• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Spellbound

OOC
Here
Lore
Here
While Molly was engaged in her own shower, Willow fussed with her hair in the much smaller and partially cracked bedroom mirror. Unlike her friend, she wasn't planning to do anything other than force it to mildly behave while staying down. After a few moments though, she took into consideration that they were going to be outdoors for at least a few hours which could mean sweating. Deciding to start with most of her hair up, twisting it into a half-bun not unlike how Molly's hair had been styled after being colored. This left only a thin layer of hair down against her neck, although she'd have a tie if it got to be too much.

She was already in the kitchen when Molly was chasing after the toast and whatnot. The aged coffee maker was giving her a few fits, but after a few good smacks the sound of percolating filled up the kitchen. "So, what time do you think we should head to the park?"

“Mm, just before lunch sounds good.” Molly said as she soaked the bread in the egg mixture. “We should bring stools or a sheet to sit on, in case they don’t have enough for us.”

The pan sizzled against the cool, wet bread. Heat slowly cooked the tender middle and crusted the sides to a golden brown. Molly made two each for them. When that was done, she fried sausages.

“Do you think they like music at the park? I was thinking we can bring my anker core speakers and I can blue-tooth some music off my phone.” Molly said as she platted the toast, sprinkling with powdered sugar and topping with whipped cream and strawberries. They had enough for the shortcakes. “Also, how do you feel about a custard for the shortcake fillings? In addition to the strawberries.”

Not feeling nearly as confident in her baking abilities as Molly seemed to be, Willow was meticulously following a recipe on her phone to work on the shortcake base. She had already set aside a bowl of cut up strawberries mixed up with a fair amount of sugar, letting it refrigerator while she hunkered over the current bowl. It had been a long time since she had baked and her uncertainty was visible while she did a few extra minutes of stirring before pouring it into the greased pan.

"I wouldn't imagine they'd be upset about the music. They seemed to enjoy it quite a bit Friday," she commented, taking a break to lean against the fridge. It wasn't a giant kitchen, but they both managed to fit. She thought on the prospect of the custard, her face scrunching up at just how much extra work that'd be. It would taste significantly better, no doubt, and she did want a strong first impression of kitchen abilities, even if it was false pretense. "Yeah, I suppose we should, although you need to taste test it. I haven't done custard in ages." Back into the fridge for the eggs and butter.

Molly made a note to bring her speakers. She’d need to stop by her home anyway, to drop off her shopping items. Might as well grab a sheet for the park and a cushion too. To remember, she tapped it into her phone before making the omelets next.

“Oh honey, yes I will.” Molly grinned. Being the taste tester was her favorite. “I bought good quality vanilla for the french toast, so you can use that for the custard.” Oh yum, custard was one of Molly’s favorites. “Hey, wanna do some karaoke at the park? We can get some songs off of YouTube. Maybe you and your Russian fella can sing together.”

She'd leave Molly up to being the responsible one. As well as being the guinea pig for flavor. There was the tinniest fleck of jealousy at how the Southern Belle seemed to have a bottomless stomach that came with no repercussions. Sure, Willow would have a night of indulgence here or there, but she felt if she had gone through all those eating contests with as much determination she'd have a waistline to show for it. The only thing that was remotely large on Molly was her hands, and that was something Willow'd take if it meant she'd get to stay nice and trim while being a true foodie.

Scalding the milk-vanilla mixture in the microwave, she added it to the flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. More stirring; not her favorite thing. If space was allotted, she'd have invested in a mixer long ago. As it was, she was old fashion wire whisking her arm to death at this rate. Taking a break from mixing, she threw on some music, now that it wasn't too early in the day to upset any neighbors, before digging back into the custard.

"I tell you, they better be awfully pleased with this shortcake," she muttered, a huff under her breath while setting everything back to the stove. "That and Theo better not starting thinking I'm some Betty Crocker or Martha Stewart. I don't know if I could keep up in the kitchen if it wasn't the day after a pedicure each time."

If Molly had heard Willow say so, she’d have admitted she felt more than a twinge of jealousy about Willow’s beauty. Effortless is a word Molly would use. Simply elegant, and of course those lovely chocolate eyes. Molly compared her own brown to mud. A smooth, umber mud. And a random dark spot in her left iris. She got that checked out just in case. Nothing wrong, just happens to be more pigmented.

