• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

Eli did accept the handshake, and was as firm with it as he had been all day, keeping up his politeness as well, and his determination not to make that politeness render him weak, or submissive to the whims of the people around him by simply enduring their commentary about him. How could that even be considered polite? It was no wonder reputations of people from the Core were, indeed, rude and entitled.

He still wondered if he’d get a chance to share talk of reputations.

Leo and Cora stuck together on the way out, but it wasn’t a long walk to the dining room, where there was indeed plenty of food that was mostly familiar, or familiar enough, to Eli. He didn’t see anything he’d consider inedible, at least. Although with the arrangement of the chairs, he wasn’t sure precisely where he was supposed to sit.

By Cora, he was certain of that, and so he would wait for her to move to take her seat, and he’d take one besides it that no one else seemed to have plans to occupy. “Thank you,” he’d address that to the family, but mostly the parents, “For having me over – everything does look good,” which wasn’t a lie.

The food did look and smell good, no doubt prepared by their servants so they didn’t have a hand in personally making it.

He should be thanking the servants – but of course, that wasn’t how things worked.

~***~

Eitana and Doron exchanged a look, both having different interest in what there was. Eitana gave a nod only to signify he suggest first, and he answered, looking back at Skye, “I generally prefer our museums. Not as nature-y, and some of the best ones aren’t in this city, but I enjoy a look back at our history, as well as the museums that cycle through other things. I think we actually have a gallery devoted to the history of the royal families being showcased out at the Moon Station on Mantero.”

“Our funeral moon,” Eitana added, doubting Skye knew that. She didn’t think many planets had a moon for such things, but Serenno did. It was where all those who died from the noble families were buried. “Not really a place I suggest visiting on the whole,” though it certainly spoke quite a bit about Serenno’s history, in and of itself.

Doron nodded agreement.

Eitana’s turn, “I don’t think you’ll find much that I care to visit – not that I don’t enjoy our nature and our museums, but I get excited for our festivals. I suppose I enjoy the little things, too – the farmer’s markets, and some of those other things the people put together, showcasing their wares or their talents. There’s a lovely civic theater that puts on interesting retellings of classic stories. Not like what you’ll see at Coruscant – and they have an improv comedy group! I’m not sure if they’re doing anything right now, I haven’t looked into it myself, but they usually always have something going on over weekends.”

Though there were also usually a couple of weeks that were dead between productions, and this might have been one of them, unfortunately.

~***~

Eira hummed as Mitth’raw’nuruodo indicated his belief that the crystals were set up correctly. She would wonder at that, because of the ones less translucent, solid and milky, that had been in the area and didn’t cast light the way those translucent ones did. Was she thinking too much on that?

Although she should agree with him, she shook her head, “I don’t think I gathered enough to be certain, though I’m not the expert,” she easily relented that, “I think I get hung up more on the outliers than you do, in trying to look at a big picture. I can’t help but think of those sculptures which don’t redirect or cast light in any way.”

Was it a different style entirely for using such crystals?

Or was it still one and the same?

“Perhaps I need to work on that skill,” she would consider that, “I always look too much at individuals as it is,” a problem with Mitth’raw’nuruodo himself. The big picture would tell her to steer away.

Even the small picture told her that.

And yet…she remained an idiot. “It was wonderful getting to see you put your mind to it all, though. I’d nearly forgotten from the last gallery.” And she had enjoyed it, in spite of herself – but couldn’t keep doing this.

Cora took her place at the table, with Eli taking the seat next to her. When everyone was there, Baline would normally take the chair next to her, but Eli was there instead of Baline. Their family dining room table hadn’t been that full in quite some time.

Alma enjoyed seeing so many people back at the table, even if one was a visitor.

“Why thank you,” Alma said. Though she wasn’t the one to cook the food, she was still traditional in many regards, including making sure their home was presentable to visitors and everything was flowing smoothly. “And we thank you for agreeing to meet us despite the relationship between you and Coraline being so new.”

Cora blamed her brother for that one. If they hadn’t run into him at the amusement park, then she could’ve protected Eli from awkward introductions.

Silas was the one to reach for the food first, immediately followed by Cora. “So, what is it that your parents do?” he asked, a way to further judge his own initial impression of where Eli came from. If he was so accomplished in the Empire, as mentioned before, then maybe he came from an equally accomplished family, something important to Silas.

~~~

While maybe one day she would enjoy visiting the museums, Skye didn’t think she would want to do that during her first trip to Serenno, especially a museum that was on their funeral moon. It seemed way to bleak a topic, when Skye didn't want her thoughts to stray in that direction.

But some of what Eitana said - the farmer’s market and other small venues to showcase local wares - sounded interesting enough, and it would be a great opportunity to see and learn more about the locals through what they had to offer.

“I think the farmer’s market would be fun,” she said, “or anything similar where I can see the everyday culture of Serenno.” If she were to learn more about Serenno and eventually grow to love it, for Adlai, then the culture and the people seemed like something she should experience and see for herself.

“Other than what we’ve already mentioned, I’m not terribly picky for seeing anything in particular while we’re here.” Just as long as Adlai enjoyed showing her around, then she’s content.

~~~

The fact that Eira focused more on the outliers was interesting to Thrawn, and something he made a note of. Was there a reason she liked to look more at the outliers than the big picture? Did she see herself as an outlier in society? If so, then why?

Thrawn allowed these questions to go unanswered for now, but he wouldn’t forget them.

“There’s nothing wrong in looking at the outliers while attempting to look at a big picture,” he said. “Sometimes there’s significance in them, and sometimes, they’re just that - outliers, deviants from the norm for no reason other than one wishing to be different in their society.” Both he certainly took into consideration when analyzing the artwork.

And he still wasn’t completely sure how the outliers of the xidelphiads’ art worked.

Thrawn almost offered to help her with the skill, to look at larger patterns rather than the individual pieces, but he refrained himself. That wouldn’t be proper. He led them away from the gallery and back to the elevator to the exit. “If you’ve nearly forgotten, then perhaps I should have to remind you again in the future,” he easily suggested.

To do this again, one day, even if he knew deep down he shouldn’t. To get inside her mind more, Thrawn told himself. Yeah, that was it.

Eli smiled, but shook his head, “It’s no problem, this is important to both of us,” meaning their relationship. Eli was serious, and not going to be easily scared off by meeting her parents. Cora liked him, and he would make an effort to like her family – even if they had a lot to learn about him, and plenty of prejudices to work on.

At the question, it was easy for him to answer with some pride. “My parents own a shipping company. It operates within Wild Space, the Unknown Regions, and the Outer Rim, but they have connections further into the Core, as well.” There were luxuries and exotics in Wild Space that those in the Core wanted, and vice versa, of course. He would wait to serve himself until he saw Leoline doing so. “It’s also been a part of my family for many generations, as well.”

Given the necessity of travel and supplies in Wild Space, it had been operating for quite a while. His ancestors were shrewd.

He wouldn’t say he intended to go back to it; that was still debatable, and no need to needlessly worry them any further about how appropriate he was for their daughter. Although, he assumed a family tradition was somehow going to respectable in this family. Also a business had to be looked well upon, it showed stability and money.

~***~

“I think there’s a farmer’s market every Saturday morning,” Eitana offered. “It would be nice to get a feel for Serenno that way, and probably would be a good precursor to other plans.” They could certainly grab food or snacks for the day.

Adlai nodded, “We could always explore the mountain after,” the farmer’s market opened early enough not to get in the way of their venture. It would give them a day to plan for the mountain, too, which was useful. The trip was a bit chaotic – and newly chaotic now that his parents were aware of things.

“There is plenty to do,” Doron agreed, “more than you can do in one trip, so I doubt you’ll find yourself bored,” and Adlai wouldn’t want her to be, so no doubt he’d keep in mind what she wanted to see – as he seemed to be doing already.

