• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

Cora had felt slight embarrassment at her wrong assumption, but she didn’t flush or outwardly show any embarrassment. Instead, a light smile appeared as she watched Karyn and Eli try and clear up the confusion.

Even if they weren’t together, they certainly held their own chemistry, albeit platonically.

Her eyes looked over in the direction of where Eira performed. Cora was about to join Faro in teasing the man over his celebrity crush, but she noticed how Thrawn seemed to focus his attention on the woman performing. Interesting.

“It looks like you may have to fight the Grand Admiral for that honor,” she commented, returning her gaze to Faro and motioning her head in his direction. If Faro still had the courage to ask Eira for a dance, then Cora would give her many credits.

Her attention shifted to Eli. “We can dance, though. I’ll be happy to help you finally put those classes to good use.” She offered a warm smile, and one hand reached out in her offer.

~~

Thrawn had entertained a few casual conversations as he waited, he was the man of the hour after all, but they all left his side after a few polite exchanges, either by finding someone else they preferred to mingle with, or due to the slight intimidating aura he gave off unwittingly as he watched Eira’s performance.

Most people didn’t seem to mind to leave him alone. And he was pleased that some didn’t bother him at like. Like Krennic or Governor Pryce.

The ease of the smile. The lack of tension in her face. She didn’t mind his continued presence, which Thrawn found pleasing.

“I apologize for staring, but the music has captured my attention. I still don’t quite understand it, but the melody of that last song hadn’t been unpleasant.” he meant full compliments in his words.

He took a pause, glancing around the room for something in particular. “If I may pull you away from the stage for a minute, would you care to walk with me?” Thrawn wouldn’t leave the room, but he heard people enjoyed offers of wine.

“What?” Faro’s head whipped around, first to where Eira was, and then to Thrawn, who’s fixation was obvious, “Oh void, he might actually be competition,” Thrawn wouldn’t be daunted by societal norms or obligations. It wouldn’t seem strange to him at all.

“I resent that,” Eli folded his arms over his chest, even if he was playing. A little. He also resented it. Even if Faro was probably right; Thrawn’s lack of social graces and hierarchical understandings might actually cause him to do such a thing, if he felt like dancing.

Which, would be odd.

And Eli would definitely have to ask about. Thrawn didn’t do anything needlessly.

Still, Faro now had a plan. If only because she’d said she would do it. She’d just have to be a bit…tactful. Wait until Thrawn was done.

And the other two? It seemed Cora was finally willing to step outside of her own norms, and Faro grinned. Eli’s posture relaxed a bit, “Are you sure?” Now he was the doubtful one, and Faro wanted to shove him at Cora, but she refrained.

Still, as the hand was offered, he didn’t hesitate long. He stepped towards her and took her hand, giving a nod. At least she’d understand if he was a bit rusty, as he led out to the space where others were dancing.

~***~

If Eira didn’t know better, she might have considered Thrawn enchanted. She doubted he’d heard stories of sirens, but the thought of teasing a little occurred to her. Nothing malicious seemed intended as he asked her to walk with him. His focus did not seem to be the suspicious sort at all. Even if it was, Eira wouldn’t have turned him down.

Couldn’t have, unless she wanted to feed such a thing.

“I would enjoy it,” she answered, quite meaning it, as well. He remained an interesting figure in the Empire, after all, and his inability to understand music was just…endearing, in a strange way. Were there not lullabies or songs in his culture? She was curious how his mind worked, to be able to appreciate the physical arts, but not the auditory. “But you must tell me your first name on the way. I’m afraid I’ve only heard you referred to as Grand Admiral Thrawn.”

She didn’t know of Chiss naming conventions, or that he didn’t quite have a ‘first name’ by human standards. A faux pas on her part, perhaps, but it had seemed everyone had a family name, and then something they went by, across many cultures and species.

Cora casted an amused glance at Faro. She really wanted to see the woman push her way past the Grand Admiral in order to ask Eira to dance. Then it would be a real party.

Eli’s voice brought her attention back on him. He was hesitant, maybe a little nervous, as she recalled he mentioned he hadn’t danced since his classes at the academy. Cora expected Eli to back out, and her heart dropped with the thought.

She hardly wanted to think about why. It was rejection. That was it. A normal, human response to rejection.

But he didn’t back out. Eli took her hand, his fingers spreading warmth up her arm. Cora followed him to the space, and she offered a comforting smile. “Don’t worry, I’ll help you relearn the steps.”

They began their dance, and Cora was vigilant in helping Eli correct his mistakes if he made any. Her steps were slow at first, almost a tempo slower than the music, but the alternative was to quicken their steps and risk them tripping over one another.

~~

Thrawn didn’t detect any hint of a lie in Eira’s words. From what he could gauge, with every body tick he calculated, she felt no pressure to accommodate his request for her company.

She was different than the Imperials he grew to understand by working beside them for so long, and yet he couldn’t quite point out what it was different about Eira.

Maybe it was merely her expertise and perfection in a field of art that remained shrouded in mystery for him that had intrigued her to him. But there was still something there he couldn’t quite figure out yet, and Thrawn would continue to get to know her until he did.

“On my planet, we, the Chiss, don’t have conventional human names. We typically have only one name made up of three different parts.” No human had yet called him by his actual name.

“Since it is normally hard for humans to be able to pronounce our names, we have a core name for ease outside of our home world. My name is Mitth'raw'nuruodo, but I will not take offense if you only refer to me as Thrawn.” Humans couldn’t understand the complexity of the Cheunh language, which extended into the pronunciation of their syllables.

He took no offense to her not knowing standard Chiss naming traditions. Many weren’t even aware of what the Chiss were. She may have been one of those who hadn’t heard of species before now.

Eli knew he must have flushed again, at least a little, “Thank you,” at least she had no further desire to embarrass him beyond what a dance would do. Her own reputation was at stake, of course.

He didn’t hasten to move with the tempo as her steps were slow. He let her set the pace, for those first few steps, his hand wrapped around hers, as his other held her waist gently. He knew he could guide a bit with his fingers on her waist, and he started to try to do to that, to add pressure to direct them to start to turn, rather than stay stagnate in their box.

At least he wasn’t stepping on any toes, as his confidence slowly grew, step by step, until he had stepped them up into the tempo of the actual song.

He still felt a bit stiff, though. Others around them were far looser – and some, a bit less refined, but they seemed to enjoy this part for more than just image. Perhaps they weren’t doing much more than the simple box steps, but they looked like they were enjoying it.

He let his attention shift from them, “Thank you,” he said again, “I, uh, probably need to work on this a bit more often,” he wanted to apologize for how stiff he felt, unsure how the others came about their ease. Practice, probably.

Practice helped with a lot.

