Spark of a New Era ~IC~

She nods politely to the captain as the two women put everything back into its proper place the room seeming to glisten. "Yes I was very pleased that all of the necessary tools were present however the cleanliness of the place was not up to par. Thankfully it was an easy fix." Avyana stands and straightens out her clothing as well as placing her own medical bag onto the counter. "is there anything else you need captain, you're not feeling ill are you?"

FabulousTrash FabulousTrash StarryKnights StarryKnights

Ariska paused as Avyana spoke. She never would've guessed that there would be other...newbies on this mission. It was kind of comforting to know, and brought a smile to her face.
Avyana had a lot more experience than Ariska, to think she'd been a fully fledged surgeon in a hospital once. She wondered what made her decide to leave and join the Mechanists.
That was an awfully personal thing to ask a near stranger, so she decided to keep her curiosity to herself.

"I can understand why you're nervous but everything that goes on on this ship is out of our control, all we can do is keep everyone alive, that is where all of your attention should be".

These words made Ariska stop and take a deep breath. "Your right..." she offered a smile to the older woman. "...It's just..I'm...excited...and nervous...". she chuckled.
This was her first mission and she wanted to do everything in her power to ensure all went well. This was the beginning of what she hoped would be a career, and Ariska didn't want to mess it up.
These thoughts were vanquished as the captain walked in, hastily the girl gave a shallow bow.

"Everything is...perfect captain". she spoke as she went back to work cleaning the cabinets. "Or at least it will be after we're all done". she glanced to Captain Mintz. She was so young...she didn't look much older than her.
She marveled at how someone like that could be a captain of their own ship.

FictionallyPerfect FictionallyPerfect FabulousTrash FabulousTrash

Calista smiled, shaking her head lightly at Avyana's inquiry.

I"m feeling fine Avyana, but thank you. When you guys are done, feel free to explore or just relax. We have a little ways away before we cross into our first obstacle.

With that, Claista stood up straight, giving the two medics a soft wave goodbye before she went out to go find her engineers. She was more interested to meet the female. If Calista remembered correctly from the info sheet, her name was Mariko. Calista walked down to the rear of the ship where most of the moving parts were located. Poking around for a while, it took Calista a few minutes to locate where Mariko and Douglas were. Calista smiled as she approached Mariko, a hand held out

Sorry I missed you at Commander Wallas's office. I had to leave early to make sure final repairs were all done before left.

SakuraBlossom28 SakuraBlossom28 Elekta Kount Elekta Kount

Last edited:
She packs up the rest of the cleaning supplies "Ariska we are done her, I'm going to go through the files now so feel free to explore the ship, I need a little time to myself to work out my own anxieties and nervous ticks, I don't want you to feel like im turning you away. Please have fun." she sets up at one of the desks and starts writing a detailed report of all the people on the ship her penmanship small and slightly swirly. The room is silent except for the sounds of the ship.

StarryKnights StarryKnights

Mariko rolled her eyes at the nickname again, but stilled nodded. "Yes, sir," She hurried back to her bunk and pulled out her box of tools, walking down the hallway she thought the engine was at and crouched down, doing basic maintenance on it. She became engrossed in her work, finding the engine to be in proper working order when the captain's voice broke her concentration. "Oh! It's alright. I was awfully late, anyway. But it's good to finally meet you now, Miss!" She shook her hand, glad to be wearing a glove for once. "I was just checking one of the engines in here, and everything is working great!"

Elekta Kount Elekta Kount FabulousTrash FabulousTrash

Calista smiled, releasing Mariko's hand after a few moments, smiling

Glad to hear nothing is broken yet, haha. Right now we're headed towards the first mountain range of Dead Man's Alley. When you're done here, feel free to explore the ship or relax for a bit.

She leaned in close to Mariko's ear, speaking quietly

Dont let Douglas get to you easily. He's just looking out for everyone. At least, thats what I like to think

As Calista moved away from Mariko, she couldnt help but laugh a little to herself about the comment she made. Giving the engineers a wave goodbye, she headed off to find their gunner. If her records showed, he was the only one assigned to her for this flight, which was a slight problem. Though she did have an idea as to how to make up for the lack of gunners.

She walked around the side of the ship, stopping by all the guns until she found where Otwin was. She smiled as she approached the man.

Hey Otwin, do you have a minute?

