• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Star Mage Academy OOC

On the flip side, if anyone wants to point out anything about my character, then feel free to do so. : D

Not really interested in nitpicking your character, although I would like to hear what you think of mine since you're handing out character appraisals ^,^

Well that's hardly the giving attitude that'll motivate me to do so. >:3

But I'm nice, so I'll say something. Your golem ability is interesting, but are there any size/complexity limits? Because I can totally see you creating some massive super golem from continuously combining all your tiny golems and then ruling the universe with it. And the whole "I can't control them sometimes" thing is stupid because if they are truly sentient then they will know they had to obey you or die. And if they don't realise that, then you can just resummon the golem until you find one that does realise this.

The marionette thing is fine, but the super strength seems a little disconnected. Why would your character need it given that he is a control/master type fighter? Something defensive like barrier construction or enhanced endurance/natural armour/super tough skin would have more synergy. Of course no character is perfect, so perhaps that's just his luck of the draw.

His personality is rather interesting given his skill set of controlling things. Nice guys who like to fight for the friends are weird if they use minions to fight for them, it's kinda contradicting. That's my thoughts on your character anyway, that'll be £4.99.

You are all here critiquing characters and I'm sitting here like, "Do I even wanna hear what people have to say about mine?"

Mine isn't that in depth >.<, I usually make short character sheets for development purposes. I'd like feedback however still.

The Fabulous Emerald The Fabulous Emerald can crush a rock within seconds as some large ass snake dragon thing, has a regenerative poison lightning sword, is incredibly fast and presumably very strong and durable, excretes paralysing toxins, can shoot thunderbolts and is extremely violent by nature.

I'd say we should just put you in a room with sprouhtt sprouhtt and see who's more op. : D

As for Souldymono Souldymono , yours is actually okay. But you power is not really light manipulation because you kinda convert the light into shadows. Darklight isn't really a thing, but you could just call it dark energy or shadow manipulation. That way you can convert the light to shadows/take the light away. Just from anlogic point of view, you seem balanced enough otherwise.

Well that's hardly the giving attitude that'll motivate me to do so. >:3

But I'm nice, so I'll say something. Your golem ability is interesting, but are there any size/complexity limits? Because I can totally see you creating some massive super golem from continuously combining all your tiny golems and then ruling the universe with it. And the whole "I can't control them sometimes" thing is stupid because if they are truly sentient then they will know they had to obey you or die. And if they don't realise that, then you can just resummon the golem until you find one that does realise this.

The marionette thing is fine, but the super strength seems a little disconnected. Why would your character need it given that he is a control/master type fighter? Something defensive like barrier construction or enhanced endurance/natural armour/super tough skin would have more synergy. Of course no character is perfect, so perhaps that's just his luck of the draw.

His personality is rather interesting given his skill set of controlling things. Nice guys who like to fight for the friends are weird if they use minions to fight for them, it's kinda contradicting. That's my thoughts on your character anyway, that'll be £4.99.
Eek, I only have USD! Although, it was worth it to see an outsider's opinion ^,^

Don't worry, all the things you mentioned I have plans for ;) I'm a professional writer, so have a bit of faith.

Oh, I feel like this is worth commenting on though, to prevent misunderstandings. His strength doesn't qualify as super, and it was a random roll off a table. How it works is that he has the same amount of muscle mass as a normal male - it's just the density that's changed. Meaning his punch is going to have the same amount of force, just exerted over a smaller area and thus the force is more focused.

Ah yes, that power is quite hard to explain, I was going for the theme of corrupted priest/paladin but didn't want shadow magic cause that's boring to me. The magic is a new concept he made himself, because of his sadistic personality. Its hard to explain sorry!

also, Kloudy Kloudy , i love how you complain about everyone when your character has the ability to atomize everything. so, you know what they say - 'practice your preach or change your speech'.

seriously, your character can atomize anything he touches, telekinetically move blades with his mind, become a black hole/nuke mixture of some sort AND appears to be pretty perfect in every other situation as well. seems waaaay more OP than anything anyone else here can come up with.

I've skimmed/sorta looked through each person's CS
I'm going to consult with Aki once we've gotten home from our jobs.
(Or if he's online while I'm on break)

However sprouhtt sprouhtt , your character seems like a pseudo-goddess and I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that. It'll be taken into consideration.

seriously, your character can atomize anything he touches, telekinetically move blades with his mind, become a black hole/nuke mixture of some sort AND appears to be pretty perfect in every other situation as well. seems waaaay more OP than anything anyone else here can come up with.

