• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

Cora smiled with pride as Eli did indeed verifying that he liked the cake that she always loved growing up. It made her happy that despite the way her family has acted, he could enjoy one thing about her homeworld.

“It’s called a sirpar cake,” she answered. “It’s named after a tree common here on Anaxes, though I have no idea why.” She chuckled with a shrug of her shoulders. “The two have nothing in common except for both being uniquely Anaxes.”

“It’s just been part of Anaxes cuisine for generations now,” Rosa added with a nod. “And it’s one of my favorite desserts as well.”

But no one was going to deny that they were eating it because they knew Cora would request it.

“Do you have anything similar back home?” Cora wondered.

~~~

Skye smiled as his lips met hers, and even though she didn’t want to pull away, she did, the smile not once waning from her face. She wouldn’t complain anymore about not simply sinking back into the bed - they had a long day ahead of them seeing Serenno and those close to Adlai.

She knew how to be patient.

And so with Adlai’s parting words, Skye headed back towards her own room, where she freshened up in the refresher and slipped into clothes appropriate for her job as a bodyguard. Comfortable, and neutral tones.

Nothing to cause her to stand out too much.

After she was done, Skye slipped back into the corridor between their rooms and waited for Adlai to meet her.

~~~

Eira gently changed the subject over to art, to which the corners of Thrawn’s mouth upturned into a small semblance of a smile.

He always enjoyed talking about art, even while stuck in an elevator after going through an art gallery.

“I suppose that is entirely dependent on a case by case study,” he answered after pondering over Eira’s question for a moment. “I highly suspect that it depends on how early the person moves away from their home.”

Someone who moved away from their home world as a baby would less likely have that culture seep into their existence, as opposed to someone who moved away as an adult.

“When did you leave Mygeeto?” he asked. Thrawn would better understand Eira if he knew a bit more of her past, such as when she came to Coruscant. Would Mygeeto culture even have an impact on her at all?

The cake was apparently named after a tree, though it bore no resemblance to it in design, in fruits, nor even in ingredients. It caused Eli to wrinkle his brow, wondering at it, though at the query turned his way, he could only shake his head a little. “No, as far as I know, we don’t have desserts named after trees.” It was a bit teasing, “although I’ve had a black forest cake and wondered how it got the name.”

It had been a bit too much for him, the chocolately flavor overwhelming with the cherries. Good – in small doses.

“Though we do have plenty of delicious cakes, I’m not sure of any that are traditional in any respect,” he admitted. They had birthday cakes, and cakes for other events, but nothing that was uniquely Lysatra – or that he identified as such, anyways. “We do have a delicious taffy that’s made from tree sap, though. The Lysil Taffy – it’s good. Warm.”

He wasn’t huge on taffy, or perhaps had too much of it in his youth, but it was a warm flavor that was unlike others, usually more fruity. It was definitely comfort food.

~***~

Time with Adlai’s friends and parents had passed things easily, and there’d been no outcries about old wars and old wounds; not that Dina ever knew, but sometimes she tried to sniff out foes because she never let those old, internal scars heal. She seemed to have a fascination with peeling them open again.

The rest of the trip on Serenno passed pleasantly enough, as Adlai got to show Skye the sights of his own home, not going too much further into other territory of other nobles. He received the occasional message from Eira or Lin about things. Rarely Shay.

There was too much risk in that, thanks to his separation from Eira. She had to keep those tracks well-covered. She didn’t manage him.

The time in Serenno felt like a dream, in that way. Neither he nor Skye saw any evidence of things being amuck – although, a few news stories certainly stuck out. Things to talk about in returning to Coruscant…but Adlai would enjoy the dream while it lasted.

~***~

‘Do you think you have also been impacted?’
Eira wondered, but could not ask immediately, for he wondered about her and Mygeeto. Her brows knitted together in consideration, for even with the backstory she’d created to explain her situation, it was not an easy answer.

“I’m not sure how to answer that,” she relented at last, “I’ve told you I had many tutors. Through them, I was frequently away from Mygeeto, though I never really left it, I just…wasn’t there. The intent was always to return.” She laughed, a little, “I may be more spacer than I give myself credit for.”

Oh, how some people detested that term! But, Eira didn’t, and it seemed apt enough, and didn’t feel entirely untrue. How much she had traveled! Though with no promise of return to Mygeeto. “I suppose it was somewhere after the Clone Wars I left for good,” she admitted, “so in my twenties. Much of my childhood was there,” she decided to give that detail, in continuing to think. “I started traveling more and more around 10 or so, now that I think about it.”

Memories were blurry, time never as easy to grasp – and Eira had learned being too precise was more often an indication of a well-rehearsed lie, than truth.

What adult was truly certain of every aspect of childhood by the year, unless something interesting happened? “Do you find much of the Core culture is impacting you, Mitth’raw’nuruodo?” Easy enough to turn it back on him.

The conversation continued a little bit longer, with Cora’s family playing nice the remainder of the time, which Cora was greatly relieved by. She wondered at their thoughts, and what they truly thought of Eli now that they’ve had the chance to get to know him a bit more, but as the staff came back out to clear away the dishes, she didn’t have time to wonder more.

It would have to be a thought she asked her parents and Leo about later.

“Your room is ready for you,” Alma said to her daughter, before turning to Eli, “And we had your stuff brought to a guest room near hers.”

With the end of the meal, Leo and Rosa would head back to their own homes after bidding Cora goodbye with a promise of seeing her again soon, but not in the morning for breakfast, as they both had busy schedules to contend with.

