• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Spellbound

OOC
Here
Lore
Here
“Alright.” Cory took a step to the side. This being an experiment meant he had to keep his trigger finger steady. So while he had his gun, he only kept his hand on the hilt, ready for a quick draw. Cory wasn’t often the one to shoot. More of a tracker than a gunman. But he had a decent shot.

They didn’t need to wait long. Whatever questions they had about what would take place were soon answered in a matter of minutes. The old man’s fingers clenched, then spread wide. His whole body began to shake and shiver. But he was not cold in the slightest. The man's skin flushed deep red, then began to purple. “Gaaah!” Mr. Chekov exhaled hoarsely. His eyelids popped open to their limit. Red bursts appeared in his sclera. His wild gaze found the two. Confusion flitted across his features, melding into fury.

Instinctively, Rosalie took a step back from his shaking body and abandoned the now empty syringe on the ground. Her brows furrowed together as she watched the shade of his skin shifting, keeping a narrative for now since his screams were too loud for her to voice them aloud to her computer. She hesitated, fingers finding the capped syringe in her pocket but wanting to see if the serum could incapacitate the mage. Still, in her gut she already knew something had gone wrong.

Cory glanced between Rosalie and the mage. Something in her expression concerned him. But he wasn’t lab savvy. Perhaps this was a thing? Cory felt unnerved. His instincts were ringing in his head. Just as he thought he’d go ahead and pull his gun out, Mr. Chekov’s right arm yanked from where it had been strapped down. The strength it must have taken to do that alarmed Cory. There was a moment's hesitation before he aimed for the old man's head.

THUMP!
BAM!

Cory felt the weight of a nearby table slam against his body. The young man stumbled, but he kept a grip on his gun. The shot he popped off grazed the older man's cheek. The blood seeped unnaturally easy from the wound. It bubbled and steamed as if his insides were acidic. Cory recovered his stance, but before either of them could do anything, a gust of wind pulsed over the two of them, just to give Mr. Chekov some time to work on freeing his foot.

Cory tucked and rolled with the supernatural shove. The young man, now on his knees, raised his gun again. Clearly the only visible threat to him, the mage focused on the hunter with the gun, though Rosalie was closest to him despite the windy push.

Mr. Chekov shakily raised his hand again. A chunk of the floor flew up to block two shots, Then that bulky load went straight at Cory's hand, knocking the gun out of his fingers.

"Ah!" Cory grit his teeth in pain. He opened one eye to see Mr. Chekov make an arching motion with his hand.

Several heavy items, unblessed and unsealed, came flying at Cory. Many of them lethal if they hit hard enough.

The force of the wind knocked Rosalie off her feet, her face grazed by the floor she fell into. Wincing, she felt a slight disorientation from the contact, though the sound of the room being torn apart was soon enough to get her moving again. One look told her the mage was freed and clearly not inhibited by the serum he'd been injected with. Reaching into her lab coat, she came up empty handed, the milky-filled syringe lost in her tumble.

A glimmer of silver out the corner of her eye turned her head to find it had rolled under the chair, just behind the mage's line of sight. The room was shaking from the force of him trying to defend himself, eyes set on Cory. Regretting the fact that her own gun was a half mile away, useless in a locked desk drawer, she lunged for the syringe, just barely snatching it with her finger tips. The cap was popped off with her thumb as she shoved herself to an upright position, gripping the arm of the chair as she slammed the needle into Mr. Chekov's throat, unceremoniously shooting it's contents into him.

While the first injection had failed, the second was fool proof. No living being, mage or otherwise, would last more than a couple of seconds as the chemical forced itself into the mage's body. His heart stopped and with it the force of the Almaeri he controlled, his body going limp just as the aerial weapons dropped to the ground with loud thuds. Rosalie only hesitated a second to ensure the mage was dead before racing through the chaos of the lab to find Cory, her heart racing.

"Cory!" she gasped as she fell beside him, her lower lip trembling as her chocolate eyes scanned him. "Are you okay? Fucking Christ, I'm so sorry!"

“Ah…” Cory gasped at the pain in his wrist. Thankfully it was his left. “I-I’m alright.” He eased up with Rosalie’s help. “Are you alright?” He breathed, checking her over. His eyes wandered then, looking around. It was clear which of the items were spiritually protected and which weren’t. Cory had no negative judgment, there could be any reason. What did come to mind was how messy the lab had gotten. “Oh Rosy, I-- I’m sorry about your lab. I should have shot when I-- I should have been faster.” He frowned.

She quickly brushed aside his apology, gingerly taking his left hand into both of hers so she could look closely at his wrist. "They're just things, they can be replaced," she dismissed the material mess that was no doubt a product of her own negligence. "You can't, though. Are you sure you're fine? Not disoriented or feeling nauseous? God, if something happened to you..." Her guilt would grow tenfold, and likely earn her a good amount of angered elite hunters that would be less likely to contribute to her experiments. More importantly though, she didn't want to come to terms with the idea that another person she cared for could be hurt.

“It’s just bruised.” Cory caught the worry in her expression, and both felt the urge to console her, and to bask in the warmth that she cared at all. It wasn’t so much a surprise, they got along. It was just that he hadn’t been so close for so long. Cory missed Rosalie’s presence. Over the weeks he had built up some confidence, despite his initial fumbling. He had even practiced a few ‘moves’. Cory used his uninjured hand to tilt her chin up, “It’s alright Rosy. As long as you are.”

Her gaze was gently redirected from his hand to her face and she could feel her body suddenly more aware of their close proximity. Despite it being months ago, the Hunter's Ball was still fresh in her mind and her body hadn't seemed to forget it either, her heart skipping as she gave him a soft smile. "Only my dignity took a hit, but that'll recover," she murmured in reassurance, still keeping hold of his hand.

And that was about all the moves Cory got down. Here, in this moment when she was so close, and he smiled pleasantly, and she finished talking, he found words caught in his throat. The practice runs he had done didn’t seem to fit quite in this moment, besides one, and he wasn’t sure being in a room with a dead guy and messy lab was the right place for a kiss. But the one thing Cory dreaded was awkward silence. He felt that spelled doom for more than one kind of mood. So, his brain, ever his awful friend, decided spouting words was better than nothing.

“I’m glad your dignity was hit and not you--” That didn't’ sound right, “I mean, I-- not, that you-- I want your dignity intact, I don’t want it hit, but I’m happy you didn’t get physically-- cause the things flying--” Cory breathed in a slight panic, “I hope it’s a quick recovery--- It probably will be, you’re a strong person-- no worries here-- Well, I do worry-- Well, I mean I care--I just,--- so yeah.”

She couldn't help but grin as he went off on yet another spiral of his own thoughts. "I'm glad you care, Cory," she said in an attempt to calm him down, finally releasing her hold on his wrist. Her hands moved instead to the collar of the lab coat he had donned, wiping some debris off and straightening it. "You don't look half-bad in a lab coat. Like a...young Mark Ruffalo. Though you always seem to end up in a mess because of me, which we really shouldn't make a habit out of."

Cory breathed, relaxing. Seeing Rosalie take his goof in stride eased his beating heart. He thoroughly enjoyed her attention, “I want to make habits with you.” It kind of slipped out. Cory spoffed, “Well, maybe not this kind.” He looked around. Then he smiled back down at her, “Maybe we can meet up once in a while. For food, or maybe a movie.”

"I would like that quite a lot actually," she agreed, breaking her gaze off him to look down at her watch. It was getting late, but maybe.. "Are you going to be around for long? It's probably too late to ask you to do anything tonight, especially after I nearly got you killed, but if you plan on being in town for a couple of days, maybe we can work on that habit?" She wasn't exactly worried about the warehouse; someone would be sent to clean it and there was nothing left to risk her research. The computer that was taking down her information was smashed against a wall a few feet from them, the data at least secured on a cloud.

“Yeah, for a while. Tonight would be great, really.” Cory decided, just then, and immediately went to make sure the room was made on his phone. “Mhm, I am coincidentally available for a few days.” Cory tucked his phone and flashed a delighted smile, “I’ll be at a hotel nearby. So, not far if you need me. Unless you want to go somewhere now?”

Her own joy was visible at the news that he wasn't about to turn around and hop on a plane. "Now is perfect, as long as you're not too tired," she said a bit quickly, easing her way around the mess about them until she was at the door. Rosalie might not have had Wesley's refined tastes when it came to restaurants, but she did know where they could sniff out a damn good burger at nearly midnight. Late nights working might have been a key factor in that.

After eating he insisted to get her home before they wound up in a repeat of passing out together outside. Rosalie didn't hesitate to declare that was a fate she was comfortable with having. In the end they fell into a compromise, laying together across a hotel bed while listening to the other talk of their passions. Sleep found them not unlike the Hunter's Ball, nestled together clothed beneath a blanket. It was an unexpected form of comfort Rosalie found in Cory and his presence, one she suspected he shared as they enjoyed a few days in each other's company. Their time ended with the promise that they'd put aside work now and then to make a habit of visiting each other, news their families would both be thrilled to eventually find out.

Last edited:
Wesley got out of his Tesla and pulled out his custom-built phone while he walked up to Dr. Kobayashi’s clinic to check his messages. The noonday sun glinted off of his stylish sunglasses. There were a few from Everest he had to answer. The poor guy was nervous. They had found no dirt on these Russians. Everything checked out. The rate that they got sick, their finances, their records-- all of it came out as average as the usual mundie. Even Cory said Granya, who he had as a pawn, didn’t scream Mage to him. But, just to be sure and to give them some peace of mind, Wesley agreed to drop in for a visit since he had a contact in Seabrook. Especially since they hadn’t gotten an RSVP.

Wesley:
Hey Sweet-cheeks, I’m in town for work, thought I’d steal you for dinner. Sunday @8 good for you?​

Willow:
Oh damn, and here I thought Inara had you busy full-time making kids. 8 works great - mind if I bring someone with me? I think you'd like to meet them.

Wesley:
The more the merrier! I hear you have a Russian hunk and a Southern Bell you've been keeping all to yourself. ;D I'll send the address.​

Willow:
I'll never understand how you know everything, but something tells me it's the family business put to use. Can't wait to see you again!
:closed eyes open smile:

Wesley:
Oh lord, you got me figured out! D:
Wesley:
LOL Me too darling! :blowkiss:

Wesley tucked his phone away and opened the door. The little bell rang. A shorter man, black haired with light creasing at the edges of his eyes, came out holding a clipboard. “Do you have an appoint--” The doctor blinked in astonishment, “Lord Cromwell.”

“Von Helsing, Doctor. I sent an email.” Wesley corrected him.

The transfer of two-thirds of the family business to Cory had been handed over on his eighteenth birthday. Wesley thought it would please his father to know a ‘true’ Cromwell would head the family legacy. It had been a rough several weeks handling the whole scandal. A drama kept silent from the community. Some people were surprised at the split in the empire, what with Wes and Inara taking the brunt of the private police, they figured it must be some kind of compromise due to bad blood between the Von Helsing’s and the Cromwell family that the Romeo and Juliet had to deal with for their love.

Wesley smiled and pulled off his shades. “Sorry if I took you by surprise, I was nearby. Thought I’d check up on you. How’s my favorite vet contact?”

Wordless, the doctor slipped his clipboard beneath a stack of papers. Finally, he found his speech, “I am fine.” He eased himself into his roller chair at the front desk. A few barks sounded off in the back, “How are you and the family?”

“Oh they’re great.” Wesly came up and rested his arms on the counter, “But I want to talk about you.” He smiled, “Heard you have hired on some new help. Got anything to tell me about them?”

Dr. Kobayashi folded his hands in front of him, “Nothing of note. Dr. Drozdov and Dr. Hale are skilled vets. Business has been good.”

Wesley studied the doctor a moment. His cold eyes evaluated the twitch of the doctor's mouth, the perspiration on his brow. Both could be due to the Texas heat and the unexpected visit, “Well, that’s good.” He pat the counter once, straightening, “I trust you’ll let me know if anything comes up. I mean, it would be silly not to, knowing the consequences.” He let that hang in the air.

“Of course.” The doctor inclined his head in agreement.

“I’ll let you go. Those dogs sound like they need some attention.” Wesley winked, turning away with a confident step.

Once Wesley got into his car and drove off, the loud R&B music fading away, Dr. Kobayashi took back the clipboard he had hidden. Pages of his notes were pinched by a metal clip in place. A few of them listed days extraordinary healing occurred for a few pets under Dr. Drozdovs care. She had done more than impress him, both as a doctor and as a person. And man, no one made tea like Natalia. Dr. Kobayashi’s mind recalled rainy days, when she handed him a cup without having to ask for one. Or when he had been unable to save an older cat, how she offered words of comfort. It made it all the more painful when he discovered the pattern. The doctor's gaze slowly rose to the two scarlet macaws that peered at him with intelligent eyes.