Elekta Kount Elekta Kount

Ariska finished up what she was doing and turned to Avyana as she spoke. The girl's face fell a bit as she was dismissed, but she didn't want to crowd the older woman. After all, this was new to both of them, there was no sense of clinging to the other newbie and trying to coast by. She put away her cleaning supplies before heading toward the door.
"I'll come by later to check in". she smiled at the woman, but the only reply was the scribbling of her pen on the paper and the hum of the ship.
Ariska sighed and ventured out into the Gear Grinder.
She supposed she could take this time to get to know her other crew members, though she wasn't sure where most of them were at the moment.
Honestly she was hoping to run into the other young woman before the grumpy engineer from before. She wandered around the many corridors until she heard the familiar voice to the captain. Turning, she made her way down the hall, and watched as the captain exited a room and exited the opposite direction.
Curious, Ariska popped her head into the room and found it to be where the engines housed. The machines were dreadfully loud, Ariska couldn't imagine having to work so close to them.
She spotted the other girl, and smiled.

"Hello...I hope I'm not interrupting you...". She offered the girl a short bow before continuing. "...My name's Ariska...I'm one of the two medics assigned to the crew. I just...wanted to introduce myself...and let you know if your hurt in any way to come and see me". she smiled at the woman.
"Though I certainly hope you won't be needing my services too much".

SakuraBlossom28 SakuraBlossom28

The young man had been checking the barrels of the flamethrower when he heard the captain speak. Turning his head, he looked over to the captain, before moving towards the captain. Standing upon the platform, he gave a causal salute.
"Kapitän, what do you require of this Kanonier?"
The man accented man said, as he lowered his salute and placed the other hand on the flamerthrower.

"Very good indeed," She agreed with a nod, hiding her gloved hand behind her back once she was finished with the handshake. "Oh, don't worry about me. I'm a lot tougher than I look. I know he doesn't really mean it," She then waved to the captain and started to leave to go back to her bunk, only to be approached by another woman who looked around her age, and very nervous. She wondered if it was her first time flying too and smiled warmly at her. "Oh don't worry, I just finished up my work here, so you're not interrupting anything at all!" She curtsied in return at Ariska. "I'm Mariko, one of the engineers, obviously. Nice to meet you! I hope I don't need your services either, but we shouldn't be strangers to each other, alright?"

FabulousTrash FabulousTrash StarryKnights StarryKnights

Calista smiled as she replied to Otwin

You dont have do anything just yet, but I wanted to make aware the fact that you're our only gunner. I think when we stop by at Fallkirk, you could take the two medics and give them the run down of the basics on how to shoot a gun. Think thats something that can be done?

Calista knew that engineers were, hopefully, already trained in the basics. It was the medics that were her concern, mainly because they werent always busy, and an engineer's priority was always present, the mechanics of the ship.

They can learn the more advanced weapons when we get back home.

Elekta Kount Elekta Kount

Thankful for starting with such a small crew, she makes a general procedure for when someone comes into the med bay and creates a guide on how to document each entry, she then makes a few detailed notes based upon each persons needs. She places the information in a folder on the wall labeling it PROCEDURES. She then makes the beds and goes to the bunk room changing from her nicer clothes into a more worn white tank top and a tan pair of loose pants. She then sits on the floor by her bed and starts working our sticking with mostly crunches, push ups, and squats as she gets used to the movement of the ship.

Ariska smiled and made a mental note of the girl's name. Mariko, she seemed nice and outgoing. Two things her fellow engineer certainly didn't appear to be. Ariska chuckled at the other woman's words. "Yes...we shouldn't be strangers...I'd like at least to learn my fellow crew mates names and the like...". she peeked into the engine room again, and found it empty.
"I see your grumpy...coworker isn't here". the girl looked back to Mariko. it was certainly an odd bunch of people they'd put together for this mission, Ariska couldn't help but wonder what the higher ups were thinking, sending two greenhorns on such a dangerous mission.
"So Mariko...is this your first time flying? It's mine...". Ariska shifted slightly to keep her balence. "Still getting used to the sensation of flying".

