• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Star Wars: Demesne [Closed]

Skye knew that the reason Breha gave her was complete bullshit. She swallowed a scoff, but her lips still turned upwards in amusement. The idea of Emperor Palpatine with a party hat on, surrounded by streamers and presents had been one of the stranger images her mind had conjured in quite some time.

The manner in which Breha had responded to Skye’s thoughts suggested that maybe she was on the right track. That there indeed was something going on that the Empire would not like.

And that, she wanted to join more than they could ever know. Whatever it was, it included Adlai, Eira, and the Organas. People she knew she could trust.

“Is there any way I could get involved with this party planning?” She raised the cup to her lips, taking a sip of the diluted toniray, and looked expectantly at Breha.

~~

A light hum, signaling her curiosity in Tarkin’s request. Thrawn wouldn’t fault her for that. He, too, wanted to get further inside the governor’s mind, but he could hardly go up to the man and ask him the questions he wanted answers to.

No, that would only invoke ridicule and other assignments he did not wish to do.

“Maybe I shall, the next time we communicate with one another.” He could see Tarkin wanting an update on the situation soon, especially after the kerfuffle with Kashyyyk and the slanderous article about him. Aside from that, Thrawn just knew Tarkin would’ve known that he and Eira spent some time together on Coruscant. He will need to spin the story just enough so that Tarkin could clearly see that Thrawn was working.

That it, nothing more. A conversation on a park bench was nothing more than just that. There was nothing more on how he couldn’t stop thinking about the contrast of Eira’s eyes to the landscape around them.

“For now, we will focus on figuring out more about this Shay character.” Right now, she was the most suspect, and they needed to find out if her journalism career truly ended when she was hired by Eira, or if it just went underground.

~~

Ahsoka furrowed her brows, listening intently to the story Eira and Shay both explained. What she heard of the Partisans from their story held true to what the Torgruta knew of the radical group. They didn’t do anything small; everything almost always ended up with massive explosions to get their point across, and to destroy the Empire any way they could.

“It may be time we completely cut off any connection with the Partisans,” she suggested. “They are risking too many lives, and it’s obvious they are not entirely trustworthy.” Their careless attack put Eira at risk, as well as the Wookies. It was clear they were only thinking in terms of how many Imperials can they kill immediately.

That was the wrong way to win wars.

The addition of Grand Admiral Thrawn was interesting. Ahsoka looked from Shay over to Eira. “The Grand Admiral?” she repeated. “Are you two close?” Her tone wasn’t accusatory, but curious. “If this attack doesn’t damage anything, having him as a friend may be beneficial.”

~~

Ortell shook his head. “No gear here, but we did get recommendations on everything we should buy in the next town. One of the residents here said to get everything there, because the items will be cheaper.”

Which didn’t really matter to them, as technically the Empire would be paying for it, so Tobias added, “and a better selection, so we figured, might as well wait until we get there. Less to carry around.”

“Well, depending on when we decide to head to that village, we could get the shopping done today and be prepared to head out early in the morning,” Cora said. “I’m curious, what were some of the dangers they mentioned?”

Ortell scratched his chin in consideration. “Well, there were the vines with the venomous thorns.”

“And the deadly snakes,” Tobias added, “as well as the bugs.”

The smile that grew on Skye’s lips caused a more impish one to pull at Breha’s lips, too. They were likely both thinking of what a strange sight it would be, for Palpatine to celebrate a birthday with all the fixings – cake, balloons, hat. Happy Birthday being sung to him. He looked so much older than he was.

“That is one of the things the Count is here for,” Breha noted, “We have different methods of planning parties,” different groups, different people, different hang-ups. “We are seeing if we can come together or not, to plan a good party. I believe you may want to learn more about his planners.”

If she wanted in on Breha’s, that would require leaving Adlai, and going through her own sort of background check.

She didn’t think Skye was prepared to do that, nor would she want to. She was just…frustrated with things as they were now. Once it was clearer – and Breha knew it would be, or Adlai wouldn’t have even brought Skye here, then she wouldn’t be so frustrated.

~***~

Karyn nodded. Probably best to go to Tarkin with a bit more information anyways, before asking. If they could show that Shay might be more responsible for things, than perhaps Tarkin could accept that – or perhaps he’d have a reason to make Eira more suspect than Shay was.

“Right,” Faro nodded. “How would you like me to help?”

Faro didn’t know if Thrawn would want her to continue assisting. She wasn’t exactly trained in comparing writing styles, or, really, anything involving research into rebels. She wasn’t a spy or an agent.

Then again, she knew her job on the Chimaera would always expose her to so much more than just simply overseeing a ship.

~***~

“We’re already doing so,” Shay stated, at Ahsoka’s indication they should cut the Partisans out. Shay didn’t give many chances to begin with, these times were too delicate for that.

Ahsoka’s question was a legitimate one, but the look that Shay gave to Eira when it was posed caused the actress to flush, “Yes, are you close?” Her tone was terse, giving some indication to the fact that Thrawn was something of an issue already.

Eira breathed out, and met Ahsoka’s gaze, “You know as well as I that not every Imperial is evil,” because she knew Order 66, because she knew who some of the Clones were. Because she knew how disillusioned people became with the Jedi, and how it all looked from the Outside. She, like Eira, had gotten Outside.

And yet she knew it was wrong to say that – to imply she knew something about Ahoska that hadn’t been confirmed.

She didn’t backtrack, “Mitth’raw’nuruodo is an unknown at this time. I call him friend, as I do Grand Admiral Savit, and others within their ranks. They don’t know what I do. I suspect most would not support it, but I think Mitth’raw’nuruodo could be different. He comes from outside the known galaxy and is still learning our history, and what the Empire is, as well as what was. There’s potential.”

~***~

Eli snorted. He wasn’t that concerned with pricing. He doubted it’d be that much of a difference, although he knew he shouldn’t blow the Chimaera budget. Thrawn would appreciate that. Still, if it was just a couple credits here and there, it wasn’t likely to be noticed or cared about.

“Fair enough, we’ll find it in the next town, then,” he allowed, not intending to make them go back and do the job he sent them on. They’d done enough, he supposed.

Snakes, vines, and bugs. “Bugs?” That was vague. “Like, spiders, wasps, or…ants?”

Either way, it sounded like they’d be picking up antivenoms, that was for sure. He gestured briefly for the bartender, intending to use the time while ‘bugs’ was elaborate on to hand over a credit chip and get this situation handled so they could get moving.

Skye still couldn’t quite grasp onto what exactly was going on between those of more sobriety at the banquet. She had theories, sure, but they were only theories until she could get confirmation. No matter what, though, she knew it went against the Empire, and that’s what she cared about.

Too long have she lived in fear.

Skye turned so she could glance at Adlai across the room, talking to some slim, red-headed senator in white robes. She looked familiar, but Skye couldn’t quite place a name to her face. The smile remained on her face as she focused back on Breha.

“Yes, I suppose you’re right. I should trust him in that he will tell me more about his planners and their methods.” And she will be sure to strangle it from him whenever they’re back on his ship. Adlai did promise to get in contact with Eira after the banquet.

~~

No, Thrawn wouldn’t need Faro for anything else concerning Shay specifically. He had others dedicated to deep research, and that wasn’t her field. “For the meantime, if you hear anything new about Shay, or if another one of those...slander pieces about me is published, do let me know.”

He was hardly worried about his reputation being sullied, but he knew other officers would mind, and some would even use it as a weapon against him and his position.