After the goodnights and goodbyes, Cora motioned for Eli to follow her. “So how do you feel after an evening with my family?”

~~~

Eira explained her situation, how she was always away from home through her tutors, which he recalled she had mentioned before. It seemed that she held the influence of these tutors, and these places she traveled to, not just Mygeeto.

Thrawn thought that very interesting.

Eira turned the question back on him, and Thrawn easily shook his head. “Oh no, I have hardly been in the Core long enough to be influenced by its culture.” And he hardly felt that simply being around those from the Core for nearly ten years counted either.

He was still influenced by the culture and history of the Chiss.

“In a way, ignoring the cultural impact on myself, unlike how everyone else allows, helps remind me of home, and who I once was before the Empire.” He allowed the slight moment of sentimentality in his words.

“Thank you, I appreciate it,” Eli would not have expected quarters with Cora, even if they had reached that stage of intimacy. They hadn’t – which, he supposed, added to how quick this really was for both of them. He didn’t tend to introduce a girlfriend if he hadn’t at least gotten to know her in more ways than one.

He would let Cora lead him, he had no idea where her room was, or what ‘close’ would mean; she likely had some idea of what it meant, and it would be better than taking that walk with Silas or Alma. Eli wasn’t certain how well they favored him after he put them in their place a few times – and after Rosa had spoken on his behalf.

At least he had one sibling on his side.

As they left the main area, Cora asked how he felt. He couldn’t help but glance around, and then give Cora an almost desperate look about avoiding the question, even if they weren’t near the parents. Did they have cameras? He forced himself to relax, and put a hand to his forehead, sighing.

If they did, Cora wouldn’t be asking him. “It’s clear they mean well and want good things for you, but I’m not going to tell you that was easy or anything more than barely tolerable at times.” Their disdain for him, just by location, had been constantly grating at the outset, “I was glad that your sister seemed to rise to my support, but I’m not sure how I’ll manage the others if they’re going to cling to that dislike for too much longer.”

Hesitantly, he realized he ought to ask, “I didn’t mess things up irredeemably, did I?” He lowered his hand back to his side.

~***~

‘Liar.’ Eira thought, but could not accuse. Could not point out to the fact he had come into the servitude of a Sith. Eira didn’t know this. Only Ae’lia knew this, but she wondered if it was still his ego that didn’t recognize the changes.

She could latch on to his sentimental tone, at least, smiling a bit teasingly, “Oh?” for he did seem to contradict himself, “how can you say you are not impacted, Mitth’raw’nuruodo, when you’re talking of yourself in the past tense and who you used to be?” The grin widened, “It sounds to me like you’ve let us change you, after all. Unless, you've been playing a role this entire time?" A touch of a wicked grin, "In which case I might have to conclude you the better actor than I."

Still, she would give him a bit of a mercy, “Or perhaps you mean only these would be natural growths for you even without the Core's influence? Who were you before all of this?”

‘And why, why, why do you serve a Sith? Why, why, why are you lying to me?’ A hypocritical question – she was lying to him. She would continue to lie to him, because she knew he was a lost cause. Her instincts had been wrong.

Cora could sense Eli’s consternation, and she gave him an encouraging smile. She didn’t blame him in the least for how he felt, given her parents’ and brother’s attitude towards him most of the evening.

But he had nothing to worry about.

“Oh, I wouldn’t say that,” she answered with a light shrug of her shoulders. “In fact, I think my parents actually like you. The way you stood up for yourself to them really surprised them, as they are not quite used to that.” They’re far more used to people remaining meek and subservient when visiting their home.

One could say Eli had been a breath of fresh air.

“I still don’t know about Leo honestly, but I could definitely tell my parents were beginning to like you near the end of the dinner.” She paused in front of a door, and with one hand she reached out and gently placed it on Eli’s shoulder. “But thank you for doing this for me. I know it wasn’t easy.”

~~~

Eira was quick to call him out for his word usage, an accidental slip he could attribute to language fatigue and genuine transformation that he perhaps have endured over his years in the Empire. No matter what, he allowed the slip-up. He could work with it.

Thrawn indulged in a wry smile, “Perhaps I have been playing a role this entire time, Eira.” It was meant to be a tease, but oh, if anyone knew exactly what he was doing. Not even Eli Vanto knew.

His mission into the Empire was far greater than anyone could ever know.

“Oh, perhaps there has been some minor influence,” he allowed. “But I would also say that natural growth can be attributed as well. After all, can anyone truly say they’re the same person after ten years, even if they only remain on their homeworld?” No, that would be nearly foolish to say. Everyone changes, allowing the natural passage of time and lived experiences to shape them into the person they turn out to be.

Eli’s brows lifted as Cora suggested her parents were coming around. He had thought he had Silas early on, but then he hadn’t been sure. Hearing that Cora actually thought they were both coming around was a relief. He hoped she was right, even if he was aware she left Leoline out. He had been the more antagonistic one, given he started all of this by tattling on Cora. He might take longer to win over.

Probably normal for a brother.

“Even from other Core people, they get meek and subservient responses?” Eli did wonder if it was an expectation among them, that other people knew to adhere to, or if it was just a stereotype they held about people from outside the Core. He wouldn’t be surprised if it was the latter; the Core did get a lot of things from the Outer Rim and beyond. Extortion worked.

“I’m glad to hear it, anyways,” he said as they stopped, “and you’re welcome,” he was able to show some of that relief in a smile. “They really don’t seem bad. I understand they’re looking out for you, so I don’t dislike them,” he wanted to add that, make it clear that right now, no matter how petty some of his thoughts had been, he wasn’t going to dislike her parents right off the bat for this.

If they kept it up – maybe.

~***~

‘I rather wish that you were.’ Eira had her doubts about how much of Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s identity was a guise, and how much of it was true. She knew well that everyone hid some parts of themselves, and he certainly hadn’t given her everything. He was cagey about his home, even if he’d given her his name. She didn’t imagine she would soon break through that far. ‘But perhaps….’

Perhaps it meant there was something to protect – something he couldn’t even risk the Empire finding out about. ‘The Sith.’ Wouldn’t Palpatine have dug deep already? She wondered how much he had changed, so far as method, since the Clone Wars.

How much of the politician remained. Enough, certainly – the galaxy at large didn’t know what he was.

