• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here
SIG MCX - Wikipedia.
Black Mamba

Jake Corman had made himself useful in providing some very nice hardware. His Russian counterparts did likewise, clearly not wanting to be outdone. Corman had supplied SIG MCX Low Visibility Assault Weapons (LVAW). Its folding stock would make it ideal for crawling through ducts - and it was small enough to be an assault rifle to Chum. They also gave her a taser pistol.

In fact taser pistols were issued all around. The Russians also had their own supply of gas for use in hostage situations - plus gas masks. But Ellen declined when Corman pointed out the dangers. The Russians pointed out that they had people in harm’s way as well.

While the group discussed strategies they were approached by some hostile looking men - just six of them. One of them motioned for four to stay back when the GRU agents started to bristle at the mere sight of the men.

“We come in peace. Vasilij here is maintenance. Has plans of building. Just want girls safe, yes? And … they were friends. So, we help you. You help us. Hope they give you trouble, yes?”

This the GRU understood. If the pirates tried to fight, the fight would turn quickly lethal. The man who spoke to them was Bratva. But he had no issues with letting GRU deal with the problem. If something as simple as providing a map helped, fine.

The GRU took pics of the map for their own use. They downloaded it to an iPad for Chum and gave a quick demonstration of the map use.

Corman handed the thermite paste to Ellen after demonstrating its safe use. Ellen smiled and handed it over to Olrion. “We aren’t out there anymore. Fire is a lot safer here. But let’s try not to burn the hostages. If you don’t need to use it, save it for another time. Like when you are low on mana.” She looked at Karoshi, “battle plan?”

Karoshi was none too bright when it came to technical matters. Military strategy and tactics on the ground was another matter. “Chum, when you get into position, let us know. Wait for our move. Plan is going to be simple. Captain, Rae, Rose, Orion and myself will pelt the room with the knockout vials. At that time I arranged for a distraction on the far side of the pirates. We just needed an exact set of coordinates. Sybil is going to send in some of her Zhelynes to draw fire. Ellen wants to take on the troll orc.” Karoshi looked displeased. “Black Fang belongs to Chum. If the knockout works as planned, the pirates and hostages should fall. We may miss a few though as they outnumber us.

“After that it is pretty straight forward. Tasers are probably best. Even if we accidentally hit one of the girls instead, it won’t kill them. If all the pirates fall except Black Fang and the troll, I say we turn them all on the troll and light his ass up!” She looked at Ellen, “unless this is an honor thing?”

Ellen smiled. “Actually, that would be fine. I made my plans before they gave us the tasers.”

Karoshi nodded. “Right. Chum, our distractions will be your signal to move in. Hopefully Black Fang will be distracted by our efforts.”

Battles rarely go according to plan. Black Fang had his own caster at work. While the crew was spying on him, he had been spying on them. Unfortunately, he couldn’t HEAR their plans. The one big surprise was the opening of Enola’s portals. Four Zhylene stepped through the portal holding large shields forged of laen. The laen proved tough enough to handle bullets.

Chum’s part of the plan worked perfectly right up until the part where she entered the room. The rest of the crew made it to their positions and tossed in the vials, getting a spray of automatic gunfire in return. The worst failure was the fact that by the time Chum was in position, Black Fang had a knife to Kelpie’s throat. They could take him down, but he would take Kelpie with him. If he even thought he was going down, he would probably end her. That was the whole reason Ellen had opted for the small area effect of the vials and avoided trying to use them on him.

Moonshadow hadn’t really been a factor in Karoshi’s plan. And it looked as if that was probably a good thing as she spent the early moments of the battle cowering on the ground, terrified of the noise. The suppressors really weren’t proving to be much use, not with Black Fang forewarned.

The Russian girls did one useful thing. They cowered. The pirates hadn’t really thought to use them as the more personal hostage that Black Fan had. Neither were they accustomed to advanced weaponry. Rae, Karoshi and Rasitah did more with their weapons on single fire with a very few rounds than the pirates did with whole clips spent on autofire. Then they moved in to extract the hostages.

Ellen moved in calmly to face off against the troll. For this she didn’t even draw a weapon. She had taken a single potion in preparation. The effects of that potion were soon evident. She was trained in a combat style not unlike aikido. It took all her will not to get distracted by the events that transpired between Black Fang, Kelpie, Chum and Moonshadow. She took the troll’s weapon away from HER and tossed it away. The potion had magnified Ellen’s strength beyond that of the troll. Soon the satisfying sounds of cracking bones and painfully screamed curses in orcish filled their ears as Ellen twisted and snapped joints and used the troll’s own weight against her.

Black Fang did the unthinkable. He knew his time was at an end. He knew Kelpie would be useless as a shield. So he chose to demoralize his foes. He yanked back hard on the knife and flung Kelpie away from him in a spray of blood from her throat.

“CHUM! WHERE ARE YOU, YOU LITTLE RUNT?” He knew Chum wasn’t with the rest of the crew. He just didn’t know where the runt had gone.

Chum Teeth
Out of Time

Chum had been in position. She’d been lining up a shot with the human zappy gun because they said it would shake him up, drop him, probably make him drop everything. He was holding Kelpie. He had a blade to her throat. Chum hoped he dropped both. Then the fight started, Chum took in a deep breath, and took aim. Too late. He cut her deep. Chum froze. Fear. Despair. Rage.

Black Fang, previously having not been shot at by anyone, would suddenly find a great deal of projectiles raining on him from above. First, a hail of bullets from the bullet-shooting gun the humans were handing out. Then, a very hole-riddled and jagged section of a vent cover was kicked his way, followed by an empty human firearm. Finally, a Goblin whose love was dying flew at him sword-first, Enraged, shrieking out a battlecry, no thought for her safety. Chum didn’t think any of her fellow crew spoke goblin. But she knew Black Fang spoke it, just a little. Chum hoped he understood her words. In the goblin language, she only spoke three words:

“YOUR THROAT BELONGS IN MY TEETH!”

It was too bad the human tongue needed six.

Olrion

Well this isn't going as planned, especially after the number one hostage got taken out. Needless to say, Olrion hadn't seen such intense rage in her entire life. Chum looked like she was gonna be busy for a while. With the plan in chaos at this point, she didn't feel the need to hold back, " Hey b#stards!." Olrion launched a fireball at the closest pirate that wasn't taken out by the initial attack. Although after only one spell she already started to feel winded, sure mana wasn't that plentiful here but already? Olrion still felt like she could launch just a few more blasts if needed tho.
As for hostage #1, she couldn't tell if she was still alive but if she was then getting her out of here was among top priority giving her condition.
Blood was supposed to stay in the body right? so maybe blocking the hole would keep her going for at least a little while longer while everyone else cleaned up this mess.
Tearing off a piece of her robe's sleeve, Olrion tied it around Kelpie's neck like a scarf in an attempt to stop the bleeding.
Olrion wasn't anything but a medical expert, she knew she would have to find someone who could actually help fast. Looking around for any nearby dangers, Olrion picked up the dying hostage to remove her from the chaos and hopefully find someone who could help.

Rae
Rae was horrified by the brutality of Balck Fang’s action. But she had a solution to the problem IF she could get to the goblin healer in time. She carried with her some potions called Aqua Vitae, created as a by-product by her alchemy mentor during one of his greater works. A single dose could heal any injury with no recuperation time required. Her task, however, was to deal with the other pirates. She had wanted to go after the troll, but Ellen had claimed that task for herself. Use of the tasers didn’t feel anywhere near as good as using her fists. In a way she envied Olrion, who use of fire, for once, would be tolerated.

