• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Soul Eater: F.A.T.E

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Jarvis and Reiko
Rieko's Teahouse

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f55457a35525a456a32302d6c79673d3d2d3130352e313562373837366261363133383065373137303435373833353138392e6a7067
Jarvis sighed. Morning workout sounded like it would be a pain. Night workout less so, but still tiresome. It wasn’t like Jarvis could build muscle anyway. Bloodsuckers got stronger with age…though training itself wasn’t entirely useless. He could still train. Hone his mental senses. Learn.

Seated in one of the teahouse tables (whichever one Zari picked), Jarvis sipped on the chicken blood provided by Rieko’s husband– squeezed out and thoughtfully poured into an asian-styled bowl–as he watched Adrian, Elly, Sage, and Zari take their turns talking one on one to Reiko. He didn’t even need to listen in to guess how the conversations went. Adrian took the longest. Elly, Sage, and Zari were fairly quick in comparison. When he heard Cyrus’s voice emanating from the back rooms, Jarvis rolled his eyes, but otherwise didn’t comment. Listening in wasn’t very polite after all, so he focused on his food while Elly talked.

He ordered his meats raw, of course. Ordered what he thought Zari would like as well. No need to be hesitant since the food was free. Probably. If not, he counted on his partner to pay the bills. Getting his feet as soon as Zari stepped out, Jarvis gave the meister an understanding pat on the shoulder before handing him the menu and taking his turn.

Communication wasn’t an easy thing for even the most eloquent of speakers; There was more to it than just words. Taking a crossed legged seat across from Rieko, Jarvis simply yawned–hand over his mouth–and waited for Rieko to open the conversation. The one on one talks were her idea, after all.

As soon as Zari left out the call of “Next!” rang out, as Rieko watches Jarvis enter and yawn, taking a seat from across her, studying him briefly she cuts right to the chase, holding her hand near the tea pot. “Care for some Oolong tea, or have questions for me before I get to mine?”

“No thanks. I already drank.” Jarvis replied to the tea question before studying the Deathscythe in front of him. He pondered what questions he ought to ask their mentor–since he had many–before ultimately settling on one to start. Opportunities to get answers ought to be taken, after all. “...Why did you choose to become a Deathsycthe?”

-
__sendai_hakurei_no_miko_original_and_2_more_drawn_by_kongari_tokei__19109d55c02ca988e297b97a8aa0a63c.jpg
Pausing a bit, she was surprised that was the question he chose. “I did not choose it persee. It was my duty and it was expected of me after the hunt. I even went to the reserves but was called back to full service with the outbreak. I am a weapon and a woman of faith. To become a Deathscythe is a great honor. A better question is why would I not? To which I say, it is a path that demands the greatest of attention, struggle and service.”

"I see…,"
Jarvis replied, simply absorbing the information. "Your turn, I guess…"

“Hmm, very well. I could think of more than a few questions to ask you, but these are the three I asked everyone. What do you want from the Program? What do you think of your team? And lastly, what do you wish for yourself?”

“I want the program to be my path back into DWMA.” He didn’t really expect anything else out of the FATE program. “My team seems decent enough–I know two of them and I have nothing against the others.” Neither the students nor the mentors he’d been newly assigned. “I wish for myself to keep the promise I once made and finish what I started.” Jarvis finished succinctly, responding in the same order and manner the questions were posed. Easy enough questions to answer and it wasn’t like Jarvis had anything to hide. He tilted his head, noting how she’d asked the same question of the others. “Why those three questions in particular?”

“Hmm..” Listening to his answers Rieko gave a nod, if acknowledging or approving was not immediately clear. Still he at least had a question unlike so many others. An interesting one in its own right, pouring a shot of Sake, she mused to herself as she took a sip. Setting the cup down she decided to answer him. “Should I ask why you all errored, about why you are here? Should I ask about your missing years? You wish to rejoin the fold and while a bit more lax than the others I find that reason enough to not ask what has been asked a hundred times or held above you all.”

With that she smiles thinly. “As to why those questions exactly, they are simple enough that I doubt any of you would lie and they are ones within my power to help or to correct. And the final one if it should not complement the first can be a source of headache.”

"Ask if you want,"
Shrugging at the ‘lax’ descriptor regarding his reason, Jarvis yawned. “I’m glad I don’t have your job. Correcting people sounds like a hassle.”

“Hmm. I don’t seek to correct. Only to give a measure of faith and Valor to reshape what was good about it. Would I turn Adrian into a Pacifist? Hardly. He must just learn who his enemies are and when to harm them. In your case I think just being around the group would help, though being what you are would make training difficult, least you like to play Daywalker?"

“Not at all,” Jarvis rolled his eyes and sighed. “But I do what I must. I’ve even gotten kind of used to it…” Defying his biological clock, that is. If a human could deal with jet lag, he could deal with adjusting his sleep schedule. Maybe. The lazy bloodsucker slumped over the low table between them. Just thinking about it was making him tired. Instead he focused his attention on Rieko’s remarks about Adrian. “...are you sure Maiden doesn’t know his enemies from his allies? I wasn’t there to see his fight, so I don’t know what he did to have his collar activated, but I’ve watched him fight Zari hundreds of times. In all those times, there was never a moment where he went too far…”

Granted, Zari was a touch above his league when it came to close quarter combat.

“Hmm, I’m putting that into my considerations, but he will get the same training regardless. He is not here without reason. I must see what he and all of you are about. These folders and files aren’t the sum of who you all are. Still, if you wish to nap or sleep during the morning training, by all means. You however will be expected to do it at some point. Had anything else to ask me about?” Rieko says in an even mannered reply.

Listening as Rieko closed that line of discussion with her vague response, Jarvis sighed but nodded in acceptance. At least she was thinking about it. Jarvis wasn’t a teacher. He didn’t have a degree in psychology. He could only give his perspective as teammate and, while he did think Adrian was unreasonably lashing out at their newly assigned mentors, he couldn’t help notice how staunchly defensive Maiden was about the outcome of a small introduction game as well; Given they walked the line of termination by being in the FATE program, Jarvis supposed it kind of made sense? “If you’ll be watching us, I only hope you’ll do so with open eyes and judge us fairly. You’re one of the teachers of this program, after all, and your review of our performance will likely influence our future in DWMA. I won’t question the assignments you provide for us or the decisions you make for the Team.”

While Jarvis didn’t particularly mind working with Maiden again for future missions, separating the potential partnership of Adrian and Aishi just because they’d yet to familiarize themselves with each other seemed a tad too hasty; It didn’t give them the opportunity to improve their relationship and implied that they couldn’t work together - which Jarvis didn’t believe to be the case. Autonomous weapon or not, the zombie hadn’t abandoned Maiden when he got collar-sedated, after all. Then again, so long as Jarvis wasn’t separated from Zari, just like the case of the forest, he didn’t particularly mind how the teams were divided. Team of twos? Threes? Did it matter? He continued lazily, drawing small circles on the table with his finger . “As sleepy as I’ll be in the morning, I’ll do all the classwork and training necessary to ensure I pass. I have a goal, after all. It’s your job in fact…so if there’s anything I want from you, Blood Priestess, it’s your advice on how to become a Deathscythe, your views on the job, etc.”

Yawning, the bloodsucker straightened from his slumped over position and rubbed the back of his neck. “I’m also a bit curious about your relationship with Az…but that’s not particularly important…” Just a small curiosity about what his old classmates had been up to while he’d chased Atli, become a bloodsucker, and essentially dropped out of DWMA. “...and I doubt you’ll tell me what you talked about with the others…”

Jarvis shrugged. “...so unless you would like to elaborate on any of these topics, I guess we’re done…”

He had no other questions.

“Ha.” Listening to his words, the Miko was a bit amused, though in the way of a Drill Sergeant when an LT or new recruit said they had an idea. Still, he deserved something of a response at least. “By all means, Question when you see a need. I’m not wanting to make you all into fresh Agents when you leave here that only know to do and die. Though I will say upon my Faith in Death that I will be watching. And as to how you all pass, well, in time we’ll go over that I’m sure.”

“As to how you become a Deathscythe...”
The smile left her face as a stern look, the one she often looked at them all with returned, shadows seemed to form over her eyes and upper face as she leaned in. “...you must survive, fight and kill, endure wounds that even scar an immortal weapon, you must strive for a higher ideal and purpose, fight as if your life depends upon it and be ready for the underhanded and deliver righteous fury. You must defend the souls of the weak and innocent and consume that which is evil. Without hesitation, without self preservation. Fight till you or they break. And then fight some more. As to how I see the job, it is a sacred duty to safeguard mankind and the souls of those here and from before. We are the first and only line of defense against many unnatural things.”

Jarvis’s shoulders slumped in resignation, but otherwise he nodded and remained silent.

With that Reiko pauses and leans back to where she was from before. “As to what I talked about with the others, no, I cannot tell you that, but you can ask them. As for me and Az, we paired up during the recovery period and were instructors in the previous attempt to help right the wrongs now in F.A.T.E.”

“Huh…thanks for telling me,”
Hands in his pockets, Jarvis stood. “You’ve given me plenty of food for thought.”

A clearer understanding of his mentors and their expectations as well. Well, one of them anyway. As Jarvis exited the room, the bloodsucker could be heard muttering to himself. “...Should have chosen night security or something. What the hell was I thinking???”

Prizzy Kriyze Prizzy Kriyze RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun Sir Les Paul Sir Les Paul Serei2477 Serei2477 Azurian Dream Azurian Dream EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen

fdae61bdbe9be7d681df8fe4500ebda3--nata.jpg

Adrian Hackney

"The Maiden"

Species Human
Partner None
Rank Fate Agent

Location Death City, waiting room at Reiko's
Mission Mission recap
Status Slightly less Groggy, moody

divider-wild-pirate-mutiny-rank-hearthstone-decks-30.png

Adrian was the first into the waiting room Reiko had established. Her place was more than quaint. It was quite elaborate. Or more accurately, styled. It had a certain ambiance to it in all places he had seen. If he was one for decor, he me might have absorbed this in and used it for some type of analysis. Alas, he was not. For a brief while, he had only his thoughts to reflect on. His anger was not what they thought it to be, but it did burn within him. It was not explosive like firecrackers. It did not burn with some intense heat, like thermite. It was more like ever-present embers that flared up. It was the type of heat one did not have from eating Indian chili. Instead, it was a persistent and frustrating ulcer that he could bare most days, but could be triggered by the wrong meal at any time to spit lava up his throat and out his mouth.

What frustrated him most, perhaps, is how frequently he was judged. He was aware his anger was a problem. He had worked on it. He had made leaps, so he felt. Two years ago, that phone call with Cyrus would have accomplished absolutely nothing. This time, he was able to withhold that anger to come to some type of compromise. He didn't care nor did the thought ever hit him that it wasn't an authentic one. Instead, he relished in the fact he did it at all. These judgmental fucks may not have seen the value in that, but Adrian took some element of pride in it. That still not fully encompass his distaste for what he perceived as undue judgement. It was when instructors--or anyone really--treated him as if he was ignorant to it. As if he did nothing to overcome it.