He could name several in an instant who would not hesitate to throw the article in his face should he see them anytime soon. I will simply have to give them a reason to regret that.

“And,” he started, before he hesitated a moment, “if you have any advice to offer, concerning the state of my reputation after the publication of that article.” Not that he necessarily cared about his reputation, per se, but Tarkin did. The Emperor did. As well as many others.

May as well try to not ruin it any further, for the sake of his officers.

~~

The look Shay gave Eira caused Ahsoka to feel some regret in the question, but the blush of the woman quickly turned that regret into curiosity. Was it something more than just friendship?

She straightened with the woman’s answer. Right then, she knew her silent questions about Eira were answered, but there was still that lingering secrecy. Did Shay not know? She couldn’t blame Eira for hiding so much from those closest to her. Everyone had to be careful these days.

“You still think there’s potential within him even with his ranking of Grand Admiral?” Ahsoka’s tone wasn’t accusatory. Eira’s response did leave Ahsoka with thoughts of what if. Thrawn wasn’t human, and it was quite well known that the Empire did not favor aliens. If the Empire ever turned their sights on his homeworld, would his attitude and allegiance change?

If they could make him switch sides, then that would be one more powerful ally for them.

~~

“A little bit of everything,” Cora chimed in. Her eyes had flickered to the movement of Eli handing a credit chip to the bartender. “The spiders can get pretty big, ants that can work together to inject enough venom in a human to kill them, wasps that can do the same thing but with far less numbers.”

The jungle was a worst case scenario for anyone who hated bugs, and it gave them great reason for that fear.

“Yep, that sounds about right from what that man told us.” Tobias’s cheerful tone had flattened some with Cora’s rundown of the bugs.

“And you’re the one who gets to have all that fun,” Ortell said. It was clear that he was not jealous in the least of his friend who did have to brave the jungle.

“Mon Mothma, of Chandrila,” Breha found herself automatically saying when she saw where Skye’s eyes went. Their leader, of course. Bail was among the leadership, likely, like Adlai, but he was not the true power at the throne. No, that honor belonged to Mon Mothma herself.

As they knew that Eira was among the leadership of Adlai’s side, and another – Shay, was what Holdo told them, and so Ahsoka had gone to Coruscant to find more. Had Eira arrived here, it might not have been necessary, but Eira’s situation forced her to stay on Coruscant.

So, Breha said, “Yes. I believe there is an Eira who has more of a hand in these plans than Adlai,” a name, one she was certain Skye must know, given the ties to Adlai himself. “One of two, from what I hear,” and Adlai was not that second.

But she wouldn’t out the other by name, or anything else. “I hear they’ve created some fascinating parties, even if one got crashed.” Saw…the Partisans…they were endlessly frustrating for all other rebels.

~***~

Karyn nodded. She would certainly let Thrawn know of anything new with regards to those things, if someone else didn’t before her. She suspected many on the Chimaera would tell him, looking out for him. Looking out for themselves. The crew of the Chimaera was tied to Thrawn, no matter what.

What Thrawn asked of her was…strange.

She pursed her lips together, “Thrawn, I…I’m not exactly someone who knows how to deal with this.” She wasn’t famous. Her status as an officer was lower than his, any fallout she had wouldn’t be so publicized as this, nor could it ever be as detrimental.

“I have seen what celebrities do, but celebrities have different rules than us. I’m not sure if it would go over the same, or if you might be breaking some of the unspoken rules of your position,” she knew what Eira had done.

“They tend to release statements, addressing the situation,” setting their narrative. “Some will take action to show they understand the significance of the situation,” Eira was donating to the families impacted by the Kashyyyk incident, and although not publicized, she was staying on Coruscant because of it, as well. “But we don’t really see Imperials addressing situations or breathing anymore life into it.”

Grand Moff Tarkin never addressed the Carrion Spike being stolen and going on a rampage across the galaxy.

No…right after that, instead, the Tarkin Doctrine was released.

~***~

Eira gave a slow nod to the question, “I do. I understand that potential is not something to put our full faith in, however,” she would give Shay that, and give Ahsoka her understanding of it, as well. “And so we must continue to work as if he were an enemy, for the most part.” She could give him no information, she could only work as a friend.

As a friend who held criticisms and concerns about the Empire.

As a friend who hoped he would begin to question it more, as well.

Certainly, she’d heard more questions and grumbles from Savit, as time went on. She’d heard a shift in his music, too.

~***~

Of course the bugs would be notable. Eli winced at the thought of what they would endure in the jungle, and he definitely hoped there would be some way to avoid it. “We’re going to need a lot of antivenom from the sounds of this,” he noted, credit chip returned to him. He slipped it back into his datapad.

“Some repellent if it exists,” he said, slipping off his stool. “Either way, we should go find out the best way to get to the next village.” What sort of transit system existed, if any, or if they would need to rent some vehicles.

He wasn’t sure what to anticipate, and he supposed he should have done more research on that. Still, they would find a way. “Did either of you learn about transportation to the next village?”

They’d been told to get supplies there. Maybe they heard how to get there, too.

Chandrila? Skye knew of the world, but not much into their politics. Don’t they aim for peace? From the little she did know, she didn’t think Chandrila would be the one to bow down to Emperor Palpatine, and from how Adlai was talking with Mon Mothma, Skye easily came up with her own conclusions about the planet.

She had turned back to Breha when the queen mentioned Eira, and how she had her own hand in the plans. Somehow, that didn’t surprise her. Not with the people Eira associated herself with.

Skye recalled her conversation with Eira, how the woman urged Skye to hold on to hope that the Empire won’t be forever. Was there something else behind those words? Something to hint at what exactly they were planning?

Eira better get ready to answer all my questions later. “Do their parties often get crashed?” She didn’t know what Breha meant exactly with those words. Did Imperials make an unannounced arrival? Someone else?

~~

Thrawn frowned. He wasn’t sure what Faro would actually know of his situation and how to help, but it seems she knew little. It was easy for her to admit that.

There were others he could ask, before he ever faced Governor Tarkin.

“I see,” Thrawn drawled, brows furrowing as he attempted to think of some solution to this publicity problem. No, he surmised that he would need some assistance if he truly wanted to help his image among the Imperials. If it could be saved.

Maybe Eli could help direct him in the right direction, whenever he returned from his mission on Cartao.

“I thank you, Officer Faro.” He turned in her direction and gave a slight inclination of his head. “Please do let me know if you find out any more information about this Shay character.”

~~

Ahsoka nodded her approval. “Good.” She was pleased to hear that they were trying to separate themselves from the Partisans.

If they were to continue to work with Saw Gerrara and feed him information, more attacks like the one on Kashyyyk would occur, and only serve to weaken their cause.

Ahsoka maintained her focus on Eira. “You mentioned another name with that Thrawn guy. A Grand Admiral Savit?” She had entirely too many friends within the Empire, regardless of whether or not she thought that not every Imperial was evil.

“Please, tell me more about him.” Any information she could use against the Empire. “And, I have to ask, do you normally try and hang around grand admirals?”

~~

Cora nodded her agreement. She hardly wanted to imagine one of them injured in the jungle, having just been bitten by one of those bugs or another creature, with the only thing to do to wait for help.

“We’ll be able to buy some in that village,” Tobias confirmed. He slipped off the stool, with Cora and Ortell following. “As for transportation, we’ll have to rent a landspeeder.”

Ortell nodded. “It’s the easiest way to travel between villages here due to the density of the trees in some areas.”

Cora frowned. That didn’t sound too promising if they needed rescue. Would they be in an area that a ship won’t easily be able to retrieve them? “Isn’t this just sounding better and better?”