Olrion
Olrion discovered that SOMEthing was messing with her fire magic far beyond the lack of mana. The fireball was partly negated as if an ice cream scoop was taken out of it and the fire itself consumed on one side. That side was the troll. Somehow the troll was negating fire. In a way it was comical, a dungeoneer’s worst nightmare - a troll immune to fire. It explained a lot.

Ellen
Ellen’s task proved to be one of the hardest. Ellen moved in swiftly, then slowing cautiously. She had drawn two swords. She nodded to the troll. “Ishi?”

The troll balked slightly. “We know one another?”

“In a way,” Ellen confirmed. “Surrender, and I might be able to convince leniency by the human governments.”

“What makes you think you will survive my blade?”

“Centuries of surviving worse. I truly have no wish to kill you.” But in the next instant Ellen realized the talking was over. Ishi sliced at Ellen expected agility in the drow’s response. Instead Ellen blocked the might blow with both swords with brute strength. The blow would have sent even Karoshi across the room. A quick flash of one blade by Ellen and Ishi’s blade - along with her thumb and bits of her other fingers - fell to the floor. Ellen followed through by kicking the legs out from under the troll and slamming the second blade through the troll’s chest pinning her to the floor. The final blow was hard enough to make the whole floor shake. All Ishi could do was struggle helplessly as her own armor became her trap.

Chum and Black Fang
Chum had no way of knowing that guns wouldn’t have worked near the troll. But then firing from the ceiling that hadn’t mattered. The fire suppressing magic had no effect that far away. What DID have an effect was some sort of magic that averted every single bullet. Chum could only guess that it was some sort of amulet of protection. It made the bullet veer off JUST enough to miss. From Chum’s vantage point the spray of bullets created a ring around the pirate. Unfortunately for the pirate the floor beneath him wasn’t as immune.

There was a crackling noise as the circle of flooring he was standing on gave way and he fell halfway through instinctively trying to catch himself. He had known about the amulet’s protection. He hadn’t considered the drawbacks nor understood how thick human floors were. He suddenly found himself at eye level with the goblin firmly wedged in place. He turned his dagger on Chum, unable to draw his own sword.

(I leave it to you to decide Black Fang’s fate.)

Moonshadow
Moonshadow was horrified at Black Fang’s action. She had listened to Chum’s stories with fascination and a girlish delight, despite denying it. Moonshadow always tried to act like she had a grey morality. But the simple truth was that she was made of the stuff of virtue and all that is light and good. Almost on instinct the unicorn began to resume her true form. Unicorns are creatures of magic. Some might argue that they are the source of magic. But one fact is well known. Unicorns are capable of miracles.

With a pace of pure intent the small unicorn approached to where Olrion was struggling to stem the flow of blood. It was wrong for love to be denied in such a fashion. Reprehensible. The unicorn glowed as she bent her head down to touch the small goblin with the tip of her horn.

Some call it the Unicorn’s kiss. Whatever you called it, the bleeding stopped; the wound healed. And Moonshadow’s secret was out.

Chum Teeth
The light was eclipsed...

A moment ago, Chum just wanted to see her old captain die. Now, on the ground, seeing her wild assault's result, she saw that she had time to make the bastard suffer. The plunging attack, meant to END that monster, had instead saw her cutlass bloodily pin one of his arms to the wooden floor. He struggled, his dagger flashed into his hand and he made a few wild stabs, but Chum was faster. She had lots of time to practice for this day, and though it was hard to say whether Kar was Black fang's equal or not, Chum had been ready for the pirate at his best. Now, his other arm, flailing, wasn't nearly enough to stop Chum's own flail. The long silken rope wrapped around his neck a few times, and Black fang's desperate attempt to cut it was halted by the everything knife, striking his hand and causing both blades to fall. The orbiting head of the flail struck the back of the captain's head, and Chum walked forwards, grabbing the strangling rope.

"You knew this would happen someday. You just thought it'd be the Navies, or the law... They'd make it quick. 'Humane'. But you killed her... My last shred of mercy went with her, you son of a-"
"HA!... You... Think it matters, runt? She's-"

The exchange was cut short both by chum tightening the rope and effortlessly raising the weightless captain, letting the Gravwood hang the man in place, choking him only a few inches off the ground... And the fact that Black Fang saw a miracle. Chum was too enraged, too heartbroken, too consumed by revenge to see what happened. But a loud, wheezing breath and some rough coughing caught Chum's attention. She might not have fully understood what she was seeing ("Where did the unicorn come" from was a question she'd ask later.) but the core of it was the important part.

Kelpie
Then the Moon shone brighter than ever.

For a moment, Kelpie thought she was dead. Both blood and tears were spread all about. Looking up into the innocent eyes of a unicorn, she was sure that this being was to ferry her off to the next world. Such a peaceful thing, in such a blood-stained place... One more reason to cry. Then, taking in a breath, reality crashed into her perception, just like the leftover blood from her wound crashing into her lungs. The unicorn was real! The myths about their healing mercies were true! SHE WAS ALIVE! And so was Chum! And... So was Black Fang.

"Chum? I can't-NO!"

She cried, quickly throwing her consecrated blade at the semi-suspended captain, knocking away the human firearm he'd just tried to draw. No, she'd spent YEARS thinking her love was dead, only to learn Chum was alive less than a day ago, and now that they were together, Kelpie would never, EVER let Chum go! And with a quick, decisive movement, her lover caught that holy blade and put it into Black Fang's empty heart. God, she loved that fool for a lot of reasons. Violence wasn't one of them, and yet that display of skill against someone who deserved it made her heart feel a little lighter. She wanted to rush over and embrace her right that second, but there were still a few pirates. Pirates who were trying to flee, and weren't shy about taking parting shots. Between her armor and the captain's charm still working, Chum didn't get seriously hurt. Still, the bullet embedded in her armor CERTAINLY meant a bruise underneath, and one of those shots DEFINITELY grazed Chum's leg. Bruises didn't REALLY count as getting hurt, though. And that wee little cut was nothing to worry about once they got some bandages.

"Thas... Whatcha get for interruptin' the LADY, FANG!... So... You had somethin' to say?"
"Nothing, just... I'm glad you're back, you feral fool!"
"I missed you every day, ya roughhouse surgeon! Hassled the mages every day to see that lovely face!"
"You-... YOU DIDN'T EVEN TRY TO USE SENDING? I THOUGHT YOU DEAD FOR YEARS, CHUM!"
"Uh... I uh... really thought surprising the cap'n was important?"
"YOU LET ME THINK YOU WERE DEAD BECAUSE YOU THOUGHT YOU COULD SNEAK UP ON HIM IF HE-"
"OH HEY I THINK ELLEN NEEDS HELP."

went the lovers' exchange. Lovers they were, and lovers they'd be, but... Well, just because they missed each other and loved each other didn't mean one or the other couldn't be mad. And Chum DEFINITELY wasn't going to live this one down, ever. But, even as Chum dodged the awkward situation she'd unwittingly caused, she couldn't help but cry a few joyous tears. However, speaking of awkward situations, Chum hurried over to Ellen (who certainly didn't need help) and prepared to ask awkward questions like 'Is there any really good way to apologize for faking my death?' and instead found herself noticing a particular resemblance between the captain and the very well-pinned Troll...