To devalue all his hard work; that infuriated him.

Still, alone in that room while Reiko was delayed with another call... he had time to think. As justified as he felt in the prospect of leaving behind those self-righteous assholes he was given as mentors, it also meant leaving behind Zari and Jarvis. That was... that was a surprise. A surprise insofar that it made him feel terrible. Guilty. Selfish, even. To make friends so dear only to leave. Adrian was not without critical thinking. He could see how if he left due to his own rage, it might be perceived as... him not valuing his friends enough to tolerate Reiko and Az. How that could make them feel bad. Jarvis, he thought, might not care too much outwardly, but Jarvis was an incredibly deep thinker. He would mull it over, probably for the next decade, and if he was apathetic to it, Adrian was sure the Bloodsucker would at least in his boredom come to that conclusion. As for Zari, he felt he would more so be letting down his friend. Betraying him, even.

These thoughts did not occur to him in the heat of the moment. Admittedly, he didn't consider either of those two in the heat of the moment. His mind was entirely consumed with how Reiko seemed to blindly defend Sampson. He was so fixated on the flaws in their logic. Those two had power over everyone in this group, and those same minds drawing conclusions had already demonstrated incredibly faulty, one-sided logic. Az with that stupid bird and Reiko with her apparent inability to recognize and fault in her plan. These contradictions, these things that in his mind should disqualify them from leading anyone, they were at the forefront of his mind.

And, now in retrospect, that made him feel selfish. Not enough to dissipate his lingering anger, but enough to fuse together into an internal swamp of guilt and rage. This was the mindset he was in once the others started pouring in. Sage, Zari, Elly, Jarvis. It was tense. He wasn't sure if every talk went the same way. Surely not, Cyrus was livid just from one call. But, did he set an odd precedent? Or, worse, create some situation that needed diffused? The weapon was surely stumped. But, he was also impatient and the silence was getting at him, like a pebble in a shoe that had lasted hours too long.

"Well, that was eventful... not sure if you all are aware, but Cyrus talks to the mentors as if they're us," Adrian commented, just announcing broadly to the group.

"Oh, and the thing no one tells you about these collars, the place where the needle pricks you fucking stings. It ain't like a flu shot," he added, throwing in a slightly more off-topic fact about his experience. Had one never experienced the action of the collar, knowing the injection site did in fact sting a fair bit after wouldn't have been common knowledge. Until now, it never had actually even been used on Adrian.

ichinose-shiki-love-live-brown-hair-blue-eyes-long-hair-masterpiece-best-s-396022410portrait.jpg

Eloise Keegan - Rieko's Teahous
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As Elly returned to the main service area of the building and sat down, she turned her focus to her tea whilst peeking in on those who went after her. Of course, she couldn't see through walls nor hear from long distances, but she could get a sort of "mood". She didn't expect any to take as long or be as interesting as when Adrian was in there, but information was information. Humming idly with her eyes shut, the woman almost seemed to simply be enjoying the atmosphere.

Sage was first after and, while a bit longer than her meeting, it was uneventful spirit-wise. Nothing out of the ordinary, no extreme stress or anger or hostility, not that she expected it from him. Her weapon was relatively relaxed and personable. Certainly he wouldn't place himself at odds with the mentors.

"All's well?" Elly questioned briefly as he made his way out.

Then went Zari. Again, nothing all that irregular. His soul seemed to fidget and twitch slightly, so perhaps he was a bit nervous. She wondered if he was worried about being critiqued, or was simply overtly aware of Rieko. Perhaps he was just averse to such meetings in and of themselves. He did seem to be one of the more quiet of the group.

After Zari was Jarvis. A longer meeting, like Sage's and Adrian's, however nothing as intriguing as the latter for a snoop such as Elly. His soul seemed to deflate a bit, but it was hard to pick out given he was always relatively deflated. Criticism, was it? Or something else entirely?

Her eyes then opened at the sudden speech, glancing over to the owner of it. Though Adrian had left the room and wasn't as blindly angry as before, he was hardly what Elly would call a stable position. His soul slowly wavered, from a sparking flame to an anxious sputtering. Nervous? Guilty? She didn't need Soul Perception of any kind to deduce stressed. It was written all over his face.

This was a good opportunity to build bridges.

"Mm? In what way?" Elly inquired in turn about Cyrus. All her knowledge about the man was second-hand, however he seemed to be rather terse and stoic. "Does it? I have to admit, I've not much experience with those collars, but I know they're supposed to knock you on your arse. How're you feeling?"

@Team Reaper

Last edited:
1667699340033.png
Maria Mayer - Dall Island

After she said what she needed, Rand was quick to move things on, telling them what samples to get, or rather Chanterelle, or so she planned to leave the task to, given she had her own... Though it was one she didn't want to do, nor could she explain to her mentor why it bothered her so. That would mean bringing up phantoms and memories that were fragments and filters, flashes and shadows. Still, it seemed she wasn't the only one with a mystery as instructor Rand asked for them all to gather round.

It seemed he had a third eye beneath the bandana. "What..." Pondering the logistical details of drilling through one's skull to attach a cloned eye, she also wondered who supplied the others, to what capacity and to what use. Something about it made her skin crawl in general. There was power within that eye.

As he went about his explanation, she found her mind wondering about the original eye, though now how he came to be known as the witch of a thousand spells, and why he was even effective as a witch. She had no plans to take the eye, but he had taken a great risk in trusting them all. Though the eye would likely be useless to any of them. Still, people would kill over such a relic. More so those weak in magic. Running her hand under her nose and across her eye as she was given when seemingly deranged, Maria listens to his words for her of note.

He did not understand, not at all. She disproved of using organics because when did one stop and draw the line, what other parts of the body and form could she justify the use of then? Course there was he argument that all matter on this world, well a chunk of it was carbon based. It was still a slippery slope that reminded her of things that were both acceptable and revolting. Running her thumb back to her mouth, she bites on it some more, as suddenly a dark smile crosses her face and the tint of them seemed to change, the pull was called, mana spiked, yet it seemed to clear as suddenly as it came. She only half listened to what else Rand had to say.

The solution was so simple, she needed to make use of the material on his command, but she would not. Or rather she would. Once he finished saying his peace Maria made use of the suggestions he had given, "Ah! Pardon! Before you take away Chanterelle's full attention, I would like to request her help once you two are done! It's very important least you want my two hours to become three. Eheheh! I um, want you to use your fungus pinpoint if you can break down what crab bits I bring into marble sized pieces, they don't have to be round. If you would kindly, but if you can't I can shave them off myself. I'll also find useful things for you for the gathering specimens."

With that said she then went over to Raph and Ark, to speak to them both. "And Ah for both of you, I simply must have your help or this can't happen at all, I'll return the favor later or help you with something, but ah, yes." Pausing a bit she looked at Ark and pulled out a scrap of paper and drew a diagram, which was a two-part box with a few slits in the middle and top connecting the two chambers, roughly it was four feet wide, three feet tall and four feet deep, box as well as a single stone slab that stood up three feet tall and was a 2x2 square. "Out of your hardest rock if you will kindly, please."

Then she looked at Raph and tapped her fingers. "Once it has been built, I plan to feed lumber from the crates into the bottom. I need you to make the bottom as hot as you possibly can, I want to turn the wood straight on into charcoal and make a super-heated fire that can last at least two hours. I must have it able to turn metal blazing red. If you would kindly." It seemed she had mind to make a temporary forge, whatever she had in mind would have to remain to be seen, as she started pulling tools out of her pouches.

Merciless Medic Merciless Medic The Regal Rper The Regal Rper Meredith Meredith Sir Les Paul Sir Les Paul

................Collabd with RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun ......................

And finally one remained. There was no need to shout next, just a simple, “Ashi, you are last!” As Jarvis left the room, The Miko tumbled her teacup gently in her hand making the liquid slosh around deep within as she gazed at it and then the door, waiting for the final member of Team Reaper.

As such it wouldn't take long for the Egyptian woman to enter formally offering a respective tilt of a bow to Reiko, and not taking a seat clearly waiting for it to be offered as was the custom of her time period. She kept a simple smile in place not coming off hostile, nor concerned just a humble appearance waiting for words before a decision of composure would be settled on.

"Mushid," she respectfully addressed the one in front of her in her native tongue. Standing real in a formal military stance she awaited for Reiko to speak next.

“I’m sorry, what?” She says, narrowing her eyes before tapping her chin with the back knuckles of her right hand, the cup being held from the top before she sits it down. “There are only two languages I know.”

"Oh…my… My apologies," Ashi actually had a look of confusion herself and was clearly surprised Reiko didn't understand what she had said, even going so far as to give a genuine look of surprise with a bit of an open mouth. Catching herself in the act she reeled back in mimicking a sigh as she expressed an explanation. Ashi's military stance stifled a little at the moment as she regained her bearings.

"Back in my… time, most deathscythe knew a little of language from each nation unioned with the DWMA," well that had been embarrassing, to say the least, placing her own mentor in a moment of expectation. While she had accepted the reality, still stringing old from new was always going to be a problem here and there. Recollecting her approach she went for a more lax response.

"It simply means mentor in Arabic sorry I placed a… unnecessary hopefulness to speak my native tongue," Ashi apologized.

“Ah, I see, there are some that try and learn a bit here and there, but that’s mostly the work of the Meisters. Though don’t be ashamed, I would like to learn more about it. And my time of service was a bit different than your age. The hunt was well underway and we worked in teams. Normally one or two people would act as translators, but then there was the outbreak. Given these, all of my time was spent in North America and Japan.” Rieko says in explanation.

“I focused more on physical rather than educational matters I must admit. Though with rare exceptions the Meister is the face of a pairing during much of my time. Though one partner I had was well versed in several languages, but not all of them. Minus a couple of outliers, the DWMA’s reach is now global. That would be dozens if not hundreds of languages. I would respect anyone capable of that. I will admit English comes to me naturally now, I’ve spent more time here than in Japan at this point. But ah, we normally select a team member or two to act as a translator, who knows, maybe you’ll get to go to Egypt sooner than later.”

"Heh, it was originally the work of the weapons to keep their meisters in line and out of trouble in my time. Seems the roles have reversed," Ashi smiled in humor imagining Reiko trying to learn Arabic just as silly as it was for her to learn English. She was curious about Japan remembering stories of the mysterious land in her homeland told by travelers. From what she heard or was a very noble country full of amazing stories of history and battles.

"If you like I can help teach you minor stuff. In my time the hunt was nonstop, and we rarely knew what came our way. We were lucky to have teams work together rather than be scattered around upon attacks," Ashi mulled remembering quite a few sleepless nights. A small fidget from memories of some of the worst ones was notable on the tip of her smile. She listened to Reiko's words carefully, not interrupting her at any time.

