• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

Eira gave a simple nod to Skye’s statement, and with a brief farewell, the message would cut on her end, leaving Adlai and Skye once more, alone. Adlai let Skye go to the couch, and after a moment’s internal debate, he followed suit, and took a seat near.

“I am afraid on this matter, I do not know. Not even a clue,” he said, and he set his hand down between them, rather than make direct contact.

He didn’t know where they stood right now, but it was an outreach.

He knew he might not get anything in turn until Skye had talked to Eira, and even then, that may turn her against pursuit of anything more. But at least he could be honest about this part of who he was – that he still hoped for something further with them. And it’d be easier, once Skye knew everything.

“As far as my knowledge goes, Mira only had Amita on the schedule. Her lawyer,” he added, for clarity.

~***~

Tarkin placed his elbows on the desk of his side, and folded his fingers together as he leaned forward, “I have faith in you, Grand Admiral, but this does not mean you get to avoid my questions when they are direct.” Thrawn had stated he was learning things, but offered no relevant details.

Personal details.

It may be useful. It may be useless. “Fortunately for you, I have little interest in a full debrief at this time, given the headache Lothal has become,” he had to keep his own focus, “but if I continue to see reports put out, perhaps even by this Shay, that you seem to be having an illicit affair with a holostar – with no results beyond intimate knowledge I have no interest in knowing – then I will have to take over this investigation.”

He let his eyes narrow, just a bit, “Do you have any understanding of why I set this for three months, Thrawn? Of why that date is important?”

~***~

Although Cora didn’t know the area, she knew a generalization, which Eli agreed with. It was likely they wouldn’t be looked on too fondly, in small communities. They were usually close-knit and looked out for one another.

So, he nodded, “We can’t be too direct, then.” Couldn’t ask directly about a Sephi. “We can ask how business is – if many people own speeders, or why they prefer to rent…things like that,” he suggested, as they continued to move back towards the speeders.

They’d have reason to. They would want to reserve four for tomorrow. One of their crew would have to go back to the ship, the others were likely to need them for the jungle, or another town. And certainly, they had to ask about maps, and how much of the jungle was mapped, for that matter.

There was still much to consider that could lead to some information. If they were careful. And if it was to be had.

“You two are back early,” the man at the rental noted, curious to their approach.

Eli smiled, “Well, we weren’t sure if it was necessary, but we wanted to make sure to reserve four for tomorrow,” Eli answered, looking abashed with his ignorance about the norms.

Skye wasn’t sure of what Adlai would do next, given his wariness in her earlier anger, so light surprise filtered on her face when he took a spot near her. It was something.

And it was clear they would need to talk more after their conversation with Eira.

“Something tells me she doesn’t want to talk to me about her lawyer.” No, it was something not even Adlai knew about, and her patience for all of the answers was severely being tested.

Adlai’s hand settled between them, which served as a temporary distraction for Skye. Some part of her desired to be just a little petty, as retaliation for earlier, but it wasn’t his fault. He was doing what he could, that was made clear.

So she knew she couldn’t be mad at him. Not when she herself hid so much of her past from him. From Eira.

Silently, Skye slid her hand over to his, and slipped her fingers between his, giving them a light squeeze. She still desired the same as Adlai, and she held faith that Eira would help explain what exactly was happening.

~~

Thrawn kept notice of Tarkin’s subtle changes in his posture over the course of the conversation.Tarkin had already been annoyed when the conversation began, no doubt relating to his Lothal issue. Had Governor Pryce been the source of any of these issues? His gut went with yes.

“I hardly doubt that this Shay would publish anything without her own heavy bias interfering with any actual facts,” Thrawn scoffed. That is, if she was the author of that libel article, which is something he intended to look into later that evening.

Tarkin’s next answer, Thrawn could answer. “It’s the debut of the play Eira’s in, The Cantata of Cora Vessora.” That, he had figured out early on. “To which Miss Nevan had already invited me.”

But, Tarkin had wanted him to find out more about Eira before that date, which, to Thrawn, hinted that Tarkin may suspect something to happen then. “If her allegiance falls to the dissidents of the Empire, are you expecting for something to occur that night?”

~~

No, they couldn’t be too direct. They may have had a shot at blending in better if they hadn’t worn their imperial uniforms, but the villagers had already seen them with it on. They couldn’t pretend to be anything other than officers, and exerting that authority to demand answers wouldn’t work either.
Cora nodded with Eli’s plan. Subtle hints to get answers would be the best way to go about asking them questions, as to not appear too suspicious.

They approached the renter again, who clearly remembered them. He gave them a glance after Eli stated that they wanted to make sure they had speeders for tomorrow. “You ain’t have to worry about that. I don’t think I’ve ever run out of speeders here.”

“Well, seeing we’re heading into the jungle tomorrow, we just wanted to make sure everything is prepared.” Cora slipped in their intentions to see how the man would respond, if they could fish anything more from it.

“I certainly you are prepared for that,” he scoffed, taking out a datapad to put down their reservations.

There was some relief when Skye reached out, and set her own hand on Adlai’s. He gave her a smile, “I’m still sorry for the stress of the party,” he added, “I know I can’t erase that, but I hope that once you hear Eira out, you’ll understand.” Hoped they could consider other futures, still.

He knew he’d have to wait for that.

And he would. If nothing else, he had become very good at waiting.

The trip back to Coruscant still felt like a lifetime, but once they reached the atmosphere, he allowed Skye to go ahead and get them back onto the hangar, as he called ahead on his datapad to make sure his place would be open for his ship. Thankfully, it was – no one had happened on it for a temporary spot while he was away.

Skye would have an easy enough landing, and Eira would be waiting just off the landing pad – her film inside paused after she’d heard the sound of Adlai’s return.

~***~

Tarkin kept his gaze calmly on Thrawn, as he tried to surmise what would, or wouldn’t, happen on that night. Tarkin had considered Thrawn would be of use, because of his knack for art, and understanding things. He was devoting time to learning Eira, that was true – but perhaps not enough time to her art, if he didn’t see what Tarkin saw.

Tarkin leaned back, and reached out to his datapad, bringing up images – not of Eira, but of Lin, and Lin’s character, in the play.

Lin, of course, looked nothing like the character he was playing. “Tell me something, Thrawn – who does the actor Lin appear to be?” Robed, wrinkled, and with a necklace that wasn’t quite the Imperial insignia – no, it had flared aspects to it that was more reminiscent of the Sith heraldry, but the inclusion of the spokes made it a mix.

