• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Spellbound

OOC
Here
Lore
Here
Worry still etched on Molly's face, she knew that her friend was not going to diverge from her path. Molly took a moment to breathe. "Ok." She exhaled. Molly faced the family. "Alright. We'll do it."

The words were not lost on them, but Jovan had to clarify. "Both of you?"

Molly gave a look that brooked no argument. "Yes. I'll work just as hard and if you ever need it I can feed a snake." She offered to sweeten the deal. Molly didn't need the money, but she looked with concern to Willow. "I'll give it a chance. But let me do this. I'll feel much better. I promise not to make a scene." She smiled, giving her friend a gentle poke on her shoulder.

The concept of just why she was so off-guard still escaped Willow, but she decided to simply let it be. If it was her turn to play the stubborn friend, then so be it. They'd be able to take on the small clan of Russian-Romanians together, or at least learn to tolerate being around so many animals.

There was no point in arguing, so the dark haired woman only nodded, offering an apologetic smile to the family across from them. Surely, this was a lot for them to ask; double your waiting staff just so she felt comfortable. Habitually, she leaned back into the poke, her smile spreading a bit wider. "You really are an absolute nuisance," she muttered under her breath, truly hoping this wasn't going to make them change their mind about giving her a job; the one who most definitely did need it.

In that moment of baited breath, her eyes naturally shifted over to Theo once more, dark eyes skimming over his face like a rock across a lake, taking in each detail that was somehow more enjoyable than the first time around. They'd ran into each other yet again, and even if Seabrook might not have been the largest town, it still felt like it had to mean something. That, or it was just a young woman tired of things going wrong hoping against the odds that this would be something in her favor for once.

Molly playfully stuck out her tongue and smiled. Perhaps she would work for a time and eventually admit that it was all just fine.

Theo was glad to find Willow looking his way, and gave her a grin, but his eyes went to his uncle. If anyone could make or break this moment, it was him.

Jovan stared with an unreadable expression. After what felt like several minutes, he thudded his fist to the table, “Both of you, early at six-thirty. If late, you fired.” So it was done! Just as Jovan got up he said to Theo something in Russian that made the man sigh and nod, as if whatever was said was kinda expected, and he’d have to observe it.

Once it was all said and done, Micha encouraged them to sit and work out their tasks, as well as to get to know them a bit. This, Theo was eager to do, but with a mild change in enthusiasm, too obviously influenced by what was said between him and Jovan. The kind of deflation that came over a young child who was grounded for a while.

Amalia chuckled and pat her cousin on his back, “Only for couple of weeks, eh?” She whispered, but Molly, at least, was just able to catch it.

Last edited:
Jovan's thundering decision brought an even wider smile to her pink lips, excited enough that even the idea of being awake at such a godawful hour was still tolerable. Besides, if it was going to prove just as fruitful as he had said, maybe she could learn to be a morning person.

The Russian exchange between the two men made her brow perk up slightly, wondering just what was said to leave him as if almost scolded in the aftermath. Willow folded back in the chair she had previously occupied, Molly at her side as always, listening as Micha started to outline the daily functions of the pub. She was blissfully unaware of the exchange between the cousins, although chance would likely have it that Molly would be just as eager to spill the tea as she might with anything else.

While Willow had spent her fair share of time in a few campus bars during her college years, it was safe to say she'd never worked at one. A small stint a year or so back was her most recent experience in waiting, though, so she hoped it be better than working at the Fifties decor diner that seemed a favorite of perverts and creeps alike. She sat with her forearms resting against he table, listening as well as she could, although admittedly she was a bit more curious regarding what had been said to curb Theo's playful antics so effectively.

Theo watched Willow as casually as he could without being obvious. His apparent nonchalant demeanor was far from how he felt inside. On the verge of a flirt here and there he felt a kick from Amalia, which may have given a hint to what had happened between him and his uncle if the girls were perceptive.

A couple of people arrived during their discussion on what to expect from this job, but each was turned away. One man in particular with high cheekbones and terracotta skin had urged them to consider him, but Micha shooed him off.