"Yes the world seems so much more connected now you can travel around the world in days now, and can communicate with anyone anywhere through a "phone"," Ashi spoke remembering how it took her nearly a few years to come to terms with technology, and what it did.

“We shall see, though, the hunt in your time? And hmm I would say they mostly reversed with some generations prior to me. All of the new-aged legends were structured around the Meister with the weapon being just that. Well, minus what few ended up with relationships, being married to the work never sat well with me.” She wondered what that was about given how long ago that was from today. Still... Was she waiting for permission to sit?

“Ah, but by all means, have a seat, this should not take long. Though, would you care for some tea or have questions of your own for me?” The mentor says in response.

“Ah yes, very heavy in my land of Egypt monsters were… evolving on top of still discovered new ones, and witches well… we have quite the “plague” from all sides. Not many slept well most nights. Our branch was rel…entlessly active in a pursuit that a more nonstop approach was necessary,” Ashi explained, having to stop here and there as she jumbled in her head which words to use. Reiko’s expo made Ashi smile a little into a small laugh as she nodded in acknowledgment of being allowed to sit by her higher-up.

“Wait, the DWMA allows partners to be in relationships now? Huh… that was a big no-no back then,” Ashi expressed a bit surprised though maybe not that many pushed for it to be allowed back then as well.

“As you wish. My only question is what now?"

“I wouldn’t say it’s encouraged, nor is it stopped. Though it is less common than not.” She says the noted interest in the relationship aspect as she processes the story from before. “Hmm.. Ah, back then, the more things change, the more they stay the same in others.”

“As to what now, that is up to you, but very well. I have three questions for you, and maybe a fourth, unlike the rest. These are the three I asked everyone. What do you want from the Program? What do you think of your team? And lastly, what do you wish for yourself?”

And with that she picks up her cup and takes a sip of Tea, sitting it down she asks the fourth question. “And lastly why is it that you still wish to fight? This I ask for myself rather than a record. I have pondered retiring soon, but I cannot take such lightly with one that has crossed time distant and far.”

"Fair enough," Ashi nodded to Reiko's answer as she listened intently to what the deathscythe had to ask. She placed her hands on the desk mulling the questions over before finally looking back at her mentor dead in the eye.

"I want to see how things are handled in this day in age to experience this union of humans, monsters, and witches. So that I myself can let go of old grudges and move on," she answered full-heartedly in earnest, adjusting the full-sleeve glove on her left hand and tapping it down to look like a full-in-piece arm as she returned to answer the second question.

"Sage has eyes of a very particular type of hunter, the one that feeds off the very sight of red drops I imagine. Yet I believe he has himself under control just a bit of an oddball from first impressions. Elly seems charming… maybe a little too much, but she came to our aid after finishing her own task so as a teammate I trust her well off that first experience," Ashi assessed now turning her thoughts to Zari, and Jarvis for a moment touching a fiber to get lips as she collected her minor experience with the two.

"Zari keeps to himself it seems so it might be a while before I can really form an opinion on him, but I will attempt it's good to know one's team after all. As for Jarvis He likes the best animal in the world, keeps to the point, and has concern for his teammates while coming off a little lazy I do trust him at this point," Ashi expressed knowing he was an undead much like herself gave her a little more room to work with on her own goal. Yet clearly there was one more person to talk about.

"You can only surmise so much from a scrip…sure?" she paused for a moment recollecting her words to use mimicking another sign before continuing.

"I know pain when I see it. I thought letting him do it his way was a solid call… I was wrong. He's brash, has to be right, and most important to note he's been neglected like an abandoned scared dog," Ashi paused on that clear relegation something from her own past to current thoughts.

"He is cornered and clearly feels the only option left is to lash out in every way possible. That's what I assess currently might even be jumping the… what's that weird metal thing that shoots the metal ball… ah yes the gun," Ashi answered reeling in the word she was straining for.

"He needs a hand to pull him back up, and I wager getting him to take mine will be a bit of a battle," the zombie expressed clearly she had experienced someone like Adrian before a very long time ago whether it matched up was hard to say, but it was clear the zombie want about to abandon him any time soon.

"For myself, I just wish to have something I know going forward. Regain whatever bits of myself I can back," the seriousness of the room dimmed down though as a smile came back to her face at Reiko's last extra question watching the woman's cup of tea vibrantly move in meniscal waves closing her eyes for a moment as she mimicked a chuckle.

"Everything I had, and was is no more. Those I loved and hated? Gone in the wind of the sands of time barely remembered by old ink upon parchment," she spoke quietly as that ever-looming nightmare repeated in her head again. Yet there was no sadness in her eyes, just a burning ember still holding on.

"Yet while I may have nothing I still have much to give until my time catches up to me. I still walk the path of the protector no matter where or when I am. So until then I will be me, and I will fight till the bitter end," Ashi conveyed with ironclad confidence with an answer from her very soul burning bright too.

“Hmm.” Listening to her reply, Rieko nods. “I see. For what little it’s worth, it is good to hold onto some traditions and not to embrace all for being modern. Still, these answers will do. Perhaps you can get to know some of the others today. Was there anything else you needed before sending you back out?”

“I believe that is all,” Ashi confirmed getting up to leave, and rejoin the others.

“Hmm..” With that, the Mentor turns back to her phone and back to her tea, for now, she was content to let the team interact with one another rather than with her.

Last edited:
Jarvis Briseis
Rieko's Teahouse

1455e5ebe6699c55613e152aee93e35c4664b01b_00.jpg
Returning to his table at the teahouse, Jarvis slouched in the seat as his orders were being delivered. Slices of garnished raw meat on a plate. Two bowls of steaming noodle soup–one for himself and one for Zari. Sides of various pickled vegetables. Separating the pair of chopsticks, Jarvis worked through the food while each member of ‘Team Reaper’ either spoke to each other or stewed in their own thoughts. Frankly, Jarvis didn’t really have much problem with silence. He was used to it. His coffin was blissfully quiet as well.

Glancing up as Maiden announced his observations to the group, Jarvis slurped up his noodle and chewed while Eloise responded in her typical easy-going manner. He’d only met the girl that morning, so it wasn’t as if he knew much about her–nor did he see her fight because they’d chosen to do things separately–, but from what he’d seen, and her various attempts at injecting humor/keeping things light-hearted in a tense situation, not much seemed to trouble the meister. On the surface at least.

Humans were all sorts of complicated.

Jarvis swallowed before speaking. “Like how Zari feels after getting collared, I’d imagine.” First day at Lot C. And any other time the boy let madness take over his mind. Whenever Zari donned Jarvis in his weapon form, the blood-sucking demon gauntlet was able to assist in dealing with the fiery demon with his perfected 2nd seal, but it wasn’t like he could be worn 24/7. Unless Zari could deal with it himself, the issue would likely reoccur. Besides, separating the madness from the mind wasn’t the same as actually “dealing” with it.

Like how Jarvis negotiated with his inner beast…after Atli helped to beat it back of course; All of that prevented Jarvis from turning into the bloodsucking monster most of his brethren were despite the twisting and “desecration” of his soul. It let him co-exist peacefully with the innate “madness” that all his kind were born with–or, as Valerie liked to call it, the Vampire instinct.

Maiden didn’t have such craziness in his soul…as far as Jarvis was aware. For most type-A agents, the collar wasn’t even necessary. They weren’t insane because of some infection. They had mental health/behavioral issues that made them unfit for the field/working in a team. The autonomous weapon was put in FATE for disobeying orders and accidentally getting a comrade killed. Once. In the three weeks that they’d interacted, Jarvis hadn’t really seen Maiden display such behavioral issues. If he really had to put a label on Maiden’s personality, the iron-maiden tended towards the emotional and impulsive side, but he was by no means illogical. Even now, while vocalizing his dissatisfaction with the mentors, he hadn’t really disobeyed orders and expressed his thoughts reasonably enough, if not somewhat aggressively.

Yet, if Maiden’s inhibitor collar had been activated, he’d clearly done something to make those with remote access to the device question his mental state or the safety of the student(s) he’d been fighting.

“Guess there are ranks even among Deathscythes…” Jarvis shrugged, prodding the congealed ox-blood in his bowl with the chopsticks. “Or Cyrus just talks to everyone the same. He’s the director of this new program, after all. He can talk how he wants.”

Heck, Midori, who graduated from a similar-esque program, who was a two-star like Nadia, was a mentor. The dynamic between their mentors and the program director didn’t really matter to Jarvis. Nor was he the type to prod at a hornets’ nest. What’s done is done. Maiden couldn’t be entirely blamed for the outcome of their Lake Tahoe game either. However, he couldn’t deny he was curious what “going too far” meant. Everyone seemed to want to keep it vague, but Jarvis found that sort of beating around the bush tiresome. Only Maiden knew what went on in his mind during the “event” after all. “...so…what did you do?”

Prizzy Kriyze Prizzy Kriyze RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun Sir Les Paul Sir Les Paul Serei2477 Serei2477 Azurian Dream Azurian Dream EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen

Chanterelle Fuir
On the Beach, interactions Maria RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun , short collab with Rand Sir Les Paul Sir Les Paul ; Mentions: Ark The Regal Rper The Regal Rper and Raph Merciless Medic Merciless Medic .

She knew that Maria was upset. It was subtle and yet still obvious; a struggle instead of a free expression of either the Pull or her thoughts about it. Rand answered her question. The forest witch bottled a few small strips of chitin off its side, a half-dozen strips of crab flesh. His explanation continued. The uncovering of the eye made her viscerally uncomfortable; it was as if it was something she should not have observed. She lowered her head to scrutinize the corpse as she listened. It was easier to look at, now, at least comparatively. The witch understood the point. He wanted to garner trust with the promise of superior perception. She could forgive it, even if she disregarded much of his secondary meaning.

Their instructions were clear. The forest witch was familiar with the feeling of working under pressure; she was willing to abandon tasks that ended up too lengthly for self-preservation in the field but did not want to see this drag on so long. Maria interjected, though, before she could defend herself from his accusation. Her head tilted to listen to her request. With a nod, Chanterelle balled her hand, working on pulling an experimental piece off of the side of the crab. She showed it to Maria, raising it in her hand in a way that asked ‘like this?’, and moving on to the next large objective when that was confirmed. The rest of the group had begun to scatter according to the dollmaker’s instructions.

As Chanterelle’s hands eased into another seam of the crab, rolling under its shell’s plating and intending to pop it off as well, the witch met her mentor’s critical eyes and offered him an acquiescent smile. It did not serve to deceive her earlier intention, but perhaps instead to easy his wary spirits. “Of course I was aware. The Pull is something we hold in reserve; it is a tool to be used when fatigue or fear might prevent one from fulfilling their intention. I understand why you might be concerned – but then, I say, I ran quite aways laden with no time to rest and so perhaps even my fortitude was lacking. Would you not ride the wave, through the last of a half-hour of such action?” Her voice was soft, intended only for him, though Maria was still close enough to hear.