Breha considered.

She didn’t know as much about Adlai’s side of things, which to her, meant one thing: probably not.

Still, she briefly bit her bottom lip in thought, before letting out a hum and shaking her head, “No, I do not believe they do. They have a fairly good reputation,” so far. They were researching that a bit further, too.

There was one party that got crashed that was fairly notable, after all. Not only did it drag Eira down, but Thrawn – although Eira was doing a masterful job at recovering. It was why the Organas opted to help that benefit, even if the benefit itself seemed targeted at Imperials, or at least, Imperial sympathizers.

~***~

Karyn nodded, “I will let you know immediately, Grand Admiral,” she supposed she could look into it a bit more, between tasks, see if there was much more to say about Shay. See if Eira ever did make any comments about her, or if there was anyone else notable that she worked with.

It did seem wrong that her entire career as a journalist might just…vanish. Pseudonyms seemed likely.

She hoped that others would be able to help Thrawn with narrowing that down.

For now, Faro would dismiss herself, and let Thrawn get to his work with regards to Shay, his reputation, and much else. She would get back to managing the reports of the Chimaera and seeing that it was running smoothly, even while just situated above Coruscant.

~***~

“Balanhai Savit,” Eira answered, chuckling a little at the assessment, “I promise you, I had no intention of sticking to one group. Balanhai met through shared interest in music. I’ve worked alongside him in the Coruscant orchestra and other arenas.” It wasn’t that he was a Grand Admiral that drew them together. “I have met other Imperials, of lower ranks and in other fields, through the opera, the orchestra, and other arts.”

Some did it because Palpatine liked the opera, and they were hoping to rub elbows with him. Others genuinely enjoyed it. In either case, Eira had met several, and plenty would trip over the heels to do her a favor, if asked. It was a power she used very, very sparingly, because things like this, with Thrawn, could happen. “Savit’s family is rather famous for their orchestral compositions and some for operas and musicals, though not as famous in that department. He never really needed to join the Empire.” And because it was never a need, because he already had much, he was easier to see through.

His lofty position among Coruscanti Elite gave him a sense of security that others lacked. “He’s been displeased with a few decisions that have been made, of late. You can hear it in his music, as well.” Or, she could, anyways.

“Savit is the reason I know Thrawn. He asked me to perform at the party for Thrawn’s promotion. Otherwise, it’s unlikely our paths would have crossed.”

Her connections to Imperials always got her into interesting places.

~***~

Eli wasn’t displeased with the thought of a landspeeder, though he would have preferred something easier. Still, he’d driven enough before the Empire, he supposed he could manage. He just wouldn’t be happy about it. “We should make sure to get one with a good Nav system, or we’ll end up passing by the village.”

He figured that wouldn’t be a problem, if this was what people relied on to get around. Anyone could get turned around in a mess of trees, after all.

Still, he chuckled a bit at Cora’s comment. “Weren’t you excited this morning?” Perhaps the wrong word, but she’d definitely been more cheerful.

Of course, he was just poking fun, “It won’t be that bad. I’m sure the landspeeders will hold up, and we’ll get there in good time.”

“Good, I expected nothing less.” Skye had hoped for nothing less. With a former Jedi consular, she imagined that their group had the opportunity to consider plans more carefully than most would.

But, she also didn’t know who else was in this little group with Adlai and Eira. Anyone she met at the gallery?

One idea kept popping into her mind as to what was going on. The biggest one that would require such secrecy even amongst individuals. Skye focused on Breha, her own eyes full of curiosity and that sheer desire to know.

“Are you trying to gather people to plan this party to end all parties?” Are you all trying to see about the end of the Empire?

~~

Eira’s unique position in society allowed her to intermingle with a variety of people and affiliations. That much was clear with her friendship with two of the Grand Admirals.

“There’s not many who can weave themselves through society like you can, are there?” Ahsoka’s lips turned upwards in the smallest smile. Thoughts ran through her mind of how this could potentially be useful, her ability to just waltz in the middle of an Imperial party without a spare glance.

Minus, of course, a glance of intrigue at the famed singer and holostar.

But, if Eira was what Ahsoka thought she was, then the woman was risking her life by attending such parties, more than by being a rebel.

Ahsoka wanted to get this woman alone, away from Shay, so she could ask the one question that prickled at the back of her mind.

~~

Cora smiled at Eli. “What are you talking about? I’m still excited.” She knew of the bugs before Ortell and Tobas came back, but hearing their further information on the jungle from the villagers and Imperials solidified how dangerous this mission could be in her mind.

Even if she was afraid, she wouldn’t want to show that in front of Eli.

“That’s the spirit!” Tobias bellowed, causing a few of the patrons in the cantina to turn and glare at the ensign as they left. “There was a place to rent landspeeders near the facility. They looked to be up-to-date, or, well, at least close to it.”

Cora frowned at the thought of going anywhere on this planet without a decent navigation system. It would hardly be beneficial to get lost before even officially starting the mission.

‘Why else?’

The Empire was massive – and within its borders, were many unhappy people. Divided, they stood no chance. The Empire would continue to find the small cells before they could come together, and destroy them.

But united?

They stood a chance. They’d have more resources, more intelligence, more everything. They stood a chance of bringing more people into the fold, as well. Once people saw they weren’t alone….

“Of course,” Breha answered with that easy smile, “Palpatine’s birthday party has to be the best of all, don’t you think?”

~***~

Eira shook her head at Ahsoka’s assessment, smile lingering on her lips as well, “No, there aren’t.” Which was precisely why she held rank in this group – on par with Shay. They were the founding members, but more than that, the most capable. They both had their ways of accessing areas they shouldn’t.

Finding out what they shouldn’t.

“But what about your side?” Shay cut in, “You know how we operate. How does your group operate?” That was important, as well. They had, after all, just been burned by the Partisans.

They had to know they weren’t about to get burned again, and know what they were looking at, if they entered into any sort of alliance with Bail Organa.

~***~

“Thanks,” Eli said to Tobias as he mentioned where to find the landspeeders, glad that wasn’t going to be difficult. “We can proibably ask about the nav systems,” figure out how up-to-date they were, although Eli wasn’t anticipating much of an issue.

It would be easy to locate the rental area, as well, and the speeders did have nav systems. The seller even went over how to set them up and program them for the villages around the area, which Eli at least appreciated.

It’d been a hot minute since he had driven one, after all.

Eli would make sure to purchase one for each of them to use. Thankfully, there were enough of them available.

With the utterance of a confirmation, everything became so much clearer for Skye. The secrets. Eira’s true role on Coruscant. The secret language. The silence.

And she knew, despite her years of hiding, running, and doing what she had to survive, Skye wanted to help. She could help. Despite the past fourteen years, and despite what she may be today, she was still a Jedi Knight who fought in the clone wars.

They needed more than politicians.

“Oh, I couldn’t agree more.” Her smile slipped into one more impish, before she raised the toniray to her lips for another sip. “After all, he has done so much for us. Isn’t it time for us to return that favor?”

~~

Ahsoka’s attention turned towards Shay. There was a moment of silence, as she considered how much to reveal to them. Bail had trusted her judgement, and the connection she felt towards Eira wanted her to reveal a little more.

“Right now we’re keeping an ear out for rumors and reports of any rebellious or insurgent activity in the galaxy. We’re seeking out individual groups throughout the galaxy to form a wide, interplanetary network of rebel cells.” Such as her recent connection to a rebel cell on Lothal, one that had particularly interested her due to the presence of the Jedi Kanan.

