Story Springtime Spring Visits

St. Clover

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
"We really should come out here more often, you know?"

"Yeah, we should. Shame work keeps us too busy most of the time."

"For real. Been working my tail off just to make the payments on that stupid Caster Gun."

"Told you it was expensive. Between the maintenance costs and the shells, it's basically a boat."

"If a boat could shoot fireballs."

"Fair."

Milianor laughed and leaned back, throwing her arms behind her head as she came to rest on the blanket beneath them. Feeling the coolness of the soil beneath, she closed her eyes and took in the smells of the forest. Wet earth and plantlife filled her nostrils, while the gentle lapping of the stream against the nearby rocks played in her ears. She could even make out birds chirping in the distance, echoing through the treetops.

She felt Charles shift on the blanket, lying down beside her. To look up at the trees, no doubt.

Neither said anything for several minutes, enjoying the sounds and feelings of spring all around them. He was right, she thought as the light danced through the swaying branches above them, playing tricks on her closed eyes. Work really did keep them too busy. Kept them from seeing each other, kept her from seeing her family too often. Days off like this were a rarity. Days away from the city like this even rarer. The thought made her sigh quietly.

"How long's it been?" she eventually found herself asking.

"Since?"

"Since we just, you know, hung out like this?"

"We hang out every day."

"Yeah, well. I meant really hang out. Like this."

"Away from it all?"

"Yeah."

Once again she felt the old man move around on the blanket. A quiet thump told her he'd stood up, the only sound those boots of his ever made. She hated how quiet he could be without even trying.

She cracked an eye open, and sure enough, he was standing.

She couldn't see his face from her place on the ground, but she knew that posture. Hands tucked in the pockets of that gaudy blue coat, shoulders slumped, head craned forward. He was thinking hard about something.

"Last time we were here was..."

He trailed off, swiveling his head across the pond to take in its majesty. In the half-light of the spring day she could see ribbons of light playing off that ridiculous haircut of his. A memento of his younger years, he'd told her. Back when he rang with a street gang as their tricked out guard dog.

She wished he would get it shaved, or at least made into something decent.

"Three years ago."

She blinked. Three years? Had it really been that long? The idea forced her to sit up, curling a leg up as she settled into a better position. She tried to recall their last visit to the glade, a trip made to celebrate her victory over a lycanthrope with nothing but a length of rope and her magic. Her 'I killed a Werewolf and all I got was this shit' achievement, Charles had called it.

That felt like a lifetime ago, she grimly thought. No wonder she felt a sense of longing.

"Damn," she said, allowing herself to relive scenes from that day. "We really need to take better care of ourselves. Three years for another mini vacation. Shit, might as well make it four next time."

Charles laughed, spooking some nearby birds into taking flight. "Careful what you wish for, Scales. Might get what you asked for."

Milianor frowned and snorted, sending up a ring of smoke from her nostrils.

She watched as Charles bent down and picked up a stone from the water's edge. He tossed it up a few times, before cocking his arm back. An instant later he hurled it out into the pond, sending it skimming over the surface. It made it fifteen jumps before sinking beneath the ripples.

A product of his extensive modifications, no doubt.

"So, how's the practice been going?" he asked, glancing over his shoulder at her.

Rolling her eyes, Milianor resisted the urge to push him over for brushing off her annoyance so quickly.

"Decent," she explained, motioning over to where her satchel sat nearby. "Think I've just about got the basics of the spell down. Just need a bit more practice, and I should have it."

"Just don't go trying it on the job until you've got it down pat, okay?"

"Says the guy who jumped at the chance to try out every new implant before he even tested it."

"Yeah, and look where it got me," he pointed out, tapping the side of his head.

"More machine than squishy human."

"Hey, I had to do something to keep up with the times. Not everyone's born with scales and magic, you know."

"I'm not that armored, you know," she grunted, poking her stomach with a claw. "Plenty others a lot tougher than me."

"Yeah, but name one human that's got a natural set of ballistic fabric growing on them."

"Fair enough, old man."

"What was that? I can't hear you. Have to speak up, little lizard. These audio receptors ain't what they used to be," he wheezed out, cupping his hand by one of his ears. "You calling somebody old."

A grin broke out across Milianor's snout, causing her to laugh so loud it scared all the birds around the glade away. She was going to have a good day, she felt.

Howdy folks! Here's my next random thing I wrote out a bit ago! Feedback is welcome, gonna try and do more of these little scenes with my dudes to get in the flow of stuff. Words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back