"Cap'n... You really do outdo bunnies, huh? I mean... Seriously, the crew's gonna find out soon. Real soon. This is ridic... Riddick... This is nuts!"

Olrion

Life has a way of sorting itself out sometimes. Healing was definitely not her cup of tea but looks like that wouldn't be an issue with Moonshadow around. "K-kid!?" Olrion had been temporarily blinded by the light radiating off the newly transformed unicorn in front of her. "W-when how!?" she just stared at the unicorn dumbfounded however, questions could be asked later as the newly revived Kelpie practically leaped from her arms to embrace the small goblin.
Looks like the touching reunion soured rather fast from Olrion's perspective, although she couldn't really hear them.
" Alright, who wants mor-" the mage had stood up to face another opponent only for the realizing that her attack had done practically nothing to crash down on her.
Face growing whiter than normal the dhampir felt backed into a corner, a melee fighter she was not.

Moonshadow pranced around at first, enchanted by the reunion of the two lovers. Oh, she TRIED to convince others she was some sort of black unicorn - or grey - or maybe a Goth. But the truth was that she was as affected by the whole love conquers all as anyone. But as the communication between the two turned to a small spat she grew confused.

Now that the situation was becoming resolved the Zhylene moved forward to assist with wrapping up - literally as they bound the surviving pirates. Ellen shook her head as they started to approach Ishi - keeping a hand on the sword pinning the half Uralchai to the floor. Ishi was still very, very dangerous. Even now fingers were starting to regrow.

“A Frost Brand? Brilliant. Not that you need one. But still brilliant. You made the amulet for Black Fang?” Ellen was a little irked. But she understood. “Sorry about the fingers.”

“Had to. Nothing I could do for this gang. Or the goblin. And if I hadn’t made the amulet, it would have looked bad. Fang kept her to himself. And with my regeneration I had no excuse to get close to … Kelpie?” Ishi explained.

“Am I going to have to give you new lessons if I remove this sword?” Ellen asked.

“You will if you don’t,” Ishi threatened. “Gauntlets?”

Ellen smiled. “Of course. Effective?”

Ishi scowled. “Quite. The fight would have gone very differently without those. This contract has not gone well.”

“Contract?”

“The goblin cleric - Kelpie. There was a contract to locate her, more if I could safely rescue her. But this last mission Fang took on made a mess of it.”

“I wouldn’t say that. I am the one who opened the contract.” Ellen almost looked smug. But anyone who really knew her would have recognized an almost maternal look in her eyes. She was very protective of her crew. She had been working toward Kelpie’s rescue all this time. The first step was to locate Black Fang.

“You owe me big then.”

Ellen smiled again. “Well, WE found her first. And you didn’t do a very good job of protecting her. But we can work something out.”

+++++++++++++++

Russian police moved in and took most of the pirates into custody - those who lived. Some redhead in a uniform showed up - apparently a liaison - and smoothed things over with the local authorities. She personally walked over to check on Kelpie. Then she handed the little goblin something that resembled a locket on a necklace. She turned and walked over to Chum and offered one that was very similar.

The locket opened to reveal a holographic portrait of Kelpie. The woman’s voice lowered. “Yes, it is blessed - a holy relic that will function much like the amulet Ishi made for Black Fang. But more - it is an enchanted communication device. This way you can keep in touch better in the future - once you two have made up.”

Ellen had seen the officer paying too much attention to the goblins and walked over to ask what she was doing. When the officer turned her attention on Ellen, the half drow stopped in her tracks. “Beth?” The single word was almost a whisper.

Beth smiled. “We are very proud of you. I can’t say that Onauva and I have ever been thrilled with the things you have done. Chryslaen did say it was a necessary evil though. I so very much loved your parents. It still grieves me what was done to them. And those two,” she indicated the goblins, “I have enjoyed seeing them reunited - very, very much. I wish I could have helped more directly.”

Beth spoke with Moonshadow as well - who had resumed her human form.

++++++++

Before they all got loaded back onto the spelljammer ship the Russians allowed a rather unsavory sort of human through their security with a package they had to inspect before nodding and allowing it through. It was a bottle of Stolichnaya Elit - from the local Russian mafia, largely for rescuing the girls and getting some revenge on the pirates. Stolichnaya Elit was considered the best brand of vodka in Russia.

Back aboard the ship, they finally had a chance to meet Ishi. Ellen explained Ishi’s role aboard Black Fang’s ship. In truth, Ellen would have preferred to keep her secrets about secretly helping. But she could see no way to avoid the truth - or part of it - under the circumstances.

Chum Teeth & Kelpie
Love prevails today.

Chum teeth had many, MANY questions about the charm, the events that lead one of Ellen's other mysterious daughters to act as a double agent aboard the Maw, the realization that YES, the Unicorn was actually Moonshadow, and... Honestly Chum had enough questions to last the whole voyage back to the space hole, if they indeed chose to go. Perhaps she'd even have a few left over when they got back to the phlogiston. However, Kelpie grabbed her by the ear and dragged her off to the Sterncastle before even one more could be asked. Once there, Chum threw out her arms, leaving herself wide open...

"Go On then. I'm a little green idjit, I let you think me dead, and I deserve-"

Chum didn't get to finish as Kelpie gave her a good slap across the cheek. Chum felt she deserved that and worse. But before she could even begin, she felt Kelpie's arms wrap tight around her waist. So tight that Chum couldn't possibly squirm free. But Chum simply returned the embrace of the slightly shorter goblin, hearing sobs and seeing a few precious tears hit the deck.

"Years... It was years... I'd given up on you, you... You half-brained idiot! And then... Just like that, you come back?... I... I'm never letting go! Never again, you... You little idiot."

Chum didn't reply right away. Instead, she kept holding on, just as Kelpie did. Swaying back and forth. Chum soon saw tears hitting Kelpie's stained hair, and it took her far too long to realize they were hers... They stood like that for quite a while. But in the end, Kelpie was the one to break their silence.

"Chum... Do you remember... Our song?"
"Well... I thought I heard the old gob say; Leave her Kelpie, Leave her~..."

Chum began. Then, Kelpie's voice joined in.

"Tomorrow we will have our day, 'cause it's time for us to leave her..."
"Leave her Kelpie, Leave her!"
"Oh leave her Chummy Leave her!"
"For the Voyage is long and the wind can't blow, And it's time for us to leave her."

"Oh the air was foul and our blood ran hot!"
"Leave her Chummy leave her!"
"We ran it red and one got shot,"
"And it's time for us to leave her..."

The two sang for quite a while, like that. Embracing each other, gently swaying as they looked out at the moon over the cloudy sky... Chum had learned the 'original' version of the song many years ago. She came up with her own version not long after she and Kelpie found that shine in each other. The captain forbade singing on board long before then, and Chum only sang in the most hushed tones and melodic whispers... Now they sang aloud and let their emotions become part of the melody. No noise complaint or nosy crew mate had any hope to stop them now. Kelpie hadn’t sung like this since she was with her fellow priests, and Chum had sung like this nearly every day after she was thrown overboard, knowing her intended couldn’t hear her song... Now they sang with joy and love in their voices; Who could bear to tell them no?