‘You’re trying to fool yourself.’ So she was, and she mirrored his wryness. “No, no one can claim to be the same even after a year,” Eira allowed, “But you didn’t tell me who you were before all of this growth.” Core influence or not.

With Eli’s question, Cora did shrug her shoulders. “It all depends on the situation.” Social cues meant everything for her parents, but she never really cared for it. To people like her parents and those who ran in similar social circles, every little thing, from what one wore, could tell an entire unspoken story.

It always gave Cora such headaches.

“I know they can be overbearing, but they are nice people. Really!” But Cora wouldn’t fault Eli for thinking the opposite, especially with her mother. Her mother could be...difficult at times, but once she liked someone, she was an extremely valuable ally to have.

“Anyways,” Cora continued, opening the door they had stopped next to, “this is the guest room where you’ll be staying tonight.” And on the bed was Eli’s suitcase. “My room is just right down this hall,” she motioned down the hallway, where there was a door on the opposite side. “So we won’t be far from one another.”

~~~

Thrawn shook his head and chuckled at Eira’s question. “Is this your attempt to get me to talk about my childhood?” Amusing, really, but Thrawn felt as if he wouldn’t have much of interest to tell her. Only bits and pieces he wanted to tell.

There was still much of his people he wanted to keep hidden from the galaxy, including Eira.

“Well, I was a bit of the same, really. Ever since I was a child, I held great appreciation for art, much to the annoyance of everyone around me.” Many didn’t see the use in his fascination, but then there had been a few to actually learn what it was about art that held his interest so much, and how it helped him learn about their enemies.

“I was a very ambitious boy, and I rose quickly through our navy, even though not everyone would quite agree with that decision.” Much like in the Empire, his rise in the Chiss Defense Fleet was met with some disagreement.

He imagined some were quite happy that Thrawn was away to be someone else’s problem.

Eli could imagine situation did play a role, and he supposed a future son-in-law should be deferential. That deferential, though? Eli wondered. Apparently, her parents didn’t think so, if they were pleased with him standing up. Perhaps it was a test of sorts. Well, he’d know if he really passed later.

Cora would no doubt need a private conversation for that.

He nodded at Cora’s defense of her parents, “I know,” he didn’t, but he was willing to believe her about them, “I’ll learn, I’m sure.” Once they grew fond of him. For now, he’d have to hope they hadn’t done anything to make his sleeping quarters for the night bad, like sticking several pebbles between the mattress or something petty like that.

At least on sight, it didn’t look like anything was wrong. His suitcase didn’t appear disturbed. He let his gaze follow the direction of her room, and nodded. “Noted,” he was glad they were close, though it meant little so far as how their evening could be spent.

In that way, the Chimaera felt much better even if they were significantly further apart. “I guess I’ll see you in the morning?” They weren’t staying long to explore Anaxes, that would have to be saved for another time.

He was still disappointed by how quickly it all went. He’d like to see more of her planet.

Another vacation would have to be in the works.

~***~

“Maybe,” Eira wouldn’t deny being curious about his childhood, his teenage years, and much else. He gave her little, though. She wasn’t surprised, but she was disappointed, and she didn’t mask it as she looked across the way at him. He didn’t suggest any ways that he was different.

Obsessed with art.

Ambitious.

Disliked.

“You make it sound as if you haven’t changed at all,” and there was disappointment in her tone, too. A static figure, a lonely boy, for all his years. Had he learned nothing? Perhaps it was why he clung to Sidious.

Sith rewarded ambition, so long as it didn’t challenge their own place. Truly, disappointing. “You never say much about your home, or your life before, I’ve noticed,” she didn’t think him unaware. It was intentional. “I’m not asking for state secrets, you know. You can say little things about scraping your knee, the audacity of brain freeze on a cold planet,” something they shared, right? “or pets. There’s a lot of life in the little things. I want to know you.”

Cora just knew that Eli didn’t feel great about the situation at all, and she wouldn’t blame him in the least. After an entire evening of getting insulted by your significant other’s family? She certainly wouldn’t know how to feel in that situation.

She’s just happy Eli still wants to be with her.

“I’ll be up a little longer if there’s anything you wish to talk about,” Cora said with a shrug. Maybe he wanted to discuss her family, or discuss what they would be doing once they got back on the Chimaera. She really didn’t know, but she would leave the offer open.

“If not, then I’ll see you in the morning.” With a smile, Cora leaned up and pressed her lips against his in a gentle kiss before pulling away. A goodnight kiss, and a thank you for tolerating her family.

~~~

Thrawn was curious about the disappointment marring Eira’s features, and the disappointment in the tone of her voice. He found that with that disappointment, he wanted to share more.

And so, he thought for a second of what more he could share with Eira.

“Before I joined the Defense Fleet, back when I was in primary school, we had to study several trade languages used by my people. Well, when I first started out, I absolutely hated them and didn’t want to put forth the effort to study them.” But, naturally, he had still been a good student like in all his other subjects.

He chuckled a bit at the memory, lightly reminiscing in his early childhood days before the Mitth family took an interest in him.

Pets. She mentioned pets. “Also when I was much younger, I wanted a pet. Specifically, this creature we have that is similar to your loth-cats, but they have far more fur and fat to deal with the cold climate of my planet.” Unfortunately, life became far more hectic that allowed for any pets, and he soon grew out of that phase.

Some part of him still wanted a pet, though. A small companion that would also serve to amuse him.

Was it appropriate to go talk to Cora in her room? Eli didn’t get a chance to ask the probably stupid question when she kissed him in the hallway. Well, it couldn’t be that inappropriate if she was open to doing this, no matter how chaste it was. It left his spirits much higher as she pulled away.

He didn’t really want the evening to end with all his thoughts focused on the negative, as he knew they’d quickly go back to it, that being the main event of the day. So, with that smile, he added, “I’m going to get a bit cleaned up and then I’ll come by, if that’s okay?” She had invited him, but he still felt the need to verify.

Sure, he wasn’t physically dirty, but he still thought a shower would do him a world of good in just washing off the day.