Molly slid their omelettes onto their plates. “Oh I’m sure they will love it.” She insisted, washing her manly hands of the smears and marks from cooking. “And I mean even without Theo’s love-glasses he’d think it’s delicious. I know I do.” As for the next par, Molly laughed, “Stars, you running around a kitchen wearing an apron all day? I don’t think so. Besides, I think Micha is enough of a Kitchen Queen for all of us.” Molly set the plates down and put a pitcher of orange juice on the table as well. She turned and set her hands on the top, looking at Willow with realization, “You know who he reminds me of? Schmit from New Girl.”

She accepted the compliment on her mediocre cooking without further objections. She'd take what she could get, even if it was unearned after the last several years of learning to cook for herself. Domestic life was undoubtedly in her future, regardless of whether or not a rogue was going to be a part of it, meaning someone in the house would need to be able to make sure necessary nutrients were received.

"He is a bit of a diva at the stove," she agreed, thinking of just how dramatic he had been on her attempt the prior week to get a lunch item during breakfast. "If only that meant he was going to keep feeding me for the rest of my life. I'll leave that fortune to you." A light tease, although she did hope that Molly was going to give poor Micha a full chance, and not just one that was balanced on her brows. "He is a lot like Schmidt. Very dramatic and eccentric. Think you can keep up with those kind of antics?"

“Oh stars, if ever we got together I can tell we’d both be giving each other in competition for who makes the most antics.” Molly sat down at the table, waiting for Willow to sit before beginning. Perhaps one day, if they did date, he could dress up as Schmit for funnies, for Halloween. “Hey, are you and Theo going to do Halloween?” Willow had been estranged from her family for a while now. But they were too busy to do holidays normally. And too poor. But things were different now.

Willow took her place next to her at the tiny table, sitting back to relax. They had quite the afternoon ahead of them, and needed to keep track of everything they'd be bringing to the picnic. She happily bit into the toast and sausage, a noise of food gratification escaping her. It wasn't the pub food, but she also was due for a good old Texan breakfast to change things up. "Halloween? That''s like a month away," she said with a chuckle, trying to imagine just what they'd do. "I mean, I don't know what we'll be doing by then. Plus what would we even go as?"

“I have an idea of what you guys’ would be doin’ by then.” Molly snorted a laugh, taking a sip of a drink to hide her smirk. She wiped her mouth with a napkin, “Well, if you get him to watch Lion King, maybe Nala and Simba-- I can’t believe he hasn’t seen it yet!” Molly interrupted her own thought. She took a big bit of syrupy toast, saying in muffled exasperation, “D’as cravy.”

She felt that familiar heat building in her cheeks, turning her focus instead to her plate so she wasn't forced to look at that smug look she knew Molly had. "The Lion King would be fun," she agreed after a few bites of juicy sausage. "I bet he'd look handsome even if he had a mane on."

She didn't disagree that it was odd for him to have missed out on a mantelpiece for their childhood. She had to attribute it to just a culture gap, or some other obstacle from his history she knew very little about. Maybe that'd be something she'd want to gently pry into once they'd officially entered into their relationship status.

Molly swallowed her bite of omelete, “Just get him to fluff what he’s got. It’s a built-in mane.” After a thought and her last sausage, she said, “Well, wait. He’d have to use some temporary dye. Otherwise, he’d look more like Scar.”

Now, if Molly had to be honest, Scar wasn’t bad looking. He was just a jerk. Maybe a little on the less muscular side. But you know, he killed her man Mufasa and no amount of big cat hotty hotness can excuse such a crime.

Clearing her plate, Molly said, “We can get lion ears and tails. And you’d do great on makeup.” She walked over to the sink, “I think I’m gonna save my unibrow to dress up as Frida Kahlo.”

"Mmm," a sound of appreciation for those glorious locks and all the times she'd watch him rearrange his silky strands, admittedly wanting to feel them between her fingers. Soon, if everything went according to plan. "I'm not sure how he's going to look with lighter hair, but I wouldn't be opposed to finding out."

