Spark of a New Era ~IC~

Douglas scoffed again and shook his head
"So ya tellin' me that this is ya first time flyin' solo? Oh, boyo, just wot we needed flying through the canyons of death."
Douglas grunted as he started to take a look around the vessel itself, simply snorting afterwards. He turned to the girl again, and although he was frowning, at least he was not scoffing no longer.
"Listen to me doll, what we about to do is likely goin' to end us, so do wot I says an' maybe, just maybe we'll get through without being turned into a bloody pulp. An' if we do get smashed to bits, then we can blame the cap'n and not on us engineers. Got it?"
SakuraBlossom28 SakuraBlossom28

Calista heard the sound of voices behind her. Turning to look, she watched as her crew was coming up onto the landing platform and walking aboard the ship. There were two new people along with the original three she saw before. Hopefully one of them was her gunner.

As if some higher being heard her, the male with a black helmet and goggles came up to her, snapping into a salute and introduced himself. She smiled and nodded

No need for formal actions like that Otwin. Glad to have you on board.

Calista waited until the everyone was roughly gathered around her and quiet before addressing them all at the same time.

Cabin is in the middle of the ship, lower deck. Claim a bed then go ahead and get yourselves situated. The repair team from the Tower already took care of final inspection, but you're all free to make sure your areas are up to your personal standards.

Calista would watch as her crew dispersed, then made her way over to the helm, giving herself some time alone. She didnt admit it in front of her crew, but even Calista was slightly worried about the flight ahead of them. Though, this was the only choice, and Calista didnt get her fame from nothing. Then again, this wasnt about fame.

Looking around the tower, there were a few other ships docked along the sides. Most of them she didnt recognize, but then again, there were always ships coming and going. It was rare to see the same ship twice within a few days.

Calista took a breath, then exhaled slowly. She can do this. Her crew can do this. Turning, Calista walked off the helm to go and check to see what everyone was up to. They still had fifthteen minutes before departure, but as Calista knew well enough, time can fly fast when you're not paying attention.

She nods to the captain and turns to Ariska
"Come, were going to inspect the med bay and start taking inventory of all of our items and supplies. We must also look over everything about our fellow crew member and pack an emergency evac pack so we can treat the crew on the fly do you understand?"
She hefts her duffel onto her shoulder and quickly makes her way to the crew quarters claiming a corner bed and tucking her duffel under it. She then hurries to the med bay with her briefcase already examining the integrity of the room.

Mariko simply nodded and listened as Douglas talked, figuring he was the kind of person one didn't interrupt. She winced at his nickname for her, but before she could protest it, their captain arrived and said to pick their beds, and she was all too thankful for the distraction. She walked behind the two medics and claimed one of the top bunks, throwing her bag on top to claim it. She was glad she saw it first, as it was one of the only beds that had a small window next to it, and she figured it would be important in the future. She then tightened her ponytail and unbuttoned her cloak, throwing it on top of her bag. When she really looked at it, it did look too fancy for her station. But she still didn't think she was in the wrong. She climbed back down the ladder and noticed the two medics had left, and decided she took that as her cue and went to check on the engineer room to make sure everything was in working order.

FabulousTrash FabulousTrash Elekta Kount Elekta Kount

Douglas grunted at his new captain while Otwin just nodded. Douglas followed the rest to the sleeping quarters, there he dumped his dufflebag onto a random bunk, not really looking who was around him.
Otwin meanwhile did not follow the rest, instead he began inspecting the weaponary available and then begun making the necessary adjustments.
Douglas did more or less the same, placing the canister on the main deck as he went about the ship check g on the components.
First there was the heavy engines and its maneuvering rudders, adjusting some of the components of the engine to tune it up even more. He checked on the balloons themselves, first checking that each pressurization machine was in order, beforestrapping himself onto a piece of rope hanging from the top and scaling the iron beam up to the balloons to inspect for leaks. He did find a couple minor ones, easy enough to patch over with some tape. Lastly was the hull, as Douglas pushed himself off of one of the balloons and slid down to the port side, beginning the tedious task of examining for damages. Except for some scratched paint, the hull was more intact then he expected.
Climbing back up to the main deck, Douglas spotted their gunner, loading some sort of ammunition into one of the guns, before he gazed upon the captain at the helm.
He made his way up to where she stood, before stopping and leaning against the railing.
"Ya every flew through Dead Man's Ally cap'n?"
FabulousTrash FabulousTrash

As Calista was walking off the helm, she looked up and saw Douglas coming towards her. She stopped just as he stopped, leaning against the side railing. Listening to his question, she gave him a smile.