~***~

The Chiss had a different convention for naming. Eira’s brows rose, intrigued, more than she was surprised. It was also, apparently, hard to say, which only made her focus more as he continued to speak, until he did say the name. She could see why people would struggle. There was a nuance, not so much to the sounds, but to the intonation. “Your native tongue is a tonal language, isn’t it?”

The pitch dropped on the third part of his name. If nothing else, music had given her a certain advantage with languages, though she wished she knew plenty others. “No wonder, I cannot imagine what it must mean if one pitches their voice wrong.” Tonal languages were difficult. Most didn’t hear the slight adjustment, just the sounds, not how the sounds were said.

“Do you prefer Thrawn or Mitth’raw’nuruodo?” She was fairly certain she had it right, matching his pitch and intonation as she’d repeated it in her head. She supposed he’d correct her if it was wrong, but she wanted to get it right.

It must have been a while since he’d heard it said by anyone else, after all.

Cora offered him a comforting smile in an attempt to ease the man’s nerves. It had been obvious he hadn’t danced before, and Cora helped guide him into the movements, with one hand in his and the other placed on his shoulder, and when he guided where they moved, and when they turned, she allowed him.

His confidence grew, and they soon danced to the actual tempo of the song. Eli still felt stiff under her touch, but she didn’t fault him for that. He had every reason to be nervous, as he danced for the first time in front of his superiors.

“Don’t worry,” she assured him, “You’ll loosen up and become more fluid in your movements as you practice more and attend more parties.” Cora just had an entire life of practice.

“Though if you wanted to practice more in your free time, I’m sure you can find a dance partner willing to guide you through the movement.” Cora imagined Eli would attend more parties like this one in the future, as he was now officially the aide of the Grand Admiral. He would need to get used to rubbing elbows with the elite and learn how to completely navigate their social circles.

Including learning how to dance.

~~

“I guess for you humans, you could say it is a form of a tonal language.” That term felt like it simplified the language too much, and the Chiss considered Cheunh to be a very complex language that was near impossible for non-native speakers to learn.

But, he admitted, the language had many tonal aspects to it. “Humans simply do not have the same vocal abilities as the Chiss, and as such, I never expect anyone to be able to pronounce my name correctly, even after much practice.”

Eira took her own shot at his name, to which he offered a smile. “Very good, Miss Nevan. Your first attempt was much better than the few who ever tried to pronounce it.” She still had been off with some of the pitches and intonations, but he admired that she even attempted his name to begin with.

Many didn’t even bother to ask him for his full name, content enough to refer to him as Thrawn.

“Like anyone else, I do prefer if people called me by my actual name, Mitth’raw’nuruodo,” he spoke again, repeating the name for her once more, “But I take no offense to the name Thrawn, as I realize it is easier for others to say.”

Eli’s flush was lighter under the compliment, but his smile was easier, not strained. “I suppose Thrawn can’t have too many more unless he gets promoted to Grand Moff.” Saying that made hi look over his shoulder, to make sure Tarkin wasn’t there.

He flubbed a step, but recovered, as he looked back to Cora. He’d not stepped on her foot, but he knew he’d nearly done so.

“Sorry,” he added, imagining discomfort at his error. He reclaimed the pace, “But we might have other victories that deserve celebration.” That much he was certain of. Thrawn was always winning and scoring victories for the Empire.

“Maybe I can ask Thrawn to help,” he teased the thought, only slightly aware of some rumors of them. It wasn’t true, of course, but the mental image of Thrawn trying to teach Eli how to dance amused even himself. “Or Faro. I guess she wasn’t taught…,” he frowned, considering that discrepancy between their academies.

He knew she hadn’t gone to the Core. “She’s going to be a part of all this and she doesn’t even know how to dance.” She was still, in theory, going to ask Eira. Which he didn’t quite believe. False bravado.

Then, he realized, “Wait, who do you practice with?” She had to have someone to maintain her skill, right?

~***~

Eira’s cheeks went florid at both the fact that she had failed to pronounce Thrawn’s name, and his use of ‘Miss Nevan’. She was nearly reminded of her years as a youngling, and her frustration that she couldn’t speak Shyriiwook. She had wanted to, so much, but her own vocals weren’t made for it.

Yoda had been amused. Or she thought he was amused, while she tried to explain that she was trying, and he told her that was wrong.

Do, or do not.

She could hear the error in his own pronunciation. She might have spent all night trying to get it correct, but fear of exasperating Thrawn held that in bay, “Please, it’s just Eira, I’m not an officer, there’s no need for that sort of formality,” she said, “I’ll have to practice your name in the future. I can hear where I’m wrong, but I’ll exasperate you long before I get that done, and this is still your party,” she chuckled, “Stars know what I just called you, anyways.”

But he hadn’t taken offense, and she wasn’t upset, either.

However it was what he preferred, and just as the foolish youngling who wanted to learn Shyriiwook so she could call her friend by her true name, she wanted to be able to do the same for Thrawn.

“Your name seems more plausible than my ever speaking Shyriiwook, though I’ve tried,” the addition seemed innocent enough, despite what the wookies had become. Her friend was long dead before they ever had to witness that, killed at the hands of Clone Troopers, though she knew they had taken a shot – and been able to fight back, a little. It was one of the few stories she knew, of what happened in any sort of detail. It was because the Troopers who remembered, had spoken of the beast with the lightsaber who didn’t go down.

Not for a while.

Cora felt no discomfort or embarrassment for herself when Eli fumbled. She only felt concern for him, even though any other elite in her shoes would’ve mocked him for the seemingly simple dance move.

But he was trying. He took classes at the Academy, and he hadn’t the opportunity to dance at a formal event, due to the hectic schedule of his direct superior. Eli Vanto was far busier than any of the elites.

“The Imperial elites will also find any excuse to throw a party, and working so closely with Grand Admiral Thrawn, you’ll undoubtedly be invited to more.” And both men could continue to look so dreadfully far out of their element.

She let out a huff of laughter when Eli’s comments on Thrawn teaching him to dance conjured an amusing image in her mind. Cora didn’t even know if Thrawn knew how to dance. “It sounds like Faro needs a teacher,” she mused, glancing at the woman in question before resettling her gaze on Eli.

He inquired who she practiced with. She shrugged. There was no one for her. “I don’t really have the need to practice. I grew up knowing these dances, so they came natural to me by now. Why do you ask?”

~~

As obvious as was the blue of his skin to the humans, the reddening of Eira’s face was obvious to Thrawn. She was embarrassed, although he had assured her there was nothing to be embarrassed about in the inability to pronounce his name.

But then she insisted that he simply call her by her first name. Did her last name bring forth certain emotions? In the Empire, officers were referred by their title and family name, and so he had assumed the custom extended over into the civilian sphere.

“I apologize, Eira. I am so used to only engaging with other Imperial officers.” And he would deign to remember how she preferred to be addressed, as she also anticipated that they would meet again in the future. “I look forward to how you progress on your pronunciation.”

