• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Mitheral

"Growf!"
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Note: There have been some updates to this Description. They will be in the first post of the Main IC Thread.

USS Athena
NCC-74925

Officers 300
Enlisted850
(At least two-thirds of these MUST be Terran/Human.)

The newly commissioned USS Athena is supposedly a new class of starship called the Sojourner, but the deck plans correspond to a Sovereign Class ship. Officially it is a Sovereign XQ ship, a prototype. It has a number of new technologies installed.

Note: I chose this ship mainly for the beautiful deck plans. However, there have been several major alterations. I also had in mind a larger vessel, closer to the Galaxy class - and meaner looking. (The Sovereign class had 23 decks vs the Galaxy class’ 42.) The main thing is that there will be NO FAMILIES and about 1000 crew. If I could find Enterprise D blueprints that were linkable, I’d use it.

Deckplans
Technical Data

Edit: And found some Specs and Deck info for the Odyssey Class, which fits a heck of a lot better, just no deck plans. Bummer, but not necessary. The concept comes closer to what I had in mind for functionality.

Odyssey Class
Specs

Special Auxiliary Craft
In addition to Runabouts, etc, there is a classified Prototype vessel, the SS Prometheus that belongs to Rhand. Only he and Diane have access to it. (This is NOT the USS Prometheus, which is also a Federation ship in canon sources. It was actually built almost 400 years ago.)

Timeline
I am going to be using a non-retconned timeline, with the Eugenics War taking place in the late 1990’s. So yes, the RP history will vary a lot from even current history.

Ranks
Starfleet ranks
We will be in the year 2387.

Dr Jonathan Rhand
There is at least one civilian on board with a Provisional Rank of Captain. However, the rank is VERY provisional and applies to matters of engineering or must fall in line with StarFleet protocols. The PC is a young man, a mere 32 years of age. He graduated StarFleet Academy in two years in 2382, but declined his commission and instead adopted the civilian title of Doctor. He was offered numerous research positions which he also declined and instead pulled a vanishing act, possibly joining Section 31.

Five years later he returned with the Athena. Despite his provisional rank, he prefers to adopt the title of Doctor or simply his name. (He understands the importance of chain of command and that there needs to be one captain.) His primary duties are those of a Scientist Engineer, assuming responsibility for the experimental or “black box” technologies. (The Chief Engineer will probably not like this.)

Edit: Updated age to 32. (He was 25 when he was first encountered by the Federation. It has been 7 years.)

Diane Miller
There is a second civilian with a provisional rank of Commander. She also attended Star Fleet, but followed the cue from the Doctor. Her skill specialties are in computer engineering and linguistics. She has also made a serious study of psionics and spent two years at the Vulcan Academy. Her official role is that of cybersecurity and psybersecurity. She also serves as First Officer when aboard the SS Prometheus.

The Rest of the Crew
I will be looking for group members to assume the roles of the command personnel. There will be NO FAMILIES. However, officers are allowed to bring spouses. For obvious reasons.

There WILL be an EMH. There are also similar Security personnel to augment biologicals. (Diane calls them Stormtroopers.) Also, there will be similar ‘civilian’ roles assumed by holographic personnel. Yes, they all have mobile emitters.

Please, no Androids, or Founders. I love the characters Data and Odo as much as anyone.

I welcome some original races, but keep their influence on the Alpha Quadrant minor. Should you choose to create such a race, you will also need to submit a CS for them as well to place in Lore.

William T. Riker
This is the sort of thing I am looking for in a CS. No, not so detailed. I can only read so many books. And most characters will be a lot younger with careers only so far along. Feel free to use a face claim. Use Spoilers, Tabs, or whatever formatting you can. I may create a Blank CS from this - though it won’t be as pretty.

Missions
GM Guided is a tag in use here. This means I will be running StarFleet Command. From time to time the ship will get orders. I will have a situation prepared. I may ask some of the group to temporarily adopt some NPC role for the scenario to give it a personality other than mine.

I have NOT watched Picard, nor played Star Trek: Online. That said, I am NOT going to use anything from those as canon.

One mission I am considering is a trip to Andromeda. Jury is still out on that one.

Another story arc may be one of time travel. The USS Athena is equipped with a temporal shield. If history is altered, the ship will be shielded from the changes.

Edit: Clarification - My two characters mentioned above are NOT senior officers aboard the Soujourner - only on the Prometheus, which belongs to them.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Excellent. About to head into work. But I check in daily, if not more often, if anyone has questions. If we get a lot of questions, I will start an OOC thread to keep this one clean.

I am tentatively interested, though somewhat careful to throw myself in, as all my ST rps died pretty fast. I shall watch this to see how it's going and if it generates enough interest, I'll throw in my man.

