn’t imagine any of them found it comfortable.

The Shah-tezh stayed out of hutt business, as much as possible.

It would be easy to ask him about why the Empire didn’t do much about the hutts, but she wasn’t Adlai. The hutts bothered her – they bothered many people – but she wouldn’t delve into such things. No, she simply stepped around it, “The Rebo Max band also tends to play at Tatooine, so I admit, I have braved the weather to go there and see them. Certainly even you have heard of them, Mitth’raw’nuruodo,” a light tease at his lack of musical understanding, a sly smile to underline the fact she didn’t truly mean it in any harmful way.

And wouldn’t, actually, be surprised if he was unfamiliar.

Their brand of music was likely not to his style.

~***~

Eli was thinking of similar individuals. Not necessarily older, but the entitled sorts who thought they could do whatever they wanted, and see results, because they deserved results. That wasn’t, at all, how things worked, ever. Not that they figured it out until it was too late. At least he knew Cora would assess each situation and not just act as if she were in charge, and understood everything, all at once.

He laughed a little at the thought of completing the mission quickly, “I don’t think Proserpina is going to make it that easy. You don’t hire a huge mercenary band to kidnap Queen Breha, and have no one find out about it, unless you’re good. We still don’t know what she wanted the Queen for, either.”

None of the mercenaries had been able to divulge that. Which was worrisome. “Breha herself was unfamiliar with the name, and any sephi she may have wronged.” Which was a bit of a surprise, but nonetheless, Eli hadn’t thought she was lying.

She had seemed genuinely surprised. Eli also knew of no dealings with Cartao that Breha or Bail had.

Skye should’ve expected the answer. She was still an outsider to them, and despite what he and Eira knew of her, there were some secrets that couldn’t be shared. She understood this, and yet remained disappointed.

But Adlai didn’t leave her with just that answer. He did elaborate some on the nature of the meeting, and the general goal of what he wanted from the meeting with Bail Organa.

Her fingers did reach for the edge of his cape, and they absentmindedly played with the fabric. “This sounds like quite the important meeting, then.” Skye immediately inwardly cringed at her own lame, obvious statement.

She couldn’t think of anything better to say in her lack of knowledge concerning politics, and she wouldn’t press further if he wasn’t willing to say anything more.

“Did you always wanted to get into politics?” Skye saw it as an innocent enough question, and one that could help her get to know more about Adlai, since he knew much more about her than, well, anyone really, aside from Eira.

~~

“I’m surprised that you would film movies in such dangerous locations,” Thrawn commented with a slight furrow of his brows. Jakku may have been more isolated than most others, the few settlements still held their problems, with or without the hutt.

“I do have my own theories as to why they are drawn to such locations,” Thrawn offered. “Desert planets often tend to be less populated, and as a result, less regulated and less resources devoted to the protection of the planet, as, oh let’s say, compared to the densely populated Core Worlds. It is easier to hide something on a desert planet like Tatooine or Jakku.”

But it was, after all, one theory. Maybe it was a coincidence that they preferred these desert planets. If Thrawn had learned anything over the years though, it was that there was no such thing as coincidences. There was a pattern for everything. A reason.

A reason why Eira kept distracting him with more questions.

“Oh Eira, you know my lack of musical knowledge by now.” Thrawn hardly could tell musical styles apart, much less remember names of different musicians or bands. “But this Rebo Max must be quite enjoyable for you to risk a trip to Tatooine.”

Which, again, didn’t quite make sense to Thrawn, unless Eira had another reason for visiting the planet.

~~

Cora shrugged. “Oh I know, I just like to give myself that little bit of pep talk to gain that bit of motivation.” They were dealing with someone who wanted to take out the Queen of Alderaan, on a planet known for its dangerous creatures. This would not be an easy mission, and Cora didn’t want to psych herself out so early.

Queen Breha’s lack of knowledge on any sephi or Proserpina was new information for her. Cora frowned slightly, mulling over that fact. “Well, we’ve already considered Proserpina to be an alias,” she started, her teeth lightly tugging on her bottom lip. “Could they be working with or for someone?”

They had to consider all the possibilities. The attempted kidnapping of a Queen would require someone who was well resourced and potentially very powerful.

Cora sighed. “I have a feeling we will need a drink after this is over.”

That it was important, was obvious. The depths of its importance went beyond what Adlai had said. He was taking a risk. A large risk. Still, his gaze drifted down to Skye and her hand as she played with his cape, an amused expression gracing his face as he wondered at the action.

He laughed, partially at that, and partially at her follow-up query about politics. “I was born into it, there wasn’t much thinking involved,” he indicated, “besides, that’s how you get the fancy capes – politics.”

He leaned back into the cushion, though, and looked at the ceiling. He knew that wasn’t the answer Skye was looking for. “I am one of the odd ones who will say yes. My family has taught me the importance of what we can do, as Senators, or simply as aides. We live by the idea of Noblesse Oblige,” he added. “That those with power, must use it to help, or they are not worthy of holding it.”

And so, he did.

His position, his power, his wealth, his resources – everything he was, he threw towards the cause, even if he was not so open about it as Saw, or other rebels.

He was involved, and he intended to see an end to the reign of the Emperor.

Now was the time that they needed to draw together. Now it was becoming obvious there were many of them, trying to do that same thing. “What else is there to the galaxy, if not to make it better? I never resented it. I looked at it with rose-colored glasses when I was young, thinking it would be easy, thinking everyone would want to do the right things…I’ve learned.” Unfortunately.

~***~

“I suppose I should not tell you where else we’ve filmed, then,” Eira chuckled, considering the other, plentiful dangerous locations they had gone to, where the danger wasn’t so much other people, but the creatures, or the environment.

His theory about the hutts and desert planets was sound, but Eira suspected there was a lot more to it than just that. She wouldn’t speak to it, just allowed a thoughtful hum to follow. She’d dealt with the hutts more personally as a Jedi Counsellor, and she knew any theorizing she did would end up touching on experiences that actress Eira didn’t have.

And Mitth’raw’nuruodo fell onto the more favorable topic. “Well, perhaps one day when they are having a concert there, you’ll join me. Then you can experience a desert planet for yourself, and the Max Rebo band,” Eira suggested, although it was mostly teasing. She wouldn’t drag Mitth’raw’nuruodo to a desert planet just for Max Rebo.

They’d have to make a day of it! Somehow. Tatooine didn’t offer much. Occasionally pod-racing, which was exciting to watch. Her thoughts jumped to that, “Perhaps on Boonta Eve. Tatooine is alight with parties then, and much to do, and there’s always pod-racing to watch,” she’d never driven a pod. Never planned to, but she recalled Anakin Skywalker’s stories of it, and his constant comparison of things to pod-racing.

It brought a smile to her face to recall his excitement over it all. “Have you ever seen a pod-race before? I know it’s not quite tied to what you do, but I knew a pilot who used to pod race – he always loved to compare the single-fighter Starfighters to them, and he made some interesting changes to his ships. They might prove inspirational to future projects.”

He was probably dead now.

~***~

Eli nodded. It was likely Proserpina was an alias, which was another reason they’d wondered if she knew any sephi that she might have upset. There was no one Breha could think of, which led to the obvious that, Cora grasped, “That’s what I think. It’s just a matter of following the trail all the way to the end.”

He didn’t think it could go too far. Perhaps Proserpina had been commissioned by someone else, who wanted the Queen, and that’s why she couldn’t kill Breha. Someone else wanted her alive. Proserpina may be motivated by credits alone.