Wesley had been clear about betrayal. Dr. Kobayashi had been given more than enough reason to believe he'd deliver on these 'consequences'. The doctor held the clipboard in indecision.

Sunday, July 29th, 2018

Molly sat in front of an easel. Her long brush artfully swiped golden paint on the canvas nearly half as tall as herself. They had a couple more days left before Lyov’s birthday. It was going to be a grand event! Everyone who knew him or about him was going to be at the Old Bear. While they had no obligation to give a gift, Molly had been inspired. She paused her picture of the Old Bear, as she had once thought to make nearly a year ago, to work on a piece that came to her in a dream.

Most of the canvas showed a golden starburst with a center as pale as the full moon. Dark hands, colored in shades of brown and deep purples, posed just below it as if holding a staff of light. Somehow, deep inside, Molly found this image gave her peace. And of all the people she knew, she believed Lyov deserved it most.

The other pictures she had been sketching laterly were tucked into a black folder. Molly felt she couldn’t throw them away, though they filled her with dread. More images of Mamon, some of a strange humanoid with several arms that Micha called a ‘Sokar’, and now, out of nowhere, she had been seeing parts of some symbol. Just flashes of it like a puzzle. Molly didn’t want to draw them. She fought it. But it would itch and nag at her, like a mosquito bite, until she finally let it out on paper. The starburst had been a welcome change.

“Mollyshka, get washed; the time.” Micha said, pulling on a nice shirt.

“The time?” Molly glanced at the clock, “Oh shit, you’re right!” It had only just been lunch. Or so it felt. Molly hastily washed her brushes and went to handle herself in the bathroom. By the time she got out she saw a text on her phone.

Theo:
You guys are gonna be late!

Molly:
Stars, sorry, I was painting. >.< We won’t be late! Just go ahead. We’ll meet you two there.​

Theo:
Because you’ll be late? :P

Molly:
I swear, Theo!​

Theo:
LOL!

Molly stowed her phone and ran around naked like a chicken with her head cut off. Micha had seen enough of her not to be distracted to the point of unproductivity, but he didn’t turn his nose up at watching when he stood ready at their door. At the moment she was struggling to choose between a dress or a classy skirt and shirt.

Micha chuckled, “Mollyshka, we gonna be late.”

“We’re not gonna be late, Micha!” Molly pursed her lips.

Once Molly got herself dressed she grabbed her makeup bag and ran down the steps. Liam nearly ended up sprawled on the floor like a mat when she bumped into him. Molly shouted a quick apology as she hustled to the good old Accord. Micha gave the disoriented Liam a pat on his shoulder. They come to like the ivory man. He was as secretive as ever, but he made good on his word several times over. Their only complaint would have to be his health. The man got random, powerful colds that put him in bed for stretches of time. But they’d forgiven that. He had been a great help at the pub and even had patience to deal with Sadie.

Micha arrived to the car to the sound of sarcastic honking, “Ah ha, I see, I am the late one eh?”

Molly grinned, shifting proudly in the driver's seat, “Yup.” She nodded, “Get in here, sexy. We don't want to be late.”

The Accord pulled out of the parking lot like a devil from hell. The Southern Bell boasted a record of the fewest traffic tickets and the fastest ride. On the way Micha asked about Wesley. Molly told him all she knew. Wesley’s family had been family friends. Their parents set them up on a date, and even though Willow was determined not to like it, or him, she had a great time. They didn’t work out, but they stayed friends. Wesley had wealth, a career in tech and law enforcement, and he was hot to boot. They say his charm was his most prominent atribute. Due to life happening Molly hadn’t met him yet. This would be the first time.

Micha muttered, “I bet he can’t cook though.”

Molly chuckled, “Are you jealous?”

“No.” Micha puckered out his lower lip in obvious annoyance.

Molly turned to look at Micha, ready to either tease or comfort him, but neither would happen. BOOF! HONK! The Accord had not been on the wrong side of the road. Molly had enough skill not to make these kinds of mistakes. But, it didn’t matter. One second was all it took. She had been over the speed limit and the car that hit them had changed lanes without their blinker. Micha instinctively threw out his arm over Molly. By magic they didn’t kareen off the bridge over the narrow gap between their side of Seabrook and the other where they meant to meet up at the Eculent restaurant. They came to a stop at the side.

“Mollyshka! You okay?” Micha asked, leaning over her.

Molly groaned, more in frustration than anything, “Yes, I’m okay. Just a slight headache.” She accepted a kiss from Micha before they got out to assess the damage. The front of the Accord was crushed. Molly’s eyes teared, “Damn it! No!” She bent forward over her car. “I loved you.” She whispered.

Micha met with the man who collided with them, “What you doing, huh!? What was that?!?”

An uncomfortable exchange began. Molly took out her phone to let them know they were fine, but the car was as good as done. There were a lot of sad cry faces sent to Willow. And the suggestion-- no, the promise-- that they would bury a piece of it in the ground and sing ‘Amazing Grace’.

Theo, who just pulled into the parking lot, pulled out his phone to read the messages. “I want to say she’s is gonna be late now, but, I don’t think I can get away with it and feel good.” He sighed.

Last edited:
Willow's excitement over seeing Welsey was unconstrained the day of their dinner. She had told likely every story she could think of, well those that weren't already discussed on the yacht party. It felt like ages since she had last seen him, and in truth it had been over 4 years now since her graduation. The delight of rekindling old friendships and also having him meet the new chapter of her life meant Theo wasn't left waiting for her to get ready like poor Micha. She'd settled for the blue halter dress she'd worn to Granya's birthday and might have given Theo a bit of help dressing (despite urges to do otherwise).

Seeing the messages from Molly as he parked and she was giving herself a final glance in the mirror made her heart drop. Thankfully, they were fine, but that was still horrible. "Yeah, I wouldn't bring it up quite yet. She's in mourning," she said as she looked at the front door of the restaurant. "Do you think we should tell Wes we're going to be late and go get them?" She was torn between that and having to promise Molly yet again that she'd have to meet him next time.

Theo agreed he should wait to tease. Today they lost a friend. It felt like a chapter in Molly’s life, one that had been a part of Willow’s too, had closed by the death of the old white Accord. “Micha texted they will get Lyft.” He showed his screen to Willow, “Is just arguing right now with man who crashed them.” It may take them a little while, but Molly and Micha still planned on coming.

"Well, I suppose we'll have to just get started without them," she decided, moving to open her door. Depending on how long it'd be or how long Wesley had, they might postpone eating a bit, but there was nothing wrong with a drink in the meantime and catching up. She waited for him at the front of the car, looping her arm through his. "Are you ready to meet a Lord then, Doctor Al-Zakhar?"

Theo had learned that being a ‘Lord’ didn’t mean a tyrannical monster bent on eating your children. So he smiled, “I am, future Mrs. Doctor Al-Zakhar.” He wiggled his brows. A thing he did out of humor, since Molly did it a lot to Willow to make her besty blush. Though he didn’t always get the timing right.

"Mmm, I do love the way that sounds," she said, rising up on her toes for a moment to place a kiss on his cheek before the two headed inside. They were greeted by a perfectly dressed host and after identifying their party name were whisked away at the disapproval of those left waiting. Willow imagined even if they'd been the first to arrive there wouldn't have been much waiting.

Theo happily exchanged a kiss, “I like what will be your name a little better.” he purred.

The Eculent was on-brand for the kind of swanky, classy joints Wesley picked when he had to go fancy. Few knew his little ‘spot’s around town he found when being adventurous. While the music didn’t match Wesley’s style, the atmosphere and elegant setting did. When Theo and Willow said they were here for a reservation with Wes, the staff brightened and guided them to an elevated terrace overlooking the water. Indeed, they earned a few glares. The line for the restaurant was almost as stuffed as the Old Bear.

Theo and Willow stepped onto a beautiful deck of dark oak. Their table, set for five, ran alongside the rail. Lights strung overhead in graceful arches. Their reflection danced in the rippling dark water. Music that encouraged a casual, comfortable mood, played from an unknown source.

At their presence, the man sitting on the end looking down their direction stood up, “Sweet Willow, as I live and breath!” Wesley came to greet her first, giving her a friendly embrace. Then he turned to Theo, “This must be the dashing Russian Rogue. Dr. Theo Al-Zakhar.” He offered a handshake.

Theo took it, giving him a strong up bob of their hands, “Da, and you Lord Von Helsing. I hear so much. So glad to meet you.”

“I hope I live up to it! I’m sure some of what you’ve heard may be too flattering.” Wesley guided them to their seats, “I was promised a Southern Bell, Sweet Willow.” He grinned at her. “And her Confident Cook.”

Willow took her seat after the embrace that wasn't quite as powerful as Micha or Theo's but still had quite a bit of strength to it. "You were promised, and on any other day I would promptly deliver, however, Molly and Micha had an accident on the way here. They're fine, thank God, but will be a bit late joining us. Her old rackety car has had seen it's last days, sadly."

After offering his sympathy for their predicament, Wes said, “Well then, we’ll hold off as long as we can.” Wesley placed his menu to the side. “Please, look over the options. I have had enough time to choose.”

Theo decided that was a fine idea, popping his velvet fold open to view the expensive meals listed in swirling letters, “What you recommend?”

“Actually I haven’t been here before.” Wesley admitted, “Usually I like to feel out a place by ordering their ribeye. Medium, pink not bloody.” He took a sip of water, “If they do a good job I put it on my list.”

“Ah, the famous list.” Theo had known about Wesley’s propensity to collect the whereabouts of good food.

Wesley grinned, “Indeed! It’s almost foolproof.” He chuckled, keeping a careful eye on Theo as he said, “Willow has truly spilled the tea about me.” Those coffee eyes tipped and spilled over her, “I must say, Sweet Willow, I am starved for a good brew myself.” Then he noticed it. The light glinted off the stone hung on her finger. Wesley sat back, stunned, “Well, as they say in the south, I’ll be damned. Is that an engagement ring I see?”

Her eyes followed his down and a smile spread across her lips, nodding. "Why you don't miss a thing, Lord Wesley James Crom- Von Helsing," she corrected herself, still unsure about rattling off a new name. Granted, it was at least shorter than when it had been hyphenated. She happily brought the ring into proper viewing space, looking at Theo with pure adoration. "Turns out I stumbled into the right pub to find a Russian rogue worth keeping. We're getting married next June."

“Oh you don’t know how delighted I am to be the first to know.” Wesley grinned, leaning to insect the ring with an eye as careful as a jeweler. Satisfied for what he may or may not have found, Wes eased back and swept those dark eyes onto Theo, “Doubtless, this speaks of your quality as a man, Theo. Congratulations to the both of you. I expect an invitation, I hope you know.” Wesley met the Russian Rogue in a smile as charming as a Cheshire cat, “I hope the rest of us will have the opportunity to meet with you.” Wes gave Willow a perked brow and a grin, “Everest is positively miserable waiting on your RSVP.”

Willow was delighted by his blessing, taking a sip of water at the mention of an invitation. She'd been expertly skirting around the idea of inviting family when it'd been brought up and now she felt a bit shameful that Wesley and his family hadn't been mentioned either way. Perhaps that was just an innate knowledge that if he invited him there would be no reason not to invite Everest as well. The trickle effect would hit, and no doubt soon her past life would crowd around her side of the aisle.

"We haven't discussed invites yet, so we'll leave your dinner choice to be the determining factor of whether you'll earn one or not," she smirked, though it was only a momentary question before moving on the much closer wedding at hand. She didn't put it past Everest to have sent Wesley down to Texas for this exact reason, though she wasn't making communications any earlier. Her tongue wasn't as guarded as it had been in her youth and she called him out on just that. "Why do I have a feeling that you are here as a part of some bromance pact to my brother, Wes?"

“Because our undying love is only barred by familial expectations and our thirst for the affections of the opposite sex.” Wesley chuckled, trying to tame his mirth to appear serious and solemn, “My desire to please my unspoken lover is almost as strong as my admiration, and complete respect for the beauty and intelligence I see in you.” And it made it all the more true, knowing Wesley did genuinely think so about Willow.

Theo laughed, “He is speak fancy words, like you say.” He nudged Willow, delighted as if he had just witnessed a majestic animal in the wild. The kind only rumored about up till now.

