Anime & Manga Soul Eater Setting/Mechanics

glowworms

nightshores
Because I have issues with some Soul Eater stuff. First is with how complex it is at time and second with misunderstanding how some stuff works, here's a thread where I try to explain a bunch of different stuff. Also, there will be so many SPOILERS, so tread with caution.

Anyways, to begin with is the confusion with the Kishin/Afreet Eggs/Evil Human Souls.

Kishin gets translated by Funimation as "Afreet." Kishin/Afreet Eggs only appear in the anime. In the manga, the same things are the souls of evil humans on the Shinigami List.

And then there is the Kishin/Afreet. The idea of a Kishin likely comes from the concept of "wrathful dieties" and is made up of the characters "oni" and "god." Kishins are beings which have eaten enough pure human souls and have developed a madness wavelength. The first kishin is Asura, who is a fragment of the Shinigami/Lord Death. He was a Meister who made his weapon, Vajra, eat pure human souls and then later ate his weapon. Kishin is like a title that describes what Asura is.

The Funimation subs call Kishins "Afreet" from time to time, which is confusing as Afreet come from an entirely different set of beliefs than Kishin.

Anyways, join me next time as I explain the deal with the Great Old Ones.

glowworms glowworms Hey, thanks for this! I know a few times I was confused with some of those things when reading the manga and watching the anime around the same time. (Then again, I'm confused easily, so it's no surprise.)
This helped with the leftover confusion I had after figuring stuff out! Thanks a bunch! ^^
(And thank you in advance for future clearing-up!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back