Experiences Spelling, grammar and punctuation pet peeves!

Run-on sentences - especially run-on sentences with hundreds of ellipses where a nice full stop (aka period) would make more sense and read better.

Run-on sentences - especially run-on sentences with hundreds of ellipses where a nice full stop (aka period) would make more sense and read better.
-is a big fan of run-on sentences-
>>
<<
-whistles innocently-

-is a big fan of run-on sentences-
>>
<<
-whistles innocently-

Run-on sentences can be fine in some circumstances ... like when you really need to talk about your character walking into a bar while wearing shoes and buying a drink for himself and his friends ... but then he's interrupted by two people laughing loudly next to him so he goes over and tells them to be quiet ... and they both give him a look to tell him not to poop their party and he feels somewhat annoyed by this so he leaves them his magic coin that will turn whoever spends it into an Albanian monkey frog that usually lives in the forests of Albania ... and things like that it can be very important that you use a run-on sentence so that everyone understand exactly what you mean.

But otherwise, no. XD

Run-on sentences can be fine in some circumstances ... like when you really need to talk about your character walking into a bar while wearing shoes and buying a drink for himself and his friends ... but then he's interrupted by two people laughing loudly next to him so he goes over and tells them to be quiet ... and they both give him a look to tell him not to poop their party and he feels somewhat annoyed by this so he leaves them his magic coin that will turn whoever spends it into an Albanian monkey frog that usually lives in the forests of Albania ... and things like that it can be very important that you use a run-on sentence so that everyone understand exactly what you mean.

But otherwise, no. XD
XD Ok I don't think I ever do anything quite like that ;P
(Well at least I hope not x.x )

-Using double negatives(even in music and poetry it annoys me tbh)
Well I mean, if you’re writing a dialect that doesn’t see it as a problem, I don’t think it’s an issue. But having a character belt out “There isn’t no other way!” or something along the lines of that with no rhyme or reason other than bad grammar, yea..

Well I mean, if you’re writing a dialect that doesn’t see it as a problem, I don’t think it’s an issue. But having a character belt out “There isn’t no other way!” or something along the lines of that with no rhyme or reason other than bad grammar, yea..

Dialects are literally the only exception to this that I accept in writing. Other than that it's a huge pet peeve of mine.

I'm a sucker for good punctuation.

I used to have more pet peeves but life on the internet has worn most of them off. At this point, most of the people on RP forums are people who've grown up reading books. I don't think it's unreasonable for people who read books to write the same way.

As for dialects, having to parse strange punctuation to read the 'sound' of the dialect is usually more distracting than it is awesome. Personal taste is write with conventional punctuation but slip in the (occasional) slang word now and then. Someone who describes an elevator as a lift or says "I might have done" instead of "I might have" gets an English accent across just fine.

Not as much in grammar but more in style, this had been a pet peeve for quite a while, both in rp and fanfics.

Using foreign language words for no reason. Usually this appears when it's in some anime or Japanese setting...
When things like "konnichiwa minnasan" and stuff like that appears randomly in text for no reason.

I'm fine with that if it's some foreign exchange student character who doesn't know language of the country the story takes place.
I'm fine when people use honorifics like Sakura-chan etc because honorifics are not really translatable and can be important.
I'm also fine with usage of specific terms like "seiza" or "haori" etc like okay, you don't have to give a long-winded explanation of what this is, the terms exist and it's fine to use them.

But things like "good morning" or "hello" that are included in foreign language for no reason irk me. If the whole plot is set in Japan it's kinda natural to assume all characters speak Japanese, no need to mix Japanese with English for trivial words.

As for grammar, I'm just +1 to there/they're and rouge lol
It can be typos sometimes but when it's a consistent mistake it gets on my nerves a bit.

I'd forgotten until you mentioned it just now.

An in person pet peeve related to this topic is listening to an English speaker say something's 'uber'. English already has a word for 'over', 'above' or 'super'. Those words are 'over', 'above' and 'super'. Using a foreign word to say something there's already an English word for it is supposed to be emphatic, I guess, but it mostly makes me think the speaker doesn't actually know anything.

Thankfully, the company Uber has effectively changed common parlance to instead substitute for 'taking a rideshare'.

I'm a sucker for good punctuation.

I used to have more pet peeves but life on the internet has worn most of them off. At this point, most of the people on RP forums are people who've grown up reading books. I don't think it's unreasonable for people who read books to write the same way.

As for dialects, having to parse strange punctuation to read the 'sound' of the dialect is usually more distracting than it is awesome. Personal taste is write with conventional punctuation but slip in the (occasional) slang word now and then. Someone who describes an elevator as a lift or says "I might have done" instead of "I might have" gets an English accent across just fine.

Can you explain the "I might have done"/"I might have" distinction to me? As a British English speaker I don't get it.

Can you explain the "I might have done"/"I might have" distinction to me? As a British English speaker I don't get it.
This conversation in American English:
"Did you steal the bacon and pancakes from my plate while I wasn't looking?"
"I might have."

This conversation in British English:
"Did you steal the bangers and mash from my plate while I wasn't looking?"
"I might have done."

(The food stereotypes were used purely for comedic effect, but you get the idea ;P )

This conversation in American English:
"Did you steal the bacon and pancakes from my plate while I wasn't looking?"
"I might have."

This conversation in British English:
"Did you steal the bangers and mash from my plate while I wasn't looking?"
"I might have done."

(The food stereotypes were used purely for comedic effect, but you get the idea ;P )

Hmm... people tend to use those interchangeably here. I did not know that Americans don't use the second one at all.

Imagine my shock when I found out about different British/American use of "quite". Mind blowing. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back