• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

“You’re welcome,” he slid in after Skye, taking his seat, and leaning back. Unlike Skye, he was relaxed, although he kept his gaze on the ceiling, as if he was distracted.

At Skye’s question, he shot her a look.

The driver wasn’t exactly ‘in’ on things. Skye should not be asking questions about behavior right now. “Well, I hope there will be some,” he allowed some nervousness to touch his voice, “We agreed to this,” amicable.

They’d be seen together again in public, but he knew, of course, that the situation was still a sad one. If it was worse, they wouldn’t be meeting at all, but would have handled things at a distance. As it was, they still meant to give the impression that they were friends, at the least.

He knew some rumors had already started, thanks to Eira’s acting outside.

He knew Shay had also been quick to silence and bury an article that came out with Thrawn in it, too. Gelato and Thrawn.

Of course.

At least Shay sometimes used her powers for good.

The speeder slowed, and stopped, and Adlai was the first out of it. Although he considered offering his hand to Skye, he opted against it. Still, he held it open for her.

Thankfully, they wouldn’t be the first ones there. Eira and Shay were waiting in the lobby.

Shay was put-together, oddly enough picking a dark blue dress, though not quite the shade of Skye.

Eira’s hair was loose, un-styled. Rather than black, she’d gone with a slate-gray dress. Dim. Fading. It said much more than little black dress would, in her situation.

~***~

Eli would use that logic for all of them – they’d all get the same thing and be happy about it. Probably not, but still – it was better than rations.

So, he exited the room and went down to the lobby to find out if a breakfast was an option.

It was not – but the cantina next door would have breakfast, so he just went next door, glad for the fresh air, and the few moments to try and gather himself.

There was some selection, but really it was all just different varieties of breakfast sandwiches. He opted to get a four egg, cheese, and nerf muffin sandwich, along with four cups of caf – with the sugar and cream on the side so everyone could sort that out for themselves.

He balanced the food and the cup holder, and made his way back to the inn, and to the rooms, hoping Cora didn’t have too much problems with Ortell and Tobias. Hoping they still lived up to the good feeling he had about them.

Skye realized her slip-up with a look from Adlai and the tone in his voice. Yeah this is gonna take some getting used to. Maybe she could play the role of the bodyguard who didn’t know how to act in certain social situations. It wouldn’t be far from the truth.

They arrived, and Skye followed Adlai out of the speeder. She was quick to spot Eira in the lobby, looking...rather different. They’re both playing the sad card quite well.

There was a Sephi standing next to Eira, whom Skye could only guess was Shay, dressed in a similar color as her. She resisted the great urge to make a comment on that.

Fearing a flub, Skye wouldn’t be the first to speak, but as they approached, she gave a small nod to the both of them, her face remaining neutral.

~~

Cora invited them to the room she and Eli shared after they were done getting ready. They agreed, and she went back into the room, now without Eli, and read through her messages on her datapad while she waited.

After a few minutes, they both came through the door she left open for them. They divulged in casual chatter while they waited for Eli’s return with food.

Soon enough, Eli arrived, arms quite full of food. Tobias perked when he saw the caf. He stood and walked over to Eli, “Here, let me help.” He grabbed the cup holder, naturally, and moved to set them on the table.

Tobias just wanted to be the first to get caf, which he loaded with a generous amount of sugar and no cream.

“What did you find?” Cora moved to grab her caf as well, adding light sugar and cream compared to Tobias’ sweetness in a cup.

Eira’s make-up was quite sparse that day, as well. Muted tones. Yet, still, when she saw Adlai, she allowed a smile to bloom – before it slipped, left, with the uncertainty of it all. Adlai crossed the distance between them and reached out to her, putting a hand on her shoulder. “Hey.”

She reached up, fingers falling over his hand, “Good to see you,” strain, of course, but still sincere.

He nodded, “Yeah,” before his attention turned to Shay. He squeezed Eira’s shoulder before stepping away, “Shay, I’m…well. I guess there’s no point in apologizing, is there?”

Shay just kept a dull stare on her face that said enough. No apology was going to be effective. He gestured to Skye.

“This is Skye Vind, new bodyguard, she’ll be joining us for this process.”

“What, you think Eira’s going to hurt you?”

“I’d be more concerned about you,” Adlai said.

Shay, at least, smirked, before it slipped and her expression resumed neutrality, “Sorry to have you along for all this boring PR nonsense, Skye,” she said, before putting a hand to Eira’s arm, turning her, and walking on, “Come along, we have a reservation in a private area.”

The restaurant certainly was fancy enough for that sort of thing, and dimly lit, with windows gilded in gold, vining plants along the walls, bioluminescent.

Another day, it could have been a romantic setting.

Shay would lead them up the stairs, and out to a private balcony.

~***~

When Eli got back, he found a door left open, and everyone waiting within. Tobias was first up, to get the cups. His ulterior motive was obvious, but Eli didn’t let it bother him. For once, he didn’t feel as tired as he usually would. Probably due to the panic.

At least he was feeling less of that, now.

“I found some egg, cheese, and nerf sandwiches,” Eli said, hoping it would suffice. He didn’t think anyone was a vegetarian, or any issues with lactose.

He would take his own sandwich from the bag, and unwrap it, while leaving the bag on the table for the others to take from. He’d get his caf after, and add his own sugar and cream, needing both in his caf. Even if he had a feeling that the caf wasn’t that dark at all.

“Everyone ready for today?”

Skye’s attention had turned towards Shay when she directed a brief apology to her, but she didn’t respond to it. Not when she didn’t know what exactly to say to it in public, but it didn’t matter as they continued to a private dining area.

A balcony that would have been an amazing spot for an intimate dinner on any other night.

“Quite the view for some boring PR nonsense,” Skye murmured before taking her seat. Of course, their conversation would be anything but. Again, she wouldn’t say anything else, but allow either Adlai or Eira to give her the cue of what to say, and when.

Though their privacy allowed more freedom, she didn’t want to risk anything.

~~

Ortell was the last to grab his coffee, which didn’t bother him. He had the simpler job of the group. He didn’t need to be quite on his toes like everyone else, though he still couldn’t allow himself to relax.