Olrion

Olrion didn't stay with the others in the spelljammer for long. Sitting just outside the ship, she flipped through the pages of her journal pouring over her list of spells. Although everything turned out alright the fight had quickly gone south and she realized after that if they were able to just negate her attacks so easily then there was nothing she could do had the battle gotten worse.
Her frustration grew by the second, a ring of fire circled around her as she muttered one of her incantations.
Why did she feel so out of place here, everyone else already looked so close.
Now we've picked up another 'friend?'
If Ellen had had someone undercover on Blackfang's ship why had she not warned everyone ahead of time to avoid any possible disaster?

Why did she feel like everyone had something to hide.
Then again why would anyone need to tell her anything, what has she done to earn that kinda trust?
It's not like a majority of her skills have been useful so far.
The circle of fire grew taller and taller before Olrion launched it away with a shout where it quickly dissipated.
"Then I'll just have to make myself useful."

Back in the USA
NYC - Lotte NYC Palace
(The same hotel they stayed in the first time.)

The trip back to the USA wasn’t so rushed and the group was allowed to get a bit more rest this time. By the time they landed travel arrangements were made and their escort went a great deal more smoothly - with plenty of warning to don sunglasses - reven though agents were placed with signs that warned No Flashes Please. There were still a few flashes, but nothing like the first time. That didn’t mean there wasn’t a crowd. Ellen was willing to handle a press interview but the UN Liaison, Dr Pauline Fraiser refused to allow it.

The explanation for the quick escort turned out to be due to a very recent attack on NYC by Beholders. At first the battle did not go well. This time the Beholders proved to be better organized and used the terrain to defend themselves. It didn’t help that they had Umber Hulks to lead the charge. Then, inexplicably the Beholders started dying fast. But it wasn’t just that they died. They did so by forces unknown and with such ferocity and speed that they never spotted who their unknown ally was.

That prompted a briefing upon arrival - and the start of the next mission. It wasn’t so much a combat mission as a consultation. The UN, Federal and local police wanted some sort of explanation.

Ellen decided to leave most of the group behind. This time she sent Olrion, Rae and Enola. She told Chum that this mission was strictly voluntary, that she would understand if she wanted to spend some leave with Kelpie. (Kelpie and Ishi were being offered positions with the crew.)

When they arrived they were handed surgical gloves. Apparently everyone wore them in the area. A few blocks had been cordoned off where over 60 Beholders had been slaughtered. The fact that they had been slaughtered and not by the guns of the humans was impressive enough. That so many of them had been slaughtered in such a small area was more impressive. But it was HOW they had been killed that was truly impressive.

Eyestalks had been ripped off. In some cases rebar had been rammed through their main eyes. One was found stapled to the concrete with rebar over where a firehydrant had had its top ripped away. The pressure had made the main eye burst out. A few of the Beholders appeared to have attacked one another.

The thing was that Beholders levitated. Someone had engaged in melee with them, someone with supernatural strength. Could Ellen have done this? Likely. All she would need would be some way to levitate. However, odds were that she would have used a blade. This looked more like the eyestalks had been ripped away using a blunt instrument like a sword and sweeping across them to take more than one out at a time.

There were witnesses. That’s where things got more interesting. The first victims had been rescued from the attacks by the Beholders. They never saw who their savior was. But they were pulled into the shadows and - as near as they could tell - teleported a short distance.

Shadow stepping. The rescuer was using shadow magic. He or she had cleared the battlefield of bystanders, then attacked an entire Great Tyrant ship full of Beholders. Or perhaps it was several attackers. It must have been a running battle. It seemed likely that he/they had used shadow magic to blind the Beholders. That would account for the attacks upon one another.

The investigation started to drag on. Most of the analysis would have to be done in a lab somewhere - and in truth resources were stretched thin. But the CSI specialists seemed to be developing a gut feeling that the scene was the work of not one but two, though most was done by the brute force attacker. The second attacker seemed to have arrived late.

Olrion

Olrion kept her journal out keeping notes and small crude doodles of the beholders with arrows pointing to their injuries. Whoever was responsible for this was clearly efficient at their job and based on evidence could not have been one of the humans of this world. It couldn't be one of their own either since nearly all of them were busy with the pirates only a few days ago. She couldn't lie, seeing how effortless these unknown entities handled the beholders sent chills down her spine. There wasn't much of an explanation Olrion could provide to the authorities aside from what should be obvious. Finishing her notes, Olrion decided that Ellen would be better to comment on the situation, she always seemed to know what was going on so maybe she was involved with this somehow no matter how impossible it seemed. If all else failed perhaps Olrion should do some investigation of her own.

Chum Teeth & Kelpie
Goblins in the city

“This... Doesn’t feel right.”
“You been locked up for years, miserable’n’ready to die. You an’ me BOTH gotta take a minute an’ LIVE. Aside, doncha need new duds?”
“We’re in these human’s equivalent of a noble’s carriage, surrounded by guards, riding through a city the size of a kingdom, in what looks to be the rich quarter of town. That’s not... Us?”
“And we ain’t rich after snagging this?”
“You know what I mean. We’re not at home here. We should be in a lively tavern, or a seaside shanty, or... somewhere real, at least.”
“I do know. Maybe after you get some new duds we can ask about that?”

The two goblins clearly wanted simpler surroundings than the big, bustling city. But right now they were going to a ‘mall’ to get Kelpie something to wear aside from the tattered remnants of her old robes or the ill-fitting clothes she’d been given by the human liaisons. However, first things first, they had to get some local currency. That's how the two of them ended up in a pawn shop, pouring out an incredible variety of golden coins from at least ten different crystal spheres onto a counter, from a coin purse too small to normally hold it all. A coin purse made of conspicuously blood-red velvet, sealed with a drawstring decorated with an obsidian 'tooth'.

"So... That's gonna come to about Eighteen-hundred per coin? I'm just... Wow. This is nuts."

"An... How much is that gonna buy? Like, if we wanted clothes or food or-"
Is how the negotiating between Chum and the shop owner began before one of the agents cut in.
"You could probably get all your necessary shopping done for a few hundred."
It was at this point that Chum shoveled all but five of the coins back into the bag, the coins remaining were weighed, and they walked away with just under ten thousand dollars. (Some of the coins were heavier than they looked, and Chum had to stab and replace one that turned out to be a very small mimic) It was then that they went to exactly the right place to shop: A thrift store.

"Why are none of these robes my size?... And why are they all so fluffy?"
"They're bathrobes, Ma'am. For when you need to put something on as you get out of the bathtub."
"Ayy, found som'n with a hood! S'not a robe, but..."
"Oh, that's a good start!"
And thus, it wasn't long before the two walked out in their new garb: Chum had taken up some skinny jeans, a pair of 'lightly' used converses, a rather over-warm long-sleeved shirt in a good shade of deep red, and one of the human 'beanie' caps in black. Everything was in children's sizes. Chum, of course, openly wore her armor right over all that. With her oversized sunglasses, the look was definitely complete. Kelpie, meanwhile, was wearing a child-sized ensemble of her own, including a hoodie with an odd X-eyed face on it (Which Kelpie resolved to make closer resemble her holy symbols later) A long white skirt, long socks, pink sandals, and a plain black shirt between herself and the human 'flak jacket' armor that the humans gave her, which laid underneath the hooded garment. The rounded purplish sunglasses with the gem-shaped lenses completed her look all too well.
"Lookit us. Dressin' up funny like humans! S'nice..."
"The look suits you, Chum. Real tough... But I know juuuust how soft you are under all that."
"You look even better... Even if you're hard as iron under all that soft stuff... I... I think today's a good one. Even if we don't get to go to a nice tavern."
"Well... Um, Guard person, is there anywhere... Simple like that around here?"