“It is my role to report back to Bail Organa, and deliver any information he has to give.” Normally, she wouldn’t have revealed her face or her name, but in this special case, she did so to those two.

“Essentially, we need unity if we ever hope to defeat the Empire, and that’s what we hope to achieve.”

~~

The landspeeders should have no issue in getting them safely to the next village. Having her own set of navigation skills, albeit on a grander scale, Cora glanced over the nav systems, to see if they were truly up to the task.

From what she could see, they were. Or, they will suffice enough for the purpose of their mission.

“When was the last time any of you drove a speeder?” Cora asked, finishing her inspection of her speeder as she glanced up at the men.

Tobias lightly hummed in thought. “I can’t remember exactly. Maybe a little over a year ago?”

“I would say about the same for me,” Ortell added. “What about you?”

Cora paused for a second in consideration. “I wanna say a bit longer than that for me. Maybe three years?”

Skye well understood the meaning, and she was, it seemed, entirely on board. Whether or not her group was ready to bring her fully on board was another matter, but that was not something that Breha could intervene in. The cells had their own rules, and their own way of working. She wouldn’t presume to step into that mess right now.

“My thoughts exactly,” Breha agreed.

There were others who needed to see her. Others, Skye should speak with, as well.

She touched the woman’s shoulder. “And if you find that you do not mesh so well with those planners, you can come back to see me. We can talk more,” but for now, she would respect what was going on with them, and let Skye determine that for herself. “In either case, we hope to be working closely with them in the future.”

Once they knew what they needed to know.

~***~

Ahsoka gathered information for Bail, which was understandable. Bail, too, was looking to unify things, to bring Rebel Cells together, so that they would be able to challenge the Empire. It wasn’t enough, though. Perhaps Ahsoka wasn’t the one with the answers, but they had to try, all the same.

“What has Bail Organa’s group been doing? Or what is he looking to do, Ahsoka?” Again, a shift in tone from Eira. Diplomatic. Collected. Interested. “If we are to help him, and provide him with more on us, we need to know what he intends to do with the information, more than just…go against the Empire. Otherwise it’s the same as the Partisans to us.”

She knew it wasn’t. Bail, obviously, was far more subtle than that – which was why they didn’t know as much about what he was doing.

Perhaps he was just gathering people right now – but he had to have a plan, a point, when he would start using those people.

~***~

Eli took a seat on his own speeder, “It’s been a while,” he admitted. Not since Wild Space, but he still knew how to do it. He’d just start out slow. “Ortell, you’ll take the lead to the next village,” he directed, “Give me and Cora time to remember what we’re doing.”

He hoped it wouldn’t take that long to figure it out again. It all looked familiar, and he was able to get it started with ease.

Still, he knew if he maneuvered too fast at first, he was likely to ram headfirst into a tree. Then there’d be medical issues, and paying for the entire landspeeder…not fun. Thrawn wouldn’t be happy with him for taking a foolish risk.

The nav system came right up again, showing the information to navigate to the next village, but he’d wait for Ortell to take the lead on this. He may be more inclined to piloting starships, but he figured he might still be the best for this, too.

A warm smile touched her face at the touch of the Queen’s hand. “Thank you for the offer. Hopefully it will work out though, but none of us can predict the future.” She wanted to stay, for Eira.

After not knowing how many Jedi, former or not, were left in the galaxy, Skye didn’t want to let go of the one person who knew what she was going through.

“And if that pans out well, then I hope we see more of each other in the future.” Aside from the banquets, if Adlai were to attend many more of them. “But I do hope it’s not because more mercenaries decided to try and kidnap the wrong queen.” Her eyes twinkled with amusement at the recollection of the night they had met.

~~

Again, Ahsoka paused. She could answer Eira’s question to some extent, but even everything that Bail did was unknown to her. He had his own secret missions that he told no one else, and she trusted his judgement.

But how much should she tell Eira and Shay?

“As of right now, he’s looking to keep these individual rebel cells around the galaxy, instead of congregated into one place.” Recognizing the slight tingling sensation of legs falling asleep, Ahsoka adjusted them, using the opportunity to mull over her answer some more.

“Ultimately, we aim to wage a war of attrition against the Empire by slowly weakening their bases, and Bail Organa has been using his status as Viceroy to aid those planets who have suffered greatly under the Galactic rule.” Or, from what she had heard, Leia Organa would often take up those diplomatic missions herself.

~~

Cora carefully seated herself on the landspeeder, while Ortell and Tobias both took up their own with relative ease. Okay, this isn’t so bad, she thought, but immediately followed up that thought with the image of her crashing the speeder into some tree.

Everything looked familiar to hear. On either side, she could hear Ortell and Tobias starting up their landspeeders, and she did the same, proud of herself for not flooring the acceleration the moment it turned on. Okay, so these are the right buttons. I got this.

“Alright, ready?” Ortell called out to everyone. Cora confirmed, as well as Tobias. Once everyone had done so, he took off in front, leading them out of the village and down a makeshift path that looked like it may have been a road at one point.

Cora allowed herself to keep an eye on her own nav system while also maintaining visual on Ortell. With every passing second, she felt more comfortable driving the landspeeder, as if it hadn’t been a few years since she last done so.

Breha laughed aloud at that thought, and shook her head. “I would certainly prefer our interactions to be much more peaceful than that at the gallery,” she agreed, “not that I was terribly upset to see you give those mercenaries what they deserved.” That was said a bit more hushed.

Of course, if Skye hadn’t, others would have.

Breha would have never left the planet, she was fairly certain of that. Not with the situation the kidnappers had tried to take advantage of. The new Grand Admiral, for one, would have never allowed it to happen. Eira and Adlai were also likely to act with haste.

“If things go well, I am sure I’ll see you at more events like this,” she tilted her own glass towards Skye. “And you’ll get to know many more planners.”

~***~

Bail Organa was not yet bringing them together in one place. They were separated, operating likely still by their own rules. Eventually, perhaps, they would come together – but at least they were operating in ways that kept other cells informed of their activity.

They could help each other that way.

The Shah-tezh was much better at support, anyways. ‘A war of attrition won’t work in the long run.’ They would have to go harder than that, eventually. Of course, that was eventually, when they had more people. When they could. Bail was being smart, it seemed.

Shay and Eira shared a look, before they both looked back at Ahsoka.

“I believe we are interested in joining this union,” Shay answered, “When Count Malvern returns, we will speak of what he has gathered, as well, and provide a formal answer not long after.”

~***~

Thankfully, the path they took was one that was well-navigated. The grass was lain down, revealing it easily enough, and the trees were far off the path, for the most part. They could swerve wide and be fine.

It still took time, and Eli’s hair had definitely seen better days, windswept as it was when they arrived at the next village, but it had been…well, a bit fun. He was grinning as they parked their landspeeders at the rental place in this village, and gave the keys over to the man there.

“All right, Ortell, Tobias, you two are still on supply duty,” Eli said to them. “Cora and I will go find a place for us to stay. We’re not going into the jungle tonight,” otherwise he would have just left Ortell back at the Imperial facility. “Try to pick up any rumors, as well.”

They were more likely here.

Skye agreed with Breha’s sentiment. They threatened her and caused injuries throughout the gallery. Skye didn’t regret subduing them the way she had, and she would gladly do it again.

But, hopefully, she wouldn’t, assuming the Empire could find out who hired them.

