• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

Perhaps Eira should question Skye’s desire to meet Adlai a bit more, but times were different now, and she’d known a few Jedi even back in the day who were a bit promiscuous, playing on the idea of ‘attachment’. If the acts were meaningless, there was no problem. In theory. It wasn’t smiled upon.

Skye may have been one of those, or else without the stringent ruling of the Council, perhaps she was also simply trying to move on. Integrate. Put that life behind her.

“Of course I can introduce you,” she agreed, “He’s with our friend, Nadrine. I will have to take her aside at some point,” it was a small warning, and a way to keep Skye from jumping the gun when she did just that, “I was here to catch up with her and she’s a bit shy in front of new people.” More like she, too, had secrets that couldn’t go into the wrong ears, and Eira could not say if Skye ought to be involved.

Jedi, she might be.

That didn’t make her a rebel by default.

“Come along,” she smiled cheerfully as she turned to lead back to Malvern and Nadrine. The other woman immediately assessed her companion, and Eira could feel the tension, the way she bristled, even as Adlai set a calming hand on her shoulder, “My apologies for the delay, I thought I’d recognized an old friend and I did,” she gestured, “Adlai, this is Skye, Skye, Adlai,” she gestured between them.

Adlai stepped forward, passing a drink easily towards Eira so he could free his hand to offer it, “A pleasure to meet you, Skye,” he said, as Eira sidled along besides Nadrine. “I apologize, I did not think to get you a drink. Is there anything you would like?”

She didn’t lean in to whisper, but she did whisper all the same, keeping her expression, her lips, within plain sight. She wasn’t trying to spook Skye, but she wasn’t trying to lose Nadrine, either, “We’ll still talk, just allow me a few minutes.”

Nadrine hesitated, but nodded. “I understand,” she did. Old friend and acquaintances had gotten in the way of more than one dealing before. They couldn’t look suspicious.

~***~

Eli wouldn’t protest Cora’s work any longer. He looked down to his datapad briefly and sent a request to the kitchens for two drinks, one water, one citrus-water. He’d tried doing just the plain water, but it just got so boring, so fast. So he tried flavored waters instead, often infused with the vitamins and minerals he’d need for a day, anyways. And far better than the nutritional bars and shakes.

He only ate those when necessary, usually when planet-side and in need of a ration. Otherwise, he was generally grateful that Thrawn was not one to enforce such a diet as he’d heard of from others. It was a small luxury, perhaps, but food was one he was grateful for.

Actual food.

He moved to take a look at the image projected once it was put into place, showing planets, but with no indication of where these were in the mess of things, Eli could only blink at it. “Um.” While he knew Wild Space areas were often outside the grid, and not sectored in, “I’m not going to lie, I don’t think I understand this.”

On the maps he recalled with the Survey Corps, he at least recalled seeing full maps, with the mess of Wild Space as simply a chaos of dots, but they were usually put in perspective with the other planets – not just Wild Space itself. He knew that could be improved upon by either expanding the grid system and sectoring things off, but so many didn’t want to adjust the grid system because they were afraid it would change the name of the grids they were already in, and that would cause chaos.

Which, Eli understood. It still annoyed him.

~***~

Olwen nodded to Thrawn’s inquiry, “Banking was our main business,” he said, “it was seen as stable and white-collar, so most of our parents wanted us in that, rather than the mines,” another fairly decent alternative, but not as stable, and potentially deadly. “Translator was also a good position, since the banking clans worked across the galaxy, but most of that work went to droids.”

After all, droids were often able to understand more languages at once than most sentients, and they could be programmed to speak more than the biological tongue of any one creature allowed. “There were a few groups who didn’t like droids, though, and after the Clone Wars, that resentment increased.”

There were plenty who remained afraid of even an astromech. The banking clan had understood that, and knew it was better to keep a few translators that were biological on staff due to that reason. “Why are you so interested in Mygeeto?”

He couldn’t help but be curious, after all – he didn’t know of a reason to be interested in Mygeeto unless they had an upcoming mission there, and Thrawn rarely spent his time researching just random cultures.

Skye noted Eira’s gentle warning. She wouldn’t be planning something with her friend, Nadrine. Just to simply distract her. Not because she was a threat, so she gathered, but because she was skittish. Skye nodded in understanding.

It was hard to know who to fully trust these days. Skye understood that most of all. Anyone could turn at any given moment and contact the Empire.

The other woman wasn’t pleased by Skye’s appearance, but Skye couldn’t sense any intention to attack from her. And Eira lied so easily for her, claiming her to be an old friend.

With their connection, they may as well have been. Both once Jedis, now hiding in plain sight.

She smiled so easily at Malvern. “The pleasure’s all mine.” She accepted his free hand. “I wouldn’t say no to Corellian whiskey.” Skye offered a wink as she stepped a bit closer. Eira and Nadrine registered in the back of her mind, but she hadn’t felt any threat stemming from them yet.

Maybe Eira could be trusted.

“So, Adlai, what is it you do? Besides being an obviously dashing Count.”

~~

Cora grinned, the whites of her teeth clearly visible. “Exactly.” She looked down and fiddled with the datapad some more, and the plethora of planets disappeared until only a fraction remained. “I’m still working on it, but I have different ways on organizing these planets until proper systems are created for them, so that they are easier to look up and see.”

She pressed another button on her datapad, and those planets disappeared for a new set. “So I have them organized by different defining traits. For example, most of these worlds are heavily water-based, and if there was one in particular you wanted to look further into,” she paused, clicking on the screen to enhance the view of one planet, “then it would be easy to look it up and see what we have on it, such as coordinates, description of life forms, atmospheric composition, and other basic data.”

Cora hadn’t realized she had been rambling over her program. She took a pause and glanced back at Eli. “Obviously, it’s still very rough, and I’m always finding new bugs with it, or something else to consider.”

~~

None of what Olwen offered allowed Thrawn a glimpse into Eira’s childhood and why she went the route she did. She continued to be an enigma to him, much to his frustration and amusement.

He wasn’t about to explain to Olwen that a woman caused him such interest though.

“No reason of significance. The planet was mentioned in conversation, and I realized I knew very little about it, so I sought to rectify that.” Which hadn’t been too far from the truth.

“But learning about their culture should prove beneficial in the future, strategically, with their history and kyber sources.” Not that should be enough to allow the suggestion in Olwen’s head that the Empire may consider the planet a further strategic source for them to keep a close eye on.

Rebels and those hiding from the Empire never needed to say much to be understood. Though she and Skye had yet to define themselves to each other, they knew. She hadn’t needed to define Nadrine, either – it was easily understood that, while they were a group that perhaps had no ill will towards each other, alliances and trust were not easily given these days.

It took time.

Eira had been spending the better part of the last few years doing just that.

Though she couldn’t help but feel a twinge of guilt at opportunities she may have caused Adlai to miss for his own role in her schemes, and the public face he was within them, given the way that Skye approached so boldly. She wasn’t the first, of course. She’d hardly be the last – but she already knew his relationship with Eira was a lie, something most never got to know.

“With ice, or without?” Adlai inquired as he gripped her hand, presence, smile, warm. He would release it after a shake, and step back to see that the order was passed on to a server who came near with his gesture, before returning to the conversation at hand.

“Oh, do I need to do anything else?” He looked genuinely confused, though it was a lie, “I thought all I needed to do was stand around and look pretty in the right places.”

Nadrine couldn’t help but chuckle at that.

“You do that very well, dear,” Eira teased.

“Good – I was hoping I was living up to my aspirations of being a trophy.” He did more, of course, but he didn’t know Skye just yet, and he also was certain Eira didn’t, either, in spite of her introduction. “What about yourself, Skye? Besides having excellent taste in whiskey, that is.”

~***~

With some adjustments, Cora caused most of the planets to vanish. Eli arched a brow, but listened as she explained that she was starting to sort them by terrain, geography, features. He nodded. He could see the use of it. Not, necessarily, for mapping purposes, but certainly for other purposes.

“Even planets in the known galaxy could benefit from that,” Eli couldn’t help but comment, “We know a lot of ice planets often have kyber, so isolating them, or isolating planets with notable icy spots, could help us to narrow down locations to look for it.” Among other things.

A system to compare features and planets across the galaxy could be useful for a lot of reasons, really.

He smiled as she downplayed it a bit, “Maybe,” he didn’t know how rough it was, or wasn’t, “but it’s a good idea, until we have a way of sectoring them out, we can at least locate them by features, which helps the Survey Corp with research.”