Rand listened to her words. Intently. This was a pivotal moment in expressing what might be, and happened to be, clashing opinions. The Witch Realm and in fact entire DWMA was against weaponizing the Pull. A practice not seemingly supported by her upbringing. How he responded to this, he felt, would be incredibly important. More than anything, it would require a tailored response with as little friction as possible. "I understand the allure of the Pull... all Witches do. And, I am in fact a Witch, not a Sorcerer. When we return home, I would like to discuss this at length, but to keep it brief, the neither the Guild or DWMA endorse the use of the Pull at all. It is akin to Madness and can lead to it; and, Madness is perceived as the greatest enemy to all," Rand explained to her, both trying to push the topic to another time but give her the insight needed as to why there was resistance to her utilization of it.

The smile disappeared as he spoke. She clearly listened; there was a frozen pause, and finally, a nod. Heat prickled in her cheeks. This was one of those things, she reasoned, that her cultural advisor had taken as a given – or instead a teachable moment that they had for some reason dedicated to him. A surge of indignation at the idea her shame might have been manufactured threatened the same sort of Pull she had felt in combat. This, she shoved down, as she would in any social interaction. A secondary feeling that could only be quelled with effort.

“I understand,” she said instead, automatically, almost robotic in her unwillingness to challenge this view here, “we will speak privately. I will do my best until then.” Her gaze lowered, searching over the corpse. She needed no visual information to finish prying the sheet of chitin off its back. Rand noted her change in demeanor, but did not wish to push the topic further. He was aware of how volatile this could be. He too suffered from many culture shocks when he first entered the DWMA, and he could only imagine this was exactly that for her. "Chanterelle, you are an incredibly talented and powerful Witch. You are a valued member of this team. I want you to understand that, even if it seems in question right now," he explained, not interrupting her actions, but nearing her enough so that he could hush his voice with what he told her.

His praise was harder to accept than any derision. As the chitin came up from the body, she turned it over; the smell was horrific as the body’s decaying form was revealed but it did not seem to bother her in the slightest as she melted the last of the flesh from its shell. “I know,” she responded, frustration behind the words, but she bit back the driving anger with a definitive “thank you.” It was a hard thing to know, even if she was getting along with Maria now, and even if things were otherwise going well. In times of conflict, Chanterelle often disappeared. It was an indulgent habit unable to be fulfilled here. In a way, she was unused to undue kindness and did not want it, but her voice was less harsh when she spoke again. Smooth. “I appreciate your concern.”
Her hands sought the edge of the crab’s shell, melting off small roundish shapes onto the ground, working them into a small pile of resources for Maria to use.
Do Not Touch!

Adrian Hackney

"The Maiden"

Species Human
Partner None
Rank Fate Agent

Mission Mission recap
Status Slightly salty, slightly relieved

Both Elly and Jarvis seemed fairly quick to respond to his comment. There seemed to be some amount of pay-off in trying to break the silence that had hung in the air since the room had populated. He wasn't sure how Zari felt about the new faces; socializing with people outside of his normal group. Zari didn't strike him as much of an outwardly social individual until one got to know him. That said, it was a surprise Jarvis chimed in as he did. Perhaps the wisdom of his misleading age had him in the same mind that saying something, at least for the sake of team-building, was better than sitting in silence. Or, perhaps it was just his natural curiosity.

Either way, Ashi was joining the group, and with that the interviews were over. Not sure what Reiko had in store for them now, but Adrian wasn't about to let what little momentum he started just die down. Doing so, if anything, would probably just cost him the only distraction he had from those unwanted feelings he was processing earlier, and reflecting on the things that infuriated him. So, if it didn't seem anyone else was going to speak, he would.

First, Elly. He was closer to Jarvis, sure, but Elly spoke first. It was only polite. That was his rationalization, anyway. He doubted Jarvis cared what order they were answered in as long as his curiosity was satiated. He knew much less about Elly, so this was definitely his safer route. "A little muddy in the head, but not as out of it as I was. My balance is back. I could probably transform if I wanted, but I might have issues doing anything fancy," he answered, primarily aiming at her most direct question of how he was doing. "So yeah, unless it happens to be your thing or for fashion, wouldn't suggest one of these little bastards. I was out in what felt like a second flat," he added, chiming in with his distaste of the collars in general.

While he made some level of eye contact with Elly for his answer, he tried to keep it a little more open for everyone. Once it came to Jarvis, well: he knew him. Spent weeks with him. He was closer. Those blue eyes of his made a more serious lock with those of his undead friend. A little twitch under his left eye and the faintest of a snarl curled up on his face before he started this explanation. "So, I was pit up against another autonomous weapon. Not actually sure what the fuck he was. He was pretty defensive and shot out ice that hurt like Hell. I ended up getting him to agree to a fight without our partial transformations. We had a bit of a back and forth before I caught him in a leg lock. He tried to do the same thing to me earlier, but I had spikes then. I was really just using his own move against him, I guess. Same idea as when I fought Zari; learn from your opponent if they're better. And, he was pretty damn good. Anyway... I had him in a real damn good lock, the kind you'd break a leg over. Fucker didn't tap out, so I was gonna break his ankle," Adrian outlined to Jarvis, trying to give some context as to the fight. He was hardly as aggressive or demeaning as one might expect; even complimented his opponent. Perhaps all diluted by the fact he just outright claimed he was going to break the bones of another agent, but if anything, it proved his honesty.

"Apparently, iceman has too much work to do for that. Again, he wouldn't tap out. Not sure if he had instructions via comms or was just being stubborn, but someone decided the best course of action was to activate the collar so he wasn't out of commission," Adrian told them, wrapping up his exposition with the actual frustration he had over the issue. Here, he was a little more heated. In fact, his word choice and tone made it clear he blamed his opponent more than himself for anyone skilled at picking up social cues.

Then another frustrating fact struck him. Something he hadn't considered until now, but was part of the instructions they were all given. "Ah fuck... and I gotta this thing serviced ASAP. The labs are gonna wanna top it off with anti-fun juice and make sure it works fine. Wonder if I can request a smaller Death-damn needle..." he added, this time at least more openly venting a frustration and generally being a smartass.

Last edited:

Embers Remain...

Death was such a fickle thing once disturbed. Like an infant fighting sleep once awoken, it would not return to its slumber so easily.

The battlefield had scattered piles of blackened bones, some broken and twisted, some little more than jagged splinters so thoroughly destroyed that no mortal hand could piece them back together. Yet, even in this form, they still had life. And, with life, came surprises. Through the miasma that was the scorched, smoldering air, remnants of the skeletal remains drug themselves back to the Hellmouth they emerged from. Met there by a few of their kin also too damaged to join in the first waves. These foes were once corpses, some ravaged more harshly by time; some simply having lived a harder life before meeting their end. Still, decrepit and in pieces unrecognizable from the human form, they were useful to their master.

Beguiling in nature, whatever arcane energy ran through these fiends was both a boon and a curse. Those bodies destroyed by targeting and disrupting that energy laid still. Those that were destroyed in ignorance of it, however, were still puppets of destruction. Pulled in by their strings to be reused and reanimated to create a foe unlike any those in the field had ever fought before. Equally concerning, the grotesque and disturbing lengths this force would muster to continue fighting. Whether it was true coordination or some unnatural force of will to continue going at all costs, it was arguably the ultimate desecration of the bodies being used as weapons.

It pulled itself from the darkened entrance of the catacombs. It had to as it was yet to truly be fully formed. The skeletal remains that had made their way to their brethren weaving into its form as it exited, taking shape as mounds of broken bones, skulls patterned throughout, almost a fluid until the moment of emergence and formation proving that this pile of human parts was a lumbering brute. Over ten foot tall of parts held together as if metal by magnets, with more of that arcane energy surging through it than any of the skeletons had prior. It emanated an aura of death and desolation. It made a point that these demons of the depths needed to be destroyed properly, else they would return in a form more terrifying than anything they could have anticipated.

1e15bljga_Bone_Abomination.jpg
Anathema. A hulking abomination of bones and decayed flesh given new life through whatever force animated these creatures. It did not burn like the others. In fact, the little flesh that held it together seemed to pulse with an odd life unlike any magic that had ever been seen prior. Necromancy was forbidden, but not unheard of this; this was not that. This was even more unnatural. This Anathema of Bones had power worth a hundred or more of those original skeletons with core in it that burned bright like the sun, pushing this animating force through it. With the others, it merely radiated out, barely alive despite their uncanny strength.

The movements of this creature were also different. Fragments of bone and flesh slopped over it as if crawling, finding nooks and crannies to fill that seemed to change with every step. It's humanoid structure solid and strong with enough weight to thump the ground each time it stepped, yet the bits and pieces along its outer most layer moving as if it a living layer of skin. It walked smoother than the skeletons. It did not jerk or halt, it did not stutter or slow. Despite its appearance, it was the most human they had seen yet. A disturbing reality for any trying to draw some clear line between these creatures and the people they once were.

And still now, skeletons thought vanquished were pulled to it like a black hole. Those truly silenced with the destruction of their core did not heed this call, but any part no matter how small or feeble defied the laws of nature to return to its new home. It was hardly slow, and its size allowed it to traverse no small amount of ground with each step, but it was still a fair distance away from its actual, living adversaries. Closing that gap, it was now recognizable. Grotesque. Asymmetrical two arms on a side and a curved, uneven back comprised of entire cages of ribs. Top-heavy in nature as if layered to protect the furnace that seemed to fuel its existence. Now, unhinging a makeshift jaw of shoulder plates below a central skull, released a mighty and unnatural roar. The air shook so much that the debris within it created waves as if ripples of water. The sound it made was unlike the sound of any animal, instead guttural and unshapen, as if it knew not which organ was even used to make sound.

No report mentioned this. No man had ever seen it. And, for now, that meant no man had ever survived it, either...

Prizzy Kriyze Prizzy Kriyze RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen Merciless Medic Merciless Medic Mook-LandStrider Mook-LandStrider

Ark | DWMA | Dall Island | Rings: 0/3

He'd been about to move over to both Chant and Maria to examine the remains of the creature they had downed. As Rand and Maria continued their discussion- he paused as the smell hit him also. Nose wrinkling but overall able to ignore it.

Dead bodies had a stench that lingered more than anything and he was used to the horrible smells that could come from ruptured gutters that lined some of the streets he'd moved about in during open city brawls between Outlaws and mercenary supporters.

Overall he didn't immediately realize that it was Maria's Pull acting up so when she went into detail over why she'd rather not do as she'd been asked- he simply mistook it as a conflict in her artistic viewpoint- at least not till it dawned on him that Rand's request and Maria's own response were just a key example of how different Pulls reacted in different ways. Much like Raphael's pride due to his Madness could be triggered over the smallest even the most innocuous offense- Pulls were very much the same. It was something he hadn't ever really thought much about, a brief realization that ended as Rand called them all to gather together.

Seeing the eye was a...surreal experience. Not out of disbelief, the legendary Free had long since disproved that as being only a myth.

