• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Star Chronicles: A New Light [Sci-Fi, Open]

Idk what the direct comparison would be, a little bit T’au, a little Japanese, a little bit Tribal, a little bit Roman Empire...

Shoot shoot pew pew, incorporate convenient species into the commonwealth, bank the resources for the future!

You sound like competition.

add me to the list of people who will take the Discord link please.

still fiddling with my nation application, it keeps getting deeper and deeper... hopefully I’m not the only one with this problem! 😂
I just gave up at some point and decided to do a short app and throw everything else into a lore document xD

I posted a very WIP version of my app in the sheets thread, and for those interested in the broad strokes already established for Earth's history or humans in general, you can check the history there!

I posted a very WIP version of my app in the sheets thread, and for those interested in the broad strokes already established for Earth's history or humans in general, you can check the history there!
so after reading the post, I have some questions.
Could you explain what Waveforce shields are? and also do I need to re-write the Gravity Drive on the Lupinara? It is similar to a ShockJump Drive. but I'm not sure what specifically constitute the Jump drive that may or may not make it different that what I got on the Lupinara

Could you explain what Waveforce shields are? and also do I need to re-write the Gravity Drive on the Lupinara? It is similar to a ShockJump Drive. but I'm not sure what specifically constitute the Jump drive that may or may not make it different that what I got on the Lupinara

I haven’t read up yet, but I’d say you don’t need to change the name of the drive. Just be they work using the same theoretical principle doesn’t mean they are necessarily the same thing, and even within a race or nation you might get multiple names for similar devices depending on the development path (even as simple as excuse as “band name” solves it)

You sound like competition.

meh, probably only if you really encroach on their established territory claims. The Tel’tsu are in a state of relative relative non-aggression as far as their stance on other sentient nations.

not that that couldn’t change.

Sure, I was planning to add a description to the app anyway, it's still a work in progress. At their core, Waveforce shields are just shields, just that instead of trying to repel the force of whatever it attacks it, it instead absorbs it.

As for the Gravity Drive, you don't need to rewrite it. There would most certainly be many variaties of even the same core technology, and many various types of FTL tech. I have a description for it too, but the ShockJump drives are basically mostly based on the FTL drives from Battlestar Galactica.

Waveforce Shield

The Waveforce Shield is an experimental shield technology currently being developed by the Research Division for the Advancement of the War Effort. The radically different defensive capabilities of the Waveforce Shield come from the Klein field it deploys. Essentially, it creates a dimensional fold topologically similar to the Klein bottle around a vessel. Whenever a direct attack touches the edge of this Klein field, the energy of this attack is siphoned in the dimensional fold. However, the absorbing capacity of this dimensional fold is not unlimited, and the Waveforce Shield will reach saturation and collapse if it absorbs a great enough number of attacks. The saturation point of the Klein field depends on two factors, the computational processing power of the ship, and because of the stress that the computer systems of the ship have to endure, the energy output of the ship's reactors, needed to keep the computers ongoing. If the ship has a powerful processing power, than it can use both offensive weaponry and defensive Klein field in tandem with efficiency, while ships with limited processing powers will only be able to use one.

The technology behind Colonial FTL systems is such that, providing the relevant data is known, ships can jump with a high degree of accuracy, allowing ships to rendezvous in space and even "park" in a synchronous orbit directly above a given point on a planet's surface. Advanced FTL drives even enable ships to arrive in crowded areas, such as the middle of an asteroid field or other ships, without the risk of collision and damage.The drives are based on the use of Superstring Theory and M-Theory that essentially enable the "jump drive" systems to "fold" space, reducing the distance between any two points by creating a "corridor" through space that links them together. The ability to process that data is dependent from the computing capacity of the ship using it. At least in theory, the Colonial FTL drives should not have any range limits, but the capacity of the computers limits it considerably. Even the most advanced Acruani AI's would stop at a certain point, where the calculation involving the data contains too many errors. Practically speaking the further one attempts to Jump, the calculations involved become more complicated, and the variables that have to be taken into equation increase. All computer systems known will stop at a certain time, where the number of errors is too high for the jump to be considered safe, that is the so called Red Line, an an imaginary sphere enclosing a vessel which denotes the maximum safe limit for an FTL jump.