Dinner was being cleared away then, and dessert brought out – a chocolately tart that Adlai knew had a bite of chili to it. He wouldn’t give that away. It was always a fun surprise.

~***~

‘Like Holdo.’ Although Holdo would certainly protest that she was an outlier just to be an outlier, Eira suspected some of that was teenage rebellion. Even she went through it, though she was notably chiller. Jedi upbringing didn’t really lend itself to fierce rebellions. They were good enough at catching it, and talking it out, many times.

At the comment about doing it more often, Eira could only smile, “I’m not sure my schedule is going to allow for much soon,” and he should be going by the end of her plays, so she wouldn’t need to worry about anything after that – unless Tarkin extended his stay for some reason, but Eira could only hope that wasn’t the case. “But if it does, certainly.”

They slipped into the elevator and Eira would let Mitth’raw’nuruodo select their destination. She could at least walk with him a little while, after all, she did intend to be difficult about another outing.

Perhaps one more.

After that….

“But it was nice. I have missed getting to spend time with you.”

It was a terrible thing to say when the elevator suddenly seized up, the jolt almost taking off her feet. Mitth’raw’nuruodo was there to catch onto before any of that occurred – but it was not a good sign.

Silas hummed as he listened to Eli, pleased that his family seemingly held a stable company if it had been in the family for several generations. “Very impressive,” he admitted. “Your family must see quite the success in the business if it had lasted this long.”

Even Alma seemed pleased with Eli’s answer. It was certainly unexpected, as she certainly didn’t expect his family to own their own company with connections as far as the Core.

“Do you have plans on taking over the family business one day, or do you have any siblings that will take over?” Leoline asked, interested given his own role in the Suvan’s family business.

“Do we have to talk about work right now?” Cora asked.

“We’re just curious to learn more about Eli here,” Alma answered with a gesture.

~~~

Skye agreed with the plan of checking out the farmer’s market before trekking up the mountain. They could grab food that would be easy to travel with and spend the rest of the day surrounded by nature - an ideal outing for Skye. “I think that sounds absolutely lovely.”

Dessert was set before her, which looked like an innocent enough chocolate tart. She took a bite, and her eyes widened at the unexpected flavor. The chili was not something she would have imagined in a chocolate dessert.

She lightly coughed and took a sip of water. “That was certainly a surprise,” she admitted, but she didn't hate it. In fact, Skye rather liked the flavor combination.

And now that she knew the chili flavor was present, she took another bite and enjoyed the spice present.

~~~

Of course, Thrawn remembered that her play was coming up soon, and undoubtedly her schedule will fill up with rehearsals to prepare for opening night. Still, he would be incessant on at least one more outing.

He had to, to prove whether or not suspicions about her true pastimes were correct.

“But of course, I understand that you are very busy right now.” And the mention that she missed spending time with him brought a slight smile to Thrawn’s face. “I too have missed getting to spend time with you.”

Right as he finished, the elevator seized, and Thrawn grasped Eira when she simultaneously grabbed for him as well. His brows furrowed as he realized their predicament. He let go of Eira and stepped forward to the button panel, where he pressed one to call for help.

Silence.

“This is utterly unacceptable,” he muttered, the frustration seeping to the surface. At least they still had the lights on.

Eli could tell Silas was pleased, as was Alma. The tradition of his family was accepted here, even if it was in Wild Space. It was something they recognized and understood. The question that followed wasn’t unexpected, though Cora’s protest was. He supposed he wasn’t any more enthused to talk about it – but he was glad to see some approval.

However begrudging.

“I admit, I haven’t decided. I was on that path before things changed with the Empire,” he answered, “I don’t have any siblings, but I do have cousins who know the ins and outs of it, as well.” Could they fault him for being uncertain, with the Empire offering so much? They had two of their own children on that path, after all.

And his family would still maintain it, no matter what. It wasn’t the end-all if he chose not to go through with it. “Did you ever think to do anything else?” He queried, although he knew that might be a question too far. Leoline was unlikely to say he ever had any other plans or dreams.

Eli hadn’t. Not until he was dragged into the Empire by Thrawn.

~***~

Adlai chuckled as he saw her reaction, but smiled as she seemed to take another bite of it. “Serenno special,” he said, “we do like a bit of spice to our food, but it was tuned down today,” on the whole, but not in the chocolate. The chocolate tuned it down all on its own, took the kick out of it.

The meal would finish up with a little more discussion, before they were given leave to turn in for the night, with promises of breakfast in the morning.

“Now you two keep to your own room,” Eitana teased, before she would let them go, Adlai smirking a bit but giving an agreeable nod before he’d lead Skye out. Once they’d turned a corner in the house, he felt safe enough to speak.

“Not so bad, is it?” He said, adding, “I admit I thought we did a little better at hiding it, but,” a chuckle, “I should have suspected I’d mess up in some way they’d recognize.” It was his error that made it obvious. Despite long time away, his parents still knew him too well.

~***~

Eira was quick to realize not only the predicament, but how she’d faltered. Mitth’raw’nuruodo let go of her quick enough, and she stepped back as he went to press the comm button. There was no response, although electricity was still running, keeping the light on. Eira sighed, and stepped forward, bending down so she could see a number.

“It’ll be okay,” she said, dialing the number into her datapad and then straightening back up as it pushed the call through. That got a response at least, “Hi, my name is Eira Nevan, I’m in the elevator outside of…,” she turned as she began to offer them the information that the lift had stopped.

The call wasn’t long, and when Eira set her datapad aside, she looked back to Mitth’raw’nuruodo, “They should have someone within the hour,” she sighed, “they don’t know how long it’ll take to fix,” even with her name, it hadn’t seemed to motivate them too much. Perhaps if she could Shay, she could light a fire under a few asses.

However that would mean indicating she was in the lift with Mitth’raw’nuruodo, and somehow she just didn’t want to do that. “I hope you didn’t have anything planned for the rest of your day,” she imagined that the reason for his frustration, “You may want to call up to your ship and let them know, if so.”

“Either path would be a respectable one,” Silas said. Having children both going down the family business path and the path of the Empire, he was equally proud of them all, although he would admit to being relieved that one of his kids decided to stay within the family business, and keep it in the family.

At Eli’s question, Leo shrugged. “When I was younger, I had wanted to do anything but real estate,” he said with a chuckle. “But then I got older and actually learned what all the business entailed, and I became interested in taking over one day.”

“Which surprised us all. We thought it would be Rosaline to take over,” Alma said.

“Thank goodness I didn’t,” Rosa said with a shake of her head. “I realized how boring business meetings could get, and it was not the life for me.”

“Believe me, they’re not my favorite part of the job,” Leo chuckled.

~~~

Skye bid Eitana and Doron a good night before they all separated for the evening, and she followed Adlai out of the area and back to their corner of the house. “No, that wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be,” she agreed.

Fortunately, his parents had been accepting of her and Adlai together, despite the short time since his “breakup.”

“At least now we don’t have to hide from them.” He wouldn’t have to lie to his parents, even if everyone else still saw their relationship as nothing more than professional for now. But at least they wouldn’t have to hide in his home, and Skye stepped closer to Adlai with that thought.

“But I hope you don’t intend to keep to your own room now,” she pouted, letting the implication sit with her words.

~~~

Eira was quick to contact the number listed on the elevator, and now they at least knew an estimation for when it would be fixed, but it was not a time frame that he was pleased with. They certainly didn’t seem to be in any hurry to fix the elevator, despite the fact there were people trapped in it. Including an actress and a grand admiral.

“There wasn’t anything immediately after this,” he spoke as he pulled out his own datapad. Of course being the grand admiral, he still had a hectic schedule, and there were things planned for later that day.

A schedule he may have to hand over to Faro in the meantime.

With that, he called up Faro to let her know of the situation, and she agreed to keep him updated if anything on the ship went to the wayside while he was in his predicament. The tone in her voice indicated bafflement, which Thrawn couldn't blame her.

The whole situation seemed ridiculous.

