Squad 6 IC

Thanks For Listening
Aiko & Mai

Mai grunted as she walked. She really didn’t want to do this. Still, her options were Aiko or Takara. Aiko was kind and understanding, right? She was also the strongest in their team for Genjutsu. As far as everyone knew, Mai was as bad as Hideki, but that waaaasn’t quite true. Mai had been working on it in secret for quite some time. She never had to use it on an opponent in a fight, hers all focused on herself, so no need to let anyone know…. Except lately she’d had some real struggles. Her Freedom of Movement genjutsu was almost complete, but, well… she’d exhausted herself trying. Time to ask someone better.

Knocking on the door to her teammates house, Mai hoped it didn’t sound too awkwardly. Mai had to use her wrists rather than knuckles so it just sounded like she was hitting it.

Would Aiko even believe she was working on an A-rank genjutsu? Or that Mai had any talent there. It must come so naturally to Aiko, sharingan and all that.

“Hey, Aiko, you there?”

It took awhile for Aiko to answer the door. She hadn’t been busy doing anything, but upon hearing the knock at the door, her sharingan activated to get a read on who was at the door, and that it wasn’t some kind of trap. But, the chakra at the door was pretty familiar. Annoying, but familiar.

After fixing herself up a little bit, Aiko finally answered the door.

“What do you want?”

Mai took a deep breath.

“I need help with a jutsu, and I need you specifically for it. There a time I can borrow you?”

Aiko didn’t answer. Mai hardly ever asked for help. What was so important that she felt the need for her now? Besides that, Mai always seemed to have dangerous ninjutsu. She didn’t want to be involved in anything that could potentially blow her up.

Then again, Aiko couldn’t just leave her friend hanging.

After almost a whole minute of internal debate, Aiko responded. “Fine. Right now then.”

“WOOHOO!” Mai exclaimed jumping in the air.

“Well, uh… DON’T tell Takara I’m working on this…. Or Hideki. I like’em thinking I’m dumb. Anyways, can I come in to talk ‘bout it. I’m trying my hand at genjutsu. Need just a lil’ bit of help. Hope you can help me go over it.”

Nodding, Aiko moved and held the door open for Mai. “Don’t blame me if you catch a cold then… wait, why do you want them to think you’re dumb?”

As usual, Aiko’s home was cold. Today it felt like the inside of a refrigerator. A big fur coat hung on a hook on the wall. Aiko grabbed it and tossed it to Mai.

Mai happily grabbed it. She hated the cold, buuut it was a good friend, she’d hate to insult her.

“Well, cause one of these days they’re going to recognize me, and I don’t want it to be because I picked up a talent others consider ‘smart’. I want it to be for what I do. So yeah.

Anyways, uh… Well… guess I’ll get started. I’m working on a jutsu called Freedom of Movement, its a bit difficult. Its a genjutsu on myself. When I use it, it lets me control my nerves rather than my brain. Means I can move my hands and paralysis doesn’t work. Problem I’m having is it misfires sometimes. Doesn’t always work when I whistle. Been working on it for a looong time, if I had to rank it, I’d say maybe… A? You got a sharingan, maybe you can tell me what I’m doing wrong? Mind turning it on? Maybe in return I can help you with a jutsu. I know Takara’s probably a better person to do genjutsu with, but, well… I’m not bad at it per say. You want to try anything I’m game. What jutsu are you working on? Oh wait, asked you to help, sorry! Let’s go!”

Sitting down, Mai took a deep breath, then let out a loud reverberating whistle. She lifted up her hand and started trying to move her fingers. Nothing happened.

“An A-Rank jutsu you cast on yourself… not exactly my specialty but I’m sure I can at least point you in the right direction.”

Aiko found it hard to believe that Mai was suddenly going to come up with an A-Rank genjutsu out of the blue. Hell, Aiko hadn’t seen her even mention genjutsu more than a couple times before today. But if she insisted she was good at it, she’d have to see for herself.

Aiko activated her sharingan, the warm red eyes gazing down at the chakra that flowed through Mai’s hands. It was uneven and choppy. It reminded Aiko of herself about a year ago. Hell, it was her current problem now. At least she’d be able to give Mai some tips.

“Well, I can tell that your chakra control is garbage.”

Mai rubbed the back of her head, her chakra quickly depleting.

“Yeah… comes with years of avoiding jutsu, but I need this one so I guess I’ll work on that. Think I’m going to stick with genjutsu targeting the self, seems I need a lot of it. Next I’m working on some genjutsu to try and control myself a bit more. Emotional genjutsu I guess. Kinda hurts flying into a bloodrage mid combat. I, uh… learned some things when Daisuke kidnapped me. If I ever kill a bastard... Speaking of which, how are you holding up?”