He didn’t know what he wanted to talk about, but he knew it wasn’t her family.

Anything else but that; he’d had enough of that, and she wouldn’t know anything more until at least tomorrow, anyways. If then. Her parents might not be sure what they felt until later, as it was. Eli was apparently…quite unique, outside of his size.

‘Don’t ask about tall boyfriends, either.’

~***~

Mitth’raw’nuruodo didn’t leave her with nothing after that disappointment, but started easily into ways he’d changed, and things he’d wanted. He hadn’t liked learning languages, which was not something Eira expected, given the patience he’d shown with her thus far in figuring out tone. He never seemed frustrated or exasperated.

Then, there was a cat he wanted.

Fat and fluffy – an ideal cat. Eira wished she could see one, but she was able to imagine a fatter loth-cat without much struggle. She’d seen a few fat ones in her life. Not all cats were dedicated to running amuck at the wee hours of the night. Of course, the imagery, and Mitth’raw’nuruodo sharing at all caused her to perk up a bit.

“What’s keeping you from getting a pet now?” Eira teased, “Loth-cats are easy to get, as well as tooka and rada. Does the Empire not allow pets on their ships?” That was the only reason she could think of to not have a cat now. “Or do you really just want the fluffy cat? What is it called?” She’d keep learning, piece by piece.

Cora thought that Eli would say that he would rather remain in the bedroom for the evening to unwind after what had happened, but he didn’t. He wanted to come by and talk to her some.

Good, her fears were unfounded.

She smiled and nodded. “Yeah, that’s fine.” It would give her some time to get ready for bed as well, though for her that wouldn’t include a shower. Just changing out of her clothes into pajamas, and a face wash.

With her confirmation, Cora nodded at Eli and continued on to her room, so that Eli could get ready with a quick shower, and so Cora could begin to wind down from the evening that turned more stressful than she cared to admit.

Once she was done with her evening rituals, she relaxed on top of her bed with her datapad, checking any messages she may have received while she waited on Eli.

~~~

Thrawn could think of many factors keeping him from getting a pet. Time was a large factor. He felt as if he wouldn’t have the appropriate time for a pet, with everything happening on Coruscant and after his mission was over.

“The higher officers are allowed pets in their quarters,” Thrawn began, “but I feel like I wouldn’t have the time to give a pet the appropriate time and dedication they need.” At least, not with cats. Maybe there was some other low maintenance creature he could look into one day.

He heard that certain reptilian pets were low maintenance.

“I do admit, some part of me still wants that cat,” he admitted with a chuckle. “Kwats, they are called.” But he knew that unless he left the Empire and returned home, he wouldn’t be getting one anytime soon, unfortunately.

“Was there an animal you wanted when you were younger? Or even now, perhaps?” It was easy to turn the subject back on her, and he was curious to learn if she indeed had an ideal pet that never manifested into reality.

Eli finished cleaning himself up, and did dress down into his pajamas as well. They weren’t indecent, though a part of him wondered if it was still right to go walking about to Cora’s room in pjs. Well, if there were cameras or something, they’d see him eventually leave to go back to his room. Much as he wanted to stay with Cora, they still hadn’t even done that back on the Chimaera.

Sure, that wasn’t home…but it was home away from home. It seemed odd to start things new here.

He reached her door and knocked, not presuming he could enter. He hadn’t checked his own datapad, was unaware of Faro’s messages about Thrawn getting locked in an elevator that day, with Eira (of course), or any other drama. Though Faro wasn't really able to do much about that, except try and manage the Inquisitors....

He didn’t need to know.

Or he assumed he didn’t, anyways. The problems would always be waiting for him back on the ship…unfortunately. They weren’t likely to go away anymore than the Inquisitors were likely to be gone from the Chimaera.

~***~

Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s response was understandable. Time was crucial for pets. They needed more than to just exist in the same space as their so-called owners. Eira knew that; it was why she didn’t have any pets of her own, no matter how she liked animals. “You could try a fish,” Eira suggested with a chuckle, not entirely serious.

Fish were low maintenance so far as time went, but their enclosures weren’t always so. They had to be kept at specific temperatures, cleaned, with salt or without salt, with plants…it could be an expensive ordeal for a pet you couldn’t even, well, pet.

“Maybe one day you’ll get a kwat,” such a bizarre name, even considering his name. She wondered if it was a cat native to his home, or something brought in that carried its name along. “and it’ll be the fattest, happiest kwat of them all.” Well, one could dream.

Though he probably wouldn’t really let it get obese, no matter how cute the cats were.

As for her own thoughts of pets, she hummed agreeably, “Yes. I always wanted a bird – a large bird,” she had met several. She’d flown on several, and she’d thought she would one day have her own familiar, as some Jedi did, but then things changed. It’d be too strange, now. “A heliost or a shyyyo—but I don’t think I can own any of the birds I’d want in Coruscant,” she chuckled and shook her head.

There were limitations.

Cora didn’t wait much longer before there was a knock at her door. Putting away her datapad and double checking to make sure she was decent, which she was in her comfortable pajama pants and shirt, she opened the door and stepped aside to let Eli in.

“I hope everything is alright in the guest room?” she had to ask, to make sure Eli could get comfortable despite everything that had happened that evening.

She wanted to make sure something could go better for him.

Cora stepped aside and backed further into her room, so Eli could come in as well. Her room was just as neat and tidy as her quarters back on the ship, but there was more color, more hints of her personality scattered throughout in a hue of light purple.

The color reminded her of the Anaxes flora.

~~~

Even if Eira hadn’t been entirely serious with her suggestion of a fish, Thrawn couldn’t help but admit with a chuckle, “I don’t particularly like fish.” Or any sea creatures, really.

Besides, fish were too boring, even if they were more suited to his lifestyle, with the exception of maintaining their tanks.

Thrawn wouldn’t dare dream of owning a kwat until he was back with his own people. Still, it could be something to look forward to if he dreamed hard enough.