If they couldn’t quite recall what watery planet they went to when they found an interesting fungus, they could at least start narrowing it down. Or if they thought they needed to go to a certain kind of climate, that could also help them – like ice, with kyber theories. “You ought to find out if you can get funding to work on this independently. I’m sure there’s a grant out there somewhere.”

~***~

Thrawn’s lie was believable enough. “Anywhere with kyber tends to draw attention nowadays,” he had noticed it mostly because of Mygeeto. He didn’t really know why, of course. He just recognized that the Empire was eating up kyber.

“Is there anything I should try to acquire on Mygeeto, then?” Maybe he should let Thrawn finish researching the art in peace before he asked that, but it was already out of his mouth.

It would give him something to at least wander off to, and start to put in orders, so that they’d have more Mygeeto things for Thrawn to look at later, if nothing else.

Skye noticed how the warmth of his hand lingered on hers after he let go. “With,” she simply responded. Adlai looked as charming up close as he did from a distance, fitting for the noble he is. Too bad I may not see you again after tonight.

She chuckled. “And he’s amusing,” she observed, lips stretched into a grin. The bartender placed her whiskey down in front of her, and she picked up the glass and took a sip. “I’m glad you’re living up to your aspirations.”

It didn’t bother her that he hadn’t answered her question. Adlai may have as many secrets as Eira. If he knew her truth, then he may potentially faced as much danger as they did.

Just as he didn’t answer her question, she would evade an exact answer for his. Many wouldn’t understand her line of work, or why she did it. “I guess you can call me an entrepreneur of sorts.” The lie fell easily from her smile. “And an art connoisseur.” She appreciated art. She appreciated how many credits some pieces could fetch.

~~

Cora nodded at Eli’s observation. She had considered its use for known planets, but her primary focus was to help the unknown, even if she currently didn’t have much in the program for actual mapping purposes.

That was something still in the rough draft stage.

But Eli hadn’t dismissed her side project as silly. He played it up, suggesting use beyond what she had intended. “Exactly. And with that research, hopefully this program can be useful to the Empire for locating resources, if it ends up functioning beyond a mapping system.”

She had begun to power down the holoprojector as Eli suggested for her to find funding for her project. “Oh, I don’t know,” she waved off. “Anyone worth mentioning this to probably won’t consider it an immediate need for the empire.”

~~

Thrawn agreed with Olwen. Sources of kyber drew great attention from the Empire, for a reason he did not yet know. It was also a material he needed to study further to make an attempt to guess what it could be used for. The Jedi, who used the kyber for their lightsabers, were now gone.

What other weapons could kybers power?

Olwen asked another question, and Thrawn started to wave him off, so he could research in peace, but he reconsidered at the last second. “If there are any upcoming art sales on the planet, please let me know.”

Another piece of culture he could add to his gallery to study up close.

For now, he would focus on the holos Olwen found for him, and see if anything would be able to help him. From speaking with the librarian, though, Thrawn had formed more questions to ask Eira on Saturday.

The drink was soon acquired, easy conversation ensuing of half-truths. They were all more than familiar with the act, though Malvern’s eyebrows rose, “Didn’t you meet another today who was quite interested in art, Eira?” He recalled her attempts at pronouncing the name, and then she had offered a little explanation him – of why they’d see him at the exhibit. “What was the name?”

It was a light tease but enough to make Eira flush, “I haven’t got it down yet,” she was fairly certain of that, just as certain as the fact the name might startle both Skye and Nadrine, “Grand Admiral Thrawn, though. He’s quite interested in the arts, as well. Perhaps this is a sign I should take up painting over music.”

Nadrine’s eyes did go wide. “Why were you with the Grand Admiral?”

“Savit invited me to play for Thawn’s promotion party. It’s easy money,” she offered. There were other perks to it, if she had ever wanted to consider them, but the thought of turning into an active spy still remained off the plate. “Still, the coincidences are interesting,” and rarely coincidences. She knew she shouldn’t place too much stock in it, but she’d keep note of it all the same, “Will you be seeing the exhibit of Alderaan, Skye? Myself and Malvern will be there on Saturday.”

~***~

Eli certainly agreed; the project could be useful for a wealth of things, if properly handled. However, he didn’t let her dismiss it that easily, “You never know. Gra—Governor Tarkin has a lot of side projects as part of the Tarkin Initiative program.” Perhaps it would never get Governor Tarkin’s seal of approval.

Then again, Tarkin seemed to favor Thrawn, and by default, his crew. “If he isn’t interested in it, he might know who is. You could always try – I’d help make sure he got it, if you ever wanted to write a grant proposal.”

Tarkin was intimidating, it was true. Eli had at least spoken with him and handled himself well enough to be recognizable to Tarkin without Thrawn. He considered that a victory, and a reason to offer. “The Empire needs to pay more attention to the places we don’t know, and agree on a system to categorize them.” Besides the fact it could be useful, there could also be more people like Thrawn out there.

Not all of them may be so willing to help the Empire.

~***~

Olwen chuckled a bit, “I assume you mean…notable art?” He said as he went back to his own desk. “Because there are multiple stores on Coruscant that sell art all the time, and there are events dedicated to art. Gallery showings aren’t uncommon down there,” an almost daily thing, really, by people who aspired to be among the greats and had enough credits to buy the space for a few hours.

It wasn’t always good.

Sometimes, it was, but most art got lost to history. Thrawn never seemed interested in all that, so much as he was interested in art that made an impact on the culture around it. All art was a product of the culture, and likely had much to say – but Thrawn was decidedly more picky than all that.

Skye smirked at Eira’s flush. She almost asked who it was that intrigued her, but Eira mentioned the guy’s name without prompt.

And Skye froze. She was well aware of who Grand Admiral Thrawn was. An intelligent officer of the Galactic Empire, and someone who wouldn’t hesitate to send an Inquisitor after her.

Nadrina asked the question Skye was thinking, but her words didn’t freeze up on her tongue. When Eira asked her about her attendance at the exhibit, she swallowed and stopped herself from a reaction she would regret later.

“It depends. You mentioned that the Grand Admiral is quite interested in the arts. Am I to assume that he’ll be there as well? Our...politics hardly match up, so I would rather not risk seeing him.” She knew Eira knew why Skye didn’t want to see him. The others listening in may not, but that wasn’t her concern.

She just needed to try and stay away from the Imperials.

~~

Cora gazed at Eli with slight skepticism in his words. Governor Tarkin intimidated her a little, and she felt trepidation in the thought of approaching the skeletal man in her project. What if he said no? What if he laughed at her and thought of her as an idiot?

But she didn’t want to tell Eli her concerns and have him think she was making excuses to push this aside.

Then there was another matter that stuck out at her. “Do you really think this has the potential to be useful for the Empire?” Cora had intended it for her use, and maybe for her colleagues if the program interested them, but approval would benefit her career tremendously.

She smiled. “Thank you for your kind words. I think you helped ease any fears I had at pursuing a potentially useless project.”

~~

Lifting an eyebrow, Thrawn glanced at Olwen as he walked back to his desk. “Isn’t all art notable?” All art told a valuable story, and he never understood why some art was considered to be worth more based on the name attached. It was all superficial.

He sat at a library desk not so far away from Olwen. At first Thrawn wanted to dismiss Olwen’s information concerning art buying on Coruscant. None of it would be relevant to my current needs. But he paused. With the diversity of Coruscant, some art stores or galleries, like the upcoming one of Alderaan, may hold some art he desired.

“Do you know where I could find a database of these stores and galleries?” He picked up the first holo and turned it on. “I do have a collection of art that I am always looking to expand on.” Art that he studied in depth to understand their current enemies, or planets of interest with potential rebel cells.

Eira understood Skye’s fears entirely. She shared them, though she had learned how to move within their spheres without being caught. It was a feat, and she knew it. “There will be plenty who are present that will not share the Grand Admiral’s views,” Eira noted, “but yes, I do expect that he will be there, and I expect Count Malvern will need to escape a couple of times before he starts an argument on politics.”

“Heh…,” Malvern wouldn’t deny the possibility. The exhibit would be a much safer place for such discussions, and if Eira was fond of him, that meant she believed some possibility existed of Thrawn not being with the Empire for terrible reasons.

And who didn’t want a Grand Admiral making a ruckus about policy?