That’d be good.

People could always be bought.

“Covering trails isn’t uncommon. Especially when it comes to things like this,” Eli added, to indicate he was already mentally prepared for the arduous task ahead, “Although, we’ll probably still need a drink. Odds are it goes back to hutts,” he sighed.

Hutts were a nightmare.

Skye huffed out an air of amusement. “The capes are a nice bonus,” she agreed, her fingers still fiddling with the edges. She knew what he was coming from, being born into the life.

Just as how, in a way, Skye was born into the Jedi life. That life was written out for her before she was born, and she had no say in the matter. And all these years later, she still held some resentment over that.

And, again, Adlai reminded Skye of the Jedi way. Of her ways with the Force. It had to be used for the greater good of the galaxy, or else one was not worthy of having such power. But, who was going to stop someone who fell to the darkside?

“We held similar thoughts,” Skye told him. “When I was younger, I was so eager to go out there and help the galaxy, and help others who also wanted the same thing.” She chuckled and shook her head. “I realized later on that the galaxy isn’t quite so black-or-white, and that those you looked up to end up being someone you resent the most.”

~~

Thrawn inwardly cringed at the idea of Eira anywhere more dangerous than Tatooine for mere filming. Didn’t they have the tech nowadays to recreate different environments and scenery without having to leave the planet? “Just as long as you haven’t actively sought out danger.”

But, why should he worry so much? She was a capable woman with an investigation on her. He didn’t need to worry.

Thrawn cleared his throat. “I may have to go ahead and prematurely reject that offer. Not for lack of interest in my accompanee,” he shot a glance down at the woman, “but rather to ask surely there will be somewhere closer to listen to them.”

Though he didn’t entirely reject the idea of a free day spent with her. She was pleasant company. Nothing more.

“Podrace?” he repeated. A dirty, dangerous sport enjoyed on the Outer Rim worlds that mostly aided the criminal underworld. So Thrawn was a bit surprised that Eira admitted to knowing someone who used to podrace. “No, I can’t say I have seen one before.”

Thrawn wouldn’t leave this subject so easily. “Have you seen many podraces before?” he inquired. “Is that where you met this pilot?”

~~

Cora frowned and crossed her arms over her chest. “But of course the question is, how long is this trail?” Somehow, if this case evolved beyond more than just this Proserpina person, then Cartao may not be the last place they’ll have to travel to.

Or just Eli and the two ensigns. Cora was sure she was along just because of her knowledge of the planet.

“Hutts?” Cora repeated, not suppressing her groan that followed. She heard all the nightmares and horror stories that surrounded the hutts. They have always been such a bane to the galaxy.

“If we do go for drinks following this, I’ll pay this time.” Her hands reached for the nearest cabinet, opening it and searching for any sort of nutri-bars. There was a small stash, so she grabbed one for herself and one for Eli, whom she immediately extended the bar towards. “It’s only fair since you paid last time.”

No, nothing was black and white. Even Adlai had to navigate the gray space. Once upon a time, he had been willing to think the government wanted what was best for him. Then the Clone Wars happened.

Was the Galactic Republic right?

Was Serenno right?

And then the Jedi Purge – was the Empire right?

Too many questions of ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ had blurred the lines. He held to some things hard, believed in some truths too much to let go, but it had been a struggle to decide what things, truly, were right.

Resent, though…he knew that. “I looked up to Count Dooku, when I was young,” he confessed. “I was proud of what he was doing, in leaving and exposing the Jedi, I was proud that he was trying to look out for the individual planets rights, trying to help us all be more independent and self-sufficient, and not at the mercy of the Core. I see now what it really was…I don’t resent him, but…I understand. There are others who do resent him, and what he’s done to our planet.”

~***~

Eira did not take offense at Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s rejection, but chuckled as he seemed to want to go anywhere else, “I hope they will play somewhere closer, someday,” she knew they tended towards Tatooine due to a debt that was owed, so she didn’t think they’d be anywhere else, anytime soon. Or else, nowhere out of Hutt space anytime soon.

Yet another reason to avoid dealing with hutts.

“I have seen a couple of pod-races. I went to one during the Boonta Eve celebrations on Tatooine, and another on Ando Prime,” she was curious how they differed on an ice planet, compared to a desert. Not to mention there had been three pod-races on Ando Prime interested in moving on from that sort of life. “But I met the pilot after he had given up his pod-racing days; I never saw him do it, though I imagine he was quite skilled just by how well he piloted.”

She didn’t want to elaborate further. To mention he was likely dead. It would hardly be a good way to encourage pod-racing innovations, but she also just…didn’t like to think of it. “I wanted to see them after he’d talked about them.” She hoped she would see him there. A fool’s hope. “It’s not truly to my tastes, but I had to go and find out.”

~***~

Eli didn’t think it could be too long. Mostly because most people wouldn’t put in that kind of effort to making it too long, and also because long trails tended to mean a less likely chance of success.

This didn’t succeed – but that was at the last part of the trail. It made it all the way to action, which was notable. It only failed because of the actions of those who were apart of the Chimaera – and apparently, one badass blonde.

“Yeah – something of this scale seems up their alley, though,” he said as she groaned, “I’m not writing it off yet,” that was too much to hope for, and he smiled as she offered to pay, “Okay, you can. Because you mentioned getting the drinks anyways,” he wouldn’t fight over this or a need to pay.

He didn’t mind having drinks bought for him. “Just don’t buy any cream liquor for the caf anytime soon. I might use it before the job’s done,” he joked. He wouldn’t, of course. Ortell and Tobias might, though.

In the past, Skye could see herself resenting someone like Adlai in supporting what Count Dooku did, back when she knew less about the complexity of their situation and what exactly the Jedi were doing in the Clone Wars.

Now, well, she still resented Count Dooku, but she wouldn’t fault Adlai for thinking differently. What mattered now was what he was doing to help the galaxy, who he was allied with in the grand scheme of things. “I admit, I am one of those who resent him and what he did to the Jedi, but today, I can also admit that I understand where you’re coming from.”

Her fingers let go of the cape to gently rest on his closest hand. “But nevertheless, what matters is which actions define us today, and what we’re doing for our galaxy and everyone in it.”

~~

He knew of Boonta Eve. A notorious one run by the Hutt Clan. Again, this was why he didn’t care for Tatooine, and served as a reminder of the untold lawlessness that was still rampant in the galaxy.

The was Eira talked about the pilot hinted that he was no longer in her life. Past tense. Dead? Merely faded out? Thrawn couldn’t tell, but it was another piece of her past. The past that still didn’t quite make sense to him, especially with her subtle display at the gallery.

Her poise and confidence befitting of a warrior.

“How long ago did you watch your first podrace?” he asked. “Do you still watch them often today?” Thrawn could hardly see Eira as the type to frequent those types of racetracks, but far less interesting people had managed to surprise him.

Besides, underestimating someone was a foolish mistake.

~~

“Well, if this turns out larger than we anticipated, then maybe we’ll just have to get used to working with one another,” Cora said with a smile. But what if she fucked something up? Or Eli realized he didn’t want to be around her, or thought her incompetent. The endless possibilities flew through her thoughts, and she shook them off.

No use in worrying about such trivial matters right then.

She laughed. “Oh, I’ll be sure not to. Not making any promises for later in the day though, depending on how today goes.” None of them needed to navigate the planet with alcohol in their system. Oh kriff, she could hardly imagine the Grand Admiral’s reaction to such foolhardy actions.