It was surreal in the sense that looking at it, Ark could not help but wonder what great pains Rand had to go through for the alterations to his skull to facilitate the insertion of this organ. He'd always wondered what exactly Rand had that gave him the boost to be a capable mage. Male Witches didn't compare to females- that was a fact. They just didn't- it was an odd biological thing that fed into the matriarchy of the Wiccan world and gave the en-masse female population the social superiority. Whatever that band was, it'd clearly been designed to hide the signature of the eye because right now with it off, he could feel the differences as well as he could feel the rays of the sun.

There was Rand's magic, and the eye's. It was...strange, bizarre to experience- especially with the gem on his forehead heightening and giving him the ability to focus his senses, he could not help but focus on the way the magic in the eye merged with Rand's but still somehow, someway, maintained it's own unique signature that meshed perfectly- like a bond of some sort- to his.

It was...strange on so many levels--

--yet his mind could not help but wonder what more he could learn if he held such an eye.

His mind wandered to the possibility of other ancient unique artifacts out there that he could discover that might further enhance his power and give him the ability to test his magic even further- to find and discover new things and experiment with their limitations before they expired.

Were genetics truly unique when it came to magic to such an extent that even the Mabian eye would not respond properly to someone of distant or unrelated blood? Or could there be a way to bypass like breaking through the firewall that defended against viruses and harmful data that code infect a computer.

The thought was dismissed before he could begin asking Rand questions- he shifted to get a better look but stopped himself from getting any closer to Rand. The interest to study the eye more closely gnawing at the back of his mind- but a folly he would not make. It would be interrupting their mentor figure in this important moment. It was clear he wasn't doing this lightly, there was a purpose behind it- and Ark could not allow himself to allow theory and concept to ruin that level of trust or even worse- be so rude.

Still though, looking at it, unlike Chanterelle who seemed unable to continue staring at it- he had to wonder. Why up there?

Would it not have been easier to replace one of his own eyes instead? Much like how Free had when he removed his eye to replace it and merge with Maba's? As he knew- blood relatives of the Queen Witch were far more powerful in utilizing the eye than any other. It made sense now why Rand was so famous in the Witch realm- male witches, capable male witches- long extinct in the old legends of their kind, were a rarity in the modern era. For one like Rand to appear among the many defectives- like to some degree, him, Ark had to wonder what exactly Rand had went through to achieve the eye- and even further, what more he could do if the few things they'd witnessed him do with sound wasn't enough.

One did not get the nickname as being a capable spellcaster of over a thousand spells lightly- and now he knew why clearly. The fact it was made easier by the single fact he was a direct link of Maba, only a generation apart- was astounding.

And hearing Rand explain was even more astounding. He could not help but wonder now for certain, if there were other items in the world out there- hidden, protected by security mechanisms created by Eibon and the Great Death Lord to prevent trespassers from getting their hands on it. To be able to see magic so clearly. His sense of magic had always been high but to hear Rand outline how he could detect the very magic in Chanterelle's own body to even being able to trace the very mana lines back to Maria herself from how his own magic affected reality and the environment around him-- Ark listened, raptly. He was ensnared and his own Pull was taking effect. He wondered now if there were ways to enhance his own gem- to further his senses, increase his capability without overwhelming himself like he did when he expanded his range to its max limit of kilometers.

If there was one thing his gem could not do, it was grant him omniscience, awareness of everything above or not in contact with the ground. Against someone like Rand his sensory skills were useless unless powerful magic was being used or unless he was nearby to where it hardly mattered since his eyes could do the remaining work- but if he could feel, detect, sense and perceive the very magic and force within other beings like Rand's third eye could...

Ark nodded. He had to make a note of this for the future. If he could empower his gem, who knew what else he could do. But first he needed to get a hold of his understanding of magic circles.

When his name was mentioned he snapped back to what was being said. Zoned out, he'd heard only half of it- knowing Rand had been addressing Maria as to why he'd made his suggestion at all. He nodded to Maria with a small smile, as if in agreement about whatever had just been said. He believed it had something to do with helping her in her creation process? That would be easy. He gave her a thumbs up in approval.

Then Rand turned to them, something he hadn't been expecting.

It was slightly disappointing to say the least there were no greater Magic Circle spells, or perhaps there may have been and it had yet to be discovered? Layering was possible so he wondered if that would allow him some way of levelling up his gem as well. In either case, Rand was right- he put the thoughts and plans he had for his gem to later, and moving back towards base, despite overhearing Rand's brief addressment to Chanterelle- he turned to Maria as she addressed them.

Looking at the diagram he nodded.

He took a few steps away from the two and then with his hands turned up breathed in, exhaled and sent a pulse of magic through the land. Minerals- different kinds outlined themself before him. He focused on one in particular and then with a flick of his wrists up, the sand shifted into a collection of steatite which crushed together to form two adjacent walls of soapstone. He clenched his fists and the stone rose up, stomped and from the sand beneath it granite formed and a soapstone base covered it.

Four feet deep, three feet tall- Ark built the diagram to Maria's specific requests. Coalescing and forming stone, slicing and sculpting it to her exact desires. It took him about fifteen minutes in total from needing to find the right minerals to form the correct stone she required that was sturdy and fit her needs- before he finally relented with his work at the living model of her diagram.

Shaking his hands Ark squinted at his work. "Mmm, not bad" he thought- but then again when viewed by an artist it could have been a different interpretation.

"Let's start making that coal, shall we?"

Mentions:

Interactions:: Merciless Medic Merciless Medic Sir Les Paul Sir Les Paul RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun Meredith Meredith

unknown.png

GIANE LEONE
Interacting: Team Praetorian
Partner: Miroku
Shirt of the day:
Here
Tags: simj26 simj26 Prizzy Kriyze Prizzy Kriyze Sir Les Paul Sir Les Paul

________________________________________________________________________________

There she stood, arms crossed and a booted foot tapping against the ground of the dojo with no end in sight. Her patience with their strict-yet-somehow-laid-back-at-the-same-time instructor was wearing dangerously thin. Not to mention, she had only recently found out that her recently formed partnership was a no-go. Now, she’d have to deal with that one girl who looked like she’d never had a proper conversation with another human being in her life. Her fists tightened from under her crossed arms, orange eyes scanning the area over and over again while she waited for things to move on.

Then, her eyes landed on her new partner. Miroku, was it? Their partnership hadn’t exactly started the same way as her previous one, so there was no time for picnics and confectionaries and getting to know each other. As her orbs examined the young woman up and down, a smirk slowly grew on her face. As long as she was willing to behave herself and obey, they’d make a fine team.

Yeah, I got something real interesting,” She spoke up after Starwulf’s sentence ended, raising her hand while she spoke to place emphasis on how unserious she was being. “How about you get on your knees and thank us for staying? Since, y’know, your last little training session cost you, like, four people.

While it was ill-mannered, uncouth, and brazen, Gia’s statement wasn’t necessarily wrong. She wasn’t sure if the whole fight-the-teacher-or-suffer stunt was the route cause of it, but her classmate count had dropped like the stock market not too long after it. A boastful grin had replaced her sly smirk from earlier, and she leaned forward to nudge her taller new partner with an elbow. “Am I right, Cotton-Top?

She blinked. Now that she was standing directly next to the girl, she really was taller. Like, way taller.

Why the hell was she always the shorter one in the partnership?

1668390388639.png1668390411566.png
Nadia Semyonov - Daniella Ethalyn- Paris, France - The Rail Line

As events unravel, it seemed the Grenades had mixed results joined in with the attacks of the others, a few of the beings still stood and beyond laid the burned man. The Ice grenades were not as impressive as she had been led to believe.

It was then some horrible abomination came and joined with whatever it could, a towering beast that gave off a strange roar as it plowed ahead at a steady pace. Nadia however stood her ground, gazing up at it, such a challenge was worthy of being conquered and smashed into a memory. It also gave off the stink of Magic, if faintly. Necromancy? A Curse? Golemancy?

It didn’t matter. Neither did the remaining smaller skeletons. Or the burned man. Were they even still around? Rolling her shoulders Nadia remains staring up, her personality being calm from the callous and intense training in regards to her emotions. Where in the hell were Zelda and Emmett anyways, shouldn’t this be something to send them forward? Maybe not. Still, as her soul pulsed out, there was something so fitting about what was before her, a part of her soul and blood wishing to wipe it out.

While mentally prepared to take on the big, shambling fucker, the Demon Sword was less prepared for this abomination. Her eyes widened in shock as it pulled itself together, however Nadia’s calm aided in keeping her own in check. Dani let out a terse breath as she amplified her own.

“That fucking thing we’ll definitely need to resonate for…” She stated.

Looking down at the blade, Nadia smiles a bit at Dani. “Not getting scared, I hope? Though you are correct, we have to strike down this abomination. Are we ready?”

Dani scowled back at her from the sheen. “I just don’t like lookin’ at its ugly-ass. Let’s do it.”

“Da, very well, Let’s…, hmm, yes, let us enjoy the sights of Paris when done, get good food.”

Holding her signal out to Dani, the two would go about resonating, they had little choice. “We kill, or re-kill that thing, break the stench of magic from it. Anything else is all on them. Let all three teams see who the better killer is, hah.” With that Nadia walked towards the best as well.

“Anything you want to say Dani?”

“Rip and tear.” And with that, the sword emitted a pristine glow. It wasn’t an imbalance fog surrounding the outer edges like at the tournament, but a true sheen that enveloped the length of the blade, similar to when transforming to and fro. The glow extended from the outer edges of the weapon, becoming solid and increasing the span of the sword beyond that of its base form.

With that Nadia opened the door to Resonance and dives directly at the beast, it was time to put into motion what they had learned, with a mighty swipe of the blade, she would aim to stagger the beast, aiming for its hip joints.

Or what would be such. She wanted to knock the beast off center before it could throw its weight into the fight. If it were allowed time and space to move, then they were all done for. The offensive was more than simple bravado as far as Nadia seen it.

It was a matter of survival; the juggernaut must be stopped here and now.

Merciless Medic Merciless Medic Sir Les Paul Sir Les Paul Prizzy Kriyze Prizzy Kriyze EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen Mook-LandStrider Mook-LandStrider

Last edited:
Adrasteia Chandrice

Adra made as little traveling on foot as she could, barely walking five paces from the vehicle when possible. This was a place that felt stuffy, confinement never sporting the trendy designs or comfort. The domed building seemed to not only be adept at keeping those inside, it gave of an aura. It breathed constriction, an aura that Adra found uncomfortable at best. Thankfully she was as good as she could have been coming here, her brain simply doing its best to block out the scrambling thoughts. No one was here for her.

No one is here to take me.