She tilted her own glass towards Breha in a mirrored movement. “I sure hope so, and get my questions answered about this party.” Slowly, her questions were getting answered, after a brief bout of irritation and frustration with Adlai that she now felt guilty for.

A Jedi isn’t supposed to act that way. Her Master’s voice will never leave her.

“I suppose I shouldn’t keep you from your guests much longer. It was nice talking to you, your Majesty.” Skye dipped her head in a silent goodbye. Her mood was much better since Breha came up to her.

~~

Ahsoka waited patiently for any response from the women. Underneath that patience was a layer of worry that they might not agree with what she said, with what Bail proposed. They needed every group, ever cell, that they could find and who was willing to work with them.

But Ahsoka didn’t have to worry about that. The Sephi gave an answer, and the one she wanted to hear. A grin crossed her face. “That is great to hear.” It truly was.

And if Eira was what, and who, she thought she was? Then they just gained a significant ally in the rebellion.

Ahsoka didn’t stand up right then. “I look forward to hearing more after Count Malvern returns. Before I leave, is there anything else you want to ask?”

~~

The journey had been easy enough, and Cora found herself wanting to take it again. She disembarked from her speeder, and while her hair wasn’t quite as disheveled as Eli’s due to the bun it was in, some strands still managed to escape.

“That’s a good look for you,” she said to Eli, grinning at his hair. She wouldn’t quite call it cute, but it did allow her gaze to linger on him a bit longer than usual, her gaze only pulling away when Ortell and Tobias made their presence known.

“Supplies, got it!” Ortell confirmed with a nod of his head. “Hey, Tobias, do you remember everything we need?” There was a bit of a sheepish grin on his face as he came to the realization that he couldn’t remember all of the items that villagers had talked about.

“Of course, because some of us actually write things down,” he replied with a light scoff. His attention turned back on Eli, “So we’re meeting back here in an hour?” A place they all knew where it was.

Once they got the confirmation, Tobias and Ortell would leave in the direction of what looked like to be a small market.

“And it was good to see you again, Skye,” Breha agreed, before she would move on to others – and indeed, eventually speak to Adlai himself, a bit chiding that he brought Skye with him, given the situation, but nonetheless, they were able to divulge a bit more as certain guests lost their senses.

To learn a little more about what he was trying to do in the rebellion, and what they were looking for in an alliance.

They seemed to match up, more or less, though Adlai noted he couldn’t agree to anything. He had to take information back to others, and they had to discuss it. Whether it would end up a full discussion of all, or just the leadership, was also not something he was certain of.

Holdo would likely tell them that, though Breha didn’t mention that.

Eventually, the party began to wind down. Bail ushered people out, the terribly drunk and the not-so drunk alike, although some of those terribly drunk were loaned rooms to stay in and sleep it off, if they had no one to help get them back home. A few of the not-so drunk, such as Mon Mothma, would stay, as well.

Adlai would not, though, and he would go to find Skye as it was winding down.

A bit tentative, although she had seemed happier through the evening, he wasn’t so sure that was going to apply to being happier to see him.

“Skye,” he said, clearing his throat, “I think it’s time we head back to Coruscant.”

~***~

It was the only answer the pair could give right then. There was much that Shay and Eira had to consider, and what Adlai had to say would certainly add to that. Of course, they both anticipated a positive reception, but it couldn’t be guaranteed. Not yet. Neither were going to lie to Ahsoka.

“One more thing,” Shay said, “It is not directly related to the matter of the rebellion, more a curiosity,” she gestured towards one of the woman’s lightsabers, “Were you a Jedi?” She seemed young for that, but Shay had a suspicion.

Plenty of suspicions, really.

Usually, she didn’t ask. Better not to know, but there was a problem with that: more of them were showing up. “There is talk of Jedi on Lothal,” she said, “and a whisper of something on Corellia.”

Eira cut her gaze to Shay, “You didn’t mention that.”

“It’s not certain,” Shay said, looking back over to her, “Little point in mentioning it without certainty to you,” although she saw the slight tension.

Yes, usually better to leave it alone. “No lightsaber sighting, just something of the Force being used, and no conclusive evidence.” Her gaze went back to Ahsoka. “There seem to be many more popping up right now. It’s why I ask.”

~***~

Eli’s brows lifted at Cora’s comment on his hair. In spite of it, he instinctively lifted his hand to try and fix the mess he knew it was in, but it was likely fairly pointless until he washed it. Then it’d be fixable. He didn’t have any hairspray or such to fix it while dry.

He was amused with Tobias and Ortell.

They made a good team, though. He was glad to have them together. “Yeah, we’ll meet back here,” he decided. Good a place as any, then he could show them to where they were staying, once he had figured that out. “If you need me for anything, my comm’s on,” he added, before nodding to Cora, “Let’s go find a place to stay.”

He didn’t think it would be that hard. This village was larger than the other one, but it was still nothing like Coruscant. Not even close.

The Queen left her side, and Skye spent a few minutes in awkward silence by herself, as she observed everyone, and tried to guess who really was drunk and who wasn’t.

Eventually one of those who was clearly on their way to being drunk approached her, which helped to break the ice for the remainder of her time there. At one point, even Jan Dodonna came up to her. He offered nothing to show that he remembered her, but she had a feeling he did, much like with Bail Organa.

No trace of her mirth from the evening activities left her face as Adlai came up to her. “Of course,” she nodded. “I trust you had a pleasant time?”

There was no evidence of her earlier frustration towards him. Skye had realized, thanks to Breha’s help, the seriousness of their situation, something that truly had to be handled with caution in regards to who was told of every plan.

And hopefully he would hold up to his word of contacting Eira after this.

~~

Ahsoka perked up with the confirmation of an additional question. Shay was curious and gestured to one of her lightsabers. Her mood fell slightly, as images of the past flickered through her memories with the heavy question.

It seemed her curiosity stemmed from rumors emerging from other planets. She knew of the Jedi and his apprentice on Lothal, but Corellia?

Ahsoka scrunched her nose in thought. “I haven’t heard of the rumor from Corellia.” She would have to remember to mention that to Bail Organa later. The more Jedi they could get to join their movement, the better.

And besides, she had her own reasons for wanting to contact any Jedi.

“To answer your question,” Ahsoka started, having smoothed over her face back to neutrality, “I wasn’t a Jedi. Almost, but things...happened.” The finality in her words strongly hinted that she would not elaborate further on that matter. Another time.

~~

Ortell and Tobias had confirmed everything with Eli before they had set off for the markets.

Cora’s gaze followed them for a few seconds, before Eli’s voice realigned her focus. Her eyes shifted back to him, and she nodded her agreement. “I could’ve sworn I saw a sign for a cantina that way,” she pointed in the opposite direction of where the two ensigns went.

“In my experience, that usually means some type of inn is nearby.” It made sense to her. Travelers love to frequent cantinas, and any proximity to a place to stay allowed them to drink more with little worry of stumbling and getting lost.

She had started in the direction she pointed. “And if not, then we’ll at least find someone who could help us.”

Adlai gave a nod, “I did, yes,” he remained a bit wary as he answered, wondering if this was some sort of trap question, to lead into her explanation that she did not have a pleasant time, and resented him for it.

She was likely still seething over all she didn’t know.

He’d make a gesture to follow, regardless. He didn’t assume she’d changed her mind due to events enough to not intend to go along, and he’d rather suffer that hell privately, in his ship, than out here in public.

He had learned plenty. He was fairly certain that an alliance with Bail would be beneficial to them, in both the short-term and the long-term.