“Only normal caf for now. Speaking of which, do you think Tobias and Ortell will want some?” She recalled how they still seemed half-asleep in the cockpit, and they needed everyone to be on full alert soon.

Adlai wouldn’t fault Skye for resenting Dooku. Dooku was…a complex figure. To the Jedi. To the Sith. To Serenno. To the Republic.

He had been the face of the Clone Wars, but a mask for the Sith. There was much to loathe and to resent, but as a citizen of Serenno, Adlai still found that hard – because he still wanted to believe that Dooku wanted the best for Serenno. That he’d been misled, too.

Would he, truly, support Palpatine through all this?

Adlai didn’t think so. He’d never know. “I understand, and I don’t blame you for it,” he said, and as her hand folded over his, he naturally reached out to place one atop of hers, as well. “And I am glad you can see through my foolish mistakes to what I am trying to do now.”

Even if she didn’t know all of it.

“I have much to make up for, but I won’t let the amount that needs done get in my way.” He glanced up from their hands, to her.

Oh, if he wasn’t already attached.

Well, he wasn’t. But there were complications. He bit back a comment wanting to ask just how Jedi she was, again. He had a pretty good idea from their first meeting in the bar.

It didn’t quite stop his cheeks from being tinged pink with thoughts of leaning forward and just kissing her, in their sweet moment of acknowledged growth. He almost rolled his eyes at his own mental cheesiness, and averted his gaze with a slight chuckle, “You would have to come into my life when I’m publically dating someone, otherwise I’d ask you on a date and whisk you off some place after Alderaan.” The relationship was a lie, but it hindered what he could and couldn't do in public.

~***~

“Oh stars,” Eira thought back, pausing a moment as she tried to place it, referencing historical events, arms crossing, “Let’s see, it was shortly after the first Empire Day, so that’s nearly ten years ago? Somewhere around there,” she offered, and started walking again, “I went to see the one at Ando Prime perhaps two years ago, when I heard they held them there. I was curious if they were much different, given the different planets.”

Ice and Sand.

It turned out they weren’t that much different. “I suppose I got my hopes up for nothing. Given there is no contact with the actual ground, pod-racing is much the same on Ando Prime as it is on Tatooine. I have not been to see one since then, though occasionally I’ll pause to observe if I catch one on Holos.”

As she said, it wasn’t much of an interest of hers.

It just made her think of the Jedi from Tatooine, long gone, and his commentary. She’d allow the moment of nostalgia and hope to move through, and pass.

~***~

Eli took the nutri-bar that had been offered, almost belatedly, and started to unwrap it as Cora indicated she wouldn’t spike any caf. At least, not immediately. He chuckled, but shook his head a bit.

He wouldn’t be drinking until the mission was over.

He knew there wouldn’t be any real downtime until then, no matter how they fooled themselves. “Maybe,” if it got larger, others might have to get involved.

He bit into his bar, and glanced at the caf machine, before sighing, finishing the bit he had in his mouth, and then grabbing two more cups, “They might. If they don’t, I can always drink another cup.” But it would be good to offer. He didn’t know if they’d want them sweetened or not.

He’d err on the side of caution and sweeten them a little.

The warmth from both of his hands spread up her arm. “We all make foolish mistakes, though some more than others, but none of that matters as long as we’re actively trying to learn from them.” Kriff, she knew that was a hard lesson for her over the years.

Even today, Skye still tried to learn from old mistakes, and some not so old.

Oh, he’s so cute when his cheeks turn pink like that. She could imagine the thoughts running through Adlai’s mind that led him to such physical reactions. It took all of her willpower to not close the distance between the two, but she asked herself, why was restraint needed? It was clear they both desired one another, and they were alone on his ship.

Skye sighed, “Of course you would be the off-limits charming noble.” But only off-limits in public. That could be easy enough to avoid. “You can still ask me on that date, you know. Romantic evenings can be had inside one’s own home.” Just don’t ask me to help cook, unless you want everything burnt.

“But in the meantime,” she started, leaning forward slightly, “we’re alone on this ship and getting to know one another. All we need is a kiss, and we can call this our first date.”

~~

So, podracing had been an interest of hers for quite some time. Thrawn had wanted to ask how long she had been filming those holofilms, and if that’s why she was on Tatooine for the podrace. Her curiosity for watching them on two different surfaces of vastly different friction made sense, though someone who was quite into the sport should’ve known that the ships hovered.

Maybe it had been a slip of her mind at the time, or she told herself that reason to justify seeing one in person again.

Thrawn filed the information in the back of his mind.

“You watch them nowadays because they remind you of your pilot friend, am I right?” He caught the slight change in her demeanor, but it had been nothing more than a flicker.

One he easily observed.

His eyes moved to study the path ahead of them. “As someone who visits the Imperial Gardens often, during which season would you recommend for someone to visit the most?”

~~

Once Eli took his bar, Cora unwrapped her own and bit into it. Not the most pleasant taste, but it would satisfy her for some time.

“And I could drink the other,” she offered, aiding Eli in preparing the cafs. Not that he needed help, but she wanted to feel more useful, so she added in a dash of cream to each one. Really, who drinks caf without any cream or sugar?

“How well do you think Tobias and Ortell will do on this mission?” She knew they were assigned to Eli by Grand Admiral Thrawn, but she had wanted Eli’s opinion on the matter. All she knew of them was that Ortell had a knack for baking cookies. Cora knew nothing about Tobias.

They seemed to be recent graduates of the Academy, still fresh-faced and eager to please their superior officers. Cora would almost call it adorable.

‘At least I’m charming.’ Adlai almost joked, but refrained from echoing her words. She wasn’t wrong, of course. They could have plenty of dates in private, though Adlai couldn’t stop the consideration that it was somehow wrong.

He knew it wasn’t wrong, only that the public would view it as such if they ever got wind of it. He’d be hiding an affair.

But so long as the public never got wind of it, there was no harm. He knew it wouldn’t bother Eira; their relationship was only friends, and he knew their public one would come to an end, in time. He would be willing to maintain it for years, but eventually, no marriage, and no children, would raise too many questions.

And he wanted things like that.

So he took Skye’s own words as permission, and lifted one of his hands from hers to cup her cheek, before he leaned forward to press his lips to hers, hand curving gently around her cheek as he let his eyes close.

~***~

Eira certainly didn’t know why pod-racing remained such a fascinating thing for Mitth’raw’nuruodo to question her about. Perhaps he would consider looking into it more, or perhaps it was just such a strange interest for her to have that it stood out. “Since the first one,” Eira answered, “I went to a race just to see why he seemed to like them so much.”

She had gone through a few different places, a few different hobbies, chasing memories, and things other Jedi had spoken of, always with that foolish hope she might find one, doing something that made them happy, almost as if nothing had changed.

Except, of course it had.

“As for the gardens, as much as I love them in spring, they’re far more colorful in fall,” and Eira enjoyed that, “The scent is also more…mono-aromatic in fall. Spring is pleasant, but sometimes they think more of color and not scent, and it blends in a way that’s just overwhelming, but fall is pleasant to all the senses.” No overwhelming scent, hues that blended together rather than stood out – but still plentiful. “They’ve gotten better about it the past couple of years, but I still prefer fall.”

~***~

Eli didn’t even hesitate, “I think they’ll do good.”

He had faith in both Tobias and Ortell. “They were both quick to respond to the mission at the gallery,” he wasn’t sure if she had noticed them there, or recognized them between now and then. He wouldn’t fault her if their faces weren’t remembered.