“It looks like we get to spend more time getting to know one another,” Thrawn said, echoing Eira’s earlier words. He leaned against the wall before sitting on the floor with a heavy sigh. No point in standing.

Well, Leo didn’t seem to find it an odd question at all, or one he didn’t want to answer. It was enough to relax Eli’s posture a bit more, as he started to eat while Rosa and Leo exchanged stories of their paths, and how they’d changed as they got older. Thinking of meetings, Eli could only add, “I don’t think meetings in most jobs are things anyone looks forward to.”

He was thinking of recent meetings with Thrawn, with Tarkin, and the Inquisitors. He thought of how many meetings could have been messages – and how many needed to be catered to even be somewhat tolerable.

He was pretty sure meetings being terrible were a universal feeling.

“What work have you gotten into, Rosaline?” Eli queried, not knowing what it was she did if it wasn’t the family business. It was strange she was the one he didn’t know much about in that realm, considering he knew what Baline, Leoline, and Cora’s parents did – though Baline only because it was also in the Empire.

If Rosaline stayed here, he thought it might be work adjacent to her family’s business – or that she didn’t work.

~***~

No, they wouldn’t have to hide. Though Adlai might wonder about the staff, he supposed they already knew. No doubt they eavesdropped on the conversation. It would already be spreading. So long as it never left the house, it would be all right – and he hoped for at least that much, so he had time to get to Coruscant, and slowly build this up in the eyes of the public. Rather than let it happen fast.

It wasn’t as if they knew his relationship with Eira was a sham – not that his parents knew that, either. They just understood the relationship was lacking in things Adlai wanted…and he probably wouldn’t have cut it short if he hadn’t seen something better.

Skye.

Who apparently wanted to flaunt his mother’s last directive. Not that it had been entirely serious, and Adlai certainly didn’t want to leave Skye that night, but there were some things he really hadn’t done in his own house because something about the fact his parents lived there always made him a touch paranoid.

“Not every night,” he answered, thankful they’d reached their hall as he slid his arms around her, just over her hips, “though I admit it’s still weird to me with this being my parent’s home,” he allowed a chuckle to slip his lips, but wouldn’t let that get in the way of leaning forward to place a kiss on her lips as the chuckle faded away.

~***~

Eira was relieved for Mitth’raw’nuruodo that he had nothing waiting for him after this – immediately, at any rate. She knew she didn’t, either. This was a “free day” – though he didn’t really need to know that. It was why Lin was supposed to send her a message in a bit to let her know of something she had to leave for with the play.

Now she’d have to let Lin know she was trapped in an elevator when that message came through.

If he remembered.

He slid down the elevator wall to sit, and though Eira didn’t want to get comfortable and risk letting her guard down, it didn’t feel right to stay sitting. Besides, she could take off her heels for a bit. So, she took a seat as well, across from him so there was still plenty of space, and then took the heels off.

Terrible things. She wasn’t sure when she got so used to them.

“I suppose you’re right,” she chuckled a bit, leaning back into the wall. There wasn’t anything to distract them, not food, not art. Eira didn’t like that in the least. She could have used the Force to try and get out of the situation, but it was probably better if she didn’t. She didn’t fully understand the mechanics of an elevator. “Have you enjoyed your time in Coruscant so far?”

Eli shifted the conversation over to Rosa, which she was slightly surprised about, though given his inquiry about each member of the family, she should’ve expected it.

“I’m one of the lead architects at a local firm here,” she answered, “so I help plan and design the construction and the additions of buildings here in the city.”

“She has always been into the arts, and now we can see her visions being put to life,” Alma said with a smile.

“And her job allows her to come see her parents often,” Silas added. He missed having all of his kids in their house, so at least he had two kids with professions that allowed them to stay on Anaxes and close to home.

Not that he didn’t want his two youngest in their professions in the Empire, but he had missed Coraline and Baline.

~~~

Skye smiled as she felt his arm slide around her, and when he placed a kiss on her lips, she leaned forward into the kiss, her arms sliding up to wrap around his neck and temporarily deepening the kiss.

She broke away from the kiss, but her arms remained around Adlai. “I can only imagine how weird it must be.” Well, she could truly only imagine, as she never had to deal with this situation before. Sneaking around someone’s parents’ house. Was it something to hide, now that they didn’t actually have to hide in front of his parents?

Regardless, Skye wouldn’t force Adlai into something that may make him uncomfortable.

“But the invitation is there, should you get lonely at night.” Didn’t mean she wouldn’t try a little.

~~~

Thrawn momentarily watched Eira get comfortable as well, but instead she took it a step further to remove her heels. Woman’s fashion and comfort were foreign concepts to him still, as he couldn’t quite imagine wishing or wanting to wear something for hours that caused discomfort, like heels did, apparently.

But he didn’t say anything as she got comfortable on the floor across from him.

“I haven’t actually had much time to spend on Coruscant,” he answered. Not between off-world missions and dealing with the Inquisitors. “Depending on how long we’re here, this may be the longest amount of time I spend on the surface.” Which is not how he imagined he would want to spend his time.

At least he was in the presence of enjoyable company, like Eira, and as long as there was no emergency on his ship that needed his immediate attention, then the situation wouldn’t be the worst he ever faced. He trusted Faro to take care of anything that arised.

“I suppose this doesn’t happen to you often, does it?”

Eli’s brows lifted in mild surprise, and intrigue, at Rosaline’s choice. It wasn’t a far cry from real estate, just more in the design factor. As such, it wasn’t a huge surprise, but just not what Eli had immediately imagined for her. Alma and Silas added on, seeming equally proud of Rosa as they were their other children.

Eli found he was glad for that.

They were at least supportive and loving of their children, even if they strayed from the family business. They didn’t seem to be playing favorites because of that. “I’d love to see some of the buildings you’ve helped with,” and he meant it, curious as to what her art looked like. “Grand Admiral Thrawn is obsessed with art,” he added on, “I have not quite picked up his mastery of it, but I’ve gained a new appreciation for art of all styles because of his mentorship.”

Whether or not they cared to hear praises sung of an alien, Eli didn’t really care. It was that alien which their daughter worked under, and who had gained great renown for the Empire. He was also the reason Eli had much interest in art and architecture. He would have been content with his math and his charts, without Thrawn.

Perhaps they could at least appreciate that an alien even had any interest in the ‘fine arts’ and ‘cultures’ of other worlds.

~***~

‘I suppose the Jedi weren’t quite like observant parents.’ Adlai wouldn’t ask. It was obvious enough Skye had long ago gotten rid of any hang-ups that may have existed for being a part of the Jedi order. She certainly wasn’t shy or reserved about her affection in the least, nor unwilling to indulge in pleasures.

“Oh, I didn’t say I wouldn’t share,” Adlai chuckled as Skye pressed further, “but perhaps we just sleep this night,” and see how comfortable he got.

He really didn’t need people gossiping over sounds they overheard in the hallways, even if everyone knew he and Skye were in a relationship. There was still something that was just weird about that, that he wasn’t sure would be rectified by a relationship of any length. He wasn’t exactly an exhibitionist.

He’d step back only to encourage Skye towards his room, rather than hers, although if she had to grab some things he supposed he’d let her go to do that before they got cozy.

~***~

It was a shame that this might be as long as Mitth’raw’nuruodo would spend on Coruscant. Eira knew that she should be glad for that. The less time he spent on or around Coruscant, the better for her group – but she still wished he could have enjoyed himself more, no matter how dangerous a thing that was. It was thus easy to show pity for his situation.

“No, I can’t say getting stuck anywhere is a common occurrence,” Eira answered. Usually, she was able to flaunt some of the rules to get to places quicker than most people, even, but being stuck, even in traffic? Unheard of. “Perhaps some forced downtime is necessary, with everything going on.”

She could only chuckle a little, before letting it taper off into a sigh.