This question led the two to a small Irish pub by the name of Molly's. A popular one. One that reminded them of a home they'd not seen in years. Drinking, singing, and dancing ensued not long after they arrived. The place soon went from mildly crowded to extremely packed. And after an hour or so, a call was sent out to Ellen because the bodyguards had neither the means nor the will to remove the wild lovers from the establishment. Given how deep into their drinks they were, it seemed... Unwise to remove the two goblins, even if they were only lightly armed today.

Enola wasn’t much of a conversationalist, especially with humans. Her people had been hunted almost to extinction by humans of her own world. Rae, on the other hand, was very human in her outlook having been raised among them and not so much as an outcast. The authorities made it clear that they weren’t looking for the three to conduct an investigation for them. Rather they hoped that they could shed some light on what might have happened - or rather how.

Rae spoke up. “While a creature or being might have done these things, there are some simpler explanations. The sheer strength involved would be possible with certain magic items - a bit rare but they do exist. Gauntlets of giant strength. Rings or boots of levitation. The shadow teleportation, however, is unusual. There I am stumped.”

Beyond this there was little they could offer. It was just a case outside the experiences of human investigators.

By the time the three returned to the “Palace” the goblins had made themselves scarce. Ellen was gone - as were Ishi, Karoshi, and Rasitah. Ellen had decided to tail the goblins - just in case - but in a separate limo. Ishi seemed to love the limo and, like some child, played with every button. (Who was going to tell a half troll not to do anything?)

Moonshadow had been sent to stay with Sybil for the time being.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/89/f0/a3/89f0a335d0ff5e20873e14e658250c7b.jpg
Height 6’0”
Weight 170 (thin and wiry)
Hair long straight jet black hair
Eyes Steely blue (or pitch black)

He has a preference for dark clothing, usually black. Black T shirts, a black duster (Matrix style), black shoes, black socks, and very dark sunglasses. He sometimes wears black gloves.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e9/43/45/e94345040d7a24f18390d4381436e847.jpg
His T shirt

Back at the Palace night had fallen and it wasn’t long before things started to get strange again. The human agents inside the apartment suite suddenly became alarmed and ordered Olrion, Rae, and Enola to take cover. Someone had made it past all but the last layer of security - just outside the door - and claimed to be a doctor. The simple fact that he had made it that far meant that security had scrambled and had the poor doctor slammed on the floor to be restrained. He should never have made it that far unchallenged.

All he had on him was a small medical bag with items like stethescope, and such. But he also had a small rum canteen filled with - blood. They also found multiple pairs of fake fangs. These weren’t the dentures like ones normally used. Rather that were thin plastic strips that could fit easily between his lips and teeth. They were more realistic looking. And … they found tickets to some magic show in an envelope.

Then they made the mistake of trying to remove his glasses and duster. This he refused to allow. Try as they might they couldn’t make him budge. He was a lot stronger than he looked. Then one of the agents started to draw a weapon. In a couple seconds the fight was over and the agents found themselves laying on the ground restrained by their own cuffs.

Dr Channing looked up at the security cameras. “Sorry? I really AM a doctor - hematology and genetics. I teach at NYU. Night classes. I was just going to invite them to a magic show. They do pre - pre - presss… They do sleight of hand stuff. Stage magic. Really cool stuff. Sorry about this. But my eyes are really sensitive. I have porphyria - you know, the vampire disease? Did they really need to try to strip search me. The police know who I am. I run a free clinic.”

One of the agents inside snorted a laugh as they watched the video feed. “The guy has diarrhea of the mouth.”

From the other side of what was supposed to be a well insulated door Dr Channing retorted. “No I don’t. That’s not really a thing.”

“Can he hear us?” the other agent asked.

“Well, it isn’t as if you are whispering.” Matthew replied. “I have excellent hearing.”

The second agent added, “He checks out. NYU, runs a free clinic. He was the subj-” The man stopped. “Lot of problems with local police, but I think he rubbed them the wrong way.”

Matthew laughed. “Not my fault the guy broke his foot. They woke me up in the middle of the day and never showed me a warrant - or gave me a chance to open the door.”

The agent continued. “Guy has a government security clearance. Works with BL 4 diseases, mainly Ebola and Marburg. Stand down; let him in. And return his things.”

“You heard him; return my things,” Matthew sounded a little petulant.

Once inside Matthew’s smile returned. It was a wonder he didn’t get whiplash from looking around excitedly at the three spelljammer crew members. “Cool,” was the best he could manage at first. Then he remembered his manners. “I am Dr Matthew Channing. I have tickets to a magic show. Anyone want to go?”

++++++++++++++++++

It was early in the evening, while Chum and Kelpie were working on converting some of their loot into Earth money that Dr Pauline Fraiser got called away. There had been a disturbance at the hotel with the other SJ crew. So she made it a point to call in a favor to have the goblins kept out of too much trouble. But she did stick around long enough to smooth matters over with the pawn shop dealer. Ten thousand was more than most dealers kept laying around in cash. She had most of the funds loaded onto prepaid cards, doing her best to explain how they worked - and the inherent dangers - theft, demagnetizing, etc. Then she suggested carrying smaller amounts of cash - which could also be stolen.

If humans hadn’t all looked alike; IF they didn’t already have a following of human fans - the goblins might have noticed the very, very tall (6’5”) human female following them. She was a slender, beautiful redhead, well dressed. She only had one odd habit; she wore sunglasses at night. No, she wasn’t the one that had met them in Russia. But she did follow them everywhere - even into the bar.

It wouldn’t be until the party at Molly’s had begun to crank up to a dull roar that they would even interact with her. And even that might not have happened if not for the fact that some small beady eyed man tried to talk them up for business. He had some small dolls with him. Weird? Definitely. One doll was some guy that was supposed to be made of iron or something. Ironman? Then there was some troll called the Hulk. anyways these dolls were kids favorites. Many would be dressing themselves up to look like them for a holiday called Halloween. The description of the holiday sounded like fun - kids running around demanding loot or get pranked. The traditional loot was candy. And usually all the adults paid up.

The guy seemed to want their blessing to make costumes and dolls that looked like them. That was when the redhead intervened. “Excuse me? You wouldn’t be trying to take advantage of them while they are likely intoxicated, would you? Because that would be unethical and illegal. It isn’t a bad idea, but the terms should be discussed later - after they have recovered. If you have a business card, leave it with me.”

“Who the hell are you lady. I am just trying to do good business …” the man started.

“Maureen Channing - WNN - Women’s News Network. Care to put this on the record?” The redhead gave him a thin smile. The man paled and excused himself hastily. The woman’s smile broadened ever so slightly. “I didn’t think so.” She offered her own business card, then tucked it into Chum’s pocket. “For later, if you’d like to do an interview.”

Chum Teeth & Kelpie
Funny Business

To the goblins’ credit, they weren’t quite ready to take the odd stranger up on his offer. Then again, that was mainly because they were trying to get the details on what ‘Plastic’ was. They’d gathered that it was more a category of materials than a single one, a lot like how metals included copper, steel, and other things. They’d also concluded that the Kevlar in Kelpie’s human-gifted armor was the Mithril of plastics, even if that wasn’t precisely the case. Then, right as they finally got around to asking if the Hulk was an Ogre, a Troll, or an exceptionally big Orc, the new redhead intervened. Then, she left Chum with a card (covered in human text that neither goblin quite knew how to read, and didn’t have any noticeable connection to card games or tarot) and left.