It was endearing how she wanted to get that seemingly simple task done, when in reality, it was a near herculean effort for anyone who didn’t know the Cheunh language.

Eira revealed a new bit of information about herself. Did she sympathize with the wookies? Another note of interest to make on Eira Nevan. “I haven’t heard of many humans who attempt to learn Shyriiwook. What is it that interested you to their language?”

That much was true. ‘Bread and circus.’ He knew he’d heard that from someone who wasn’t a fan of the Empire. He couldn’t recall who, and figured it had been a comment more in passing – though they weren’t wrong. The extravagance was sometimes daunting, and frustrating, when Eli considered how so many places could use the money spent on this sort of thing.

But the Empire needed to celebrate its victories, too, right?

A system of rewards was useful in the larger scheme.

But he listened to her as she spoke of her history and growing up with this. He nodded, “So it’s like riding a speeder to you, then, huh?” A trick learned and not forgotten. “I thought you might have someone on the ship you practiced with; it’s going to be hard to find a partner on the Chimaera.”

He knew he could ask her, but she’d expressed she didn’t need the practice. Would it be right to ask her for further aid? Thrawn would probably say yes, “I know you don’t need the practice, but do you think you would be willing to help me? Until it’s as simple for me – only that long!” He wasn’t sure why he rushed to reassure on the timeline, except he couldn’t imagine she would want to continue this for too long.

And she was probably right – more parties were in his future.

~***~

Thrawn’s own error was not a strange one, although his addition of ‘miss’ had still struck Eira as strange. In truth, his formality would likely aid him with most he spoke with, although probably not the average citizen who didn’t go by surnames at all. She never had gone by Nevan. It was a name lost, and a name reclaimed, in the absence of alternatives. Her parents had allowed it.

It never felt like hers, though. Not the way Eira did.

“I hope I won’t inadvertently insult you the next time I try,” she said, wondering how many different words or phrases could be made out of his name. Wondering what it had meant to him. She’d had opportunity to pick Eira, and she had made it the polar opposite of Ae’lia.

At the bit about the wookies, she had no hesitation in answering, “Before the Clone Wars, I had a few friends among the wookies. I was always frustrated when I couldn’t call them by their actual name and had to use some butchered Basic,” she was still amused by the old memory. “I was young then, foolishly naïve into thinking I could make those sounds and control them. I could not, but many were entertained by it all the same.”

A light shrug, “I have always done well in the realm of entertainment.” Even when it came at her own expense. She didn’t have the pride so many others stars had. The Jedi had done well to train that out of her. She still accepted challenges, of course – but she was not a sore loser. “Do you understand Shyriiwook?”

The metaphor Eli offered was simple enough, but exactly so. She nodded, “Definitely like riding a speeder. Once you have your mother practice for hours at a time, you kind of start dreaming in dance steps.” Cora still didn’t understand the obsession with ensuring that her youngest daughter knew the moves of several popular dances. She could’ve been learning more about navigation and cartography!

But she was still on the Chimaera in the Survey Corps, was she not?

She shrugged. “I actually don’t talk to many people on the ship.” Eli desired a partner to train with, so he could look more socially respectable at future parties. Cora wanted to volunteer herself, but she had hesitated with her offer. What if someone saw her join Eli frequently? An officer from Wild Space?

Then he asked her that same thought. Cora nibbled her lower lip as he asked, and as she allowed herself a second to think.

There was something about Eli Vanto she couldn’t say no to. “Yeah, sure, I will be happy to.” She smiled, and noted how flustered he seemed in asking her. “And I will be happy to help you for as long as you need it.”

~~

Thrawn shook his head. “How can I be insulted when you are attempting to pronounce my name in a tongue you are not familiar with? If anything, I will be flattered.” He would note that Eira seemed to have a better grasp at some of the sounds and syllables than most other humans, a fact he connected with her music background.

Singing required great vocal and dictation skills. She utilized throat and vocal muscles that most never thought to use, and thus had the ability to say new sounds without nearly as much practice.

Eira told of her background with the wookies. Nothing terribly incriminating was said, but Thrawn questioned himself if she would still hold any attachment to the wookie race. If she did? Then she may be a future issue for the Empire. A shame, but a complete possibility.

“I have known a few humans to be able to speak basic phrases in Shyriiwook, although I’ve never heard of one speaking the language fluently before.” Anyone that did would be of great interest to him. They may be sympathetic to the wookie’s plight.

Thrawn shook his head. “I can’t say that I am able to understand Shyriiwook, although I have studied some of the traditional art the Wookies have created.” He enjoyed studying the art and culture of anyone considered na adversary. It was a fascinating insight into learning their desires and weaknesses.

“Are you able to speak anything beyond Basic? You seem to hold an interest in languages.”

Eli couldn’t help but laugh a bit at the image of dreaming of dancing in his sleep. It was an amusing, and slightly terrifying, thought, but he was familiar with it. He dreamt numbers. Endless numbers. “I think I understand,” he said with a nod.

He wasn’t quite relaxed in posture, but he was relaxing, hardly noticing how the song had changed except to adjust his steps to the tempo.

He did wonder at how she isolated herself, though. That wasn’t good – not for her, or for the crew. He probably should fix that, or help some way.

Though, she hesitated to agree.

He saw that. She still did, of course, “Thank you,” that was the right answer, “And if you need help meeting people on the Chimaera, I know most of them,” he offered, “I’m sure I could find someone with your hobbies or interests or…something,” he shrugged. With how long they could be on ships, and just amongst each other, it seemed unnecessarily cruel to spend all of that time with just herself.

Or mostly herself.

~***~

Thrawn had studied the art of wookies. That surprised her. She didn’t think anyone in the Empire cared about the wookies to know their art and culture. They were trying so hard to get rid of it, after all. It was among her least favorite things, and it was a world she couldn’t go to offer any semblance of aid, though she’d contemplated how she might go there for ‘moral boost’ for the troops.

Plans for later – when she knew how she might also help the wookies.

Though she was interested in why he looked into their art, she didn’t speak to that, but focused on his next question, “Yes. I know binary, of course,” it was almost a necessity, “And a few others. Mygeetese was necessary,” though most lurmen knew Basic, whether they wanted to or not, “but I also picked up shyriiwok, High pantoran – they have a lot of dialects – and Old Coruscanti, a useless but pretty language,” it hadn’t been useless in the Jedi temple, when she worked through holocrons and books, and when the flow of it always intrigued her.

It was part of the languages that made up Basic, and it was the building blocks of a few other languages, “I’ve learned to sing in plenty of others, though,” Oldspeak Basic and Ryl, among others. She didn’t know them fluently, or at all, in some cases, but she learned the rules for speaking them. “Has it been difficult to learn Basic for you?”