Imperial symbols, with Sith symbols.

The Sith Lord of Eira’s play, as Palpatine.

The Jedi also resembled Generals still familiar to many alive.

And the outfit for the apprentice was akin to the Inquisitorius, which he brought up – Darius as he was, and Darius in his guise of Sith Apprentice, with that same symbol writ upon his shoulder armor. “These are the villains of the play. Can you infer anything from their appearance? That the story has been rewritten to include the apprentice?” Or what it might do, if it became popular? If it showed Jedi in a better light – if the heavy parallels between Sith and Emperor were presented?

Tarkin did not want it going forward, but he could not be heavy-handed in that. The story was a favorite, set to premiere during a festive week – and he could do little without making it obvious.

~***~

Eli was glad that the reservation part was possible, even if entirely unnecessary, “Do these speeders have good navs for the jungle?” Eli asked.

“Good as ya can get,” he answered, offering his datapad to Eli to sign, which he did so, “we don’t have it mapped in full, no one really has any need to go that far in.” Eli nodded, and he handed it back, “if they do, they probably do it on foot. Gets to be too much for the speeders.”

“That’s good to know. Thanks,” Eli offered, smiling, “I’m guessing most people don’t travel from place to place?”

The man shook his head. That answered that question, “Not much reach to, really, for most folk.” And if they did, the rentals were cheap enough that it was better than keeping and maintaining a speeder.

The trip seemed to last forever, but it was less of an issue after the silent understanding between Skye and Adlai. It had been one less thing to stress over on the flight.

Skye took over the pilot’s seat when they began to approach, and there was no issue in landing in the hanger. Finally. She wanted nothing more than to spring out of the ship and to wherever Eira waited for them.

But she didn’t. She would wait and follow Adlai out of the ship.

Eira was easy enough to spot - waiting for them to the side. Skye gave her a grin. “Thank you for not making me wait any longer. The anticipation has been killing me.”

~~

The image Tarkin brought up looked nothing like the young, carefree man Thrawn had met at the gallery. He, well, looked like an imitation of Emperor Palpatine. And the pendant hanging from around his neck did not escape Thrawn’s scrutiny.

Symbols, he could analyze in a split second, and this one was no exception. Nearly immediately he saw the Imperial influence infused with the ancient Sith heraldry

More images were brought up, each one Thrawn quickly deduced their true meaning and what they were influenced by. The continued Imperial symbols, the Jedi influence, the Sith Apprentice with the same symbol.

Thrawn knew propaganda art. He had started focusing much of his research in the art field into those being used for propaganda purposes, and he knew, right then, he should’ve considered the play more seriously as nothing but potential defamation against the Empire, which, in many ways can simply be harmless.

But with Eira’s and Lin’s names attached? There could be a bigger impact.

“I see,” he simply said, and he truly did understand. His features had shifted into a more contemplative expression as he began to realize reassessment would need to happen. “You mentioned that the play had been rewritten. Do you know by whom?”

~~

Cora had guessed that the speeders would only take them far in. Beyond that, they would have to rely on their own nav systems if they get lost, but there was the prospect that wouldn’t even be possible. Oh, I do not want to spend a night in that jungle. Traversing it was one thing. Having her guard completely down in order to get sleep? Entirely different one.

With the renter’s most recent question, Cora attempted to prod further for answers they wanted. “So I guess you don’t really get a lot of business here?”

The man shrugged. “Not really, especially not many outside our circle of regulars and officers.”

She took notice of that answer. If the sephi came here, then he may know exactly who they were talking about. “I bet a village of this size doesn’t really see anyone new then, do you?”

Eira met Skye with a similar grin, “I would never.” She said with a slight chuckle, reaching for Adlai. His stress was easy enough to pick up on, and she had some ideas of why. She still wrapped an arm around the back of his neck and pulled him down into a hug, “Go make tea.”

“Yes, ma’am,” he sounded weary, but happy. Relieved. He moved along to go about the task of tea, something to get him away, and useful, he knew. Eira then reached for Skye’s hand. She wouldn’t pull her into an embrace, that was likely to happen later.

Answers, first.

Eira would lead Hala into the home, and into the guest room she usually occupied. She let go of her hand to sit on the bed, “I suppose at the party with Breha, you’ve begun to deduce that Adlai and I aren’t exactly…peaceful opponents of the Empire.”

That was a tactful way of saying it. “We’re rebels, Hala. A group I’ve created with another, operating out of Coruscant. We call ourselves the Shah-tezh.”

~***~

There was the look that Tarkin wanted on Thrawn’s face. There was the understanding. Perhaps the pretty face had gotten to him, but now he understood there was something notable going on, something that Eira was at least a willing participant in.

Tarkin was certain she had a larger role than that. Her history of interviews had shown quite the love of this story, and a desire to play the role of Cora Vessora. He was all but certain that Shay was the machine which made this happen.

They pulled in big names, too.

Eira, Lin, and Darius, among others, were enough to draw plenty of eyes. Tarkin knew it would also be recorded, and likely, eventually, sold so those who couldn’t make it to Coruscant, could still see it.

“I know the public name,” Tarkin answered. “Director Alaric Kresh, the one in charge of it all, hired Darius on and supposedly did the re-writes,” how true that was, was debatable.

~***~

The renter arched a brow at Cora’s question, “No, I just said that,” he didn’t get much outside of the regulars.

Eli swallowed hard, “Well, we’re glad you’re still managing well enough to offer the service,” but the renter just waved him off, apparently no more interested in furthering any discussion on that, so Eli asked, “Do you have any nav that I could buy separate from the speeder? It sounds like we’re going to have to do some walking – one that could at least point us back to a village would be useful.”

The man’s brows knit together in thought, before he shook his head, “No, I don’t have anything like that. You might try Ike’s – he tends to sell to some pathfinders who want to try their mettle against the forest.”

Usually those who were fresh from the guided pathfinding tours. Didn’t tend to end well for them.

Skye’s eyes followed Adlai as he left to make tea, but the touch of a hand pulled her back to the present. She easily followed Eira to wherever she was guiding her, which turned out to be the guest room.