It wouldn’t take long to get to the hangar, at any rate. And certainly, there wouldn’t be difficulties in getting to their ship. It was still right where they left it.

~***~

It was no surprise to Shay to see the flickering of emotions across Ahsoka, none that seemed positive. What happened to the Jedi was a tragedy. Those who carried their legacy, no doubt lived with plenty of survivor’s guilt, among other traumas.

Ahsoka hadn’t been.

It had been her path, once. ‘Padawan.’ Shay filled in, and wondered what had happened. Her tone, her expression, however, allowed no further questions. “I understand,” Shay might probe later, look up the name, but she had to be more careful with those sorts of things.

Any spike in names of Jedi, or could-have-been Jedi, might get the attention of the Empire if they noticed it being searched around the HoloNet. “That is all that I had, then.” Shay said, and Eira nodded her agreement.

Further information would come from Adlai, and then, if they found they needed more, they’d reach out to Bail.

~***~

Eli chuckled at the logic, not faulting it, but finding it amusing that some things seemed universal, even for someone from the Core. Wherever there was booze to be had, there was usually a place to rest not that far. Usually, anyways.

“All right, we’ll start there,” he agreed, and would start off in the direction that Cora had pointed in.

The cantina was easy enough to recognize with its sign, and there were other shops around it. No residences, but besides it – seemingly attached to it, really – there did appear to be an inn. Eli nodded to it, not heading towards the cantina, but towards the door of the inn, instead.

It seemed relatively small, but Eli was hoping that might be an illusion of sorts, even as he stepped into it and noticed the small lobby space. ‘No continental breakfast….’ Darn.

Adlai’s wariness did not go unnoticed by Skye, who made no mention of it. She did feel some small satisfaction from it, but nothing more. It was clear that he knew what he did, and how she had felt about the situation, and that was enough for Skye.

She followed after him back to the hangar and from there boarded the shuttle. She remained silent as she crossed the main area to the cockpit. It wasn’t long before she was approved to take off, and steadily the shuttle lifted and flew out of the hangar, towards the planet’s atmosphere.

“That was some interesting party,” Skye finally spoke. In a few minutes, they would be able to enter hyperdrive. Her gaze remained focused on the viewport as she piloted the ship.

And she had debated on approaching the subject of what the party was for more gracefully, but Skye couldn’t keep it in anymore. “A party to help plot against the Empire? I didn’t know politicians could be so bold.”

~~

Shay didn’t probe any further, but she understood. She knew what Ahsoka had hinted at and to not ask for more details. Good. It was never easy for her to recount the events of what had happened so long ago, and she hardly wanted to do so with someone she didn’t even know.

Her and Bail would need to discuss the Shah-Tezh further.

“Alright.” Ahsoka rose to her feet. “I will discuss with Bail what I learned today,” and about their involvement, or lack thereof, with the Partisans, “and we will look forward to hearing from you again once this Count Malvern returns.”

She started in the direction of the exit, adding one more thought over her shoulder, “And if you have any further questions, you know how to reach me.”

With that, Ahsoka would leave the two women to contact Bail about their next plan.

~~

The cantina they found reminded Cora of the one in the other village. Similar design, but perhaps a smaller building. They bypassed the cantina though for the inn right beside it. She wondered if the two buildings were connected on the inside, allowing the guests of the inn to easily go between the two businesses.

The lobby was indeed small, with nothing more than the clerk’s desk. Behind the desk sat a woman with dark skin who appeared as if she was nearing middle age.

The woman glanced up from her datapad, laying on the desk in front of her. Cora couldn’t tell what was on it, but with the speed the woman turned it off, it was nothing work related. “May I help you?” she asked.

Cora nodded. “We need a few rooms for the night.”

The woman turned her datapad back on, and there was no question that it was for work this time. “There’s only two rooms available for tonight.”

Adlai took his place in the co-pilot’s ship, and spoke what little he needed to, in order to verify his identity, who was with him, and get the clearance to leave. He didn’t relax as he may have otherwise once they were in the air. Once they entered lightspeed.

He sighed at Skye’s more pointed statement.

He still wouldn’t confirm it, but he got to his feet, “I’ll call Eira.” That was as close to confirmation as Adlai got. He didn’t deny what was stated, he didn’t defend himself against it. It was the truth, after all. They were plotting against the Emperor, and more than most, he knew what the Emperor was.

A Sith Lord.

He wasn’t sure if that was something even Bail Organa knew, or if he just suspected it.

He would intend to leave the cockpit to make that call.

~***~

They didn’t, actually, know how to reach Ahsoka herself, but neither argued with that. Eira lifted her hand, “Safe travels, Ahsoka,” she wished, before the togruta was out of sight.

A silence fell over herself and Shay.

Shay let her attention leave Ahsoka’s trail, to look at Eira. ‘Why won’t you tell me?’ It was there on her face, the longing to run after Ahsoka, to speak to her, but unlike Skye, Eira had no need to confirm who Ahsoka was.

And either Ahsoka didn’t know her, or opted not to speak of it.

“Corellia….” Eira said softly.

Shay couldn’t quite contain the snort at her intent to address that. Shay rose, “As I said, rumor. Nothing worth pursuing just yet,” she walked back to her monitor set-up.

No, today she wouldn’t ask Eira.

There was safety in uncertainty – but stars, how she hated this. “Once I know for certain, I’ll tell you.”

~***~

Two rooms for the night would mean a split. He knew immediately that Tobias and Ortell would be together, and that left him and Cora to one. It brought a slight flush to his cheeks, but he wouldn’t let that detour him from what was necessary. “We’ll need both rooms,” he answered, stepping forward, “Just for one night,” for now.

The woman nodded, and read Eli off the price, letting him offer his credit chip to cover it, before handing it back.

She didn’t seem to have much interest in what they were doing here. Obviously, if they were here for a room, they were here for something, but it didn’t concern her.

He stepped back and spoke to Cora once it was paid for, “I plan to have Tobias and Ortell in one room, and us in the other, but if you’d prefer another arrangement, tell me.” He knew it could be uncomfortable, but he thought they got along well enough – he knew he liked her – but he didn’t want that to make the situation odd.

After all, Cora had been told by Karyn.

She might prefer to be with someone she knew less well to avoid any strange discomfort.

Skye lifted an eyebrow at Adlai’s announcement, and she watched him leave the cockpit from her peripheral. She had expected for him to say something else before calling up Eira.

Once the ship entered lightspeed, and she was able to take her focus away from piloting, Skye left the cockpit to follow after Adlai. “You know I’m not mad at you, right?” The insecurity started setting in as Adlai’s apparent mood continued to seem off to her. Because of her.

Because of her earlier fears.

“I may have been frustrated earlier, but I know it was wrong of me.” And to show it so openly, that the Queen noticed and talked to her. “Regardless, I probably should have waited until we were back on the ship before confronting you about it. I keep forgetting I’m now surrounded by people who are in the public’s eye.”

A sheepish expression crossed her face, hoping to put Adlai’s wariness to ease.

~~

After his conversation and review with Officer Faro, Thrawn had headed back to his chambers with full intention to ponder over everything that had been given or revealed to him.

This R.D. Shay seemed like a likely suspect in their investigations. He had faith that his crew would be able to dig up more information on the Sephi, but he also wished to see if he could question Eira in a way that would allow her to easily slip some information to him, wittingly or not.

An unpleasant twist formed in his stomach at the thought of simply using her to get to someone else, but as he punched in the code to his chambers, Thrawn shook the idea from his head. Ridiculous. She had always been a mission and nothing more.

