• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy SSAWTMTTTI OOC

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
I'm finally able to come back online. I'm sorry if my post isn't as good, I did it while multitasking on other stuff. xD

StrayTheCat StrayTheCat
Only problem I see is that due to weather conditions, Zharkov herself was speaking so she could use magic to make sure people understood her over the wind. Her gesturing through the homunculus was her way of compromising.

StrayTheCat StrayTheCat
Only problem I see is that due to weather conditions, Zharkov herself was speaking so she could use magic to make sure people understood her over the wind. Her gesturing through the homunculus was her way of compromising.

I think I fixed it, if I didn't edit it the way it should have been then I'll keep trying until I succeed \(*^*)/

Also, thanks for pointing out my mistake on that!

So uh, IDK about everyone else but I'm waiting for things to move a little before posting again given my guy just cratered.

Rather than asking everyone individually or stalking your profiles, I'm gonna do a sort of survey so I can understand as a co-gm what everyone likes the most in an RP.

Whenever you have time, could you post these in the order of which you care the most about in the generalist way possible: Story Development(The main plots and subplots), Character Development(Character arcs and character interactions), Tone(the over all mood of the RP, like comedic/serious or light-hearted/edgy-dark), and World Development(Stuff that explores and shows or changes the world of the RP).

This isn't required and if you don't feel like doing it then I get it. I'm just putting this up for anyone who wants to, and if you want to PM me any details then that's cool too.

StrayTheCat StrayTheCat
Tone - You can't make a worthwhile character if you don't know what the overall feel of the roleplay is. Imagine if I made Hildebrand in a super lighthearted game where no one is expected to get hurt.
World Development - Gotta know where your character is from to know what they would become.
Character Development - Imagine how boring things would be if someone's character refused to ever change when things happened to/around them.
Story Development - Strong characters can carry a weak overarching story, but a strong story with weak characters is dragged down by them.

However, all four are needed if you really want things to go anywhere. Also I'd advise you against taking the role of co-GM when we don't really have a GM to begin with.

StrayTheCat StrayTheCat
Well, you know, good games kinda need literally all of that. Plots and subplots need to happen to give characters an objective to work towards, something to do that isn't just faffing about with eachother. Actual character interaction is key to these things, though, because otherwise everyone is just in their own little corner trying to be awesome at no one, which is practically a writing equivalent of masturbation. Any work needs a consistent tone appropiate to the storytelling goals, that's just common sense, and world development should be naturally happening as a result of the player's actions (and sometimes world aspects that they help introduce) because otherwise nothing they do really means much.

StrayTheCat StrayTheCat

I think the simplest solution is addressing the main flaw of this RP first. Looking back, what Gaius Danius Griinia Gaius Danius Griinia wanted a vehicle for his cool PCs and their cool drama with everyone else as supporting roles. Naturally no one engages in it willingly and people complain about the spotlight hogging. After all, why would random people on the internet would want to rp in roles subservient to the GM's characters who's also a stranger? Anyway, when confronted with this all does is post evasive inane responses and really nothing. You saw how Stormageddon was supposed to be our next "thing" was completely and anticlimactically ended with all the sad wheezing of a deflating balloon with nothing for us to do, but he did do something with GMPCs.

Anyway this is a roundabout way of saying we really don't have any of the above due to non-existing GMIng, and any of the above happening in spite of that. All are pretty important to doing an action-adventure type RP.

On a related note you sure this isn't more of like GMin/taking over at this point? Cuz again, it's nonexistent , we're just reacting in a bubble to stuff that's happening around us.

Last edited:
StrayTheCat StrayTheCat
I won't place any of those four in an order above each other, for one because you can't. And secondly because I haven't quite seen any real attempt by our OP to create a meaningful mesh of all four, maybe some a bit more focused than others, which is necessary. These are things that cannot be separated and I'll explain with a simple analogy. It is like the human body. You can't just remove say, the circulatory system, and expect the respiratory system to function fine without it.

What we have right now is a semi-functional haphazard that is only chugging along due to player activity. However I feel that got the wind sucked out of it after the anti-climatic result of 'Stormaggedon'; as it yet again didn't let any player a real or meaningful chance to shine. It was over far too quickly and didn't have any place to breathe and allow players decisions to resonate and lead to anything but 'it just left after whining a bit.' Right now, and what we have been doing, is bumbling around like Mister Magoo in an attempt to find something to do that is fun.

And I don't see that changing any time soon.

KnightOfNight KnightOfNight Zerohex Zerohex Ixacise Ixacise Freshet Freshet Thanks for replying back to me and I'm happy to see that everyone pretty much agrees that you cannot simply just talk about one as though it can survive without the rest.