“Oh that sounds great,” Tobias said. Ortell grabbed a sandwich for himself and for Tobias, and both set out to consume their breakfast. Cora then took hers, not quite eating it as fast as the two ensigns were.

She didn’t think she could even chew that fast.

“Ready as I’ll ever be,” she answered between bites. Ortell and Tobias echoed their agreement. They all felt ready, until they reached that first obstacle.

The sandwiches were quickly finished, and they placed their trash back in the bag the breakfast came in. “So, I guess we’re ready to get out of here?” Ortell stood and stretched, satisfied from the breakfast.

Shay glanced at Skye for her comment. ‘You know nothing, girl.’ Perhaps bimbo would end up being correct. All strength, all looks, little brains. The scenery was necessary, in so many ways. Outside on a balcony, they would be seen by the press, and not heard. Shay had already made sure of that, setting up a few small static devices around the railing of the balcony, masked by the vines. Anyone attempting to record would find nothing.

The table was also some distance from the archway that led out. Anyone who stepped through it, still had a walk to get to them. Eavesdropping would be difficult for all but the most sensitive creatures – and there were none in the employ of the establishment, few likely to know to come that day. Shay had done all the arrangements, rather than set anything under Eira or Adlai name.

She took her seat, “You will find that much which appears to be boring PR nonsense is quite impactful, Miss Vind.” Shay said, as Eira took a seat at her side – Adlai across her, leaving Shay to sit across from Skye. “We are controlling a narrative, because our current narrative has been destroyed.”

“Shay….” Eira sighed.

Shay did, as well, and shook her head with a bit of a dismissive wave. “I know. Children. Families. I know. It doesn’t make my job easier. It’d be easier if you just wanted children, Eira.” The sharp tone of a frustrated manager, the words an act, as one of those employees came onto the balcony.

With a gesture from Shay, they continued their approach, smiling, “Pardon me, I would like to get you set with drink orders, if you are ready?”

“Yes,” Shay answered, “I would like a glass of sunberry wine,” she would actually like a glass of something stronger, but she’d be decent.

“Andoan white, please.” Adlai ordered.

“Just water,” Eira didn’t drink.

~***~

Eli was amused with how fast Ortell and Tobias ate. It reminded him that they were fresh out of the Academy. He recalled eating that fast. He had such short lunches – he had no choice but to shove food into his mouth.

He didn’t quite eat at their pace this time, but he didn’t leave much room for chatter as he ate, either.

Their food was eaten quickly, the bag discarded, the caf cups kept for a bit to nurse down the rest of the beverage. “Yeah. We’ll give you a head start, Ortell, just in case.” Let him at least get on his way back to the ship, before they started towards the jungle.

Not that Eli expected he, Tobias, and Cora were bound to figure out something before heading into the jungle, but he thought they should at least have Ortell in place in case they needed a quick rescue with the ship, or something else that required his presence in the ship.

Skye took her seat as Shay directed a comment towards her. She bit her tongue to prevent an unwanted slip-up, as she needed to try. Try to act like she could be in a group again, relying on others instead of just herself.

First impression was that Shay was not an easy Sephi to please. Or she’s perpetually upset with something or someone. Or both.

When it came to her turn to order her drink. Skye desperately wanted to order something with alcohol in it, maybe a lot, for she knew she would need it. But she behaved. She still had to play the role of a bodyguard, and a drunk one would not look well for Adlai. “Water, please.”

The waiter smiled and nodded his head. “Your drinks will be out shortly.” He turned and left the balcony, and the group were left alone once again.

~~

Ortell nodded, “Got it,sir.” Although it would suck if they managed to get into trouble before he could get to the ship, to at least be nearing his ship if they did manage to need help would be better than still just leaving the town.

“If there’s nothing more, then I’ll go ahead and head out.” And if there indeed was nothing more he needed to hear, Ortell would leave with a lazy salute to the three officers and bid good luck to them.

Tobias said good luck as well to Ortell, and Cora gave him a smile and small wave. “Now,” Tobias shifted his body to face Eli, “do we have an idea of where we’re going to start? Or are we picking a random entrance to the jungle?”

Cora had no idea for that answer, and she knew Eli had been working out ideas of what Proserpina was up to and where, but she also knew not being able to figure it out, not like Thrawn would have, frustrated him. And it did her as well. They were going into this nearly blind.

The real conversation would not begin immediately. Well, not the conversation that Skye was looking towards, anyways. The first matter, while they would be randomly interrupted, would be Shay gathering information about the break-up, and how they intended to address it with the public.

Both confirmed it would be done separately. Adlai would use his own social media, at first, as would Eira.

It was easy enough to acknowledge and consider what would come up in any future interviews Eira was likely to have due to her play coming out soon. What should, and should not, be said, were all discussed. Adlai had his own reputation to keep. So did Eira. They had to agree on all points so that none of them ended up contradicting the other, or making the situation worse, with hurt feelings and bitterness, because wishes weren’t respected.

It was, after all, amicable.

The problem was simply the public, and other journalist, and how they could swing certain phrasing and wording.

In the end, it would boil down to the simple fact that Adlai wanted a family, and Eira did not. Neither were at fault – the only fault was thinking one, or the other, might bend on their stance, but after time, they both realized that was not the case. Neither of them were willing to change.

But they still wanted to be a part of each other’s life.

Drinks were brought out during this, and meal orders were taken, as well.

It was when the food was brought out, that everything, also, seemed hashed out. Adlai’s over-roasted burra fish with honey-drizzled vegetables brought to him, Shay’s smoked kaduu ribs were brought out – with a blueberry corn muffin that she set on Eira’s plate.

The first thing Eira picked up. Her own meal was entirely vegetarian, an Ithorian loaf which was a meat-substitute of sorts.

As the employee left them with their meal, Shay let out a sigh of relief. “Well, we have half of this figured out,” she looked to Skye. She was somewhat pleased Skye had played her role as bodyguard and was rather quiet through all of this. Perhaps she wasn’t stupid, just…well, uncertain. She got that read from the body language.

“They tell me you want to join us, Skye. As more than just Adlai’s bodyguard.” Shay said, “Tell me a bit about yourself. Tell me why I should consider it – and don’t worry. This entire balcony is bugged to prevent long-distance recording.”