Molly got on with Micha, though mainly because she found some joy in smart-mouthing him. Amalia joined in too at times, which made it easier for Molly to feel more welcome.

Between them all, Theo did not exactly contribute to the main subject. “Willow—“ he would interject once in a while with a somewhat off-topic question. “—what do you do on weekend?” Most of the time he'd tac on. "And Molly, of course." Though it bothered his cousins at first, by now they had covered all the important issues. So, they did not stop him.

It took Willow a few good minutes of their discussion to pick up on just what was happening across the table. A familiar glimmer in Theo's eyes, the twitch at the corner of his mouth but just before he went too far, unseen movement jarred him to stop. After this happened a few times, she recognized that it was coming from Amalia, causing a knowing smile to spread across her own lips.

Those that came and were brushed aside gave her a sense of confidence in the fact that they were already quick to tell others the position had filled. It also gave her a sense of responsibility to make sure she could uphold their expectations,rather than be a disappointment that they'd have wish they had debated longer over before agreeing to. Either way, this was something she decided she needed to be invested in, for the sake of her sanity and not returning to her parents.

Each of his questions had managed to bring a smile to her lips, although she was quick to wave it away, wanting to be as professional as she could. His most recent question made it seem like he didn't have that same intention, though. After all, what coworkers wanted to know what happened when you weren't at work?

She felt the smile tugging at her lips as she glanced over at the others before her eyes settled on Theo once more. "Sometimes I'll spend my weekends shopping, other times volunteering, and some times I just stay at home doing absolutely nothing. It just depends on who I'm spending the weekend with," she said as likely a painfully open door, before taking it even a step further. "What about you, Theo? What do you do?"

Molly got into the swing of conversation despite her previous inhibitions, but she knew enough of Theo and Willow not to bother answering him. He didn’t notice.

Theo brightened having caught Willow in one of his questions. “Depends on if holiday. Regular weekend is chores, sometimes outing if good movie is new, sometimes weekend end up during Moon-Fishing.” Here Amalia and Micha skipped a beat, giving Theo a cautious glance, but they tried not to call attention— whether they were successful, they did not know.

Last edited:
He was such a playful soul that she couldn't help but chuckle as he listed off his weekend options. "Well, it's good to know that I'm not the only one with a less than thrilling social life," she smirked, moving her hands off the table and crossing them loosely over her chest instead. "I've never heard of moon fishing, though. Is that like night fishing or something?"

“Moon-fishing is—“ Theo scratched his right ear lobe with finger and thumb. “—is tradition in family. In Russia we go fishing in full light of moon. Is best time to gather most fish. We drink, we eat, we play music. We still do here each month.”

Micha thumped his cousin against his shoulder, “Moon-fish dangling like carrot in front of donkey.” He said, and apologized to Molly and Willow. “Is boring family tradition, do not envy.” he waved it off.

Theo wiggled his brow, his eyes on her. “Maybe not so boring to Willow.”

Amalia spoke in Russian to Theo and then said to Willow. “Sometime if Moon-fishing happens in week, pub will be closed. That is days off.” She offered in a light hearted manner. The next was said in an apologetic way, but not without firmness. “Uncle Jovan is like prickly pear. Family tradition is important.”

Molly didn’t know for sure, but just in case, “Oh, don’t worry, we’d never presume we can come without an explicit invitation.” This seemed to relieve whatever tension Alamia and Micha felt, though it made Theo roll his eyes. "I totally understand about that. Willow, I think I met ya'lls family, like once?"

She wasn't even a fan of fishing, but she had to admit that right then and there, it didn't sound so boring. The idea of being out on a boat in the middle of the night seemed almost romantic, at least as it dangled from Theo's lips. Then again, maybe she was just in this silly haze still too much to be thinking like that.

At Molly's insistence, she figured she needed to nod as well. "Of course, family traditions are for families," she agreed, rolling her eyes habitually at the mention of her own. "Just let us know whenever we need to come or not. To work, of course," she clarified. "I'm sure I can find something to fill the weekends with."