I never claimed not to be hypocritical.

The atomisation only works on touch and it only atomises things he touches. Just keep your distance and you're fine. Shoot him with your lightning bolt and he's toast if he gets hit.

The blades are simply just sharpened metal, if you turn into your insanely massive snake form then it will do next to nothing to you. My weapon is hardly op when used in tandem with my abilities if compared to your sword that has lightning, poisoning and regenerative properties.

The "black hole" move (which is totally not a nuke) has a range of like 10m, so again just keep your distance and wait for it to be over. It's also incredibly draining, so he won't be spamming it.

My character is not perfect. He's about the average as humans come in terms physicality, your guy is a giant snake dragon thing. My guy finds it really hard to work with people and cannot lead a group by himself. He is incredibly grating against other people given husband personality. He's not even a swordsmaster, and I could have easily made him so.

The point I'm making here is sure my guy is somewhat powerful, but he's nothing that could potentially destroy the academy or take on literally anyone anytime anyplace, like some people. :3

also, Kloudy Kloudy , i love how you complain about everyone when your character has the ability to atomize everything. so, you know what they say - 'practice your preach or change your speech'.

I haven't complained about everyone. I informed someone that their character may break the rules of the roleplay in terms of op characters and then everyone started asking me for my opinion on theirs. I have no personal problems with any of the characters.
well, ultimately it isnt up to anyone to decide except Nico Nico and Akihito Akihito
I have stated that numerous times.

I've skimmed/sorta looked through each person's CS
I'm going to consult with Aki once we've gotten home from our jobs.
(Or if he's online while I'm on break)

However sprouhtt sprouhtt , your character seems like a pseudo-goddess and I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that. It'll be taken into consideration.

Okay, sounds good. Just tell me what I have to fix and I'll do it.

Here's what I do when I make characters to balance them out, I think to myself, 'If I were making a boss for a video game, how would I make it so that it would be tough to beat but has weaknesses and flaws to balance them out'

I do that then I pick a set of skills and powers and build them up around that. As I go along I re-read the skills for ways I can improve them. Once I finish it, I revise it once more to see what I can do to further improve the balance. Ofcourse, this stands to reason that not all characters need to be super weak, because when it comes down to it, it's the roleplayer who decides how to roleplay their character.

At the end of the day, it comes down to trust, however, that is to say that some skills considered OP are OP no matter how you should roleplay them out. Take for example Teva's Firestorm ability, It gets stronger based on her anger, so if she were extremely pissed, like if someone hurt a friend close to her, the skill would be completely impervious to attacks but at the cost of high energy depletion. However, the other side of the coin says that the skill is entirely weak when she is calm. That's my way of balancing skills to be both OP and flawed.

I'm not taking sides, I'm just giving my input on the matter. I've GMed far too many RPs (Be it they were unsuccessful sometimes) so I have some idea what to look for and expect.

Kloudy Kloudy Y'know, technically, your character can easily kill people. When you atomize someone, that breaks their bodies down into the atoms that make it up. You're ripping apart all their organic systems, vital organs, parts that make up their mental personalities; basically that kills them. XD But since this is fiction, that's hardly an issue. Got no problems with you character or his powers, just felt like you needed to know. lol

I honestly just feel uncomfortable that logical discussions and opinionated evaluations of characters went downhill in an argument. An argument is so easily avoided, you only need one of the two sides to say "nope, not doing this today." You don't even need both sides to decide to get involved, you only need one :/

Kloudy Kloudy Y'know, technically, your character can easily kill people. When you atomize someone, that breaks their bodies down into the atoms that make it up. You're ripping apart all their organic systems, vital organs, parts that make up their mental personalities; basically that kills them. XD But since this is fiction, that's hardly an issue. Got no problems with you character or his powers, just felt like you needed to know. lol
Realistically, if you de-atomise ANYTHING, you basically destroy it. You can;t put something back together after you tear apart the atoms.

I'm a professional writer. I do this BSing for a living, and then I have to BS the characters OUT of that BS to make sure that the story doesn't end early XD
I prefer the stories where the MC's get their asses kicked and aren't totally immortal to everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back