The answer Eira gave was one Thrawn wasn’t quite expecting. Heliost or shyyyo - large birds indeed. “You still manage to surprise me,” he said with a shake of his head. “I would have expected a smaller and more gentle creature, not a large avian one.” It only helped remind him to not underestimate Eira. He still had much to learn about her.

Eli nodded, “Yeah – I think so,” as he stepped into Cora’s room and took a look around the more personalized quarters. He hadn’t noticed anything wrong with his room, the bed seemed like it would be more than soft enough, possibly on the too-soft side after all his time with the navy, but he’d still sleep. If not, he wouldn’t lose much sleep, at any rate.

“I’m guessing your favorite color is purple?” He asked, a light tease at the color scheme, but also a genuine interest. He should know what it is, for the future, and try to commit it to memory. It wasn’t like either of them had opportunity to really display it in their clothing or even adornments.

He tried to spot anything else of note in the room.

He wondered briefly what Thrawn would make of her design, and tossed it aside. So far as he knew, Thrawn just did art, not interior design. They might go together somewhat, but Thrawn still had his limitations.

Probably.

“I guess we should start talking about when you get to meet my parents, right?” Still with that light tease; that was probably the last thing Cora wanted to talk about, even if his parents would be nicer.

~***~

Eira arched a brow. He didn’t like fish? “We should—” go to an aquarium, but she cut herself off with a sigh. She had to stop doing that. She had to stop wanting to do things with him, had to remember who he was, and act appropriately.

He would be gone soon, and no longer a problem. She could get through this.

So she addressed the other part, instead, “The shyyyo and heliost are gentle…enough. I mean, the shyyyo is a carnivore, but there’s legends about seeing one – if you do, you’ll have peace. It isn’t clear if that is for a day, or for life…but that’s still good. And the heliost only eats tibanna gas, so they’re not going to go out of their way to harm anyone.”

They’d be expensive to care for, though.

“Now, why would you expect I’d want something small and gentle?” Eira teased, “because I’m small and gentle?” That’s what most people assumed, though Mitth’raw’nuruodo did know she was capable of defending herself. Still, he wasn’t the first to make the assumption she’d want something “cute”.

A sheepish smile crossed Cora’s face and she shrugged. “What can I say, purple reminds me of my planet,” not to mention the color could be calming with the right shade, which is what she aimed for.

A gentle purple, nothing too ostentatious.

With the change in topic, Cora let out a light groan. A tease, really, even if it held some truth. “While I would love to meet your parents, I think I may want to wait a while before doing this again.” Though in theory, his parents shouldn’t be like her family at all.

She hoped.

Cora wouldn’t certainly play nice and be on her best behavior for whenever they finally meet, much like Eli was to her family. She wanted to make a good impression on the family of the person she was hoping to be with for a long time. Even if it was too early for talks of marriage, she certainly did not enter relationships without the hope that it would be long term.

“They aren’t anything like my parents, are they?” Cora just had to clarify. To be safe.

~~~

Curious about what Eira was about to say, Thrawn wanted to ask her what she was about to say they should do. Since she went back into the topic of the birds, he filed that question away, his curiosity for what she was about to say too great to just let it go.

Eira went back to discuss the birds. Large birds with their own meaning behind their symbolism. Maybe not violent creatures, but not entirely docile and gentle that he may have expected.

Which, Eira teased about.

“That all sounds very interesting.” And it was a genuine answer. Interesting in the gentle giants, and the way Eira spoke of them. “And maybe I did expect something small and gentle,” he admitted with a slight chuckle. “But not because of your own stature, but because of your personality. Of your kindness and gentleness.”

He could hardly imagine her with anything but peace and gentleness, but you have to remember what she could be.

Or what she may not be at all.

“But what I truly want to know more about is what is it we should do,” he inquired, leaning forward slightly in Eira’s direction. Oh no, he wouldn’t forget about her little slip up.

Eli hadn’t noticed enough purple to make him relate it to Anaxes, but he still made a mental note of that, and the particular shades used in Cora’s room. They weren’t offensively bright, nor akin to a Royal purple. It was easy on the eyes, not demanding attention. Certainly good for sleeping, unlike a room painted bright red, probably.

He never found a bedroom painted bright red.

It was easy enough to follow his own line of conversation, and he chuckled as Cora wanted to delay meeting them, “That’s fair,” he said, and kept the grin on his face as Cora asked about his parents. He shook his head, “They have their own intensity, but it’s not like that. My father might start to nerd out a bit about shipments if you show any interest. And I mean any interest. He’ll talk for hours.”

It was partially a warning. His father could be quite intense about his business interests and sharing it with anyone who was remotely interested at all, since no one was interested. Not even Eli, though that was because he knew it all by now. Mostly. New things had cropped up in his absence but it was easy enough to follow. “My mom is a little protective, but not the ‘wait outside with a blaster’ kind, just…I guess like your parents, wanting to make sure I find someone who wants me for me, and nothing else. I guess that sounds strange,” he chuckled, “but I was an heir to a company.”

And he still technically was, if he wanted to be. So his mother held concerns, and wouldn’t even consider that because Cora was from the Core, that she’d have no interest in a paltry Wild Space heir.

~***~

‘Isn’t that easy to guess?’ Eira rolled her eyes though kept a smile on her lips, waving her hand a bit dismissively, “Just more hopeless dreams, like learning Sy-Reti,” she answered easily enough, but clarified, “I was going to suggest going to an aquarium. You might learn to like at least a few fish, but then I remembered the constraints of our lives, again.”

Something she was striving to keep at the forefront, so she could keep denying plans in the future. She would have made it obvious enough that she didn’t have the time to keep doing things like this, nor should Mitth’raw’nuruodo have such time to keep pursuing these kinds of outings.

“I can get carried away with dreams if I’m allowed,” she admitted, “imagine a life where you can visit Coruscant often enough when you leave, or I can visit you wherever you end up stationed, but it’s not realistic, and I still don’t wish to hurt your reputation – no matter how little you seem to care about that.” It said lightly, not quite teasing, but it had a note of play all the same.

That the dreams weren’t serious.

Not serious enough that he should want to try and make them happen, anyways. “But you should go to aquarium someday, with or without me. With someone who likes fish, at least. I’m sure there must be others besides myself.”

Cora moved over to sit on her bed, on top of her covers, and she motioned for Eli to join her. Innocent enough, as they would remain above the covers, and nothing more.

Even if her thoughts did stray a little, nothing would happen. Not in her old room in her parents’ house, that would just be too awkward.

“So don’t mention anything about shipments, got it,” she chuckled. She would have to see about other conversation topics that might be of interest to Eli’s father. Not that she didn’t want to express an interest in something that was a part of Eli’s family, but she had her limits.

Ramblings for hours about shipments were beyond her limits.

But his mother, she may have to navigate a little more carefully. “That doesn’t sound strange at all. I guess I may need a little advice in trying to make sure I don’t accidentally say or do something that may make her not like me.” Like she advised Eli in learning how to navigate her parents, but Cora hoped with all her might that Eli’s mother wouldn’t be anything like that.

She really didn’t want to deal with this kind of evening again.