“Did she seem... Really suspicious to you?”
“Can’t SEEM somethin’ ya plainly are. She was real, real shade-like... An’ she clearly got night eyes... An’ she been watchin’ too long. S’like a guild thief.”
“What?... Like, a spy? Connected to... Umm... What was his name?”
“Oh Kelp if you don’ ‘member I got no clue how I could. But... Spymaster man. Gave us the stuff. The Giffy-bangs. But wouldn’t she have said she knew him?”
“How should I know? People like that are never, EVER straightforward!... Maybe we should just get one... One more pint of the thick stuff and go back to the palace?”
“Yeah, and a round of the regular for everyone else!”

So after a round of drinks, a pair of stouts, and a heartfelt rendition of “Running down to Baldur” (which was remarkably similar to the human ‘Running down to Cuba’) the two goblins walked away from the little pub to many cheers and a few cries of ‘Don’t go yet’. Then, it was back to the “palace” for the two green lovers. Where instead of doing anything lovely, bunny, or otherwise goblin, they decided instead to do some research on human things. Like these so-called “Avengers”...

“So he’s like a Werewolf, but instead of a Wolf it’s an Ogre?”
“I don’t think that’s impossible, but it sure is weird. The real question is how he’s beating up an actual god, you know?”

Olrion

Who the heck is this guy? the chill found its way back to her spine. What kinda doctor could do all of that, aren't these humans supposed to be trained to handle this kinda stuff, why is he carrying such realistic looking fangs. Now that he was in the room the sent from his bag was strong. Blood? Olrion turned her head away from the bag to try and block the smell while not making it obvious. She had to admit she didn't drink blood very often given how.. illegal it can be to obtain.. aside from animals caught in the woods behind her childhood home. It was easy to ignore the smell of it while in battle but with everything... mostly peaceful.. it was a bit harder. Why was he carrying that stuff? was that normal for doctors? what kinda doctor dresses like that? a magic show?
Olrion remembered the Beholders from earlier, it may be a stretch but what if the guy had a lead. Given his bag of.. things.. he might be familiar with monsters, not to mention the strength he demonstrated.
" I-if you insist "
She tried to mask her nervousness although one more observant would see her shoulders shake; hopefully, he wouldn't be carrying that bag around the whole time the smell was certainly strong.

Last edited:
“Oh, you don’t HAVE to go. I just heard a rumor that you do magic. I thought you would like to see what passes for magic here. I’ve been practicing since I was a kid myself. I am a patron of the arts. Although, I hate it when they do the flashy stuff. Hurts my eyes. But I can pretty much tell you how they do every trick. My sort of stepfather was one of the greatest mages ever. He’s actually my half sister’s father. My father’s a friend of his.

“I was going to run some physicals and blood tests if anyone needed it. Apparently I qualify as a xenobiology expert. So I was asked to make myself available as a doctor if needed. I don’t really practice much medicine as a surgeon though. I am more into pure research.

“And I happen to have friends on the police force.” He looked up as if searching for something. Then he nodded. “One. Yeah … one. Though he’s really an intern. And we didn’t hit it off too well when we first met. I beat him up. Well, he would tell you HE won. But he cheated. But he’s cool. He’s a Batman fan; so he can’t be all bad. I’m a bigger fan - no matter WHAT he tells you.” Matthew had begun to sound petulant again. He had clearly lost the fight and didn’t want to admit it. “Oh … and I have a friend who is a genuine police consultant. She’s a psychic. But … she’s sort of a know-it-all.”

Matthew was going to talk their ears off.

A woman’s voice interrupted. It was that of the UN Rep, Dr Pauline Fraiser. Her degree work included Psychology. But she had been given a heads up - a little too late - that Matthew would be arriving. “Dr Channing!”

Matthew’s head snapped around to look at Pauline. “Headshrinker!”

“If you like? Your head would make a fascinating study. We could play 20 questions. You like games, right?”

Matthew squirmed. “Or … I could take HER to a magic show?! I’ll take good care of her; I promise!”

“Did she say yes?”

“Uhhh … she didn’t say no?” Matthew was still squirming. Clearly he and Pauline had a history and she made him nervous.
Dr Fraiser looked at Olrion. “It’s okay. I know about him. His sister is an acquaintance of mine.”

Matthew looked back at Olrion. “But we need to drop by my place so I can drop off my medical bag. I don’t usually drag it everywhere - or I could leave it here? We can grab a cab.” He didn’t keep his flask in the medical bag though. That he carried on his person. And that meant having to deal with the scent of blood all night.

+++++++++++++

The return of Chum and Kelpie unharmed and without incident was cause for relief for the UN security forces - disappointment for Karoshi, who had hoped for a brawl. By the time they returned Matthew Channing had already departed with whomever wished to join him. (His interest was mainly Olrion.) The Q & A about comic book characters that ensued brought a smile to Dr Fraiser’s face. Even the Spymaster, Jake Corman, smiled. That was a little unusual.

Pauline explained about comic books and how much humans love stories of fiction. She explained about fantasy and superheroes. Then she explained about Hulk. “He’s a superhero, a metahuman. There is a saying about him - Don't’ make him angry. You wouldn’t like him when he’s angry.”

Rasitah laughed. “We say the same thing about Karoshi - and she’s already green. He IS kinda cute though. Figures he’d be a work of fiction.” She sounded disappointed.

Pauline continued. “As to how he could beat a god to a pulp, well Loki isn’t a god. He was the son of the king of the Frost giants and an Aesir woman. Neither race were gods. But the Aesir were worshipped as gods by humans. Loki wasn’t really a warrior either. He was known as a trickster.

“As to the woman who you met, Maureen Channing, she is one of the rare truly respectable journalists there are. She was a colleague of mine some years ago. I asked her to tail you and keep you out of trouble - such as being taken advantage of by entrepeneurs - when I got called back to deal with Matthew Channing. He is her half brother. I am afraid that details about those two are classified.” She gave a hard look at Jake Corman. “Above your pay grade.”

“Not yours?” Corman gave no hint of it, but was probably a little irritated.

“Limited access. I’ll look into getting you read in. The full story is President’s Eyes Only. And I doubt even HE knows everything.”

Corman’s eyes narrowed. “It wouldn’t have anything to do with that carnage of Beholders earlier, would it?”

Pauline offered a thin smile. “No comment.” She turned her attention back on the goblins. “Ms Channing would like to conduct an interview. But before she does so she will send a list of questions. She doesn’t like to surprise her guests. And she would like you to submit a few questions as well. She is a journalist who specializes in news about women. WNN stands for Women’s News Network. She is the CEO and owner of the network. Corman, we also need to investigate the entrepreneur who tried to do business with the goblins.

“Oh, on another matter, we have rescued quite a few goblins. Chum, it would seem that your fame precedes you. They want to speak with you. If you are interested, when you are ready we can schedule a trip.”

Olrion

" This is what you people call magic? " Olrion was thoroughly unimpressed with the shows 'magic', if she was up there they would see a real show.
At night the city was much more bearable, fewer people rushing at her, no camera flashes. Actually, at night the city lights weren't all that bad, almost pretty, although she couldn't see the stars very well on this planet for some reason. Maybe the change in clothing made her blend in better as well, a long black and red sundress with a matching hat and shoes, although she kept her iron chest plate hidden under the dress, the dress was loose enough to cover most of it but you could still see the metal peek out mostly around the shoulders.
Olrion kept her journal with her to jot down her experiences and any information she could squeeze out of this guy.
Seeing as the show was nothing to behold, she resigned to record her findings for the day.
Writing down everything that she knew about this guy (who still made her suspicious) and her own theories about what happened today.