Molly was always such a great rock and support system for her. She'd offer up even half an idea if it meant keeping someone else going, and it was the kind of momentum that Willow had needed in the past few years. "Oh hush, it won't be that noticeable of a unibrow by then, you'd have to pencil it in," she insisted, following suit to clean up breakfast before checking on the custard. "But look at you thinking ahead to Halloween. Sure already that you won't be half of a couple costume as well?"

“I may have to pencil it in some, but I think it’s just been a while since its full power has been unleashed, I think we’re forgetting the strength it holds. It may well be bushy enough for that costume.” And to test Micha. Something she only did once with a past boyfriend. It was an accident too. Showed her exactly who he was about.

Since then, up till now, Molly had paid special attention to her brow. But now she sensed maybe she would find a different response in Micha. Only one way to know.

Molly didn’t want to admit it just yet, but she did like Micha. And maybe the idea of a Halloween with him would be fun. “Oh stars, who knows? I still have to see if my brow will freak him out. I’m gonna spring it on him. Gonna use coverup and wax to conceal it. They have a hunting trip every November. When he comes back Imma show up at the Pub with it in full view.” She chuckled.

Well, she couldn't deny that there was some true lower to that bushy bridge that formed. It had made scarce appearances since they were young and turned to the more feminine lifestyle of wanting to appeal to boys rather than play with them. Molly had confidence in her choice of test, so Willow would oblige and fight all urge to warn poor Micha.

"Ooh, my girl, you are planning on playing him dirty," she tsked at the plan, starting to run water for a cycle of dishes. "Alright, so for the next month and a half you will let the Amazonian forest grow wild. In the meantime, I just want to be on the record as saying I think he will be able to see through the bushes and recognize that you are a timeless beauty and fight to call you his own. If I ever switched sides to bat, I would definitely chase you down."

While Molly would have had the best come back for Willow if the roles had been switched, saying ‘Oh I know just what dirty I’d be doing’ him’, she would save it for Willow if the opportunity arises. It had to be organic for the best results. For now Molly winked and grinned instead.

“Honeybun, if we ever switched sides to bat, we’d be an unstoppable force. Me and my Butch, yet feminine flare, and you with your Deadly Damsel demur.” Molly hummed an ‘Mmm’ that said it all. But as it was, they were straighter than arrows and often shot bullseye into the target of men. “We’d make the world cry.” She wiped the last plate clean and took a glance at the time. “We got an hour and a half before noon. I got to drop by the house. Here, let’s assemble these shortcakes real quick and get goin’.” Molly smiled, already sliding out the containers they bought in two rows. “Gimme extra custard in mine too.” She said, taking a swipe of some from the bowl.

Last edited:
They would be a pretty ridiculous duo, no doubt, seeing as how strong they built the other up already in a platonic manner. Thoughts to be left for friendly banter and overactive imaginations of a few around them. Women just tended to be more comfortable with their sexuality that they could cross a few faint lines without there being any misunderstandings or needs to announce 'no homo' after a grazed boob or what have you. That and bunking down together wasn't quite the ordeal for them, whereas in comparison she couldn't imagine her brother sharing a bed with even the closest friends. Well...maybe.

The custard, shortcake and strawberry mix were laid out to make a production line for their dessert cups. Chunks of shortcake were cut and started as the base before the custard was dispensed (plenty extra in one for Molly) and then passed to Molly to finish with strawberry drizzle and a saran wrap top. "Okay, but then this one," she said as she passed over one cup, "is mine and needs a few extra strawberries." Who says the barter system can't work in America?

Before long, they were all filled up and tucked into a cardboard box for the time being. They'd snag Molly's cooler on their stop to keep them a little more chill and less melty. Snacks packed and looking like a couple themselves, they headed down to the reliable waiting Accord. Carefully balancing the box on her knees, Willow couldn't help but grin broadly, excited for what the day might bring.

There was nothing Molly would argue against. In fact, it amused Molly when she came across people who got all flustered about the topic. That would be one subject Wesley and Molly may well have fun goofing over, if she ever met him. They would most likely have the most fun messing with Everest about it too.

Again, Molly had no qualms about the treats. A few strawberries were needed, of course, but her friend could have the rest if her heart desired. How dreadful, if a communist approach to their desserts meant far less custard for her, given to someone who rather have the strawberries! Molly, in these times, mentally saluted her father.