Wesley smiled, "But I did have work down here, just so you know, Willow Mae Crosse." He playfully said her name.

Willow could only shake her head at his antics, feeling that despite the years he hadn't changed in the slightest. "Work? Did Seabrook find a shortage of cocky, rich men all of a sudden that you had to dash down to fulfill?"

Quick to confirm, Wesley nodded, “And here I have arrived.” He elicited another gawk from Theo, who looked between Willow and Wesley, waiting to see who’d drop the mic, like some rap battle, “Come now, Willow, Everest or not, work or not, I have to say it’s been too long. You got to admit you miss me.” He winked.

"Wesley, I'd rather eat my own tongue than feed that rotten ego of yours," she chuckled, all but ready to swat some sense into him. "I'll tell Inara not to let you out of the house anymore, or better yet get a kennel like any dog should have."

Wesley inhaled, shaking his head, “You’d have the best meal here, I think Theo would agree.” He looked for confirmation.

Theo did that laugh men do when they’re both sharing in an inside joke that they previously had no idea they both knew about. “Da! Is true! Her tongue is very nice.”

Perhaps Wes was in for harem of bromantic men. Wesley grinned at Willow, “But you coming at all has fed my ego for an eternity, no need to worry about it. And even if you won’t admit it, I will-- I missed you, Sweet Willow, and I am glad to be introduced to your fiance.” Wesley turned his head back to Theo, “Sir, you’re welcome to visit my estate anytime. You may need to wait for me to come up to the front if my wife takes Willow’s suggestion to heart.”

Willow couldn't decide if she should be more concerned that the men were getting along as well as they were. She of course had missed him greatly and felt that didn't need to be put to words. "We'll have to see about that. Lord knows if I leave Theo with you too long you'll start wearing off on him. I couldn't imagine two of you!" Theo was already enough of a handful as it was, what with the dreamy gazes he knew could melt her and now adding in the wiggling brows. Still, it was good to know their friendship was steady through the years.

"But as for the wedding, we've been talking about it," she said, though in truth it was more Theo's gentle prodding that had her thinking about it more often. "I'm pretty certain we'd both be able to get time off it's just a weird thought to see everyone again." An old face seemed to bring out the most honest answers that she'd been keeping even from herself. "No matter how miffed he's been at them, I'm sure mom and dad will be there and I doubt that's going to be easy to go through. Plus, I don't even know what his woman is going to be like. Eleanor sounds like a sweet name, but you'd have to be dense or a masochist to put up with Ev."

Wesley nodded in understanding, “Well, Sweet Willow, I have not pushed you before, and I won’t do it now. I trust you will make the best decision.” He said, though of course, he added, “But I hope you know Inara and I will be more than happy to be a buffer. But, if I may be so bold, Theo--” He drew the mans attention, “--you don’t appear to be the kind of man to back down from a fight.”

Theo nodded, “I would stick by Willow side.” He turned a gentle smile to his fiance and gave her hand a squeeze, “Even to the death, I will fight.” he meant is as a figurative tease in regards to Willow parents, and those present at the table knew it (and Willow knew Theo meant literally in regards to bodily dangers), but Fate seemed to have a wicked sense of humor.

Dave, good old honest, reliable Dave, arrived just in time to hear Theo promise his fiance that not only would Theo struggle onward, but he would do so until the last life of a person left them.

A silence followed when Theo met Dave’s eyes. Wesley observed the way the wide-eyed waiter stood, staring dumbly at Theo. The Russian Rogue, sheepishly smiled, “Eh, for Willow, Dave. I fight for her. Is romantic, see?”

Dave cleared his crackling throat, “Sir’s, Madam, may I ask for your drink orders?”

Theo desperately wanted to comfort the man, but it felt out of place, and there was so much to explain, so he sighed, “Just water for now.” He may drink later, if and when Molly and Micha arrived.

“I’ll have the same. We’re still expecting company.” Wesley explained, keeping a studying eye on Dave as the man took Willow's order.

The sight of Dave would have brought an all-out burst of laughter if Willow hadn't swiftly snatched her napkin to cover her mouth and look away. That poor man. How bad was the economy that one had to work in so many different places and how bad was ones luck to wind up seeing them so often? Once she had gathered herself, and stared at the menu rather than meet his eyes, she settled on a sparkling raspberry lemonade. It wasn't as if sticking to just water would speed Micha and Molly up.

Turning to Wesley, she decided to try him for a bit more information on the October wedding. "So you're clearly still foolish enough to fraternize with my brother. I'm guessing you've met his fiance then? It's your turn to spill some tea, Wes," she prodded him for details.

Theo was glad for the moment to be filled with something other than awkward silence between them and Dave once the man left. He joined Willow in interest over the question of Everest’s fiance.

“How to describe a woman as dynamic and complex as Eleanor, hmmm. . .” Wesley tapped his fingers thoughtfully, “She’s more than Everest's equal, both in wit, skill, and beauty. And this is coming from a man who has declared his love for your brother, mind you.” Wesley chuckled, “Ellie is a responsible, reliable woman, who possesses that tamed maternal ferocity only seen in the greatest of women, who know themselves to not worry over how they compare to others.” Adding on to that, and with a light sigh, not unkindly, Wesley said, “I think you’ll be happy to know neither she nor Inara let Ev and I get away with much.”

Even if she still didn't know a single typical fact of the woman who was set to marry her brother in three months, that did speak volumes to her character. "She can keep him from being a prat and keep him out of your charming embrace? That sounds like quite a strong woman indeed," she had to agree. "Although that only makes me wonder what he's done to land someone like that. I honestly never thought he'd get married to anyone besides his work. Before I left for college it was like hell getting him to do much of anything."

“Oh more tea, please, I want to know whatever I can about Everest growing up.” Wesley grinned. Either for personal use for teasing, or worse. “You got to tell me what you’ve tried to get him to do!”

Theo had little information about Everest himself, so he said, “Da, Красивый. Let’s hear some story.” Wes caught the endearment. His own Russian a bit rusty, but he knew the word.

Willow spoffed and shook her head, already able to see the wheels turning in his head. "I can see you plotting already," she said, giving him a warning glance. "If I gave you dirt and it got back to him, he's going to know it's me. After all, I was the only person around when I was 10 and convinced him to play dress-up. The only problem was his thirteen-year-old feet were too big for mom's heels already and he about broke his neck walking in them." Chuckling at the thought of just how annoyed he'd been, not that she laughed but that he couldn't walk as easily as she could in them was quite a moment of reminiscing. "But we were young then and as he got older the time together vanished. Teenage boys, right?"

“So funny!” Theo laughed, imagining it in his head.

Wesley took a mental note of every word, grinning over his water glass when Willow mentioned teens, “Oh yes, indeed.” His coffee eyes trained on Theo, “We’ve said much, Theo, but I still know little about you. Tell me, what were your teen years like?” He asked, chuckling, “Did your sisters get you to play dress-up?”

The Russian family had spent years telling lies. The only times they faltered were with people they intended to be genuine with, and who they hoped would one day learn of their secret. If that was ever possible with Wesley, Theo didn’t know, so he fell into old habits.

“Da, I wish.” Theo shook his head, rubbing his chin, “Anastasia chased me with makeup tin. We not have fancy stuff in Russia.” The little no-account village had little for Wesley and Everest. Most of them were cloistered, suspicious of strangers, and their population fluctuates to the degree that made it hard to find anyone who knew the Russian family. “It stain my skin, I have red lip for days.” He sighed disparagingly.

Wesley took more notes, but for entirely different reasons, “Well I have to meet this woman who managed that!”

Theo quieted, shifting to a somber mood, “Eh, unfortunately, she passed away. Many of my family have died.” He struggled not to frown deeply, “Is hard life in Russia. Many bears, much storm.”

“Oh, forgive me, I did not know.” Wesley lied convincingly. He had to, it was his job. “I hope you have enough alive not to be alone.”

“Da,” Theo nodded, “My Grandpa Lyov, my Uncle Jovan, three of my cousins, and my sister's child. My niece, Granya.” He gave a loose description of them. Wesley noted the last name 'Drozdov' and that Natalia worked as a vet. “They are make life easier.” Then Theo looked to Willow with a smile, “And Willow make life best.”

Wesley looked between the two of them, his own smile a more authentic turn up than what he had been displaying after another moment of careful study, “That is good to know. We care for Willow deeply. I'm happy to see there is love here.” Or so he deduced from this meeting alone. Just as the staff came up with Molly and Micha, Wesley said to Willow, “The two of you will have to visit sometime.” A closer observation in a place with eyes and ears would settle any loose ends and put to bed any lingering fears.

Willow kept a perfect mask while listening to Theo, though she wondered if such a story had been true. For now she would listen to the two of them back and forth, putting a consoling hand on Theo's shoulder as he spoke of losing his family, though she did watch Wesley with interest. It had been a few years now since she'd conversed with him for long, but something felt deeper than just friendly conversation. There was a determination behind those coffee irises she'd gazed into before, but then again maybe it was just the years apart that made it feel so different.

"If work allows, of course," she agreed to Wesley's proposal. "Maybe it's a good thing I didn't tell you of Theo before. Something tells me you'd come equipped with 32 questions for him as well." It was an attempt to lighten the mood as they were joined by Molly and Micha, Willow rising to tug her friend into a hug. She'd have to get more details when it was just the four of them, but for now she had genuine relief for them being okay. "Lord, I'm glad you're both alright," she sighed, keeping her in an embrace for a second longer before letting her go to face the rest of the table.

“Only to expand my list of lovers.” Wesley teased as he stood up out of politeness for the long awaited tardy guests. He respectfully stayed a step back as the women greeted each other first. Taking the opportunity to shake Micha’s hand and exchange salutations.

Molly sighed into Willow’s hair, “Uuugh, my caaaaarr.” She lamented softly. But yes, she did agree it was good they were safe. Molly murmured, “Me too.” before letting go of Willow saying, with an impish grin, “Now where’s the famous Wes--” Molly’s eyes landed the handsome, debonair man, her words caught in her throat like someone had wrapped their hand around her neck and squeezed it shut.

Wesley mused, “Already on a nickname basis? Well I will take that as a compliment.” He took her manly hand and gave it a shake. Beneath his warm fingers he felt cold, clammy skin that trembled ever so slightly, “You must be the famous Southern Bell. The Brawler of Summer Camp. The Hotrod of the streets of Texas.” Wesley noted the paleness in her face, “Darling, did you need more time to wind down from the incident? Pardon me for saying, you don’t look well.” Wesley said it as respectfully as he could, keeping a hold on the hand he shook and slipping the other on her shoulder. All the while Molly’s eyes shimmered in silent horror as she stared at him. Her mouth parted in wordless surprise.

“Mollyshka?” Micha put a hand on the low of her back and that seemed to bring her out of whatever trance she found herself in, giving her what she needed to pull from Wesley and lean on Micha, “You okay?”

“Y-yeah.” Molly swallowed. She glanced between them all, “Stars, yes. Yes, I’m fine. I’ll calm down. I probably just need food.”

Micha smiled hesitantly, “That’s my Myshka. You have not eaten since lunch. Come sit, we order.” He guided his lover to the table.

Willow knew the look of Molly's face but had never seen it so severe before. It was the same look she'd had the first time they'd entered the pub and the morning after her Crow dream. This time though, she wasn't offering up excuses. She played off the uneasiness while they all watched her with worried eyes. "Food and a good drink should help," she agreed softly, though something left her stomach unsettled while they all settled back to their seats. "I'm surprised you didn't whip something up to keep her satiated knowing dinner was going to be late, Micha."

Molly felt like she stepped onto a square of a chess board when she sat down. Something about Wesley unnerved Molly. To the point that she felt her insides churn. Too unsettled to think things through clearly, Molly looked around for an anchor. Something to help her focus. Then she calmed to feel Micha’s hand beneath the table. The indication that she needed his secret support was clear. Molly breathed easier. She faced the trials to come with an upward tilt of her chin. Though she wasn’t an actress, she hoped she wouldn’t end up ruining the evening, “He did, but I was painting.” Often her art took her away. Far into her head and in the clouds where food and drink were obstacles. “I didn’t notice the snack. And he gave up trying to remind me.” The one bonus here was that this was the first time Wesley had met Molly. Everything she did would have to be taken with a grain of salt. There was no previous history to compare her to.

“Oh, that’s right, you’re an artist.” Wesley smiled.