Eli’s laugh proved contagious, and Cora grinned at his laughter. He seemed familiar to what she said about dreaming of dance. Maybe he had his own torturous dance lessons, but instead on coding or something else, that remained with him in his dreams.

She nodded, but then his statement on helping her meet people seemed odd. Did she have to know more? Most of whom she worked with were older elites who never hesitated to insult Eli or Thrawn behind their backs. She could only take so much of it.

Instead of commenting on his offer, she followed up on hobbies. Did Eli Vanto even have time for hobbies?

“Well, maybe we share some hobbies. What do you like to do in your spare time?” Her mind couldn’t even begin to conjure what he may like to do, so Cora was certain she would be surprised by nearly anything.

~~

The slightest ticks in her facial expression indicated Thrawn surprised her with his bit of personal information. As the Empire strove to eradicate the Wookie culture, no one within it would both to learn more about the species.

But he cared. It aided in learning their strategies and potential insurgencies against enslavement. And it would be a pity for such beautiful art to completely disappear from the galaxy.

Eira wanted to inquire into that further, but she had elected to move on to the next topic. He had almost hoped she would ask him. Maybe another time.

He was impressed by her knowledge of languages. The languages one pick up in their life could tell a story of the person, and Eira’s listing of languages had certainly done that. Old Coruscanti? High Pantoran? And a bit Shyriiwook she had already mentioned?

Eira Nevan had a unique education growing up.

Thrawn allowed the conversation to focus back on him. It allowed his thoughts to process what he could possibly need to know about Eira. “A lot of Basic had been easy to learn, although some of the more colloquial expression still allude me.”

Eli still did a great job of helping him as his translator when something got lost in translation. It tended to happen with Imperial elites. “I would say with confidence that after joining the Empire, it didn’t take me very long to gain fluency with Basic.”

“Sudoku!” It was said too fast, and Eli realized that, a moment after it was said. It was a boring, solo, numbers game, and he was ridiculously good at it. “Well, I guess you probably could have guessed that,” he said.

He had other hobbies, of course, though many of them were activities he did on his own. Learning languages, examining the various trades going on, what was selling, what wasn’t, where, and why. Sudoku only helped him with his ability to work with patterns. “I’ve started to like puzzles of all sorts, though.”

Thrawn was partially to blame. He thought if he could put together a picture puzzle, perhaps he’d understand some of what went on in Thrawn’s mind. He was no closer to finishing that puzzle than he was to understanding how Thrawn’s mind worked. “I find some time for holofilms,” obviously, “but a lot of my hobbies are just kind of…boring to other people. Most people don’t want to hear when the doonium market booms or my elaborate theories about why, or humor my interest in the fickle market in general.”

He was still a trader at heart.

“Faro’s tried to tell me I should get into more games. Like, not hologames, though those are fun, I’m sure, but more…strategy games, like Risk.” Those required groups to play, “or card games.”

~***~

Thrawn’s skill in Basic certainly shone through in the conversation now. He didn’t stumble over his words, nor did he seem to pause overlong to gather his thoughts, or find the words for what he wanted to say. Eira knew that with High Pantoran, she would certainly take longer to find what she wanted to say. It had been a long time since she had anyone around to speak it with.

She still threw in holotapes or holocasts with it, now and then, to at least remember how it sounded. Thankfully, High Pantoran was the type most commonly used in the media of Pantora. Or, it was. The Empire didn’t seem to have much love of alien languages, either.

“Most who join with the Empire tend to pick it up rapidly,” they were forced to. Eira didn’t say that, though. “It does aid in communications across the galaxy to have one unifying language, after all,” she couldn’t fault the idea of having a way to communicate throughout the galaxy. Basic had been one of many trade languages they could have chosen, but Basic was known throughout.

It did make her wonder what would happen to those who couldn’t speak it – or if the wookies were an example of that. If others would suffer their fate, and be claimed beasts or monsters. It was only too easy to imagine it with the talz. “Though now I must know – do you know what I mean if I say we’ll burn that bridge when we come to it?” It was a mixture of common sayings, and one of her absolute favorites for its implications.

But would Thrawn be able to grasp that? Was he familiar with the other sayings of crossing bridges and burning them?

Cora couldn’t help but grin at Eli’s apparent enthusiasm. She figured someone with Eli’s interests would enjoy Sudoku, but his confirmation had been endearing, in a way.

“I enjoy puzzles too.” They aided in keeping her analytical and problem-solving skills sharp. She hadn’t thought of working with someone else on puzzles to also aid in teamwork, though it was an important skill to sharpen in their line of work.

She felt some sympathy for Eli, as he mentioned his hobbies were boring to others. “I understand completely. Some of my hobbies are so niche. There’s not many who will indulge me in talking about dabbling in writing programs to help with mapping new planets, or babble about the latest survey vehicle.” Cora stopped herself before she truly did start on either subject, or anything else that pertained to exploring planets.

“I don’t think I know anyone who doesn’t enjoy a good holofilm.” Did the Grand Admiral watch them? Maybe he was the exception. “I’ve enjoyed a few strategy games and card games.” They were useful in passing time back in the Academy, and Cora grew to enjoy them and how she was able to utilize her skillset into winning.

~~

Thrawn agreed with Eira. Once he joined the Empire, he had to pick up on Basic rather quickly, if he ever hoped on climbing the ranks the way he did. And it would be one less thing the elite Imperials held leverage over him for.

He still used the excuse for nuances in the language to keep Eli Vanto as an aide.

“It is certainly easier for communication if there is already a shared language between those who wish to trade.” Sy Bisti had been that lingua franca in the Unknown Region, and why he himself was able to get into the Galactic Empire, thanks to Vanto’s knowledge of the trading language.

But the empire looked down on those who weren’t able to speak Basic, an opinion that Thrawn did not share with them. Some, like the Wookies, were not physically able to speak Basic, although they could understand it, and the Empire had made it very clear their opinion on Wookies.

Thrawn tilted his head to look at Eira at her question. His brows scrunched at the string of words together. Individually, he knew what they meant, but as a sentence? He was clueless. “I admit, I am quite baffled by the phrase. I assume you’re not literally talking about burning a bridge?”

The phrase sounded familiar. He had heard some other officer say it in passing, but he didn’t quite recall what it had meant. “Please, explain this for me.”

Last edited:
Cora liked puzzles. That was good. She might be able to help him with his current project, though he’d wait to ask about that. He still wanted to try and finish it for himself, after all.

But, when she mentioned the topics she found interesting, he allowed a smile to grow again, a bit sly, for he understood what she meant. “I’d be interested in the writing programs,” he said, “I was on the survey corps, and I know how important it is to map planets. The more we can find, the more we grow as a galaxy, and the more places we can travel to, trade with, and interact with.”