“Ugh, don’t remind me. I’m fine. Sometimes I get cold enough to make myself shiver, but it’s off and on. At the very least, I can turn this cold aura into a pretty solid defense.” Aiko sighed, and plopped herself down in a chair. “Anyway, I’d say you should practice a simpler genjutsu yourself. Getting used to the feeling of it will make this ‘A-Rank’ jutsu of yours go much smoother I’d say.”

Even though it sounded like Aiko might know what she was talking about it, she was more or less taking what her father told her about her own chakra control.

Mai nodded.

“Sorry for asking. Well, let me know if you ever need to practice that ‘solid defense’. Or anything taijutsu related. Might not know much, but I got taijutsu nailed down pretty good. And yeah… I guess I should start simpler. Just didn’t want to ask Takara-sensei. That, and gotta learn a few more anyways… Hey, Aiko, you ever figure out why Daisuke took me too?”

Mai’s question made Aiko’s brow raise. It never did really occur to Aiko that Mai had been the odd one out of those Daisuke had captured. The Sanada were apart of a pretty big clan compared to some. But if he was looking for kekkei genkai, then wouldn’t that be the wrong clan to harass?

“Well, he must’ve thought he’d have a fun time experimenting on you. Maybe he wanted to try and give some special abilities or something. I hear he did that to some people…” Aiko paused, and rubbed her forehead. “or, he thinks you already have something special in you, besides stupidity.”

“Hey, my stupidity is my own brand!” Mai tried to laugh, but it didn’t last long for an awkward silence. “Yeah… clan doesn’t know I know, but apparently we do got one. When we get in danger, we get a crapton of chemicals in us. I ain’t a doctor like my Mom, so I don’t know it too much, but it's kinda like a high. Makes everything slow down, and well… You see how I get when things get fun. It’s why I’m going after genjutsu honestly. If I can control other people with it, means I can control myself, right? Yeah, the high is fun, but I don’t want to accidentally hurt someone again. He made me fight, and well… it didn’t go too well.

But anyways, enough of the dark stuff, just figured I had to tell SOMEBODY. But you helped me out with a tech, let me help you. Anything your working on, anything at all? ”

“Oh… I guess that explains a lot then. You’re gonna have to ask them about this ability eventually if you want to know what you’re dealing with. The only reason I’m good with ice is because my dad taught me just about everything.”

A devilish smile appeared on Aiko’s face. “There is a new jutsu of mine I need to try out. I’ll need you to help me out with demonstrating it though.”

Aiko hopped out of her chair, and headed to the door, heading outside.

Mai returned the smile. If she knew Aiko… and if she knew that smile… Hideki was in for a bad time whatever the ‘jutsu’ was. Or some other hapless person. Maybe it was Mai. Oh well, sounded like fun! She followed closely.

Outside, Aiko turned to face Mai. She formed a series of handsigns, and the temperature began to return to normal. “Here’s the deal. If you can hit me even one time, I’ll convince mole boy I’m in love with him! But if you can’t, then that’ll be your job.”

It was a risky proposal, but nothing made a ninja better like life or death situations.

Mai smiled. There waaas something she’d been working on with Takara…. Mai crossed her arms, the air starting to shake as her muscles bulged.

Another Eventful Valentines

It was a normal day in the Sanada household. Normal as a clan of berserks and artisans could be, who was more violent was up for debate. At the moment though, the artisans were making a great argument for themselves, someone had defaced the Hokage Monument, and the entire clan was on eggshells.

And so, Yukishide, father of Mai, and potential candidate for next clan head found himself not willing to try to spar. Walking down his own section of the great house, he stopped suddenly nearly as fast as his heart at the sight in the kitchen.

“Is that-?!”

Suddenly his muscles locked up and he couldn’t even speak. It was a terrible bind, one he recognized. He could feel evil behind him, even before he was literally dragged off.

Nohime quickly undid the paralysis, and he let out a held breath.

“What the hell? Was that Mai in the kitchen? BAKING what’s more!? What’s going on?”

“I don’t know, but I’m not going to let you ruin it by surprising her. You know how jumpy she gets.”

Yukishide rubbed his jaw, remembering when she’d broken it. “Yeah… I do. Does it even look edible? What is she making anyways.”

“Oh #$@@ no. And chocolate. I’m trashing it as soon as she’s done and replacing it with something edible. I think I saw her with dishsoap and jerky earlier.”