“Of course.” Amalia smiled. She got up from the table. “We look forward. But now is late. Go to sleep.” The cousin went behind the bar and in the back. They could still see her, feeding her snake with live rats.

Molly blinked. It was late. It felt cooler too. “Oh, my stars.” She laughed. “Well how about that? It’s probably near nine.”

“It can’t be.” Micha started to say, but the dog on the floor shifted and stood up to stare at him. The head of the furry canine surpassed the height of the bar. Molly hadn’t seen one so big. The animal licked its chops. “Oh, never mind. Is probably nine. C’mon Bear, let’s get you meat.” Micha said farewell and good night.

Molly stood up. “I’ll meet you in the car, Willow. Bye fellas.” She waved.

Theo got up and followed Willow to the door. “I’m not going to dance around bush. . .I like you Willow, if not notice already.” He chuckled. “But prickly pear uncle says I need to tap breaks. I promise him no flirts, no dates, at least two weeks. . .so, if you see this—“ He took out his bun, his black hair fell to the nape of his neck. Theo swept it back up into a knot. “—then know that is my flirt, and that is me asking you out on date in two weeks.”

Everyone seemed equally surprised by how quickly time had passed, rising and doing little stretches to encourage blood flow again. The towering dog brought a bit of delight to Willow who had always had a soft spot for dogs (even the demon chihuahua, up to a certain point) rising from her chair and lacing her fingers together.

It was a bit too convenient that everyone else dispersed from the room, leaving Willow and Theo to themselves as she pushed her palms away from her chest, arms nearly numb from how long they'd been sitting. She was about to comment on how it was nice to see him again, thinking it wouldn't be too over the top or early to make a casual comment when he dove right in.

Willow leaned against the door frame while he gave his less than surprising confession, her grin growing as she looked up at him. "It's good to know I'm not the only one," she admitted, hoping that wasn't about to make the next two weeks extremely hard on him. "And it's also good to know up front that you are terrible at keeping secrets, Theo. I'm pretty sure your cousins wanted to facepalm themselves a few times with how obvious you make it. But...it's cute. I just hope you're not going to get tired of putting your hair up and down over the next couple weeks and then decide I'm not worth the wait."

Her dark chocolate eyes flitted about his face playfully, keeping her arms around her chest for fear that lose they might do something she'd regret. Praise to Uncle Jovan for putting up a rule, otherwise she might have dove face first into a smile that was playful and seemed certain to get them both into trouble. She found her thoughts roaming to how she wanted to be the one to pull that tie out and run her slender fingers through his dark hair, cheeks darkening when she realized just how rampant they were going.

Clearing her throat to clear those thoughts away, she gave him an apologetic smile. "I should go... so Molly isn't waiting. Until tomorrow, Theo?"

At the mention of hoping he doesn’t decide it isn’t worth it, Theo shook his head dismissively. “Nonsense. Bandit likes you, I trust her judgment.” He pointed out the ferret had returned and was sitting contentedly by her ankle. If she hadn’t noticed before, it was there now. “Besides, how not to like a smile as yours?”

Theo wasn’t without his own fire in his eyes like green flames. But of course, he knew more than most not to cross his uncle. Theo nodded to what Willow said, “Is best.” For now. Bandit came racing up to Theo’s shoulder, her nose reaching out in Willows direction. “Bandit says bye.” He chuckled.

“Oh, wait—“ He jogged over to the back of the bar and came back with two transparent green baggies. “Happy Salami Day.” He handed them over. Both were filled with medallion sized cuts of various salami, individually wrapped with the corresponding brand of the manufacturer. “For the two of you.”

Willow chuckled, giving the little creature a wave, deciding not to risk surprising her with a pet quite yet. "Well, if Bandit likes me, then I must be worth it," she said as a light joke. "I'll see Bandit and you tomorrow morning, then. Very, very early morning," she added with emphasis on just how early it was.

She was delayed a moment longer to be handed the bags of meat cuts, causing her to laugh again. "Thank you. Happy Salami Day to you too," she relayed the bizarre celebration back before giving Theo a final look and backing out of the pub. The short walk out to the car and awaiting Molly were spent with a lingering grin, two bags of salami in her hand and steps much lighter than they had been that morning.