Her face kept slightly tense, keeping the appearance of being mildly annoyed. Thankfully, upon seeing the prisoner come out, her paranoia died down. An easy grab and trade seemingly. The guy didn’t even seem that bad, more like some scruffy lazy guy than a prisoner of a terrorist organization. This seemed to be promising to be easier by the minute…. Until her eyes noticed a change in Zosar. It wasn’t entirely apparent until they began to board, but something was stirring inside the meister. She had no abilities to read emotions, much less wave lengths. She was practically blind to all the sight blessing many peers, her eyes only seeing the Norma spectrum of light. All that, and yet she could still read the ex-terrorist in her buggy. Something was like a worm, eating him on the inside. As they engines roared and they went out of the facility, she found her nerves didn’t fully relax. Her body was expecting the meister to snap, her mind not bothering to watch. He would keep it under wraps, he was on a mission. Zosar just talked all big, he should be able to keep it together.

Her thoughts were derailed from those peaceful thoughts once he screamed, his body tensing up behind the wheel. Her eyes stayed looking forward, her mind racing to figure out what to say. How does one respond to cursing and then apologizing, all while clearly mentally perturbed?

Well maybe old Adrasteia would have worried about filtering her thoughts.

Alright jail bird, getting cold feet or got a fear of bound people? Because it’s been like 5 minutes since we got your old buddy and you are dying.” She didn’t bother to look over, propping her boots up on the dash out of boredom.

If the car crashes I’ll just transform.

coded by: @s e v e n

Interacts: The Regal Rper The Regal Rper
Mentions: Sir Les Paul Sir Les Paul

Raphael ValeriasChara2.png
March 28, 2067
Interactions: Rand, Maria, Chanterelle, Ark
Mentions: N/A
Sir Les Paul Sir Les Paul RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun Meredith Meredith The Regal Rper The Regal Rper

Wow, Chanterelle was really digging into that, wasn’t she?

Raphael couldn’t help but watch with some disgust curling the corner of his lip. Of course, he’s had this same expression before when she said to eat some moldy orange… Well, there was a lot more to it, but he still ate it. Just like how he couldn’t stop watching, everything in him was repulsed with what he was seeing but it was like watching the Discovery channel. Like watching an animal rip and tear apart a carcass for consumption, like that of a pack of wolves or a coyote tearing apart the insides of a deer. Especially the sounds that came with were very reminiscent of what a predator or an opportunistic bottom-feeder would make when eating.

Ew, wet tissue.

That disgusted curl became one of derision, but he immediately looked away. Something was edging at the recesses of his mind, as if watching his dear friend - his first friend since the being in Fate - acting like an animal made him feel like he was above her. Like she was beneath him for acting in that way and that he shouldn't allow such a thing in his admittedly paltry group of friends.

But if he were to try and make people change, he wouldn’t be a good friend, would he? Sighing, he spotted her gloves on the ground, waiting to see if she’ll pick them up. It was then that he noticed something was wrong with Maria.

Well, he hadn’t noticed Maria gag on the stench. It made his nose curl, but considering he’s gone dumpster diving with his friends for a favor, he was a bit used to it. Even if it was absolutely disgusting.

But there was something else to this.

It was something his father had mentioned before when explaining the different kinds of pulls that a sorcerer and witch could go through. The Pull of Creation led to great inventors and creators in their time, but it also led to the creation of more grotesque creators. Those who wouldn’t mind using body parts as they created. When would it stop? Would it stop at just what was needed here in the now or was she going to find a morgue and start making strings out of the sinews of the long deceased?

Maybe it wouldn’t be that bad, but he did worry a bit. Not that he worried for Maria, totally not. But because he was worried about how she was going to handle all this later and if it was going to affect him down the road. He watched her bite on her thumb, seemingly trying to calm herself down or ground herself, whichever one. She looked absolutely upset.

Finally, she began letting Rand know of the process of making such weapons and armor, and even agreed with Raphael - which always gave him a surge of pride that was enough to calm the madness that edged at the apparent abhorrent state they found themselves in - when it came to making simple armor and weapons for them all. Apparently, it was going to take only a few minutes.

However, being reminded how repugnant this place was and realized how they were using literal carcasses to wear and use… It made him queasy. This was unnatural, and every fiber of his being - whether it stemmed from his madness or his more privileged upbringing - left him wanting to disregard the weapons in favor of something else. What was that something else? It’s not like they could just leave.

There was no way off this island either, was there? At least, not without a boat.

He looked back at the ocean, confusion setting the furrow in his brow. Clicking his tongue to silence the errant thoughts in his head, he focused on what was going on, and that happened to be Rand showing them something.

Ew, that… Can’t look comfortable.

Rand had a third eye in the middle of his forehead. He even leaned to the side to see how badly it jutted out and he curled his lips in disgust. What was this body horror? Was this real? Was this an illusion?

No, no, it was real, and Rand explained further the significance of this eye.

But it made Rand’s face look so disgusting! Yeah, it had its perks, and he couldn’t deny that, but like hell he’s going to get an eye implanted into his forehead! Well, if he tried, it would kill him, and he wasn’t that much of an epistemophile to warrant experimenting with this.

Raphael waited until Rand got to the point, and the point was… He was better than them. Great. Cool. He looked off to the side, unamused. He already knew that, he didn’t need to make it a point. He was their superior, wasn’t he? It just felt like showing off and he sighed. Maybe it was to calm Maria down and help her and maybe the others in the group realize he knew what he was talking about, but it only made him more annoyed. While Rand said it wasn’t to boast but to trust in him more, Raphael gave him a pointed look before shaking his head.

Yeah, yeah. It wasn’t like he was going to take his word any less, he just didn’t appreciate the waste of time.

He moved on, speaking to Maria about the uses of chitin. If Rand didn’t say it right, he could potentially harm Maria’s future by saying ‘hey, you can use organic material’, which could set her on the path down a road none of them wanted. He didn’t know if what Rand said was anything like that, as he honestly wasn’t paying attention due to copping a bit of an attitude, but eh.

When he finally was spoken to, he looked a bit more alert. Rand explained Magic Circles, with Raph immediately taking out his grimoire to write a note about how it worked so he could understand. Control and knowledge. Well, he had both, he just needed to appropriately apply them in this instance. Concentration, yes. It could be changed after casting, that was good. When he spoke of a five-point pentagram, Raphael knew exactly what he was talking about as he’s seen them plenty of times in books, and copied the symbol down on his grimoire, then added the dimensions of what it should be, and the runes that’s to confine and enhance one of Ark’s spells. That didn’t sound so difficult on paper, but Raphael was starting to see the intricacies of such a spell.

No wonder he had a hard time last time. Plus, the first Magic Circle he made was too large. He’ll follow his instructions to the tee, he didn’t want to mess it up like his very first attempt some odd years ago.

Rand gave them a set amount of time and a frame to base their plans around. Then Rand spoke to Chanterelle about the Pull. It wasn’t his conversation, but it made him a bit annoyed. Maria’s giggling caught Raphael off guard and he stared with a wide-eyed, wary expression. Uhm, was she nervous? Was she being affected? Was she irritated? He decided to hold off on the Magic Circle for a moment. He needed to make sure she wasn’t falling. She came to him and Ark anyway, and when she spoke of favors, a smile lit up Raphael’s face. Ahh, she was speaking his language.

She asked Ark to make a furnace, and she asked Raphael to make it as hot as possible. He grinned wide, giving her a thumbs up. “Sure thing, puppeteer.”

He paid some attention to what was happening between Chanterelle and Rand. They were apparently sharing cultural differences, trying to understand the pull and what was acceptable. Raphael had used his Pull mostly to keep him going, his Madness affixed to it to keep him ironically sane. He only realized after the tournament that it was all a horrible idea.

Ark had already made the furnace for Maria, so Raph held onto both ends of his chain and pulled, as if it were a magic trick as the chain lengthened. He coiled the chain on the bottom of the furnace, then chanted a little spell for his fire. He didn’t want to use up too much of his mana, but he needed to keep this hot and burning. While he waited for Maria’s dolls to throw in any logs, he looked back at her, the Demon Tool end of his chain being the only dark grey chains that kept his hand from being burnt off. The furnace’s port had heat waves that distorted the air rising up and it around his face, making him feel hot and flushed.

“So, Maria. I think I kinda know what you were going through back there. Just think of this shell like rock or wood, okay? Like how the wood is the shell of your dolls, this chitin is the shell of the crab. The flesh underneath is what you shouldn’t be using, so don’t worry about that, we’ll be cleaning it of meat. The chitin is a sort of armor, not attached to the crab in any way, so it’s easier to separate it from going down that path. It’s only going to be for the few days we’re staying here, so you can scrub your memory of using chitin like this. Did you know crabs shed their shells? Anyway, if you have any problems, let me know, okay? My father has the Pull of Creation too, and he told me what it was like. If you need me to vent, I’m all ears.”

Azariah Vasher Toothbrush.jpgAzariah "Zari" Vasher

Only when Jarvis passed him to go speak with Rieko did Zari meet anyone's eyes. The new faces, tensions, and disarray in leadership kept him on edge, so in an attempt to shrink away from the outside chaos he donned his glasses and buried himself in his phone as soon as his behind found the zabuton by Jarvis' table. His entire body language signaled how he closed himself off from the surrounding world, as he even subdued his sensitive hearing to spare himself the details of every conversation in the building. Absently he scrolled through the pages of his communicator, vainly attempting to distract himself; but it wasn't long before his arm limply leaned against the side of the table and his eyes stared into nothing. Before the DWMA he seldom had a lot of autonomic thought, but as his humanity was piece by piece restored by the professionals and friends he'd met in this time, he found that getting lost in thought was becoming more and more commonplace.

His ears only began listening when Jarvis was returning and Adrian began speaking up. The return of his friend reminded him of his manners and gave him the clarity of mind to finally notice the steaming bowl of noodles before him, and slowly he reached out to break apart his chopsticks - but only proceeded to absentmindedly stir his food around while listening to the conversation around him and briefly touch at the collar on his neck when Jarvis spoke of it. Most of the new additions to the team were keeping quiet as well, with the exception of Elly, who still was sparse with words.

The broth coating his noodles glistened as it circled the bowl, guided aimlessly by his chopsticks, as Zari listened to Adrian explain how his part of the mission had gone. Though he seemed apathetic on the outside, his soul briefly flickered with fear as the story went on. Fear that despite being reprimanded, Adrian rejected to reflect on what had gone wrong. Fear that despite wishing to remain in the DWMA to the point of joining FATE, Adrian didn't want to submit to its hierarchy. As far as Zari'd understood, that was some of the reason why he was here. Independence to a fault. While they were similar in battle, they differed when it came to faith in authority. If Adrian wouldn't acquiesce to authority, then it wasn't unlikely he'd find himself without a spot in the program. Zari couldn't help but feel that that would be his fault, as his duty as comrade was to keep his friends afloat as well.

Snap. Zari looked surprised as he was pulled out of his thoughts by the sudden sound. The chopsticks in his hand were broken in half, and he forced himself to take a deep breath and release the tension in his strained jaw. The madness held strong, covertly affecting his mood from deep within the shadow cast by his soul. He gently placed the now useless chopsticks on the table and shifted his vacant look over to Adrian. His mouth cracked ajar to show teeth a good few seconds before he managed to utter anything, but finally he spoke - with surprisingly confident cadence. "Would you break my leg if I forgot to tap out?" He maintained eye contact a brief moment longer, then uncomfortably looked away. Regardless of his own intention to break his opponents limb during the mission, he rationalized that away with having offered an option not to. The line between ally and enemy was black and white to him, and even in a training exercise the DWMA was on his side. Adrian was treading on that line.