“But don’t say too much,” Adlai said under his breath. They still had to be cautious.

~***~

“No, nothing more,” Eli confirmed, “We’ll check in when we’re entering the jungle,” Eli promised. He would let Ortell leave with that, and then looked to the others.

He didn’t know where to begin, of course. Not really. “We know there’s a river that’s a kilometer north of the previous town. I think we should make that our first destination. Most don’t cross it, so I believe if we follow it for a ways, we’re bound to find evidence of a crossing, either a bridge, a rope, or an area that is easier to swim across.” Although that would mean abandoning the speeders.

He was hoping that wouldn’t be necessary.

“Which, we need to go pick up our speeders. I’m hoping we can ask the seller to set that point on our map, so we can ride out to the river, and then go from there.”

He looked to Cora, “You indicated another village that had notable activity. Would it be more east, or west, of here?” That would be the direction they could follow the river along.

Skye played her part and largely remained silent during their discussion of the break-up. There was nothing for her to say, as to the public, she had no part in it.

She would just be the bodyguard who happened to be there for Adlai in his time of need.

The meals were brought out, which for Skye was a Yobshrimp noodle salad. She hardly paid any attention to it though as the conversation shifted, from the faux break-up to the bigger reason for their dinner.

Adlai’s soft comment did not go unnoticed by Skye. Her eyes briefly flickered to him before focusing back on Shay. “I don’t even know where I should begin.” And she didn’t. There was so much she could say, yet so little as well.

“I’m sure it goes unspoken that I want to send their end.” Who they were would be understood. Even with Shay’s reassurance, Skye still hesitated with some things. “And for many years, I thought that was impossible, until I learned there were others like me who wanted to see their demise, but unlike myself, they started to act towards that goal.”

When she met Eira and subsequently was introduced to their underground rebel scene with influential people.

Would Shay want some of the skills Skye could bring to their group? She would need to consider how to give her the details without painting a picture of a Jedi.

~~

Starting at the river sounded the most reasonable, and Cora couldn’t find fault with it. If going deep into a jungle, staying near a clean source of water would be important for survival. They could find any trace of disturbance from there, if their suspect was in this area.

Cora nodded. “Yeah, there is. Um, let me think for a second.” She couldn’t remember off the top of her head where the village was, but her eyes closed in thought, and she reimagined a rough sketch of the region.

“It’s east of here,” she answered as her eyes opened to look at Eli. Depending on how their current mission went, and nothing happened or nothing turned out, she doubted they would be able to head to that town that same day. Or, if they did, searching for information would happen the next day.

Cora grabbed the bag filled with discarded wrappers, once filled with their breakfast, and tossed it in the inn trash bin. If they were done planning what they needed to get started, they would need to head out of there. “What were you thinking for that town?” She started to head to the exit.

“We know she is capable of fighting,” Adlai added, “I’m sure you’ve seen the footage from the gallery.”

“Yes,” Shay said, “We need more than that,” they weren’t exactly a militia. “We try not to get involved in such things.”

“I know we do,” Eira said, “Which may be more of the reason why we need her. Not all of us are capable of defending ourselves so well. A trained hand would help in those moments where things go awry.”

Shay couldn’t argue that. “Even so, Adlai and you can.” Shay pointed out, “and she will mostly be with Adlai,” she looked to Skye, “I need to know what you can discretely contribute, when things aren’t going awry.”

Although a constant bodyguard wasn’t bad, persay, it wasn’t quite enough for Shay to want her deeply involved.

~***~

Cora was already moving soon after Ortell. Eli considered stopping her, reminding her, but figured they ought to find out how much time it took to get the speeders, and get the instructions to the river. “Nothing about the village itself, just that we should head east along the river. It’s more likely we’d see something heading that way.”

He would follow after Cora, and when they reached the lobby of the inn, he made a quick stop at the desk to check in and let them know they wouldn’t need the rooms another night, before he’d follow outside.

“Unless you think there’d be reason to head west from the river, instead?” Eli asked.

She didn’t know the culture, perhaps, but she’d done some mapping of the criminal activity, she might have a thought about why west would be better, and he’d certainly hear it as they made their way towards the speeders.

Something more discrete, she wanted? “I don’t always tend to make such a ruckus. I can slip into places most can’t, including highly secured locations.” That had been a skill she mastered over the years, sneaking in somewhere, grabbing what she needed, and leaving before anyone could find her.

“I’ve also been told I’m a pretty damn good pilot.” Did they need a pilot? She didn’t know, but it wouldn’t hurt to include that, especially given her additional role as a pilot for Adlai.

Skye shrugged her shoulders and started on her dinner. “What are some things you need to be discreetly done?” She wanted to see if Shay would divulge any information to her that she could use to help her case.

If not, Skye didn’t know much more she could give without giving too much.

~~

Tobias had remained quiet as they left the room and made their way to the lobby, where they paused to speak to the woman at the desk. Cora had been in thought, as Eli spoke to the woman, of whether or not heading east along the river would be a good idea.

So far, she didn’t see any reason to head west instead.

Once out of the inn, they headed back in the direction of the speeder rentals. “No, I don’t think there would be any reason to go west instead of east.” West would take them away from where the cluster of suspected criminal activity. The only reason she could think of to head that way was if there were signs in the jungle of a trail leading that way.

But then Cora would start thinking about traps.

Piloting, fighting, theft, from the sounds of it. Shay could read between the lines, but she wasn’t one to judge. Eira and Rem were usually their stealth individuals, Rem because he could shapeshift, and Eira because she had that particular talent of being able to get anywhere she wanted.

It was useful.

Skye could play that role where Rem usually did with Eira – getting into places Adlai couldn’t, while Adlai distracted a crowd.

There was potential.

“It varies,” Shay answered Skye, not offering an example. Things changed quickly. There was no normal. “We adapt to the situations as they present themselves.” They were opportunists. They had to be, or they wouldn’t survive.

“How do I know I can trust you?” Shay asked, even if Eira gave her a sidelong look for it. “No matter how I search for you, I cannot locate information. A few photos, here and there, of you in such locations as you’ve indicated, but little else.”