~~~

Eira continued to suggest that they couldn’t do these things together, as if they weren’t already together on an outing, though just unfortunately now stuck in an elevator together, a force that didn’t care if they did indeed have plans later that day for their respective jobs.

And he may have said yes to visit an aquarium if she accompanied him, someone whose presence he tolerated quite well. It may have made everything more tolerable while surrounded by creatures he didn’t particularly care for.

“There’s nothing wrong with allowing a few dreams to come out. I have been told that is what makes life worth living.” But did he ever allow those moments of pleasures? Perhaps he was a bit hypocritical in that regard, but then again, there he was, in an elevator with Eira after coming back from an art gallery, something everyone knew he indulged in as well as studied for strategy.

“Perhaps you should allow yourself a few of these small dreams. What you’ve said is not out of the realm of possibilities, from what I have observed of other officers.” Officers take temporary leave all the time for family, or for a short vacation, and some even had family to temporarily visit a base where one was stationed at, under the right conditions.

And someone of Thrawn’s status? He could leave the Chimaera every now and then, if his work didn’t suffer. But he wouldn’t do it to visit Eira.

Would he?

“Ah, but you’re the only person I know who likes fish,” he teased. “Therefore, it would only make sense if you were the one to show me what I am missing with my dislike for these aquatic creatures.”

Eli was eager to have a place to sit, and to be closer to Cora, so he took the offer immediately and as he sat down, placed his hand over the one she’d used to gesture for him. Innocent enough. His own thoughts were trying to stay there. Not too hard, considering who else was in this house and what he didn’t want to happen.

“The advice is that actually showing an interest in what my father does is a good thing,” Eli chuckled, even if he’d just advised against it, “ignoring it completely is likely going to raise her suspicions.” It was one of those weird things he’d noticed. Obviously no one wanted to be subjected to another lecture from his father – not even his mother – but if Cora feigned having no idea what Eli’s family did, or didn’t have any interest in it, he knew that would raise alarms in her head.

She would be too obviously trying to avoid what Eli was tied to, and what Eli could be, that she’d infer that meant Cora was only interested for that reason, and trying to avoid revealing that to his family. “I think we can probably maneuver so my father doesn’t get too deep into one of his tangents.”

Somehow.

"But if not, suffering together makes one familiar?" He laughed a little.

~***~

Other officers. It was enough to make Eira laugh, “See!” She called him on it immediately, “You said it yourself – others.” Not him. Mitth’raw’nuruodo would not waste his time with such things. He went to art galleries because they appealed to his interest, but an aquarium? It had no value to him, and he didn’t even consider it interesting in the least.

“I prefer to keep my dreams realistic. Which I suppose sounds odd coming from someone who pursued being famous in Coruscant, but I do know my talents,” and the Force had helped open several doors quicker than they would have otherwise opened, but he had no need of knowing that.

There was enough implied in being pretty and charming, and he likely didn’t know too much about how one moved up in the industry, or what rumors had surrounded her early career, not only because of the speed, but who she had been dating at the time.

She reached out to touch his arm, smiling, “You have far more important things to do than visit me, once you’ve finally left Coruscant. I know this is temporary,” the smile faltered, her hand dropped as she sighed, a glance down, and then shook her head, “But I really have enjoyed it.” The smile returned, as she looked back up, “Getting to know what bits of you you’re willing to share.”

Cora was pleased enough with the decision Eli made to sit next to her, and to place his hand on hers. Completely innocent, nothing more in their intentions for the night.

Just Cora and Eli sitting next to each other in light conversation.

“Okay, so talking about shipment to some extent is a good thing,” she chuckled. They would just have to navigate any tangents Eli’s father could or would go off on. Fortunately, it seemed that Eli was prepared, and hopefully knew what to do in that situation.

She just wanted to put as much effort into trying to make a great impression on Eli’s family as he did for hers.

“I’ll have to be sure to ask you more about what your father does when it gets closer to time to meet them.” She could ask then, but she also wanted to hear it closer to their meeting, so all the information would be fresher in her mind. Besides, she wasn’t sure if Eli wanted to discuss only his family’s business for the rest of their evening together.