Sliding into the passenger seat, she tossed one bag at Molly with a,"Happy Salami Day," to keep this odd tradition going. Letting out a content sigh, she let her had fall back on the headrest, unable to shake the smile off her lips, eyes closing for a few seconds of bliss before she knew her friend would unload with questions, no doubt.

“Oh girl, na ah.” Molly happily dipped into her bag while pulling out from the parking lot. “I was regretting my decision a moment there, what with those vibes, and waking up so early, and they got squirrels, and snakes too! But if they got this as a thing—“ she popped one into her mouth. “Mmm! I’m into it!”

Any questions had to wait a few salami bites into the drive. Finally, Molly said, “So, I don’t know what they said, but Theo’s cousin had whispered ‘two weeks’ to Theo? Not sure what that’s about. He seemed pretty deflated.” She peered over at her friend. "And what took you so long, hm? Were y'all smoochin'?"

It was a bit of a relief to see just how easily they could quell Molly's vibes and superstitions. Who knew that the way to the girls hear was right through her stomach? "Maybe I'll have to throw that poor Micha a bone to let him know how much more receptive you get once you have a full belly," she smirked, enjoying the silence for a few moments before opening her eyes.

The two week comment made her chuckle, a little impressed by her friends sleuthing abilities. "Jovan, the uncle, told him that he couldn't flirt or try to date me for two weeks," she explained now that they had a bit of insight, deciding to keep his little hair signal to herself, at least for now. It might not have been a front yard declaration by John Cusak, but it was certainly enough to keep her in a good mood with little effort.

"So to answer your question queen gossip, no we were not smooching. I was just saying goodnight and getting us each a bag of meat for the drive home," she continued before fishing out one of the salami cuts to bite into. "Six thirty... Lord, that is early. Maybe when we show up bigger bears than Jovan is he'll change his mind and push it back an hour." An optimistic plea for the sake of her sanity, but in reality she knew they couldn't complain given how fortunate everything had seemed.

The thought of Micha cooking for Molly to gain her affections made her nose scrunch. The idea was funny and she laughed with her friend. “Well hey, if the meal was delicious enough, maybe!”

Hearing about Jovan’s conditions for Theo, she said, “Well, I suppose a cautious uncle is better than a jackass like mine. They seem like a pretty chill family. . .I admit, those vibes kinda dissipated.” She said as they rolled up to Willow’s place. “Honestly, I started feeling more relaxed after the last interviewee left. I don’t know what to tell yah, but the air felt lighter.” Molly hummed in thought. “Maybe because the job felt more real?” She sighed. “As real as six-thirty will feel tomorrow. At least we get Mondays off. . .and whatever holiday these Russians will come up with, hopefully! Plus, maybe those Moon-Fishing trips will last a couple days.” Just as they came to a halt, Molly gave her friend a farewell hug, “Get sleep! We’ll need it."

Willow took Molly's comments to heart considerably more than the first time she had mentioned her vibes. After all, the Belle had never lead her astray before, and everything seemed to checkout in the end. They both would be working together where she'd let her know if any of her superstitious tingles reared their ugly heads. "Yeah, I'll admit I'm not looking forward to that," she groaned, giving her a quick squeeze before sliding out of the car. "I'll see six for the grumpiest carpool of my life."

Her elated feelings carried her across the crunching gravel of the parking lot and up three air conditionless flights of stairs down a dimly lit hall to apartment 32. Well, it was apartment 32, however the '2' had a tendency of abandoning it's job announcing which apartment it was, instead toppling to the ground. That meant that Willow was prone to getting the confused visitor at the wrong door on an almost weekly basis, not to mention the false hope of pizza that really needed to go two doors down. Sighing, she looked around for a moment before spotting the cheap brass knockoff number on the ground, picking it up and trying to prop it back on the screw that held it in place once upon a time.