~***~

Eli nodded. “Then east it is,” that had the better odds of starting to reveal sentient, or reasoning, activity. Criminal activity. So it was easily decided on.

It didn’t take them long to get to the speeder rental. Everything here was small and close together, it seemed, although now given the hour someone different appeared to be manning the station.

Eli lifted his hand in a wave to the woman, who smiled and waved back, “Are you three the rest of the reserved speeders?” She asked in a far more chipper tone.

“Yes, we are. Eli Vanto,” he offered his name for confirmation.

“Mm-hmm, gotcha right here, and got the three speeders ready to go,” fueled up and everything.

“Thanks,” Eli said, “Do you think you’d be able to help set up the nav system? We want to head to the river that’s just north in the jungle.”

A momentary flair of panic swelled within Skye. How could she answer that question without falling to her last resort? Her eyes flickered to Eira, but the woman wouldn’t be able to help her.

Skye had to do this on her own.

“Well, it seems that I have managed to cover my tracks well, which is good. There are some people out there who would like to see me dead,” Skye would only say that much. Shay didn’t need to know the details.

“But as for trusting me?” Skye shrugged. “I don’t know how to answer that for you, but it may be worth noting how much these two seemed to trust me in learning more about this cell.” It had been the one answer she could think of on the spot. Surely their trust had to count for something for Shay? Her unoccupied hand that rested in her lap tightened into a fist from her apprehension, but she willed herself to relax.

~~

The chipper woman seemed far friendlier than the guy they had met the previous day. Maybe she will actually be able to help us.

“I sure can help you set that up,” she answered as she motioned them over to their speeders. “It shouldn’t take but a few minutes.”

The woman did seem agreeable and willing to help the Imperials while not many others in town were willing to do the same, or even pretend to help them.

“You’ll need this nav system if you’re heading into that jungle. I have heard too many stories of people getting lost and never returning.”

Tobias spoke up, “Are these people simply getting lost, or do you think it’s because they encountered something dangerous in tere?”

The woman had paused for a second before she shrugged her shoulders. “Maybe both. Either one could be the likely cause. There’s a reason I don’t go in there.”

Eira couldn’t help.

It was the truth. She had helped enough by getting her this far, convincing Shay that the woman which Adlai was breaking up with her over, was also worth investing their trust in.

Shay did listen. It was hardly surprising that Skye had a bounty on her head. It was, perhaps, more surprising that she was willing to be in the spotlight for it, by Adlai’s side. It could bring some of that unwanted attention back onto her, if she was noticed, if she was recognized.

“Claiming that people want you dead isn’t a selling point. You’re soon going to be seen by many alongside Adlai. If they can recognize your face, that could mean trouble for all of us.”

Though that was the cost of celebrity, no matter what, and Shay sighed. “Not that we haven’t faced our share of risks before that,” people who didn’t know Eira was a rebel had been annoying enough. And Adlai had his fair share of assassination attempts. “I do trust them. Eira more than I should.” She was able to admit that with some grudging humor.

But they had started this together.

And Eira always found people. Some were more obvious with why. “Just tell me this…why do you want them gone?”

~***~

A reason why the woman didn’t go in. “Why do people go in there?” Eli asked.

She paused, frowning, “Well, you all are going in there, aren’t you?” That seemed like a strange question, given the circumstances.

“Yeah—we have to,” Eli said, “The Empire wants to know more about what’s in there, to see if it could be useful.”

The woman shrugged her shoulders, but bent over the speeder to set the coordinates in the nav as Eli had requested, “I know some people worship within it,” she said, “they don’t feel comfortable if they don’t visit it, in spite of the dangers. Some others just need water, or food – it has those things, and it’s not always as accessible as it should be here.”

Thanks to the Empire.

She didn’t say that, though.

She didn’t dislike the Empire, and thought that some of the people around were blowing their influence out of proportion. They just had the one facility, how much had they really changed about life?

Skye knew that with this life, she potentially increased her chance of being recognized. But it was already too late to back down now, wasn’t it? It became too late when she made her appearance at the gallery.

So why wouldn’t she want them gone? Skye thought that the answer would be obvious, given the Empire’s tight control over the galaxy. But, she supposed, some people benefitted from it and had more reason to ensure its survival.

“They have destroyed my life and stripped away my very identity.” She paused, careful of the words she chose. “They took everyone I cared about, and they have done this same thing for so many around the galaxy. I have traveled to many planets and seen the destruction and the poverty their control created.”

Skye took a deep breath. Talking of the Empire always held the potential to incite anger in her, so she had to calm herself. “I want them gone so that we may see peace again.”

~~

Cora made note of what the woman had said about the jungle. It held great spiritual value for the inhabitants, and necessary resources for others. She knew this, but it held extra meaning that it had been verified for her.

The woman straightened after she finished setting up the nav system. “Well, that should do it. It should get you to where you need to go.”

Cora smiled and nodded her appreciation to the woman. “Thank you.” This had to have been one of their most pleasant encounters on Cartao, and Cora thought about why there was such a difference in opinions of the Empire within two of the towns.

“Happy to help.” Her words sounded rehearsed, like it was something she repeated often. “Is there anything else you guys need help with?”

What Skye had to say next was convincing enough to Shay for one fact: Skye was impossible to pin down to an identity. That meant that, what she was, what she had been, was indeed something the Empire had destroyed.

That didn’t leave very many options, no matter how destructive the Empire was.

Shay was also noticing a trend in how many were cropping up again – and that the one sitting besides her was still mute on the topic.

‘Jedi.’

Shay knew it was just a guess – a very educated guess – with Skye. And she knew she had to play dumb, and to continue to play dumb, until it was said otherwise. But it was enough, for now. “I think I’m convinced,” Shay said. “Let me have the evening to think it over, Skye. If I determine that after a night’s thinking and a clear head, you are a good fit, then I will convene a meeting for you to meet the rest of us.”

~***~

Eli was grateful as well for the help with the nav system, and he gave a look to see how far it was. Nearly two kilometers from where they were now, not bad. Eli would only plan to take them to the edge of the jungle before checking in with Ortell, though.