Yukishide just blinked.

“Come on, not like you cook any better. She’s inherited most of her talents from you. Still remember a certain someone moping they didn’t have a son, so there was no way someone would be strong enough to compete for title of clan head.”

“We could try again you know…”

Nohime raised an eyebrow and sighed.

“You’re an @$#@’ing idiot sometimes, Yukishide… but that’s what I love about you. Put the pieces together yet?

“She’s making chocolate, so what?”

“What day is it…?”

A solid minute passed by before he jumped. “Sonnuva a bitch… Who’s the boy?”

“If I had to guess….”

====================

Mai’s heart pounded as she paced outside of Hideki’s place. At this point she was occasionally subconsciously throwing in a body flicker, her pacing making a literal line in the street.

“Damnit, Aiko! Damnit,damnit,damnit!”

What was the worse that could happen? It was just a stupid bet… right? Right…? Mai hadn’t even been in the village much she’d been working herself so hard. Maybe someone else had given Hideki chocolate.

Mai had heard when other people were afraid, the best thing was just to jump headfirst into it. Like that time she’d thrown Aiko off a waterfall. It was much better than preparing yourself for it.

A knock sounded at Hideki’s door.

Hideki wasn’t head out doors, god knows this day was going to come again and after the shit show that was white day last year he didn’t know what to fully do.. He had to leave sometime, sure, he was about to finally realize this and leave…

But that was just before Mai came.

Mai was outside his door, and she looked positively… Well he didn’t know what to call this.

Was she here to punch him for last time? He outright had to leave town last white day for a month so he didn’t die. What should he do! Shes making a god damn rut in the road outside his damn place the way shes going!

...Wait… why hasn’t she seen him watching her from the window? “Fuck.. Wait.. did I lock the door?’ the young man questioned before he clasped a hand over his mouth… Fuck.. can’t Mai hear super well?

The young man started to slowly make his way to the door to check the lock..

Some say the longest times aren’t measured in hours, but in heartbeats. What was taking so long? Mai wanted to check if he was in, but for some reason she couldn’t hear too well (Her enhanced hearing and an explosive heartbeat apparently could be an awful combination.)

It was alright. Maybe he wasn’t there? Yeah. That would be better.

Coward

If he wasn’t though, how could she tell him they were homemade... ? Did she want to?

Just one more knock…

The entire house shook as Mai knocked again, with cracks spiderwebbing across the doorframe.

Hideki stared at the splintering door before him, his hand just literally millimeters from the doorknob. His hand shakes slightly as he hovered over the doorknob, this was hell, true hell, hes gonna get his ass beat and his door broken…

Well.. not the first part if he can help it..

He activated prideful stand, readying 4 other arms to defending his poor body from the incoming assault as he pulled the doorknob straight off the door… leaving the door close and with a rather large hole where the knob used to be…

He blinked a few times, then used his fingers to pull open the door, which then fully broken to pieces once hitting the wall behind it.

“...Morning Mai…”

“I brought you- Thes are- I, uh... araohoaihgha”

Mai could not English(Japanese) for the life of her, and ended up shoving a box of chocolates forward. If her mother hadn’t replaced them with something edible, Hideki might have been convinced she was trying to kill him, but thankfully it was normal chocolate at this point.

Mai tried again to speak, but stood stuttering there for another full minute. The world started to spin and she got a bit lightheaded.

The young man stared at the box, looking as if it were his death served to him upon a platter. Mai was apparently practicing some form of odd battle chant before him, he just wanted a nice day without something going wrong, but now his house was doorless and mai was looking like she was going to try and bite him like a rabid dog.

The young man took the box in hand and slowly opened the bow with one hand… taking a small peek in hopes that it wasn’t something like several snakes she caught and wanted to show him… Or a angry wolverine…

“...Chocolate…?” the young man blinked a few times before looking up to the girl… She… she was… Giving him valentines day chocolate?

“Oh… Uh…” he blushed abit before flashing a catlike grin that disappeared as fast as it came, his extra arms on guard he gave the young lady a hug. “Thank you Mai, how very thoughtful.” two can play this game you rabid….

His fun was cut slightly short as he watched in the distance a localized dust storm billowing up from a few blocks away…

...Something told him… that that wasn’t going to be good…

She was suddenly aware Hideki’s abs felt like a cheese grater as he hugged her… but not in a bad way? I mean, he wasn’t a prince charming, but certainly put up with most of Mai’s shit. Mai somehow managed to get out a sentence as she got hugged.