As if deliberately timed, Thrawn’s comm signaled with an incoming call. The door closed behind him, and he looked to see who it was.

Oh.

The last person he wished to talk to at the moment, given his recent public appearance with Eira, and what had transpired the last time Thrawn had talked to Tarkin.

Unfortunately, he allowed the call to come through. “Governor Tarkin,” he greeted. “To what do I owe the pleasure of this call?”

~~

Only two rooms. They would be sharing. Cora knew Ortell and Tobias would share, and she didn’t wish to share a room with them. Not for any reason other than she didn’t know them well, and she knew Eli better to some extent. They would be sharing a room. Would there only be one bed? Two?

Still, Cora couldn’t fight the light flush that crept its way onto her cheeks.

Eli offered a different arrangement, if she wanted one, but Cora shook her head. “No, this is fine by me.” They were Imperial officers stationed aboard the Chimaera. They could handle sharing a bed for one night. It was nothing.

Cora took a step back and motioned to the hall that held the few rooms of the inn. “We still have some time to kill before we’re supposed to meet back up with the other two. Do you want to see what we will be dealing with tonight?”

Really, Cora just wanted to know right then if the rooms would have one bed or two.

Adlai hadn’t gotten the call through yet, he was interrupted by Skye following not long after him. He jolted, hearing her voice, expecting follow-up accusation or anger. Instead, her voice was calm, and he relaxed himself as he heard it, but the tension didn’t quite leave his shoulders.

He remained a bit wary.

A bit on guard.

He wasn’t off the hook yet, he was certain of that. Certain he still couldn’t say anything, either. “No, I don’t know that,” he said, “You made it fairly clear you were upset with me earlier, Skye.” He wasn’t inclined to forget that, and he knew she had every justification to be angry with him, so he also wasn’t going to fight her on that, either.

Enduring the anger was just what he’d have to do until it could be made right.

So he wasn’t sure he believed that it was all water under the bridge just yet. He wouldn’t fight that either, though. Her sheepish expression brought out a wary smile, “You will learn,” to navigate the expectations of society. To be in the public eye. “Still, you’re owed information, and I don’t intend to prove myself to be a liar when it comes to that.” He intended to still take her earlier frustrations seriously.

~***~

Governor Tarkin was dealing with the headache that was Lothal and it’s incompetent people. He thought a Grand Inquisitor would help. So far, he was questioning the need for Inquisitors more and more every day.

Nonetheless, he hadn’t lost track of everything else, from Stardust to…well…Thrawn.

He had sighed at the pictures that appeared on the HoloNet, but supposed this meant, Thrawn had a report to give. ‘Or he should.’ Tarkin wasn’t expecting it, he found, as he sent the call through in a moment of waiting.

Waiting for plans to go forward.

Waiting to get rid of these so-called Jedi.

“Grand Admiral,” he greeted as his call was answered. On his own side, he was sitting at his desk, seemingly relaxed, “I have seen the images of yourself and Eira,” he began, “I am hoping that you have an update for me on the situation.”

~***~

Eli nodded, and offered her one of the keys, “You can pick which one you like better.” He said, before he would take the lead to go back towards the rooms, up the stairs. The rooms themselves were across from one another, instead of besides each other.

Eli went to one of them to open the door.

Inside, it was quaint. Small. A holoprojector, a bed, a small table with two chairs, and a comm device to reach someone if it was needed, likely for food or maintenance. There was a fresher in the room, as well, but not much else. Nothing to make caf, or even to heat up food, which Eli found at most places he’d stayed. At least the hues weren’t offensive, greens and browns, for the most part.

He usually stayed in better places than even that, when he had to, but this was certainly low on the rungs of quality.

Still, it would work.

“How’s the other?” Eli asked, looking back to see if that door was open, to see if they were pretty much the same.

The jolt did not escape Skye’s notice. Neither did the tension he still harbored. Slight guilt wracked her brain, even her earlier frustrations were justified.

And here he was, trying to have her questions answered.

She sighed and moved over to sit on one of the sofas. “I’m glad, because I still do want that information. Queen Breha may have been able to answer some of my questions, but I’m pretty sure that only created more.”

And maybe she could figure out more about Eira with these answers, such as why, of all planets, she decided to live on Coruscant. Or maybe why she loves to befriend Imperials.

~~

Thrawn felt the beginnings of a migraine pulse in the back of his head. When he saw that Tarkin was calling him, he knew the question that would be asked, concerning what had happened.

On his side though, he stood straight with his hands clasped behind his back, no irritation evident on him.

“I am not surprised that you know of that meeting,” he admitted, though he had hoped that Tarkin didn’t see the pictures, that his disguise of sunglasses helped any.

There are so many blue aliens that Eira associated with.

“As for an update on the situation, that brings in mind a question of my own.” Faro’s inquiry came forth, in how she wondered to him what Tarkin wanted to know of Eira. And Thrawn did not know. “What exactly is this situation?”

His voice remained cool as he questioned the Governor. “You never did tell me what you wanted to know about Eira Nevan.”

~~

Cora took the other key and nodded, not fighting the offer one bit. She had a feeling that in a place like that inn, both rooms would be the same with very little variation. Would the rooms at least include two small beds instead one larger one?

She followed Eli up the stairs and took to checking out the other room. It was a mirror of the first room. Small, with a bed, a holoprojector, a table with two chairs, and a comm device. It was much more...quaint than what Cora was used to staying in.

Granted, most of her hotel stays overlooked cities, not jungles. Was this a normal room for the average person outside of the Core? She wouldn’t ask Eli.

That may be offensive.

The door to the room was open, so Cora heard Eli’s question. “Pretty basic,” she answered, turning to look at Eli and get a glance at the other room. “They seem to be pretty much the same.”

Adlai nodded, agreeing, glad that something Breha had said, or did, helped to ease Skye’s mood about the entire situation. She was aware from Breha it was all against the Empire. She was clearly in favor of that, but Adlai knew that just because someone favored that, didn’t mean they were willing to take action.

Fear was a strong motivator, too.

And Skye had many reasons to fear.

“There’s…a lot to question. I know from experience,” he added, before he did push the call through. He wouldn’t ask Skye to be quiet.

It took a few moments for it to go through, but eventually, Eira was hovering above his datapad. “Is everything all right, Adlai?”

“Yes,” he said with a smile, “Everything went well, we have a bit to talk about it.”

“No kidding.”

Adlai lifted his brows, wanting to ask about that response, but opting not to. “First, you need to speak with Skye. We’re on our way back now. Can you meet at my home?”

Eira didn’t even question it. “Of course. I was hoping to speak with her myself.”

~***~

Tarkin was not the least bit impressed with Thrawn’s attempt to skirt the question with one of his own. It was not a mark in his favor, as Tarkin raised his brows. “Do you mean to inform me, Grand Admiral, that you have been acting all this time without a clear idea of what was required from you, and you are only now asking me?”

Tarkin knew what he’d asked Thrawn to do. Had he explained why? Only a bit. He knew that indicating Eira had friends on both sides, and significant influence, didn’t tell Thrawn the entire situation. Plenty of people toed the line of neutrality, but Eira’s reasons weren’t power or wealth.

Not that he could see.

He had also given Thrawn a timeline to Eira’s opening date for her play, for a reason, that Thrawn didn’t seem to see.

“I need to know where her loyalties lie, Grand Admiral. Her influence is growing, and with it, her connections.” He knew Thrawn wanted more than that. He knew he could offer more. “Her potential to be an enemy to us, to use the public’s love of her, as well as her films, plays, music – to use those particular mediums to turn people against us, is a present threat. The changes to the Cantata of Cora Vessora are already notable enough, or have you still neglected to look into her work?”