Somehow Skye easily remained silent, until they entered the room and Eira started speaking. While the other woman sat on the bed, Skye found herself too antsy to do just that, so she remained standing, with her arms crossed over her chest for lack of better placement.

The use of her real name caught her attention easily enough. A subtle reminder of the past they shared, and the danger they both faced simply for being who they were.

But beyond the name, Eira admitted to what they were. Rebels, operating with a group in Coruscant. Her eyes widened. “Rebels,” she repeated, testing the word as if it weren’t real. Yes, she knew that something was being conspired against the Empire, and she had her guesses, but for it to be confirmed to be rebels?

“Are there more of you? These rebel groups, that is.” Like the Organas. And Skye, Hala, eagerly awaited every answer Eira was willing to hand over.

~~

Thrawn would easily remember the name of the director, and he would be sure to research them later, as well as ask Eira anything he could without alerting her suspicions.

Or maybe the director was only the face for the entire thing, and someone else was responsible for the rewrites. Like maybe Shay?

He didn’t vocalize that thought. It was only a haphazard guess for now.

It was clear to him what his future conversations with Eira would need to entail, and, like Officer Faro, he hoped Eira would remain innocent in everything.

“In light of this new information, I will adjust my questions accordingly.” And that she didn’t distract him again from his original questions he wanted to ask, like she did so many times before. Did she know? Was it an accident? “Is there anything else, sir?”

~~

Cora suppressed the grimace from her mistake. It was clear they weren’t going to learn much more from the man, and they needed to head elsewhere to prepare for the mission.

“Thank you for your help.” The man grumbled something inaudible and turned back to his datapad. Cora started to walk away from the rental place to find this Ike, but neither had any idea where that was. Pausing, she turned back to face the man.

“Could you point us in the direction of this Ike?” He paused from his datapad to look back up at her.

“Do you know where the cantina is?” A nod. “It’s just a few more buildings down from there.”

Cora smiled. “Thank you.” The man waved them off as he turned back to his datapad. She didn’t bother him anymore as she turned and faced Eli. “We still have some time. Shall we go try and find this place?”

Ae’lia waited for Hala to digest what was said, waited for her to consider what it meant. “Yes,” she answered the question, “Bail Organa leads one that we know of. I have also worked with others, and heard of others. There is a cell on Lothal, with Jedi Caleb Dune as part of it. There is the Mantis with Cal Kestis and Cere Junda, though I have not heard of their efforts in a while. There are the Partisans, led by Saw Gerrera, as well.”

There were more. Ae’lia knew that, too, but those were the notable ones in the mix. “Ahsoka Tano is supporting Bail Organa. We met. I’m not certain if she recognized me,” but Shay had called her out on what she was, and they parted ways.

Whether or not that information would make it back to Bail, was another matter. She didn’t know how it would be navigated in these circles, but she knew there was a change coming. “Bail Organa is uniting the groups that he can, so we can begin to operate on a larger scale.” All together, they’d have more resources. More opportunities. “That is why Adlai went to Alderaan – to learn about them.”

~***~

Tarkin was certain that Thrawn would. He would have to trust that Thrawn’s methods for adapting wouldn’t alert Eira to anything strange, but that was for Thrawn to navigate. “Good. I am glad you understand.”

Now, anyways. He should have understood beyond that moment, but no matter. He was still on track. He had made his way into Eira’s life, and casually so. That would be useful. He just didn’t need Thrawn to get distracted, and lose track of time.

“There is nothing else at this time, Grand Admiral. Do you have additional questions?” More pointed, this time. Thrawn was more than welcome to ask – especially now, in light of the fact some of his ignorance had been exposed. If it led him to other considerations that were relevant, Tarkin wanted to hear them. To make sure he stayed on the right path.

~***~

Eli nodded, “Yeah, might as well,” he supposed there was the risk of running into Ortell and Tobias there, but at least that would make sense. They were looking for something they hadn’t expressly told them would be needed.

They may have guessed it.

Nonetheless, Eli set them back on the path to find the cantina, and then figure out which building was Ike’s from that point.

Thankfully, it was fairly obvious; the sign had his name right on it. Eli was able to walk in, and he saw that it seemed to mostly be some sort of convenience store, selling wares of all kinds, from food to earbuds.

And Ike wasn’t human – the many-armed ardennian looked up from the counter, “More Imperials?” He voiced – a clear indication that Ortell and Tobias had been there.

In their first conversation together, they had already mentioned knowledge of some Jedi, like Cal and Cere, still alive. But the additional names caught her attention. Caleb Dune was someone she knew. Not well, maybe only spoke a few words to him. And then Ahsoka, someone Hala definitely knew. Someone Ae’lia had met.

Was this recent? Within the past few days?

So many Jedi were joining rebel cells, Hala noted. But what choice did they have? They were already dead anyways, so they might as well fight for what was good.

And the truth was revealed on why Adlai went to Alderaan. She had unknowingly gone to a meeting of rebels, but she wasn’t mad or upset in any way.

Hala didn’t realize she had started pacing during Ae’lia’s brief explanation. After she finished, Hala paused, and turned towards the woman, sitting next to her on the bed. “I want to join.” Her voice was barely a whisper, as if she was afraid she would say it loud enough for the Empire to hear. “There’s still more I need to know, but I want to help out.”

~~

Yes, Thrawn did understand now. If he had understood the plan earlier, things may have been different right then. He had met another one of the play’s actors before, at the gallery. The kid, Lin, who was playing the Sith Lord. He could have questioned him as well while they were there.

He would have to deal with the hand he was dealt.

The inflection in Tarkin’s tone hinted that he was serious in hearing any questions Thrawn may have. He nearly brushed it off and end their conversation, but his mind circled back to an earlier point Tarkin made. “You had mentioned that Miss Nevan’s connections are growing, and it is well known she has allies of many backgrounds.”

Himself. Savit. Adlai.

“What are some of these connections that you know of?” Thrawn wondered at some of her other friends who were vocal in their dissatisfaction with the Empire, or maybe any others she knew within the Empire. Did she like to hang around Grand Admirals?

~~

The building was easy to find once they were in the right direction. The owner’s name was on the storefront in large letters, and there were only so many other storefronts along that street. Or that entire village.

The lack of other locations appeared more obvious when they stepped inside the store, which sold a little bit of everything. Cora could easily see a place like that being an important business for the village.