The physical strength that Matthew displayed earlier makes me wonder if he had anything to do with the slaughter of the beholders, although I have not seen anything that would show he could levitate. But as Rae said, there are plenty of items that could allow for this. He might even already be familiar with creatures from our world given his apparent excitement to meet us. Aside from this however he doesn't look to have any connection to the event although his appearance today was conveniently timed. Maybe we should Dr. Pauline who apparently already knows him about this. This is the only lead I have right now so I have to follow it.

The smell of that damned blood filled her nostrils again, why the hell was he still carrying that around. She finally turned to her..odd companion " So...why are you carrying blood with you..?"

Olrion caught sight of another one of the magician's so-called 'magic' tricks. "Ok that's enough" she got up from her seat and stormed over to the stage.

What a mockery of the art she spent years trying to perfect. Olrion without hesitation hopped up on the stage while the magician was showing off his 'levitation' " You guys really pay for this? " with a single finger she heated up the strings holding the man up till they burst into flames and the magician face-planted.
" Surely you all know this is fake. Why don't I show you something...real." Olrion snapped her fingers and a small fireball formed in her palm. Launching the fireball in the air, she decided to be a bit flashy and did a small twirl as the ball blew up into small fireworks. Her performance was vastly different from the traditional magic show, it was more of a dance (albeit pretty rusty, clearly not a professional) with sprinkles of her magic added in.
Olrion would spin a line of fire around her like a ribbon. tiny fireworks were a personal favorite to throw in every now and then at one point the tips of her fingers would light up like sparklers.
Her mana was starting to wane at this point so she knew she had to end the performance with a bang.
Olrion took ahold of her hat and tossed it into the air and while the audience was distracted she took a bite into her arm and transformed into a small bat.
Flying up to catch her hat, she flew over the heads of the audience; dipping, and diving with a trail of flames behind her. She soon gently landed on the stage being completely obscured by the hat. In one last blast of flames, the small bat was replaced by the 5'11" woman from before. Olrion took a final bow and stepped off the stage, any remaining small flames that may have been left behind would extinguish themselves. It was gonna be a hard act to follow up on she thought while returning to her seat. Olrion didn't check beforehand if there were any cameras in the room (Not that she knew what a camera was anyway) but for now, she was satisfied.

Chum Teeth & Kelpie
Trust and trouble.

The two goblins couldn’t help but be taken aback. They were only barely getting used to the concept of film and TV, and now they could be going on there to answer questions? And then there were the other goblins. The survivors of the Black Maw. Lots of questions on both sides, there.

“I don’t know about an... Interview? But if she knows what she wants to ask, we could look at the questions and make a better informed decision about it?”
“Yeah, that’s smart! But... I dunno about the other gobs.”
“What? Chum, they were practically our cell mates! We were ALL prisoners on that damned ship. I was, too. Why are you worried?”
“I changed a bit. I been free a long time. An’ I took so long to get back... Hell, the Cap’n tried to solve this behind my back! I know everyone thinks I’m a hero, but-“
“Shush. You are a hero. My hero. What’s the phrase? ‘Better late than Never’?”
“Kelp... Okay. We’ll give em a talking to... Tomorrow. Or whenever. We’re tired.”
“We?”
“I’m tired?”

The two nodded and held each other close, Chum’s eyes fluttering, threatening to shut for the night. Kelpie tried to look awake, but even she had to stifle a yawn.

“Bein’ on humie hours is hard... s’posed to be night folk.”
“That we are, Chum. That we are.”

Matthew had learned to make it a point to wear sunblock when going to these shows. He had come away sunburned far too many times. Olrion’s pyrotechnic display was still painful. But that wasn’t what bothered him. Even the transformation act wasn’t enough to bring a smile back to his face. He was looking far from happy when she returned. He stood as she approached and turned to everyone.

“So sorry everyone. She doesn’t understand.” He grimaced at her and gestured for them to leave. “Let’s step out!” The look on his face said he was as close to furious as he could get. (Not true.) But he did his best to remain stoic.

When they made it out of the room he turned on her. “That was embarrassing. A friend of mine was making a performance tonight. He’s been practicing since he was a kid so sick he could leave a clean room. His sister sacrificed everything to keep him alive. He used to do his tricks just to entertain her. Those were the warm up acts. Warm up does NOT mean burn the house down!” He had begun pacing back and forth. Matthew was manic depressive.

“The adults know it is fake. But the children don’t! And most humans can’t see the trick. Stage magic is a matter of misdirection. They KNOW it isn’t real. I can see how the tricks are done better than you! But you don’t see me treating them all like … like …”

His mouth opened and Olrion could see his fangs once more. Only this time she had a feeling they were very, very real. The shadows of the room had begun to take on an ominous presence.

He quietly spoke again. “The bat trick wasn’t so bad though. But I am a little sunburned. Your fire tricks were much stronger than I usually watch. I am still trying to figure out if you are a good thing or a bad.” He gestured for the door. “Let’s go. I can apologize to my friend later.”

When they finally made it out onto the streets and were walking along less likely to be overheard by people he pulled out his flask and drank some of his blood. “I suppose I should ask if you need any. I have a few places I keep a supply. People donate blood on this world. They have blood banks.” He chuckled. “And before you ask, no you aren’t allowed to make withdrawals. They aren’t that kind of bank. Only doctors have access. But I do hematology research - science of blood.

“There are people in this world who are destitute. They sell their blood for money. I pay very well for donors and check the blood for contamination myself. Noone thinks anything of it as I am a doctor and researcher.”

He was already starting to calm down. Quick to anger; quick to forgive.

“So … tell me a little about yourself. I know where you are from, it has to be very different from here.”

Maureen Channing’s questions were submitted and ready for review by the time Chum and Kelpie woke up late that afternoon. Dr Fraiser explained that the list was to allow Chum and Kelpie a chance to refuse any questions on the list. It was also so as not to surprise them and give them a chance to think about their responses.

Some of the questions:
What are your favorite things about Earth so far? Least?
What is a typical Goblin’s life like?
Can you favor us with a story about one of your adventures? (Pick one; the show is only so long.)

Do you have any questions about Earth? (Pick a few.)

The other matter - was the other Goblins of the Blackmaw - and even more from other ships that were being rescued. The UN was trying to figure out what to do with all of them. Fact was, they were completely out of place. A very unusual linguist was being summoned from the Boston area to start creating a Goblin language database in an effort to make communication easier - even without the rings. People were trying to figure out where to send all the goblins.

The task fell to Dr Fraiser once more. Once Chum was well and truly awake, she started in with her own questions.

“Chum, what are the favorable conditions under which your people prefer to live. I mean climate, geography and such. Free is not the question. They were that before we even met. Slavery is not legal on this world - at least in all but the most backwards regions. But an idea of setting aside some land for you people is under discussion. We just don’t know what you like. Tropical? Arctic? Desert?”

Chum Teeth & Kelpie
Questions without answers.