“I think we’re good now,” Eli said. He knew the woman wouldn’t really have any tips for the jungle, since she avoided it, “Thank you.”

“Sure thing. You all be careful out there,” she said, as Eli mounted the speeder, and nodded to the others to follow him, as he set off down the path towards the jungle’s edge.

The speeder made ridiculously short work of that – and he was again surprised at how close the villages did live to the jungle, but once they were at the edge, he stalled his bike, and looked to the others. “Tobias, can you follow up with Ortell real quick?” And then to Cora, “What do you know about what they worship? Or how they worship?”

Skye breathed a great sigh of relief. Her words had managed to convince Shay, or rather, convince her enough to think it over. Now she just had to wait until the next day for the answer, which Skye hoped would be the affirmative.

She had a good feeling about it.

“Thank you.” Her fork stabbed into a yobshrimp, now that her nerves had abated and she could finish her dinner. What else was she supposed to say? I really really hope you accept me sounded a bit too desperate for her tastes. I can’t wait to meet the others sounded like she had already been accepted, which she had not.

So she would just play it cool for now, occupying her mouth with the cold noodles before she said something stupid.
~~

Tobias and Cora mounted their respective speeders and followed down the path. It was a rather short journey - thanks to the speeders and the nav system that aided their path.

“Right on it,” Tobias said as he pulled out his datapad to call the other ensign.

Cora looked to Eli. “It’s not an area I’m terribly familiar with, so I can’t tell you much on how they worship, but I do know a few of the gods they worship.” As it was an area she was less concerned with, she only knew a few names and purposes.

She decided she may have to study more culture in the future.

“There’s the creator god who is also the sun god. There’s also the thunder god, highly important for them as he is the one who controls the weather, and thus also the rain, which is important for the jungle’s survival and their sources of food.” She took a pause, trying to remember what all she knew.

“Oh! There’s the goddess of the jungle, who helps protect the flora and the animals. That’s all I can remember right now, but I do know there are some others.”

Shay nodded. There was much more to consider, of course, but she let the topic shift to the party that Adlai had attended with the Organas, and spoke, briefly, of the meeting she and Eira had with one of his agents. From there, conversation would drift a bit into Eira’s play, and Adlai’s plans, before dinner started to wrap up.

None of them had laughed too much, or made it too apparent that things were going too well. They might not be heard, but they would be seen. Pictures would surface, no matter what.

“Who’s turn is it to pay?” Adlai asked.

Shay rolled her eyes. “I’m paying. Stars knows how it would look if either one of you paid.” Manager paid for things like this. Unwritten rule. “You two can go ahead and go, we’ll get settled and leave after that.” Shay noted.

Best not to leave together.

“Understood,” Adlai accepted, and rose, much as Shay and Eira did. Eira moved around Shay, though, and Adlai moved to meet her, pulling her into an embrace. Part image, part because he wanted to confirm they were still fine. Sure, this break-up, this relationship, had been an act – but there were many layers of truth to their friendship, and he didn’t want that harmed.

Eira returned the embrace, a gentle hold, a sigh, before they broke away.

“I’ll be sure to be at your play, Eira.” He promised. Of course, they’d see each other before then, but….

“You’d better.”

He nodded, and would make a move to leave.

~***~

The faith here seemed a natural one, without the trappings of the Force – at least so far as Cora knew, or spoke of. It always astounded Eli that such civilized people clung to things that were a bit, well, primitive. He didn’t understand it. They could travel through space, and yet they held on to such personal, worldly deities, rather than something more.

Not that Eli explored faith much, even if his agnosticism left him with little certainty.

He realized he didn’t actually know what others around him believed. Perhaps he should ask that. Certainly Thrawn, and Cora.

As Tobias was busy getting in touch with Ortell, he asked a bit further, “Do you know much about the jungle goddess? Like, if she has anything sacred to her in particular?” Maybe Proserpina would be using things like that…he could imagine that kind of deception too easily.

The dinner continued on to different topics. Skye spoke very little, only speaking up if necessary or to ask a question, which hadn’t been often. She allowed the three who knew how to navigate life in the public eye to discuss what was needed to be discussed.

Once prompted by Shay, Skye rose alongside Adlai. He and Eira moved to embrace, as she stood to the side, waiting for them to finish. She had wanted to bid Eira farewell also, but there was still that role she had to play.

There would be no hug goodbye from her, just a parting nod.

Skye would follow behind Adlai, silent as they weaved their way through the restaurant and back to where their speeder was parked. “How are you feeling?” she asked, partly to play her role, and partly to see how he felt about this changing dynamic and his and Eira’s lives.

~~

Cora scrunched her nose in thought. “I can’t tell you for certain, but I think serpents are involved? Somehow?” She shook her head. “I’m sorry I don’t know more. I normally don’t read too much into culture, just the basics.”

And now she would be sure to do more research into a planet’s culture, especially if a mission is scheduled to be there.

“All I can say is that we can’t let our guards down even once.” Too many hazards. Proserpina could know how to work the jungle in her favor, if she knew Imperials officers were after her.

Tobias finished his call, and as he slipped his datapad back in a pocket, he updated the others. “So Ortell had just arrived back at the town, and he’ll be back at the ship soon.”

Good. If they needed a lift out, they now had an escape.

Adlai would leave the restaurant behind, with only a brief glance back to Eira and Shay as they stayed behind to settle up. He hadn’t yet called for a speeder to take them away, and for the moment, he decided not to. A walk might help to clear his head.

In spite of everything – the truth of everything – there was a part of him that was impacted by the change.

As Skye gathered. He was able to smile, but the sorrow was sincere, “It’s going to be different now. It’s good,” mostly, “but I will miss getting to hang out with Eira as much as I used to.” And he was worried about her, too. Jokes aside, he was worried about Thrawn, because he could tell that Eira did like him.

A terrible choice all around. “I just have to get used to it. And to dealing with Shay’s glares,” in public, anyways. It made him chuckle, just a little.

~***~

Shay did settle the bill, “You’re still intending to see him tonight?” She said, after the matter was done with, and she was waiting for her speeder.

“Mm.”

“I don’t approve.”