She was slightly taken aback by the appearance of whom she assumed was Ike, and more so by his statement, which came across as a bit rude to Cora. “We’re not exactly that far from an Imperial facility,” she huffed under her breath, not intending for even Eli to hear.

Her voice shifted back to a normal level. “We’re looking for a nav system that can help us in the jungle. Do you have any?” And if Tobias and Ortell had thought to buy some while they were there, she hoped that the ardennian would give some kind of hint at that.

Ae’lia had expected as much from Hala. After being with Adlai, after getting hints at what they were doing – if she didn’t want to join, she would have left. She would have recognized the danger, and walked. But, there was hope now – hope in their growing numbers, and in the Jedi that remained, slowly becoming known. It was a shame that some were known on the wider scale…but it also showed that the Empire couldn’t kill them all.

Ae’lia reached to take one of Hala’s hands in her own, “Of course,” she understood there would be more questions, “It is not only my decision with regards to you joining,” and they did have a full set on the board already, so to speak, Ae’lia did not think it would be terrible to have more.

Shay was looking at outreach with other rebel groups, after all. “But I will address it with my partner. With that…do you want to be known for what you are, or would you prefer to be known as something else?”

She didn’t want to out Hala to Shay, if that was not her own desire.

~***~

Thrawn did not simply dismiss him, and Tarkin found this question fairly agreeable. “Ignoring those within her particular industry,” which could include Savit, he knew, but he didn’t think Thrawn needed a run down of her many celebrity connections.

Even if those were dangerous in their own way.

“Within the Empire, I am familiar with her being on good terms with Vice Admiral Rancit, Dignitary Blista-Vanee, Moff Boyse, and…,” a pause. There was one individual that wasn’t quite the best to mention, but his love of the opera, as well as this opera in particular, drew his name to mind. “Counselor Gallius Rax.” A strange one that Tarkin considered dangerous.

Yularen knew him. He had Yularen looking into the Jakku rat.

He paused, “Among those of the political ranks, outside of every Serenno noble,” which was, in a way, notable. She wasn’t from Serenno. Her ties to Mygeeto were notably weak, “There is Senator Reillata of Naboo, Senator Antara of Raxus, Senator Seastriker of Gatalenta, Baron Calrissian of Bespin, Senator Bonteri of Onderon – and through him I believe Officer Bonteri,” although that connection was not as clear to Tarkin, “and Senator Peony of Riosa.”

And then he sighed, “And among those considered rebel sympathizers, we have found her in contact with Gial Ackbar and Raddus of the Mon Calamari, Numa Vette of the Free Ryloth movement, Maia Bonteri of the Partisans, Amita Din who insists on using what small power remains to hinder the Emperor in his doings through loopholes in the law – and we suspect her bounty-hunting son Nikhil Din, and Amilyn Holdo of Gatalenta.”

It was no small list. “I am certain there are others who are slipping my mind, or newer connections, such as the Organas of Alderaan,” given the gallery, he wouldn’t be surprised, “They are already tied to the Mon Calamari and Holdo, it would be no surprise if Eira’s circle begins to include others, such as Mon Mothma.”

~***~

Cora muttered something, but neither Eli nor Ike could pick it out. Ike recognized it was nothing nice, and let his expression become cross for it. Imperials. Racist, xenophobic, assholes. He was certain it was something crude. “Yeah, got a few left,” credits were still credits, though, and if Imperial assholes wanted nav systems, he’d sell them nav systems. “200 credits a piece, though.”

Eli nodded, and stepped forward, offering his credit chip. “Were two others in just recently?” He asked. “We’re with our friends here.”

“Friends? What, no co-workers, off to do your dirty work in this area?” Though it was a tease, Eli could tell it was not in the least friendly as he ran the chip and offered it back with the nav system.

He also didn’t give a direct answer. “Here you are.” Eli took the nav system. “You know how to use it, right?”

Eli felt a slight bit of offense grow at that question. “Yeah.” His own tone now mirrored the rudeness that Ike expected, and Ike nodded, almost satisfied with that.

Skye easily allowed her hand to relax in Ae’lia’s, tightening her grip for a second in a desire for comfort. She didn’t know how to respond to the question at first. For someone else, other than Ae’lia or Adlai, to know what she was? Who she was?

Her gaze had drifted off in her thoughts, but settled back on the woman when she knew how to respond. “What is your suggestion?” she asked, as her mind was full of uncertainty. “You know them better than I do - would it be easier for them to know what I was?”

There were other Jedi out there who were out for what they were, and it sparked hoped in others. More rebel cells. More like her to come out to try and fight the Empire. If her truth could help in the war, even just among the group, then she would do it.

~~

Eira indeed had many friends of varying influences throughout the galaxy. Many names did not surprise him, from the Empire, or of political ranks, or those who sympathized with the rebels. The name Gallius Rax did cause some pause from Thrawn though, for he had heard of the man before.

An interesting choice for Eira to befriend. A name I would have to bring up in front of her.

“She does seem to move so easily between social circles, doesn’t she?” he couldn’t help but to muse out loud. It was near impossible for her to remain completely neutral when friends with so many opposing sides. She had to believe in one more than the other, even using the other side for her own gain.

Right?

And Thrawn already had his suspicions of which held her allegiance tighter, but it was a thought he didn’t wish to dwell in at the moment.

“Thank you for the information, Governor. It was truly insightful.” And Thrawn meant it. He didn’t quite grasp the reach Eira may have had, and some would say he still didn’t completely, not when politics could still influence so much, but with the confirmation of some of the names, he knew more.

~~

Cora grew annoyed with the ardennian, whom she felt was being rather rude to them for no reason other than their imperial uniform. There were many in the galaxy who looked upon them less-than-kindly, but all she and Eli wanted was the nav system, and to see if two other imperials had already been there.

But she could tell they wouldn’t be getting any clear answers from him. She even entertained the idea that he marked up the price of the nav system for them.

Now that they had the nav system, there was no need for them to remain in the shop any longer. They bought what they needed, and hopefully Ortell and Tobias would have everything else they needed. If not, then they would have to deal with Ike and his shop again, and Cora was not volunteering.

“We should go see if they’ve made it back yet,” she gently urged, making her way towards the exit. While she was certain they would be finishing up their list very soon, Cora used it as an excuse to leave the shop without any further comment from the ardennian.