The interview questions seemed fine at first. The first one got them talking and laughing about movies, and the second part had them complaining about all the bright lights and flashing “cameras”. But as soon as the second question, they paused. Neither of them lived like normal goblins out in the wild, and even though Chum’s life aboard the Black Maw was typical of those ruled by other groups, it wasn’t how every goblin lived. The last question set to be asked hit the two hard.

“We haven’t ever adventured together, have we?”
“Escaping wasn’t no venture... you ventured before the maw. I ventured after.”
“Hardly. My first real adventure and I get caught by pirates...”
“Maybe... We say no? Skip the whole thing?”
“Probably not fair to her... But we can’t talk to her now, at least. What would we even ask her about... Here?”
“... Nothing nice, I think.”

Kelpie, of course, didn’t see the human war machine outside of those criminals on the other side of the world. Chum had seen iron dragons and rifles that could hit things on the other side of battlefields and gun robots. And still she felt the humans were holding something back. That bomb that was so scary to the humans in that one avengers movie... Kelpie dismissed it as another fiction. The humans acted weird about that. Chum was no longer sure it was “just a plot thing”. It seemed... Real. And a weapon capable of destroying an entire city fit the slowly developing picture Chum had of these terrifying humans. You could stop something like a dragon. But a fictional man with a living suit of flying armor barely redirected that terrible weapon. Could anything “real” stop it?

Dr Fraiser’s questions were a welcome distraction, even if Chum didn’t have any answers.

“Uhh... I... Don’t know?”
“I’m no expert... But Goblins can technically live anywhere. I think we prefer densely forested areas? Possibly with caves? Mountains, maybe foothills? Neither of us have lived “typical” Goblin lives. You might’ve been better off asking them yourself.”
“Yeah. That woulda been smart.”

Olrion

Olrion was confused at first, she had 'mistakenly' thought that the magic show would feature real magic, and that's what the people wanted. As Matthew explained more her head and shoulders would dip more and more in shame. After some period of awkward silence, Matthew would finally break the silence with his offer. It was tempting as she had never tasted real human blood before (the closest being her own but even that would taste differently due to her vampiric nature), most of her extreme hunting days were in her youth when the cravings were new and harder to resist, she started hunting animals to quell them after an incident where she almost bit her mother when being woken up. Nowadays she found herself able to go a month with only minimal blood most of the time. " I didn't know you could get your hands on this here. There wasn't really a safe or legal way to do it where I'm from "
Without an answer, she took ahold of the flask (weather or not Matthew was actually offering that specific flask she didn't actually ask but took his offer as a yes.) She had only intended to take a sip but ended up drinking a lot more than she realized, the flavor was much richer than she was used to compared to all the animals she would hunt or the disgusting taste of her own when she would use it to transform. Actually it was so overwhelming that Olrion ended up coughing from both the taste and from drinking to fast, she passed back the flask.
"Sorry, Um what were you asking? Oh about me? I don't know what to say, my home doesn't look that much different from here actually, the same plants, animals, stars, its everything else that has taken some time to adjust. All these buildings and magic tools you guys have, maybe I was just sheltered more on my old farm but Iv never seen anything like this back home" She glanced at the city around them, "Then again I never saw anything like this at the village by my father's castle either."

"People would have to light the night with fire instead of all of these glowing orbs you guys have. I think our ship was the closest thing in our world that resembles anything from here but even that is considered quite rare over there. I've been working with the group as their mage for only a short time now, but I don't think iv been all that helpful yet." Olrion paused for a moment "I'm sorry about earlier... iv been studying magic for years and its one of the few things I think I'm good at..I think I take too much pride in it... If there is anything I can do to make it up to your friend I'll do it."
Thinking about the events from earlier she finally remembered why she agreed to join Matthew in the first place "Oh right there was something I needed to ask you actually." She pulled out her journal and flipped to her drawings of the beholders from earlier that day, "Earlier today we were brought in to be questioned about the beholder attack, they were all suddenly taken out rather quickly and based on injuries it was not by human hands. I know what vampires are capable of and you looked rather strong earlier so I wanted to know if you knew anything about it, or maybe knew someone who could have been involved?" She presented the drawings to him.

Matthew snatched a picture and studied it briefly and casually. “Beholder? That’s what they are called?” He turned his gaze on Olrion, his eyes still hidden by his sunglasses (even at night). “Maybe?” It looked like he was attempting a poker face, but he sucked at those. He couldn’t seem to keep staring at her and looked away, a sure tell for the fact that she had hit on a truth.

“I’m NOT a vampire exactly. I mean Earth has all sorts of vampires. There are Goths who drink blood. Most people think I am one of those. Those are just confused humans. Then there is you. You are the reason I checked out your group. I wanted to find out if you were a real vampire - or a hybrid. You are a hybrid. Here those are extremely rare. I only know of two. Both have the same mother, different fathers. Their mother is a very real and powerful vampire who has found a way to become mortal briefly - long enough to bear a child. She tried to raise them as her slaves. But they escaped.

“Then there are the Kindred - true vampires who are undead. There are two main factions that I know of. Two of those are the Sabbat and Camarilla. Your arrival is about to change them. You see the Camarilla practices something they call the Masquerade. They hide from humans to avoid being hunted heavily. The Sabbat don’t care as much about that. The Camarilla have strict rules on creating ner kindred. The Sabbat less so.

“But most vampires aren’t strong enough to do what was done to the Beholders. Neither can they fly. In fact, very few can turn into bats. Most of those abilities are Hollywood hype based on the abilities of a very few legendary vampires. No, the guy you are looking for is one of those hybrids.

“The Beholders invaded and started attacking people on the streets. Shadowhawk HAD to do something about them. I don’t like people I care about being hurt. I lost a good friend not so long ago. Some of my friends on the streets are just kids - or some of those people who donate blood.”

Matthew looked all around suspiciously. “Can you keep a secret?” He opened his black duster enough to reveal the black T-shirt underneath. It was one of the black and white Superman logo T-shirts. He lowered his voice to a hoarse whisper. “I’m really a superhero.”

++++++++++++++++++++

Dr Fraiser nodded and took notes. “I don’t know about caves - or even forest. But I get the impression that goblins can adapt. There are a couple tentative locations humans are looking to to house the goblin and similar populations. The question is one of whether they will be able to live together - or begin fighting.

“One of the sites located close is Plum Island. Another - much more built up is Riker’s Island. Riker’s was a prison - the whole island. But it has been closed down as a prison. The cells - by human standards - are small. But to goblins they should be spacious. But wherever we place your people, we need to consider the future. Whatever place we set aside will be considered a territory - and eventually possibly a nation. We are thinking ahead. The problem with the islands is the limits of agriculture - food. We hope to make you self-sustaining. When can arrange some tours if you like.

“I suppose we also need to re-unite you with your people. You may not think you have a place among them. But I get the sense that they look to you for unity.”

////

Maureen Channing didn’t take no for an answer, but asked to speak off camera instead. She explained what “off the record” so they could have normal conversations. She had questions both on and off camera and seemed much better at understanding the goblins that most humans. Among her questions were relevant ones like asking about them being nocturnal. To that she explained that it was a fact they should just tell people. In the long run humans would adjust their schedule to the comfort of their guests.

“You should also know that humans - especially New Yorkers - tend to be romantics. They love it when the little guy - or gal - wins against the odds. Chum, your mission to rescue Kelpie has reached humans mostly as rumor. But they love the story. And I hear you are quite good at telling stories.” She smiled, “although, they do seem to evolve over time. But you still tell them well.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back