“I know. But I have my methods. You have yours.”

“Usually I’d trust yours,” Shay said. And she wanted to…but this was different. “I hope you know, this doesn’t protect him. The gelato thing was for you.” Burying those articles, getting them taken down – it could have gone badly. “If this leaks, I’m not covering it.”

Eira sighed.

“And still….”

“And still.” Eira agreed.

Shay shook her head. “I hope you’re right. I really do.” But she feared Eira wasn’t, as she walked to the speeder that stopped. Eira followed; she needed a change. She couldn’t go for sparring in a gray dress, but she and Shay sat in silence as she sent the message.

The dinner is over. Is your invitation to still open?

~***~

Eli would have to take the information he had. Goddess of the jungle, and Serpents. “Lovely.” He was going to die by poisonous snakes. “Did we pick up any antidotes? Should we pick up some antidotes?”

He started to go through the supplies that they had gathered, digging through his bags as Tobias noted that Ortell was good.

He gave a sigh of relief as he found a first aid kit that did, in fact, contain antivenom. “Okay, hopefully we have the right ones…I should probably be concerned that this is so common as to be included in a standard first aid kit.”

And that it seemed to be for some sort of water snake.

Yeah, this was going to go well.

He started his speeder back up. “To the river, and then east,” he told them, “We’ll pause at the river, though,” to take a look around, before making certain of their direction.

There was real sorrow. Naturally, there would be, and for the reasons Adlai mentioned. He and Eira wouldn’t be able to spend as much time together without arousing suspicion, after doing it for so long.

“I have a feeling you won’t be the only one dealing with her glares.” Skye was, after all, a reason for the break-up, and that guilt wouldn’t leave her alone, no matter what was said.

The walk may have been something Adlai wanted to do, but Skye wouldn’t deny how she needed it as well. It had been an intense few days. She needed some time to breathe and think. Or maybe to not think at all.

“You don’t regret any of this, do you?” She had to ask, even if she could predict Adlai’s answer. He would say no, that he didn’t, and it would be the truth. “After all, it had only been a few days.” Skye didn’t specify what, exactly, she referred to, in case anyone was listening to them.

But she had been in their life for a few short days, while he knew Eira for years, and already so much was changing.

~~

Thrawn, in a rare evening with little tasks to complete, set upon himself to pour over the interviews from the witnesses at the gallery. Very little had been shifted through by others, and so he decided to do it himself.

It would get finished much faster if he just did it himself.

His datapad stayed on top of his desk throughout the evening, within immediate eyesight. No, it wasn’t in anticipation that Eira would message him, he told himself. Eli Vanto was on a mission. Others were performing tasks that may need his assistance.

A ping from his datapad interrupted his silence. A message from Eira. With speed a little faster than necessary, Thrawn picked up his datapad and opened the message. Good. She still wants to spar. The night hadn’t gone so horribly that she wouldn’t want to take up the offer of physical relief.

I did offer, and I am a man of my word. I have access to a private gym on Coruscant. Would you like to meet there?

This would allow for the greatest privacy. Thrawn couldn’t bring Eira back on the starfighter for multiple reasons, such as her being a civilian and one with the public eye following her every move. This could help ensure that they both aren’t on the cover of every tabloid magazine the next morning.

Thrawn was already up and moving to his closet to change into more suitable clothes.

~~

When Eli started to question whether or not they had antidotes and dug through his bag, Tobias recalled some of the supplies he and Ortell picked up. “We have some more in my bag. When we were talking to some of the villagers yesterday, a few suggested for us to bring along a few extra antidotes.”

Cora didn’t know if she was thankful and impressed with the ensigns picking up extra of a seemingly overlooked supply, or if she was more apprehensive with the idea that they may need to use those antidotes. “Okay, that’s good.”

It was most certainly not good.

But they would have to continue on their way. Cora and Tobias followed Eli. The trip to the river didn’t take too long, but it was quickly becoming clear to Cora that they may need to leave behind the speeders if they wanted to do any real investigation in the jungle. The foliage was quickly becoming dense. The riverbanks were clear enough for the continued use of the speeders, but anything outside of that would require walking.

A small laugh escaped Adlai as Skye mentioned the glares. “To be fair, you likely won’t have to deal with them in public.” No, Shay had no reason to be upset with a bodyguard publically, and so she wouldn’t be, but she may be terribly annoyed with Skye in private, and at the meetings. “You’re not the only one. I know a mother wookiee, and Shay is still far more protective and vindictive than her.”

The protective nature was her saving grace, of course.

Shay was careful, and Shay liked things going to plan. Usually, they did, but they were having a string of bad luck lately. This wasn’t bad luck, persay, although Shay would think it was. “But I don’t have any regrets,” he indicated, “You saw how prepared we were, didn’t you?”

This was always bound to happen, and for just this sort of reason. It was never imagined that it would be Eira who would want to move on for someone, but him. And so, it would make it more plausible that he, also, found himself in a relationship before Eira would after all of this. He was looking for something that Eira did not want to offer.

Neither were the villains.

But no one could fault him for keeping certain goals at the forefront, like family. “It’s far better than if we waited,” if they ‘cheated’ behind her back, and got caught.

~***~

Shay could only watch with some small sense of helplessness as Eira smiled at the return message. It was the sort of thing that made her want to knock Thrawn from his high tower. To bring him crashing to the ground, so Eira could see that he made this choice to join the Empire. That he supported it, just like Savit.

But Savit was coming around.

Even Shay knew it. Heard it.

Whatever the Emperor was doing, Savit was starting to hate it.

He wasn’t ready yet to turn on the Empire in any meaningful way, but anything was better than nothing.

But all Shay could do was try to trust Eira, and hope, again, and again, that she didn’t get in too deep. That she didn’t fall over the edge of sense.

That Shay wouldn’t have to bring her crashing down along with Thrawn.

Eira was not entirely unaware of Shay’s melancholy, but she tuned it out, sending a message back to request the address of the gym, as the speeder stopped near her home. “I’ll see you later, Shay.”

“Mm.” Shay would be dropped nowhere close to where she lived.