~***~

Eli could see there wasn’t really any difference at all. Not even in bedding. There was no benefit to taking one over the other, so he shut the door to his, “Yeah, good for what we need them for,” at least there was that. They could sleep, and move on.

“You can keep that key. We’ll use that room. I’ll give this one to Ortell and Tobias,” he said, before he slipped it into a pocket for safe-keeping, “We should probably go wait up for them now,” even though they might be waiting a while, “maybe we can get a map or something from the landspeeder rental here.”

Or at least ask for more information that may be known about the jungle, since that was likely to be where they’re heading.

“Maybe they sell to a sephi often enough,” he shrugged, but wouldn’t bet on it. The Sephi probably had her own speeder.

Eira did not hesitate to agree that they all had a lot to talk about, to which Skye perked up a little. Did she have something else she needed to discuss with them? And then there was the added statement of her wanting to speak with Skye as well.

This was when Skye made herself known to Eira, moving close to Adlai so she could better see the woman’s face. “Oh?” The question weighed heavily in her tone.

She knew she wouldn’t get any answers until they met up at Adlai’s place, which wasn’t that long of a trip, but for Skye, it might as well have been a day’s journey. “And what would be the nature of this conversation. Did you miss me?” She teased, but she knew that whatever it was, it had to be something far more important.

~~

Of course Tarkin would clearly see through Thrawn’s subtle diversion. He could see more clearly, more thoroughly, than most others Thrawn had to deal with on a daily basis, which was one reason the two shared a sort of understanding towards one another.

But Thrawn was haphazardly stepping between that line.

He allowed Tarkin to finish before he would step in with his further comments, carefully considered words to not further irk the Governor. “I had my ideas of what you were looking for, but I needed them to be confirmed, so I can give you the details that are of utmost relevance and importance.”

He already saw Tarkin scoffing at that.

“I have started glancing through her repertoire,” Thrawn admitted, though he decided to omit that he hadn’t done so since the gallery. And still, many forms of human entertainment eluded him, because they dealt with tales and customs he still had yet to learn.

“I did meet her manager today though, R.D. Shay.” Would this be something Tarkin already knew about? “She became of interest to me when we dug up a little of her past. She used to be very vocal in her displeasure with the Empire through her journalism, but she completely dropped that career when hired by Eira Nevan as her manager. We do have suspicion that she still publishes libel under a pseudonym.”

And what better way to slander someone through information obtained by someone who has friends in that circle?

~~

Cora followed suit and shut her door, or rather their door, behind her. She wanted to disagree, to say that they were exactly good for what they needed. They couldn’t at least have two separate beds?

But that wasn’t important. They had a place to sleep for the night, and they would leave first thing in the morning.

She slipped the key into her pocket. “A map may be good if they have one. Also, since it seems that we have some time, maybe asking around for anything else.” These villagers may have different information concerning the jungle to pass along than the other village that largely housed Imperials.

“Do you think we should ask that landspeeder rental if they see any sephis around her?” Cora started to head back in the direction of the lobby. “It may be a long shot, but any information would be better than none.”

Eira’s smile was indulgent, even through the holo, “Of course I have missed you,” was the easy answer, the honest one, as much as it wasn’t the answer that Skye was looking for. No, she had to tell Skye about Ahsoka – and if Adlai was wanting her to talk to Skye, she knew what else she had to say.

She knew there was heading.

She had a few rather large decisions ahead of her, for the Shah-tezh, and for herself.

“We’ll talk more once you’re here,” she promised, “I’ll be waiting,” she could let herself into Adlai’s home easily enough. Make some tea, put on a movie, relax until they showed up. It wouldn’t be a terrible wait for her, unlike Skye.

~***~

Tarkin was, indeed, scoffing at what Thrawn said, internally at least. It was for him to decide what was relevant. At least Thrawn had started to look into her work, although apparently, not her current work given the absence of any indication of it. No specifications.

Vague.

Except that he met Shay. A crooked near-smile touched Tarkin’s lips at that. “Oh yes, I am familiar with her,” Shay had tried, and failed, on numerous occasions to speak with him, or get in contact with him, even before he was Grand Moff.

“I’m fairly certain she remains vocal under a pseudonym as well,” he agreed, “and I have a vested interest in seeing to that discovery, and her downfall, but that is not my concern. Eira can recover from the loss of a manager, and if she has a movement around her, I suspect they can, as well.”

Shay had gone into the shadows for a reason, which was the notable part. Eira was doing something Shay believed in, and was willing to go underground for.

~***~

Eli walked back to the stairs, to the exit of the inn, and shrugged his shoulders, “I’m not sure.” It might be good, it might be bad. They couldn’t play dumb forever, after all. Eventually, they had to get some direct answers about the activity going on. “I would think if she uses a speeder, it’d be one of her own.”

If only because it could be expensive to be constantly renting. Or else she stole one some time ago.

“It couldn’t hurt, since I don’t think they have much business with her,” he said. “They might be able to say a bit without realizing it,” that was the hope, anyways.

He led the way out, “Would you have suggestions for approaching this culture more directly for questioning?” He asked. He knew her area wasn’t exactly in that realm, but perhaps she’d picked up a bit about the culture.

Skye returned the smile with her own genuine one. No, it wasn’t the answer she was looking for, but it was an answer that still made her happy. They hadn’t had a chance to talk to one another alone since the meeting in the skyfaring room, and it was clear more was needed to be discussed.

Soon.

“I look forward to seeing you.” And having all these damn questions answered she wanted to say as well, but they all knew Skye wanted that. She had made it clear enough to Adlai.

Skye returned to her original spot on the sofa, and allowed herself to relax into its soft cushion. Her muscles had been tensed, a consequence of the earlier argument and being at the Organa banquet, full of politicians.

“Do you have any idea what else she wants to talk about?” Given Adlai’s earlier reaction, Skye figured that his answer would be no, but she was curious of his thoughts on that matter.

~~

So Tarkin already knew about Shay. That didn’t surprise Thrawn. No doubt their connection was what led to a true interest in investigating Eira. “I see.” They all had every reason to suspect Shay, and he almost wanted Tarkin’s opinion on the possibility of her writing that libel article on him.

Almost.

“I am only picking up a little information here and there on Eira’s life, but she is beginning to open up more about the personal details of her life.” He knew Tarkin wanted answers, but something like this needed more care and attention to detail.

“You stationed me on Coruscant for three months, and I intend to utilize those three months to the best of my ability in order to deliver a full report to you of whether Eira Nevan is truly friend or foe to the Empire.” He knew Tarkin wanted those answers now, but Thrawn simply didn’t have them.

~~

Cora found herself agreeing with Eli. If this Sephi used a speeder, it would almost certainly be her own. Renting far too often, not only would quickly get expensive, may also attract attention simply by being seen there too often, as opposed to just passing through the village.

She needed to lay low and not have any cause for someone to notice her.

Cora paused at Eli’s words, frowning as she knew she didn’t have any answer. She didn’t answer for a moment, as she wracked her brain for any information about their culture.

But it wasn’t her area of expertise. She knew what was on the planet, what kind of climate and constellations it had, but the culture? That was hardly something Cora looked into beyond a sentence or two in passing.

“I’m not sure,” she admitted, which she hated herself for. “In my experience, lower populated planets tend to be wary of strangers and newcomers, so we may be at a disadvantage here.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back