Without Mitth’raw’nuruodo, this would be easy. She could meditate, and the time would slip by. Unfortunately, he was here. There could be no meditation without being rude – even if she could meditate and not be distracted by his mere existence. “Now would have been a good time to try a game of Shah-tezh.”

But she didn’t have the board or pieces, of course.

Although, perhaps a game would be the easy, and safe, way to pass the time. Eira tried to think of what games she had on her datapad that could easily be two-player.

Cora could tell that Eli was a bit surprised at Rosaline’s answer. It could certainly seem unexpected, given what the other children were doing, until one saw that it was somewhat related to real estates. She just designed instead of worrying about selling.

“I can show you some of the buildings,” Cora offered, knowing that after their dinner together, her sister would most likely be too busy to do anything of the sort. And Cora wanted to make sure that Eli saw more of her planet.

Cora had mentioned Grand Admiral Thrawn’s great interest in art to her parents before, so they weren’t so surprised to hear of it from Eli. “Ah yes, we’ve heard of the Grand Admiral’s affinity for the fine arts from Coraline,” Alma said.

“It seems rather bizarre for a Grand Admiral to take such an interest in art, is it not?” Leoline asked, not all concerned about his alien status, but that someone of such high ranking in the Empire would bother with the fine arts. Then again, everyone had their hobbies.

“It’s how he learns of other cultures and studies their strengths and weaknesses,” Cora would say before a quick glance to Eli to verify what she said was indeed true. He knew more about the Grand Admiral, after all. He could help clarify some things.

~~~

Skye grinned as Adlai easily corrected her, that he wouldn’t hesitate to share a bed, but anything further may make him feel uncomfortable. It was a situation she could easily agree with, just as long as she didn’t have to sleep alone.

She grew too used to having Adlai by her side, that the thought of sleeping alone was an unpleasant one.

As he encouraged her towards his room, Skye easily stepped with him, momentarily forgetting that she should probably go to her room first to get changed into something more comfortable for sleeping. It wasn’t on her mind at all.

“I think just sleeping for tonight will be okay,” she chuckled, stepping into the room with him.

~~~

Some forced down time. Perhaps that’s just what Thrawn needed, as the extent of any of his downtown was spending a small section of his day with Eira, or enjoying a holobook in the silence of his private quarters in between tasks. “Perhaps you are right,” he said with a sigh.

But what were they to do in the time they had to wait before someone fixed the elevator?

Eira suggested that a game of Shah-tezh would have been a good way to pass the time, and although they obviously didn’t have the game with them, it led Thrawn to another idea. There were some games he had on his datapad, for reasons he could not remember. Eli or Faro probably convinced him to download a game or two, ‘just in case’

It looks like this was that ‘just in case’ moment.

“We could play a game of holochess,” he offered, pulling out his datapad. “Not quite the same as Shah-tezh, but it will pass the time.”

Eli would accept learning from Cora as well, and nodded agreeably. He was curious how Rosaline would have described it all, and her insight, but he would bank that curiosity for the time being. He’d have more opportunities to get familiar with Cora’s siblings, he was certain – this was all going to go well.

At the comment of Thrawn’s art, Eli added, “There is Grand Admiral Savit, who composes orchestras. It isn’t too strange,” even by military standards. At least Thrawn used his art to look at things – that was probably the strange part. Savit did music just to do music.

Still, everyone had their hobbies, and side interests. “But yes, he does use it to better the Empire in understanding other cultures, and making sure to win battles. It’s surprisingly effective; I didn’t think it would be, but it’s hard to deny results.” And Thrawn had gotten plenty, even if he was now hung up on the Coruscant rebels.

Would it be too much to allow an off-hand comment about hobbies? Probably. He set it aside for now.

~***~

Skye voiced no protest, not that Adlai expected it. They’d only started sleeping together as it was, but he still wasn’t keen to separate where it wasn’t needed – and it was no longer needed here. Skye followed, and he turned her into his room which was just that.

A grand bedroom with a refresher off to the side.

It was how he’d left it, bed perfectly made, although he realized belatedly he had luggage to put away. He chuckled a bit at his own forgetfulness, “Well, I suppose I’ll be joining you once things are a touch more put up,” he didn’t want to wake up to difficulties finding his clothing, as well as his toothbrush.

Which he should also be using before bed.

“The woes of coming to a new place,” that wasn’t really new at all. Still, he gestured out, “As you can see, I do not change much of my decorations,” the colorations and schemes weren’t really that different from his home in Serenno. “I should probably look into updating my styles at some point.”

As he said it, he went to one suitcase to begin to unpack it.

~***~

Holochess would have been one of Eira’s own suggestions, admittedly. It was a familiar enough game, although she made a mental note to dial back her competency. She was good, but unlike dejarik, it wasn’t a good she felt would go unrecognized in the tedium of an elevator. Sure, it was easy enough to explain away, but she didn’t need unnecessary questions. Unnecessary concerns.

That’s what playing a game was meant to avoid, anyways. Talking, of anything notable.

“I think I’m more than familiar enough with holochess to acquiesce,” Eira encouraged, setting her datapad aside before sliding closer, assuming they’d play with his datapad between them to set up the game. They could play it on separate datapads, but that wasn’t so fun as a hovering board, where each move could be seen clearly as it was contemplated.

Expression and reaction were a huge part of the game, after all. “Is holochess familiar where you’re from, or did you have to learn it here?” She still wasn’t sure how separated everything was from his home.

And it was an innocent enough question.

“It sounds a bit odd,” Alma said, trying to think up an image of a Grand Admiral using art to gain an advantage over his enemies.

“But clever,” Silas finished. “I certainly would never consider analyzing art to learn about one’s strengths and weaknesses.”

Cora was relieved that her parents didn’t think it too odd that Grand Admiral Thrawn was a bit of an art aficionado and used that hobby to better serve as their admiral and to help the Empire. It was certainly interesting to see his mind in action, the few times she had the opportunity to see him in his element surrounded by art of another culture.

“And did you mention that you shared his interest in art, Eli?” Rosaline asked, the one in the family who enjoyed looking at fine art the most and drawing forth her own inspirations from it.

~~~

Skye’s eyes trailed across Adlai’s bedroom, reminded in many ways of his room back on Coruscant. She could see his connection to home in the comparison between the two rooms. This trip really was overdue.

He still had his things to unpack, and Skye chuckled at him. “Maybe I should use that time to go get changed and ready for bed,” she said, remembering finally that she couldn’t go to sleep in her current clothes. It wouldn’t be the most comfortable to sleep in.

One hand trailed over Adlai’s arm as she stepped away. “I’ll be sure not to leave you alone for too long.” It wasn’t her intention at all. She even had half a mind to tease that she could simply return to the bed in nothing, but they were only supposed to be sleeping that night.

Maybe another night.

With that, Skye departed from the room to head back to her own, where she made sure to not take too long to get dressed for bed before rejoining Adlai in his room.

~~~

Eira easily agreed to a game, and Thrawn readjusted himself to better face her and set the datapad down between them. With a press of a few buttons, a holoboard manifested itself above the datapad with pieces in their starting position, ready for the game to begin.

“We have a similar game, but the rules are slightly different,” Thrawn said. “So I had to learn the differences, but they weren’t significant. Mainly, the names of the pieces were different, and some of the movements allowed were also different.” But on the whole, it was the same game, and it took Thrawn no time to learn the differences in the rules.

“Do you play holochess often?” She had mentioned that she was familiar enough with the game, but Thrawn, admittedly, wondered if she would pose a challenge for him, or if this would be an easy victory.

He was fairly confident in his own skills at holochess, but he wouldn’t go around bragging about them.

Well, Eli was pleased her parents didn’t completely disregard Thrawn’s talents. Silas, at any rate, seemed intrigued by it. Eli would have to at least relay to Thrawn that some people were starting to come around to his way of doing things, and believing there was truth to it, too. He might be glad. Might not be surprised it was Cora’s family, given where Cora ended up.

Eli wasn’t sure how much stock he put in families.

