• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Space Survival Horror Search - AKA The Horror Time Forgot/What Lurks Beyond The Stars

Neon Valkyrie

She Who Is Called I Am
Inspired by Event Horizon, Dead Space, Prometheus, Aliens, and Others

The year is 2760 AD. Humanity is just beginning to spread itself across the milky way, with a few dozen planets already colonized, a half-dozen more being terraformed, and a multitude of floating colonies drifting around between them. As far as we've come, the human condition remains the same; The income divide is staggering, and despite all of our access to mind-boggling technologies, space has become the number one sought-after commodity. The poor live in closets lining the lowest levels of cities and satellite colonies, work four part time jobs, and riot frequently. The rich live care-free lives in private suburbs; Martian Mews Corp Gated Communities or Pleasant Nebula Luxury Colonies. The farthest reaches seem to be the only places where opportunity still exists, and surveying worlds for terraforming is a dangerous, but lucrative career.

Enter the crew of the UFP Denizen, a Sojourner class deep space ship. They've just found what looks like a potential goldmine of a find, but when the survey crew heads in to take samples, they find something ... unexpected ...

I'm totally open to world building, but I've been craving a good old deep space survival RP, and I'm looking for 4-5 like minded people to join me for the ride.

Questions, comments, perishable goods?

Or; The TSF Lancer was an experimental long-range colony vessel that, on its maiden voyage, disappeared from long-range sensors with a full crew and five hundred civilian colonists. It's a decade later, and the incident has long been forgotten, when a familiar blip appears at the edge of the system. A group of scientists and security personnel are dispatched to assess the non-responsive ship. Blasting their way in through the cargo hold at the bottom of the ship, they find the place abandoned, running on minimal power. As they begin to move upward through the ship, however, it becomes clear that the ship did indeed make a voyage all those years ago, past the edges of our known universe, and into what lies beyond, and from that void it returned with ... with something evil.

Or; It all started when the ship passed through a strange plasma storm, and was struck by some kind of energy. Now systems are failing across the ship, and people are ... seeing things ... impossible things. It's like ... a rift has been opened, a doorway into ... into wherever our nightmares live. We have to find a way out, we have to get out!

Or; Something is on-board. Something that lurks in the shadows, rustles thought the vents, watches from the darkness ... something that's killing some, and taking others ... and time is running out.

... Space Shark ... No, only kidding, it would probably be the xenomorph from aliens.

Well I really like the whole "Something is on this ship with us" idea and you've kinda done that with two of your suggestions and I'm struggling to pick. It's between the second and the last one, but I think I'm leaning more towards the second option.

It has the whole abandoned and derelict horror-esque feel to it with the hint of alien threat to it. It raises creepily exciting questions: where is everyone and what happened to the previous people onboard? What caused the ship to be put into such a disastrous state? What happened when they went on into the unknown? And what untold horror had they brought back from the beyond?

I mean, it is basically the set up to the next Alien movie, or any of the previous Alien movies for that matter, and I love it. I'm thinking that perhaps the crew discovered a habitable planet that seemed to hold the remnants of an ancient civilisation aeons ago. When they landed and began to set up camp, a explorer teams wandered into the archaic temple ruins in search of answers as to who the builders were, only to reawaken something terrible. There was a reason this once so wonderful society had been brought into extinction: a creation of unparalleled scientific marvel and complete terror-inducing malevolence, a biological masterpiece that would become the predator of every living thing in existence should it escape the confines of this planet - which the last inhabitants of had tried to prevent, apparently dying in the process.

And the colony ship, in its people's panicked scramble to escape this new terror, had brought it back to you. The ship, now having been destroyed from the inside by this scourge, has floated in space for some time now. Your team has picked it up on your sensors and you have been issued the command from the higher ups to investigate. You and (insert number here) others will board the vessel and garner the truth as to its disappearance and the reason behind its current state. Meanwhile, a dangerous threat lurks beneath the steel grill flooring and within the metal ventilation above, stealing its way through the dark expanse of the walls that hide such unfathomably horrific secrets. Five hundred fresh hosts, all held in stasis via cryopods and ripe for... Breeding. The team will not go in unopposed. It is only a matter of time before they are hunted down and assimilated. Can they learn the truth and escape in time?

That's the kinda thing I was thinking, you know? It'll be one massive exploration of a story that has gone on without us, juxtaposed by the continuous, ongoing and overwhelming threat of whatever these aliens are gonna be. Survival, horror, story telling, action - the whole shebang! Heck, we can even have people play as these aliens if they wanted, tell BOTH sides of the story! Maybe some colonists have survived all this time? Maybe some of the aliens have gained the intelligence necessary for communication with our team? The possibilities really are as endless as space. : D

Any of that sound good to you?