Well, Palpatine wouldn’t. “If your politics don’t match Thrawn’s, they’ll certainly match mine better,” Malvern confessed.

“And mine,” Nadrine muttered. “You don’t share their politics, do you?” It was almost accusing.

Eira shook her head, “No, but leaving the conversation has never done any good. I prefer to engage and understand.”

‘Counsellor.’ Malvern remembered. Counsellor had been her title, once upon a time. Not Knight.

“I take it you won’t be there?”

“Ah…no. Breha and myself have some bad blood.” Nadrine shook her head.

~***~

“Of course I do,” Eli said, nodding even as the question was asked, and as Cora seemed to reconsider it entirely, confessing her fears. They were obvious enough, but he hadn’t considered that they went too deep. “And if you need anyone to help you pitch it, or look over anything, you can ask me. I used to be with the Survey Corps, and I still think they do good work.”

Necessary work.

So he wanted to see a project like this succeed. It would help others to see that the Survey Corps were useful, if what they were finding and doing could be seen in some fashion. A way to compartmentalize and organize the worlds found would go a long way towards that.

There was a lot of potential in this. He was certain of that much, at least.

~***~

Olwen let out a bit of a laugh in a breath as Thrawn inquired about ‘all art’. “I suppose,” but he’d never seen Thrawn examine everyday, run-of-the-mill art, or anything that didn’t seem to have culture relevance on a broad scale.

When he asked about art stores and galleries, Olwen took out his personal datapad and just ran a search for art galleries on Coruscant. He walked back around to Thrawn, and set his datapad down on the table, “There are over a hundred results.”

Galleries, and stores alike, came up with the search. “And I do not think these are all that are out there. There’s an entire district that celebrates art and local artists every first Friday of the new month.” He brought up another screen on his datapad to show Thrawn the ‘First Friday’ celebration information, which spoke of the next theme – Nature, something Coruscant always seemed to have on display, rather than allowed to move freely about.

There was nothing wild in Coruscant.

Skye considered Adlai. “Well, if you’ll be there, and if you’ll need an escape before starting an argument with Grand Admiral Thrawn, then it sounds like I should come along.” She knew it was risky with such a high-ranking and notorious officer there; she would simply have to be very careful and not draw attention to herself.

If she played her cards right, she may even be able to score a few extra credits after the night was over.

“Breha? Breha Organa?” Skye had heard rumors surrounding Queen Organa, and that was enough to interest her. “Sound like quite a mix of people will be there.” She took a sip of her drink as she considered that idea. Enough interesting people will be at the exhibit, that she may not have to worry about herself, if she didn’t do anything boisterous.

With Adlai Malvern there, she could simply flirt and keep him company.

Another sip. I prefer to engage and understand. Eira sounded like a true Jedi. At one time Skye would’ve done the same thing, but she didn’t consider herself to have that luxury anymore. If they were a part of the Empire, then they wanted her dead.

~~

If Cora smiled any wider, she was sure her cheeks would start hurting. While she didn’t need the support of Commander Vanto, it was greatly appreciated, and helped boost her own ego a little.

“You hardly know me, and yet you’re willing to help me.” With that thought, the smile diminished. Many officers didn’t extend any help unless they knew they would benefit, or saw a way to get full credit for the idea. They only cared about getting ahead. As someone from Wild Space, Cora imagined Eli would search for those opportunities more than someone from the Core.

But she wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. “Why is that?”

Cora turned as she heard the door slide open. In came the droid with their water. “You can put them on the table,” she directed.

~~

Thrawn glanced down at the datapad as Olwen sat it down. He skimmed through the results, raising an eyebrow as he realized he had momentarily forgotten exactly how much goes on on Coruscant due to the large elite numbers.

It shouldn’t have been surprising, and he wondered if it was possible to scan through those results for galleries that would be of the greatest interest for him.

Olwen then brought up another screen for Thrawn to read. The irony of Coruscant celebrating a ‘Nature’-themed art showing did not escape him. Everything about Coruscant was artificial, including the weather.

“Seems I need to do some research on Coruscant,” he mused. The simple option would be to simply to ask Eira to meet up and ask her about their art and anything else he thought of, but that was not his strategy. “Do you know of anywhere on Coruscant that holds the greatest collection of Mygeeto art?”

Adlai chuckled, but gave his nod. “I would appreciate any and all assistance in making sure I do not cause too much trouble, as I’m apt to do around Imperial officers,” when he felt he was in a relatively safe environment, anyways. He’d still gotten slugged a few times for mouthing off. He’d also, usually, found ways to see those officers punished for it, or for something else.

“Yes, Queen Breha,” Eira nodded. “It’s going to attract plenty of people. You will hardly stand out, Skye,” Eira offered. It was another way to see her, as well. And tying her to Adlai might help her feel some comfort.

“I suppose we’ll need a story of how we know each other, though,” Adlai chuckled, and at that, Eira brushed Nadrine’s arm.

“You two can figure that out,” Eira noted, “I need to get a new drink.” She had made sure to finish hers quicker than normal, in order to gain that escape with Nadrine.

“Ah – I am curious what else is offered,” Nadrine took her hint, and moved to follow after Eira.

~***~

Eli Vanto knew the question was coming before it did. It was in the way that Cora’s lips turned down from their glee, all too quickly. She was worried about what he wanted from this. They always were. He didn’t blame them. The Empire was built on competition when it came to ranks. “Well….” He was about to explain, not sure how, when the droid interrupted.

Clarity struck him in the moment of pause, and he went to take his drink, “Let me tell you a story of my Academy days,” he said, offering a smile to her. “As you can guess, Thrawn and I weren’t exactly the most popular kids, and Thrawn in particular was despised. A group ganged up us once; he pushed me out of the way,” Eli shook his head.

He hadn’t forgotten that.

He hadn’t forgotten what Thrawn asked, either, “Obviously, we reported it. We figured out who it was, too – but Thrawn didn’t ask to see them expelled or anything like that. He saw how the three that attacked us…he saw how they did it, and he wanted to promote them to an academy for TIE fighters.”

Eli still couldn’t believe it. “He thought they’d better serve the Empire there, even after what they’d done. I guess, what I’m trying to say, to explain, is that I’ve been learning a lot that we need more support in the ranks from Thrawn, and less competition. I can see you have a great idea that really could be useful. I’m not here to steal it from you, or ask for a favor back. We’re all trying to make the galaxy a better place, right?”

~***~

Olwen chuckled a bit at Thrawn’s deduction, “Good luck. Coruscant has so many subgroups and cultures, it’d be hard to figure out if Coruscant has any one defining group or culture to study that threads throughout.”

Actually, there was likely one, but that group was now more or less extinct.

Things were changing, and that meant Coruscant was also in a state of upheaval, still, given the influence the Jedi used to have. People here hadn’t forgotten that they were, in fact, very real, even if other places of the galaxy questioned it.

Olwen took the datapad back, sighing heavily, but he started to work his magic with the datapad and search terms and exclusions, eventually narrowing things down to two stores and a single gallery, which he set down for Thrawn to examine.

One was in the north of Coruscant, where a false sort of ski lodge and snowy environment existed, and seemed to like to host art and trinkets from places that were known for their snowy climates in general. Another was a gallery that was operated by a Mygeeto native. The last was a store that simply sold things from that particular sector. “These would probably be your best resources,” he offered.

“I guess someone will just have to keep you in line.” Skye winked at Adlai and donned an impish smile. If he needed a distraction, then she would be more than happy to give him one that would ensure he didn’t talk to an Imperial at all.

She relaxed more with Eira’s reassurance. It sounded like she was right – Skye would hardly stand out unless she purposely acted to stand out. She wasn’t that brash.

Eira and Nadrina left, to which Skye nodded at them as her gaze briefly followed their forms. Then she focused back on Malvern. “So, a story? Obviously you were so charmed by me, that you had to come and talk to me.”

She smirked into her glass, her challenging gaze daring him to offer a different story.

~~

Eli began his story, and Cora walked over to grab her drink as she listened. It was one she had never heard before, even if had involved Thrawn back in their academy days.

Not even a whispered rumor.

But it placed Thrawn in a completely new light for her. To not seek punishment for the students who attacked them, but rather explain how he felt they would do better in a different branch of the academy? It was a level of composure and leadership many in the Empire did not possess.