He certainly wasn’t offering Eli’s parents a role on his staff.

“I’ve grown to appreciate art more, thanks to him,” Eli said, “though I can’t say I’m anywhere near his level in interest or appreciation, but I’ve become fonder of it,” which was true, but he didn’t think he’d have half of Thrawn’s appreciation or interest. Not for lack of trying; Thrawn was simply that intense about art. “I’m still more interested in the patterns of numbers.”

Which Thrawn didn’t fully grasp, but he respected.

That was why Eli was there.

“It’s not aesthetically pleasing,” but he knew an architect would understand the importance of balancing aesthetic, with cold, hard, measurements.

~***~

Adlai glanced up as Skye commented about changing, catching her look as her fingers trailed away from him. He smiled lightly, not going to oppose her getting more ready for bed, since that would probably be necessary. He hadn’t put too much thought into that part of things, himself, after all.

“I won’t be going anywhere,” just around the room to set things up, as Skye vanished, and then to dress down into his own silken sleepwear. Thankfully it didn’t take him too long; he’d packed well, and knew where everything went when he unpacked, too.

He was all set by the time that Skye returned, and he gestured her towards the bed as a clap dimmed the lights a bit. Another would turn them off completely. It was far better than having to get up and go turn them off from the bed.

The lights were at the door, after all.

Too far a walk.

“Thank you,” he said then, “for coming with me, and meeting my family…even if it turned out differently then we expected.” He knew there wouldn’t be a turnabout. He’d not get to meet Skye’s family.

~***~

Eira wasn’t surprised by Mitth’raw’nuruodo answer. Chess had undergone many changes, after all. Shah-tezh was the progenitor of holochess and dejarik both, so it was no wonder that the chiss had their own version of the game.

At his query, she shook her head, “Not as often as its progenitor,” honest enough, though holochess was significantly closer to shah-tezh than other variants, so she knew she was good at it. It was just a matter of remembering the pieces and their moves, and the different victories.

Eira wouldn’t mind taking the lead and opening with a central pawn, at any rate. “What game do you have where you’re from?” She probably didn’t know the name, but she was trying to learn the names. She had gotten better with his name, after all.

To her own detriment.

She had to remember to call him Thrawn when she masqueraded as an Inquisitor.

One time saying ‘Mitth’raw’nuruodo’ and it’d be all over. If Lin knew the struggle, he might understand more fully why she didn’t let them use Ae’lia, no matter how she preferred her own, true name.

Rosaline could respect the balance between a delicate aesthetic with the reality and importance of numbers and measurements, and she nodded at Eli with a smile.

But it would be Leoline to speak up next. “So the pretty boy prefers numbers. I wouldn’t have expected that.”

Cora covered her face with one hand and lightly groaned. They were doing so well. Of course one of them had to misbehave. Of course it had to be Leo.

Silas and Alma didn’t say anything, but the expressions on their faces indicated that they were now thinking similar to Leo. That now not only have they pinned down Eli based on where he was from, but also on his looks.

“That’s hardly fair,” Cora said to Leo, who merely shrugged and continued eating.

~~~

Skye returned in nothing more than a tank and some shorts, and she almost wanted to ask if Adlai had to go to bed with a shirt on. Almost. She could play nice for one evening.

Sliding under the covers, she smiled at Adlai at his comment. “Of course, it was a pleasure meeting them, despite the unexpected reveal.” Being revealed as a couple was certainly not in the plans for the trip this time around, but it had happened, through whatever little nuances Adlai’s parents were able to pick up on his son.

At least they seemed supportive.

“I like them.” They accepted her easily enough, and she didn’t pick up on any negative emotions. “I can definitely see the similarities between you and your parents.” And not just the obvious physical characteristics, but in their personalities as well.

~~~

Eira played holochess, but not as often as the other versions of it, and so he figured that shah-tezh was her preferred game of strategy. He made a note of that, so that maybe one day in the near future, he could challenge her to a game of shah-tezh and see her skills in action.

Getting to know someone over a logical game of strategy was an ideal way to get inside their mind and figure them out, and Thrawn still had much to figure out about Eira.

Thrawn watched her opening movie, and he countered in a similar maneuver, with a central pawn facing her own. “It’s called Sy-Reti,” he answered. “As I’ve mentioned, it’s very similar to holochess, but the pieces are different, with different names and slightly different moves, though there are some similarities, such as how the pawn and the queen moves.”

He played Sy-Reti often, to the point where others would often refuse a game with him, because they knew the great strategist would beat them, yet again. And once Thrawn picked up the rules of holochess, it had become a similar situation. People became aware of his reputation with the game, and only a few would dare to try and play him.

It was refreshing to finally pick up the game again with someone he was trying to learn more about.

‘Pretty.’

Eli couldn’t help but roll his eyes, even as Cora groaned, and her parents remained stoic. He didn’t care, right then, if they saw that action and judged him for it. They were already judging him, and apparently that now included his face.

He let his attention shift to Leoline, a wry smirk coming to his lips, tinted by that exasperation, “You know, that’s the only insult a group of pirates could find for me, too,” he knew Leoline meant it as an insult. He wouldn’t be covering his tracks with tact that easily.

A ‘pretty boy’ should be interested in pretty things – not math. Aesthetics weren’t meant to bleed together this way, and yet, they did. “Admittedly, I did expect pirates to have a better sense of scathing words than yourself,” was he suggesting the pirates were smarter, or simply more crass? He’d let Leo puzzle it out. “It’s still interesting to hear it from two very different sources.”

And, he laughed, “I didn’t realize I was that pretty. I guess I should have looked into a job as a model?” That, he tossed to Cora – the one dating him, who had some obligation to humor his fancy – but he thought she might enjoy it, anyways.

~***~

They tucked in together, Skye seeming quite comfortable with the situation, and now, with his parents. He was relieved, although he’d been more concerned about them liking her, this was still good progress.

“So, you’re not as concerned about my father anymore?” Perhaps now they both understood a bit of why he was off-putting. He’d already figured things out, and was annoyed by the duplicity the pair were playing at – his own son, in his own house, lying to him! The audacity!

He understood it, anyways.

“Or mother?” She hadn’t voiced much concern there, but he may as well check, as he wrapped an arm around Skye to keep her near him, as they’d settle in for the evening. No doubt, to better conversations about what to do tomorrow soon.

There was always too much to do, and so little time.

~***~

“Sy-Reti,” Eira repeated, to herself, but also to make sure she was getting that nuance of tone right. Tonal languages would always retain that struggle and second-guessing for a speaker of a non-tonal language.

She wondered if Mitth’raw’nuruodo had overthought non-tonal languages in the same way.

“You’ll have to teach me, one day.” Not that he ever would. There would never be the time for it, but it hardly meant Eira wouldn’t try to look into it, later. It couldn’t be only his home that played it, right?

Eira slipped naturally into a strategy she was familiar with from her former master – a terribly aggressive one that worked on some, but not others. Intelligent enough – which had surprised her until she realized he did have a mind for strategy when he cared – she still expected it to be obvious enough to Mitth’raw’nuruodo after some time, even if he didn’t immediately expect such a tactic from Eira – to sacrifice pawns relentlessly to open up larger wins.

It wasn’t her preferred strategy, either – so missteps in it would be easy to make. Errors, easy. Losing, easy.

“I wouldn’t have guessed Sy-Reti had a queen,” Shah-tezh had no such role, which suggested this one was more tied to chess than the original, “is she a less aggressive figure, or more terrifying in that game?” It was hard to imagine an improvement, unless it involved jumping.

Cora bit her bottom lip with Eli’s first comment, that that was the only insult pirates could find for him as well. She felt it inappropriate to laugh, even if her family did deserve any remarks Eli made. She wanted to keep a fine balance between her family and her boyfriend.