Or maybe he did. She wouldn’t judge.

~~~

Eira was quick to call out Thrawn for his choice of wording, but was she wrong? No, she wasn’t. Thrawn wasn’t privy to many pleasures that had nothing to do with his greater plans in the Empire. Even this art gallery visit could be of use to him, if he played his cards right.

Otherwise, he just didn’t have much time.

Eira touched his arm, and Thrawn wondered at the action. Wondered at his own silent response. He felt a small heat travel from the spot she touched through his sleeve. A silly reaction that shouldn’t have happened.

And yet it did. And yet he wanted it to happen again.

“Ahh, but would you like for me to visit you?” he asked with a wry smile. He leaned ever so slightly closer. “Do you admit that part of your unrealistic dreams is for us to be able to visit one another more often? One that, I may add, is entirely more possible than you may think it is.”

Eli had a bad feeling they’d somehow end up in a four hour lecture from his father, but he wouldn’t hint at that, and just nodded his agreement, “I promise it’s not all that complicated.” Cora did enough traveling with the Empire, so she certainly understood some of the basics about transporting goods and people – not that his family dealt in people.

They weren’t slavers.

He didn’t really care to talk about it now. A part of him was hyperaware of the present situation, and how silly it was that he had gone to meet her parents, and was paranoid about how it could look for them to be together. They were together, though they had yet to actually be together in the way most people were before meeting parents.

Yeah, they definitely could wait to meet his parents.

So he let his fingers slide between hers, and pulled it towards him, over his lap and into his other hand, enfolded between the two. “Besides, I think there’s a lot more we still need to figure out about each other before we consider parents again.” Besides just the physical, of course. He hadn’t known about this particular shade of purple.

Somehow favorite colors seemed pretty elementary.

~***~

‘No, I want you to go so far away I never think of you again.’

Eira knew that wasn’t true as she leaned that slight bit back away from him, knowing she couldn’t mask the blush that crept onto her face with that wry smile and lean. He couldn’t be that daft; she’d made it apparent enough she wished for more, but was trying to be the realistic one here.

“I have plenty of unrealistic dreams about you.”

The words were out before she thought them through, and did nothing to improve her blush. She retracted her hand completely so it was back in her lap, nearly mortified with the words. “That came out wrong,” she laughed it off, as if that were possible at this point, shaking her head to try and get rid of it.

‘You idiot.’

Why couldn’t she be a good actress right now?

“I mean, it’s not wrong, I think I’ve stumbled over enough things I’d like to do that you know – and you’re just being terrible,” she accused, redirected. He knew he was being terrible, too, by that grin.

Why wasn’t the elevator fixed?

Why wasn’t Lin sending her a message to distract her? ‘Note to self, ask Shay to yell at Lin later.’

Cora would trust Eli that it wasn’t all that complicated, and that he would help her through the hurdles of talking to his father. If she could understand her father’s jargon when discussing real estate, surely the trading business wouldn’t be so complicated?

But she wasn’t so keen to discuss those details right then, and apparently, neither was Eli.

She allowed his fingers to slide between hers, and a light blush crossed her face at the action. Ridiculous, they were together, and he could still fluster her with a simple action. She wouldn’t comment on that, though, but she did lean in closer to Eli, their shoulders touching.

“Like what, exactly?” Cora was aware of the situation, and aware of what exactly they still needed to learn about one another. As much as she would love to get to know one another in that form, she didn’t know if now was the best time.

She certainly wouldn’t complain, however.

She would also be content with whatever Eli was most comfortable with.

~~~

Thrawn easily noted the blush that Eira couldn’t hide, and he wondered. He wondered at the thoughts that were currently running through her mind that she tried so hard to suppress. He wondered at many things about Eira Nevan.

Thrawn could guess at a few.

But what Eira said next completely caught Thrawn off-guard. He expected more denial, more fighting back, but not straight up admittance of what she was thinking.

He arched both brows, but didn’t sit back. He remained leaning forward, carefully observing the details of Eira’s face. Every little emotion she allowed to shine through.

“For someone who’s a great actress, you can be a bad liar.” Her statement didn’t come out wrong, as much as she tried to persuade him otherwise. She spoke her mind, something she didn’t exactly want to do. And Thrawn was curious to know more.

“But now that you’ve piqued my curiosity, what are some of these unrealistic dreams that you have?” He wouldn’t let her shy away from this now, not that it was now in the open. He certainly held his own unrealistic dreams about her, and he wondered, just how similar were they.

There were plenty of things, although when pressed to think of them, Eli found his mind scattered to all the directions, which made it hard to pin down one. “Well, I realized now I didn’t know your favorite color, or your favorite dessert. These seem like things I should have known about you by now,” maybe not, but before meeting parents.

Of course, there were plenty of things he should have known about before meeting parents, but they were both painfully aware of that.

He’d likely be grateful to have gotten over this hurdle so early, later. Assuming it all went well and they didn’t fill Cora’s head with doubt, when they had a moment to speak with Cora alone. She wasn’t acting as if she had any doubt right now, leaning into him, and so with the hand not entwined, he let a finger just glide over her knuckles, “There are probably a lot of favorites I should know.”

Music, extinct animal, if she had lucky numbers – or lucky anything, favorite season, favorite drinks, flowers, a host of things so he could sprinkle them throughout their lives together. He kicked his mind away from ‘favorite positions’, and other such things. Not the best thoughts for the moment, though certainly wonderful thoughts for the future.

“So probably a lot of those things, so I can remember the things you really like, and make a habit of remembering them.” By buying them. Or sending her pictures of them. Or cute videos he found.

Anything, really, to add her to moments she wasn’t present for, and let her know that.

~***~

Eira had little plans of answering Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s question in any meaningful way, and she gave him a bit of a glare for even asking. He wasn’t in the wrong to do so. She would have done the same. She was just upset with herself that she wasn’t being good at lying right then. Given, a plotting part of her knew showing some inconsequential weakness was good. That he thought, or knew, she could be a bad liar over certain things might lessen suspicion on others.

That didn’t matter in the moment.

“Now you’re just teasing.” He hadn’t leaned away, and Eira was now far too aware of proximity, and far too flushed to deal with it. She leaned back, only to give herself enough room to stand, and step back. She brushed her hands down her skirt to straighten it up, and to distract herself a few moments. “I’ve already told you, impossible dreams of getting to know you better – there’s too many things to list.” She hadn’t told Mitth’raw’nuruodo why she wanted to get to know him, or in what ways beyond things that could easily be construed as simply friendly, and she didn’t intend to.

Shay would flay her alive.