Two times. One time through the small channel between the mountain ranges and a second time cutting straight through it into The Wasteland.

Calista didnt think much about the question. It was understandable that most of her crew was uneasy about their course. Though, Douglas was an interesting person. He seemed rather critical about everything. Not like there was nothing wrong with that.

The girl rested a hand on her hip, looking more relaxed than her crew combined. She had faith that things would turn out well. The best she could in regards to her crew was just reassure them that she knew what she was doing. And for the most part, she was.

Everything looked good when you checked?

Elekta Kount Elekta Kount

Avyana sits next to one of the two beds, the assortment of tools laid out in front of her as well as a small pale off to the side that could only be assumed as her own tools. Finally satisfied after taking inventory she fills a tub with water and dilutes some sort of chemical in it as she starts scrubbing all of the tools and appliances. She human an unrecognizable tune to herself as she mentally makes a list of all the other tasks that need to be done.

StarryKnights StarryKnights

"Nuthin' ya got to worry about, hen, not till ya start bishin' an' bashin' this thing."
Douglas just snorted, not smiling back.
"An' how do you reckon we are pullin' through the mountains this time 'round?"

Calista didnt need to think about her reply

We'll just have to stay up higher than usual. Once we're clear, we'll drop altitude

Calista looked at her pocket watch. 10:10. They had five more minutes before go time. Looking back up at Douglas, she remained composed.

Five minutes till. Lets get ready for take off.

Calista made her way to the side of the ship that was facing the landing platform of the tower, waving to get the attention of a few guys standing around. She pointed to her wrist, and they understood her message. They shouted out a few words that were hard to hear and the landing platform came to life with people as they got ready to release the Gear Grinder, some of the men taking positions at the cranes along the sides of the landing platform. But first, Calista had to start the airship's engines.

Going back to the helm, she stood infront of the controls, taking a small breath before reaching over to a rather obvious red lever. Pulling it down, she could feel and hear the engines beginning to start, the propellers in the back starting to spin. After a few seconds, she released the lever as the engine revved up to idle speed.

FictionallyPerfect FictionallyPerfect SakuraBlossom28 SakuraBlossom28 StarryKnights StarryKnights Elekta Kount Elekta Kount

Last edited:
Ariska blinked and smiled, shaking Avyana's hand she spoke. "...Of course ma'am! I look forward to flying with you".
Well, it was nice to be on friendly terms with the person she'd be working closely with. She followed Avyana up the landing and onto the ship. Ariska had never been on a fully stocked airship before, it was kinda surreal. She didn't have long to dwell on it though, Captain Mintz walked over and addressed them soon after everyone was on board.
She glanced in the direction the captain indicated, wondering if the dorm was coed or not.
If it was Ariska knew she'd just have to deal...and make sure to handle all changing when the boys weren't around.
Ariska gave a shot bow to the captain before following after Avyana, she picked the bed beside the older woman, setting her bag on top of it she pulled out a few personal affects.
One was a small picture frame, it showed a young Ariska and her smiling mother. The other was a beaten up old metal locket, inside which was the only picture Ariska had of her father. She didn't have long to doddle though, Avyana was already moving out the door, off to inspect the med bay.
Ariska scampered to follow after her after grabbing her own bag of tools.
"So...what would you like me to do?"
She spoke, watching as Avyana cleaned off what Ariska assumed were her own set of tools.
She suppose she should clean her instruments as well...

FictionallyPerfect FictionallyPerfect

"If you would like dear I will clean all the tools and you can clean where we will be storing them, everything in this room needs to be wiped down so the order we do it in really doesn't matter, ones all the toll and their containers are clean we should clean the counters and make sure the bed linens are in top shape as well, and if they are not, we clean them. Does that sound like a plan?"