Naturally, Wes expected that Molly would look his way. And she did. But, something in the intensity of her eye told him that whatever she expected of him tonight had become null and void. She didn’t look at him, she was looking into him. Wesley leaned back, his elbow propped on the arm of his chair. While nothing spelled ‘mage’ right off, from any of these new people, he did find Molly’s behavior peculiar.

“Yes, I have always loved to draw and paint.” Molly took up her menu, looking over the options. The others did so too. Though they had time before Micha and Molly arrived, they absentmindedly spent most of that period just talking.

Of course, Wesley had already chosen his meal even before Theo and Willow got to the restaurant. So he asked, “May I ask what had you so enthralled today?”

Molly set her jaw. She peered over the velvet fold. In truth, she wasn’t sure. But something told her she would have to play it off like she did, “Hands holdin’ up a starbust.”

Ever a person intent on getting on someone's good side, Wesley quirked a smile with a gleam of ambition in his eye, intent to win the approval of Willow’s best friend, “Fascinating. I can already tell it probably looks brilliant in more ways than one.”

The Bell gave him a wry smile, “Is it because of what Willow has told you? Or have you seen my work?”

“Hm, both, really.” Wesley sipped his water and at that moment decided he would like wine. He called Dave over to put an order in for him. The look on the waiter's face gave Wesley a little more information about his dinner guests. When Dave left, Wesley turned, once again, to Molly, “Willow was kind enough to send me a picture of a sketch once, a few years back. I was impressed. You’re good, Miss Molly Malone. A woman of a few talents, so I’ve heard. You speak French, don’t you?”

“Qui.” Molly offered a short confirmation, going back to looking at her menu. Micha, Theo, and Willow seemed to be swept in the background. The back and forth taking up most of Wesley’s attention at this time.

“Charmant, moi aussi. Ma tutrice, Mme Malone, avait souvent été appelée dans ma jeunesse à m'instruire.” Wesley’s French flowed as easily as Molly’s. She lowered her menu in surprise. “Your mother was an amazing teacher, I am sorry she had to pass away.”

“You knew my Mama.” Molly loved her mother. If there ever was a spot soft enough for Wesley to wiggle his way in, he had found it. “I-- I think I remember she had to leave abruptly here and there. My whole summer before sixth grade for one.”

“A whole summer of French for me.” Wesley reflected with nostalgia.

“So you were the one who stole my Mama.” Molly’s teases and jokes were not uncommon in this fashion, but a slight bitterness underlined her tone.

Wesley had the grace to blush, “Forgive me if I had. A woman as wonderful, smart, and responsible as Madam Malone deserved better than a sulky child like me to work with, Molly. Though, perfectly amazing as I am. If I may be so bold, I dare say she couldn’t have had a better daughter than you, who is also talented, intelligent, and beautiful.” He straightened, inclining his head forward in emphasis.

The compliments didn’t seem to land right with Molly. Though they came off sincere, somehow she felt the truth had been used here, like a tool. But even so, she meant to keep the evening light and airy, not wanting to sour Willow’s night with a long time friend. So, Molly smiled with an impish glint in her dusky brown eyes, “Well, no one's perfect.” She popped her brow, “May I be so bold, dare I say, even you.”

“Ah, that sharp wit Willow spoke of,” Wesley leaned back, as if easing out of the boxers ring at a draw, choosing a different opponent, “Micha, I hope you can keep up.”

Micha had not known what was going on between them here, but he decided to investigate later. For now, he grinned, “Ehh, I keep up. Is how I caught her.” He wiggled his brows at Molly, “Like a deer in the woods.”

“Oh, stars, Micha.” Molly shook her head, smiling. In a way, it was true. “You’re lucky you sing well.”

Theo, who couldn’t help but notice the tension released some, chimed in with a laugh to help bring the mood back up, “We not so lucky, you sing terrible, Molly.”

“Ah!” Molly’s mouth gaped and she smiled, “Well hot damn, Theo, did I hear you asking me to sing?”

“No, no.” Theo waved his hand in peace and defeat. He wouldn’t tempt the dragon there. However, Theo did give Willow a side look she had seen before, “Maybe someone else?”

They all seemed able to keep straight enough faces, properly laced with concern for Molly while the back and forth had begun. The realization struck Willow that throughout the many years of knowing both Wesley and Molly the two hadn't met prior to this. She wasn't in Washington when they'd gone on their infamous arranged date only hearing about it from phone, and something always seemed to come up when he was visiting, be it for graduation or a quick lunch. The fact that she fawned over the idea Willow had presented of Wesley and now had a distance she picked up on was setting odd with her.

The mention of Mrs. Malone tutoring Wesley came as surprise to Willow, her head poking up behind the menu she'd been looking out without actually picking out anything as she listened. True, she knew that his family had been like hers with rigid expectations of just what the children's education was composed of, insisting it came from only the brightest minds, but somehow the connection had never come up. She decided to dismiss it as a common name and lack of details that they never quite dove into, instead offering Molly a sympathetic look at the sensitive topic.

"Well, what she lacks on stage she makes up for in many ways. And if you two keep prodding at her for it you're going to meet the right hook that got her into trouble more than once," she warned, finally settling on a food option. Her eyes were still the menu as she added, "I see the way you're looking at me Theodraeus and don't you dare get any thoughts. This isn't a yacht party for you to try and wiggle us up on a stage."

Theo pressed a hand to his heart in mock pain, “Ah! I was not.”

Molly snorted, “Oh yes you were.”

Wesley chuckled, “A yacht party was it?”

Theo nodded, “We won contest. Went to Applewood Country Club.”

Coffee eyes snapped up, “Is that so?” He gave his order to Dave, and so did the others. “Sounds like a one of a kind experience. Those are expensive soirees.”

“So many wealthy people. They all nice. We met professors, charity people, and others. But I like Mr. Jackson best, he is good man, very kind.” Theo praised. “He say he know you.”

“D’Lante Jackson?” Wesley asked for clarification.

“Da,” Theo smiled.

“Yes, I met him on a trip to Italy once. He had been kind indeed. Saved my neck. If it wasn’t for him, I may not be here.” Wesley chuckled. “Well now, first Mrs. Malone and now Mr. Jackson, it’s a small world. Or Fate has been weaving our threads close in her loom.”

That had Molly perk. Somehow it felt right. That statement. But she said nothing and only sipped on her water. That dread had yet to fully leave. And she suspected it might not dissipate at all.

Willow didn't miss the fact that while Wesley mentioned one encounter with D'Lante, he hadn't brought up the big New Years Ball that they'd learned of. A man who was so willing to boast and charm, it was peculiar he didn't bring up such an event. "Fate or maybe just a display of how far your influence goes now, Wes. No doubt across the globe after inheriting the family business. D'Lante told us of the magnificent ball you held on New Years. It seems I miss out on the best parties by staying away from home."

“You do, and it’s a shame.” Wesley smiled, “My family hosted this year's event. It had feasting, dancing, and there were fireworks.” He chuckled, “Little Cory grew into his britches. He has a crush on Rosalie. Even dueled in defense of her honor from an ill-behaved guest.”

Molly blinked, “A duel?”

“With paint pistols, of course,” Wesley said, though he didn’t mention the other option.

"That does spell excitement," Willow agreed as she took a sip of her lemonade. "I've heard talk of your brother, of course, but I can't say I know who this Rosalie is. Someone I should remember but I'm losing my memory as thirty looms near?"

“Oh, that’s right,” Wesley shook his head as if shaking the silly from him, “You don’t know. Rosalie is a recently adopted addition to your immediate family. Once a Caine, now a Crosse.” Wesley explained that he didn't know all the details surrounding the decision, but she seemed a bright, ambitious woman who has a passion for biochemistry.

Willow's brows furrowed together at the news. Adopted? Her parents turned around and adopted a cousin she didn't even know existed and this was the first she'd heard of it? Granted, she also hadn't heard from them much in several years as she'd told Theo. Maybe that was truly why they'd stopped communication all together? Cut ties with her because they found a replacement daughter. "I do miss out on everything," she murmured, doing her best not to let emotions damper the mood. "Well then, that's quite the bit of tea isn't it? I suppose if we make it to the wedding we'll meet her then."

Wesley offered an empathetic turn of his lips and a softer gaze. Willow and Wesley had about the more impressive acting skills of their respective groups, and perhaps that may be why he caught the subtleness of her shift in mood. He wouldn’t call attention to it, knowing that might turn the uplifted atmosphere down and potentially upset anyone, so he said, “You don’t have to anymore, Sweet Willow.” He said kindly, “And if you two do make it, we’ll be happy to welcome the both of you warmly.”

She nodded, a practiced smile appearing at his kind words, nodding in agreement. "I think you're right. We'll talk it over tonight and RSVP if we agree on it," she decided, though something told her she already knew how that conversation was going to go. Likely Everest would hear this from Wesley long before they received the response. "But enough talk of weddings for now before Micha starts getting sweaty palms from Molly's glares. Tell me how the little ones are doing?"

Last edited:
Micha did sweat, and it probably contributed to him offering Molly the complimentary bread to tide her over. They were all hungry. Wes was hungry for more than just food, but, satisfied for now, Wes was happy to move on to other topics. Especially if it meant speaking of his children. Lottie started violin lessons. She was a sassy eight year old, obsessed with riding ponies, ballet, and becoming a cookie thief. Uncle Everest and Aunt Ellie were her favorites. Wesley told them that five year old Jasper loved trucks. He loved to ride the tiny plastic ones around the backyard. Wesley had made him custom rides too. Little baby Kit, already one years old, had the cutest arguments in broken sentences. Out of all of his kids, Kit had the sweetest heart. He had yet to become aggressive or throw a thing. Kit toddled around, sucking his thumb, and had the gentlest touch.

The conversation quieted when food came. Molly, occupied with eating, decided not to worry if Micha made a fool of himself and blabbered about his foodie ways in front of Wesley. She had hoped it may deter the man from interacting with them much. However, the joke was on her. Wesley turned out to be as much of a culinary nerd as Micha. They shared their ‘lists’ and happened to have the same criteria to test the quality of a new restaurant. Apparently the Eculent passed the test. They both tapped it in on their lists once dinner concluded.

“It was lovely seeing you again, Sweet Willow,” Wesley hugged her.

Despite the ups and downs that the evening might have brought, she could honestly agree. "And wonderful seeing you, Wesley," she sighed into his embrace. "I'm hoping we meet up again before your kids have graduated."

“Yes, definitely.” Wesley let her go. He offered a hand to Theo. “And you too, Theo, I hope we can be good friends.”

Theo grinned, “Da, same!” He shook his hand.

Micha did as well, “Maybe sometime I show you my cooking. Come down at the Old Bear, I make you anything you want.”

Wesley smiled, “I have to! I must know if the rumors are true.”

While Micha, Theo, and Willow fared Wesley well and wished him a good night, it took all of Molly’s strength not to jump away from Wes when he offered her a goodbye shake of the hand. Her skin hadn’t warmed, nor did it lose that slight tremor. A thing Wesley noted and said nothing about. “Bye Wes.”

“Goodbye, and good night, Miss Molly Malone.” Wesley smiled. As they walked away he waved, “Have a safe drive home.”

The four assured them they would. Wesley had arranged for valets to find and bring them their corolla. All the while Molly chewed her lip and leaned on Micha. Once in the car she rolled down the window and let the cool summer night wash over her sweaty brow. Molly felt her heartbeat slowing down the farther away they got from the Eculant-- the farther they got from Wesley.

Folding herself into the passenger seat, Willow exhaled as they pulled away out of the parking lot. Once they were on the road, she turned enough in her seat so she could look at Molly. "Is everything okay? You were white as a ghost," she asked her, concern more visible now that they had some privacy.

The words were hard to find. Especially since Wesley had found a place as a good friend to Willow. But if there was anything in this world that got Molly fired up, it was the people she loved being in potential danger. Risking scrutiny, Molly said in a grave tone, “Something ain’t right about that man, Willow.”

A few months back she might have played off Molly's superstitions, but also learning what Willow had about Molly having Almaeri being awoken she took it quite seriously. "What makes you feel that way? Was it something he said?"

“No,” Molly shook her head, “Just felt sick. As soon as I saw him. It felt like. . .like when we heard that bunny get attacked by a raccoon.” They had heard that go down on a sleepover once. Molly hunted, but she did her best to make a clean kill. Hearing a tiny cute bun-bun get ripped to shreds by a hungry trash panda made their skin crawl. “Don’t know what. Maybe. . .maybe it’s like it was back when we walked into the pub. Maybe I am missing something. But tonight. . .” Molly’s face whitened, “Tonight it felt like we were prey.”