Eira would gather the information about the location, and opt to walk there, once she’d changed into a red tanktop and black yoga pants. She threw her hair up into a ponytail.

No one was really going to question why she would be going to the gym late at night. Not after what happened.

~***~

Although there seemed to be a bit of a path through the forest to the river, Eli was wondering if they would have to give up their speeders eventually. He didn’t want to, trekking around without them wouldn’t be good. Not to mention the expense if they ended up losing the speeders. The Imperial budget would cover it, but it would still be a black mark. Or Eli would consider it as such.

The trip to the river itself held no problems.

The river was wide.

The current was already, obviously, strong. He could hear it above the din of the speeder, and watched it as it collided with a few high-standing rocks in the midst of it all.

There were signs of sentient activity here, which was no surprise, either. People came this far, but still he paused, trying to look for something.

He wasn’t seeing it here.

No sign of crossing.

“Let’s keep east,” he indicated, turning his speeder. The path along the river ought to be friendly enough, if they stayed alongside it, to keep the speeders. Crossing would be an entirely different story.

He was certain of that.

And entirely unaware that he was now being watched by a rather small camera that resembled a fly.

They did seem prepared. Within less than a day of deciding to break up, they had a plan and executed it perfectly, from what Skye could see. If she and Adlai could remain ‘distant’ in the public’s eye, then it all should end well.

“Alright,” she nodded, “I trust that you all know exactly what you’re doing.” She had her skills, they had theirs. She would have to relearn how to trust others in what they’re doing if she wanted to work with their team. And she could. She would.

A brief walk had been a good idea. It helped Skye clear her mind from her strong emotions of the day. She wrapped her arms around herself, but not from chill.

She had distant memories of walking through Coruscant with her Master after particularly grueling or frustrating training sessions. The walks had helped both of them to calm down and talk things through. What could they do better. What they needed to communicate more.

Still fresh in the memory, Skye asked, “Do you like living here? On Coruscant?

~~

As Thrawn changed, he kept the interviews playing in the background. One had come up of interest to him, the one of that woman he saw at Count Malvern’s office. Skye Vind. Supposedly a new bodyguard.

Her statements for being at the gallery that evening did not quite contradict each other, but they didn’t match up.

The datapad pinged with another message, a follow-up from Eira. He responded with an address to the gym; the bodyguard issue would be marked down and investigated later.

Thrawn finished dressing - dark sweats and a white top hidden underneath a jacket, so no one would question him on his way. As such, he also took his own shuttle, opting to pilot it himself so not a single word would get out as to what he was doing.

If anyone asked, he was simply conducting Imperial business on Coruscant. Something required his immediate attention.

It wouldn’t take him long to reach the gym. Thrawn would arrive a few minutes after Eira. After all, she had been on the planet, while he hadn’t.

The gym had a spacious training room, with no windows for curious onlookers, and padded floors for unavoidable falls and spills. Sometimes Thrawn would practice with training droids in that room if he wanted to get off his ship for just a little while. No interruptions, all the privacy he needed.

~~

The river had been exactly as how Cora pictured it. Wide, strong, rough currents that most wouldn’t be able to swim through, and signs that it was frequently visited, which to her, meant there had to be a crossing somewhere.

Natural curiosity would always win, and innovations would be made to see the other side of the river, if only just for another area to gather supplies and resources.

They kept east, and the path along the river remained open enough for the speeders to easily pass through. But they were seeing the same thing over and over. More jungle, more river, no new clues.

A little ways ahead, Cora spotted a series of rocks, tops eroded away by years of suffering the brunt of the current, which left them flat enough for someone to step on and hop across, if their balance was decent enough.

“You see those rocks up there?” she called out, pointing in their direction. “That can be a natural crossing for anyone who really wanted to cross the river.”

Adlai knew it might take a bit for Skye to acclimate to their environment. It was not one she was accustomed to, and she did not know all the players. She was also the ‘new kid’ of the group, and would see that, soon, when she was allowed in. They all knew their roles and their places by now.

“If it helps…we are expanding,” this situation was changing, dynamic. “I only mention that to say…others are trusting us, too. And the sense of anxiety of new situations is going to surround many, so you won’t be alone, but we do have a stable ground, and stable footing.” They knew what to do. They knew how to do it.

They would catch her up, quickly.

Her question caught him a bit off-guard, though.

His brows knit together, though it didn’t take him much thought. “No.” He didn’t. He didn’t like Coruscant to live. He might like it to visit, but not to live. “I prefer Serenno.” It was more peaceful there, in spite of everything. “Coruscant is…too busy.”

All the time.

“I don’t particularly enjoy being vigilant all the time,” but, he was. And he knew how to be, so it was a moot point. He would continue to do it, for as long as necessary.

~***~

It wasn’t Eira’s usual gym, of course, but she didn’t think that would matter much. She could easily say she was looking at new places, and new options. She wouldn’t need to say she was looking to separate herself from places she and Adlai had gone to. That would be obvious, in a way. Easy to assume she might have stuck with another gym mostly for Adlai.

Things were allowed to change now.

It was freeing, in that respect, but intimidating for that same reason, as well. Eira had started to get used to the small comforts being ‘taken’ allowed her, and how much she wasn’t bothered by people with an obvious interest in her. They stayed back, because Adlai existed.

Now, it wouldn’t be the same.

The gym was staffed, and Eira asked about the training rooms they had, eventually being led up to one before Thrawn arrived.

It was terribly spacious. She was able to sit her purse down along the wall, not trusting it in a locker right then. The floor was well padded, the walls, not so much. It made her chuckle a bit to herself to think of how the Jedi absolutely needed padded walls thanks to the Force and Force-pushing people.

Not that it would happen here.

The door eventually opened to reveal Thrawn’s arrival, not in his uniform, but a jacket and sweats. Although Eira shouldn’t have expected uniform – she did. The surprise of the alternative brought heat to her face that she wasn’t sure the distance would help with. She had to hope it would fade soon all the same. “Thank you, again, for the offer,” Eira said, before, “Do you come to this gym often?” Often enough to know of it and be able to get in easily – that his name gave her clearance.

~***~

Eli glanced ahead to take a look at the rocks coming up, and he started to slow his speeder, until it came a halt.