Molly took care with her driving, lest the delectables be in danger. The Accord drove like a beast. Not one single squeal or unexpected jerk. Soon she’d have enough money to get her windshield replaced. And once she paid off the car by early next year, she could sell it for a pretty penny and get a nicer car! These thoughts were voiced as she pulled up to her apartment.

“I’ll be back real quick, just a moment.” Molly said, slipping out of her seat and running up to the doors. She left her car keys with Willow so she could listen to the radio.

While Willow waited she heard familiar yips and yaps. On the first floor, behind the bars of the balcony facing forward, jumped an old snarly Zika. She bounded this way and that. Her focus up on the branches across to the other side of the apartment. Two crows sat on the branch closest to Molly’s window. One stared at Zika and the other kept its eye on Molly’s window. The curtains were open. From where she sat, Willow could see the shape of Molly digging through her drawers. Probably for her speakers. Upon finding it Molly glanced at the window and froze. For a minute she stood there, staring at the crows. Then she darted towards the curtains and yanked them closed. The crow who had been watching irritatedly cawed and hopped.

Moments later Molly came through the entrance to the apartment building, a little pale, and with her cooler under one arm and the speaker in the other. As Molly came to the car she felt it easier to breath. Her smile brightened at seeing Willow. A cornerstone, an anchor. First she put the speaker between them up front, then she set the cooler in the backseat.

“It’s a little beat up, but it should do.” Molly said, opening it to put the shortcakes into it. She had already put some frozen bottles inside to keep it a degree or two cooler.

Ah yes, the three pounds of sheer terror that never shut up. If she would have been Molly, Willow would have moved out long ago, less she end up losing her mind from all that sounds. You'd think something so small wouldn't be able to rack up all that fuss, but Zika sure had a talent. Music in the car was turned up just a few notches more to drown out the demon creature, tapping her fingers along to the beat as the radio played.

There was a brief pause between songs and Willow looked up to find Molly standing in the window staring at the tree. What in the world was getting into her lately? First that weird dream she'd had and now she was scowling at harmless birds? Maybe they hadn't quite gotten enough pampering in to relax after all. The crow cawwed and she was soon distracted by the radio again, this time a faster paced new hit, Feel it Still. The song had raged in Europe before finally make it to the states and she found it to be fun tune to dance around to, primarily in the kitchen without witnesses, of course.

"It'll work just fine," she agreed, layering the cups with a piece of the cardboard lid and setting it on the floorboards in the back. Her head was bopping side to side to the music when a flutter of dark wings out the corner of her vision caught her eye, deciding she'd bring it up. "I see you've got even more pests at your place than normal. Are people not throwing their garbage away so you've got to deal with birds now too?"

At the mention of crows, Molly did lose a little more color, but she gathered control over her senses. “I don’t know, that’s a good question.” Molly hadn’t thought of that, but now it seemed a legitimate point to investigate. “I think I will take a peek at the garbage can. Maybe someone is tossing open food or something.” The idea seemed to bring out the more cheerful side of Molly. It still didn’t explain all the dread that came with the crows, but if it was that simple, she’d take it!

The song got Molly grooving in her seat. “Ooo, I like this one.” She got the name from Willow and had it typed into her phone notes to remind her to add it to her list.

They jammed along to a few songs as they drove. They dropped by a gas station for the juice before they arrived at the designated spot in Pine Park. Before they even got out of the car Bear came running on over to Molly’s side. The Southern Belle hopped out and happily greeted him. Her hands went to fluff up his ears. “Oh Bear, you old rascal, how you doin’, you good boy! You good old doggo!” She liked the new slang for Man’s Best Friend.

Then Molly turned her attention to helping Willow bring over their stuff. They had the cooler, a sheet, a cushion, and the bag with the drinks. “C’mon li’l monster, let’s go.” Molly cooed at Bear who dutifully trailed between the girls. Since Bear knew where they were headed she and Willow followed him to the family.

By the shoreline the Russian family sat on two mismatched sheets next to one another on the grass. Each corner was weighed down by shoes. In the center were two large wicker baskets draped over with another sheet. Upon that sat food and utensils, as well as plates and napkins. The smell of familiar Russian cuisine hit the nostrils and watered the mouth.