There were a lot of people on the Chimaera.

“I know they’ll make some errors,” he was prepared for that, too, “given how new they are, but I think they’re both quick on their feet, and I think they’ll adapt well,” and those were traits that were important to Eli.

Adaptability and quick-thinking. A willingness towards either, rather than being caught up in what they learned at the Academy, or not being able to implement and adapt what they learned to specific situations.

The caf was finished soon enough, and he took one cup, given he still had his own to balance along with the bar – which was now resting on top of his cup – to take up to Ortell and Tobias.

Skye’s own eyes closed with his, and the moment she felt his lips pressed against, she leaned in further. One hand lifted to rest on the nape of his neck as she was pulled further into the kiss.

She knew her Master would have disapproved greatly of her actions. She knew the rest of the Jedis would also disapprove.

Skye had long ignored their echoing words in her mind. But somewhere, deep in her thoughts, she knew she needed to speak to Eira about this, even if they weren’t in a relationship, and even if the two women had already talked about Adlai. She knew she needed to speak more with her.

Time passed, how much she did not know, and eventually Skye slowly pulled away from the kiss. Her lips still tingled from the warmth, and her fingers toyed with the ends of his hair. “You have full permission to do that again anytime you wish,” were the only words she could think to blurt out in the moment.

~~

Thrawn said nothing more on the subject concerning the podraces, but he did file away the information for later, especially regarding a pilot friend who engaged in them. That was enough to warrant some slight suspicion of those Eira concerned herself with.

He tilted his head, listening to Eira’s words and descriptions about the fall season. “That sounds...pleasant,” he admitted. “There is little doubt that I may be around long enough to see the Gardens transform for Spring, I will have to make a special visit to see them transform into Fall.”

Various paintings he studied detailed the seasons of their respective planets often enough, but never had he paid attention to such frivolities when on a planet himself, but often enough, when he was planetside, it was some city-world like Coruscant, or somewhere that had very little variation in its weather, or even somewhere he just didn’t much time on, so the thoughts of their climate never crossed his mind.

“And what colors are typical of fall? Oh yes, reds and oranges, isn’t it?” he questioned. “Do you prefer those colors?”

~~

Eli seemed to have placed much trust in the young ensigns, and so Cora wouldn’t doubt their capabilities in the field. Once he had mentioned their involvement in the gallery, she struggled to place their faces in with the scene, but with all the chaos unfolding, she wasn’t surprised she couldn’t.

Cora nodded with his observations. “As long as they’re not fatal errors, then they should do well.” Of course, any of them could easily make a fatal error with just a minor slip, but that’s why there was a small group of them. To make sure everyone came out alive and well.

She glanced down at the bar Eli was attempting to balance on top of his cup, and Cora grabbed it for him, placing it in the same palm she had her own bar, before taking the remaining cup for the ensigns. “I got it.”

Casting a quick glance to Eli, Cora made her way back out into the main area, where she could see that the two ensigns were actually talking and seeming awake. “We brought coffee if you two need some,” she announced.

Tobias looked over his shoulder and smiled at the sight of the coffee cups. “Kriff yes, you are an angel,” he said, standing up and meeting Cora halfway to take the cup from her.

“Since you’re up, bring me a cup as well!” Ortell called from the pilot’s chair.

It had been too long since Adlai had a real kiss. Though there was everything physical about those with Eira, there was still the lack of desire between the two of them. The mental and emotional response wasn’t there. Even a certain physical response wasn’t there, though to any who looked, it’d be nearly impossible to see.

He’d become more of an actor with her.

He was almost concerned he’d lost his talent for real kisses, as he allowed the moment of this kiss to stretch on, until Skye broke away and told him he had permission to do that again. He was half-tempted to follow that permission up immediately, but he refrained, letting the hand on her cheek drop to her shoulder.

“I’ll certainly wish to more than I do,” he answered, “I suspect we may want to actually talk about what we want, first. In more long-term, or short-term, considerations.” No, they didn’t know each other all that well, but if all Skye wanted was a quick fuck, he’d prefer to know that before he started investing time in what would hopefully be much more than that.

His own goals were more focused on relationships over one-night, or multi-night, stands…but he’d had a significant enough lack that a friends with benefits arrangement didn’t seem terrible.

~***~

Eira wondered if Mitth’raw’nuruodo would truly make time for Fall. She might have to remnd him when that season came to pass, “I’ll be certain to let you know when it is fall, here in the gardens,” she said. Whether or not he’d want to go along with her was another matter, but he should at least get the enjoyment of them.

“On most planets, it is red and orange,” she agreed, “or hues akin to those,” different planets occasionally varied in that, but for the most part, such things were associated with fall, “There’s some that go white or silvery, like human hair when we age,” she chuckled. Those had a different sort of beauty to them, “but as for oranges and reds, I do like those colors.”

She had a bit of a fight with liking them in her youth, when her lightsaber showed such a hue. She always associated it with knights, with temple guards – with violence. The hue was so close to Sith red, after all, but she’d come to appreciate it.

She had wanted a blue lightsaber, though. The Force didn’t really care what she wanted. “I prefer cooler colors in general,” blues and purples, “but I have found a love for orange, and I can’t deny how pretty it is when it blends into the other colors during fall.”

She didn’t really hate any color, though. Red had been the closest she’d ever come to hating a color, but her opinion had changed with understanding; she rather liked it, now. “Are those hues you prefer, Mitth’raw’nuruodo – those of a typical fall?”

~***~

“He—” Eli quickly cut himself off as he realized Cora was trying to help by taking his bar, and he relaxed a bit, but more easily balanced the other cup as he walked back towards the cockpit where Ortell and Tobias were awake enough to be conversing.

Unless they were sleeptalking.

It didn’t seem like it – Tobias responded to the caf and came to get his cup, so Eli walked on ahead to offer one to Ortell, “Here you are,” he wouldn’t make him get up to get it, or pass it off to Tobias to fetch.

He’d return to Cora to get his bar, wanting to at least finish that before they arrived. “Where do you two come from, anyways?” Eli asked, wanting to gauge how much experience either of them may have with a planet like Cartao.

Skye had expected for Adlai to continue the kiss, so when he began to speak, she was caught a little off guard.

A flash of insecurity crossed her face, but Skye smoothed it over with a neutral expression. For too long had she thought about the same thing, about what she wanted for herself one day, for her own future. Was she destined for a life alone, the Jedi way? Or could she fight against the very teachings she was brought up with?

Her mind certainly fought against many of the strict Jedi rules during her isolation, almost to the point where she felt as if she was one step away from being a traitor. Skye knew it was ridiculous, as she had long held her complaints over certain customs in the Jedi's life. Her Master certainly knew of a few of her opinions.

And of course there was her normal fear of giving Adlai one answer, and he wanted something else.

“Well, what do you want, long-term or short-term?” she asked, her hand remaining on the nape of his neck.

~~

“I have no doubt that you will,” Thrawn said. That is, if they are still in communications nearly a year from now. His investigation into her would surely be over, and his assignment to stay near Coruscant would have long passed. But Eira certainly held little doubt.

Thrawn glanced down at Eira, noting how she described the various hues of Fall seasons. He noted how her words, how she spoke of them, made him imagine that they almost held a different meaning to Eira, as if she was telling herself a secret story. Or was Eira really just that passionate about the colors?

Eira’s question silenced him a moment. Never had Thrawn actually thought about which hues he prefers in art, for he always found something to admire. But, he paused to think about which pieces he physically owned, and which ones always held his attention more. “I would say I am more inclined to the cooler tones myself,” he shared.