Micha frowned and wrapped his arm around Molly. Like Natalia had said at camp, people tended to have ‘talents’ in areas of Almaeri. Theo and Micha saw and felt nothing of concern. In fact, Micha hoped to reconnect and talk about restaurants soon. But for Molly’s sake, he wouldn’t, if she asked him not to.

Molly sighed, “Maybe it’s the car and that I ate late. Maybe it’s just me. I haven’t been feeling well lately anyway. All those visions of symbols and damned crows.” They were back. Fleeting and temporary, but they came once in a while. Micha and the others worried it may have been some kind of curse. Or a familiar spying on them. No one could tell. “Just. . .be cautious. I don’t want to lose either of you.”

Theo frowned, glancing at Molly, “We will do our best.”

Willow wished she could offer her friend a healthy embrace but would have to save it for later. Just hearing the words from Molly made her shudder and she had to swallow before she could speak again. "We'll hope it was just everything adding up, but to be safe I'll keep that in mind, Molls," she assured her.

"Okay." Molly nodded, resting her head just below Micha's chin. Just being in his arms helped calm her down.

Theo shared a look with Willow, and offered an encouraging smile before he turned back to the road. It was possible that Molly misunderstood why she felt like they were prey. Maybe Wes was prey too. Molly could only say she didn't feel well about it.

Willow wished she knew what to think at that point. Before April she would have thought that it was silly to think of Wesley as some sort of a threat, only knowing him as a kind and charming man throughout her life. She also wouldn't have thought that the man she loved would shoot through the depths of the sea to save her or tame a fairy or that her future niece-in-law would sprout fur and enjoy pigs ears. They could only wait to see how things panned. out.

-​

As soon as the corolla left and Wesley got into his Tesla, he called Everest. There was no way the man would allow the day to end without hearing the word on dinner. Wesley didn’t need to wait long for his friend to pick up.

"Is she safe?" were the first words out once the line connected, Everest having been waiting around for this call in particular. Asking Wesley to pop in and check on Willow after weeks of no response to either invite had been something he was encouraged to do by Ellie who had seen his concern. Thankfully, she still didn't know just how much of an eye they'd been keeping on his younger sister. "Did he show up?"

“Theo did come. While we would agree no man can be truly good enough for Willow, he seems an amiable immigrant from Russia.” On the face of it Willow had found a respectable lover. Their info on him being a doctor and occasionally working at the family business all checked out, “Willow is safe, happy, healthy--” Wesley knew this next part would throw him for a loop, “And engaged.”

There was a long pause on the other side of the line. "That's a bad joke, Wes," he finally said, a hint of agitation in his tone.

“Either she’s playing an expensive joke, or our Sweet Willow will be married by next June,” Wesley said, grateful to have snapped a pic at some point in the evening. He sent the image right away.

Seeing an image of the ring wasn't helping Everest accept the diamond-adorned truth. Big brother somehow managed to get on higher level of alert even. "She's too young to get married. And why in the hell wouldn't she have told me?"

Wesley kept his amusement mute, knowing right now Everest wasn’t in the mood. That meant all the wonderful comments he could say, that Everest basically walked into, had to be held back as well, “Let’s hope marrying in her late twenties is the least of our worries, Ev.” And there was no need to voice the reason why Willow hadn’t at least told Everest. She had barely spoken in seven years, it was likely for all the reasons that motivated her distance and silence. Besides, their true concern had yet to be fully confirmed. A single dinner told them Willow was doing alright. A single dinner told them Theo appeared to be a good guy. But a thousand dinners were still not enough to know if Theo was a mage, unless they got to test him, “I do believe they will come to the wedding. Don’t make it obvious that you heard it from me. She will know I told you, she’s smart.” Wesley said, running through some scenarios in his head, “I didn’t see any familiars. But they could have used wild life.” It had happened before, though not common. The average mage on Earth paled in comparison to any in Aarin. The two would not know it was easier for the Russian family to make familiars of wild animals. Usually the common cat or the loyal dog marked a mage. “We will have a few days to test Theo.” Wesley hummed in thought, “We should discuss what to do if he does turn out to be a mage.”

While Everest had his suspicions that something was going on, it had been Wesley who initially suggested the idea of Theo being a mage. It could have been the fact that he didn't want to think his sister was susceptible to Almaeri charm but he wasn't sold on it quite yet. There might have been things that weren't lining up, but nothing showed up yet to confirm it. "Well we both know what we would do to any other mage," he said, rubbing the back of his neck as he paced about the long-since emptied office. "But we also know that if something happens to him and she knows we're to blame that we are never going to hear from Willow again." Even if they'd been distant, he wasn't ready to completely lose ties to her.

“There are a few options.” Wesley didn’t want to lose out on her friendship either. “All of them will have to account for Theo not being the only mage. He has his family.” And if so, Wesley would have to tip his hat to the impressive lengths they’ve gone to, to keep under their radar this long while also being a family as big as they’ve got. “And I think Molly Malone may be a mage. An unwitting one, but I believe she is Awakened.” Wesley hadn’t let on, but her behavior had been obvious to his trained eyes. Though potentially blissfully ignorant, it didn’t mean she wouldn’t become a cruel, power-hungry witch later in life. Better to nip that bud now. “Tragic accidents will be our best bets. Preferably a big one done all at once. And I’m guessing, before next June.”

It was risky, but there were few things in their professions that weren't. "It's going to be hard to have a tragic accident that's believable with that many people but somehow Willow isn't present," he groaned, knowing this was going to be a real bitch to deal with. "First we've need to know for sure, so nothing we can do but keep an eye on them in the meantime until he's tested. Might not need to bother testing the rest of them if we're doing a group clean-up, but I don't want to destroy her world if we don't know for sure. Anything else happen I should know about?"

“Yes, it would be tricky.” Wesley agreed, “But a tragic accident doesn’t have to be a plane crash or a sinking ship. Bank robberies and driveby shootings have there way of making a mess of collateral damage. We know some guys willing to put on a skii mask.” And being hunters with blessed silver bullets, they wouldn’t miss, “We’ll think about it. We have time.” Wesley said, “And hopefully we won’t have to do it anyway, if Theo isn’t a mage.” As for the last, he hummed in thought, “She knows about Rosalie. Looked like that put her in a damp mood. Mm, I think that’s about it. ” Wesley exhaled, “Oh, the restaurant we went to is a good one, lovely ambiance, good food.” The only other thing Wesley could think of was D’Lante, “And apparently Mr. Jackson had met them in February, at some yacht party at the Applewood Country Club. The one with all those programs for various ages.” They had their eye on the place. But test after test of all of the staff and management came up empty. Either this happened to be a heartfelt charity or one of the greatest mage coverups of all of Wesley’s career. “But D’Lante hadn’t told me a thing. Could be a human flaw of forgetfulness.” Wesley hoped. Because the human flaw of compassion for monstrous beings would mean the end of that friendship, and more.

Everest could care less when it came to just what the food had been like, and considering his immense loyalty wasn't worried about D'Lante at this point. Admittedly, he hadn't even though tof how she'd respond to finding out about their cousin/adopted sister. If she did show up at the wedding he'd have to find time to talk it all out with her. Seven years was a long time. A lot had happened and while most if wasn't for a mundie like his sister to know of, that was at least one thing she was privy to. The two wrapped up their conversation as Wesley drove, little more that needed to be said as their next move couldn't be made until they confirmed their suspicions.

Tuesday July 31st, 2018

Grandpa Lyov and Granya were only a walk across the street away. If ever Theo needed to take over for a night or two he’d bunk in his old room with Willow. Granya, nearly seventeen, had taken the brunt of the responsibilities of caring for her great-grandfather with grace. A feat younger Granya would have struggled with, but time and effort smoothed her angsty teenage edges. Granya still kept a reserved manner, but she didn’t outright hide anymore. She spent less time online in her room, spoke English more often, got her driver's license, and considered taking the advice to work at the pub as a full time job. Especially since Sadie had been fired shortly before their camping trip. Thankfully they had help from Liam now, but the pub was still hard to handle on some nights. Friday night being the worst. Today, on her great-grandpa's birthday, they would need all hands on deck. While it was a potluck, they’d need to take care of the little details like extra napkins, helping old people, kicking out ruffians, and so forth.

“Pradedushka, do you need help?” Granya asked when she got into the drivers seat.

Lyov struggled for a moment more with his belt before he drew his old eye up in a sheepish smile, “Da, Shchenok, I do.”

Wordlessly Granya bent over to click the clip in place. When she straightened she saw Theo and Willow coming out of their house. It was early, but not too early. Grandpa Lyov needed his sleep and the machine he hooked up to each night had a number of hours to process what his kidneys used to do on their own. Jovan set the time to start at the pub back two hours for the workers, also, as a treat for the celebration.

“Дядя Theo, you going on the motorcycle, or with us?”

“With you, Schchenok.” Theo said, passing his bike with Willow on his arm. “Happy birthday, Granpa Lyov!” He grinned as he opened the door for Willow to sit. The habit of his chivalry hadn’t been a flashy gimmick for courting. Theo really did believe it was a polite gesture that he did to show his affection.

Willow also gave the old man she'd grown fond of a cheerful birthday wish as they went to join them in the car. "Why do you want me to chase him off, Granya? We can leave him and go hit up a craft store," she teased Theo before climbing in to the door he'd held open.

“Thank you, the both of you. So happy to share this day.” Granpa Lyov smiled.

The young woman chuckled and said, “Maybe after.” to the feign of offense from her uncle. Finna teased that Theo would need to start crafting, if he wanted to keep being Granya’s favorite.

Granya, unlike Molly, cared about the rules of the road. She rarely fudged them. It was Granya’s opinion that Molly’s driving contributed to her car getting totaled. The Southern Bell had gotten a new BMW, but she did hold true to that ceremony of a funeral for her old car. They pulled out in a smooth motion. Granya made careful turns. She watched the speedometer with the eye of a hawk. They made it to the Old Bear in a respectable timely manner. Too long for Molly’s taste.

“Woo, Micha, they’re here!” Molly shouted up at the apartments above. She was currently painting Russian imagery that mimicked his story on the windows of the pub. No stranger would know. It made it all the more fun to do!

Theo opened the door for Willow and took her arm in his. Granya helped Lyov out of his seat. They shuffled towards the pub, looking around at all the decorations. People lined up wearing clothes more formal than usual. Some even had gifts in hand. A huge side strung overhead read, ‘HAPPY BIRTHDAY LYOV!’ And when the doors opened the room had been arranged to allow for dancing as well as feasting. At his request, Lyov asked for a potluck, where everyone brought their favorite meal. He enjoyed seeing people add their piece of love and effort, and being able to share in it himself. Even Natalia had baked her favorite pecan pie. An American dish Willow and Molly introduced to them.

“Ah, thank you, thank you so much!” Lyov laughed merrily as people came to wish him a good day. “Please, eat, enjoy!” He urged.

Many a babushka tried her best to charm him into her affections, but Lyov had one love and one love only. Maria. But he entertained them anyway. They were happy to have his attention. In anticipation of people asking him questions and wanting to talk, Jovan set up a comfortable recliner by the fire and the stage. Natalia had missed her grandpa, so she took up the task of being his personal assistant.

Amalia and Micha were doing their best to help guests heat up what they needed, fry this or that they couldn’t do themselves, and make sure their containers didn’t get lost among the many dishes out on the tables.

Molly greeted the new arrivals, “Good to see you, I’mma get washed and get dressed. I don’t think there is a start time, just grab a plate and go.” She kissed Willows cheek and gave Theo a pat on the shoulder before running upstairs.

Liam came up to Willow, Theo, and Granya, hands tucked in his pockets, "Hey guys," he smiled, and lingered on Granya a moment more before saying to Willow and Theo, “I hope you two are going to sing tonight.”

Theo smiled, “I think Grandpa would like that. What do you say Willow?”

Last edited:
The excitement for Lyov's birthday had spread from the family to the patrons, many of them wanting to join in the celebration. Willow was happy to see how much of an impact he seemed to have on their chunk of the community. It felt like it spoke volumes to the family that she was already so proud of. The faces that joined them were now quite familiar as she neared a year of working at the pub, almost an extension of their already large family.

In preparation for the potluck, she'd dug up a couple of old recipes that she'd yet to share with everyone. At the stretched tables, she added a bowl of garlic Parmesan roasted shrimp accompanied by a small bowl of mango sauce to dip them in and a container of sesame tortilla chips. Her hands had been too full for the dip since it was oddly shaped; a pineapple sliced open and excavated to be used as the serving dish for pineapple salsa. The shrimp hadn't been the easiest to transport, seeing as a certain Russian kept finding his way into the kitchen while she was cooking, trying to thief a few pieces.