Grandpa Lyov sat on a chair in the water. His feet swishing around in the cold sea. He waved from where he sat. The old man’s shoulders were kept cozy with a knit shawl. A grey ushanka fit snug on his aged head. Granya saw his motion and tracked her viridian eyes to see the women coming over. Her honey brown hair, loose and wild, had to be pushed back to see better. With their approach to the picnic area, Granya absentmindedly scooted behind Grandpa Lyov, blocking her form. Bewilderment flitted over her young face when, just then, Lyov struggled to his feet. Compelled by love to care for her grandpa, Granya helped him begin his journey to where everyone sat.

Jovan had just poured a few glasses of kvas when the two came over to them. The old Bartender poured a couple of glasses of kvas. And of course, seeing Molly, he gave hers a shot of colorless liquor, like his own. Natalia had seen him do it and chuckled. Whether Jovan knew she’d want it for any observation he made at the Pub or knew she’d need it for Micha, Natalia didn’t know. But it was amusing all the same. They joined in waving hello with the others.

Amalia greeted them where she sat, legs outstretched and back propped up by her hands. Avril looped around the woman, slowly sliding from time to time, but always her attention appeared to occasionally vacillate between the sea and the street. The boa paid the newcomers a short mind before resuming.

Micha, like Theo, got up once the women were in sight. The two men made their appreciation for the choice of primping clear in their expressions. Molly smirked, seeing Micha's silent whistle upon his closing the distance between them.

"Molly, Molly, your hair. So pretty." Micha grinned, though his eyes were distracted by her outfit. For work, Molly wore plain, bland clothes she didn't care got dirty. This time her casual attire reflected the kind of outdoorsy, yet comfortable and flirty, fashion she enjoyed.

"Better be, I sat through an ordeal to get it this cute." She chuckled.

Micha offered to carry the bulky sheet and cushion for Molly. When Molly didn’t argue or snap back a smart-ass response, Bear did a funny dance, where his front feet hopped from one to the other, as if the dog embodied Micha’s inward excitement. Whether this was Molly being nice for now since she was going to play that unibrow test on him, no one knew.

Theo, grinning like an old love-struck fool, greeted Willow, "Ah, you are too beautiful Willow, my heart can take so much." He pat his chest. "I am thankful it is this day though. I would get no work done and Jovan may be trouble." Theo chuckled. Then he jokingly asked, “Wanting help with cooler?”

The container was small enough to hold with a single hand, but Theo couldn't be shone up by Micha. Clearly the blankets and cushion were light, but Micha would make any excuse to talk to Molly. Thankfully Theo didn't need an excuse. He felt a connection with Willow that needed no pretense. And he had no doubt Willow was strong enough to lug the cooler. But what he couldn't abide was the idea he didn't care to offer such an affection to the woman he was sweet on.

Last edited:
Both hands were holding the cooler as flat as possible, not wanting any of the cups to tumble or spill inside. The sight of Bear was confirmation they'd found the right place, walking beside Molly as they found the family settled along the beach. They were a beautiful, familiar assortment that she headed toward, an extra pep in her step when Theo stood up and headed toward her. She melted at his words, although maybe it didn't even matter what he said. Just being in his presence seemed to send electricity through her veins.

"Well, let's hope your heart can learn to handle if we're going to be around each other more, otherwise I'll have to find a way to make myself hideous so there's no risk of it going out on us," she answered despite her cheerfully flushed cheeks. His offer was accepted, carefully passing the cooler so he could be the one to take it down to the beach. Granted, that might have just been an excuse to brush against his hand during the passoff, but what Jovan didn't know couldn't hurt him.

They followed after Micha and Molly, a third square now set up near theirs and pleasantries exchanged with Amalia, Natalia, Jovan, Granya and of course Grandpa Lyov. Spotting the youngest member of the ensemble reminded Willow of the silver box that had been sitting on a shelf near the door of her apartment; one she had completely forgotten to grab on her way out. Well crap, now she'd either have to ask Theo to deliver it for her, or wait until Friday. The recollection had her momentarily frowning, disappointed in her own memory, but she didn't let it linger long.