But Eli’s last remark, that maybe he should’ve been a model instead, did cause Cora to chuckle, and she threw a smile his way. “Smart, pretty, and funny - a complete catch, wouldn’t you agree?” She turned her attention back to her family, as if daring them to disagree with Cora, to say that he wasn’t worthy of her.

At this point, the only reason why they would disagree is because he wasn’t Core, which shouldn’t matter.

“A respectable young man from a respectable family,” Silas finally admitted, nodding his head but not looking Eli in the eyes. No one wanted to admit their comments had been petty at best, and all because of where he was from.

“Thank you,” Cora said with a nod to her father. She wouldn’t hold her breath that her mother, or brother, would admit the same.

~~~

After spending dinner with his parents and getting to know them better, Skye felt less concerned with them as she did earlier, after she had first met them. “No, I don’t think I’m as concerned about your father, or your mother, anymore.”

Adlai’s mother, she had never been worried about, unless the woman was that good at concealing her thoughts.

Skye snuggled further into Adlai and wrapped an arm around him. “Not unless there’s something I’m missing that you need to tell me,” she chuckled. Like if they were really good actors, or if they had a certain speech pattern when confronted with something they didn’t like.

She sincerely hoped it wasn’t that. She wanted them to like her, dammit. But she also wouldn’t try too hard to get them to like her. She would simply continue to be herself and hope that was enough.

~~~

Thrawn knew he shouldn’t have been amused by Eira’s attempted pronunciation of the game’s name, but he was. And much like how he repeated his full name for her when she insisted on learning it correctly, he repeated the name of the game once more for her, so she could better hear the tonal inflections in the syllables.

“If we both ever have the time to play such a game together, then I shall teach you.” But there was the problem. Time. He was increasingly busy between Coruscanti rebels and typical admiral tasks, and Eira was a buddy actress. They were lucky to have the time together as it were.

Before elevator intervention.

Thrawn easily picked up on the strategy that Eira was using - one he expected from other players, but not from her. No matter, he could easily pick up her missteps and flaws to not lose any of his important pieces, except for the occasional sacrifice as necessary.

“I would say that piece is as equally an aggressive figure in Sy-Reti,” though the piece wasn’t exactly called the queen. “But unlike in holochess, if the queen is removed, then the game is over.” One of the clear differences in the two games.

Eli was terribly satisfied that Silas couldn’t look him in the eyes, but equally frustrated with it. ‘It isn’t common for Core to be confronted on their behavior.’ He knew this, not from art, but from dealing with them. Their polite society and politics revolved around a certain level of obfuscation and back-handed plays.

Though Eli understood it, that didn’t mean he had to play by those rules.

He definitely understood why politics eluded Thrawn, more and more, though. Especially in another language, and a different culture, although from what Eli gleaned, he wasn’t any better back home, either.

‘And from a respectable planet.’ Eli bit back on that comment, the food helping to keep him from saying it. They’d likely sooner choke on the food than say that – and they hadn’t seen his home, so they couldn’t say that.

He wasn’t sure they could judge his family, either – but he wouldn’t argue with the positive here.

He also decided right then it wasn’t his job to make them more comfortable in their shame, either, so he just continued to eat in that terrible silence that followed Silas’s approval.

~***~

Adlai hummed, but denied, “No, there’s no secrets here. My parents can lie,” they were politicians, after all, “but they weren’t lying with us,” he was certain of that. As they knew his nuances, he understood theirs, as well. They had been all right with things as they were, which was a relief to both himself and Skye.

He was glad to have Skye in his arms right then.

To not need to lie about any of this around them.

“Tomorrow,” he murmured, “we’ll see some of my friends, and a few places in town,” more of a city-trip, than a natural one. He hoped Skye wouldn’t mind too much, it had just been the day that worked best to meet up with some of his friends.

Then tomorrow they’d worry about the mountain and waking up early enough for the little farmer’s market. He knew she wouldn’t mind that at all. He was looking forward to it. It had been a bit since he went on such a hike.

~***~

At least Mitth’raw’nuruodo was learning to phrase things as ‘if’, now. Eira would consider that a positive sign, as he did well to catch onto her strategy. She wasn’t at all perturbed. The goal had been to lose, though perhaps her lack of concern about putting up much of a challenge would be somewhat notable.

Not that she’d ever appeared too competitive to begin with.

“So the Queen is both King and Queen?” Eira wondered, “Is there a King piece at all in Sy-Reti?” She’d still be looking for cues for when she got it right. Repetition and change were the only ways to get it figured out.

The King obviously didn’t play the same role, at any rate. Unless two pieces could be used to end the game. That would be another, notable change. Definitely different from any variants Eira was familiar with, in that case.

And who would play a queen so aggressively if losing it ended the game?

The next one to speak up wasn’t either parent, or even Cora, but Rosaline, “Wow, you actually managed to shut them up. You’ve impressed me enough for one evening.”

“Rosaline!” Both parent admonished, to which Rosa just shrugged.

“You can’t deny that the two of you were being rude, and you as well, Leo, and why? Because he’s from Wild Space instead of the Core?” she continued. “That’s rather ridiculous, don’t you think?”

Cora smiled at her oldest sister, “Thank you.”

Rosa just winked at Cora before refocusing her attention back on Eli. “Now, I remember you listed a rather impressive resume with the Empire. How long have you been serving?”

~~~

Skye was relieved that Adlai confirmed that his parents weren’t lying in any capacity to them. That they weren’t secretly displeased with the entire situation. Anything less than accepting would certainly have made the rest of the trip a bit more awkward.

But they had more people to navigate, with her as nothing more than a bodyguard, she assumed. The less people who knew their secret before they were ready to tell the public, the better. And Skye imagined that also included any of his close friends.

“What are your friends like?” she asked, her voice softer as she began to relax for the evening, surrounded by the warmth of Adlai’s body. Skye couldn’t recall if he had ever mentioned his friends before, what they were like, or even their names.

Even if she would be introduced as his bodyguard, she wanted to know a little about the people Adlai called his friends.

~~~

With each pronunciation, Eira got closer to the correct enunciation and emphasis of the syllables. Thrawn wouldn’t say anything about it then, choosing to allow Eira to continue to figure out where she needed to improve.

“In a way, it is,” Thrawn confirmed for her, as she continued to ask more questions about Sy-Reti. “I guess one could say there is a King piece, in regards to movement and hierarchy, but simultaneously, it’s hardly the same.”

He continued to counteract her moves easily in the holochess game, and soon enough he could see that there was no strategy Eira could play in which she would come out on top. Thrawn won, but he would allow the game to continue until either she saw that, or he could call checkmate.

“If you are that curious about the game, then perhaps we could arrange one day soon for me to show it to you,” he chuckled. And it would be another opportunity to see Eira in action at a strategy game, something he found himself fascinated by.

Well, Eli had Rosa on his side. He couldn’t help the cheeky smile that came to his lips, even if a flush followed at being a bit called out for what he did, as well. Not completely embarrassed, but still somewhat uncomfortable to have it stated, all the same. Not that he’d deny what he did, or how he did it, either.

“Thank you,” Eli echoed Cora, “I guess being around the Grand Moff has paid off,” another shot, really. Grand Moff Tarkin was from the Outer Rim, after all. How scandalous that had to be to everyone else.

It was no wonder everyone was afraid of him; he had to navigate Core waters, and unlike Eli, he was good at it. The best, probably.

“I’ve been with the Empire about…nine years now,” he hadn’t thought about it, but that was true, considering the time in the Academy and then all of his missions. It had gone by in a blur. Had it really been nine years? Well, a Grand Admiral wasn’t made overnight. “Did you ever consider joining?”

She had two siblings in it.

He’d be happy to keep up amicable conversation with himself, Rosa, and Cora, if the others were put out for the time being.

~***~

Adlai chuckled, “Trying to answer that question would be like trying to tell you about everyone back in Coruscant,” certainly, Skye had recognized the mismatch of people in the Shah-tezh. His friends were just as varied, gained through different walks of life. Some through school, others through the war, and a few through politics itself.