"Same with me," She smiled some more, wanting Ariska to become more open and relax. "Huh, he's not? I didn't notice. I suppose he went upstairs to go check on the balloons....even though he said I was to do that," She eventually decided it didn't matter and that if he needed her for something, he could call for her. At the woman's next question, she nodded. "Yes, actually, at least at the height we're going. I've been on two rides, but we were barely off the ground, so I didn't feel anything. But as high as we are now...it's a totally different sensation for me, and despite feeling shaky, I can't say I hate it,"

Ariska chuckled. "Yes...it is rather...invigorating". the young woman sighed, relieved to find another friendly face on the ship. "It's crazy to think my first mission...and trip on an airship is taking us to such...dangerous territory". The medic wondered how close they were to the dreaded mountain range.
"I have faith that the captain is capable...else wise they wouldn't have approved the flight path...". the blinked as she realized she was babbling.
She smiled, looking back to Mariko. "I assume it's your first mission too then Mariko?"

"Jawohl, Kapitän, I shall see what would be the simplest for them to operate und will have them combat bereit once they have the time. Would you happen to know where I can find our mediziner?"
The gunner asked, giving his full attention to the captain.
FabulousTrash FabulousTrash

One of them is still in the medical bay and the other is wandering about. Shouldnt be too hard to find

Calista smiled. She then glanced over to the side. The mountain range was getting incredibly close. Looking back to Otwin, she began to make her way back to the helm, waving back to the gunner

Let me know when you're going to teach them how to shoot!

Quickly walking back to the helm, she came up and stood in front of the console. Up ahead, the first mountain range was just a few minutes away from them. Calista released the steering wheel lock and followed the side of the mountain range until the opening was beside the airship. Turning into the opening, Calista dropped the speed of the Gear Grinder down for better maneuverability. At the same time, she reached over for the intercom mic, pressing and holding down the side button and spoke up

Heads up everyone. We're cutting through the first mountain range and entering Dead Man's Alley. I'll be raising the altitude of the ship soon, so dont be alarmed when you start to feel nauseous or lightheaded, but dont hesitate to see our doctors too!

Calista released the button, setting the mic down and focused on steering. When you're flying in Dead Man's Alley, you needed all your focus into making sure you didnt crash. When most of the ship was past the open gap, Calista reached over to a new lever, sliding it up. The engines began to work harder as the airship began to lift up into the air, rising in altitude. It rose up to the point where the hull was just in line with the high point of most of the mountains. The temperature dropped as it got slightly colder on board the ship.

Elekta Kount Elekta Kount FictionallyPerfect FictionallyPerfect Sakura Seoul Sakura Seoul StarryKnights StarryKnights

Mariko giggled at Ariska's way of speaking. The medic reminded her a lot of....well herself. Not to mention, talking to someone else polite and sociable was making her forget all about the potentiality dangerous flight zone and how high up in the air they were. She nodded at her question. "Yes, believe it or not. Especially this high up. I'm really nervous about it, but excited. After all, it's a new adventure!" She started to say something else, only to be interrupted by the captain's voice coming in over the intercom. When she finished, some color drained from her face. "Oh, it seems we're going up even higher now! I wonder what it'll feel like?" She asked breezily, leaning against the wall. She needed something, anything, to grab onto, lest she get nauseous. But she didn't want make it obvious she got dizzy easily.

StarryKnights StarryKnights FabulousTrash FabulousTrash

upon hearing the announcement she quickly cleans herself up and changes back into working clothes heading back to the med bay and pulls out one of the breathing masks setting it into a divit on the counter should someone need it. She then looks over her notes and nods to herself familiarizing herself with Marikos face so that she might be able to provide better care, having read in her file about how dizzy she gets sometimes.

Ariska smiled, it seemed the two of them had a lot in common. "A new adventure...that's the entire reason I enlisted in the first place". Ariska chuckled. "Well, that and to see the world...as well as help all kinds of people". She also did it as a way to be closer with her late father, but that was a rather personal subject. Ariska had few memories of the man, but she knew he worked on an airship...and she wanted to honor his memory.
The medic paled a little at the captain announcement, reaching out she steadied herself against the wall. She didn't feel nauseous thankfully, but the sensation of moving higher did set her nerves aflame again. She wondered how long until she was used to the feeling of rising and falling.
Ariska's own nerves were soon forgotten as Mariko leaned against the wall, the medic could tell there was something off with the woman.
"Here". She moved forward and offered Mariko her hand. "Hold my hand if you feel dizzy, it might help" she offered the girl a smile. 'It's a short trip to the med bay if you need to lay down".