The crisp salty air was like an old friend paying a visit after a long time apart. She inhaled deeply as she settled down to the now flattened blanket. "It's a beautiful day. I'm so glad we didn't have to deal with rain or something nasty like that. Luck is on our side!"

While all of the Russian family were happy to receive the women, Granya’s greeting had to be prompted by her grandpa to exceed a single nod. Leaning to see them better, the young niece said, “Welcome.” As much as she had liked to say it in Russian, she had to abide by the rules.

Theo sat between Willow and both Grandpa Lyov and Granya who dropped out of view for sitting closest to the sea. Following counterclockwise sat uncle Jovan. Then next to him Natalia sat on her knees, with Pipin on her shoulder. Both were handing out plates of food to the others. Then it was Amalia, now cross-legged so she could eat properly. Avril slithered off of her shoulders to not be in the way. The boa settled for curling around the torso. After her sat Micha who had insisted Molly rest by him and Bear. Then of course, Willow, who had a view of all of them, save for Granya, who seemed to always find someone to hide behind.

At Willows' comment the group voiced general agreement in favor of the weather. Willow heard an impertinent snort too, but she could not tell who did it, or if it had been her imagination. But perhaps not. Molly momentarily looked around. Seeing nothing to indicate the source, she shrugged and went to eat her food while her admirer prodded her for information about her day and what they did on Sunday. Molly obliged, somewhat reluctantly, only to mess with him. But she eventually did tell him she had gone to the mall with Willow. That they shopped and even visited a salon. Willow would notice Molly skipped telling them about the bug incident.

Natalia said, “Maybe I will do that too sometime. I’ve always been interested in it.”

Molly smiled, “Oh honey, maybe all us girls can. Willow and I do a mud-mask movie night occasionally.”

Amalia studied Willow’s face, “Your bangs do good. I like it.” She said it with finality. The kind of edge that dared someone to argue.

Lyov only nodded to their talk, but mostly he was being helped to eat by the phantom niece who silently aided him.

Theo took a sweeping look over Willow, perhaps more so to enjoy the overall view than the subject of her hair, but he did say, “A different beauty angle.” As if to say, the same gorgeous woman, just a different style.

Everyone found their place situated for the picnic, Willow mindful to be close to Theo as they settled down. She accepted the plate as it was passed around to her, settling with her knees together and legs to the side since cross-legged wasn't exactly an option.

"All of us should go out together next time," she agreed to the idea of a girls day. "Amalia could come with. Granya too, if she wants to unlatch from Lyov an join us for a mall trip." It didn't seem overly likely that the shy girl would wander from the those she was closest to, but it only felt fair for Willow to at least hand out the invitation. She knew that Granya was a big part of Theo's life, and it only felt appropriate that she tried to do the same herself, even if she was the newest element in the picture.

The compliments from Theo had her glowing with delight, finding it difficult to take her eyes off him as well. He was quite the sight for sour eyes, especially when he wasn't under the fluorescent lights of the pub, but instead the beautiful sunlight that fell on him in graceful layers. Beneath that rugged facial hair was a chiseled jaw she longed to run a finger along. Alas, she now would settle for a G-rated family trip to the beach for now. "After this, we brought dessert. Strawberry shortcakes complete with Molly-approved custard," she nodded toward their cooler at the side of the blanket.

Theo imagined all the comfy ways he could have cuddled with Willow on park day while he ate his pirozhki. He also thought of the ways he could toss her into the waves for laughs. The second would have to be a test of relationship-structural-integrity in the future. Aw, how Willow sat, blushed cheeks, without knowing his diabolical plan of summer fun.

Or, was Willow the kind of person who would suspect him of it? Theo would need to play that game carefully. While he sipped his drink in thought with his right hand, he rested his weight on his left, and oh, did he bump her fingers? Theo gave no apology and the only indication of his inward thoughts was a knowing smirk when he set his cup down.

“Yes, at Pub. We get projector. Lay out sleeping bags.” Amalia said between bites.

“Oh that sounds fun!” Molly straightened. “And we can watch The Lion King!”

“I want to do.” Micha said. A chance to sleep in the same room with Molly? Hell yeah!