Besides that, she knew she was still too Jedi. Relationships didn’t work out. Darius had proven that. She never could get comfortable in one, and she certainly couldn’t get comfortable with someone she was lying to even more than she had lied to Darius. “If you plan to make them less impossible, then you can just make it a plan to humor some visits to me when you leave Coruscant, or invite me to things off-planet, hm?”

Some of the play was gone, frazzled away by being called out and bothered for an answer she didn’t want to give.

Last edited:
Cora was well aware of how strange their present situation may seem. Here they were, still fairly new in a relationship, already meeting her parents. There was much that should have been done before this step, but the way Cora saw it, it was a giant patch they were able to rip off early and get it over with.

Now they could go back to thinking and worrying about things appropriate for their stage in the relationship, like actually getting to know things about one another.

There were many favorites Cora still did not know about Eli.

“Well now you know a bit more about my family, and you know my favorite color and dessert, but I still don’t know your favorite color or dessert.” It was a good place to start, she figured. “But something new about me, I consider classical music my favorite genre to listen to, though I consider pop my guilty pleasure,” she decided to add in.

Something she still did not know about Eli, and Cora hoped he would take the silent hint that she wanted him to answer the question as well, because she genuinely wanted to know these things about him.

To know Eli Vanto better.

~~~

Thrawn frowned as Eira leaned away and stood back up. That wasn't what he wanted. He leaned back, before he ultimately decided to stand up as well, to be on equal footing with Eira, but for now, he remained on his side of the elevator. “I don’t tease.”

He was surprised he had yet to receive a message from anyone onboard the Chimaera.

“And what if I could make those dreams less impossible?” It was then he decided to step forward, one step closer to Eira. One step closer in an attempt to see inside her mind. “Many imperial business is conducted on Coruscant, and I can foresee visits to this planet in the future, after my time here is done.”

With the importance Coruscant held in regards to the bureaucracy of the Empire, Thrawn wasn’t lying to Eira when he said he may visit in the future. It was nearly inevitable.

“So maybe, just maybe, I could humor you with those visits.” He leaned closer, barely a breath away from her. “What do you say about that?”

Eli did laugh a little as it was pointed out Cora didn’t know those things about him either, “Fair, fair,” and he’d rectify that, as well, while she gave him something new in the form of musical genres. Somehow, he wasn’t surprised by her answer, even if he allowed a more-teasing wrinkle of his nose at the mention of classical music.

He really didn’t mind classical music, “Honestly, I tend to listen to film or game soundtracks more than anything. It’s distracting if it has lyrics, so classical isn’t far from my list of favorites,” he found it easier to focus on things. He didn’t do much pleasure-listening when it came to music, he just wanted it there for background noise.

If it had lyrics, he became too distracted. Not always bad, and sometimes, welcome. It could paint such vivid images in his head! “As for dessert, I’ve always liked chocolate mousses – but I’m fond of it with oi-oi berries, too. It adds a nice tartness,” or something he couldn’t quite describe, but it was quite delicious. “And color…eh…that changes a lot, but lately it’s been brown.”

A color he saw often.

A color he didn’t often think much of, but lately he’d grown increasingly fond of it for being a color he could easily associate with Cora, given her eyes and her hair. He wasn’t bothered to admit it. He’d been fond of blue before he met Thrawn.

~***~

Mitth’raw’nuruodo rose, and it took quite a bit of willpower for Eira not to step back. Not that there was far to go. She was almost against the wall anyways, a step back would just let her touch it. That didn’t seem to bother him, as he closed that distance immediately, denying wrongdoing, insisting that he could make the impossible, possible, without even knowing all of it.

And she’d told him how.

To just do so, in the future! To come around more, to invite her out! Why couldn’t it be left at that? Why couldn’t he just consent to that, and leave it as it was? Or make plans that were innocent? Stars, she should have stuck with the aquarium, something direct, to keep out of this vague territory.

‘No, you cannot use the Force on him. It probably won’t work.’ Mind tricks would fail her here. ‘Just…calm.’

“I say that I would enjoy those visits, and hope that there will be time to see you,” and Eira lifted her hand to place on Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s chest, “and that we’ll see if you’re teasing or being honest in the future.” She meant to push him back and gain space, but the will to do that faded as soon as her hand was placed.

Film or game soundtracks. “That’s not very different from classical. They all share similar characteristics.” And many film and game soundtracks took direct inspiration from classical music, Cora could admit.

One day, they would have to share their favorite songs and artists, and compare how similar they really were.

Cora almost wanted to question Eli’s love for the color brown. She didn’t connect it with her own eye and hair color, but as she looked up into his eyes, and glanced over his hair, she could understand why he would love the color brown. It could hold so much depth, and warmth, and suddenly, she wanted to say brown was her favorite color.

But Cora didn’t have the chance to say anything else when they were rudely interrupted by a chaste knock on her door followed by it opening, her brother Leo strutting in without waiting for her response. “Do you remember your friend Barnabus….”

He trailed off when he looked up from his datapad, noticing Eli in the room. In Cora’s room. Cora flushed red and stood up from her bed. “Leo! Is this really so important right now?”

“I figured you weren’t doing anything, and I guess I was wrong,” he replied, lifting one eyebrow in silent judgement as he eyed Eli sitting on Cora’s bed.

~~~

Eira placed one hand on Thrawn’s chest, and he glanced down at the action, feeling the heat of her hand bleed through the cloth of his shirt. The heat of another person that he never realized how much he had missed, had yearned, until Eira’s simple action made him think.

Made him stop thinking of his duty.

Made him start thinking of other thoughts. Thoughts that quickly spiralled into more.

“I am not one to tease. I am normally an honest one.” His voice lowered, as his thoughts remained on the placement of her hand, her delicate hand. One of his own lifted to gently place over hers, to keep her hand where it was, as Thrawn leaned forward.

Instead of pausing, thinking, doing anything else, he allowed his lips to press against hers in a gentle kiss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back