How was Ae’lia to tell Skye yes, when she herself was not honest with them? Of course, it was what she wanted to say. It would make Skye’s move into their position easier. No one was going to doubt a Jedi. A Jedi would be wholly without suspicion for being a traitor or an Imperial plant.

But Ae’lia remained silent on who she was with them.

For them.

For herself.

“I can’t tell you what to do, Hala,” Ae’lia answered. “I know that they would trust a Jedi. It is the easy way into their circle, but there are only two who know what I was, and even then….” Even then, not much. “It is not that they aren’t trustworthy, but you know the danger those who shelter a Jedi would be in. Not that they are safe as it is right now.”

And yet, somehow, it seemed better to be a rebel.

That was defendable. They’d proven that, time and again.

But to know a Jedi?

That wasn’t defendable.

~***~

Tarkin was aware that Thrawn didn’t understand the political game. In some ways, Eira might serve as a lesson for that. He might come to understand a bit more of what ‘influence’ meant, even though she herself was not a politician.

She could influence them.

She could sway them.

And dating someone like Count Malvern only added to the potential for meeting important people, as well. “I am glad to have helped you begin to see the necessity of this investigation.” He wouldn’t set someone of Thrawn’s skill on something petty. “Is there anything else?”

~***~

The disgruntled figure was likely someone who knew the ins and outs of the area. Eli wanted to speak to him more, even if he hadn’t quite grasped at how. ‘Later.’ Maybe. Cora’s statement meant it was time to go, no matter what. He had no other reason to be there, after all.

Even if it wasn’t likely that Ortell or Tobias were done shopping yet. “Right,” he nodded. “Thank you,” he said to Ike, tipping the nav in his direction, before turning to follow Cora out of the shop.

Ike just waved him out, a muttered, "Yeah, yeah."

Eli would set a course back for the speeder rental.

He had no other place to be, after all. Until Ortell and Tobias showed up, anyways. Then they could compare notes, and consider settling in for the night.

Hala could pick up on the unspoken words Ae’lia hinted at. Not even the two who knew her truth knew everything, which Hala could understand. What if Ae’lia ever learned of Hala’s past? She had so much to hide.

“I don’t know,” she admitted. “You are right, that they would be in danger if they knew what I really was.” And she couldn’t forgive herself should anyone get hurt because of her, because her secret got out to the Empire.

But there was a reason why the Empire hunted them down, and now? Now they served as a beacon of hope for this blossoming rebellion.

“This may be something I’ll have to think about. Maybe see how they react to someone new first?” Although, an immediate introduction with her as a Jedi would leave quite the impression, and Hala did enjoy a great entrance.

~~

And I am glad I finally know why you wanted someone to watch Eira Nevan.

The idea still didn’t settle well with him for reasons he couldn’t fathom. But given the new information, he could adjust plans accordingly, remind himself why he was on that mission. Remind himself that Eira may be playing nothing more than politics with him.

“No, Governor.” Nothing else pressed on his mind to consider asking the Governor about. He hadn’t even expected to talk with the Governor that evening, but by now, Thrawn knew to expect anything, including a slightly irritated Governor calling him.

“If there is nothing else, then I bid you farewell.” He wouldn’t hang up first, but allow Tarkin the chance to say anything else, since he had been the one to initiate the call.

~~

“It seems that we may not get much help from the locals,” Cora had said once they were both out of the shop and walking in the direction back to the speeder rentals. They would have to rely on intuition and Cora’s knowledge of what the jungle contained.

It may be their survival if she could distinguish between an edible berry and a poisonous one. Or which creatures to immediately run away from.

It didn’t take them long to return to the rentals, where Tobias and Ortell were already standing, chatting together with each one carrying a bag full of what Cora assumed to be the stuff they needed. They had caught sight of Eli and Cora before either one could call out for them, and the ensigns walked in their direction, meeting the two other officers halfway.

“Did ya find a place?” Tobias asked, to which Ortell responded.

“Of course they did. The question is, what kind of place is it?”

Ae’lia nodded, “Of course,” this wouldn’t be a pressure situation. Hala could come out later, if she preferred, after she met them, or never. “Do think about it. You may meet them first. You have all the time you’d like, to decide.”

Ae’lia was already taking years with her reveal. If there ever was a reveal.

There was a knock, “Tea?”

Eira smiled, “Come in, Adlai.”

He opened the door, “I told her of the Shah-tezh. We’ll tell them about her tomorrow, and you’ll brief us on what happened at the party. We have a bit to tell you, as well.”

“Oh?” Adlai walked the tea to Eira, who took it from him.

“Mm. One of Bail’s spies has been talking to Holdo. They knew where to find Shay. We had an interesting meeting with them ourselves.”

Adlai palmed his face, “Holdo….”

~***~

“Nothing else,” Tarkin confirmed. He still didn’t have his briefing from Thrawn, but he knew what that meant. Thrawn had nothing to say, or to add, but from this point on, he’d do a much better job. At least, Tarkin certainly hoped that he would.

“I bid you a good evening,” with that, he would disconnect their call, and let Thrawn return to his work.

He’d have to hope for better reports in a few days.

~***~

“Maybe we’ll have better luck in the morning,” Eli wasn’t sure, but he knew he’d rather know a little more about what was going on. They didn’t know for certain there was anything to be found in the jungle, after all. Let alone this particular jungle. There was an entire planet, after all.

Or perhaps Ortell and Tobias had found something out.

“Yes, we found a place,” Eli said, “It’s near the cantina,” he assumed they knew where that was, “There were only two rooms, so you two are bunking up,” Eli added, offering his key to Ortell.

“Did you two happen to find anything out?” He asked, as he turned to lead the way back to the hotel.

Hala nodded. Yes, perhaps she simply had to meet them first and gauge how to proceed from there, and if she needed to step back into her role as a Jedi, then she would. It was clear that some of the survivors were doing the same thing.

But if there was ever a rumor that a Jedi hid on Coruscant? There was no telling what would happen.

A soft knock interrupted their conversation. Adlai, with the tea, came in, and Eira told him of what was discussed.

Skye raised an eyebrow at the name Holdo. Didn’t she meet her before? “Holdo?” she repeated. “Was that the woman with the colorful hair?” She recalled a strange, yet pleasant, woman to show Skye to the skyfaring room, where she and Eira had their first real conversation together.

The woman had made a pun on her name and the room.