The better they understood their galaxy and what was out there – but he wasn’t aware of writing programs as a way to do that. He could at least humor that.

The survey vehicles, admittedly, didn’t interest him that much. The Chimaera and other ships didn’t interest him that much, but he knew them, inside and out. It was better to strategize that way, after all. He needed to know exactly how much firepower they had, and how much space they took up.

“What games do you like?” Eli asked. “I seem to need suggestions to try out,” he knew a few card games. Enough to deal with Thrawn when he decided to walk right into a gambling trap at the Academy.

At least he’d been one step ahead.

~***~

Thrawn tried to take a few moments to grasp the meaning, but it was evident that it eluded him. She did wonder if there were any similarities in sayings between the Chiss and humans. This, it seemed, was not one – not that she expected it. “You are right. At least, usually it wouldn’t refer to a literal bridge. It requires knowledge of two other sayings – ‘we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it’ and ‘don’t burn your bridges’.”

Eira said, but she wouldn’t leave it at that. That didn’t explain what that phrase meant. “Saying ‘we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it’ is stating an awareness of an issue, say, knowing you’ll have to answer to a superior officer about an action that is unorthodox. You have accepted that it is something that has to be done, but there is no point dwelling on it in the moment. You’ll deal with it, when you get to it, more or less.”

She figured that was the best way to explain that one, “‘Don’t burn your bridges’ is used as a warning not to cut off ties or opportunities in a fit of emotion. It’s advice to settle down and consider things more, because bridges – or in this case, connections to things and to people – are important to maintain, and you must choose which ones to burn carefully.”

Putting the two together likely made little sense. That was part of the fun, “So the saying of ‘we’ll burn that bridge when we come to it’ is basically accepting that there are opportunities and obstacles ahead, and you will, inevitably, mess it up when you arrive at that point.” It was used frequently by pessimists, or those who were simply done with the current situation they were in, and what they were heading towards.

“Though my preferred use of it is in sarcasm to make people stop asking questions about the future,” she admitted.

Eli continued to surprise Cora with every new thing they learned about each other. She hardly thought that he would have any knowledge of writing programs, but in fact, he seemed genuinely interested. “Maybe in the near future, we can discuss these programs more together.”

Her second indication of the evening that hinted at wishing to see Eli again. A fact she was aware of, and would’ve cared about had anyone actually paid them any attention. But as far as Cora could tell, everyone was focused on their own evening, schmoozing to other officers, enjoying the food, or drinking too much wine.

Even if someone had been watching the, she couldn’t find it in herself to care. Eli was quickly proving to be a far more interesting conversationalist than many officers she had talked to in the past.

“Games I like? Hmm, let me thing,” she mused. Her hand on his shoulder lightly adjusted its position, as her fingers habitually brushed out a small wrinkle she spotted. “I know Risk is one I have enjoyed playing in the past with a small group of people. And, no surprise, Galactic Expansion is another one I enjoy a lot.”

Her third suggestion for the evening, “I can be a willing partner if you ever want to try out a new game.”

~~

Thrawn was about to ask Eira to explain the two sayings for him, but before he could, she already did so, as if she knew he needed further help on those particular colloquialisms. They were...intriguing, was probably the best way he could describe it to himself.

“Do people normally combine two phrases into one?” That wasn’t something he had encountered before. In his native tongue, while they did have their own colloquialisms like Basic did, none required the combination of two distinct phrases.

Their language was already complex enough. Such a thing would further complicate the grammar beyond what was necessary.

“I’ll have to try those sayings out on Commander Vanto. I’m sure he would love to hear me attempt utilizing them correctly.” And proceed to laugh if he did use them wrong, but Eira’s explanations gave him hope he would be able to not mess it up.

Her admittance of the use of sarcasm caused him to chuckle lightly. “I can see how that would be very useful in some situations.” Thrawn had easily grasped the understanding of sarcasm in Basic, and he enjoyed using it in a few situations, such as dealing with politicians.

“Tell me, were you always interested in pursuing a career in music? Or did something else once held your interest?”

Eli’s brown eyes cast themselves down momentarily as he felt her fingers brush over his shoulder. He didn’t know why, but she didn’t remove her hand or take any offensive action, so he decided it was likely nothing.

Maybe a bug landed on his shoulder – even if the thought of a bug amongst all this crystal was ridiculous.

Cora was surprising him, though. She agreed to help out with his dance. She agreed to further conversation. She agreed to play games with him. Was she more lonely on the ship than she’d let on? His ego wanted to suggest she found him likable, which, of course, had to be true – but he still felt a desire to squash that. Eli didn’t sense any malevolence, and he was usually good at picking that up.

Better than Thrawn, anyways, when it came to politics.

So he allowed his posture to ease, “I think Galactic Expansions could be fun. That’s a holo-game, right?” From what he knew of it, it used historical figures throughout the history of the galaxy, and let them attempt galactic conquest. He knew there was one coming out in a year or so that had the Emperor in it. He wasn’t really sure who else would make an appearance.

“And Risk – but Risk sounds like we’d need a few more people.” Risk was also a game Faro had suggested. She thought it might be fun to get some of the Bridge crew on board and convince Thrawn to play.

Perhaps Galactic Expansions could have more, but he could imagine it played with just a couple, easier, “Although maybe to make sure I can actually beat some of the others, I could practice with you, first,” he added. He hadn’t realized he’d started slowing his steps, forgetting that they were dancing, “I’ll definitely take you up on those offers to learn more games.”

~***~

Thrawn seemed to take in the meaning of each well. She didn’t know this Eli Vanto, but made note of his name as someone who must have been helping out Thrawn with his language. “It’s not terribly common. I have confused native speakers with the saying, as well,” Eira allowed, “although native speakers tend to catch on to the meaning,” context clues and familiarity played into it, of course.

His next question was one she’d faced before, of course. People always wanted to know if she had believed in her talent so much, that she had always wanted to do that. She had the standard interview answer, that she had always thought such a thing would just be a hobby, and she was usually able to leave it at that without speaking of her former aspirations.

Something told her that strategy wouldn’t work here. Thrawn, for not knowing the language as well as he liked, was keenly aware of it due to that.

“I had anticipated such things would be a hobby, in truth.” She did begin with that; it was true. “I had other aspirations prior to moving into the entertainment realm – loftier, if you can believe that,” for what was loftier than wanting to be a star, beloved by many?

Jedi.

It wasn’t a word she could say, “Living through the Clone Wars always made me wish I could find work as a peacekeeper or humanitarian, but that kind of work seems to require money, rather than provide it. In the end, I’ve decided to use the majority of my funds for things relating to humanitarian causes. The Empire has reached far, but I’m sure you know that there are still plenty of planets out there that require aid, and the Empire is yet a new institution in the scheme of things.”