Maybe it was because they tended to remind him more of home.

“With my attention drawing towards the deeper shades of purple,” he added.

~~

Ortell was surprised to see Eli handing him a cup of caf instead of Tobias, but he offered his gratitude, “Thank you, Commander.” He took the cup from Eli’s outstretched hand and took the first sip, sighing in relief at the familiar taste.

Cora smiled at Eli as he returned for his bar. She held out her hand, offering it back. “See? I didn’t eat it,” she teased.

Tobias sat back in his chair, as he answered the question. “I’m from Corulag, and he’s from Coruscant.” He jabbed his thumb in Ortell’s direction.

“But we met at the Royal Imperial Academy,” Ortell added.

Adlai could see that flash of insecurity. The hesitation. The doubt. It didn’t surprise him that she didn’t answer, but turned it on him. It was a good thing he remained fairly confident in his own answer, or he might have stammered or accused her of avoiding the subject.

The hand at her cheek moved back, to fall over the hand at the nape of his neck, and move it between them, fingers interlacing with hers. “I won’t lie. If you wanted something short-term, or more on the basis of friends-with-benefit, I would not refuse you, but my hope would remain that it would grow into something long-term.”

Which would mean addressing this with Eira, and working out a contingency plan where they could split amicably in the public eye, so he could date Skye. No matter what, some level of scandal would surround it due to the status of her as his guard.

“It’s a gamble to suggest something longterm already, and I know that, but I’ve never been a fan of going in with plans to break it off soon, or just…getting by, as it were,” he said, “but I think there could be some potential, although I admit we haven’t known each other longer, and I may be entirely wrong. That’s my heartache to deal with, and a gamble I’m willing to take.”

He had become a quick study of people, but that didn’t mean he knew what answer she would give, or how she would respond to it. No, he didn’t know her nearly that well, but he didn’t want to lie, or be vague.

He knew quite well what he wanted.

He knew quite well he might also torture himself with something short-term – warned it was short-term – on the stupid hope it might be more, and that need for something truly physical.

~***~

Eira paused along with Mitth’raw’nuruodo as he considered colors, eventually settling on cooler tones, just as well. In particular, it seemed he preferred those in the purple family, and Eira nodded, “Those are pretty,” she allowed, and mentally committed it to memory to dig through her wardrobe later and find what things in purple she had.

“Is it purely the aesthetic of it, or is there more to it?” Eira asked. “Something purple you treasured, a memory…?”

She’d often found that colors were associated with something, even outside of the Jedi, who had arbitrary meanings attached to the lightsabers, always trying to guess why one was a certain color. After all, all of the Temple guards had yellow sabers, and Mace of the purple saber stood out – created an entire style.

But for others, it was just simply pleasing, not tied to anything at all.

~***~

Eli bit into his bar again as Ortell and Tobias began to answer him. Corulag and Coruscant. Not surprising in any case. It wasn’t going to give them any experience with this kind of planet, though. Well, maybe.

“Did you ever get out into the forested areas of Corulag, Tobias?” Eli asked.

He doubted it, but it was worth inquiring about, to assess his skills for this. He supposed it was also possible that either of them participating in pathfinding – they ended up at the Royal Academy, after all, “Or did either of you do much pathfinding?” Eli didn’t.

Eli wasn’t some lucky, elite noble who could send their kid off with a guide on a supposedly survivalist adventure. Well-protected, survivalist, adventure.

If Tarkin’s words were anything to go by – he knew that Tarkin seemed to find himself at odds with companies that taught pathfinding, protecting some area of Eriadu from them. Eli didn’t know much about all that. Things concerning Tarkin usually made news, so Eli heard of it, but didn't explore it much.

Skye could only stare down at her fingers laced with his as Adlai spoke his answer. She had braced for an answer she wouldn’t care for, that maybe he wasn’t the type of guy to do anything long-term or beyond physical.

But he gave her an answer she rather liked.

Smiling, Skye looked back up into Adlai’s eyes. “For too long I have been alone, with no place I could call home, and I don’t want that to be my life anymore.” She had already made it known that she wanted to try and stay in one place instead of running, but she knew she wanted more than that.

“So how about we make that gamble together?” Her hand gently squeezed his. “Because I know I want something more long-term as well.”

~~

Thrawn hummed in agreement. Yes, he supposed those were pretty colors, and while he didn’t need Eira’s validation for his own opinion, it had felt nice. Yes, that was the word. Nice.

He hesitated a moment, though, when she wondered further about why he liked the colors. “On first thought, I would simply say yes, it is purely the aesthetic of the color and its vibrancy, but I suppose the reason does go deeper than that, as it reminds me of home.”

Of course an icy planet like Csilla would prefer to stick to those cooler tones when creating their cities and clothing.

“Purple tends to decorate our cities, whether through the clothes we were, or through architectural features of our buildings. And what about you? You mentioned your affinity for these colors as well.”

~~

Tobias shrugged. “I never quite did any hardcore pathfinding, but my siblings and I would sometimes roam around the forested areas, just seeing what we could find.”

While they were younger, they used to bring back to their parents all sorts of rocks they thought were interesting, with an occasional insect, much to their mother’s disgust and horror.

“I never did anything like that,” Ortell admitted. “As you may have been able to tell, I prefer flying.”

“I’ve done some pathfinding,” Cora thought to add. “Before I joined the Academy, I wanted to see if my knowledge of the stars could help guide me. They did, but not before I realized there were other skills I needed to quickly learn,” she finished with a slight chuckle.

Adlai observed as the tension left Skye with each word he spoke. It seemed they were of a similar mind. They had both been too long without someone, something, that felt like home. Something they could return to. Someone they could return to.

Of course, he had a home. He had friends, and a system of support, but he longed for more, something Eira knew well. They’d discussed bringing things to an end before, so he could have an opportunity to pursue those goals. He would have held on a while longer, for her sake – for the sake of their rebellion – but now he found someone who knew the situation.

Who still wanted to run the risks involved.

“I like our odds,” he said with a quirk of his lips into a slyer smile as she agreed to the gamble.

More would need to be spoken of. More would need to be considered – and he wondered how much her old Jedi influences, would come into play. How much it might bother her, to pursue a relationship. He knew those were considerations they’d have to address, alongside the matter of Eira, but for the moment – this was good.

They agreed to run the risk, and with his free hand he reached out to comb back through her hair, while leaning forward to kiss her yet again, to seal the agreement with more firmness than before.

~***~

Eira tried to imagine Mitth’raw’nuruodo in purple, or with accents of it. Her mind added trim to his usual white attire, and considered it a nice touch. It would suit him. There were also connotations of purple with royalty, and she wondered if his home had similar opinions of it, given it was used with decorations.

Was it religious?

Did it have meanings there?

It was natural that Mitth’raw’nuruodo would turn the question back on her. ‘Because it means Peace to me. Because many people I knew who were influential to me, had skin like yours. Because….’

Eira’s gaze drifted a moment, brow furrowing as she tried to settle on a sensible answer that she could tell him. “It isn’t Mygeeto,” she said, “Mygeeto doesn’t tend to utilize the cool hues to any greater degree, that I’ve noticed,” alas, that would have been an easy escape, “The cool hues are just more…peaceful. It’s blue I favor most,” damn him for being blue, but it didn’t stop the small smile touching her face.