~~

Cora just shrugged. It was hard to know if they would have better luck in the morning, or just go in with the information they already had. This was, after all, one of three villages with high levels of recent activity that had been marked as suspicious.

They may not find anything at all.

“Just like the academy days,” Ortell commented, reaching out to take the key from Eli.

“Did you two have to share a bed often in the academy?” Cora bit back a smirk.

The two looked confused at first, then exchanged a look of slight belief. Coughing, Ortell offered to skip over to Eli’s question. “Nothing much beyond what we already knew. Apparently there’s a river about a kilometer or so north of here, and that’s about as far out from the village most people go.”

“Is there a reason why?” Cora wondered. She tried to remember what she could about the rivers of Cartoa, but many of them were so distinct from one another, she would need to see the river to know.

Tobias shrugged. “I think they mentioned something about its currents. They’re too fast for most people to trek across.”

Eira nodded, “Yes, she’s my aide in the public eye, as well as an intern to the Senator of Gatalenta, and a close friend of Leia Organa,” and so, had close ties to the Organas. “It isn’t a surprise she would be more…forthcoming with information about our organization to them.”

“No, but it’s a headache,” Adlai complained as he took a seat on the bed, besides Skye, rather than Eira, his hand lowering to his lap.

“I know. And we’ll speak with her about that, but I think she was right in this case,” not that she’d say so in front of Skye, but in front of Holdo? Definitely. “She is a part of our group, as well, Skye. She doesn’t know what I am.” She added, so that Skye continued to be aware of who did, and who did not.

She was rather useful in many ways; she’d picked up many talents, and had her own connections throughout the galaxy, and unlike the typical Gatalentan, she wasn’t afraid to pick a fight and stand up for herself. She was far from passive.

~***~

Their silence on the question only really inspired more questions for Eli about their Academy days. And even their present days. However, he refrained from his curiosities on their relationship, past or present, and let them answer his actual query without interruption.

Eli nodded. “We’ll go to the river, and see if there’s anything to see there. Might follow it for a bit, see if there might be a bridge someone’s built.” That they didn’t want anyone knowing about. He wasn’t going to make anyone swim a river. He also wasn’t looking into a boat.

If they really needed to get across, he could call for the ship, and have a rope lowered. Easy.

“Did you two meet Ike?” Eli asked.

Skye had glanced at Adlai as he took a seat next to her, but her attention focused back on Eira. “So, who does know what you are?” She had guessed that Amilyn had been a close friend of Eira, but she didn’t know of Eira’s past, and yet she mentioned two others knew what she was. So who was the other?

Then she wondered why she didn’t want to tell the others of what she was. Was it because of that fear for them, if her secret were to be discovered by the Empire? Would that make Skye selfish for wanting to tell them that she was a Jedi?

But how much good would be accomplished in a group with what she was?

“You had mentioned that two people know of what you are. Do you not trust the others with knowing?” Maybe Eira’s answer would help Skye consider what she should do.

~~

The other three agreed with Eli’s plan, although Ortell wouldn’t even be with them at the river, unless rescue was needed, but he figured he could still disagree with a plan if it likely would end up in that situation.

Eli asked if they had met Ike, to which both of them sighed and exchanged a weary look. “We did,” Tobias answered.

Cora lifted a brow. “That doesn’t sound promising.”

“It isn’t,” he agreed, and clarified further. “We could tell from the moment we stepped in the store, he did not care for us. I’m guessing officers don’t get a good rep around here.” Or anywhere.

“He didn’t say anything to us or denied us anything,” Ortell continued, “but we could tell in his voice that he did not like us. Did he do the same to you?”

“Adlai and Lin.”

“Lin knows?” Adlai was surprised to hear that, and Eira nodded with a weak smile.

“He found out, like you,” she’d inadvertently exposed herself. “In truth, Adlai and Lin would not know, if they had not guessed it,” Eira said, “It…I trust them. I trust them all, and I know that none of them would exposes me,” that much was true, “but I know what it means to protect a Jedi. To be sure of protecting one…even if I’m not.”

She had been, and that was enough for the Empire.

“I don’t want them in any greater danger than they need to be in, and they don’t need to know all that I’m capable of,” there was the risk they might get overzealous if they knew the probability of her using the Force to get away with things.

To walk right into the center of an Imperial meeting.

“I suppose…I just want to make sure, if they are captured, if they are tortured, they don’t know that. They’re not entirely damned for it.” And she also didn't want to explain why she was alive. That she had walked out on the Jedi.

~***~

So it seemed they had met Ike. That wasn’t surprising. Nor was their reception, although it confirmed that neither of them were likely the source of his frustration, if he responded to them in such a fashion immediately. Still, if there were issues with Imperials and that was more common, then that could also help explain the crime.

And why it went on so long without punishment.

Others might not be willing to help them out, if Prosperina was viewed as something of a hero against the Empire.

“Yeah, he wasn’t happy to see us,” Eli agreed, “At least I know that’s his norm, and nothing you did,” he said, “though it does make me wonder what the Imperials have done in this area. That could make things more difficult, if the locals are on the side of who we’re looking for.”

Problematic indeed.

Lin?

Wasn’t he that musician kid who was a little too flirty? Well, if he figured it out, then obviously there’s some brains beneath that curly hair of his.

To protect a Jedi…

Skye groaned and allowed her upper body to flop back on the bed, her gaze staring up at the ceiling. “You’re right.” Skye couldn’t risk telling them if she could help it. What she was capable of. What could happen to them if the Empire found out about their Jedi.

What could happen to Ae’lia. Or Adlai. Or the others she didn’t even know. Except for Lin and Amilyn. Hardly.

“I guess the only thing I can do right now is wait and see.” Wait and see how they react to a newcomer. “Then I will know how I should introduce myself to them.”

Skye remained focused on the ceiling, her mind shifting through the possible scenarios with the responsibilities of the Jedi lingering nearby. But are you truly a Jedi anymore? They’re gone. The Order is gone. To call yourself a Jedi is to invite death.

That had earned another groan from her, as she closed her eyes to try and shut out her own thoughts from herself.

~~

Ortell shrugged. “That could be so.”

“I’ve noticed that we’ve gotten a few stares while we were walking around town, while others chose to completely ignore eye contact,” Tobias added in.

That information hadn’t surprised Cora at all, given the welcoming reaction Ike gave each of them upon entering his store. Had the Imperials at the facility done something to earn their distrust? Or was general word of mouth enough for them?