That much was true. She had one ship. She had one home – an apartment, rather than a mansion. She kept up with appearances, of course, and retained a comfortable emergency cushion that was likely more than most people would see in their lives, but so much of her excess went towards those humanitarian relief projects.

Or rebel agendas.

"Was a military career always what you imagined for yourself, Grand Admiral?"

Eli seemingly agreed to the game she mentioned. That made her happier than she had expected. You’re just lonely, Cora. Nothing more. But they had enjoyed each other’s company that evening, right? At least she did. She couldn’t tell what was going through Eli’s mind.

“Yes, a holo-game that’s fun to destroy friendships over.” The playful smile that crossed her face indicated jest in her words, even though she knew she the game could get intense. At least, when she’s playing, it could.

She shrugged. “Maybe only another person or two. With promise of alcohol and food, people will come running.” Did his friend Faro enjoy these types of games? Cora imagined that the other women would at least attempt the game for offer of free food.

“I’m glad you will.” Cora had noticed they slowed down. Did Eli want to stop? Did he want to stop dancing with her? She knew she needed to stop thinking of ridiculous thoughts. It was one dance, and nothing more. “For someone who has never danced at one of these parties before, you sure are doing well.”

~~

Thrawn’s impression was that Eira seemed to enjoy confusing her fellow humans with the combination of colloquial phrases for reasons he couldnt’ quite fathom. To confuse them for the sake of a joke? She did mention she enjoyed sarcasm, was this another form of it for her?

He carefully listened to her answer, and while he wanted to simply enjoy her conversation, his ind made note of every word, and read in between the lines of her answer.

There was still something about Eira he couldn’t quite put his finger on. Maybe it was nothing more than his Imperial training looking for trouble in every corner.

“I can’t imagine much more being loftier than a star admired by many.” He could, only a few, but nothing about Eira screamed Jedi at him.

She elaborated further, which put his mind at ease for the time being.

“That is a very noble admiration of yours. Many wish for peace, but so few will do anything to help achieve such a goal.” The Empire claimed they will do that; achieve peace where the Republic could not. Even he had his slight doubts with that, but no one would ever know.

Thrawn held his own opinions of the Empire and their ultimate goal, opinions that some may deem treasonous or blasphemy. “I knew I wanted to help my people. In the past, I saw how the Republic failed those who truly needed their help, and a few years ago, I was offered the opportunity to join the Empire and truly help my people and make a difference for others in need of help.”

Eli had definitely heard of a few of those games, though that comment was usually one spoken in jest to suggest both the difficulty and involvement those playing got from it. Which had the potential to evoke passionate responses. Thankfully, he didn’t think either of them would be flipping any tables over a game, but then again, he didn’t know how involved Cora could get.

Well, he’d find out, wouldn’t he?

His smile remained steady until she called attention to the dance, “Huh? Oh!” He realized his steps were matching the beat any longer, and he wondered if this was her way to draw his attention back to it. He laughed a bit, his hand inadvertently squeezing hers as he stepped up his pace again to match the tempo, “Sorry, I got distracted talking with you. I’m not good at dancing and talking at the same time,” sure, she’d complimented him, but he had still messed up.

“Thank you – I’ll get better,” at both talking and dancing. “And it sounds like we have a good way to possibly bring some of the crew together in the future. A game night. After we’ve figured out the games,” he winked, “so we’ll have an edge.” Shit did he just wink? He just winked.

~***~

Eira shook her head at Thrawn’s statement, “No…most do good,” she still believed that, “most just don’t have the ability or knowledge to do so on a wider scale. Without money, I hardly would be able to do so much,” perhaps she was too forgiving of the apathy of others, but life was…hard.

And the Empire did a good job of making sure people didn’t know how things were, outside of the Core.

Thrawn had found a way to try and do good for his people, although Eira couldn’t help but wonder where the Chiss were, if the Empire was helping them. Certainly, something to file away and follow-up on, but it was far too personal a query for a first meeting. The Chiss weren’t here. It implied several layers of secrecy. “I am glad that you have been able to find your way to helping those dear to you, and others, just as well. With your continued successes in the Empire, I am certain you’ll be given further opportunities to help more.”

She could hope, anyways, that he would truly intend such. She didn’t sense any duplicity from him, and she knew that plenty did wish to help, and saw the Empire as the way. And some of what the Empire did was good – but not all. Not even most.

“I’m sure I’ll be at more parties for your successes in the future, at least,” she smiled, “though I suppose not if I don’t do my job,” she’d heard the instruments start up again. She knew she didn’t have to go back immediately, but it seemed an easy way to part once more, and leave him to others.

Before she considered pressing for anything deeper.

Cora was amused by Eli’s response of her bringing attention to his lack of dance. It was almost endearing. He reminded her of a puppy or maybe a young boy eager to please. Something told her he wouldn’t enjoy being called a puppy.

Not that she blamed him.

She swore her heart skipped a beat when he squeezed her hand. It was just an accident, right? You have no reason to act like a simple schoolgirl who has never been touched before.

“It is a skill that will come naturally with more practice. All the reason to practice in your free time, isn’t it?” If she were to help Eli with his dance skills, as well as teach him about the games they’ve discussed, Cora was aware that they would be spending a lot of time together.

He winked at her. She didn’t know how to respond to the wink. Her mind blanked for a second, for reasons she didn’t want to think about. “It sounds like we’ll have much to discuss together in the future.” Dancing. Games. All innocent topics.

~~

She has a romantic heart. Thrawn wanted to believe that most do good, or wanted to do good, but he has been proven wrong before. True evil existed in the galaxy, and those sorts never wanted to do what was good for the galaxy or their people, but only for what was best for themselves.

He deign to say no more on that topic. He wondered if he would be able to change her mind without showing her what he saw on a daily basis, between the wars, the insurgencies, and the individuals who only acted in their own self-interests.

“I’m sure I will as well, just as I’m sure you’ll continue to do what it is that brings you happiness.” Which he had now surmised was more than performing for others.

Thrawn couldn’t imagine always being the center of attention that way, even if by simple nature of being a Chiss in a sea of humans brought him enough attention. He didn’t care for it, but he did with it what he could. Play with the Imperials like pieces on a holochess board.

The instruments started up, signaling she had to leave his side soon. Thrawn offered her a polite smile. “Maybe our future encounters will be at more than such parties as this one. I intend of making an appearance at the museum exhibit next weekend. I trust that you will be there as well?”

“Yeah – you’re right,” Eli agreed with the sentiment. His current lack of skill was indeed more reason to practice, especially with a partner as forgiving as Cora. She wasn’t at all upset with him slowing down, or at least, she wasn’t showing it, and she picked the pace back up as he renewed it.