Walking into the one bedroom apartment that she called home, she only stopped in the cramped but clean kitchen to put the remaining salami in the fridge. Everything was tucked away in it's assigned place, just like the rest of the dwelling, more forced from lacking space to be messy than mannerisms. A few minutes later she was ready to collapse in bed, human necessities complete and curled up in comfortable pajamas. The morning would come soon enough, and as she was drifting off to sleep, she couldn't help but see Theo with his hair down, one last time.

As predicted, the following morning came far too soon. The manufactured sound of marimbas rose and fell in volume along the scales until summoning her from slumber. Groaning, she killed the alarm before forcing herself out of bed. A glance out the window told her it wasn't even light outside, a fact that she was much more bitter about than she had been the night prior.

Quick math told her that she could treat herself to a morning rinse, even though that would mean sacrificing a real breakfast for toast on the run. It was going to be give and take like that for a few weeks until her body learned to adjust to the new schedule. Putting on soft music so as not to wake the neighbors through rather thin walls (a courtesy they seldom extended to her) she stepped into the shower and allowed the steaming water to help lull her to a bright stage of consciousness.

Wrapped in a towel with a second around her hair, Willows next task was finding what to wear. Wanting to keep everyone impressed aside, they hadn't really gone over clothing or were even told if there'd be a uniform to wear. Deciding she wasn't brave enough to go with a dress two days in a row (for fear of seeming too eager to gain a certain someone's attention) she settled on a pair of 'nicer' jeans that lacked any holes or tears and a pale pink blouse with the smallest polka dots around it, accompanied with a pair of basic black flats.

With the clock inching toward six, there wasn't going to be much time for hair or make up, at least nothing too extravagant. Her fingers danced through her freshly brush dark hair, weaving it into a braid to follow the curvature or her neck and rest on her collar and chest. Barely satisfied with the result, she had put on the smallest bit of make up (mostly to hide her exhaustion) just as her phone alerted her that it was six. Cussing under her breath, she snatched up her purse, heading out the door in such a hurry that she didn't even snatch the toast out of the toaster. It was going to be a long day on an empty stomach it seemed.

Last edited:
Before dawn Jovan lit the propane lantern for light. It would not have mattered if it were blazing outside or not. The re-purposed yacht, the Epith Grey, had no windows below. They went through fuelslowly though, for all the time they spent on land. In these cold, early mornings, Jovan remembered the time he spent in Russia. The songs, the dancing, even before. These still lived in him. The boat they lived in now barely accommodated them. This, he used to lament. But as the years passed Jovan treasured the quiet of the dawn for the only reason he now lived; his daughter.

0ee69346c3aee3e6c0aed6d8119ae250.jpg

Jovan cut a slice of black bread for Natalia. He got out a circular tin from the foot-long pantry, peeled back the metal lid, and plucked out a few Bullihead fish from the tomato sauce. These he pressed into the hard bread, so they wouldn’t shift when she grabbed it for work. Jovan put the rest in the small fridge.

Almost prophetically, Natalia came shuffling from her half of the ship wearing her grey and blue scrubs, and with her doctor's satchel across her chest. Jovan could see her mother in her eyes, in her cheeks. In silence, he handed her the breakfast of a thousand mornings.

Natalia smiled, lightly, gratefully. “Morning, Father.” she said in Russian.

“Da.” Jovan returned her affection.

A light squeak drew Jovan’s attention to the marmoset curled around the neck of his daughter. Grey, tiny. The primate blended well with Natalia’s outfit. Hardly anyone noticed Pippin. When they did, it was all fascination and awe.

9d593dfecab94a8696e3e498f7e7b557.jpg

“I’ll be off work earlier today. I want to see this woman Theo has fallen for. Is she like the last?” Natalia asked, her English far superior than the others, thinking of the year before and the woman with eyes as black as coal and with a heart like one set aflame.

“No, not like the other.” Jovan said, a compliment as any he could give for the first impression. “This one has. . .” He couldn’t find the right word in English. “Radost.” He offered.

Crunching her bread as she walked towards the dark of the morning, Natalia looked back with a raised brow and a full mouth. “How can you tell?”

Jovan shrugged a shoulder. “Maybe I am fool. Call it sense.” He shooed her. “Out.”