She knew of other planets growing distrustful of the Empire thanks to rebel propaganda. Did they ever visit this planet?

”What are we expecting to find tomorrow, if we’re successful in actually finding anything?” Cora asked. Eli knew more information about this Proserpina character than she did; she just knew to look out for something that seemed abnormal or something that screamed ‘criminal.’ Which could be a very broad thing on a strange planet.

Last edited:
Eira would not argue with Skye’s deduction. It was the sane one, after all – to wait and see. “I promise I will have a meeting arranged soon,” Eira said. Shay would likely want to meet somewhere that wasn’t a base, first. It wouldn’t be too difficult to arrange a dinner. She and Adlai were seeing each other.

Shay was her manager, and Skye was his bodyguard.

It would make sense, and Eira smiled a little as she looked down at Skye.

The impatience.

The frustration.

The fears. She understood it, and noted how Adlai reached for one of Skye’s hands, to hold, to comfort. “It will likely be a little more public, something of a dinner setting, but from there we can move on. I’m sure you understand, no matter how much I or Adlai vouch for you, we do have to maintain our base’s secrecy while you aren’t yet in, but that should move rapidly.”

“Speaking of…,” Adlai began, and Eira already had an idea of what he wanted to broach, “I believe we’re going to need to begin to break-up,” his smile was hesitant, but there. The reason was obvious enough.

~***~

They reached the inn as Cora voiced her question, and Eli shook his head, “I’m not certain,” he didn’t feel he’d gained information at all. He didn’t feel he knew what to look for. Ortell and Tobias were not able to gather much from the townsfolk about, well, anything.

Neither were he and Cora.

Talk of the jungle didn’t reveal criminal activity, just dangers that didn’t relate to it. “Ideally, we’ll see some efforts within the jungle that show something beyond animal activity, so that we can use that to track what else is residing within the jungle,” he said, as they made their way towards the rooms.

“Barring that, we’ll have to actually start pressing citizens for information,” he didn’t want to have to resort to that, for numerous reasons. The dislike of the Empire was only one – pressing citizens for answers wasn’t likely to make them any more liked.

And there was a chance that would get to Proserpina, and she would leave.

That would ruin all hopes of finding much there.

“Please make it sooner rather than later,” Skye moaned. The anticipation would kill her, but she knew she needed to have patience with something as delicate as the secrecy and trust of their group.

She felt the warmth, the comfort, that radiated from Adlai’s hand. A small smile appeared, and she gently squeezed his hand in a nonverbal appreciation. Then, he started to talk. Mention of a break-up. Oh. Oh yeah.

Skye sat back up, her hand never letting go of Adlai’s, and she looked at Eira. “If you feel like you can right now.” She knew how the relationship was to help protect Eira, to keep suspicion off of her, and Skye didn’t want to jeopardize Eira in any way.

“Although, I think a certain Admiral may be happy to learn of the news.” Skye raised an eyebrow, almost accusingly, as she teased Eira. She had seen the two at the gallery, and remembered how she spoke of him before. It didn’t take a genius to notice how the Admiral held some interest in her.

~~

“Finding non-animal tracks? Easy enough.” Cora was confident in herself to be able to distinguish the two, between her research and her days of pathfinding, but she would rather not come across too many animal tracks. Not in that jungle.

“I could start talking with some of the citizens that live near the facility, or even the Imperials there,” Ortell suggested. “Just to go ahead and see what I can find, while you guys are out in the jungle and I’m near the shuttle.”

The woman at the front desk had glanced up at the four when they walked in, but uninterested in their conversation, she turned her attention back to the romance holo she was reading.

As they reached their room, Cora wouldn’t comment on Ortell’s plan - she would let Eli decide if he wanted the ensign to stay in the ship the entire time, or allow him to investigate on his own, given that he has a way of communication with him at all times.

There were pros and cons to the situation. The first, obvious, con was also in what Skye implied, and it caused Eira to sigh and press her fingers to her temple. That could be a headache if she couldn’t navigate it well, and she was at risk of screwing it up because she knew her own feelings were involved.

Adlai was a safety net.

But she couldn’t deny his happiness. “I’ll manage that,” she said as she saw Adlai starting to open his mouth. “If need be I can always speak to Lin, and stars know I’m not without admirers.”

Adlai shut his mouth and smiled, though it was hesitant, “Then you’re all right with this?”

Eira set her hand on Adlai’s shoulder, “We knew this was happen. We’ve had the reasons for a while – that you want a family, and I don’t. It’s easy. It’s amicable. We both went into the relationship uncertain of what we wanted, and as we’ve grown as people, we’ve come to realize we have different long-term wants.” She squeezed his shoulder. “I’m sure people know I’m here tonight. And they know you went to Alderaan without me, too.”

Without knowing she was staying because it was Mitth’raw’nuruodo’s request. “We broke up tonight.”

Her hand slid down his arm.

“Tomorrow, with Shay, we’ll be discussing the publicity of that and how to make it known. We’ll leave sad.”

Because they would still love each other.

“The HoloNews will start to buzz after that, and then we’ll make our announcement.”

“Do we mention Skye in this at all?” Adlai asked. “I don’t…want people to start to think….”

“I think it’s a bit soon to mention her as a motivating factor. She hasn’t been around that long, but in a couple of weeks, I don’t think it would look too strange for you to be closer in public. We can make a point to still be seen together, with her – so long as I seem okay around her in the future, it should go over well.”

~***~

Eli paused in the hallway as they reached their rooms, musing over the thought a bit, before nodding. “Yeah. You’ll need to get food from the facility, anyways, right? More than rations,” they wouldn’t deny Ortell that. “You can use that time to question. I’m also sure you need to use the gym now and then. Question a bit, but put it into a routine – even if it’s not your usual routine."

No one at the facility was going to know that, after all.

This would also keep it from looking like Ortell was sneaking around. He’d be in public areas, or looking for public areas, anyways. “Does that make sense?”

He hoped it did.

“In either case, make sure you’re recording everything, and always have easy access to us,” perhaps they couldn’t help much, but Eli could reach out to Thrawn, and that could make for some quick actions, even with Thrawn far away.

Skye wanted to laugh at her suggestion of Lin. Her and Lin? A couple? Would that even be believable? But she didn’t. She withheld any reaction to her suggestions. They knew more about this world than she did, an effective vagabond until recent.