Molly laughed, “You?” She was bout to deny him, but she grinned impishly instead. “Okay, honey, how about this. If you do all the things we do-- bow in your hair, pink on your nails, mud mask--then I agree. Stars, it would be funny!”

“Done!” Micha accepted the challenge, though there was the slightest waver in his voice.

Theo laughed, “Ah, send pictures!”

“No.” Natalia said, taking a sip of her kvas. “You come too. If you want pictures, you must take them yourself. But you will also have to participate.”

“Eeehhh.” Theo eased off, nervously scratching his chin.

“It will encourage Granya to come too.” Natalia pointed out.

“Hm, I will think about it.” Theo hummed, glancing at Granya. It would help her become familiar with Willow.

Talk, talk, talk! Granya had no use for all this boring talk. Her fingers fiddled with the tousled edge of the blanket to keep her thoughts from dwelling on the enthusiasm for the mud-mask movie night. A fate, she could tell, would befall her. Her aunts and uncles sounded too keen on the idea to believe they would allow her to exclude herself. She only spared another look past her great grandpa when dessert was mentioned. Granya contemplated having some as she dropped another meaty chunk of shashlik in her mouth. Her favorite meal, apparently.

The others were definitely interested, and Amalia asked for the recipe. Molly found it strange they hadn’t heard of shortcake before. Just how closed off was that tiny village in Okunevo in Russia? Well, isolated enough that Theo hadn’t seen or heard of The Lion King.

Grandpa Lyov enjoyed seeing the peace his family achieved. Sure, it wasn’t perfect. But aside from the occasional worry over a Hunter he couldn’t imagine going back. It had been a hard choice. Not everyone agreed. Even Lyov had his doubts. But here, in the sun, by the sea where the only monsters that lived in it answered to them, he had nothing but a grateful heart. And he smiled as they talked amongst themselves.

People were skeptical of integrating with society. Someone had to reach out to this new world. Lyov chuckled to himself, not surprised that it was Theo who took up the torch. He was so like his mother. They shared the same kind of smile, the same flirty nature. Almost all of Viorica’s children did. The thought of his youngest brought a tear to Lyov’s eye. He gently wiped it away to finish off his shortcake.

Lyov yawned, feeling the carbs of his meal working on his body. The warmth of the sun made it all the more difficult to keep awake. The older man murmured in Russian to his great grand-daughter.

Called to action, Granya cleaned off her hands after finishing her lunch and pulled a pillow over. She held his arm to ease him down. Great Grandpa Lyov laid down into a comfortable position. He crossed his ankles, rested his left hand over his chest, and the other draped across his eyes. Lyov soon fell asleep for a midday nap.

In full view now, Granya shifted uncomfortably. Who knows how long Lyov would be asleep. She crisscrossed her legs and hunched. Granya took a shortcake cup and picked at it a bit. She ate a quarter of it before Natalia warned her about her tummy. So, she grumpily gave the rest to Amalia.

As if sensing Granya's displeasure Bear came loping over to initiate an impromptu romp and cuddle. The Russian bear-dog, nearly the size of her, tumbled with her onto the grass. Granya fell into giggling and wrestling. Molly glanced over and found it hilarious watching the two. She was a little surprised to see Granya actually grab on Bear’s ear with her mouth though. Perhaps he was just really clean?

After a few minutes Bear perked, stilled, and then raced off down the shoreline. None of the family bothered to care. They had a lot of trust in their dog. Molly held a twinge of anxiety though. It was no business of hers to decide how trained Bear was, and he very well could be the goodest doggo of all, but Molly did worry if someone might not agree and give them trouble. There was no telling how often this happened in this park in specific. Perhaps it simply was a part of the tradition.

Whatever the case, Granya sprawled flat against the grass, left behind. After a long moment, the girl sat up. She peered over at the others. Jovan and Natalia were in a deep conversation with Amalia. Probably over the Pub. Great grandpa Lyov snoozed soundly next to them. Micha bantered with Molly like a game of ping-pong. And little red hearts practically floated out of uncle Theo’s mouth as he spoke with Willow.

The woman had been a curiosity for Granya. Really, the very topic of someone her Uncle held such high respect and affection for had got her attention. While it followed that Granya’s faith in her uncle meant she generally trusted him, the experience with Karen and Olivia gave her pause. Would Willow reject them, like Karen? Would she become consumed like Olivia? Would Willow prove an entirely new disappointment? Or, would this woman overcome all odds and be the first of the new beginnings they desired?