I want everyone to know that while I stated myself as a "Co-GM" just then, I'm not really going to be a legit one. I'm more going to just help get everything that everyone thinks in order, bring any problems up in GM chat, and discuss both in there as well as here on how to fix those problems as well as anything else that needs to be brought up.

I know and am aware of the fact that as the RP as been going on, there has been a growing gap between what everyone expects and what happens, and that is something which I honestly want to fix. Which is what leads me to the next thing I want to bring up:

Expansions. Basically instead of just one person having to come up with new stuff for the RP, we are talking about doing a sort of majority vote system. You guys can post any ideas for what kind of plots and/or events might be cool or interesting, and after discussing it in GM chat, we'll put up a poll with everyone to vote for the next expansion. Once everyone or almost everyone is done voting, whichever expansion option gets the most votes will be implemented, and the others will either be saved for the next poll or ironed out more so that they can be as good as they should be.

This isn't to say that you can't do your own plots and stuff in the RP, this system is just to better implement something to move the main RP along and help create with everyone an ever-evolving world that changes with how those in it.

If I sound obnoxious just then, I'm really sorry xD Also if I said anything that didn't address or sounded dumb, just say so and I'll try my best to fix it.

StrayTheCat StrayTheCat
Honestly you're trying more than he is.

Gaius Danius Griinia Gaius Danius Griinia
It was "just a random cluster of Venti" why couldn't everyone have their moment in helping to take it down?
I wanted to portray the Ventus as a collection of intelligent creatures that knew when they were losing and escaped accordingly
I did not mean to deprive people the joy of overcoming a large cloud monster
However this incident was due to my inability to figure out how to write from the perspective of a giant monster
I honestly had no idea where I could go with the Ventus
I mainly had that Ventus attack to show that they had existed and they could do SOME damage

"I wanted to portray the Ventus as a collection of intelligent creatures that knew when they were losing and escaped accordingly "
Like when it kept attacking your legion that was the absolute worst in the empire despite actually being the best and getting knocked down over and over because of it?
"I did not mean to deprive people the joy of overcoming a large cloud monster "
But you did and you ignored that when it was brought up by everyone.
"However this incident was due to my inability to figure out how to write from the perspective of a giant monster "
Stick with what you know.
"I honestly had no idea where I could go with the Ventus "
Then don't introduce it.
"I mainly had that Ventus attack to show that they had existed and they could do SOME damage "
But it really didn't, it was baffled by the idea of magic shields and kept falling over.

Yeah I have no idea how to GM
Kind of why I have two Co-GM's
I kind of just made this RP because I wanted more freedom to punch mobs of enemies in the face without someone telling me that "You can't beat the minotaur to death with a sack of kittens"
I'm not very good at location details... that's why I use pictures
Also I don't know how people interact
Which is why I'm bad at writing interaction...

Yeah I have no idea how to GM
Kind of why I have two Co-GM's
I kind of just made this RP because I wanted more freedom to punch mobs of enemies in the face without someone telling me that "You can't beat the minotaur to death with a sack of kittens"
I'm not very good at location details... that's why I use pictures
Also I don't know how people interact
Which is why I'm bad at writing interaction...
My dude, all you had to do was just admit this from the start. Everything you said here has been incredibly obvious since the start and multiple people have tried helping you time and time again and you'd always just say "that's a good idea" and then immediately forget what happened. I really don't care if you want to be a super special awesome badass among badasses, I just want to see everyone get the same chance if they want it. However you seem to act like anyone else getting the spotlight takes away from your character from being cool.

Going off of what Knight said, sharing the spotlight and letting people be able to dare to be badass is really important. It isn't something to hog, other people can easily share the spotlight doing cool things.

I'll use Trinity as an example here. She's done some neat things with her drill hand, but she also has had to rely on the help of others during the times she has begun falling horribly. This action helps let others get to do some things; they save the girl, she thanks them greatly and appreciates it.

StrayTheCat StrayTheCat Right so, first off, yes, this is obnoxious. Everything you're doing is incredibly obnoxious and makes you come off as, frankly, kind of scummy. To begin with, you are in no way qualified to just waltz in and declare you can do this better when you, yourself, have admitted to not reading the RP past page 2 which is the entire reason everyone has been upset with Dan to begin with. Secondly trying to decide on enforced storylines- sorry, "Expansions"- when everyone is already pretty much making their own fun and had said fun repeatedly fucked sideways by dumb GM "events" wouldn't solve the problem; if anything, it actively adds fuel to the fire. The same goes for deciding on how the setting functions: A bunch of people, me included, have made a big point to flesh out small but important setting details naturally via IC posts; for example, Zerohex Zerohex making a point to write out how events effect the troop morale or, and this is important, the series of hospital scenes I wrote, establishing that medicine is primitive and healing magic is rare and resurrection magic is legendary-tier impossible because it's like the only way to write drama out of freeform.