She looks up from cleaning for just a moment to observe the girl, hoping she wasn't talking to harshly. Being in her space really helped the rest of her personality and confidence establish itself. everything about her seemed a little bit brighter and happier. Even if she had hung up her vest and rolled up her sleeves and just kinda looked a little bit more rough around the edges.

"Stay higher then usual!?"
Douglas exclaimed, as he watched the young girl. When the captain was back to the helm, he was messaging his temples.
"I don't suppose you've flown above it, or have even thought about it, have ya?"
Douglas pointed to the balloons above.
"Ya think the balloons an' the equipment can handle it at that altitude? If we go too high, the balloon's going to depressurize, or worse, just stright up go kabloo. Not mentionin' how much damage the equipment 'ill sustain with the wind an' lot."

Calista was still busy with getting the airship to a hovering point, but was listening to Douglas at the same time.

The mountains over at Dead Man's Alley aren't as high as some people believe them to be. We wont be going ungodly high. Just enough to clear most of it.

It was just about 10:15. The engine of the airship was humming at idle as the balloon was fully filled with air. Slowly, the airship began to rise off the hooks of the cranes. The men on the landing platform quickly retracted the hooks so they wouldnt snag on the hull of the ship while it was still rising.

The large gates that regulated when airships could enter and exit opened up, and the light above the gate turned green. Reaching over to a handheld microphone, Calista pressed and held down the button on the side, speaking into the device. Throughout the ship, on speakers nested in the corners of every room, Calista's voice could be heard

And we're off! Get one last good look at this place, because we wont be back for a while.

She released the button on the side and re-mounted the handheld onto the console as she reached for another lever, which was in its neutral position on a circular throttle controller. Lifting the lever up to engage forward thrust, the airship began to move and ease itself forward towards the open gates. Calista steered it through with ease. As the Gear Grinder came out of the tower, there was a massive crowd gathered on the surface, looking up to see one of the fleet's famed airships leave. People were cheering and tossing their hats up. Calista just smiled as she continued to pilot the Grinder out and away.

FictionallyPerfect FictionallyPerfect SakuraBlossom28 SakuraBlossom28 StarryKnights StarryKnights Elekta Kount Elekta Kount

Douglas was about to say somthing else, but then he sighed, pushing the air between him and his captain.
"What ever ya say, hen. Just don't come blamin' me when we smash ourselves into the bloody ground...just the like of us puttin' up with the cluessless mec..."
Douglas muttered to himself the last part, as he made his way down the stair case.
Otwin meanwhile was at the head of the ship on one of the weapons platforms, standing near the bow of the ship. He had his goggles on now, and had out his spyglass but was not using it. The gunner was watching as they sailed out of the docks.
"Where's the other engineer at?"
Douglas bellowed.

Once they actually set sail, Mariko stumbled slightly and almost lost her balance due to the unfamiliar motions. She hurried over to a window and watched the port quickly get smaller and smaller in awe. She hadn't seen anything like it before, and it was exhilarating to her. She wondered if the remainder of the crew was as nervous and excited as her, or if this was just another day for them and they had more important things to work on. Once the ship started sailing more smoothly, she jumped when she heard Douglas' loud voice calling for her. "I'm right here, sir! I checked some of the engines earlier before we took off and they seemed to be in working condition," She explained with her usual smile and a nod. "If there's more work to be done, then I need to get my tool box,"

"That's because I've already tuned it up, ya ninny."
Douglas grunted, shaking his head while he looked over the engineer.
"Least ya not all fancy now, maybe ya ready to actrually get to work this time around instead of playin'."
Douglas looked about the ship for a moment before looking back at the other engineer.
"Roight, this ship is bigger then me o'l home back at the pits, wot that means is we've got to chalk up the responsibilities you an' me. Since our soft-in-the-'ead cap'n is decidin' that we'd be killin' ourselves against the cold, 'ard ground, we've got to be watchin' both the engines and the balloons to make sure neither gives in durin' our acendin' inta da heavens."
The older engineer placed his hands around his hips and adjusted his cap, before continuing.
"Wot did ya do on those last to "adventures" of yas to wonderland or what not?"