Granya scooted out of the line of sight and periphery of Willow. Then she silently crawled in an arch, approaching Willow from behind. The girl got close. About a foot away. She sat back, pressed the pads of her feet together, and held her ankles. Quietly, she leaned forward, her head gently swaying. Perhaps in an attempt to look over Willow's shoulder. Whatever the reason, she caught the look of interest from Molly across the way. Granya straightened, a little surprised herself. She kept eye contact until she rolled onto her side, stiff as a doll, out of Molly’s view behind Theo. Granya made one rotation, shuffled on her belly up to her uncle's side, tucked her arms beneath her outstretched body, and dropped her chin on his leg. Granya’s pouty mouth squished awkwardly, like an adorable version of the blobfish, and her green eyes watched his face imploringly.

Theo’s hand plopped onto her head in a plume of honey brown curls without even looking. He mussed her hair, though she didn’t seem to mind. At least nothing to suggest so at first. After a moment Granya hummed a whine of disapproval for his lack of attention. Finally, Theo looked down and Granya’s green eyes brightened.

“What is it, Shchenok?” Theo chuckled. “Not exciting?”

“No.” Granya huffed. “I want to go home.”

“Why don’t run with Bear?”

“He went off to find that dumb shollie.” She muttered. Granya added glumly, “I am missing a raid, Дядя.”

“You can raid later.” Theo chuckled.

“Raid?” Molly asked.

“Yes, she love gaming. Has friends with funny names.” Theo wiggled her head. “RedBlade42, HunterX, someone called ranymany--”

“It’s randomando.” Granya corrected, pushing off the offending hand that jostled her vision. She sat up and leaned on Theo’s right side, tapping her finger on his watch to busy herself.

“Oh you mean usernames.” Molly thought back to when she tried it out. “I used to play a lot of Call of Duty.”

“I play that one with RawR.” Granya said, eyes still downcast. “He doesn’t trust YAASBIRCH ever since he left his post to watch the rear and got shot by some other player.”

“Oh yeah?” Molly looked to Willow. Maybe they found a way into conversation with the shy one. “You like that game?”

“Not really.” Granya’s voice grew a little quieter. “I like WoW and ES5 better.” She said this while giving Theo a nudge with her elbow. Whatever she meant it to mean, he only laughed.

Last edited:
The prospect of a girls night was enticing, even if it meant they might have to put up with a couple of the guys. It was odd to think they'd do so in the pub, but that seemed to the center of their family structure and maybe getting Granya to a real mall wouldn't be plausible. Either way, it was something; interaction with the group outside of just working. There was an almost homey feel around them, warm and comforting, a foreign feeling for many years to her.

Unaccustomed to Granya's antics and not seeing the goofy crawl behind her, the sudden head plopping down of the younger girl was unexpected, dark eyes momentarily widening before it was clear that this was just how they were. Chuckling as niece and uncle bantered back and forth, Willow shifted her own weight, switching the direction of her legs try try and encourage blood flow despite how sedentary they were being. Soon she'd need a stroll down the beach, but she wouldn't dare interrupt this bonding time.

The gamer talk wasn't all jargon to her, surprisingly enough. During her first year at Baylor she had been a bit too eager for human contact, agreeing to date the first person who so much as asked her. That person happened to be Billy Hurt who, unlike his father, had little aspirations in the world of acting and was quite focused instead on computer graphics and any other degree that was an excuse to be behind a keyboard or controller. Willow had learned quickly that the best way to have his attention was to be at either of those, meaning she spent a good half of her first semester gaming over studying; quite visible in her grades if one were to look.

That all translated to Willow knowing a fair amount about a variety of games. She wasn't the best, but she could pull her own weight to keep Billy Junior proud and earn that attention she was so adamant to chase after. It seemed like that period of slightly desperate behavior was going to pay off with the chatter around her. Her gaze fell on the teenager who seemed to be much more talkative in her element. "What do you like to play? In WoW?" she asked with visible interest, head tilted to the side. "I'm going to guess....a night elf rogue? Tell me if I'm way off."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back