And even then, he didn’t think just stating their origins would tell Skye anything about them.

Not really.

“You’ll meet them,” he said, more reassuring in tone, “the only one you may want to tread carefully around is Dina; she’s another Clone Wars veteran.” So the reason was obvious, but other than that, there was no real reason to be worried.

They had no other agenda.

Unlike the Shah-tezh.

“You can’t be more afraid of them than you were Shay.”

~***~

Eira would play until checkmate, of course. No need to call it early, and she’d set out to lose, anyways. That she could see it was becoming more obvious was no reason to throw the game earlier. There was still too much time left. What if Mitth’raw’nuruodo didn’t want to play another game? Then what?

Although he talked of setting up something for another day with Sy-Reti.

How she wished she could accept.

How she knew she couldn’t.

Her smile came, and then flickered off her face, “I don’t think that will be possible,” she said, moving her piece, “but it’s a nice thought. If we lived in different worlds….” Different ways, different times – oh, how different things could have been!

But, they didn’t.

“Oh no, I knew that it wasn’t something I would ever consider doing, not that it isn’t an admirable job,” Rosa said with a shake of her head. A military life was one she decided at a young age wasn’t meant for her.

She wanted to stay on Anaxes, close to her family.

“But I had always known I wanted to get into some form of design,” and so growing up surrounded by real estate, she became fascinated by the design of buildings and looked further into architecture.

“And we have always encouraged her,” Alma, breaking her silence, said. She would finally make eye contact with Eli again, but without any shame or guilt evident in her features.

Not that she didn’t feel any, but she knew when to mask her thoughts.

“So you’ve been in the Empire longer than our Coraline here,” Silas said, motioning to his youngest daughter. “How long has it been now? Six years?”

“Seven,” Cora corrected.

~~~

Skye hummed as Adlai answered her questions. She knew she had nothing to worry about, but she did make a mental note to be careful around the one called Dina, a Clone Wars veteran. She couldn’t imagine that it would be an issue, especially as she was merely Skye the bodyguard to them, but still.

Anything could happen.

That had been obvious when Adlai’s parents figured them out.

She chuckled, “I don’t think it's possible to be more afraid of them than I was of Shay.” Sort of a joke. Sort of.

Shay still terrified her a little.

“Well I can’t wait to meet them,” she murmured. “Since they’re your friends, I’m sure they’re wonderful people.” Skye would still remain on alert around them, for the secret.

~~~

Thrawn frowned, unable to immediately accept Eira’s answer. They were able to meet up that day, and times before, to spend some time together, so why not again so he could teach her a game of Sy-Reti?

He wondered briefly if there was something more she wasn’t telling him. Something she was hiding.

That idea had been planted in his head by Tarkin, after all.

Thrawn moved his piece. “I hardly see why not, if we were able to make today happen. Unless, of course, you are trying to avoid me,” he said with a wry smile, half-joking, and half not. He had been getting the impression, before she met up with him today, that she had been doing exactly that.

But if she was, then why?

The Empire had its engineers and designers, but it probably wasn’t as freeform or as independent a craft as Rosaline got to enjoy now, so Eli could understand why she wouldn’t have considered that line of employment. Even if it may have meant designing Vader’s quarters. He heard the Empire lost…a lot of architects during that.

He didn’t really want to know more.

Alma and Silas thought to contribute again, off about how long Cora had been in the Empire. The time didn’t seem strange to Eli, he knew they were fairly close in age, after all, and she must have started right out of school, too. “How long has Baline been with the Empire?” Eli opted to ask, since they were talking again.

And the subject had shifted back to the Empire. He may as well find out about the other son. He doubted they knew much more about what he did than Cora knew, so he wouldn’t ask them about that. Baline was lucky to be working on anything so top secret.

‘Though maybe we should hope he isn’t working with Vader.’

Just in case.

Or Inquisitors.

~***~

Adlai knew it was no joke. Shay really only got scarier after meeting her. Somehow, she lost none of her threat potential. He really would have liked to see Shay and Tarkin have it out, but he also knew that was absolutely not something that should happen.

Good thing Shay didn’t really write about Tarkin.

Ever.

Unless it was under a pseudonym…

“Good,” he chuckled, and turned to his side, before trying to draw Skye against him, “then get some rest,” he said, “you’ll get there sooner,” not technically…it would just feel sooner because of the weird blessing that was sleep time-travel.

He intended to pass into that realm himself with Skye in his arms. If one arm was asleep in the morning, so be it. It was a price worth paying, for the time being. And it wore off quickly enough, anyways.

~***~

‘I am.’ Eira couldn’t say that, of course, although she wondered what his reaction would be if she did. She shook her head, “It isn’t that,” an easy denial, since enough of her didn’t want to avoid him and continue on like this. “It’s only that I know as things get busier for me, I am certain they will get busier for you. You will have to begin to prepare for where the Empire places you; I’m sure that’ll involve quite a bit of study.”

A touch of a wry smile, as she leaned away from the board. She knew the game was over soon, no need to be so close to analyze it.

“And it’s better to avoid any further scandal before you leave,” she sighed, “I’m sure this elevator situation is already going to turn into one. Things are difficult enough for you,” she looked up, the wryness leaving her smile.

“The only alien in high ranking in the Empire…you don’t need to become loathed because of rumors about me. I’m sure you’ll say it doesn’t matter, but I don’t want to hurt your career, and I know how people think.” Too well, sometimes. “I tried to dissuade some of them by spending more time with Lin.” A small chuckle, a terrible admittance, “I’m not sure how well that’ll hold after today.”

Shay had already made certain headlines perfectly clear.

She’d rile up any amount of xenophobia based on their relationship; make men hate Mitth’raw’nuruodo just because she liked him, which made him, and his kind, a threat to all men, even if they never would have had a chance of interesting Eira to begin with.

“I joined just two years after him, so he’s been with the Empire for nine years, just like yourself,” Cora answered.

“Has it really been that long?” Alma mused, at the same time the dishes were collected and dessert was brought out. One of Cora’s favorites: a fluffy vanilla cake covered in a variety of fruits native to Anaxes.

“We both joined the Empire right after school,” Cora commented. With a smile, she eagerly dug her fork into her dessert and took a bite, enjoying the fresh flavors of the fruit. “And since he’s two years older than me, he’s now been serving in the Empire in their engineering department for nine years.”

And now he was working on a secret project that none of them knew any of the details about.

Cora was wildly curious though, as to what it could be that she or Eli couldn’t know about.

She wondered if Grand Admiral Thrawn knew of this project.

~~~

Skye easily curled into Adlai as he drew her closer into him. It didn’t take long for her to sleep into an unconscious state, with a few dreams on her mind.

She woke up early the next morning, one arm still wrapped around Adlai. While her sleep wasn’t completely dream-free, it was still a sleep of little disturbance, which was a blessing for her.

She had spent too long with sleep plagued by nightmares.

“Good morning,” she mumbled, not even seeing if Adlai was already awake or not. Well, he would be soon by her stirring, at the very least. And they had a day planned with his friends.

It was best to get up and ready for that soon.

~~~

“If there’s one thing I can navigate in the Empire, it's a scandal.” Well, maybe not entirely, as Eli would complain, but they hardly ever bothered Thrawn. He may not be able to navigate the politics of social situations, but he just could hardly care.

He was a damn good Grand Admiral, and eventually others see that beyond any scandal or court martial Thrawn may have been involved with.

“I hardly need you to go out of your way to make sure I avoid a scandal or any repercussions for being seen with you.” He could handle it on his own, even if Tarkin may become more interested in why Thrawn was spending more time with Eira with little information to show for it.

But, slowly, he was gleaming that information from her, just by observing her in different environments.

Even if he didn’t wish to admit that to himself.

He was hardly concerned with getting too busy for Eira, as part of his assignment was to spend time with her, which, of course, she would never need to find out. “Then I suppose we’ll just have to use this time now to talk about whatever we wish to discuss, since it seems we won’t have the time after we get out of this elevator.”

