• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Spectres of Olcaria IC

threetoads

Blunder
The Story:

Creatures of all kinds have made their way to planet Olcaria for the 66th Future Congress. Representatives of countless species, professions and ideologies arrive to share knowledge, host diplomatic talks and even conduct business. In just a few short hours following the start of this year's festivities, Olcaria would be no more.

Our story will follow a small group of survivors of The Fall of Olcaria, some of the very few lucky ones to survive what would become the first spark of a second Galactic War. While slowly escalating conflict will be the backdrop of the story and our titular Spectres may end up getting caught up in some of it, this isn't an RP about war. I'm more interested in exploring some intrigue, espionage, maybe some survivor's guilt and just about anything in-between with some side adventures mixed in.

The plan is to begin just before the attack but have our characters meet not long after to escape together.

The World:

The overall ‘world’ (Galaxy? Universe?) follows several ‘galactic standards’, those being the Galactic Common Language and Galactic Standard Time (a shared language and earth-like timekeeping).

While the galaxy at large has been at peace for some time, smaller scale wars between certain species have been waged. The inciting incident of Spectres is the first spark for a new, full on galactic conflict.

The galactic economy revolves around Amber Dust, a substance with a wide array of uses ranging from interstellar drive fuel to laser focusing optics to farming. Amber Dust is widespread across the galaxy but in varying purities, the planets on which the purest Amber Dust can be found are generally well off economically and species in control of such planets tend to be more influential. The currency tied to Amber Dust is called Specks and can be traded physically with Chits or via the Galactic Information Nexus. Smaller, local economies also exist, those usually being limited internally to one species or one region of the galaxy.

As far as technology goes, interstellar drives are commonplace and just about every spaceship is outfitted with one (Travel is much faster but not instant), Intergalactic drives are considered to be as-yet-unattainable technology. Ballistic weaponry is rarely used and rarely effective, having been mostly replaced by laser weaponry. Cybernetic modifications are possible but considered taboo in certain places and pose significant health risks depending on species and how many are used (Mainly used for some enhancements, limb replacement, no near-magic nanotech). Terraforming is possible. Artificial gravity exists.

Ultimately this isn't just 'my' world and the whole point of RPing with others is for it to grow with everyone's ideas and influence, while there may be certain leaps in the capabilities of certain technology or things of that nature that would need to be discussed before being introduced, I'm not keeping things locked down.

The Rules:

• I'm aiming for a minimum for 2-3 paragraphs per post but this is a soft rule, not every situation will warrant that amount of writing and the last thing I want is for someone to feel like the RP is turning into a chore for them.
  • Also aiming for 1 post per player per week but this is also generally a soft rule.
  • Be mature. Humor is welcome but this isn't supposed to be a world of Marvel quips and darker topics may show up here and there (though nothing explicit).
  • Use your best judgment for the usual rules like godmodding, it's obviously not allowed.
  • Be communicative! If you don't think you'll be able to post within a week then just let us know and we can either hold off a bit or just skip a turn to keep things going. This also applies to any questions you might have or if something doesn't make sense, just ask. I'm always happy to answer questions and discuss things.
The Side Notes:

• I'm looking for about 3-5 people to join in total. This is the first RP that I'll be GMing and I'd rather get it right for a smaller group than mess it up for a bigger one.
  • Following on from that note, I'm possibly-maybe-likely looking for a co-GM if anyone is interested. It all really depends on whether anyone is interested in this to begin with and whether we have the same ideas for how to proceed.
  • Things like the CS will likely be posted once/if there's some traction here, plus it gives me some time just to finalise what I want on there.
  • I'm probably forgetting something obvious despite re-reading this post multiple times before I post it, that just brings us right back to asking questions. Ask away and I will happily answer and/or clarify!

Thank you for reading!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back