Brushing her hands on her pants, she bid Molly a speedy return, knowing how indecisive she could be in front of the closet. Willow took up her spot at Theo's side, though Liam approaching quickly earned their attention. Her chocolate eyes caught the extended gaze Granya earned, though she wasn't about to say anything aloud. Most of the family was just beginning to trust him and somehow she knew that a couple of overprotective uncles wouldn't take well to that. She grinned at the suggestion, looking up at Theo. "I suppose we are a bit overdue. Someone just so happens to be busy the last few Fridays," she smirked up at him.

Thankfully Theo didn't have the same perceptive mind as Willow. Granya, to her misfortune, shared her uncle's deficiency. The girl gave Liam a cursory glance and a nod, choosing to give her audience to Finn who stole a peck on her cheek to get her attention. "Food?" Finn asked, and to his delight Granya agreed. Liam sighed in contentment.

"I have the work," Theo offered the age-old excuse. He didn't want to argue too much. He was hoping some of the dish she brought would have leftovers for him later, but if not, maybe he could coax her into making it again later. Theo turned with a grin at Liam, "Da, we will sing."

She could never be truly upset with his work schedule, but she'd also throw in a tease now and then. Just never enough to actually pressure him. "I know, work. I'll sing alone if you need to save the world now and then," she compromised. Besides, now she had the beautiful little moments of singing in the kitchen to have his arms wrap around her from behind, often leading to them dancing about their kitchen. "But no singing until Molly's back," was her only condition.

“Deal,” Theo kissed the cheek of his lovely Willow.

Liam grinned, “Great! Can’t wait. I love hearing you guys perform.”

Granya came up then, feeding Finn a part of her meat chunk between her fingers, “Perform?”

Theo smiled, “Willow and I. We sing when Molly comes down.

Shuffling his foot, Liam cleared his throat, “Uh, it’d be great to hear you sing too, Granya.”

Granya’s lackadaisical shrug gave him little hope, “I don’t know.” She still had reservations about being in front of lots of people. She didn’t run in fear anymore, but she didn’t feel comfortable yet either. If she played her cards right maybe no one would force it.

Theo grinned, “Aahhh, Shchenok, why don’t you--”

“Nope.” Granya swung her voice, turned on her heel and padded off with haste.

Liam smiled, though his shoulders slumped, “Heh, it’s fine. Well, I’ll let you guys go. I’m gonna have some of that food.” He passed them by to the shashlik.

Theo thought nothing of it. What caught his attention was the juggler on the stage, “Ha ha, so funny, the balls they bounce like they hit the floor.” He pointed.

Willow was keeping a mental tab throughout the night of just how many times she caught Liam looking over at Granya. He might as well have been looking after a stone wall for as much attention as Granya paid him. She decided that she'd bring it up to Theo later in the week, in the most harmless way she could think of.

About then Molly came down wearing a simple, but attractive outfit. She ran around a bit, distracted, but it was fine since some old babushka took the stage next to tell a Russian folktale. Then, finally, Molly cooled her heels and took a seat. “Woo!” She hollered, ready to hear the performance. Grandpa Lyov happily cheered as well. He loved to see them sing. Granya sat with Finn by her great grandfather, on the floor joining him.

When the stage opened up, Willow took hold of Theo's hand, this time being the one to lead him out to the stage rather than him taking the lead. She had decided for them that they'd be doing a slower song that had been one of her favorites for slow dancing in the kitchen. She started them off singing, one hand free to snap for the tempo, though it was soon picked up by the audience to replace any music for them. Maybe she'd have to take up the guitar as a second instrument, but for now their voices were more than enough to fill the pub.

She found it impossible to look away from Theo as they sang, not surprised when he pulled you in for a few spins. They might as well have been back home enjoying their evenings together, despite the few dozen sets of eyes on them. As the song ended and everyone sounded their approval in applause, she pulled him in for a tender kiss. Hopping off the stage, she grinned gleefully up at him. "Good thing I've found a husband who doesn't mind being a performer with me."

Up on the stage Theo shared Willow’s habit of keeping his eyes on her during these kinds of songs, when the both of them felt each other call to the other. A few of those dancing moves they did in the kitchen made their way on stage. And he had no regrets. The song even got a few of the patrons swaying with their beloveds. Notably Micha and Molly of the ones they knew. Though Willow wasn’t looking to know, Liam had a pleasant, content smile on his face as he watched them, glancing at Granya. The girl was sitting with her back against the recliner. Finn on her knee did a little sway, quietly joining in on the song along with Willow and Theo, enough for Granya to hear him. She pleased, touching nose-to-beak in appreciation afterwards.

It was almost surreal that almost a year ago he and Willow had sung ‘Stand by Me’, and here they were engaged and taking the world by storm, “Good thing I have found a wife who is as wonderful and kind to perform with me.” Theo murmured.

Molly came up to the two love-birds smelling of vodka, “So, just want to throw it out there, if and when Micha and I ever marry--”

“Eh! We will marry, I asked you, you need to give me answer--”

“--So like I was saying, if and when-- I totally want you to play my wedding songs. Willow, you amazing cellist, I need you to intro me, but also be my Matron of Honor. Also, if I am not your Maid of Honor for your wedding, Imma find the woman you asked and knife her,” Molly laughed, her nose blushed purple, “And then I will be your Maid of Honor, so why don’t we just cut to the chase and--” She laughed, interrupting herself, “Oh I didn’t even do that on purpose: ‘cut’ to the chase, did you hear Micha?”

“Da, I did. Mollyshka, you need to sit down, you drank too much.” He chuckled, guiding her. Micha said to Theo and Willow, “She tried to out drink Uncle Jovan.” Micha took Molly to the bar where she got a different kind of drink. One that helped clear her head for the gift-giving for Lyov later.

Theo tsc’d, “That was never going to end well for her.”

Their moment was broken by Molly's slightly loud statements, though Willow could only chuckle at her friend's declaration. She shook her head as Micha shuffled off with her, leaning into Theo. "Who else does she think I'd ask?" Although in her defense, she hadn't gone so far as to assemble a wedding party quite yet. Things still felt early enough on that there wasn't too much of a rush. "Micha has his work cut out for him. I'm guessing he's going to be your Best Man?"

Theo shrugged his shoulder, “Da, I think so.” He chuckled, “I want to prank him though. Maybe I will ask Liam instead, in front of him. I want to see how he acts.” He’d have to let Liam in on the joke, so he’s ready in case Micha takes it too personally.

She chuckled, enjoying the constant jests between the two cousins. "Or, if you can get her in on it, ask Amalia to be the Best Man if you really want to get a rise out of him," she offered, knowing just how competitive the two siblings could be.

“Da!” Theo brightened, “Diabolical, I love it!” He kissed her, “That is also why I love you.” Theo chuckled impishly, "When do you think we should do that? Not tonight, because Lyov's birthday, but soon."

She couldn't deny that his playful antics were rubbing off on her, particularly when it came to joking with his cousins. Willow thought on it for a moment, taking a sip of sweet tea one of the patrons had brought. "Hmm, well what about in the next week or so on a date we know you're off? We didn't really have any sort of an engagement party so we could do just a small dinner to tell Micha and Molly and have Amalia tag along?"

Theo took out his phone, “Sunday fifth, in August.” He confirmed the date on his calendar. Grinning he said, “I will tell Amalia, and we will act the part. I can’t wait to see Micha’s face, is gonna be so funny.” Theo wiggled his phone in the air, "We record too!"

"Oh, I'm encouraging a monster," she chuckled, but was admittedly looking forward to seeing how this panned out. There was more than one occasion of Micha's own impish behaviors that this could be deemed a payback for. Looking about the pub it seemed like most people were cheerfully engaged in conversation with each other or watching the next act on stage which was one of the patrons singing an old Russian song.

Before long everyone's stomach were starting get full from the assortment of dishes presented. Willow snatched a relatively sobered up Molly so the two of them could bring in the cake that had been stowed in the kitchen for safekeeping. As much as Micha and Amalia might have been protective of the kitchen at the pub, that didn't mean the girls couldn't have free reign of the one in Willow and Theo's house. It was a two night project and they'd dropped it off the night prior for safe keeping, but between the two of them, they felt like they were ready for a Netflix baking show after it was done.

1588872864382.png

“Aww, wonderful!” The family fawned over their confectionary creation. The rest of the pub joined, murmuring delight among the crowd.

Grandpa Lyov gave the girls a hug, “Beautiful work, so amazing. So happy to have you girls!” His cheeks rosied from his joy.

Molly felt her emotions bubble, “It’s the least we could do. And it’s your favorite kind. Cherry and vanilla.” She told him as she pulled away.

Lyov pat her hand approvingly, then turned to Willow, “You sang so pretty, it reminded me of Maria. I felt her here when you sang. Thank you for sharing you beautiful voice.”

Willow felt her own cheeks darkening at the compliment, knowing just how much that meant to him. "Of course, Lyov," she insisted. "I'm so happy that you enjoy it. You deserve a wonderful birthday and we're glad we could help give it to you."

Grandpa Lyov gave her hand a kiss, “Thank you, it means so much.”

“Speech!” The crowd began to urge. Before the singing of the birthday song it was a tradition for a few words to be said.

Lyov stood up between Granya and Willow, facing the crowd, “Thank you for coming. My heart is glad to see all of you safe and together. It has made our sacrifices worth it. But remember that even as the old world has gone and we walk in the new, we must not forget that our fight for a better life doesn’t end just because we made it to the surface. We get one life. Do not waste it pleasing people, or elbowing each other for the temporal materials of this world, or chasing youth,” Lyov raised hand and placed it on Willows shoulder, then his other hand came to rest on Granya’s, as if he was spiritually embracing them all since his arms were limited by physics, “Fulfill your life by doing good and being loving, even in the darkest days.” After a moment Lyov pulled his hands back and gestured to the crowd, “While I am grateful for any presents you may have brought, I ask one gift from all of you. . .tell someone, before you go to bed tonight, that you love them.”

The crowd hummed in awe and admiration as the candles were lit for the song. While not everyone was a great singer, except for those who had Almaeri to improve their vocals or who were trained like Willow, the melody fell pleasantly on the ear and the crowd cheered once the song ended and the candles blew out.

After they had their cake, people began to urge Lyov to open his gifts. The old man had not asked for anything. Only that people come and be merry. But he would not turn away a present. There were many thoughtful gifts. Jovan had given Lyov an eye patch made from an old scarf of Maria’s. That touched his heart. Willow got Lyov a handcrafted ushanka made of real beaver.

duqCfvk.png

Molly, who was thankful for Micha getting her to drink Natalia’s tincture so she didn’t get goofy on stage, was nervous that her painting would be a strange offer to Lyov. But it just felt right. Something in her told her to do it. So she did.

Lyov, with a view of the stage, happily waited for Molly to pull the cord and reveal his last present. The velvet fabric folded to the side. Hung on an easel made to present finished work stood a four foot by two and a half foot canvas. Upon which Molly had painted the image of a golden starburst, with a center as pale as the full moon. Disembodied hands hovered below it, with fingers curled as if holding a staff, though all that they saw was light. Molly had used a little bit of gold leaf to give it some shimmer. As proud of her work as she was, Molly was speechless to see Lyov’s reaction.

“It’s beautiful, Myshka,” Lyov’s eye teared up. His old hands raised inches away from the surface of the painting. Gently, as if he could break it if he pressed too hard, his fingertip grazed the center. Something inside Granpa Lyov welled up. He couldn’t describe it in any other word than ‘Hope’. For several minutes Granpa Lyov stood in awe. As if he was seeing the door to a new world, a new life. Finally, he said, “It must stay here.” He pointed to the back of the stage. “It must hang here, behind the curtain.”

“Oh, uh--” Molly hadn’t expected that, “Sure, if you want it to.” She was puzzled though, “Are you sure, Grandpa Lyov?”

Smiling through his teary eye, Lyov nodded, “Da.”

Now, whether or not this was a rejection of her gift, Molly didn’t know, and felt flattered either way. Though it was likely not. But either way, she had felt it right. And she was quite flattered he had been moved to tears. It still seemed odd to keep it at the pub, and behind a curtain. But if it made him happy she’d do it.

The picture hung on the wall at the back of the stage, framed by red curtains. Though a strange place, Molly did think it looked good from where she stood.