It all sounds great! Actually ... yes, yes, Idea, we mash the two ideas together ... into what is basically the plot of Alien:Isolation.

A research team finds something biological on an otherwise barren planet being reviewed for terraforming. Without the proper facilities for a full examination, the team heads to a near by deep-space colony station to refuel and charter their route home. While aboard the colony station, something happens, and the organism gets loose, yadda yadda yadda.

The characters are aboard a transport ship, colonists, replacement crew for the station, drifters, just people travelling to the outer edge of the galaxy. They come out of hyper-sleep to find the system non-responsive to hails. They dock via the emergency landing bay and proceed inside, where everything seems normal ... then all hell.

As for the actual creature, I like the idea of it being a killing machine, or some kind of space parasite. In Event Horizon, the original inspiration, it's like ... silent hill style shapeless evil. I suppose we should just get some more peeps and take a vote, but if my other attempts at starting this give any indication, it might just be the two of us.

Kloudy Kloudy

EDIT: (Because I'm bored, and have more time to re-read your post without chores and the day looming.) I really like your idea of the object in question being from a temple, maybe it's even from a planet nearby, and the group has to take to the surface to get some answers! And yeah, I totally get you, like feeling your way around a dark room, getting to assemble the pieces of a mystery-in-progress, only to have all them point to this horrific, unstoppable thing that's now coming for you. I'm REALLY hoping this takes off!

Last edited:
You know ... we could always just START, and hopefully it would attract others. We could play characters from the drop ship, and anyone who joins in along the way could be survivors that we've stumbled across ... it even builds in a prompt for new participants to contribute to the lore, because they have to explain what's been happening from their perspective.

Potentially, but I think we should grab at least someone to be in this dropship with us. I'm not too fond of 1x1s. I'll put an ad out now.

Kloudy Kloudy Agreed, best case scenario we get three more people. Keeps the pace moving, the ideas coming, there are enough people to spread the NPC work around, but it's not so many people you get crowding or great big long pauses in activity. I firmly support a posting order too.

Hmm, well if we are on an advanced spaceship, intercepting another advanced spaceship, I'd probably make my character a ship engineer, whether it be small stuff like a refrigerator, or big crap like the engine. As for input, I suggest adding information about any species involved in this universe (I mean, besides the space death killer thingy), like an overview of sorts, also mapping the ship we would be traveling on, and having maps set up for any place you have us predestined to explore would be nice.

Eyo my guy! Long time no rp man! : D

(Also, you know you can edit your posts you know xD)

Eyo my guy! Long time no rp man! : D

(Also, you know you can edit your posts you know xD)

Long time indeed, the rp's I join seem to die, which has put me in a state of rp depression.
I'm fully aware of the edit function, but it wouldn't be comedic if I were to edit it out, because one does not simply, "edit ones post".

One does fairy simply "edit ones post" by very simply pressing ones "edit" button rather simply in the most simplistic manner, good sir.

But yes, the comedic value of your odd mishappening was indeed quite inherently entertaining. ; )

CabalAnomicPotato CabalAnomicPotato Kloudy Kloudy
I do intend to list a few areas we'll encounter, but I want people to have the freedom to kind of ... be spontaneous. As for player races, everyone will be human, but I haven't decided on the antagonist yet ... for that we need some ideas. We could just go Aliens, or it could be a helpful thing aboard the ship that went crazy ... like Aliens, or like Soma. Any ideas?

I do intend to list a few areas we'll encounter, but I want people to have the freedom to kind of ... be spontaneous. As for player races, everyone will be human, but I haven't decided on the antagonist yet ... for that we need some ideas. We could just go Aliens, or it could be a helpful thing aboard the ship that went crazy ... like Aliens, or like Soma. Any ideas?
An alien on a desolate planet/ship who was frozen in stasis because of a virus it possessed. This virus would make the host act like a killing machine, an animal of sorts, and for a little extra effect, this monster could either kill of infect it's victims. I'd say it spreads like a zombie virus, one bite and you either dead of losing a limb. This could also be used to explained the abandoned structure we would run into, as because of the aliens virus they kept it trapped.
Yep, that's what I thought of off the top of my head. Cool alien death virus is cool.

Hmmm, zombies don't feel oitlandish enough to me ... What about like ... Dead Space? That's pretty much where we're headed anyway. An ancient space parasite that transformes people into horrobly mutated super predators possessed by a singular, malevolent will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back