It wasn’t Mitth’raw’nuruodo she thought of, but her old Master. “I’ve had…a strange number of good experiences with the color blue. People who were wearing blue,” she wouldn’t dare to say people who were blue, although that was likely implicit, “gifts that were blue. I met Adlai in a blue dress – and you,” something she thought an interesting coincidence, even then, “places that were decorated in blue, like the Blue Moon on Coruscant,” where she’d met Skye, not on the surface, but just below it, “and one of my favorites, the Blue Heaven, on Spira.”

Good things were blue.

~***~

Tobias had some experience. Nothing official, but it was still better than not. Ortell had nothing, but he was good at flying. Eli would keep careful note of this, in consideration with their plans.

Cora wasn’t much of a surprise, given the family she was from, and that she’d gone into the survey corps. “I don’t suppose you know the star systems above Cartao well?” Eli asked Cora, although he hoped such knowledge wasn’t needed, it could be useful if they ended up getting a bit disoriented in one of the more wild areas of Cartao.

He wasn’t so good at astronomy. He had other talents, and he could probably figure out a design in the sky to follow if he needed to, but he didn’t actually know the star systems above Cartao.

He barely knew a few constellations above his own home.

There was that unspoken agreement that more needed to be discussed later. More questions answered, and more sensitive topics discussed in absolute privacy.

For now, those thoughts flew from Skye’s mind when she felt his fingers in her hair, and his lips pressed into hers again. The fingers of her free hand reached up to lightly trace over his jaw and side of his neck, eventually settling there.

Skye firmly pressed into the kiss, any concerns she may have had, gone for the time being. Wouldn’t it have been nice, if they could just remain there without worrying about what else they had to do that day?

She didn’t know how much time had passed. Maybe a few seconds, maybe a few minutes. But eventually, their lips slowly parted, and she breathed out, nearly a whine, “Does Alderaan need you today?”

~~

Thrawn could agree with Eira, that the cool hues were indeed more peaceful. Her comment on the color blue being her favorite brought a slight smile to his face, and it seemed that the connotation of her comment did not escape her either.

“Perhaps you were simply destined for the color blue,” he mused. He would have laughed at the silliness of it all, but it had served as an intriguing coincidence to Thrawn.

But very rarely, were things coincidences.

“And only time will tell what else the color blue will bring you.” He had to wonder what he would bring to Eira, and if it would continue her good streak with this color. “Although I can’t help but to wonder,” he continued, “how far this endearment of the color blue extends?” His tone shifted to a slight teasing one, as the smile remained on his face.

~~

Cora shrugged, taking a bite out of her bar. “I know them quite well,” she answered once her mouth was devoid of food. Looking at the stars in her youth had been the reason her interests evolved into the Survey Corps. Now she used her interest in astronomy to aid in further exploration research as she could.

“What about you?” she asked. “Have you done any sort of pathfinding or any related activity?” She would admit, she knew very little about Wild Space. Were the planets nearly the same as the ones she were familiar with?

I should ask Eli more about his homeworld.

In the moment, she couldn’t even quite remember the name of his planet, which she felt some shame over. Dammit, Cora wanted to know more about Eli.

The moment was tender enough, without being terribly soft. The affirmation of the pressure, of the desire inherent in the way her hand pressed into his neck and encouraged him, was terribly persuasive, but the moment had to close sooner than later, and Adlai did draw away before deepening the kiss any further, seconds slipping by.

Skye was far from happy with it, and he laughed, just a little, at that whine, “Yes, they do,” and he disentangled his fingers from her short hair, and drew himself away before it could go any further, either into a more passionate make-out, or beyond.

‘Stars, one would think I was a teenager again.’ Which was absolutely foolish that so many adults forgot how nice it was to just linger in kisses and touches. “And we have to be presentable for Alderaan.”

Although that was easily done, even if it went further, they also had to be, well, presenting as nothing more than bodyguard and client. “But it will pass,” and they’d be on their way back with no pressing appointments, to consider things further.

Actions, or conversations.

~***~

Eira did laugh at the thought of being made for blue. She knew otherwise. Her lightsaber showed otherwise, that beautiful, fiery hue, telling the story of what she was destined for far better than her personal preferences.

How rarely preferences and destiny fell in line. Otherwise Mitth’raw’nuruodo wouldn’t be with the Empire right now, wouldn’t be supporting the Sith, and terrible atrocities across the galaxy. She could hope, of course, that time would change that…but she knew, it might not.

And she knew where she had to stand.

But this was fun, in the moment. Amusing, as Mitth’raw’nuruodo actually seemed to tease her. She mocked up her expression into one of indignant surprise, even as the flush tainted her cheeks. “Apparently, it’s going to bring me mockery!” Not that she could hold on to being indignant about that, as she soon fell into laughter again, evading the more direct query of how far her endearment with the color went. “Maybe it’s not all good after all.” Her own tease, of course, with a false-pout.

~***~

Eli smiled, some relief showing as Cora noted she was familiar with the stars above Cartao. Of course, whether or not that would translate over to actually being useful, they’d find out. Eli was still hoping it wouldn’t be necessary, but if it was – they had it. It was something, at least.

Eli shrugged, “Not pathfinding, but with the survey corps, we were often on planets that weren’t civilized, and it was our job to go through rough terrain to find evidence of sentient lifeforms.” Which was what led them to Thrawn, “So I’ve gotten familiar with navigating such terrain, and setting up camps, though usually with supplies.”

Not finding supplies, or hoping to locate something edible. There were people who looked for resources that were a part of the team, but that hadn’t been Eli’s job. “Ortell, you’ll probably be coming along with us, but I may request you to stay with the ship more often than not, too. If we need a pick-up, we’ll need you on the ship. I’ll be keeping a comm that can send our location to you at all times.”

Then, he added, “That’s if we have to go into the more wild areas. I’m hoping we won’t need to, but if it happens, I want someone with our ship, and it sounds like you’ll be best for that job.”

Skye immediately missed the warmth of Adlai right next to her, but he was right. They had a task to complete, whatever it was Adlai was going to discuss with the Organas.

“I know.” Rising to her feet, Skye sighed and smoothed out her hair the best she could with only her fingers. “It’ll be over before we know it.” Well, she hoped for that, but it was politics after all.

“Speaking of which,” she started as she strolled to the cockpit, “we shouldn’t be too far from Alderaan. Maybe another ten minutes?” Another few minutes for them to discuss whatever it was they needed to. Or to ask any questions they wanted to while surrounded by nothing other than the void of space.

~~

Thrawn allowed himself to take in Eira’s laughter far longer than he should have. Which should have been none at all. Stars, he’s going to need to find a way to lie to Governor Tarkin, or come up with a great excuse for his and Eira’s seemingly close friendship. And why he couldn’t stop thinking about her.

The flush on her cheeks did not escape Thrawn’s notice, even as Eira feigned her contempt. “Oh, not much mockery. Only from me.” His crimson eyes flickered to her pouting lips, but just as quickly as he had done so, Thrawn realized what he was doing and shifted his gaze back to her face.

“If blue had been nothing but good fortune for you up until now, then I don’t see why it won’t continue to do so.” He paused their light stroll in front of a bench that overlooked a pond, which had various bushes placed around it with various winter berries contrasting against the faux white snow.

He gestured one hand out to offer her a seat first. “Maybe a small break is in order.”

~~

From the information everyone gave, they may be able to do well if something went wrong. Well, it would depend on what exactly went wrong, but they should survive in the jungle for a few days at least, granted if they weren’t ambushed by some creature. Or by enemies. Or, just anything on that planet in general.