Another move of a holochess piece. Checkmate.

‘Shame I don’t know him.’ Though Eli knew there were plenty of people who joined at the same time as him, and he had no idea of their existence. Still, he thought he might have seen someone with the credentials and family of Baline at the Royal Academy at Coruscant. Perhaps he had – and just never was introduced.

He’d certainly seen plenty in passing, and had many more in classes.

He ate of the dessert, though, recognizing a few of the fruits, but not all. They were still a delicious mix with the cake, that wasn’t too dry at all – thankfully. That always seemed hit or miss.

“I’m sure he must be doing some great work, to come from a family already entrenched in design, in a way,” Rosaline took the obvious progression, but Baline couldn’t be faulted for his own branching path, either. He wouldn’t admit right then he didn’t know any of Baline’s projects; he should have looked into it.

He knew there was one that Cora knew naught about, but he must have done other things before that, right? He ventured, “Has he been on the same project this whole time?” Yeah, that was stupid. He definitely should have asked more about what Baline had done.

Well, perhaps the parents would enjoy bragging about Baline a little.

It was safe territory.

~***~

Sleep was peaceful for Adlai, though waking was terrible in the way it always was – but at least, as consciousness slipped to him with murmured words, he was aware that Skye was still there, and his bed wasn’t the one back at Coruscant. He let out a groan before he opened his bleary eyes to see her, a sleepy smile gracing his lips as he looked at her.

“G’morning,” the words slid together, as his fingers slid over her cheek and under her ear, before falling a moment to rest there, feeling the pulse of her heart. The warmth. He could only sigh with the knowledge he had to get up, and get up he did, sitting up and stretching, hands dropping back, one running through his black hair.

Stars, how he still wished he could have slept in, but he knew without looking for a clock that he had to get up.

For indeed, the alarm started to buzz right then, eliciting another groan.

He shut it up quickly, “I shouldn’t plan things so early,” an easy complaint, but he’d start to move to get ready for the day, all the same.

~***~

Eira had her doubts about Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s ability to navigate social scandals. “I think you underestimate the power of a scandal, Grand Admiral,” there was a light tease in it, though it didn’t quite reach her eyes. There was still a seriousness to it that underlined it. It took one scandal for century upon century of Jedi works to be erased completely. One, well-orchestrated, scandal.

It could be the end of Mitth’raw’nuruodo, too.

Perhaps she ought to let it be.

Perhaps she ought to help Shay take him down with a scandal.

And yet she knew she couldn’t do that, couldn’t put him in checkmate as he so easily did her in the game. She still smiled at that, and leaned back from the board as it flashed the victor results without him needing to say a word, “Well played,” she was never a sore loser. Especially not when she meant to lose.

She let her shoulder fall against the elevator wall as he suggested they talk about whatever they would never be able to talk about again. ‘Would that I….’ This wasn’t Canto Bight nor Spira. What happened her, would not stay here. “You seem to always be asking me to accompany you of late,” Eira noted, “there must be something you’ve been hoping to discern or ask,” that touch of wryness returned, “what is it I have not revealed to you yet, Mitth’raw’nuruodo?” Teasing, again, but more genuine. “Certainly you’ve figured me out by now through my fashion sense and body of work.”

Alma easily took the bait. “Oh, he’s been doing such great work with the Empire.” She never turned up an opportunity to brag about any of her kids, and the one missing was no exception.

“How long has he been working on that project now?” Silas asked. “Two years?”

Cora hummed her confirmation. “That seems correct.” She couldn’t remember the exact amount of time that had passed, given all their lives were so hectic, but that timeframe seemed right to her.

She missed Bale. A lot. He was the sibling closest to her in age, so they had always been pretty close growing up, but now she hadn’t seen him since before he was reassigned to his current project.

“How do you like the cake?” Cora asked Eli. “It’s a traditional one here on Anaxes, and one of my favorite desserts.”

~~~

Skye froze with the seemingly innocent yet intimate gesture of Adlai’s fingers resting under her ear, on her pulse. She didn’t know how to react in the moment, and so when Adlai sat up, she brushed it aside, seemingly trying to forget about it.

Stars, she needed to work out some old hangups.

“And yet you did plan things early,” she chuckled, sitting up to move towards the edge of the bed. Skye needed to go back to her room to get ready, as much as she didn’t want to leave. “I’m going to go get ready. I’ll meet you right outside in a few,” she said, standing from the bed.

An impish smile crossed her face. “Unless you want to be a little naughty and make out some.” She was joking, sort of.

The idea was an incredibly alluring one.

~~~

Thrawn noted the tone, the slight off-look of Eira as she spoke of scandals. It almost made him believe…”And have you had experience with the power of a scandal before?” If she was in the public eye so much, then perhaps she had had to deal with her fair share of small scandals before, none that would have ever reached his radar.

But still, he had to ask.

He wanted to see how she would answer.

His body leaned against the wall he sat next to as the game finished. There was no surprise that he won, but Thrawn had a wish that it was somehow longer, or that they could play another game. Why not? We may be in here a while longer.

He may suggest it in a little bit.

“Maybe what I’m trying to figure out exactly is what you haven’t revealed to me yet, and is something I do not know yet,” he answered with a light chuckle. A light tease, but Thrawn knew the truth in his words. “Maybe I haven’t figured you out yet, Eira. You remain an enigma to me.”

The redirection worked well enough, and that let Eli know that Baline had worked on other projects. If those weren’t top secret, he’d have to take a look at them and see what Baline was capable of doing. He was curious, just as he was curious about what Rosa had created in terms of structures.

However, he allowed the redirection to food. He gave a pleased hum around his current bite, before answering after it had been swallowed, “It’s good,” he didn’t want to admit he didn’t know all the fruits, “the cake’s nice and moist, and the fruits are delicious. None of it’s overpowering.”

Unlike some chocolate cakes.

“What is this called?”

If it was a traditional thing, it evidently wasn’t just “white cake with fruit”, it probably had some fancy name to go along with it. Perhaps it was named after one of the fruits, or the kind of frosting? Well, he’d learn soon enough.

~***~

Yes, yes Adlai did plan early, and he regretted it with every fiber of his bone every morning, though he knew in about five minutes he’d think he was overreacting – and go through this entire process again, and again.

For now, as Skye got up and teased him with a make-out session, he laughed a bit, but walked over to her, “Tempting,” wouldn’t it be nice to just fall back to the bed? But then they’d be late for breakfast, and then they’d be late for catching his friends, and things wouldn’t be good for the rest of the day.

Possibly not bad, but certainly not good.

Still, he’d leave her with a kiss on the lips when he got close – breaking it to keep it from escalating, and heading towards the attached refresher so he could start going about his own preparations, “I’ll see you soon, Skye,” there was still a teasing note in his tone.

Perhaps he’d have to consider staying in her room this night; he might feel a touch more at ease that way.

~***~

Eira hadn’t. Not really, although she had been close. Ae’lia was another story all together, but those near scandals were enough to make her smile again, as she answered, “Why do you think I have a journalist for a manager? She keeps me out of trouble. Only appropriate scandals,” she held up one finger at that, before lowering it, “but I’ve seen what it can do to people.”

Of course, Mitth’raw’nuruodo gave her no answer. ‘I know why.’ Two reasons, of course. Eira knew he was looking into rebel activity, thanks to Shay. She also had seen enough of the signs before of an infatuation that she suspected still lingered.

Stars knew it did for her despite what she knew.

Despite what he suspected.

“Mygeeto’s art didn’t help you any?” Her own tease; she would assume he’d studied it. She didn’t assume she was wrong. “Or Coruscanti?” Wouldn’t that be the safer route to take this conversation, “Actually,” she sat up, struck by a new thought, “how much does a person’s home culture impact them, if they move into another culture? Is it still the overarching influence?”

Art.

Art was always safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back