He did see how her expression blanked, though. ‘Shit.’ He messed it up with the wink. He shouldn’t have done that. He’d have to be more aware of what he was doing. Thrawn told him enough that he sometimes wore his emotions too obviously, and he should know that he and Cora weren’t at any point to be sharing conspiratorial winks.

He managed not to tense, or pull away to retreat, though. Cora didn’t offer any haughty words, either.

She just…agreed.

And seemed encouraged by their future plans.

“We will,” he agreed, “and we’ll probably find more, too.” He looked forward to that. To sharing activities with Cora, and learning more about her, as well. He was curious about the places she’d seen, and indeed, the writing program. Curious about her way of life before coming here. There weren’t many from the Core who were willing to spend an excess amount of time chatting with him, or many that interested in worlds beyond the Core and their issues.

~***~

Eira inclined her head. She would, indeed, continue to do what made her happy. Nothing would stand in her way any longer. Not the Jedi. Not the Empire. There was something liberating about answering to none of them.

She paused in their walk, and stepped back, “Yes, I will be,” she agreed. This weekend, then. She knew she had planned on it, the day Breha Organa intended to be there. Count Malvern had made promises to introduce them. She would have to let the Count know of their guest. Many Imperials were expected to make an appearance at some point, but she still needed to single out those of note.

Thrawn was definitely one of note.

“Saturday,” she offered, so he’d know which day to see her, before she would turn to part from his side.

She didn’t make it all the way back to the stage, though. Lieutenant-Commander Faro, true to her earlier word, found the courage to approach, grateful in some ways that Thrawn proved not to be an actual obstacle. “Excuse me?”

Eira paused to look to the officer, and Faro’s throat momentarily tightened, a ‘holy shit’ moment registering, before she pressed on. “I was hoping – if you had a moment – that I could ask you to dance?”

Eira couldn’t help the smile that teased onto her lips, “Well, I do have a moment for you to ask,” she prodded lightly. “What’s your name?”

“Karyn Faro, ma’a—Miss—”

“Eira. Just Eira.”

“Eira, ma—sorry,” Faro couldn’t believe she was already making a fool of herself. “Would you like to dance?”

Eira gave a nod. Someone that bold to work through their anxiety deserved it, and honestly, she didn’t get asked much at these things anymore. Nerves. And most knew she could dance circles around them. “But I lead.”

Faro couldn’t help the startled and relieved laugh, “I wouldn’t dream of it!”

Cora nodded. “Yes, I’m sure we will.” She would have to rely on who Eli knew for that. She couldn’t imagine the stuffy older Imperials she work with to be into any sort of those games. They would probably demean them as nothing more than foolish child games or as Outer Rim trash if they caught wind of who else enjoyed the games.

Yet she still wanted to impress him, but the more she talked to Eli, the more she realized how ridiculous their views were at times. Was she destined to be like them? To be like her parents?

Cora willed herself to not think anymore for the moment of the prejudices she was raised to believe. Eli, while a bit inexperienced, proved to be great company, and appeared to think of her the same way, by the fact he also expressed an interest in seeing her again, where she would be able to teach him more about dancing and strategy games. More opportunities to be close.

“So, you’ve now had a taste of the Imperial parties, what do you think of them so far? And if you don’t like it, doesn’t worry, I won’t tell anyone.” As Eli had done earlier, Cora winked.

~~

Thrawn inclined his head as they bid each other goodbye until Saturday. He was aware of the pressure to allow others to be able to come up to him and talk to him, and chatting with Eira more than necessary would not allow others to approach him.

Really, it was a party for him. He should talk to whomever he pleased. Fickle human society.

His crimson gaze watched her walk away. He made note of what she had told him during their conversation, and later, after the party, he would begin his research for more information concerning her and her home world. Thrawn couldn’t help the nagging sensation that there was something else about her she wasn’t tell him, but right now, he had no more proof than his overcautious military mind.

His gaze was still on her when Lieutenant-Commander Faro approached Eira. Interesting. Now for a different reason, he continued to watch her, observing this interaction from a slight distance.

Throat constricting. Hands clenching and shaking. His officer was nervous, but for what?

His question was answered a moment later. The two ladies started dancing. His brows furrowed as he tried to decipher if this was a part of another human convention he knew little about, or if...I didn’t realize Eira preferred women.

Thrawn decided he would need to ask someone else about this moment.

Eli rolled his eyes at the question. He’d been to Imperial parties before this one. “I’ve had a taste of dancing at an Imperial party,” he clarified. He hadn’t done that before. And he supposed, he hadn’t had roe before, “and tried some new food,” he had new food before, of course. There always seemed to be something new.

So, he concluded, “It’s gone better than other parties,” where he’d mostly been glued to Thrawn’s side. Or asked to betray Thrawn for power. Or otherwise bothered at the parties by people he didn’t want to interact with at all. “They’re not terrible, they’re just…I don’t know, they feel so…,” he struggled to find the word he wanted.

They weren’t bad. They weren’t completely wasteful. They were just, “…hollow? Like everyone here doesn’t really want to be here, they’re just posturing.” It was hard to make connections. Not like the few parties he went to back home, or even at his first Academy which didn’t force him to learn how to dance (although, apparently, it should have done so).

Perhaps he was being a harsh critic, though, “Or maybe I just don’t understand them. You’ve gone to a lot. How do you feel about these events and parties?” Perhaps he should be less paranoid about these sorts of things, but given what he knew of politicians now, he worried about letting his guard slip.

~***~

Eira did not lead often in dances, but she knew how to quite well, and aptly. She could read Faro easily, her nerves were on display, and so she did not make any bold steps at the outset, but let her get a feel for the steps, and for the ways in which she would guide – light pressure to her hand, or to her waist.

Faro had enough military training to pick-up and follow cues, it seemed.

“Faro,” Eira spoke again, utilizing the surname, “are you a friend of the Grand Admiral?” She couldn’t quite imagine Faro was there because she ranked highly enough. Her rank was displayed prominently on her attire.

“Oh, I wouldn’t say that. I work with him on the Chimaera.” Faro’s voice still held some nerves, and her eyes looked down.

“Chin up,” Eira said, and Faro tilted it up. Despite the height difference, it now allowed her to look at Eira. Faro hadn't quite realized that Eira was so short, “Trust me. I’m not going to let you slip up.” The curve of another’s hand, of another’s waist, were like the curve of her lightsabers. Natural, smooth, easy to control.

Faro relaxed a bit, and managed a light smile, “So…why did you agree?”

“I never get to dance at these things anymore,” she chuckled, “People seem to think they have to be skilled or of a certain appearance. They’ve forgotten dancing is meant to be enjoyed,” like art, like music, like so much else. Skill was a bonus, but more than that – it should be pleasing. “Why did you ask me, Faro?”