And then your character came in and shit all over that while adding very little yourself good job yes I am genuinely angry over this and do not trust you as far as I can throw you to actually keep consistent lore. All you've done is bitch and moan about how the IC makes no sense and signal that "hey guess what I read character sheets". So does everyone else, genius, we just don't need to rub it in people's faces.

Finally, this entire thing feels like a power play to try and snatch the game out from under Dan while he's busy and/or flustered. While he and I don't really see eye to eye on a lot of things, that comes off as incredibly scummy and even if it's not intentional it comes off as you trying to essentially usurp him as GM which is a tremendous breach of etiquette.

Gaius Danius Griinia Gaius Danius Griinia righty then, well, saying this from the start would have been a good step.
GMing is a pretty intensive part of a game to do right, no two ways around it. You're telling a story with but also for other people, you need to lay down a world and other characters and paths for people to interact with while at the same time accomodating the players, letting them do the things they want to do and give those things tangible effects, you have to roll with and adapt to what they do. It's difficult and it's, ideally, not a position you take to glorify your own characters because then you render the other players secondary and no one likes that. If it's happened to you, then you know how bad it is when you can't actually do anything you'd like to do.

It's not about being bad or good at these things so much as making the effort to change them and take them into account. Instead of just using a picture of a place, think of where it is in the world you want to lay down, what is it connected to, how far away is it from other things, why is it significant. Location and distance are important portions of real life, aren't they? A lot of the times, just asking yourself questions about the stuff you're writing leads to excellent development if you actually work to answer them, then the picture becomes a bonus to your writing.

Character interactions is iffy, but my honest advice would be to take less inspiration from bogstandard, popular anime and manga. Read more good books, watch more good movies, hell just go outside and watch people interact when you're in the bus or whatever, you'll see just how bad a lot of anime interaction is and how it uses poor writing to justify itself in an attempt to add drama or look cool. You don't need to do that, sometimes just asking yourself "okay but how would people take this?" helps. Would you be okay if your leader dragged you to fight a dangerous creature then carelessly friendly-fired out of the blue to try and get the kill credit? Probably not.

If you shove all responsibility on co-GMs, who btw don't even seem particularly into being official co-GMs, then they are effectively the GMs rather than just helping. By the same token, if the GM doesn't have anything planned and doesn't share the plans and plots and ways to go about developing the game world with the co-GMs then the co-GMs have nothing to work with. They're effectively left to either do everything themselves or do nothing effectively, the first is doing everything for you and the second makes them meaningless.

Do you understand these things?

Yeah oka
StrayTheCat StrayTheCat Right so, first off, yes, this is obnoxious. Everything you're doing is incredibly obnoxious and makes you come off as, frankly, kind of scummy. To begin with, you are in no way qualified to just waltz in and declare you can do this better when you, yourself, have admitted to not reading the RP past page 2 which is the entire reason everyone has been upset with Dan to begin with. Secondly trying to decide on enforced storylines- sorry, "Expansions"- when everyone is already pretty much making their own fun and had said fun repeatedly fucked sideways by dumb GM "events" wouldn't solve the problem; if anything, it actively adds fuel to the fire. The same goes for deciding on how the setting functions: A bunch of people, me included, have made a big point to flesh out small but important setting details naturally via IC posts; for example, Zerohex Zerohex making a point to write out how events effect the troop morale or, and this is important, the series of hospital scenes I wrote, establishing that medicine is primitive and healing magic is rare and resurrection magic is legendary-tier impossible because it's like the only way to write drama out of freeform.

And then your character came in and shit all over that while adding very little yourself good job yes I am genuinely angry over this and do not trust you as far as I can throw you to actually keep consistent lore. All you've done is bitch and moan about how the IC makes no sense and signal that "hey guess what I read character sheets". So does everyone else, genius, we just don't need to rub it in people's faces.

Finally, this entire thing feels like a power play to try and snatch the game out from under Dan while he's busy and/or flustered. While he and I don't really see eye to eye on a lot of things, that comes off as incredibly scummy and even if it's not intentional it comes off as you trying to essentially usurp him as GM which is a tremendous breach of etiquette.
Aint-No-Sandwich-When-Shes-Gone-Funny-Woman-Meme-Image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back