• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

LittleMiss

Calling all character development fanatics! In this superhero-esque roleplay, you take your budding little wad of unique personality and zany abilities from age five to fifteen and (if we so wish) beyond.

naruto shippuden GIF

Your story begins when you step into the classroom for your first day of kindergarten. Here you get to know the class pet, start to learn your alphabet–and discover that you are a covert experiment of the government.

You and a handful of other classmates are excused from learning the Itsy-Bitsy Spider in order to follow a strict looking adult called the “special ed teacher” down the hall to a new classroom full of soundproofed walls and assorted toys and equipment.

Here, for an hour and a half every school day, you are taught that you are not like other kids. You are taught that something happened at the hospital where you and the other kids were born and it made you different. You begin to learn how to access a something deep within you. Something that answers a few questions you've had about yourself, but draws out a million more in their place.

You realize, for the first time, that you have superpowers. And that you are most definitely not allowed to bring them anywhere near show-and-tell.
OjrA.gif
Worse, you and the crew soon learn that Special Ed isn't just a fun excuse to get out of class. It's preparation for becoming the nation's most powerful weapons--whether you want to or not. The contract has already been signed by your own parent/guardian.

Parameters

So the idea here is to age up characters to the next grade every three months or so or whenever the storyline calls for it. More on that later.

The style for this roleplay will be a bit like a playground; there is just enough structure to make it fun to explore and play. So as long as your character does not ditch the monkey bars and run off into the proverbial street, I think it should flow pretty well.

It takes place in a fictional coastal city called Newport Heights. The mystery behind their powers is established and will be revealed in time. Meanwhile, the direction of their future and career will depend greatly on their choices.

What you’ll need:
  • Character Name
  • Cool Pic (if you want)
  • Appearance
  • Personality
  • Special Ability
  • Ability Kickback (negative side effect on your character for using their powers. Can be physical, mental, emotional, etc. These can fade as they improve their skills. Or also become more complex as they take their skills to new lengths)
  • Family Situation/Background (anything you want us to know upfront)
  • And of course anything other info you want to add.

For anyone who wants to use the blank character sheet I'm prepping, there will be tabs for each grade as an option for if you want to update your picture and other info as your character ages.

Superpowers
This isn’t really the roleplay for getting technical on stats (as I really suck at stats). Rather, special abilities are more of an expression of the character so there is a lot of artistic wiggle room.

sailor moon 90s GIF

That said, no overpowered abilities, please. Especially since the characters will develop their powers in stages. There will be plenty of villains and epic fights in which to show off. And some characters may learn faster or slower than others. But this roleplay will be more focused on the characters’ interactions and development than on owning entire evil corporations wholesale.

Characters Age Up
As mentioned, characters will move to the next school grade every three months or so. Before it happens, we’ll make sure we end the previous year on a satisfactory note. I realize everyone’s writing schedule is different and I’ll do my best not to move on until everyone feels ready, so long as they don’t halt the story entirely.

Stages of Super Ability Development
Development Stages (for you to have fun and be creative with! How would your character reach each one? Or would they reach it at all?)

Universal
Applies to everyone and starts in kindergarten.
  • Activation (learning how to access abilities. They’re currently dormant.)
  • Basic Control (learning how to not blow things up, essentially. Because once powers are activated, they are activated.)
  • Coping With Kickback (discovering the unexpected side effects of abilities and how to work around them)
  • Advanced Control (learning not only how to bridle powers, but how to utilize them)

Custom
More unique to the character and starts in first grade.
  • Increasing one’s knowledge about their unique ability
  • Discovering new routes and applications
  • Strengthening their control
  • Discovering new, possibly more lasting side effects
  • Maybe developing needed gear to improve performance
I will publish more stages once the pacing of the story is more established. For example, at one point, they’ll probably get personal instructors. In any case, the real baddies start to show up in second grade, so make sure you’re prepared!

NPCs
As long as the main characters remain the main characters, I’m flexible with how you use NPCs. I’m setting up the first teacher and a few classmates which anyone is welcome to use. And if you have some future teachers/bullies/crushes/siblings that you would like to throw into the mix to help your character’s arc, go for it. We can have another category for NPCs that belong to you as a writer vs. ones that are always up for grabs.

General Pointers
Since all the kids are highly documented and surveyed by the government as part of the same experiment, their lives are tied together (whether they like it or not, which should be half the fun). So try not to separate yourself too much from the crew as it kinda defeats the point of adventuring as a group.

spoilers hug GIF

Also super power training is only an hour and a half of their school day (albeit a very intense one worthy of all sorts of exposition). So feel free to start other shenanigans on the bus, in the classroom, in the cafeteria, after school, at each others’ houses, on field trips, at the movies etc. Have fun exploring your character and how they interact with others and their environment, especially with their newfound secret abilities.

I'm new here and I'm now realizing this is probably a bit much for an interest check. But all who want to give it a go, say aye!

My gosh this sounds amaaaaazing!!

Not gunna join but will defo lurk cuz my inner Powerpuff Girl needs to see how this goes lol. Good luck with RP and welcome to RPN!!

Awesome! I should be able to get the thread up later today for you to start posting your characters for approval. I'm going to see if I can get at least one or two more before starting.

okay, I don't think this question is answered anywhere-- is the art style for the characters (if we do choose to use a picture) supposed to anime-style or more realistic?

okay, I don't think this question is answered anywhere-- is the art style for the characters (if we do choose to use a picture) supposed to anime-style or more realistic?
Great question! I hadn't thought of that. I've been using realistic for the NPCs so far, but I'm not picky. Whatever you think matches your character best.

First starting blurb is up! And my own character will be soon to follow.

I've also updated the NPCs. I found some anime art that I liked a lot better than the stock photos that were there before. Looking forward to writing with you all!

Special Ed - Main

Hi! Just wondering, in the discord server I only see the verified-channel even if I'm verified, is that normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back