“I, ur… made them myself? Wondering if you, uh.. were…free later?"

Mai tried to give a hug back. She wasn’t that good at it and it was awkward, but she tried? Wait… was this working? Was…? Mai was suddenly feeling vertigo.

“Uh.. Hideki, let go, now!”

“Eh? Whats wrong?’ he asked stepping back slightly and putting his hands on her shoulders, well, his real hands… Wait… she really doesn’t look god… Oh… Oh shit he stepped backwards, knowing this wouldn’t end well… wait… that dust cloud was getting closer…

A ninja is prepared for anything. In Hideki’s case, that had better be projectile vomitting from a very nervous valentine. Mai turned a bright shade of red. There was no way in hell things were going to keep going that well! Great, now she looked like an idiot. And unladylike!

Mai looked awkwardly for a second.

“Uh… I’ll go...uh, clean, uh.. Uh...uh..”

And Mai started to fall.

Now hideki had sidestepped the huge mess that was now currently plastered upon his front… uhh.. Foyer? Fuck did he have one of those anymore? This girl.. Was she doing this as a prank!?

...Wait.. Was she… oh shit she's gonna fall onto her vomit!

Reaching out her caught the poor young lady who had destroyed his door and was dirtying the place to hell in his arms, realizing once again how surprisingly heavy Mai was.

Thats muscle for yea.

‘Fucking hell… Why did you have to fucking god damn pass out… Ugh… What do i do with you…?”

“FIEND! UNHAND MY DAUGHTER!”

Seemingly out of nowhere, a large, shirtless, muscular ninja dropped down. A whirlwind followed in his wake, threatening to sandpaper Hideki’s house. He moved to wrench Mai out of Hideki’s hands, and bodyflicker away at speeds even faster than Mai’s. Right behind him another voice could be heard panting.

“DAMNIT YUKISHIDE! THIS WAS EXACTLY! EXACTLY what you promised me you wouldn’t do when I told you what boy she liked!”

A woman ran into his yard falling to one knee. She wasn’t near as fast.

“@#$@ it. I said I wouldn’t use it a 3rd time, I lied. They’ll heal.”

She made a single handsign, and a large crash, like a meteor hitting the side of a building was heard in the distance. Turning to Hideki, the woman offered a large smile.

“Sorry about that, my husband can be… a bit much. Mai takes after him in that regard. You’ve got to be Hideki. I’m Nohime Sanada, Mai’s Mom. Sorry for the disturbance. You know, Mai really has nothing but good things to say about you. You must be an extremely nice young man.”

Hideki stared at this woman in disbelief… So she was the one… he’s remember meeting her once but never truly seeing her in action… She was the wrangler… And he could honestly feel, in the pit of his heart, a form of kinship with this woman…

From one who deals with the Sanada bullshit to another… they have survived, despite the odds.

“Ah, it’s.. A pleasure to meet you. Mai is rough at times but she's a good hearted person, that much I know from working with her.” the young man bowed politely towards the woman, looking rather conscientious infront of her.

“Her father must love her a great deal, i’m rather jealous of that really.”
he looked to the smoke cloud in the distance… Only feeling slightly bad… Okay not really at all..

Nohime watched the cloud and tapped her forehead a few times.

“He was going ⅔ full speed, which means he’d hit the building at… hmm.. Got about 15 minutes before they wake up, and 30 minutes before their lucid if past experience is anything to go by, 45 before blood loss starts have negative effects… I got time. “

Shaking her head, she did turn towards Hideki.

“She is a good person, but she’s @#$@’’ing retarded sometimes. Can’t help it, its in the blood. I’m grateful for you helping her out so much. So’s she if that chocolate’s anything to go by. Would you like to learn a bit of a trick for dealing with a Sanada moving faster than you can normally deal with? There is a trick to it, and I guess I have a moment.”

Hideki paused for a moment… and that catlike grin appeared once more. “Why that would be wonderful, it’d certainly would save me from buying a door again…” he pointed a thumb back at his barren, and thoroughly dirtied front door.

The young man was mending the door to his home, he had the floor clean and spotless once more after the field day that was Mai’s visit. He had a new trick up his sleeve though, so perhaps henceforth he could keep collateral damage from those visits to a minimum henceforth. The young man sighed, stretching out his back after installing the door he got from the sanada in replacement of his last, it was a nice thing..

Though.. It did come with a note that read “Don’t touch my daughter or I’ll kill you.”

Which he suppous was fair.

And likely was going to be ignored by said daughter.

He only hoped, that for the rest of the day, he would find himself a peaceful time…

….