"Ridiculous." He muttered.

Interacted & Mentioned: RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen QuirkyAngel QuirkyAngel Serei2477 Serei2477 Azurian Dream Azurian Dream Sir Les Paul Sir Les Paul

Last edited:

Adrian Hackney

"The Maiden"

Species Human
Partner None
Rank Fate Agent

Mission Mission recap
Status Irritated, disappointed

Oh, Zari. My dear friend...

How I do value you. How your words carry weight like few others. Much like Jarvis. To a lesser extent, Midori. Even lesser, Zosar, maybe. Those quick words combined with that foul aura. Eyes that could pierce the shield impenetrable from the old Chinese fables. And, to his own soul, the hound of Laelaps, trying to capture the Teumessian fox. Caught in a hunt so paradoxically impossible it was woven into the night sky. My friend, whatever well-meaning you have here... this time, it might be misplaced.

I wish I had the insight to know that. Maybe I do. Maybe I just lack the ability to accept that. Because this voice in the back of my mind is telling me these things, but I just can't shut out the others screaming in a violent rage about the injustice.

As if to immediately mock him, Adrian sparked up and into the conversation with a response more pointed and quick than anything he had said since that needle penetrated his skin. Slicing through the air with no regard to whatever else hung in it, he responded, "What's ridiculous is that I still have this collar. If not, you could find out yourself." It was an answer in and of itself. Adrian knew that. The only reason the collar would ever be needed is if he would do it.

"But you have a partner, don't you? Not that you need him. You fried my head, remember?" Adrian continued on, only further calling out Zari, causing a clash he had no intention on dropping. "You have options; I don't," he spat out. "Don't judge me because I'm not fortunate as you. A partner, a wavelength that can hurt someone when they're transformed. There are walls you can break down that my spikes couldn't dent if I tried," he added, his focus remaining as sharp as those words and his points as direct as they could come. No food or tea was going to dull that.

Adrian was steaming. He felt betrayed. Alone. Isolated. The smallest voice inside that head of his crying out not to push his friends away that much more drowned out by a louder one demanding to know how Zari could do that to him...

1666914332863.png

Ashi

As the zombie walked out of her conversation with Reiko she was met with a rather precarious predicament to say the least. Adrian had brought up the scenario he had been dosed for talking as if nothing he had done was not to far from what should be allowed. No sense of guilt to it, nor any sign of regret he was simply waving it off into the air. Ashi kept a blank face to it all the fact that the thing around his neck had been deemed necessary to trigger should have been a lesson learned, but no he was laughing it off like it was a divine comedy not something to take to heart. The rest had spoken up which helped the blue haired woman deflect her own desired words keeping her from getting frustrated. So far the team had proven very able, and clearly were worth the effort to bring back into the fold. Even with his vice Ashi could see why the DWMA was aiming to recover Adrian as well he was full of potential like the rest... it sorta reminded her of those she worked around during her Two Star days.

"Will I reclaim that strength," she muttered inaudibly to herself looking at her left hand unfurling her fingers slowly in their golden silk covered glove remember what was behind the veil of what she truly was now. Momentarily her thoughts were pulled away as she listened to what Zari had to say. From her understanding Zari had been around Adrian for awhile as had Jarvis. she should talk to them to get a better picture of how Adrian was. Multiple view points was a important structure to help understand how others really perceived someone after all. Zari's words were surprisingly sharp, and had a valid point to which she was actually impressed with. It was a both a hostile yet calm approach Ash in particular was very curious to how Adrian would take such a approach. Yet with that said she really did need to attempt group cohesion as well.

"So Elly, Sage do tell me some about yourselves. We were ushered so fast out into our first mission I didn't really get a chance to ask much of any of you," she smiled genuinely wanting to get to know some of the others while they had the chance before being flung into another deceptive scenario of chaos. In truth these two in particular had her eye the most, and seemed like the easiest to approach for now. Unfortunately before much else could be said Adrian snapped, and now it had finally caused her to snap.

"FOR RA"S SAKE STOP ACTING LIKE A CHILD," Ashi suddenly yelled at him without any form of filter with a loud prominent voice that would more than likely catch them all off guard as she walked straight up to Adrian like a mother about to slap the hell out of a bratty child who had finally pulled the last straw. Thankfully no such altercation happened, but the tall imposing woman was now directly face to face with the iron maiden.

"Things didn't go your way? Well guess what things didn't go their way either. Their is no victor here to complain about only sour losers," Ashi imposed onto him getting closer up to his face eye to eye. Equal to equal. She could let the rest go up till this point, but just like last time he pushed right back rather than think about what was being handed to him to value a opportunity to legibly reflect on what had transpire. Yet no he shot back clearly still high off the air with his prior conversation.

"Your a DWMA Agent you get up dust off learn and move on, or your suppose to be. Wouldn't be able to tell as you act like any other bratty child who didn't get their way. Hiding behind words to make yourself seem the victim right? Well guess what you made the choice to be here ACCEPT THAT TRUTH. Don't take it out on someone trying to help you see the other side of it," Ashi hissed not giving him a chance to butt in which he seemed rather skilled at doing from thus far she had seen. Why was she so angry now at him... cause dammit she wanted to help him, but he only knew one language, and thus she had to speak it.

"So how about you go somewhere cool down PULL THAT SPIKE out of your arse, and we try this again hopefully at a better attitude for your fellow teammates," she spiked into her words that clearly no conversation would be allowed from him to her until he calmed as much as she needed to now so much so she walked away to a seat more near Between the rest rubbing her temple knowing she was partly in the wrong as well, but someone needed to yell back at him. If not he would just keep complaining, and barking with no desire to learn anything present not looking up she spoke to Zari in particular.

"Sorry that was yours to handle not mine."

Mentions
Prizzy Kriyze Prizzy Kriyze Sir Les Paul Sir Les Paul EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen Serei2477 Serei2477 QuirkyAngel QuirkyAngel

Last edited:

Azariah Vasher.jpgAzariah "Zari" Vasher

In the moment when Ashi passed him by, Zari had stood up from his spot with only a scorch mark in the shape of a hand signifying the place where he'd once been. The smallest trace of smoke trickled forth from beneath the now-clenched fingers of his right fist. His posture was stiff, and his head hung forward with a gaze fixated hard on the floorboards before Adrian. The fire in his soul sparked unevenly, both amplified and off-balanced by a tiny flicker of darkness at its base. When Ashi spoke to him, he replied with a low tone and even rhythm.

"You're right."

The smoke between his fingers was replaced with small dribble of blood as his nails broke the skin in the palm of his hand and his knuckles whitened. Clearly no longer speaking to Ashi, he continued.

"What a blessing it is to break everything I touch."

His eyes wandered up to meet Adrian's. They were hollow, like a black corridor. Barely there, but just enough. The darkness in his soul stayed a flicker, and he didn't move. Not as a red droplet fell from his hand, not as he continued through clenched teeth, not as the collar on his neck lit up and produced a low purr. "I haven't lost a fight since I was twelve." The voice was barely his. It wasn't shy or staggering. Not sad, scared, nor excited. Gone was the insecurity, all that remained was a cold and even tone, as if delivering a eulogy. "I'd have been dead." He gave a pause, closed his eyes hard, and in the brief moment of silence the darkness in his soul retreated, if only ever so slightly. For the first time since he stood, he parted his teeth when he spoke. "Up until you."

He felt the cold hands of madness grabbing for his heart, like snow flakes tickling at the inside of his rib cage; but as much as his frustration with Adrian's stubbornness egged his composure to crumble, it wasn't enough to drown out the voice of reason. The lullaby of Jarvis' soul. The slightest comfort of his own. The friendship he'd so desperately found here. Adrian. A younger version of himself, standing teary-eyed behind him and tugging at his sleeve.

In seconds that felt like eternities to him, the collar's rhythmic sound slowly dissipated and it's lights shut back down. A puff of air escaped his nostrils as he relaxed visibly, and his bloodied hands fell open. "... I am fortunate - and thankful. Don't..." His usual cadence returned quickly as the shadow receded and his soul returned to a steady beat. His eyes opened, now filled with sadness and fear more so than anything else. They were pleading. His words had gotten caught in his throat, and he took the opportunity to restructure his next sentence. "... I don't want to squander that."

Interacted & Mentioned: RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen QuirkyAngel QuirkyAngel Serei2477 Serei2477 Azurian Dream Azurian Dream Sir Les Paul Sir Les Paul

Mv3Qgdc.png

MidoriHoshi

"Dark Star"

Species Death Golem
Partner Various / Autonomous Weapon
Rank Two-Star

Location Death City, West Nevada Desert, Drop off Point
Mission N/A
Status Nervous

Tags: The Regal Rper The Regal Rper Sybil Sybil Meredith Meredith (eventually)

Midori reeled over the last words he told Zosar. At times, he caught himself staring out at the few bits of flora that could grow. A coyote there. Whatever it was, it didn't matter. It was functionally the same thing. A blip on his radar for him to focus on while his mind wandered off...

Was that the best thing to say to Zosar? Probably not. If he left, would it be the fault of those words? Maybe, at least in part. Did he give Zosar anything to stay for? No. No he didn't. And, he knew that.

But, what gave him was the truth. His truth. From shoes not unlike those Zosar was in now, Midori told him his experience. Maybe it wasn't best for the DWMA. Or even himself. But, he rationalized it was the best for Zosar. That's what he kept telling himself. Convincing himself that he didn't need to stop right there and say something else in the middle of the desert. Make some scene out there, probably embarrass himself in front of Adra. Shout to the laughing sun and the unforgiving sands about how he fucked everything up for everyone--and always had. That was this thing, wasn't it?

Even before becoming a Golem, Ao was killed.

When Eros turned him against the DWMA, more people were hurt.

Anyone that he ever cared for or that did the same to him--they ran as far away as they could.

Fucking things up was his specialty and for some reason, they thought it appropriate to put him in charge of others just like him. Cruel fucking twist if ever there was one.

But, no. No he did not stop. He did not plead with the fates. He did not undo everything he just said because of some sad, self-perpetuating pity party. What he said was what he said. If the truth wasn't good enough, a lie could only last so long.

Time passed and they reached their destination. A small little oasis inside a valley underneath a huge cliff pass. Hardly the grand canyon, but definitely enough to feed the little spring at the basin. Midori got himself out of his vehicle, then over to Eustace. He of course needed some helping hands given his were still bound. Though, not for long. Once he was out, Midori transformed the tip of his finger into the smallest of blade ends to cut through the rope. He didn't remove the gag, however. He didn't want to hear some type of heartfelt reunion or apology to Zosar--or whatever the fuck was about to happen. Although, realistically, nothing was stopping it from happening. Eustace already knew he was being saved, so there wasn't a reason to think he couldn't remove the hood over his head and gag in his mouth. Midori just didn't want to expedite the process in some forlorn attempt and keeping himself together.