She was beginning to see why Thrawn rose to Grand Admiral so quickly. And if Eli worked so closely with him for so long, then surely he held the same beliefs?

The smile appeared one her face again. “You’re right. We are trying to make the galaxy a better place. I guess sometimes it’s just hard to gauge who is putting their own desires first, but if you’re anything like the Grand Admiral, then you are really just trying to help.”

~~

Thrawn figured that it would be difficult to study on Coruscant at any level, for the reasons Olwen mentioned. And that was what made Coruscant so aggravating to him. It wasn’t so easy to predict anything about the planet or the people, due to its diversity and sheer volume of immigrated species and cultures.

Humans from all over the galaxy ruled it. The only thing he needed to know about them was that they were the absolute elite of the planet, and considered themselves the elite of the galaxy.

Heavy sigh. Thrawn made no comment, but he murmured his thanks as the datapad was set back down in front of him. The list was significantly lowered to only three places of interest, much more doable.

“I thank you for you help.” He wrote down the names and information of the locations in his own datapad for further research whenever he made his way to Coruscant. “You have been of great service.”

Adlai smiled at Skye’s bold suggestion. “While you are certainly quite charming, Skye, I am afraid that is not a story that fits,” given his public appearances. He gestured lightly to Eira as she moved away, “I am already spoken for,” he was unaware Eira had revealed their secret, of course, but even so, it wouldn’t have mattered.

To the public, he was spoken for, and he did not need rumors spreading that something may be amiss with their relationship.

It happened, regardless. The media loved a scandal, but there was never any weight to it. Perhaps Malvern did, occasionally, wish to be able to pursue others but there were things more important than that. Shielding a Jedi was one. The Rebellion, the Shah-tezh was another. His role made both of those things possible. “So we will need something else, I am afraid, and I know very little of you to be certain what a good story is.”

What skills could she successfully speak of? What lie fit to her character?

Eira and Nadrine eventually moved out of sight, pausing to get drinks as agreed, before finding a decent place to people-watch, and talk. “How is your friend?”

“Well,” Nadrine answered, “he dreams now of shadows.”

Kashyyyk. A sad smile came to Eira’s lips. She had known that, of course. It was why she agreed to meet Nadrine. “Those are nightmares,” she said, “I know what he needs to see his way through the nightmare to the dream. I do not have it with me, this was short-notice.”

Nadrine nodded, “But you will?”

“Mm,” she smiled, “I will. I have need to pay a visit to our soldiers in Kashyyyk as it is. His path will be there after I have passed ahead.”

Nadrine sipped her drink. “My friend will be happy. Where will he find it?”

“The Beast will show him that. He will know her.”

~***~

Eli was glad to see that smile return to Cora’s face, and he relaxed against the table, sipped his flavored water, as she seemed to take it. “There are some of his qualities that I admire,” he said, “but not all. He’s still hopeless in many areas,” he still couldn’t see the competition in the Empire. Not to the degree he needed to.

Or perhaps, he didn’t need to. He was Grand Admiral.

There was only Grand Moff, and Emperor, above that. He had peers, of course, but so far as ranks went, he was as high as it went unless he wanted to challenge Grand Moff Tarkin, and Eli doubted that.

Anyone who played at that usually ended up dead. Krennic seemed the only exception so far, and Eli was almost certain that was because Krennic didn’t, honestly, stand a chance. Tarkin found him amusing, the way a cat found a mouse amusing. “But I do remind myself of that lesson, when I get annoyed by all the politicking for rank here. And I know I’m in the best place to serve the Empire.”

Even if he’d wanted otherwise, as he’d expressed to Cora.

Thrawn had good insight.

~***~

Olwen took his datapad back once Thrawn had jotted down his notes, “Of course. It’s the least I can do since I get paid to know things,” he chuckled. “I’d be a rather poor librarian if I didn’t have the answers, wouldn’t I?” he tucked his datapad away.

He was still curious about Thrawn’s interest in Mygeeto. Sure, his reasoning made sense, but he seemed too obsessed for Olwen to think that was it. He let it lie, though, “If you need anything else, just let me know, Grand Admiral.” He offered, before he would make his way back to the desk, and back to the orders they needed to expand their collections.

He knew Thrawn would need time with what art they did have from Mygeeto, and then? Well, he might start visiting those places on Coruscant. So long as they didn’t have a heading, he was free to roam, and it didn’t seem like Thrawn was concerned about needing a heading anytime soon.

Last edited:
Skye looked over at Eira, then back at Adlai with a knowing glint. “She seems to think there’s trouble in paradise.” She wouldn’t directly state that Eira had told her the truth, but she laid down the hint for Adlai to pick at, in case of any eavesdroppers.

But she understood what the false relationship did for Eira in the public eye.

“I can be anything you need me to be.” She followed that with a gulp of her drink. “You seem to understand how to navigate the public eye better than I do. What do you think would be a good story?”

Skye wished to avoid telling anything about herself as much as possible to Malvern. None of it would be appropriate for anyone with the tendency to gossip to know. She would be considered scandalous at best.

At worst? Well, she would expect to be facing the business end of a red lightsaber at that point.

~~

Cora wouldn’t comment on Eli’s observation that Thrawn was still hopeless in some areas. She didn’t know enough about the Grand Admiral to agree or disagree, nor did she feel like she was at the level of comfort with Eli to joke about their superior. But she would take his word for it. A Chiss from the Unknown Regions wouldn’t know many of their customs or conventions.

“It’s a good lesson to remember.” The politicking for rank was ridiculous at times. She didn’t care as much as others told her to be, like her family. She just wanted to work on her maps and venture to new planets.

Maybe that was why she thought differently than the other officers from the Core. She didn’t strive for as much power as possible. She just wanted to explore and help chart the unknown territories.

“Enough about that.” She sipped at her water, “What else were you thinking for today?”

~~

Yes, he would be. Thrawn thought but had the knowledge, the training thanks to Eli, to not voice the thought. Even if it was merely a confirmation of Olwen’s rhetorical question. “I’ll be sure to ask you if I have any more question.”

Olwen left him with the holopads, and Thrawn carefully studied what he could find. Frustration mounted as the art, exactly how Olwen described to him, left him with only more questions concerning Eira rather than answers. He was half-tempted to simply ask her to meet with him, so he could ask all his questions.

But he didn’t have any of her contact information, and he wouldn’t see her again until Saturday.

His next line of thought shifted to those who may know her contact information. His thoughts didn’t first think of Grand Moff Tarkin or Grand Admiral Savit, who seemed to have known her well enough, but he thought of Count Adlai Malvern, who was close to Eira.

And, as a politician, had a public office on Coruscant.

Eli doesn’t have to know about this venture. Thrawn rose to his fit, collected the holopads, and brought them back over to Olwen. “Again, thank you for your help. It was most productive.”

It took Adlai a moment, but it became clear fairly quickly. Eira had told this woman their relationship was a sham. ‘Truly a Jedi then.’ Eira wouldn’t drop such secrets so easily unless she needed to, in order to reach a connection. Secrets, for trust. She knew that only too well.

Adlai chuckled to help cover the heat he felt come to his face at Skye’s obvious offer of ‘whatever he wanted’. It was not a subtle comment, and certainly not what he expected of a Jedi, although from a couple of comments about an Obi-Wan Kenobi, he’d learned that some Jedi Knights were, well, not above flirting.

Perhaps this Skye had also been in the knight category. “I doubt we’ll be arriving together,” he knew better than to assume they would be getting contact information that quickly. “I have been in need of a bodyguard and a pilot,” he offered, “It’d be easy enough to claim you were someone who interviewed for either role. I haven’t come to any decisions on it yet.”

This would offer them a connection, and a reason for Malvern to want to spend some time in her presence, to see how she moved through environments. It also meant they didn’t need to know too terribly much about each other, just yet. “Would either role fit you?”

~***~

Eli nodded, glad that Cora could see things that way. He’d never been terribly concerned about ranking, but he knew that people didn’t believe him when he said that. A story such as that, however, tended to help people see that he’d learned it. Never mind the fact he hadn’t wanted to be here in the first place and just wanted to be involved in shipping.

People needed proof, a reason why Eli would be different from the norm.

He smiled as she dismissed the topic, apparently still wanting to do more even after she’d had time to explain her project a bit, and show it off. That hadn’t taken long at all. And she thought her ramblings were bad.

At least he wouldn’t have to get into any of his.