Natalia’s footsteps faded with her words of goodbye. Jovan packed up his wallet, phone, and keys. He walked up the short stairs, locked the door to their boat, and peered at the waning moon. Jovan murmured a phrase and then went onward to drive to work. His nephew and niece would already be awake, if they knew what was good for them.

True to that, Micha had been up and running, literally, with Bear around the blocks. He splashed through morning puddles, scaring off ravens for the noise, sure to dry by noon. Amalia fed her snake a small mouse, as an appetizer, and allowed Avril the boa to wrap around her arm and neck while she prepped the kitchen. They were expecting the others soon.

The clock struck six. Theo grabbed a couple syrniki for the road. He had woken only time to change clothes. He had been up late with Granya, trash-talking people online she didn’t like, to cheer her up. Theo ended up mentioning he liked a girl and Granya wanted more than just that! Theo insisted they sleep and left her with a head buzzing with curiosity. Now Granya chased him to the door, demanding answers to her questions, “But what is name? At least name!” She yanked his arm.

Theo shook his head. “I give you only one clue—soap.” And with that he shut the door. Granya spoke some naughty Russian words that had Lyov calling her out from the kitchen. Theo burst in merriment, checking Bandit was in his pocket before driving off. A few leagues along he noticed two ravens following him. Theo sped up and lost them.

Wind whipped at his body, like a cat-o-nine-tails of fire. Texas weather still challenged Theo. The whole newness of this land did. Theo reflected, as he sometimes did, upon the past. A promise of new life had been their driving force. Loss, their motivation. A couple times Theo believed he had met his new promise with Karen, and then with Olivia. Perhaps this time, with Willow, it truly would be a new life. Theo wondered how he’d do when his last months of residency ended. It was just two months until he continued. Would Willow see a new life in him? Enough to stick with him during that time? Theo could only hope.

The sun colored the sky, though it did not peer over the edge just yet, when Theo arrived. He parked in the back where the other employees did. When he walked in he could smell the makings of food. There was the cottage cheese fried cakes, like those he ate that morning. Micha was just boiling dozens of lazy vareniki, and drizzling honey on a stack of bliny with fresh berries in a bowl of cream nearby. Fried eggs, a classic, were piled beside a pot of semolina porridge. There would be no grenki today. Any of their bread would be saved for that for tomorrow, if they went stale.

Theo helped set the tables in the front for their breakfast before the store opened. Once that was done, he made sure the tea and kvas was ready in pitchers. Bandit was shooed from the tea, so she went after crumbs of the bread dropped on the floor. Bear came slobbering in, mouth red with his morning meal. Micha cursed about the drops of blood and wiped off his beasts muzzle, sending him to sit out back.

Amalia pulled napkins from a cabinet, smiling at her brother. “And you said Avril made a mess?” She quipped, not minding anything he said as she strolled to the table.

About six-thirty the family had put all their food on the longest table of the restaurant half of their pub. Theo went to the doors, both to make sure the sign said ‘closed’ still, and to see if Molly and Willow were here. To his delight he saw the Accord pulling towards the back. Any minute he’d see her walking in. Theo felt his heart beat loud in his chest.

Two weeks. Two weeks only. Theo reminded himself, walking to his spot at the table where a seat was vacant next to him. Micha made sure he had a vacant spot too.

Last edited:
The drive into work was an oddly silent one, the two hardly muttering a word to each other. Any giddiness or excitement from the night before was drowned out by the desire to crawl back into the bed. They both were functioning, but that didn't mean they wouldn't turn down another two to four hours of sleeping rather than crossing town this early. The only saving grace was that there were hardly any cars on their route and traffic was thin.

Willow coaxed Molly out of the car, making promises to get her moving. Yes, on the next day they both had off they could sleep in and then go to the damn mall. Whatever it to get sleeping beauty inside. Purse dangling off one shoulder and this time she was the one looping an arm around Molly's arm as they headed into the pub.