But that wasn’t how things go in Konoha huh…

A cold wind blew over Hideki’s home. The icey uchiha looked down on the boy from her seat on the roof above his front door. It was time to see how Hideki felt after all of this.

“So, I’m sure whatever happened here was a disaster. You didn’t reject her did you?”

Ah… he figured she would’ve showed up… “Mai showed up, gave some chocolates, her father showed up, stole Mai’s unconscious body away after she fainted and then her mother showed up, knocking the two from the sky and causing that wreckage over there.” the young man pointed to the ruined building down the street.

Done, all explained.

“Let me guess, you have a hand in this?”

Aiko nodded. “Yup. Me and Mai had a talk, and I convinced her that today was the best day for her to finally confess to you!” It was a bit of a lie, but who was paying attention. “You sure you didn’t do something extra to her to make her pass out? Knowing you…”

“You’re full of shit.” heres how he knows.
  1. She hasn’t insulted him.
  2. She knows what happened here.
  3. Shes more smug than usual.
Didn’t take a genius to figure it out.

“Do me a favor and stop causing trouble for me… It’s bad enough as is, Mai gets in enough trouble herself without you acting like some mastermind or something..” the young man sighed and he finished with the door.

Aiko frowned. Did something that happened here upset him? Maybe he was just having a bad day… messing with him right now might not be the best idea.

“You alright? I wasn’t trying to get you hurt this time… I promise!” She wasn’t lying this time, but she wouldn’t have cared if had gotten beaten down either way. All she has to do was play her cards right… not that she was ever great at card games…

He sighed “Yea, I’m fine, just Mai broke the door, spewed her lunch on the floor after I gave her a small hug, yea know, friendly thing.

God forbid I have a peaceful day. Just not for me I guess… So, whats brings you around? Just to check how your plan went or did you actually come to visit ME, for once.”

Aiko giggled quietly, and hopped down from the rooftop. “Well I had already planned to visit you today. Last time you visited me you ‘bout got skewered so I decided I’d make it up to ya eventually.” Aiko paused for a moment, as the air got colder. “... also to thank you for saving me back at the coliseum. It really means a lot that you’s go and about kill yourself to save my sorry self…” Aiko shook her head.

“Anyway, I didn’t bring you any chocolate. I figured Mai had that part covered.” Aiko said as she fiddled with something hidden behind her back.

…”Well.. This is unexpected…” the young man crossed his arms. “I expected to never really hear of the colloseum again… But.. Well.. Your welcome.” He nodded, before looking down and feeling he should say more… Why not…

“Aiko… I know we can often be at one another’s throats.. but I truly care for yea, your my team mate, one of the greatest friends I could ask for. You’ve had my back, and I will always have yours. I’d do anything for you, your dad would hate me for saying that but I mean it, I truly do.” He walked forwards and put boths arms around her, keeping her close despite the cold.

“Thank you… For always being there… I hope I can repay you some how…”

Now Aiko understood how Mai felt. Hideki was quick with his hugs, and she hadn’t expected it at all! The cold intensified, but Aiko felt her cheeks heat up.

“D-don’t go spoutin’ that repaying me nonsense!” Aiko grumbled, enjoying a few more precious moment before wriggling out of his grasp. “Teammates always have each others backs so I don’t do anything special. But, if you really wanna repay me, you’ll take this.” Aiko revealed the object behind her back. It was a fishing pole, folded in half for easy transportation.

The young man beamed “Oh thank you very much. Its lively.” The took up the pole and continued to beam his smile upon the young lady. “You know, you be chilling the area but you have a pretty warm heart, helps your also the cutest in the village huh?” A catty grin popped onto hjs face, slowly letting on to what he was doing, attempting to fluster her back for what she tried to do to Mai.

And him, by proxy.

But he was being truthful, especially since the reigning queen of cute wasn’t in the village at the moment…

Aiko visibly flinched at the compliment. If she had a lighter skin tone her face would be bright red. However, she was quick to regain herself in order to shoot back a scowl. “Just learn to use the damn thing alright! Next time I come visit you we’re going fishing!” She wasn’t asking for his opinion on the matter, she assumed bis acceptance of the pole meant he’d be willing to go fishing sometime.

Aiko turned to leave, still scowling. “Greatest friend… pfft…”

“Alright, it’s a date then.” A toothy smile came upon his face as he went to go back in, letting those final words sink in like a final parting blow. Oh he loved playing with Aiko, but… well… Hes gonna need to stay in the sun to heat up after that hug… Brrr.

Users who are viewing this thread