He sipped his own water, considered. They had drinks now. He was enjoying his drink. Dancing would require sitting it down, although dancing was still on his mind, given it was the most recent experience and he didn’t want to lose his memory of it. They could always come back to the drinks. “Well, it’s still early, and I haven’t gotten to the training grounds yet. Usually I would,” at least take some time to keep himself in shape. It was technically the day for legs.

He probably still would, just later that evening, “And I don’t want to forget what I learned last night that quickly, so perhaps we could start with dancing, before we get into anything too…strategic?” Like games. “I think my body still needs to wake up first before my mind can.”

~***~

The night had gone well, from what Malvern picked up on, although it was going to require a trip to Kashyyyk. Not for himself, of course, but for the Beast, the Counselor, the Dowager, and the Outcast herself, of course, they would need to move to Kashyyyk, and that required a bit of manipulation with schedules and planning, especially given the fact they had to get the Beast on, and off, Kashyyyk.

And just the Beast.

Maege would want to take them all back with her, if she could, but she would have to settle for helping Saw’s partisans in this case, and leaving them what they needed to get through to the Shadowlands, unharmed. The Beast knew that secret, as did Eira, a certain perfume that would settle the native life of Kashyyyk and allow Saw to move freely to find the remaining Chief of the Wookiees – and likely, lure some of the Imperials into terrible deaths when they gave pursuit.

Saw had plans to take down a refractory there, and they all wanted him to succeed. It would free many Wookiees, for one.

He was thus expecting a few people to drop by, and was tidying up his office space. He was the easiest to reach of the Shah-tezh because he had such a public space, unlike Eira who maintained a private life despite being a public figure.

Not Maege, no – she could hardly risk that – but others.

Last edited:
Skye knew the moment when Adlai realized that she knew their secret. She could feel it, if he hadn’t made it so obvious on his face. And the truth didn’t seem to bother him.

He hadn’t expected her daring comment, which she could see too clearly on his face. Skye smirked, a light twinkle of mischief in her eyes. He was a fun one, and he blushed so prettily. She allowed her mind to wonder at what else could make him blush.

“A bodyguard or a pilot?” she mused, taking a sip of her drink to consider the two choices. One had immediately stuck out at her, due to her training for most of her life. It was something she could trust herself doing, even if it was all a sham.

“I believe I could fit either role, but a bodyguard would suit me so much better. Everyone would be deceived by my appearance, that I could easily overpower them.” And she did, often. Besides, if all else fails, her height allows for the opportune kicking position.

~~

Cora bit back the ridiculous smile that threatened to split across her face. She still vividly recalled how warm his body felt pressed against hers, how comforting his hand felt in her own, and here was the perfect opportunity to recreate that moment, if it was simply to just further learn how to dance.

But first, she had to ask, “Training grounds? If you spar, maybe we should spar together one day.” She couldn’t imagine him at all winning in a sparring match, but perhaps looks were deceiving. Maybe he could pin her to the mat in one simple twist.

Now that was an imagine that would be stuck in her head all day.

“We can start with some dance lessons. You did very well last night, but I can show you some moves that would certainly impress anyone who would be watching.” Cora nearly added on including the ladies watching, but she stopped herself, as she realized she hated that thought.

For whatever ridiculous reason.

“Perhaps some music would help get us in the rhythm?” she offered, setting her datapad on the table and eventually finding the music selection.

~~

Thrawn made quick plans of a visit to Coruscant. Due to the nature of the visit, he would neglect to tell Eli what he was doing. He didn’t see his Commander anyways, so he surmised that Eli must have been enjoying the day off.

He couldn’t disturb him.

Once looking up the information of the location of Count Malvern’s office, he took a shuttle down to the planet, never once thinking of how he shouldn’t be doing that. Once at the location, an officer followed Thrawn at a safe distance, even if he didn’t anticipate any unexpected attacks at the office of a Count of Serenno.

He wouldn’t dare attack a Grand Admiral on Coruscant.

Thrawn soon came up to the Count’s office door, and remembering what Eli had told him about polite society and politics, he gently rapped his knuckles against the door.

Malvern allowed himself a smile at that. ‘Jedi Knight, then.’ Not that Eira was incapable. Far from it, and he knew that Dooku had also been a Counselor, as well. He only recalled that detail, because Eira had mentioned Dooku used the same style as she did. She had wanted to be Dooku’s apprentice, before he left the Order, apparently.

Such strange connections over time.

And now. “You make a fair point,” he agreed, “We’ll have to have a formal interview, or provide the appearance of one. I trust you can find my office on Coruscant within the next day or two and we can go over the matter?”

She wouldn’t be hired on the spot, of course. If she was hired at all. The job of pilot would have given more leeway to be away from him, but bodyguard would mean she’d have to stick close to him, often enough to be seen. He wouldn’t mention that, of course.

This was just for one moment, for the ‘how they met’ story. If he didn’t hire her, things could always go another way.

Eira returned to them, with Nadrine, and new drinks. “Sorry about that, I hope I didn’t miss much?” Eira asked lightly.

~***~

Eli nodded, “Yeah – I do. I wouldn’t mind,” he was getting used to his usual opponents and their strategies. Thrawn could still throw him off, and almost effortlessly, but the others he was usually able to overcome.

His own size and build gave him an advantage with those who didn’t know him, too. People didn’t expect him to be capable, especially in the Navy. “I’d be happy to teach you a few things.” He doubted she had much experience – the basics – but he was willing to be surprised. Hoping, in a way, given his boredom with his current partners.

He let her step aside to select the music, standing back with his hands behind his back. He recalled how it started, how to hold her, and how to guide, “If you think I can learn them,” he sounded a bit hesitant, but he wasn’t sure what Cora had in mind for impressing others.

He would wait until the music started, before offering his hand. He hadn’t thought they’d stay in here – but he supposed he didn’t mind. No one was really going to bother them in the lab, and there was enough open space.

~***~

Adlai Malvern would have expected the Dowager to send a message before arriving. With the Counselor, it could go either way – he liked her, but she was a bit, well, spacey. Skye, he was anticipating a drop-in.

Still, he remained a touch annoyed that his secretary hadn’t at least alerted him. Nonetheless, he moved to the door and opened it, startled to see Thrawn standing there. ‘What?!’ Did Eira slip up? Did he slip up?

He knew he couldn’t mask all of the panic that flashed across his face, or in the way his weight shifted back, but he still held his poise. “Grand Admiral – I wasn’t expecting you,” obviously. He forced himself to step back, and sweep his hand into the room, “Please, come in. How can I assist you?”

What the hell did they do wrong?

"Would you like any refreshments?"

An office on Coruscant with a name like his. “I think I can manage to find it.” She would most likely try and swing by his office the next day. While she now had every intent to attend the gallery that Saturday, Skye wouldn’t stay on the planet for the entire duration of the week.

She still had worries. Enemies.

Eira soon joined them again, and Skye shot her a brief smile. “Nothing much, other than realizing how charming your boyfriend can be.” She shot Eira a knowing glance. “Perhaps I should be jealous.”

And if she didn't know the truth, then maybe Skye would have been a bit jealous over the pretty Count in a serious relationship. But they weren't. So she wasn't. If anything, the situation made everything all the more enticing, as no one else could know.

~~

Cora was a little too excited at the prospect of sparring with Eli. She hadn’t sparred in some time, and finally she would have someone who could help her. And nothing more. Just help. “Thank you, I appreciate that.”

As she is helping him learn how to dance.

She selected a basic waltz to start out. “I’m sure you can. With how quickly you picked up dancing last night? It will be no issue.”

Once the music started, Cora faced him, and took his hand as he offered it. “For now we’ll just see what you remember from last night.” With the lab being the perfect location, in her mind, to practice a dance lesson. No one else would enter the lab that day, so there was no chance of anyone accidentally seeing their private lesson that could look more to the outside gaze.

~~

Eyes slightly widened. Clear display of anxiety, but why? Obviously he wasn’t expected the Grand Admiral to make an appearance. He hadn’t sent a message or any indication of such a meeting. He would be more surprised if Malvern wasn’t surprised to his arrival.

To the question of refreshments, he shook his head. “No, thank you.” He wasn’t there to engage in casual conversation, though if he could get Malvern a drink or two in, Thrawn wouldn’t complain.

“Were you at the party long last night?” He had decided to begin, circumnavigating the ultimate question for why he was there for the moment. “I don’t recall seeing you there for more than just a few minutes, only right beside Eira Nevan near the end.”