The ground before the first rock was mostly muddy. No grass. It was a well-traveled jump to that first rock, it seemed, as the area was beaten down. He even noticed that the path was cleared of trees for a good distance along the bank, giving someone room to prepare, or think – linger.

This was it, wasn’t it?

“I think it’s possible,” Eli said, “We may want to try and hide our bikes a bit, this area looks well traveled,” he glanced to Tobias, “Do you think you can make that?” He thought Tobias might even be more likely, since he was fresh from the Academy. Fresh from doing these kind of ridiculous physical training sort of things.

Adlai’s words did help alleviate some of Skye’s anxieties, but she knew the only way she would completely dive into her new life was by experience. Once, if, she met everyone, and worked with them, then she would be more comfortable with everything.

“I understand, not wanting to be vigilant all the time,” she spoke softly. No more was needed to be said. They both knew of how she spent years of her life hiding and constantly on her guard for anyone of the Empire who knew she was a Jedi.

She cleared her throat. “I used to never think anything of how busy Coruscant can be. But now?” Skye shrugged, her words trailing off as she failed to finish her sentence.

“What is Serenno like?” Her eyes shifted to Adlai. “I’ve never been before.”

~~

As expected, Eira had already been in the training room when Thrawn arrived. Much like he was, she was dressed down in something far more casual for the purpose of sparring. He wasn’t used to seeing her so dressed down, and it seems, based on the coloring in her face, neither was she. Light flushing in the cheeks.

Interesting.

“It was no problem.” His fingers moved to remove the jacket from his body, and the piece of clothing was carefully discarded next to the wall. “I come here on occasion, mainly when I need a moment truly alone to think.” He had last been in the previous week, sharpening his skills against droids as he sought much needed stress relief.

“Tell me, Eira,” he strolled in her direction, “what kind of fighting have you done in the past? What styles have you been taught?” Thrawn recalled an earlier conversation when she did briefly mention being trained for roles, but her fight at the gallery showed much more confidence than a simple actress.

She had more training than she let on.

~~

Tobias was the next one to slow his speeder to a halt, followed by Cora. The area was obviously visited quite often, and the stone path across the river was well traveled. One should be able to cross the stones, if their balance didn’t end up failing them, or their jump wasn’t just right.

“Yeah, I should be able to make that,” Tobias nodded. He still maintained agility and strength, following the specific physical training they endured at the Academy.

Cora scanned the immediate area. “We should be able to hide our speeders in that foliage over there,” she pointed to an area several feet away from the buddy banks, covered in large bush and low-lying tree branches. Nature would hide the speeder.

No one should want to search through the foliage enough to find the speeder. The only thing to disturb them should be the creatures that live in the jungle, although that was just as much of an unpleasant thought.

Adlai hadn’t doubted that. He was certain that Skye could understand, given what she was. They were both enemies of the Empire, living within it. Coruscant was the worst place for them to be, but they were both there.

“Really, not once?” Adlai supposed it wasn’t hard to believe. They were at war. Before then, what reason would she have had? And after, it was unlikely to have inspired fond memories.

“It’s beautiful,” he said. “More natural – there’s lots of mountains and large forests,” he said, “Plenty of plains, as well. Serenno has the luxury of not needing its space for food production,” because of course, they used others. Nonetheless, it was still a beautiful world.

“We have all the technology of the Core, but the aesthetic of Serenno is still a millennia or so behind,” the style of their architecture, art, and even city structures, always seemed as if it belonged to a time long ago, rather than now. The mingling of natural materials and modern technology had beautified it all in his mind, rather than made it tacky or gaudy.

There was an art to it all – to altering the technology to fit their world.

“Serenno’s always been…an elitist world, I confess, but it means it’s a world of nature, art, and academics,” he said, “and our droids are far ahead of even Coruscant’s droids,” because there remained, after the Clone Wars, a lingering disdain towards droids.

Not on Serenno.

~***~

Eira should have listened to Shay. She should have listened to Skye. Not simply because now she had an idea of how Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s arms looked outside of uniform, but because of his inquiries. She could lie – that was always an option, and usually, a very good option.

Except, not with him.

Perhaps she couldn’t tell him one particular style, but she would have to tell him others. “I know a bit of K’tara and Zama-shiwo. I know I’ve been taught a few others, but, these are the only two I’ve practiced outside of film.” Not quite true, but she imagined the rest would blend with that.

It was good to know self-defense, but she did, at least, have a half-truth prepared if he intended to ask more about it. “I’m not an expert by any means, but my trainer does like to maintain my practice, just in case, and I’m certainly not going to be any good at Echani – although some days…,” well, even she could admit some days something like that would appeal.

And she had to play on that a bit. It was too brutal a style, but one she knew most Imperial Officers were trained in. “I’m guessing you’ve been trained in that?”

Her trainer had mentioned it before, as a suggestion. It would be easy to find someone to teach her it, but it was too offensive a style for Eira’s tastes. Her trainer just didn't happen to know the styles Eira did, so it was a bit hard to actually know how to teach them. Needless to say, it ended up being more a practice of certain moves and gestures, with the occasional spar that, more often than not, Eira let her trainer win.

~***~

Eli nodded, accepting the idea of where to hide them. He wouldn’t bother to drive his speeder over there, but he would pull it towards the foliage, and take what he needed from it, “I’ll go first,” he told the others.

It was only proper that he at least try to go over the rocks first. If he fell, he’d grab hold of a rock, and figure something out. He wasn’t that concerned with drowning, although the thought occurred that maybe they should have brought a rope.

That was one thing they didn’t seem to pack.

Once Eli had the bag secured on his shoulders, and his speeder hidden, he went to the open path out towards the rocks.

He considered the distance, took a few steps back, and then sprinted and jumped to reach the first one.

‘Nailed it!’ He didn’t move immediately, but waited to get his balance. The rocks were slick, as expected. Too much haste, and he’d fall. “Okay…this shouldn’t need to be said, but you’re going to want to pause on every rock. No haste here,” he warned them, “or you will slip and fall.”

The second, the third, the fourth – though Eli paused on every one, he did, eventually, make it across without falling into the river.

He was quite relieved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back