• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Multiple Settings Soul Mate Defects [Closed]

nomuseneeded

THE WORLD

The year is 2019, but the universe is much different. Almost every person born is born with something special-- a little part of their DNA that matches someone else's. Their soulmates. The person whose you love on sight, and who causes a burst of hormones at first meeting not unlike a pregnant women giving birth. Hundreds of years ago, not everyone met their soulmate. It was the widely held belief that the soulmate was the best one for you, but sometimes distance was too great. Different cultures dealt with this in different ways. Some searched far and wide for soulmates. Others simply let people choose who they loved. Some would allow procreation with non-soulmates, but nothing else.

Nowadays though, things are both simpler and more complex. DNA can be tracked. In America, it is common practice to take a baby's DNA at birth, and put them in The Registry. People can then search The Registry for matches, and meet "the one". Marriages to others become taboo. As it becomes easier and easier to find your one, people become more and more prejudice against those who chose not to, and while the death of a soulmate is hard, leaving a soulmate is even harder. Emotional and physical responses mirror severe depression and withdrawals, no matter how they felt about the person they left, and there is a very little chance the person will find anyone else they can feel that strongly about.

Not everyone is born healthy though, and some people lose their health over time. Like every other part of their body "Heratonin", the chemical responsible for most of the soulmate reactions, the DNA itself, the Heratonin receptors, and other important parts of the body involved in finding and loving your soulmate, can be damaged. At times the damage can be debilitating. People may see everyone as their soulmate, and have withdrawals when anyone leaves their presence. Their body may deliver other chemicals with every release of Heratonin, causing intense fear, hunger, or other body responses, ranging from annoying, to severe. There have been tales of people with DID having different people fall in love with different personalities. The range and severity of SM defects, as they are commonly called, is practically limitless. About 25% of the population has some sort of SM defect, though only 5% are severe enough to need chronic medical or psychiatric treatment, and most of that can be fixed with medicine.

Just as there are special clinics for other diseases, clinics for SM defects begin to arise as people are more willing to admit to their problems, and finding your SM becomes more important. One such clinic is called "St. Valentine's Home" and specialized in those with SM defects so severe they are not able to enter the real world. While they do have some outpatient programs for those severely affected by their SM Defect who can still live on their own, even those have no chance of ever having a normal relationship with their soulmate.

As prejudice increases across America, and more wish to return to 'conservative' values as more families begin to fail, a new law is passed. Everyone unwed over twenty-one is required to meet their soulmate at least three times, over the period of a month, and if they wish to stay apart from them still, then they can fill out paperwork to do so. While there are special clauses to help those not wanting someone the gender of their soulmate, people who are unable to travel to see their soulmate, those not mentally capable, and other such problems, there is of yet no clause to help those with SM Defects, as long as their mental age is at least twenty-one. So, the workers of St. Valentine's Home are quite devastated to find a government worker show up at their front door, checking people's mental age, and beginning to send in their soulmates, whether the patients are prepared for them or not.

OOC Information
I'm interested in people to play both those with SM defects and their soul mates. After I post a character sheet, I will randomly pair people with someone of the gender pairings they are comfortable with. People may play one person with MS defects and one healthy soul mate (I'll make sure you're not paired with yourself, don't worry). This is not to say those are the people that need to end up together, it's just a place to start. There will be group dates, where everyone interacts with each other, and times when just the people living in the home are there, as well as the 'healthy' people who wait at the date site before everyone else gets there. I'm willing to consider different ideas in this world, but all the final decisions are mine. If there is any OOC fighting, I expect it to be worked out like adults. As such, I would like every player to be 18. All RPNation rules will be followed, but there will be triggers in this rp, which I expect people to warn about before each post, including your character sheet. There will also be a spot on the character sheet to share any triggers, in case there is something people don't know how to tag. For now, all I'm looking for is who is interested. I don't have a set number of people I want to play, but I think I'll cap it at ten. Whether we get four or all ten I will be happy. Thanks!

I'm a fan of soulmate stories and dystopian, so count me as (tentatively) interested

Well, I do have a few questions, if that's alright by you! Just about how you're expecting to run this.

How detailed are you looking for with character sheets? Is there a length minimum for responses? Annnd lastly: how often will players be expected to post?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions they're just basic things I like to know before I commit to a group.

No totally I'm glad you asked questions! I'm making a character sheet right now, I should link to it within an hour I'd say. It has a lot of basic boxes, then a personality and history section that should both be at least a (five sentence) paragraph. That's the same minimum length for responses, but more is encouraged! If you haven't said you'll be gone, I'll bump (PM) you after two weeks. If you don't respond to the bump for two more weeks and don't post I may consider that your character fell off the face of the Earth. But if you have a good reason to be gone, and warn me whenever possible, we can work it out.

Sounds good :) I'll change my 'tentatively interested' to just 'interested', then! Very excited for this.

2 more less important questions and again I'm so sorry: when should we get sheets in by? I ask this because I'm currently getting ready to head back up to my college dorm, so while I may be able to get it done today after the sheet is posted, I'm hesitant to make promises. Secondly, is BBcode going to be in any way mandatory?

No I'm glad you're asking questions! I'm thinking within a week (next Monday), unless I really can't find enough characters in that time. And, if you can't guess, I can't code. So I don't expect you guys to be able to either lol.

Okay awesome. Thanks! If you could tag me when you get the CS thread up, it'd be much appreciated

They can have autism or depression provided they also have a soulmate defect. Or you can make a character with autism or depression that doesn't have a soulmate defect to have them paired up with someone that does. I'm totally fine with characters who are neurodivergent, but they wouldn't be staying at St. Valentine's unless it was soulmate related.

I have the character sheet thread posted a few posts up, feel free to throw something on there when you have a minute or ask any questions here. I'm an open book. And if you need help coming up with a defect I have a few interesting ones thought out.

I have the character sheet thread posted a few posts up, feel free to throw something on there when you have a minute or ask any questions here. I'm an open book. And if you need help coming up with a defect I have a few interesting ones thought out.
If it's alright with you could I hear about those defects you had in mind?

Sure! We already have someone making a CS for someone who experiences Heratonin for everyone, which was one of my ideas, but I also like the idea that some people experience Heratonin for no one, despite having a soulmate. Their body simply doesn't produce Heratonin. It means not only does their soulmate not feel special to them, but very special moments (birth of children, weddings, graduations, etc.) don't feel special. Heratonin produces the 'very special' feelings. A general depression might also be a side effect. Another option is something like chemicals in their brain getting messed up: for example, anytime any of those very special moments happen or the person meets their soulmate, they pass out. It would make an actual interaction with your soulmate very hard if you could never stay conscious for it. If you don't like either of those, tell me and I can come up with some others.

Everskold Everskold I think that would probably be fine! I like the idea of soulmates being random because that's the idea of soulmates, you can't choose, but I'm willing to make an exception if its something you really want.

That makes perfect sense! I'd wait till everyone posts a character sheet, just so you get to see all your options, and then you'll pick first and I'll use a random number generator with the rest of them. I may give a few more days. It depends on how much time the people who express interest need. I would like at least six characters, though as I said people can play two if they want, but if a lot more people express interest I'm willing for the number to be higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back