Adlai knew his office wasn’t that hard to find – at least, once one figured out how to navigate the buildings. That was a nightmare at first. “I will look forward to meeting you, then,” he chuckled, before his attention was turned to Eira and Nadrine.

Eira, who narrowed her eyes ever-so-slightly on Skye. ‘Careful.’ She wanted to say, but didn’t. Nadrine was not in the know, and Skye’s emphasis did not go over her head. She looked confused by it, and Eira moved to take Adlai’s arm and smiled sweetly up at him. “I’ve told you.”

He gave an indulgent laugh as he moved his arm from Eira’s grip, to be around her waist, “I’m sorry,” he kissed the top of her head, “It’s my nature.”

“I know,” she sighed deeply, and Nadrine shook her head a bit, but the comment was thus forgotten. Left alone.

“It was good to see you both again,” Nadrine said, “But I should be on my way.”

“I understand. I’ll see you soon,” Eira said, and Nadrine nodded, lifted her cup in a brief cheers gesture, before leaving them.

~***~

Eli drew Cora towards himself as she agreed that he had the skill for these things. He’d allow the confidence to sweep over him and trust in her, as he trusted in Thrawn when the Chiss thought him capable of something.

The music had a basic beat, an obvious tempo. Eli was appreciative of that, “I think I remember most of it,” another reason he had wanted to follow with dance immediately. It was still fresh in his mind.

And he did, the box-step coming easily back to mind, and the tempo obvious enough to follow without thinking too hard about it. Yet, he didn’t find himself relaxing much. It was easy, yes, but there wasn’t the sound and chaos of another environment. There were no distractions from the act. From the feel of her hand in his, or her uniform beneath his fingers.

It was almost terribly awkward for that, and he couldn’t quite relax because of that.

~***~

Adlai had screwed up somehow. He wasn’t sure how, and he knew he hadn’t been up to too much that was scandalous that day. Yet Thrawn was questioning his activities. Did he know of the meeting with the Partisan? Had he heard his conversation with the Imperator?

Adlai shut the door after Thrawn and moved back around to his desk, smiling as he shook his head, “No, I do not get invited to parties at the Imperial Palace, Grand Admiral,” he answered, “Eira wanted to see me when her shift was over, and I obliged. We do not get so much time together with our schedules as they are.”

He had politicking.

She had the arts. “Not as much time as we’d like. I apologize if my presence was unwelcomed, I had thought I arrived close enough to the end not to cause much fuss.”

Skye understand the minor threat Eira threw her way. She titled her head, and took another sip to finish her drink. For both their sake, she wouldn’t do anything more in public. They didn’t need questions thrown their way.

He momentarily frowned at the public display of affection, finding herself wishing to be in Eira’s place. A silly thought, but how secure did his arms feel? That embrace of affection?

When was the last time she had felt any affection? Sham or not.

Skye tiled her head at Nadrine. They hadn’t exchanged any words, but she acknowledge the woman as she left. “Then maybe I should make my own exit soon and let you two spend some time alone.”

~~

Cora allowed Eli to lead, enjoying how he drew her in and how he felt near her. His firm hands. The warmth radiating from him. But he still couldn’t relax, not like he did at the party.

He felt tense under her hands, and she couldn’t fathom why. No one was around to watch and criticize him, unlike last night. “You need to relax,” she murmured, gently squeezing his hand.

Was he simply overthinking it today, now that he was in an actual “lesson”? “Relax your muscles and think about nothing but the music.” And your feet, Cora wanted to add, but ultimately decided not to.

“Why are you more nervous today?” She mused out loud, allowing one corner of her lips to twitch upwards in a half-smile.

~~

Adlai was polite enough in his answers, but Thrawn still sensed an underlying issue. Something else bothered the Count that Thrawn couldn’t catch on to, and now he wanted to divert from his previous task to find out what it was.

“Of course not, that was no issue at all.” He waved off Adlai’s concern with a flick of his hand. He hardly cared who was invited and who wasn’t. He wasn’t friendly towards half the people who were at his party, and they weren’t friendly towards him.

Being a Chiss played a large role in that.

He nearly began to explain why he was there to begin with, unannounced, but he was stopped.

Thrawn was silenced by a knock at Malvern’s door. On the other side stood Skye, not forgetting their conversation from the casino.

Though Eira did not wish for Skye to leave, she felt Adlai squeeze her side. It wasn’t forever. It wasn’t even for long. And so, Eira nodded, and played along with the damned game, “Thank you,” because she should appreciate any alone time they had.

And, admittedly, she had to brief Adlai on what was happening next, before she paid a visit to their DJ friend and set things in motion all around. “I’ll look forward to seeing you again, Skye.”

And she couldn’t help herself, “May the Force be with you.” Perhaps, in another place, that would have been enough to draw attention. But here? The smoke was heavy, the music and conversation drowned out much, and no one tended to care about questionable politics or religious beliefs here.

And she wanted to say those words. Jedi or not, the Force was still in play, everywhere – guiding, and helping.

~***~

Cora noticed, too. Eli knew he would, but it didn’t help the embarrassment he felt for not being able to relax. Perhaps it was strange to her that he’d be more tense now; perhaps it should be strange even to him, but he understood it.

He took a deep breath, and let it out slow, trying to relax his body as he did so. The tempo was momentarily lost, but there were no stumbling steps. Just a slow, as he slowed, before he built himself back up to the tempo of the music.

But when she asked him about it, she wasn’t accusing. Her lips threatened to smile, and that helped, “It’s less…distracting. And I’m more concerned about actually getting it right.” He stated.

In the group, it was sink or swim.

With just her? He only had her to focus on, and only her to judge, and that mattered more to him. “I know I was trying to get it right there, too, but I was able to sort of forget I was trying because of the environment, if that makes any sense.”

And there were distractions from him realizing how close they were, and how much he really was hoping to get it right, how much he wanted to impress her. He didn’t want to get foolish based on that desire and trip them both up and earn her ire instead.

~***~

Thrawn had no issues with his arrival – apparently. ‘So what do you want?’ Of course, asking such a thing directly may have been rude. He was unable to get to any further statement or question, before another knock came.

He laughed a little, “I’m sorry, Grand Admiral, I am expecting a few people today, you just weren’t one of them,” he indicated, moving around the Grand Admiral to the door.

He was hoping for Holdo or Rem; they’d know how to respond to something like this. Well, Rem would. Holdo he still wondered about, as did many in the Shah-tezh. No one questioned her loyalty, but much else was in question.

It was neither of them, of course.

It was Skye, and he made sure to open the door wide enough, so she would see who else was there before she said or did anything too stupid. “You must be Skye,” they hadn’t met. Where was his secretary? “I apologize, I do need a few minutes before I’m able to interview you. Are you all right with waiting in the lobby?” He asked, making a gesture.

Perhaps this could help him get Thrawn to leave sooner.

He didn't want to actually need her skills as a bodyguard today. And he also really hoped she hadn't brought a lightsaber.

Skye smiled and nodded. And they would see each other again soon, which Skye looked forward to. She wanted a chance to actually talk with Eira and discuss their paths freely and without a secret code. “And I look forward to seeing you again as well.”

She had begun to move away from the bar when Eira uttered a phrase that caused her to pause. A phrase she hadn’t heard in so long. She glanced back at the Jedi. “May the Force be with you,” she repeated.

Maybe the Force had brought them together for some reason. Maybe her time doing odd, felonious jobs were coming to an end. Well, she held some doubts for that, but she would see how things played out with them.

Skye looked at Adlai and gave him a mischievous wink before she made her way to the exit. Him, she would see much sooner than Eira.

~~

Cora offered Eli a comforting smile after he attempted to relax with a deep breath. She could recall herself being quite stiff in her first few dance lessons, something that dissipated over a few lessons. But these weren’t Eli’s first lessons; he had mentioned he had dance lessons a few years back, but he was just rusty.

“Don’t worry so much about getting it right. If you don’t, then I’ll help guide you. That’s why I’m here.” And she will help him for however long he needed, even if it did include some toes being stepped on.

She did her fair share in her youth.

“Yeah, that makes sense. There was a lot going on, and therefore you didn’t really get the chance to think too much on what you were doing.” Surrounded by superior officers. People wanting to talk to the holostar Eira. “But right now, it’s just us two. Nothing to get tense over.”