Faint voices could be heard around the corner that she followed around, a quick glance at her watch to confirm they weren't late. When the long table came into view, she stopped, offering the family a sheepish smile. "Oh, sorry. We didn't mean to interrupt family breakfast or anything," she apologized, spotting the empty seats but not connecting the dots. "Do you want us to get started on something while you all eat?"

A zombie, Molly's eyes grew wide as if her undeadself saw human brains laid out in the form of porridge, pan fried cakes, and roasted potatoes. She practically lurched forward with Willow in tow. Micha got up and herded her to the seat by him and helped Willow out by unhooking their arms since Molly's blank mind could only register food.

"Sit, eat." Jovan motioned for Willow. He did not seem offended by Molly, and in fact, the rest of the table was peering at Willow and why she hadn't sat yet.

Theo gestured to her. "Work doesn't start until eight, come here my krasavitsa— ." he said, and darted his eyes to Jovan who tapped his fork on the side of his plate in warning, to which Theo coughed and said, "— I mean, come here. Sit, eat."

If there was a way to word a better rescuing statement than saying they wouldn't work for an hour and a half, she couldn't possibly think of it. After making sure that her arm was still in tact, she followed Theo's gestures to the free seat, lowering herself down and tucking her purse under the chair.

The Russian word that she didn't recognize made her curious, but the response from Jovan gave her a general idea of what he meant. Planning on questioning him about it later, she looked at the food before them. While some was vaguely familiar,a majority was unrecognizable, it all smelled absolutely delicious. "You do this every morning? Eat all of you together?" Willow leaned toward Theo and asked softly, not wanting to distract the others who would likely be eating.

"Yes, is family." Theo said simply, while encouraging her to try everything. "Natalia is veterinarian, so she does not eat here. Lyov is not ready to be in world, so he stays with Granya, so eat at home."

The others were, indeed, preoccupied. Both eating and talking. Molly didn't care that a snake was near her across Amalia's shoulders, nor did she bother to shoo Micha when he leaned in to feed her. It was all he could do to yank the fork from her mouth when she bit down. Jovan rolled his eyes and shook his head. Amalia took a picture with her phone.

Willow couldn't think of the last time she and her family had shared a meal like this, although she had a sneaking suspicion it would have been a Christmas dinner years ago. They were all so close to each other and not even barking down throats, an absolute miracle in her book. It had been months since she could have even a civil phone call with her mother, so everyone eating a hearty meal at dawn so joyfully made her feel the smallest bit guilty.

She took timid bites of everything she was offered and kept coming back to the warm tea, counting on it to wake her up. After a few minutes, referencing back to Theo's comments from earlier. "Are they your cousins too? Natalia, Lyle and, um... The ones who aren't here?" She tried to recall the names he had listed, feeling a bit ashamed that seemed to be a horrible listener.

“Is Lee-ohv and Grawn-yah.” Theo repeated, and meant no offense by pronouncing it slowly, and took no offense that she said them incorrectly. “They are Grandpa and niece.” Theo explained. “They come sometime. Natalia is come today, Da?” He aimed that last part at his uncle who nodded.

“After hours.” Jovan added.

Amalia allowed her boa to slip down off her shoulder to the floor. “Is bring Dr. Kobayashi?” An impish grin formed on her face.

Jovan, ever the grump, flattened his thick brows. “Why you ask?”

Micha caught on, looking with fondness at Molly. “Is National First Love Day, no?”

Theo brightened, “Da, September nineteenth.” Turning to Willow with a smile. "Well, in Russia anyway."

“Ugh.” Jovan, defeated, thoughtfully chewed on his bliny before saying. “In light of National First Love Day, people with their First Love will get 20% discount. Micha, put sign up.”

“Can I have discount?” Micha asked, getting up.

“No.” Jovan stated.

Molly laughed, now that she was coming out of her zombie-state. “Well, stars, I’m not eligible I guess. S’pose my boyfriend wouldn’t either.” She was drinking her kvas and didn’t see Micha’s look of surprise, annoyance, despair, and sudden surge of unwarranted determination.

“No one here gets discount, you all workers!” Jovan said, with a thud of his fist. No one took it offensively, no one was taken aback. It seemed a fist-thumping uncle was a common occurrence.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back