Faro blushed, in spite of herself, “I was telling Eli to do it, and he wouldn’t, so I volunteered to do it.” That sounded bad, “I mean, I wanted to – but I don’t think I would have mustered up the courage without…that.” That small self-dare.

“Would this be Eli Vanto?”

“Thrawn mentioned him, huh?”

“Yes,” Eira smiled, and then indicated, “All right, just follow my lead here.”

“That’s what I’m—” Faro stopped short of completing that sentence as she was guided out in a spin, and drawn back. It was startling, but it hadn’t been too quick, or too sudden. She laughed, slightly exhilarated when she returned to Eira. “Now I wish these uniforms were dresses.”

Dresses were made for spins.

“You looked lovely,” Eira said instead, and was amused as Faro’s flush deepened a little further. She was cute. An officer with so much humility and self-consciousness. She couldn’t be from the Core. Not that Eira would make a point of calling that out.

She’d linger in dance and conversation for the song, but she made sure to end it on a high note, which had Faro flushing delightfully once again as she dipped the other woman low. Certainly, people would be bothering Faro after the dance, and Eira left with a smile and a wave, to resume her musical set.

Last edited:
“Oh? Better than other parties?” There was a teasing glint in her eye. “Is it because you have a decent dance partner?” Cora wouldn’t tease him any further than that, but she kept the sly smirk on her face.

She agreed with Eli and his observation of how he felt about the parties. They were hollow, she supposed. It was largely an excuse for rich people to intermingle with other rich people, even if she had attempted to use the parties to further her own position in the Empire. She would hardly be the first.

Cora shrugged. “Maybe you’re right.” Her voice lowered, so she was careful to not speak loud enough for someone to easily overhear. “They can be pretty shallow, but they’re almost a necessity if you wish to get anywhere or navigate the elite life in any way.”

These people gossiped. They noticed if someone prominent failed to make an appearance to a party. Cora has remembered much of the gossip on other families growing up in similar ballrooms.

“They’re a necessary evil, but I try and focus on the food more, even if my brothers made fun of me for that growing up.”

~~

Thrawn, though knowing he shouldn’t continue to stare, could help his gaze that remained on the dancing forms of Eira and Faro for a few more seconds. Faro appeared as nervous as Thrawn had surmised, almost amusingly so, but Eira acted as her complete antithesis.

She moved with elegance that he should have expected from one so in-tuned with the performing arts. Her training in music translated well into her steps, as she guided Faro along with her.

He looked away when he finally realized how long he had watched them. The level of attention he was giving her bordered on the ridiculous and normally only given to enemies, or others he wanted to delve deep inside the mind of for his own gain.

There was something about Eira that persisted in the back of his mind. Thrawn would need to look more into her, and see if there was truly anything worth noting, or if she had caught his attention for reasons he didn’t wish to think about.

Thrawn needed to distract himself. Tarkin had finished up his battle of sarcastic wit with Director Krennic, from what he could see, so he made his way over to the Governor, someone familiar to him amidst the sea of strange faces.

“I trust you have managed to check in on the Director well enough?” He echoed Tarkin’s earlier parting words before stalking the man.

Thrawn had overheard earlier bets being placed on who would put a blaster bolt through the other’s skull first. He had his credits on Tarkin shooting first.

Eli ducked his head a bit at the comment, paired with that sly smirk. He understood the tease, and his slight embarrassment was the only answer to the affirmative he would manage for that. It was part of the reason, after all. Even if he may not have claimed to like dancing as a hobby, he enjoyed it in these circumstances.

It was an easy way to talk to someone uninterrupted at one of these parties.

Usually by now he’d be interrupted.

And Eli knew the truth, “I know. I made sure Thrawn knows.” He added. He understood the necessity of it, but, “I’m not going to advance anywhere from these things, but Thrawn will,” and as Thrawn moved higher, he moved with him. Eli knew that. Thanks to his own choice of a friend, over politics, he knew he was doomed to Thrawn’s fate.

For better, or for worse.

Thankfully, right now it was for the better. He considered asking where it was she wanted to be, but focused instead on her siblings. “How many brothers do you have?” He had no siblings himself – so of course, he’d wondered how it would be to have him.

And he’d felt the weight of responsibility for the company, even if he had cousins.

~***~

Wilhuff Tarkin had finished with Director Krennic some time ago. He’d spoken with Yularen since then, and was found after he picked up a glass of dark Chandrilan raava by the Grand Admiral himself. He took a sip of it as Thrawn inquired of his business. “Yes, I have touched base with the Director about his recent setbacks to ensure he won’t be complaining about those again,” given he had the time to show up here.

Of course, it wouldn’t have helped Krennic’s political appearance if he hadn’t done that, and Krennic was barely tactful enough to remember that.

Barely.

“It seems you have found time to part from Savit’s guest,” he had noticed Thrawn’s attention, both with the dance, and when Eira had just been playing. He had wanted Thrawn’s attention on her, of course, but rather like Savit he considered the attention might not be what was desired. Of course, Savit had no idea the concerns Tarkin had over the matter, what he knew of the play, what he knew of who Eira saw.

Which planets she chose to visit for outreach.

He had nothing solid, much as he had nothing solid on Bail Organa or Mon Mothma, but he knew who to watch, and he knew they would slip. They always did.

Cora gently squeezed his hand when she noticed the light embarrassment evident on his features. She found it adorable the way he reacted to her words, and she entertained the notion of prompting another response like that one from him.

But the conversation moved on.

“One day you’ll get what you deserve from your years of unwavering loyalty to help Grand Admiral Thrawn and the Empire.” The Chiss couldn’t move up much further than his newest ranking, but Eli still had much to gain. Surely Thrawn could put in a good word for Eli? Or maybe with Thrawn’s recent promotion, his own wasn’t far behind.

Cora resisted the urge to roll her eyes at the thought of her brothers. Her entire life, they have proved to be quite a handful. “Two older brothers who love to torment me, and an older sister whom I have a decent relationship with.” But she had married when Cora left for the Academy, so neither had seen one another in a few years.

“What about you?” she inquired. “Do you have any siblings?”

~~

Thrawn was certain Tarkin had done just that with Krennic. That night, their petty rivalry favored Tarkin. Like most other nights. On occasion, Krennic did manage to get the last word in on Tarkin. Either situation always provided such great entertainment for Thrawn to watch from the side.

“Of course. It would be impolite to socialize with only one guest for the evening at a party thrown in my honor, would it not?” Tarkin had more on his mind than just what he said. Thrawn knew to be careful around the governor, though he couldn’t be completely suspicious of everything he said.

Governor Tarkin had been one of the people who vouched for his promotion. He had been one of the few who didn’t treat him poorly due to his being an alien.

Thrawn would continue the topic though, and see if he could gauge what the man was thinking in regards to Eira. “She is rather fascinating though, isn’t she? Eira seems to be rather gifted in the performing arts.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back