Just as she forced herself to not tense at the feeling of Eli’s hands, or the lack of space between them.

~~

Though he didn’t show it, Thrawn was slightly irritated that they had been interrupted, though it was expected for a man like Count Malvern. He had just hoped he could get the man alone for only a few minutes.

Malvern opened the door, and a petite, blonde woman stood on the other side. Her eyes widened when she noticed the Grand Admiral there, and she fought her reaction to run. That would’ve looked even more suspicious.

Interesting, Thrawn mused. Shock, almost fear. She must know of me, and for some reason I frighten her. He had yet another person to look more into later.

Her grey eyes shifted from Thrawn back to Malvern, and she nodded her head. “Yes, of course.” Her gaze flickered to Thrawn briefly before she turned to make her way to the lobby.

His eyes followed her retreating form, before he focused back on Malvern. “I apologize, I seem to have caught you as a busy time. I assure you, this won’t take long.”

Hands clasped behind his back as his eyes took in the tiny details of his office. “I am actually here to inquire a favor. Nothing major, I just need some basic information. After the party last night, I realized I had some...questions, that I needed to ask Miss Eira Nevan, and since I have no way of contacting her, I was hoping you would be able to provide me her information.”

He wouldn’t go into the nature of exactly what kind of questions he had. Count Malvern didn’t need to know that.

The saying was returned, and Eira leaned into Adlai, comforted both by his easy hold and the words. Even as she caught that ridiculous wink from Skye as she left them. Eira tilted her head up to look at him, “She likes you.”

Adlai smiled, looking down at her, that flush on his cheeks, “I gathered,” she was at least attracted to him. Whether it would mean anything, he didn’t know, “But wasn’t her sort always a flirt?”

“I’m not certain,” she hadn’t gotten that far in figuring Skye out, “Come, there’s some more to talk about, besides this,” and she pulled him away from their current location, to another, where they settled close to the show, and talked many hours into the night in their own coded language, the music drowning them out, and the way they stayed close convincing many that they were just discussing sweet nothings.

~***~

“Heh…,” Eli breathed out a slightly relieved sound as he worked his way back into relaxing, back into accepting that it would be okay to make an error or two. Cora was right. This was to help him, not for him to impress her. And he’d have to accept that help.

Which, right now, was to relax.

Even if he had a pretty girl in his arms who was better at dancing than he was. ‘Well, Faro did all right.’ The thought of Faro and Eira at least brought a smile to his lips. The thought was strangely helpful.

“I guess it can’t be anything like what Faro was feeling,” he thought a bit of conversation could help. He had managed conversation with her last night, while dancing, and that seemed to have helped, too.

Not to mention, he was supposed to be able to multi-task that way. Dancing was an opportunity to get close to someone, in more ways than one.

~***~

Skye left the area, and Adlai was able to shut the door once again. He moved back to his desk, but set his fingers atop it as he turned to Thrawn. He wouldn’t bother going all the way around right now, just to the side. Thrawn was intent to get to the point. ‘Eira.’ Eira had screwed up, then. ‘Or…?’ Another thought occurred.

It was possible that she hadn’t screwed up. Not in the fashion they all feared, anyways. It was possible that Thrawn was either besotted with her, or her intuition was right again and there was a good reason to get to know him. To practice his name.

Still, he didn’t like the way Thrawn was looking over his office. Separatist memorabilia hung around it, something he refused to be upset about, even as it mingled with Republic symbolism. “This actually is major,” Adlai pointed out, “You’re asking me to break Eira’s confidence by providing you with contact information she didn’t give you, herself.”

Celebrities had to keep such things under wraps. Stalkers were a problem.

Thrawn could get it anyways; Adlai knew that, and rather than withhold it, he gave a cheeky smile, “Fortunately for you, she seemed to have similar regrets last night.” He’d warn her, he’d have to, but he wanted to trust her instinct, her own strange desire to get to know Thrawn. “I almost wonder if I ought to be worried – she couldn’t keep your name out of her mouth,” he reached across his desk for his datapad and brought up her information.

He’d read it off, rather than offering Thrawn an opportunity to look over his datapad and copy it.

Cora could feel the tension slowly melt away from Eli. She wasn’t sure if it had been her own encouraging words or the slight distraction in the form of simple conversation when he mentioned Faro.

“I still can’t believe she actually did that.” She admired Faro’s bravery, for actually asking the holostar to dance, even after Cora thought it was clear that the Grand Admiral held an interest in her. “Do you think she will ever get over it?”

If not, then poor Faro would have to suffer through her crush. Even if she wasn’t already spoken for in a Count, then it had appeared to Cora that Thrawn would sweep in for his chance.

~~

Thrawn noted the Separatist memorabilia that decorated Malvern’s office. Quite a bold way to decorate one’s office. Count Adlai Malvern would definitely be added to his list, now he knew of the potential for discontent against the Empire.

As he displayed them so openly in his office, did Eira share any of these same sentiments that he would have to keep an eye for?

Malvern distracted him from scanning the office, when he mentioned the favor would be a big one. Thrawn gave him a bored stare. Wasn’t it obvious that he was no common fan or stalker? He was the Grand Admiral. Obviously this concerned important matter.

His brows furrowed at Malvern’s subsequent smile. Ah, a joke? But if he wasn’t lying, which Thrawn couldn’t detect, then Eira wanted the same thing. He suppressed the smile that threatened at the news. “I assure you, there is nothing to worry about.”

Her information was read out to him, and he memorized every bit without typing it out on his own datapad. For him, it was easy enough to remember. “I thank you for your help. I won’t keep you much longer, as it appears you are quite busy today.”

His thought went back to the woman who had interrupted him, and her shocked reaction, almost underlined with fear, at seeing him in Malvern’s office. Something was going on.

The morning had come only too early, but Eira Nevan was used to working on limited sleep. It was necessary, both as an actress, and in order to keep up with her other activities. Her personal trainer demanded to see her every other morning to make sure she was sticking to diets for her roles, as well as exercise routines. Not that it was difficult; Eira was ever-disciplined.

After meeting with her, it was off to see R.D. Shay and let her know what had occurred with Nadrine, and to begin to set the pieces in play. R.D. Shay wasn’t her manager in-person, but she worked with them fairly closely all the same, seeing to it that Eira could manage those ventures to places like Kashyyyk and others.

It was due to that close relationship that Eira was not expecting to see Darius Misch on set. She froze at the sight of him, conversing with the director, before she took a breath and steeled herself to walk forward.

The director heard her, and turned with a smile, “Eira! I was hoping you’d be in soon, I wanted to introduce you—”

“Darius,” Eira interrupted, a light smile in spite of the seething anger, “Yes, I know him.”

Darius kept that smile on his lips, “Very well,” he added.

“How is he assisting with the play? I thought we had everyone cast,” she thought she knew who she was dealing with.

“We did, we did, but I was talking with our writer – since we’re already trying to make this more modern anyways – and we thought it’d be good to have a second major Sith character, what with all that bologna of ‘only two’ – to get at the heart of their greedy and selfish nature, to have the Master and the Apprentice both vie for Cora’s loyalty with their own set of promises.”

“And they wanted someone who actually looked a bit tempting for the role,” Darius chuckled, “since that wrinkled mess we have for the Master isn’t appealing to any senses.”

Eira didn’t like this, at all, and she could feel Shay’s hand in it. She would speak with Shay about this later. For the moment, she made sure her smile wasn’t brittle, “I suppose we have the rewrites for the script already done?”

“More or less,” director Kresh answered, “We wanted to run a few of the additional scenes today and tomorrow to work out the kinks, see what kind of chemistry you two have, before we settle on it.”

‘Fantastic.’ Eira wondered how much improvisation Darius was going to get away with.

She wondered how hard she might be allowed to slap him, before she discarded the thought. “All right, let me see some of the scripts so I can start going over it and get an idea of what we’re considering.”

It was handed over, and she was able to take some time to herself to start flipping through it – before she called out to Shay.

“This is R.D. – how can I help?”

“Why is Darius here?” Eira asked, maintaining a calm tone.

“Easy, Eira,” Shay said, “We need to make sure many people see this, remember?” Eira let out a breath through her teeth. “We have a costume design planned to make him look like an Inquisitor. It’ll help in connecting things to the Empire and what they’ve done, and with his name, and your name, attached to the production, even those who don’t typically attend plays will be sure to show up.”