I have found that pretty much all group RP's die fast - except maybe some casual. Star Trek RP's deserve better than casual. The problem is one of commitment. I have lost count of how many times someone signed up all excited - in between jobs or school activities, only to drop for the sake of work or school. Sure, real life comes first. But I wish people would take stock of their near future before leaving a group in a lurch.

That said, IF and WHEN we get 4-5 committed members that have chosen their roles, we can begin discussing the mission. I do NOT want to rush into this. If folks aren't patient enough for that then I don't expect them to be around long and we can do without them. I made a few suggestions for missions. However, I also have some very, very old material that I can edit to Star Trek standards. The general scenarios are great though and introduce some new species that are fun. I spent about 4 years running a very educated group in a Space Opera rpg long ago. (These were mostly military intelligence personnel at NSA - 8 members in daily games. I had a LOT more energy in those days.) But much of the campaign was like Star Trek: TOS in style, but in an Empire setting.

I have found that pretty much all group RP's die fast - except maybe some casual. Star Trek RP's deserve better than casual. The problem is one of commitment. I have lost count of how many times someone signed up all excited - in between jobs or school activities, only to drop for the sake of work or school. Sure, real life comes first. But I wish people would take stock of their near future before leaving a group in a lurch.

That said, IF and WHEN we get 4-5 committed members that have chosen their roles, we can begin discussing the mission. I do NOT want to rush into this. If folks aren't patient enough for that then I don't expect them to be around long and we can do without them. I made a few suggestions for missions. However, I also have some very, very old material that I can edit to Star Trek standards. The general scenarios are great though and introduce some new species that are fun. I spent about 4 years running a very educated group in a Space Opera rpg long ago. (These were mostly military intelligence personnel at NSA - 8 members in daily games. I had a LOT more energy in those days.) But much of the campaign was like Star Trek: TOS in style, but in an Empire setting.

I am now running a server to assure it won't die tbh. When I enter things, I'm there to stay, and it sends me into burn out when I see them crush my hopes. IF and WHEN we get 4-5 committed members, I'll bring in all the passion, but before then, i will not get my hopes up. :)

Every single one I've started has burnt out lol. I guess I just don't have any luck keeping people interested. And then sometimes I don't get any notifications from the site and have no idea people are waiting on me.

Every single one I've started has burnt out lol. I guess I just don't have any luck keeping people interested. And then sometimes I don't get any notifications from the site and have no idea people are waiting on me.
TBH that was one of the main things that made me disappear from your RP back when.
I remember there were no replies for a long time, so I was like... this is probably over. Then I checked back a month later and noticed I had been tagged twice since, but never got a single notification and since I thought it was dead, I hadn't been going there to see "what if". (Then my mother got cancer and I took a break from RPN. But the no notifications was the begging of the end for me :D)

Yeah made sense. I've been thinking about trying to start it back up but I don't even know where to begin except to skip a few years forward for a crew change. I'm just thinking I'll move some of my characters over here. Let the Freedom fly on somewhere else.

I am hoping this actually picks up steam and lifts off. I have the time and bandwidth (mentally) for an RP and I life the style y'all have and your characters.

how about you and RPs? I know you've had a burn out during our steampunk one...

Good question. Depends a bit on activity cadence, which I don't see mentioned anywhere. I still haven't scratched my Kimberly #49 itch (she's been in two games neither of which went the distance) but being a Mudd android from Galor IV probably means she's off the table...so I'd need to create a character from scratch. I'll see if inspiration strikes.

https://www.rpnation.com/watched/threads This is your friend. Notifications are a lie, but Watched Threads are always accurate.

Epiphany Epiphany If this was a Red Dwarf RP, that character would be ideal, lol. Most people don't know the origins of the Mudd androids. If memory serves they were created by a civilization from the Andromeda galaxy.

Yep.

Red Dwarf was a comedy series, if memory serves, while Kimberly was mostly played straight.

Yep, the Galor-system androids originally came from Andromeda. There's an interesting inconsistency in Star Trek sources that say they're either on the second planet of the Galor system or the fourth. Given the Daystrom Institute has an annex on Galor IV, it's always made sense to me to put the androids on the second planet with Starfleet on the fourth for security reasons (on both sides). It's anyone's guess what the androids actually do these days, given their creators are long since dead.

You're welcome to glance at Kimberly's sheet from Nuitari's Freedom RP if you're so inclined. No hard feelings if she's not your cup of tea, though.

In the meantime, hopefully another player or two will turn up!

Hmm ... I love the fact that the character has such a strong TOS relationship in the origin story. Never really liked that particular episode or the antiquated androids. Think about it; they were created by a race with the technology of intergalactic travel.

Anyways, I may actually make an exception for my rule about androids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back