It was almost impossible to steal a moment with Lyov as people crowded him for more personal interactions. Natalia got a kiss goodbye before she left. Her work demanded her the next morning. Liam tried and failed to make conversation again with Granya, who kept an eye on the time, to make sure it didn't get too late for her great grandfather. They still had to hook him to the dialysis machine before nine. Amalia made sure to get her hug before starting clean up in the kitchen. Micha and Molly gave their love to Grandpa Lyov before helping the clean up in the main area of the restaurant.

Theo slipped his arm around Willow's waist after they got a hug and farewell to Lyov too. Jovan insisted to the two that they had the pub covered if Theo needed to leave, since he had work in the morning too, "Ready to go?"

Willow was always proud of Molly and her work but would have to agree that this place shone brighter than many in the past. Lyov had been so visibly moved that it seemed to have a ripple effect on everyone else present. They all admired the man, even if it was just Jovan who had dressed as him for Halloween, and were pleased at his reaction. She had to agree the painting looked perfect behind the stage, giving a reminder to those ready to get up and give it their all not to be afraid of chasing stars.

Willow alongside Granya helped Lyov through the pub once farewells were done, make sure he was secure in the car before taking her seat next to Theo. At a slow and steady pace they traversed through town, coming to their shared street as nine inched closer. Sparing a final birthday wish and kiss on Lyov's cheek, they parted ways to head to their own house across the street. Once they were inside, she decided to gingerly test the waters of her earlier observations. "So, how do you feel about Liam lately?" she asked nonchalantly as she slipped out of her shoes.

“Hm?” Theo had been in his head, thinking of how to best prank Micha, but the question soon brought him to the present, “Liam? How I feel?” Theo took a moment to think about that as he hung up his jacket and kicked off his shoes, “I feel he is a good guy. It bothers me he hasn’t told us too much, but looks like he is being honest. Molly say she has only good vibes from him, so that is a great sign.”

Her casual questions continued as they made their way into the house, heading to the kitchen with their empty dishes in hand. "I think he is a good guy as well," she continued on, moving about the kitchen to clean up the mess she'd abandoned when they left earlier that day. "He seems like someone who would be respectful and reliable to anyone he comes in contact with. Don't you agree?"

Theo undid his hair and shook, feeling in his tresses for that wily hair tie that got stuck sometimes, “Well so far he has,” Theo found the tie and began working the hair from it, “Amalia said Liam made her soup when she got sick,” Sometimes they had to allow their bodies to catch colds and flus, so that people checking in on their medical records didn’t see anything suspicious, “That is thoughtful.”

That certainly sounded like points in his favor, but she wasn't quite ready to jump all the way in yet. "That is thoughtful. I'm sure he'd make a strong and kind provider for someone he cared for," she said as she started filling up the dishwasher that was one of her favorite parts of the kitchen.

Theo came to lean against the counter as he tied back his hair again, “Mm, I guess so. . .” He couldn’t tell where this was going, but he did admit that anyone who survived in Aarin was probably a formidable fighter. Strong had to be one of his attributes. He had impressed them when he spotted a passing hunter coming to the Old Bear for lunch, and managed to hide evidence of their familiars while the man ate at the restaurant. And Theo had overheard Liam talking to Amalia about potentially putting a raspberry cream pastry on the menu for Willow’s birthday gift. Liam noticed Willow’s efforts to make these little influences in their pub and somehow knew about her love of raspberries. “Why?”

It seemed like there wasn't anything going against him, but she wasn't done laying out breadcrumbs yet. "I guess I've just been thinking about it more and it feels like he's become a strong part of everyone's lives. Even if he isn't a part of your family he is trying very hard to assimilate in with everyone else," she pointed out. "I don't think it'd be such a bad thing if he stayed permanently, do you?"

“Hm.” Theo crossed his arms in thought. What would it be like to have a permanent Liam around? If they assumed he would be consistent with what they had experienced so far, Theo couldn’t see that going wrong. There was only one thing working against him. Liam still felt nervous telling them more about himself. Something was holding him back, “Is not so bad, but I think. . .not until he is open book.” They had wanted to invite him to Pine park in the past. Micha had heard Jovan talk with Natalia about it once. But they didn’t and Liam still bowed his head and asked them to give him time to consider being open like they needed. It came to Theo then that maybe this was where Willow was aiming for and was just feeling it out with him. “Maybe you talk to him?” Theo suggested. He was a bit busy that week. “Maybe explain he has to say it one day, or it won’t work out.”

She stopped what she was doing suddenly, not expecting it to take that sort of a turn. Still, maybe that would help his case, should he ever manage to get Granya's attention. "I could talk to him," she nodded, drying her hands on a towel. "Maybe with Granya. He seems to enjoy chatting with her, so that could help him open up perhaps?"

At that, Theo made a skeptical noise, “Ehh, I don’t know. Does he?” He hadn’t noticed before, but now it came to mind Theo looked back and tried to recall when Liam was around Granya. The man did seem to navigate her temper well, even diverting unwanted company from Granya when too many people approached her. There was that one time Lyov had gone to the bathroom with Jovan’s help and left her alone. A young Russian patron did his best to get Granya to dance with him. Having little to no experience with men who weren’t online and couldn’t be blocked with a click of a button, Granya found herself in stunned uncertainty, unable to decide whether she should growl at him to leave or let him pull her into the open. Liam somehow knew what was going on and managed to shoo the Russian man away and took a seat by Granya until Lyov came back. Theo had only known any of this through a few people and Granya commenting she felt relaxed that Liam didn’t expect her to make conversation at all, and only sat in comfortable silence. Liam tended to be there for Granya a lot without any real understanding of how he knew to come to her side. A number of times popped into his head. And then, of course, tonight. Theo shrugged, “Granya might not even come. You can try, to bring her I guess. If that helps him talk.”

Willow grinned as he agreed to her suggestion, for all intents and purposes. "I think it will," she said in a visibly good mood, rising up on her toes to give his cheek a quick peck. She decided other observations could wait until they'd managed to get a response from him other way. And maybe even get Granya's take on Liam as well before she suited up to face protective uncles.

Last edited:
Now that their little conversation was done, Theo took Willows hands and swayed with her, “Enough talk,” He kissed her mouth, “I want to hear you sing.” He purred. But not the kind of singing from earlier. Theo picked Willow up and walked to their bedroom.

Sunday August 5, 2018

Theo lost another child that morning, before dawn. He just sat down at his desk after a long conversation with the health department and the parents of the recently deceased. The various tracking spells seemed to fail him. He rubbed his neck in frustration. Perhaps Natalia had something? Theo decided to text her, but his hand felt an empty pocket.

Just then Nurse Gale came through the door, “Dr. Al-Zakhar?” The old woman croaked, “Your phone. You left it in the child's room.” She handed it over.

“Thank you, Mrs. Gale.” Theo sighed, taking it from her.

“You okay?” The older nurse asked.

“No.” Theo frowned, tapping into his phone. “We lose so many kids.”

“That’s life.” Mrs. Gale shrugged. “We do our best. I’m here every day doing my work, hoping to make a difference. You got to give yourself a break, doctor.”

“I can’t.” Theo shook his head. Where were these kids going that cursed them with this horrible Awakening Spell? Theo stowed his phone and sat back down again, saying, “I had begun charting where the kids lived. They weren’t near each other. But most or all of them came to his clinic. It’s as if the source is---” Theo paused, blinking. He took out the charts of the more recent deaths.

“The source is what?” Mrs. Gale asked with a cool, questioning stare.

Theo looked over the files, seeing a pattern. Slowly he put the folders back, “Nothing.” He murmured, looking up at Mrs. Gale, “I thought I had something, but I don’t. We’ll just have to keep working. Like you say.” Theo smiled, meeting her gaze.

Mrs. Gale hesitated, then smiled back, relaxing her shoulders, “Right. Well, good day, Dr. Al-Zakhar. I know you’re heading off to meet up with your family.”

“Da, thank you.” Theo forced a spoff.

Once Mrs. Gale left Theo’s brow sweat a few drops. If his theory was right, then he was in some hot water. But nothing could be done at the very moment. It was during the day, they were surrounded by strangers and staff. Theo would at least send Geist to track her. For now, Theo regained his composure, having to rely on all the tips Willow showed him to not burst in anger at the potential witch-bitch who was probably preying on children and calm himself. He had to outthink her. So far she didn’t seem to suspect him.

Theo got washed, got dressed, and made it in time to the pub. He and Willow planned to meet Micha, Amalia, and Molly at a seaside restaurant for the big engagement party request and prank day! Micha was not sure why Amalia was coming too. Theo made sure his phone was secure. He had to record Micha’s face! Theo pulled into the parking lot and honked for Willow to come out.

While it would have made much more sense for the five of them to simply ride together, Molly insisted she needed to get ready after work. Willow hadn't been about to push it, instead making sure Micha knew that she was counting on him to get her there on time. Making sure her section was spotless and her rag and apron were in the hamper, she headed out of the pub and joined him in the car. Leaning over to give him a kiss once she was buckled in, she gave him a soft smile. "Think I have time to go home and change? I'd hate to show up smelling," she said with a grimace.

“Da,” Theo nodded, driving off to their home. He didn’t want to dampen the mood with his worries, but he did want the release of tension. So, he said, “After we get home I have news about work I need to talk about. Concerning the children we’ve lost. Not now though, I want to enjoy the lunch. Just needed to get this off chest.” He held her hand.

Normally news like that would be good she would have imagined, but the fact he wanted to put it off said otherwise. "Okay, we'll talk about it tonight." She trusted him to know when it was best. "I'm sure you need to fully concentrate on making Micha flip out," she added as a tease to try and keep the mood light while they could.

The very image of Micha’s surprised face got Theo grinning, “Da! We take picture, we record. We put up on Facebook. Is so funny!” Theo glanced at Willow, “Amalia suggest we say to make contest for position after Micha complains. And when he get ready to make fight, we will then reveal the prank.”

"Oh you're all devils aren't you," she chuckled, nodding her head. "I'm glad she's find with going along with it all." They came up to the house soon enough, Willow slipping out of the car once he'd parked so she could hurry inside to get ready. Any other day she would have expected him to follow her into the shower, but they were on a time schedule. Theo made a quick check to make sure his prank gift and his real gift were secured to his motorcycle. Geist was called over and given instructions to track Nurse Gale before he went inside to change his socks. That was something he forgot to do at the hospital. Then he tucked Bandit in his pocket and waited for Willow. After a good rinse of the pub smells and fussing with her hair, she slid on a dress from a recent shopping adventure and ushered him out the door.

1588886706972.png

They still had a little bit of time before they were scheduled to meet up with the others, meaning the drive to the restaurant wouldn't be rushed. Out of the car, she took his arm and walked in step with him, excited for a peaceful evening out with a bit of spice for entertainment sake. They were the first to arrive, taking their seats and settling on water until the others joined them. "I suppose after this I'll need to start getting more serious about planning. Molly won't let me half-ass anything, I can promise you that."

Theo picked up the menu, “Da, ha ha. I can see her now, pushing you to come with her for cake tasting and look at fabric. So funny.” That wouldn’t be all. There would be dress fittings, arranging a venue, and all kinds of tasks awaiting Willow. All this done with the same fervor she’d have for her own wedding, if and when one of them broke and gave up to the other, “Micha wants paintball gun bachelor party.” Theo chuckled, shaking his head, “I maybe okay with laser tag.”

"Paintball? Laser tag? How come that sort of thing never happens at bachelorette parties?" she questioned, though she preferred either of those to traditional bachelor parties. And to be fair she only had attended one bachelorette party in college that had been quite the mess. Surely now that they were matured it was going to be a civil affair.

Last edited:
“I hear Molly want to prank Micha’s party, by being secret team.” Theo pulled up the menu to hide his face as he said in a hushed voice,, “I spy with Bandit.”

Molly would dress her bachelorette party guests up in masks and a uniform. Then she would bribe the laser tag manager to make sure their information would be withheld from Micha. After, they’d already be in the building, ready, to shoot Micha’s down.

Her lips pursed together as she swallowed his secret, imagining the look on Micha's face to find out he was up against her the whole time. "Oh there will never be a dull moment, will there?"

“No, hope not.” Theo chuckled, taking a sip of his water, “You know, I have good idea,” Theo grinned, “You and me will pretend we don’t know. We take look at building layout, we are Captains of both our teams, we make plan to send them to certain spots, so we can both shoot them down, until only us left. What about you?”

"Sabotage a paintball bachelor party? I mean I won't say no, but are you sure that's how you want your party to go? Isn't it supposed to be some big deal for guys to get that last taste of freedom?" Or so Hollywood made it seem.