A design of the Emperor, and a design of an Inquisitor.

A design of Mace for a Jedi, as well.

They were going to do what they could to strike at old memories, and to craft new questions. Eira knew this, and knew she had to play along. “Think of it this way – your hatred won’t be an act.”

Eira sighed, “I don’t hate,” or she tried not to, anyways, “I would have preferred a warning, that’s all.”

“I know. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay,” she would drop it, “I’ll talk to you later.”

~***~

Admittedly, Eli found it hard to believe, as well. Karyn Faro was more bold than he gave her credit for. He didn’t know if it was how she’d always been, or if she’d just found some particular boldness for that night. These parties weren’t once in a lifetime events, but having Eira at one may have been – and she’d have that memory, forever.

“I don’t know,” Eli said, “I’m sure she will one day,” but probably not anytime soon. Even he’d admit that Eira had seemed mostly nice, mostly polite, with Faro. He didn’t see any interest on that side of things, which was likely disappointing to Faro. “It’s inspiring, though.”

She’d gone for something – even with all the odds against her.

Perhaps she hadn’t won Eira over, but she had still done more than most, gotten closer than most, and seemed to part on good terms. “Who knows, maybe Faro will get free tickets to shows from now on?” He chuckled at the thought, maintaining the tempo, “I really should see more live shows….”

If he was going to accept this culture, it’d be good for him to be more involved in it.

Dancing.

Seeing theater shows.

Things Cora probably liked. “Do you see much theater? Do you have a favorite?” the second question right on the heels of the first, and the one he was more interested in an answer to.

~***~

Thrawn was not easily amused, it seemed. His hard front didn’t falter much at all, and he didn’t jot down the information. Malvern hoped he messed it up in his memory, and he half-wished he’d said a number wrong himself. Thrawn could blame his own faulty memory, then. Malvern would insist he’d given him the correct information.

Which, unfortunately, he did.

“Thank you, Grand Admiral,” he said, as the man acknowledged that he was busy, and would be on his way. “I’ll see you out – I need to invite the woman out there in,” he had reason enough to step out, beyond simply making sure that Thrawn actually left.

He had to hope that Skye hadn’t run off. That’d be suspicious. He knew he may already be on thin ice. Or Eira might, which would eventually, potentially, implicate him.

Stars, why now?

Cora hardly believed that Faro would have a chance with Eira. She already had a Count on her arm, and no doubt countless people lined up for her. She wouldn’t say those thoughts, though, because it was clear Faro and Eli were good friends, and she wanted Eli to keep that inspiration.

For whatever it inspired him. She was about to ask him exactly what he meant by that, before he continued.

“Free access to shows would be nice,” she mused. “Maybe even those really nice box seats.” The ones reserved for politicians and high-ranking officers and royalty. Not her family. “I haven’t had the opportunity to see much theater in a few years, but I do enjoy it.” The academy and her first few years in the Empire didn’t allow her much time to indulge.

“My favorite though? That’s a tough one.” She hummed, her eyes shifting to nothing specific in the room as she contemplated on her answer, all while keeping the tempo with Eli. A few seconds later, she focused back on him. “I may be a bit bias, but one I absolute enjoy is The Stars of Azure, which was written on Anaxes. Naturally, it’s some cheesy love story, but I enjoy it. And what about you?”

~~

“Of course, and it was a pleasure to speak with you again.” And as he stepped out of Malvern’s office, he wanted to add I hope we see each other again soon. But he didn’t, because he truly didn’t want to.

But still, he had the feeling they would indeed see each other again. He thought that again as he the woman waiting in the lobby. Skye, he recalled her name. No last name had been mentioned. She still looked uneasy, and Thrawn gave her a brief nod as he walked out of the lobby and back to his shuttle.

Intriguing people indeed. But he distracted himself from them when his mind wondered back to Eira. Once on his shuttle, Thrawn pulled out his datapad and entered her information, so he could immediately begin typing up a message for her.

This is Grand Admiral Thrawn. As a follow-up for our conversation last night, I have a few questions I wanted to ask you, in person. Are you available today?

~~

Skye was sitting in the lobby when Thrawn emerged from Malvern’s office. She tensed slightly when they made eye contact, and when he gave that slight nod? She swore it was teasing, as if he knew something about her already.

He soon disappeared from view. The moment he did, Skye shot up from her seat and stormed pass Malvern into his office. Assumptions ran through her head at lightspeed. Did she make a mistake in coming here? Would he call an Inquisitor on her?

At least I didn’t come without my lightsaber.

“What the hell?” she hissed. “I thought you didn’t like him. I thought you were against the Empire.” She hadn’t considered that Thrawn arrived unannounced.

Cora was a fan of the theater. Eli had suspected it, though he knew that could have been his terrible bias of thoughts towards the Core. Still, he wasn’t upset to be right. It wasn’t bad to like theater, after all, and he waited for her answer.

The one she liked wasn’t familiar to him, and so he didn’t fully understand why she was biased – until she laid it out plainly as one from Anaxes, “Aaaah,” and it was apparently a terribly cheesy, romantic one.

He didn’t quite resist the urge to roll his eyes, though his smile was good-natured, “I don’t really know that one, so I can’t judge how cheesy it is, but I’ll take your word on it. I…,” he screwed up his face a moment, “I haven’t actually seen theater live. I’ve seen a few holofilms based on famous productions, and I’ve seen one or two holofilms of recorded theater, but I’ve never been to a theater.”

He considered what he’d seen on films, though. “I like The Accounting,” which, by name, sounded dull, “You’ve probably heard of it…it’s sort of a dark comedy.” About a son who gained power over his mother’s assets, as she descended into the last stages of a mentally deteriorating disease after putting herself and her family into debt to keep up reputations. How they managed to twist it into a comedy was still something that confused Eli, but he had found it amusing.

It had a level of sincere drama and compassion to it, the strained relationship of mother and son on fully display.

~***~

Adlai made sure that Thrawn was out of the door, a smile on his face all the while, and a farewell as he left. The expression dropped completely once the door was shut, and he turned back around to the room. To Skye, who was already storming off towards his office. He let out a sigh, but followed her, shutting the door after her and listening to her angry questions.

He moved to his datapad once more, picking it up, “I have concerns about certain activities of the Empire, and I have made sure those are heard,” Malvern lifted his gaze from the datapad briefly.

‘This is still a public office, Skye. Be careful.’ He couldn’t say that, but he hoped against hope she could see it in his gaze. In his posture. Feel his emotions through the Force – whatever would help to make it clear that he couldn’t say he was against the Empire, even if he was. “I also have no opinion on Grand Admiral Thrawn just yet. He wasn’t here for me.”

‘Or for you.’

He finished his message to Eira, “He was here for Eira, our mutual friend,” friend, perhaps, was not quite right, not yet, but he hoped that she understood. And would understand the own edge of concern in his voice.

Eira could be in danger.

She may not be, but the potential was there.

~***~

Eira didn’t like plenty of suggestions in the new script. Particularly the subplot of the Sith attempting to seduce Cora away from her own husband and her life. ‘Voids.’ She’d stomached things she didn’t enjoy in her career, particularly early on, but she was debating using the Jedi Mind Trick on the director, or the writer, or whoever, to make sure these suggestions never made it to the final cut.

Or making sure their chemistry didn’t work for it. Somehow.

Kresh wanted to run scenes to see what would be best, after all. She could flub those intentionally. Probably.

A message came up on her datapad from Adlai, and she checked it, expecting information on their project.

It was absolutely not that.

Grand Admiral Thrawn came by today and requested your information. I’ve given it to him. I don’t know why.

He didn’t need to spell out that there was danger; that was implicit in his words. Sending ‘Inquisitor’, even on a private message, had the potential of being flagged or recognized. Nothing was safe but codes, and even those could be broken.

Thank you.

That was all she needed to send back, and before she could set the datapad aside, another message came up.

Unknown number, but it was introduced in the opening sentence. Thrawn. He wasn’t wasting any time. He had follow-up questions? Eira considered how to respond to that for a few moments. Was she in danger?

No. No, she didn’t think so.

Yes, I have time today. We received an updated script to review today, but I’ve already reviewed most of it. When is good for you?

Eira rose, deciding she could at least use Thrawn’s message to avoid practicing those scenes today. Kresh wasn’t going to interfere with Imperial business from a Grand Admiral, which she confirmed when she brought the request to his attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back