Ortell nodded at the command. “That I can do.”

If only three of them were lost in the jungle with Ortell on standby, then they may have a simple enough rescue.

Cora finished up her bar and discarded the trash in a nearby bin. “Speaking of which,” Ortell continued, “we should be exiting lightspeed in just a few minutes.”

It was probably not going to be over before they knew it, but Adlai intended to be returning home that night, rather than staying over at the Organas, or wiling away the hours until morning. He would see how well that plan actually worked, soon enough.

He followed Skye back to the cockpit, and took his seat in the co-pilot’s chair as she checked in on their situation with the lightspeed.

Ten minutes.

Good.

Adlai wouldn’t move to renew contact, his mind shifting back to the mission. Well, a bit. It was also stuck on Skye being a Jedi, but he tried to turn that over into something he could inquire about. “What do you know of Bail Organa?” He knew that Bail had been active in the Clone Wars, and a strong proponent of the Jedi.

He didn’t know much else, except that Skye hadn’t considered it a risk to be here, so she couldn’t have known him personally. Eira also hadn’t thought it would be a risk for herself, which was another good thing.

~***~

Eira would have easily continued walking along through the gardens. She usually didn’t pause, unless it was just herself. Pausing tended to make her a bit too melancholy, too meditative, but she didn’t think she was at much risk for that right then with the playful banter that had picked up between them.

Despite the earlier scandal, it seemed Mitth’raw’nuruodo was able to overcome it. The distance she had felt before seemed mitigated, now.

She wouldn’t tease him on being tired already, quite certain he wasn’t actually tired, “Thank you,” was all she said to the matter of a break, and she did take a seat near one end of the bench. Much as she may have liked to sit closer to the center, she hadn’t entirely forgotten her own situation.

Nor his.

“I did want to ask a bit more about the purple,” Eira said, even if colors was clearly the worst topic to linger on, “There are many planets here that associate it with royalty, nobility, and things of that nature – is it much the same back on your planet?” If it was tied into something he recalled, and used on attire, it seemed like it signified something more, and she remained curious about that.

~***~

Eli was relieved to hear they would be to Cartao soon, and he slunk into a seat behind Ortell’s to sip at his caf. He might not finish it before they reached the planet, but he’d at least try to.

He managed it, somehow, and the nutrition bar. He took the cup back to the kitchenette as they hit the atmosphere of the planet, and was back to the front to look out the viewport, and watch as they came within sight of the Imperial Facility.

“Hail them,” Eli suggested, thinking it might be wise to do that first and state their intention so they could get an official landing place at the facility. He thought that Thrawn may have given them a head’s up, but it was entirely possible he hadn’t.

A way to keep their presence as secretive as possible, to not tip off Proserpina.

At the mention of Bail Organa’s name, a soft smile appeared on Skye’s face. She never knew him terribly well, but their paths had crossed a few times before. He had always helped the Jedi back then, and she had heard rumors of his valiance during the Jedi Purge.

It hadn’t shocked her one bit.

“He was a great supporter, and sympathizer,” she answered. “Probably one of the few political figures I could stand.” Skye leaned back in her chair and shifted so she could easily look at Adlai. “How have the years been to him?”

His wife and daughter were doing well for themselves, from what she saw at the gallery, but he hadn’t been there. No doubt working as hard as he always had.

~~

Thrawn took his seat near the other end of the bench. There wasn’t much space between the two, due to the size of the bench, but it still felt like some great distance separated them. Yes, the distance that fate brought into play. That she was taken. That Tarkin wanted him to look further into her.

He angled his body so he could better see her. “Oh yes, I’ve heard of the color symbolizing nobility and monarchs. It isn’t the same for my planet, at least for the color purple. I guess in some way, the color red back home symbolized great status, because it was once a rare color to come across.”

And while that had long changed due to more trade agreements between planets, its unspoken symbolism still stood and was reserved for only the most important ceremonies.

“You mentioned Mygeeto doesn’t utilize the cool hues, but does your planet have a color with this similar function?”

~~

Cora took a seat behind Tobias, glancing around the man to look out the viewport as the ship left lightspeed and approached the Imperial Facility.

Ortell nodded at Eli’s command. He reached forward to press a few buttons on the cockpit, and one hand grabbed the comm. “This is Ensign Ortell of the Chimaera, sent by Grand Admiral Thrawn.”

There was silence for a few seconds, and for a moment, Cora worried that they would not be able to gain access to the facility. But static sounded from the comm before they received an answer. “You are clear to land in Hangar 3.”

Ortell sighed, expressed his thanks into the comm, and flew the ship to the directed hangar.

Adlai wasn’t surprised by her deductions. It gave him little to go on – but it at least matched what he knew, and what he’d been told. “I suppose that depends on how you view things. I do not know Bail well enough to determine how they’ve been. He wears his senator persona well.”

He had a daughter who passed Alderaan’s trials and was now a true Princess.

He had a wife who was known as a great hostess, and admired by many for her generosity and kindness.

All appearances suggested that all was well, but if Bail was a part of the growing rebellion, then that meant that it was just that – appearances. There was more beneath the surface, a reason for Bail to be fighting, and troubles that he could not allow to surface lest they cause far greater problems. “He seems content. His daughter passed her trials, and both his wife and he share a reputation as beloved, if troublesome, individuals.”

Their beloved status only made them more troublesome, really. The Empire couldn’t easily do away with them, just as it couldn’t easily do away with Eira, or others who built themselves up into people that the public admired.

~***~

Eira couldn’t help but cant her head as Mitth’raw’nuruodo indicated that it was red which was held to such a standard. Given his eyes, it was hard to think of red being viewed as rare where he came from, but it was entirely possible that red was only seen in their eyes. Perhaps that had also helped to add certain layers of symbolism to it.

Did they see eyes as pathways to the souls?

Did they all have red eyes?

Always more questions came up when she wondered about his life, and his home, before the Empire, and always she felt some caution at asking anything of it. These were simple things, of course, but all the same – she didn’t know when it might cross a line into something he was unwilling to talk about.

When he asked about Mygeeto and such hues, Eira shook her head, “No,” honest enough, “there’s no system of aristocracy or nobility on Mygeeto – not among humans, anyways. I don’t know if the lurmens had such a thing before us,” before they ruined it all. She wished she knew more about lurmen culture, but alas, she did not. “The banking clans are also divided amongst themselves into varying families that have their own particular symbolisms. There may be something particular to them, but it’s not something that unites them.”

It divided them, rather like the Noble Houses of Serenno, which each had their own color so as to stand out from each other, rather than join together.

~***~

Eli was relieved to hear no argument or further questions, “Thrawn must have let them know,” obvious, perhaps, but he still said it aloud. ‘I wonder what that will mean for our venture.’ And if Proserpina already knew.

He’d bet yes.

He’d bet he’d have to look for signs of hasty movement, too. Which might be easier to find than someone who didn’t know they were coming, in some respects. Fear could make someone…lax.

Soon enough, they came to hangar three, motioned in, and Eli rose. “Everyone, with me, for now,” he said, so Ortell would know he wasn’t staying behind just yet, before he moved to the door.

As soon as the ship was down and the ramp lowered, he walked out, smiling to the officer that approached.

A quick glance at the rank plaque let him offer the greeting, “Major, I am Commander Vanto of the Chimaera. We appreciate the space to dock our ship while we’re doing our investigation.”