“What is big change? We already live in same house. That is myth. I am free when I am with you,” Theo gave her cheek a kiss, “And we have freedom to shoot people with laser.”

He did have a point there. "Fair enough. I just thought I'd put the offer out there," she said, though she was pleased with his response. "I just can't promise that Molly will let you guys join in on girls night."

Theo shrugged, “Is okay, Micha will probably get wasted and ride Kellsy in the ocean afterward anyway,” He went back to his menu, “I will record that too.”

“Hey,” Amalia’s voice drew their attention. She sat down so that Micha would have to sit next to her.

“Eh, ‘Malia.” Theo fist bumped.

Soon Molly and Micha were heard bickering on their way to the table with Theo and Willow. Apparently there was disagreement on what constitutes a cupcake and muffin, and if they’re just the same thing with different names.

Micha sighed, “Mollyshka, cupcake is sweet--”
“--so are muffins.”
“Not like a cake!”
“If I frosted the top of a muffin, you wouldn’t know!”
“Of course I would know! I am a cook!”

“Sh, sh, we’re here.” Molly waved him quiet. “Hey guys!” Molly smiled and hugged Willow before waving at Amalia, who didn’t like to be touched.

Micha took his place beside Amalia, scooting in without hugging anyone. Instead he gave a hearty hello to the two of them, “This place looks good, let’s hope the food is too.” He changed up the way he made his opinion known to not irritate others.

Amalia snorted, “Maybe they make a good muffin. Or was it cupcake?”

Molly wagged her finger, “Amalia, I swear.” She inhaled, exhaled, and smiled, “Alright, how you guys doing?”

Willow gave Amalia a welcoming nod, though it wasn't going to last long as the rest of their party came approaching with their bakery conundrums. She couldn't help but shake her head at the two, a bit worried on just how defiant any spawn would make might be. That could be a discussion once they finished arguing long enough to get married; she gave it two years.

"We're doing fine," she said, knowing whatever talk there was to be had of the hospital would be saved for a more private space. "We figured we should get some of the big announcements out of the way for wedding prep."

“Yeah?” Molly smiled, giving Amalia a questioning glance.

“Da, we want to formally ask you to take the job of Maid of Honor and Best Man.” Theo could see on their faces the amazing expressions he wanted. For one, Molly took a side sweeping glance at Amalia being here and a glint of murder appeared in her eyes. Two, Micha looked completely confident and fully prepared to accept the role as Best Man. “First, I will go.” Theo took out a fancy blue box, long and trimmed in silver, “Will you be my Best Man, Amalia?”

“Of course,” Both cousins said together. Willow had to pick up her menu to hide a smile, even years of acting unable to mask that reaction.

Micha took the box and stood up, smiling wide, but as he inhaled to speak, he paused, looked down at Theo and asked, “...What?”

Amalia, chuckling evilly, took the box from Micha and opened to show a platinum bracelet with diamonds set all around it, “Theo, I will be honored to be your Best Man.”

“You can’t be his Best Man, you’re not a man!” Micha said, incredulous.

“You can’t tell me what I can be,” Amalia tilted her chin up.

Micha had grown up with her, he knew when she was posturing for a challenge. So he puffed out his chest, “You wanna fight for it?”

“Right here, right now,” Amalia got up and took off her T-shirt, revealing a tank top beneath. The motion alerted customers to their wily behaviors. A murmur of concern fluttered around. A glance between Amalia's stone serious face and Theo's utterly delighted one had Willow hoping they weren't going to let things go too far. They still had to eat and if they got thrown out it might have meant the prank went too far.

Not going to be out done, Micha stood up. He pulled off his shirt, wearing nothing beneath. As soon as he did this, both Theo and Amalia flared out their hands and said, “GOTCHA!”

Looking between them, Micha blinked, “What?” Then he noticed Theo holding up a phone. As it dawned on him Micha broke out in a grin and bobbed his finger, “Aahhh, you got me!”

“That’s right, we did!” Amalia pulled Micha into a one-armed hug, bending him so she could press her fist against this head. Micha struggled away and fussed over fixing his hair.

Theo laughed heartily, “Ha ha! You should see you face! You can, I have it on phone!”

Molly joined in the amusement but kept a wary eye on Amalia as she and Micha sat back down, “Ha ha, you got him. I hope-- I hope that’s all the jokes for today.” She forced a smile.

Chuckling at Molly's uneasiness, Willow reached across the table to give her hand a reassuring squeeze. "Don't worry Molls, I wouldn't dare let them do that to you," she promised her. Unceremoniously, she removed a pink box that had been tucked on one side of the front of her dress, handing it to Molly. "Who else would I ask to be my Maid of Honor?" Inside was her weekend art project, a silver flask she'd decal-led just for her.

1588900398010.png

“Aww,” Molly almost teared up, forgetting her fantasy’s of throwing it down with Amalia as she took the gift, “Oh thank you Willow! I’m happy to accept.” She leaned and hugged Willow, “Of course there was no one else, I just get a little uppety sometimes.” Molly sat back and marveled at her present. She took out her puse to transfer the liquor in her plain flask, into this new one.

Amalia chuckled, “If you ever do want to box in the ring, I am free on Mondays and Sunday afternoons.”

Delighted from the moment, Molly took the offer well, “Woo, sounds good, ‘Malia.”

Micha, who had put on his shirt, gave his lover a rub on her back, “Ha ha, my Mollyshka.”

“Ah, Micha, here,” Theo handed him a new pairing knife with the words ‘Best Man’ inscribed on it, “For you.”

Grateful, Micha took it, but he didn’t seem as excited, “Eh, you didn’t uh….”

Theo raised his brows in question, smiling, “Hm?”

“You didn’t really ask me.” Micha chuckled halfheartedly.

“Oh,” Theo chuckled, “Micha, will you be my Best Man?”

“Da! I will!” Micha happily stowed his wonderful gift into his back pocket.

Molly gave Micha squinty eye, “Didn’t feel right, did it? Him not ‘asking right’, did it, Micha?”

“Well no it di-- Oh, hah.” Micha tossed his head back, “Ah, Myshka, not here.”

“Mhm, well, don’t worry, we’ll save it for home.” Molly smirked.

"You do realize she's never going to cave and it'll be a lot easier if you listen to her," Willow told Micha with a look of sincerity. "Especially if you want to marry her. She's never gonna stop being her stubborn ass self. Trust me."

Micha shrugged, “Eh, I can handle.”

“Is that a challenge, Micha Baranov?”

“Set and match, Mollyshka. How about we wrestle? If I win, you have to take me out on romantic date and ask me to marry you ‘the right way’.” He chuckled. Micha stood by his way being the most romantic, since it was in the moment of passion.

Molly laughed, “As long as there’s no Almaeri, I will make that deal.”

“Good. Then tonight?”

“Deal,” Molly shook Micha’s hand.

Theo and the others shook their heads, amused by the odd couple. Soon the took their orders. This time without Dave as their waiter. Looked like Fate had taken pity on poor Dave. And this waitress, Miss Sparrow, kept coming to the table at the cutest times! Once when Theo purred at Willow, once when Amalia told them she was glad they were a part of their lives, and once when she saw Molly and Micha work like an oiled machine and trade parts of their food they didn’t like, to give to the other.

After their meal the couples went their separate ways. It was too hard to address the topic o the clinic on a motorcycle. Theo waited until he was in house pants, with socks on, and a comfy cotton shirt before he sat down with a beer on the couch with Willow.

First, Theo told her how the night went. Nurse Gale had been with him, as always, and unfortunately they lost another kid. A little boy named Billie Chase. Theo had been going over the records with Nurse Gale in the room before he started to connect the dots. She transferred to his clinic the day he started. She had been the nurse escorting that little girl away. Theo thought it was for an appointment. But no. Doing some digging, Theo found the nurse brought the little girl back to the room. At first he brushed it off, but now he saw that each and every child had been having those little excursions when their parents mysteriously had to go to the bathroom after eating a refreshment from Nurse Gale herself. Theo nearly let it out of the bag that he was suspicious of Nurse Gale before coming to the luncheon.

“Красивый, if I am right, then I must do something.” Theo frowned, “But this is first time I am in this situation. I do not know what to do.” Back in Aarin, if you saw a lone wanderer, they would take a chance on you if you were young. But any old wanderers were immediately killed on sight. The damage an Elder Witch or Warlock could do had organically formed this policy. It was an unspoken rule. One that people found themselves ending up following without formal instruction, for how rare it was to meet old people and live. “If she is taking children lives, and so much so often, she is gone Insane.”

With the first steps of a wedding party assembled, they left for home with bellies full. Willow followed suit once they were home of getting into comfortable lounge clothing, taking up a seat beside him with a fresh glass of Rosé as she listened to his tale. She offered condolences for another loss, knowing how personal he was taking them and that he felt that he wasn't doing enough. That was short lived though, when he brought up his theory on the nurse.

She thought over his predicament, sipping slowly as he spoke. "Well, I mean there's only two options here, but regardless you need to find a way to be certain first," she said after a few moments. "It sounds too perfect for it to be just coincidences, but you also don't want you chase after someone who ends up being innocent. Is there something you can do to find out if someone is a witch?"

Da, I can bring Bandit. And I have sent Geist to track her.” Theo nodded. Usually he had Geist with him during his hours working at the clinic. A big raven wouldn’t be easy to sneak in and take a look at Nurse Gale up close. Bandit could, but he really should be taking creatures inside the clinic at all. “I am hoping Geist will let me know by Tuesday.” Some time for the raven to investigate.

She nodded; that was a good start. "Well, if he finds anything out to confirm she is a witch, then you're going to either need to find a way pin them on her so that everyone else sees that it's her and she gets fired or put in jail." Her first option was optimistic. Given the tales she was told over the past few months, she doubted Mrs. Gale would let herself be taken in. "Otherwise, well. I'm sure you have away of handling people who are out of control, right?" Normally she was a very peaceful person, but hearing each of these deaths only served to infuriate her further. No one had the right to steal these innocent young lives.

Theo gave a sheepish smile, “The way we handle it in past is to ‘put them down’. Insane mages are not held back by jail. And being fired only means she will do the same elsewhere.” Theo frowned, “I will have to put her down. I just don’t know what to do, because I never had to handle this in America. In Aarin it is simple. You just kill her and no one blinks.”

Willow knew that wasn't an easy thing for him to try and do. They were determined to build new lives and might have felt counterproductive to that. She shimmied over so she could rest against him, offering herself as comfort. "Well, you don't need to - and you shouldn't - try to do that alone," she said definitively. "But if she's old, maybe you can kill her without anyone thinking much of it. Just need it to seem natural."

Theo hadn't thought about that, they had always dealt with old people dying from other people, not ailments. But the idea brightened his mood, "Da, I can ask Natalia for something. Maybe heart attack." He hummed in thought over his choice of murder. Theo turned to Willow with a smile, "I knew I could work this out with you." He gave her a kiss.

She was glad she'd been able to help him just talk everything out, even if it was a topic she was quite opposed to. If Mrs. Gale truly was doing this, then she deserved death at the very least. "Just so long as you're being safe. For me, Theo."

“Of course,” Theo agreed, giving her a kiss. He would do his best to outsmart the witch. Theo decided to get to work a day earlier, now he had a suspect. The one day Nurse Gale had been spared his watchful eye now became one of caution for her, and changed behavior gave Theo a clue into her case.

Monday August 6, 2018

Waiting for word from Geist made it hard for Theo to focus. But he did. He had to. The children needed him. All he could do at work was hope he could spot signs of magic from Nurse Gale when she didn’t expect him around on this day, a Monday.

Meanwhile, the family did their usual routine. Molly and Micha were not bickering today. They decided to splash in the sea. Amalia thought it was quite hot too, and swam as well. About everyone besides Jovan, Lyov, and Granya, spent time in the water. It wasn’t that Granya didn’t like swimming. She just didn’t like the ocean. Too many unhappy experiences. Instead of romping around in the waves Granya sang with Finn beside Jovan who was in deep conversation with Lyov. At the moment they were finishing a song from one of Finn’s recent favorite Disney musicals: Tangled.

Granya harmonized with Finn’s voice. They sang again in unison for the very last verse, “~And it's warm and real and bright. And the world has somehow shifted. All at once, everything is different. Now that I see you. . .Now that I see you.”

They finished singing. Finn hopped once in delight, “Beautiful.”

Granya chuckled, giving his beak a stroke, “You sing great, Finn.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back