When Ariska offered her hand, Mariko quickly took it without much of a thought, squeezing it a bit too tightly. "I get dizzy really easily....I'm not used to being so high up in the air at all!" She finally confessed, staring down at the floor. Was it always so far away? And spinning? Before she had fully realized what happened, she had fallen into the other woman, dangerously close to losing consciousness. "Lying down.....sounds like a good idea," She managed to laugh weakly.

Ariska didn't wince as her hand was squeezed, despite the fact it hurt somewhat. She smiled at Mariko.
"That's to be expected honestly, so don't worry Mariko". Slowly, she began to walk, supporting the other girl as needed. "Let's get you laid down then, after a little rest your dizziness should go away. And if not, I'm sure Ms. Avyana could find some medicine for you to take".
Thankfully it wasn't far back to the med bay, once the pair stood in the doorway Ariska called out. "Ms. Avyana! I have a patient".

SakuraBlossom28 SakuraBlossom28 FictionallyPerfect FictionallyPerfect

Avyana's head flies up at the sound of Ariska's voice "I assume you're brininging me miss Mariko, I have the nessasary things laid on the counter, have her take one of the pills then put on the breathing mask before she lays down ok?" She gets up and walks over to the pair, guiding Mariko to sit on one of the beds. "please tell me how you would rate your current reaction on a scale from 1-10, and please give me a detailed list of your symptoms." She pulls out a manilla folder with Marikos name on it as well as pulling out a blank spiral.

***HEY READ THIS THINGY BELOW ME***
Hey, so I realize this has kinda been running slow due to Elekta being off to college, which doesnt give me many opporturnities to post, and I'll admit I slipped as well a little. Until Elekta shows activity again, his characters will be replaced by two of my own. All you need to know is

Edward Osborne - Engineer
Jasper Dawkins - Gunner

Hopefully you guys still have interest this. Thanks!

Edward Osborne
As the Gear Grinder flew through the alley of mountains, Edward was inside the engineering room, watching the dials and meters carefully. He was especially focused on the balloon pressure meter, getting paranoid from seeing it move down just a little, then recovering. He thought it was abysmal that Calista was attempting such a flight, but he had to believe she was, because it was happening right now.

Looking out the window, he watched as the mountain tops passed by the ship. He couldnt tell exactly how close they were to some of the higher mountain tops, but hopefully none of them would scratch up the hull, or it might force the captain to land just to make repairs. He wasnt the pilot but even Edward knew landing in the middle of such a long flight would be costly.

He returned his attention to the dials and meters, leaning back in his chair. Mariko was probably around on the ship somewhere. He wasnt too worried about her.

Jasper Dawkins
Jasper nodded as the captain walked off, beginning to think about what gun he should use to teach the medics the basics. He could use the rocket launcher up near the front, or maybe a more non-lethal weapon like the harpoon cannon. The options were there. Though, in Jasper's own opinion, all the weapons were hard to operate. He eventually settled with the harpoon gun and headed to the medical bay to see if any of them were available.

He came up to the door of the medical area and noticed that Mariko was here as well, and being treated as well. From what Jasper could see, she looked sick. Probably wasnt used to the altitude. Jasper waited until the medics werent too distracted before speaking up

G'day ladies. Say, any of yous got time for a quick thing? The capt'n wanted me to show you two the ropes of shooting some of the weapons on this ship.

Calista Mintz
Calista yawned softly as she continued to guide the ship, adjusting the wheel here and there. She could see the second mountain range just up ahead, but it was still a ways away and she didnt want to go maximum speed either. She needed the maneuverability. With one hand holding onto the wheel, Calista reached into her pocket and took out her pocket watch. It was nearing 11 in the morning. They were making good progress. If everything went smoothly, they'd land at Fallkirk around mid-afternoon or later. They'd get the cargo loaded, get some shut eye, then do the same thing, only heading home.

There was one concern, however. The Northern District of the Wasteland. Calista had heard stories about the area. They were more hostile than the other districts. and the fleet leader was alot more ruthless. Hopefully they wouldnt bother them too much, better if not at all.

Calista took a breath, returning her pocket watch into her pocket and turned her attention back to what was ahead of her

SakuraBlossom28 SakuraBlossom28 StarryKnights StarryKnights FictionallyPerfect FictionallyPerfect

Users who are viewing this thread