The woman gave a simple nod, “It’s no hardship, we do not have much traffic as it is, Commander. Will you be requiring space here, as well?” She offered no introduction, no name.

Eli considered, then shook his head, “No, we have no need of personal quarters at this time.” They could go back to the ship, but he had a feeling that they wouldn’t. They’d be out, and moving beyond here.

So the years hadn’t treated Bail Organa so kindly, Skye mused. Everyone suffered from the hands of the Empire, and if Bail kept his convictions and principles, then she couldn’t imagine the Empire would look upon him too favorably.

“It seems that he has a great support system around him.” A wonderful wife and an intelligent daughter, not to mention his network of allies. “I’m glad to hear it.”

But who was Adlai to Bail? He had only mentioned the trip was to discuss some things, but he couldn’t tell Skye anything more, which left her curious and a bit disappointed.

“Would you say they’re as troublesome as you are?” she teased, recalling earlier comments of how he annoyed the Empire often enough.

~~

The disjointed culture of Mygeeto simultaneously meant some aspects of the planet, and the meaning behind their art, would be easy to figure out and understand, while others would prove more difficult, as the culture didn’t run uniformly throughout their society, even amongst the humans and their banking clans.

“And what about your family, or those who shared the same social circle?” Thrawn asked, as he shifted his body to better face Eira. “Are there any particular symbols that are unique for you?”

Even if there were, he wondered if he would be able to find any art that hinted at an affiliation with her or her family. And if so, then what? What he analyzes wouldn’t necessarily mean anything concerning her, and yet, it could. It could help him dive deeper into her mind that she wouldn’t so easily show in public.

This woman was turning more and more into an enigma for him, and he didn’t like that. Not one bit. He needed Eli’s perspective.

~~

No one responded to Eli’s comment. Maybe Thrawn did let them know, or maybe they were familiar with Thrawn’s name. Surely a Chiss grand admiral was known by them all.

They would find out soon enough.

Everyone followed behind Eli, silent as he spoke with the officer that greeted them. We hope to not have a need of personal quarters Cora couldn’t help but to add silently in her mind.

“Of course, Commander. Don’t hesitate to ask if the need for them arises.” She was pleasant enough in extending the offer. “But, if you don’t mind me asking, what kind of investigation are you conducting here on Cartao?” Her brows furrowed, as the officer’s mind first went to the possibility of an investigation in their facility.

Cora wouldn’t answer, allowing Eli, as their Commander, to give what answer he deemed necessary.

‘Likely, more.’

Adlai laughed at Skye’s question and shrugged his shoulders a bit, “I suppose that is what I am going to go learn,” he allowed. He needed to know how troublesome Bail was. If he was on the level of Saw, then no alliance would be made.

Not that he got the final say in that.

Those decisions were usually made by Eira herself, with some input from Shay. “From what I’ve seen and heard, I think he may be a bit worse than me,” Adlai admitted, “He and Mon Mothma certainly try to pass more bills through the Senate that would limit the Emperor’s power than any of us from Serenno dare to attempt.”

And sometimes, refused to support, out of fear. Adlai didn’t know if he’d do the same as their Senator – he understood why they often argued for tempering the bills, but…well, he didn’t know. And didn’t have to make those decisions.

~***~

The only reason Eira thought of the family left behind on Mygeeto, was because they’d been on that subject. Still, her mind flickered to the Jedi. To how easily it would have been to identify symbols of her family and her life to Mitth’raw’nuruodo. They stood out, because they had wanted to be seen and recognized, to be called upon to aid. To be known as helpers.

Her family? Mygeeto?

“If there are such trends, they’ve eluded me,” Eira said, shaking her head slightly, “My family is well off, even before my success, but they’re not aristocracy. I suppose there are some brands they prefer to buy over others; I never see them with what we would call ‘store-brand’ goods.” Thankfully, that much was true.

She had needed something like that to be true, to explain her education. The wealth of her parents helped with that.

But trends in colors, symbols? As far as she knew, such things didn’t exist, and she hoped that wasn’t something she’d missed, something she should know from experiencing the culture. One of the unspoken rules that everyone on Mygeeto knew.

~***~

The woman had no need to know, and was in truth a potential suspect as an ally of the criminal. He’d seen stranger things, and so Eli only offered, “It is related to an ongoing criminal investigation, Major.” He didn’t offer the name Proserpina, or tie it to what happened at the art gallery just yet. “I’m afraid at this time I’d prefer to leave the details vague until we’ve narrowed things down a bit more, but if you have any information relating to general crime or troubles you’ve experienced on Cartao, that may aid us.”

He didn’t know if she would, or wouldn’t offer anything. She might take offense to being left out of the loop.

He thought he saw some indication of that offense, as she lifted her shoulders and shrugged, “Nothing beyond the odd shipment being interrupted or stolen, but that’s usually an off-world problem,” pirates operating beyond her borders. “I don’t believe that originates here.”

Eli nodded. It could. It also could not. He gave a single nod. No mention of Proserpina at all by the Major.

Interesting. Then again, perhaps she simply wasn’t aware – she did spend much of her time here. It may be a problem that impacted the typical citizens, not the Imperials.

“Worse than you?” Skye chuckled, hardly believing the words. And yet, from what she heard of Bail in the past, from what she remembered of the handful of times she had met him, that did not surprise her. “ I suppose that is something that I will have to judge for myself, but maybe for my sake, let’s hope he is the more troublesome one,” she said with a wink.

A light beeping from the panel sounded, and Skye maneuvered her body and chair to face straight ahead. She brought the ship out of lightspeed, and through the viewport one could see the breathtaking planet of Alderaan.

How long had it been since she had seen the planet? She couldn’t remember how many times she had been able to visit back during the Jedi Order, maybe only once or twice, and unfortunately it seemed like she wouldn’t be able to see much this journey.

But she would see those who weren’t her enemies, those she knew could be trusted, and so Skye allowed the tension in her muscles to relax as the ship flew closer.

Skye pressed another button, and motioned Adlai towards the comm. “Would you like to do the honors of hailing them?” she asked, not entirely serious. Adlai had to be the one to communicate that he was arriving, a count of Serenno to the royalty of Alderaan.

~~

Thrawn tilted his head as Eira gave her answer. He had thought it somewhat strange that there were no apparent symbols for her family, or if there were, Eira knew not of them.

“I see,” he cooly said, gaze briefly drifting back over the pond, seemingly frozen in time as ice covered the surface. Ice as fragile as the sculptures that often came from Mygeeto, twisting in crystalline spirals and fractured patterns to symbolize their tumultuous past.

His eyes slipped back on her. “Do you find yourself missing home often? Your family" Thrawn asked before he could think on the question. "Or do you much prefer life on Coruscant and wherever your career takes you?" If the answer was in the affirmative, then he would feel some slight guilt in demanding her to remain on Coruscant for an indefinite amount of time.

But only slight. There was still an investigation that remained to be solved.

~~

So far everything seemed to go smoothly enough. The officer didn’t appear too insulted that she couldn’t receive the details of their mission. Did this mean that Thrawn hadn’t alerted the facility of their arrival?

Now was the problem of where exactly to begin. Cora surmised they would travel to one of the villages she had pointed to back on the ship, but she didn’t want to assume if Eli had a further plan for the Imperial facility.

Ortell remained with the group, and would do so until told otherwise by Eli.

“Is there anything that is needed to be done here?” Cora went ahead and asked Eli, lowering her voice as to not be so easy to eavesdrop on. “Or should we go ahead and find transport for the first village?”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back