So she let them talk things out in front of her, talk through their plans of how they will proceed with their ‘break-up.’ Oh kriff, I’m gonna be called the other woman, aren’t I?

Which was an issue Adlai brought up, one that she admired him for.

“Just as long as we don’t have to hide our own friendship.” Skye had only met the woman a few days ago, but with their connection, and their shared past, Eira had been someone Skye had felt closest to in a long time, and selfish reason or not, she didn’t want to lose her.

“And if there’s anything I can do to help you, let me know.” Anything beyond playing her role as written. Anything to help Eira, if something goes awry.

~~

Ortell nodded his agreement. It seemed easy enough, something he could easily incorporate into an easy routine to not seem suspicious. Would anyone question a young ensign practically fresh from the academy?

Well, maybe, but he could also hope that they thought he was being some annoying young recruit. That he could play up. “Yes sir, it makes sense.”

And he would have a device on him to record everything, as well as easy access to his communication line with them. “Don’t worry, I won’t let you guys get stranded in the jungle.” He grinned, but the statement only made Cora wonder what would happen if they did get stranded in the jungle. Would they be able to reach him? Would something out there interfere with communications too much?

Oh let’s not think about that right before bed. Cora turned to unlock the door, hiding the flush that slowly crept up her face at the thought of bed. One bed. Shared with Eli.

“If that will be everything, then we’ll see you two bright and early in the morning.” The door swung open, and she flashed them a smile before walking into the room.

Eira shook her head, “No, it will actually be better if we don’t. We need to make it obvious that Adlai and I are still friends. If we appear to be friends as well,” her hand left Adlai’s shoulder to gesture to Skye, “then it will be more convincing that Adlai has my blessing to have a relationship with you, and that it wasn’t a matter of him cheating on me.”

Which, of course, it never was, but the public was never going to know that. “You just happened to be at the right place, at the right time, and the relationship blossomed freely when Adlai and I left each other. It’s why we’ll need some time before you two do anything publicly to hint at a romance,” not that the tabloids wouldn’t start the rumors.

Adlai would deny them, at first.

That might hurt Skye, but Eira hoped, if this was what they wanted, that she could hang on until Adlai had to come out, a bit embarrassed, to claim they were now a thing, that other people had seen it before he had, and of course – that Skye an Eira were still friends, and Eira was glad he found someone who suited him better.

“Celebrity is nastier than politics, really,” Adlai chuckled, “but we’ve been at this a while,” he said. “Just two to three weeks, I think.” It was a short period, perhaps, but understandable enough.

Some celebrities moved on much quicker than that and faced little scrutiny for it.

~***~

Eli agreed with Cora – that was everything, and it seemed Ortell and Tobias had nothing else to add. He turned to the room as well and stepped by Cora. He caught the flush on her face.

He thought to offer to sleep on the floor.

He suspected that might just make her more embarrassed. “I’m going to take a quick shower,” he said, figuring that he should at least do that so he had enough time to dry before he’d turn in for the day.

It would also make the first step of being in less clothes easier, since he hadn’t packed pajamas. He’d just end up sleeping in his tank and boxers, unless that seemed to bother Cora. This would be a quick way to check that. If so, he supposed he could throw back on his actual pants. “I’ll try not to use all the hot water.”

“I don’t even want to imagine that backlash if people started speculating Adlai was cheating on you with me.” Already she knew more people would be interested in learning who this mystery woman was, but if there was a scandal that surrounded her? It may be enough to drive Skye away, back to hopping from place to place under a different name.

But...she liked her name. She liked being with Eira and Adlai.

“I trust you two to know how you navigate this situation.” Like Adlai said, they’ve been at this a while. “Celebrity, politics, it’s all the same to me.” They all dealt with blatant lies and sneakery, and Skye was just not good at acting.

She groaned, leaning her head on Adlai’s shoulder. “Training never covered anything like this.”

~~

Cora sounded her acknowledgement to Eli. There was a light chuckle as he vowed to not use the hot water. “Thank you. I would rather not have to deal with a cold shower.” But the bed may quickly warm her back up.

And the man laying in the bed with her.

Doing what she could to erase that thought, and image, from her mind, Cora set to do what she could before her own shower. She perched herself on the edge of the bed and removed her hair from its bun, only to plait it into a simple, tight braid she would keep for the shower and for sleep.

Much like Eli, Cora didn’t have any pajamas on her. She surmised she could just wear her tank and the underwear she had on, if it didn’t bother Eli too much. Or her.

Come on Cora, you’re not some silly teenager, despite what your siblings still may say to you. Get a hold of yourself.

She removed her uniform tunic, and draped it over a chair, and her boots, leaving her in a tank and her pants. Those she would wait until she showered.

Adlai smiled and reached a hand to wrap around Skye’s shoulders and hold her close. Now that he could. Now that this part of the business was done, and the rest would soon follow. “Not your training, perhaps,” Eira teased as she rose from the bed and stepped back. She inclined her head forward, “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to start crying and head home.”

A light chuckle.

She could cry on command, and it would make sense for her to leave crying if they’d broken up, no matter how amicably. It was still a break. A change. A new and frightening thing that stole away dreams of the future.

It wouldn’t be too bad, though. No wailing, no sobbing – sniffles and tears would suffice. Wane smiles to people she passed. “I’ll speak with Shay when I get home and send you the update for the dinner tomorrow.”

“Assuming you don’t have to cancel.”

“Assuming I don’t have to cancel,” she agreed, and then, after taking a step to the door, she paused, “I’m glad for you two.” That was sincere. “I’m glad to have you both in my life, as well.”

~***~

Eli didn’t need too hot of showers as it was. He stepped into warm water, and rinsed himself off, before looking over what the hotel provided. It wasn’t much – though he supposed he should be grateful for anything. He put the shampoo into his hair, and used the bar soap to further clean up, but he didn’t waste his time with the conditioner.

He never really did, no matter how much he was told it would soften his hair even more. Besides, with that little? Cora probably needed it more.

As soon as he was washed off and rinsed, he stepped out, towel-dried, messing up his hair further with that, and then dressed into the tank and boxers. He kept the towel over a shoulder, though, as he grabbed his clothes to lay out in the main room.

He could wrap it around himself it seemed necessary from Cora’s reaction. “All yours.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back