"Spooling up" a Colonial FTL drive takes some time when the drive has been offline, although the advancements of the recent years have considerably reduced it. Even so, because of this, when ships enter dangerous situations, they keep their FTL drives "spun up". Drives cannot be kept spun up indefinitely, as system crashes or serious damage to the drive will occur. A "cooldown" time is required after a jump for new jump calculations, so a ship that has jumped into a new location cannot jump to another location for a brief period of time.

Sure, I was planning to add a description to the app anyway, it's still a work in progress. At their core, Waveforce shields are just shields, just that instead of trying to repel the force of whatever it attacks it, it instead absorbs it.

As for the Gravity Drive, you don't need to rewrite it. There would most certainly be many variaties of even the same core technology, and many various types of FTL tech. I have a description for it too, but the ShockJump drives are basically mostly based on the FTL drives from Battlestar Galactica.

Waveforce Shield

The Waveforce Shield is an experimental shield technology currently being developed by the Research Division for the Advancement of the War Effort. The radically different defensive capabilities of the Waveforce Shield come from the Klein field it deploys. Essentially, it creates a dimensional fold topologically similar to the Klein bottle around a vessel. Whenever a direct attack touches the edge of this Klein field, the energy of this attack is siphoned in the dimensional fold. However, the absorbing capacity of this dimensional fold is not unlimited, and the Waveforce Shield will reach saturation and collapse if it absorbs a great enough number of attacks. The saturation point of the Klein field depends on two factors, the computational processing power of the ship, and because of the stress that the computer systems of the ship have to endure, the energy output of the ship's reactors, needed to keep the computers ongoing. If the ship has a powerful processing power, than it can use both offensive weaponry and defensive Klein field in tandem with efficiency, while ships with limited processing powers will only be able to use one.

The technology behind Colonial FTL systems is such that, providing the relevant data is known, ships can jump with a high degree of accuracy, allowing ships to rendezvous in space and even "park" in a synchronous orbit directly above a given point on a planet's surface. Advanced FTL drives even enable ships to arrive in crowded areas, such as the middle of an asteroid field or other ships, without the risk of collision and damage.The drives are based on the use of Superstring Theory and M-Theory that essentially enable the "jump drive" systems to "fold" space, reducing the distance between any two points by creating a "corridor" through space that links them together. The ability to process that data is dependent from the computing capacity of the ship using it. At least in theory, the Colonial FTL drives should not have any range limits, but the capacity of the computers limits it considerably. Even the most advanced Acruani AI's would stop at a certain point, where the calculation involving the data contains too many errors. Practically speaking the further one attempts to Jump, the calculations involved become more complicated, and the variables that have to be taken into equation increase. All computer systems known will stop at a certain time, where the number of errors is too high for the jump to be considered safe, that is the so called Red Line, an an imaginary sphere enclosing a vessel which denotes the maximum safe limit for an FTL jump.

"Spooling up" a Colonial FTL drive takes some time when the drive has been offline, although the advancements of the recent years have considerably reduced it. Even so, because of this, when ships enter dangerous situations, they keep their FTL drives "spun up". Drives cannot be kept spun up indefinitely, as system crashes or serious damage to the drive will occur. A "cooldown" time is required after a jump for new jump calculations, so a ship that has jumped into a new location cannot jump to another location for a brief period of time.
awesome. and the only reason I was asking if I needed more definition was so that there would be no ambiguity later on in IC narrative. I find that the more gizmos are defined as to their parameters, the less meta-gaming and backpedaling occur. So i just wanted to make sure what I had laid out was sufficient for the required explanation.

Thrace Thrace
I suppose I should ask for a link to the Discord as well, considering how much time I've spent looking for Alien Species concepts so far.

Thrace Thrace
I suppose I should ask for a link to the Discord as well, considering how much time I've spent looking for Alien Species concepts so far.
Sent you a message with it!
And for everyone else who might be interested in it, it's also linked in the OOC thread now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back