Last edited:
She subtly rolled her eyes at his tone. This was going to be a lot harder than she originally anticipated. "I don't think I was really playing, and being formal is just something I do," She shrugged lightly. Mariko then nodded at his orders, mentally taking note of them. "I was slightly younger when my parents took me on those trips, but I was to oversee one of the engines in the ship. I had a little box of tools with me and I was excited to actually get something important done, but the engine worked just fine for our trip. Probably for the best, as I was still getting used to this thing and I didn't want any accidents," She motioned to the big gauntlet on her arm.

"Ya betta get ready then, because I'd wager the engine's gunna get buggered up once we've gotten too high inta the air."
Douglas grunted as he looked up at the balloons.
"Don't be thinkin' ya be too ready fer climbin' the balloons yet, but I can't be both up there an' down 'ere all the time. So I need someon' on deck 'elpin' out wiv the guns an' watchin' the engines. Think ya can handle that without buggerin' everythin' up?"

Mariko nodded eagerly. "Sounds like my personal specialty! I can handle it just fine," She thought about giving him a smile to reassure him, but quickly decided against it. "So, do we get started now? It seems like everyone else has gone off to do their own jobs," She tugged on her ponytail and quickly pulled it up into a tight bun to keep it out of her way even more.

Ariska nodded, "Yes Ma'am". She gave a little salute before setting her bag aside and getting to work cleaning. She decided to start with the shelves and cabinets as that was where they'd be storing their supplies. It was important that their utensils remains as clean as possible...though they would all be disinfected before being put to any use.
To avoid spreading disease all precautions should be taken. As Ariska worked she looked around the room, familiarizing herself with the location of the beds, cabinets and the like.
"this is so much...nicer than the training bays we used at school". she commented aloud as she worked on one cabinet.
Not long after she felt the ship lurch, and then slowly begin to rie, Ariska gripped the side of a counter for a second as she grew used to the sensation of flying.
She'd never flown in an airship before...it was kinda surreal actually. She could hardly believe she was here...apart of a crew on a fully functioning galleon.
"So...Avyana...I imagine this isn't your first mission...". the girl looked back to the elder woman. "I gotta say...I'm a littler nervous...given this is my first one".

FictionallyPerfect FictionallyPerfect

"no dear this is indeed my first mission"
she lifts up the bucket to keep everything from sloshing over and she then sets the bucket with all the tools into a corner
"I was just a high end surgeon before doing this so I know my way around whatever situation im put into as long as I have the proper medical bay. and yes this is better than the training equipment but the hospital was better than this."
She leaves the tools to soak and disinfect, she then gets out the mop and starts to mop the floor making sure to reach all of the corners. "Ariska I can understand why you're nervous but everything that goes on on this ship is out of our control, all we can do is keep everyone alive, that is where all of your attention should be"

Douglas raised an eyebrow, but didn't grunt or scoffed like he normally did.
"Go check on the weapons an' our tommy boy over there, I need to prep the engine fer the journey into the mountains."
Douglas said that while pointing over to Otwin.
"Go on, doll, we 'aven't got all day."

It didnt take long for the Gear Grinder to clear the city as it got further and further away. Calista reached behind the steering wheel, pulling a small lever down and locked the wheel in place, lowering the speed of the airship so that she could get a grasp of their surroundings. Taking out her spyglass, she extended it and raised it up to her eye, peering through.

The mountain range was directly up ahead, but Calista needed to find a good break between the ridges to enter Dead Man's Alley. It took her a few minutes, but she managed to spot on off to the left a little ways. She'd hope to find one on the right side, closer to White Lake, but they couldnt dawdle too much. Lowering and putting her spyglass away, she released the steering wheel lock, spinning the wheel to the left. The rudders in the rear moved, turning the airship to the left. Once facing directly at the gap, Calista straightened out the wheel, locked it and increased the speed, stretching lightly. It would take about 20 minutes to get to the gap, so she had some time to check in with the crew. Leaving the helm, she decided to see how the medics were doing. She hadn't seem them since leaving the tower.

She made her way down to the medical room, knocking on the open door and leaned against the frame, smiling

Everything alright in here? They just recently re-supplied all the medical stuff, so you should all have everythin.

FictionallyPerfect FictionallyPerfect StarryKnights StarryKnights

Users who are viewing this thread