Midori guided them all through the oasis of sorts. It wasn't really much. Not like the sprawling jungles one might see in a movie. It was just a little wetter land with more dirt, slightly more shrubbery, and a few more animals--though most had fled with the sounds of the incoming cars. Little nests or burrows, dark and cool--away from the threats of the world. In a way, Midori was jealous.

It was a brief walk, no more than a few minutes and finally into something resembling a tree line. There they were. Three figures in thin, tan garments and caped over in hoods. Midori had no idea who they really were, either by their souls or what little of their faces were exposed. Zosar might have. Two men a fair bit older than him by the wrinkles in their eyes and once significantly older and not wearing a mask like the other two. A stern, almost menacing look to him. Like the asshole instructor that beat you for being off in your form by a fraction of a millimeter. One of the younger of the two had sets of clothing under his arms, clearly intended to garb Eustace and Zosar in similar outfits. If not for the now humid heat, Midori might have questioned why they would opt for such clothing. Death help them if they walked in this heat.

The older of the two had a briefcase. Leather of some kind. Tan. Rugged. Light and stained, too. It had been used plenty. Probably a field case, and likely the same one used for the bulk of the investigations. If that is what the Enlighteners considered clerical work, they really were worse off than he imagined. Zosar spoke of them in far greater light than this. But, given even Midori could barely make out their Soul Signatures, the level of Suppression they had alone was quite impressive. Nothing like a Hoshi, but not something to scoff at. Meant there had to be at least something to them.

"I-" Midori spoke, but was immediately cut off.

"Not yet. I need something from you first," the eldest of the men in front of him said, cutting him off. "I fully intend to give you what we have, but I need you to tell me that you will stress how important this is to your superiors," he explained. His tone flat. Demanding. Oddly reminiscent, even.

"What is so important?" Midori asked. He was slightly taken aback by this demand. Betrayal he might have expected, but not a request.

"Madness is returning. We had to put down everyone we found connected because if it. We intended to offer you at least one prisoner, but we could not risk it," he explained. There was a coldness to his words. This explanation. Madness returning was an odd way to word this. Madness was ever-present.

Midori did not know what to say to this. He tried to formulate a response, but the pause in the air only made the old man continue.

"You are young, so it stands to reason that you don't understand. This group calls their ability Lunacy. Their power and Madness seems connected to the Moon itself. When it is at its peak, they are as fierce as Mad Soldiers of Asura. But unlike a normal Corrupted Soul, they can hide in the day. They infiltrated us that way. Probably you, too. I've never seen anything like it, but it may mean a new wave of Madness is upon us. If that is the case, then the DWMA must take this seriously," he explained, giving out flat and surprising details openly. If true, it changed the entire dynamic of Madness as they knew it.

Midori stared at the man long and hard. He tilted his head to the side and for the first time had forgotten entirely about Zosar. "Are you telling me that people with full blown Madness can hide it just because the moon isn't out?" he asked. His voice was clear, but it didn't carry any of his confidence. If this meant that Corrupted Souls or even worse could hide like normal people, it meant there was a whole new layer to Madness. Espionage and deception was hard for those with Madness. This changed... everything.

"That is precisely what I mean. And, they are loyal. They worshipped the Moon like a God, but did not give us a name or who they answer to," he added, elaborating on the point. "It's all outlined in the reports, but we found Meisters and Weapons that could resonate. Witches are not immune, either. I would wager that all your Monster races could just as easily be part of them," he continued on, adding in his own speculation.

Midori was again taken aback. This was... absurd. He would almost believe it was a lie just to get back Eustace, but that merited the question of why? To feed them false information, confuse them, throw them off their tracks? Midori was interrupted in his train of thought as the man, almost as if a mind reader himself and noting that there was no direct response and even a distinct look of confusion on the face of Midori, chimed back in.

"I do not expect you or anyone to immediately trust us. That is why I ask that you stress the importance of this. If you want real honesty, we would not have risked ourselves for those two if this were not paramount. We expected that you may have back-up, and in which case, it is sincerely just us three. We would have went willingly, without resistance. If only to emphasize how important it is that the DWMA take this seriously," he explained. This time, that cold, stern tone of his had shifted. It was still solid as a rock, the man did not waver, but what he said was still almost a plead. Not quite a cry for help, but as close as a prideful man could get.

"It is just us. No hidden assassins," Midori responded first. Probably incorrect. Could have made them look like targets. Was the least important thing about this exchange, honestly. "I will tell my superior in person. Not on some paper report. I cannot promise you that they won't believe this is some rouse; it's been done before," Midori explained, almost ashamed of how truthful that was.

"Whether it is sooner or later, the DWMA will see. The Enlighteners are many things, but we are not allies of Madness. Keeping this from the DWMA would be an irresponsible act of negligence even we do not condone," he responded, returning to that cold, stoic tone he had before. He then handed the leather bound case to one of the younger men who began walking forward with it. Midori only glanced over to Eustace to begin the exchange. It was brief, and the hooded figure handed over the case without incident. A simple exchange, as the plan had always been.

This hooded Enlightener brought his eyes to Zosar. He did not walk with Eustace. He was not sure how this would go. Midori, too, let his eyes glance over to his former pupil. "Decision time, bud. It's now or never," Midori told him, his tone quick and concise. He knew what this meant to Zosar. But, in a few brief minutes, the entire weight of this situation shifted off of that young man and into a world of new problems.

Last edited:
Jarvis Briseis
Rieko's Teahouse

1455e5ebe6699c55613e152aee93e35c4664b01b_00.jpg

Jarvis listened through Adrian’s explanation, mildly relieved the Iron Maiden hadn’t tried to kill his opponent, either through battle induced-tunnel vision or anger. Rather, it sounded like it had been a calculated decision–to disable the other autonomous weapon via ankle-break, that is. Maiden had even tried to lessen potential hazardous situations by removing partial transformations from the equation. Was it the best decision? Well…the results (of Maiden getting collar-incompacitated) played out for themselves…but Maiden clearly hadn’t lost sight of the goal or the team. Rather, he tried too hard to win, and couldn’t think of a better solution? Zari and Adrian were alike in that sense. Thugs that they were, both played the threat card to get past their opponents.

However, only one of them actually followed through with the threat.

Jarvis’s eyebrow rose when Adrian seemed to blame his opponent for their broken ankle, wondering if his fellow weapon could hear the fallacy in his implications; It was like listening to a thug blame their victim for their actions because the victim wouldn’t give them what they wanted. Regardless of what his opponent chose, or chose not to do, Maiden was responsible for his own actions. Even if it was all an elaborate setup–and Jarvis seriously doubted their opponents devious enough to plan all that deeply–it was still Maiden that had fallen for the trap.

However, explaining to a delinquent student why their behavior was thug-like seemed like it would be too much of a hassle. Nitpicking at Maiden’s thought process as well. It wasn’t as if DWMA didn’t employ violent tactics as necessary. Jarvis had seen how DMWA treated their enemies, like Zosar’s ‘friends’ and other bloodsuckers, after all; One of the reasons Jarvis had taken so long to return to DWMA had been fear that he’d get a stake driven to his heart by former friends. He couldn’t even say that Adrian had disobeyed orders because the orders weren’t clearly outlined. They’d been given a task, explained that their opponents were fellow students and that violence wasn’t the only solution, but exactly how far they were allowed to injure had never been specified. Until now that is. Or had someone seen the violence in Maiden’s eyes and decided to pull things to a stop before worse happened? Teachers weren’t mind readers, after all, and even soul-reading could only go so far, especially if Maiden’s soul had been perfectly calm throughout his decisions–if he didn’t think he did anything wrong. What would have happened if Maiden’s opponent still refused to tap out or give up the part? Another arm? Another leg?

The lazy bloodsucker sighed, reaching for another slice of raw meat with his pair of chopsticks and stuck it in mouth, chewing as he gathered his thoughts. He’d been enjoying the taste of well-flavored flesh when a sudden ‘SNAP’ caused him to blink, red eyes flying worriedly towards Zari. While the bloodsucking weapon couldn’t see the madness that threatened to emerge in the meister’s soul, the scent of blood and the struggles were obvious enough.

‘Would you break my leg if I forgot to tap out?’ was a valid question. ‘Ridiculous’ wasn’t. Jarvis opened his mouth to intervene on his meister’s behalf, but Maiden responded quicker, almost predictably responding to the perceived attack with one of his own. Only it was a rather flimsy attack. The equivalent of ‘don’t judge me because I’m not as good as you, really’. At least, it revealed to Jarvis more of the deeper issues that Maiden struggled with beneath the surface. Jarvis didn’t even need to be a psychologist to hear the self doubt and the lack of confidence in the human’s words. Did he want a partner? Then Aishi chimed in and Jarvis groaned, slumping further in his seat as the conversation devolved into yelling and personal attacks. The zombie’s statements weren’t entirely inaccurate, but they didn’t aid the situation either. Rather, she’d let her frustration and sense of justice kick in. A very Atli-like response to be honest. Only, without trying to understand the other side, it bordered on self-righteousness. As much as Jarvis had loved Atli, he wouldn’t deny the girl her flaws. For a while, before becoming a bloodsucker, life had been fairly black and white for Jarvis as well.

EAT students battled “evil” on a daily basis, after all.

Beyond that, Jarvis found himself impressed by Zari’s attempts to communicate. Even without many words, he’d managed to express his feelings clearly enough–better than most, actually. Eyes and expressions sometimes spoke more than a litany of words ever could. But of course, Jarvis had been watching his meister closely so that, should the collar or Zari himself fail to stop him from doing what he would regret, Jarvis would intervene.

Then again, it wasn’t as if the two didn’t already spar on a daily basis. Jarvis rolled his eyes.

ruwwplcb6d.jpg
Setting his chopsticks down, the bloodsucker casually walked over to Zari, took one of the blonde’s bloodied hands in his, lifted it to his face, and licked at the wounds. “...It’s like you’re trying to tempt me.”

Jarvis would be lying if he said the taste of Zari’s life-giving fluid didn’t stir a euphoric feeling within him. Spicy, yet oddly refined as well. The bloodsucker was getting used to the taste of the meister’s blood. Even growing to like it. As smooth as fine wine and more addicting than any drug. Then again, pretty much any human blood tasted better than pig’s blood on most days.

Did he prefer human blood over animal blood? Yes. Was he aware of what DWMA would do to him if they caught him drinking from their students, willing or not? Also yes. Putting on a collar had been his choice and he didn't particularly care what other bloodsuckers thought about it.

Licking the red off his lips, and his fingertips, lest he excite Sage even further, Jarvis petted Zari’s hand soothingly–so not to agitate the emotional meister– even as he spoke to Adrain. “It’s not like I can’t relate. I’m a Type-E agent. Justified or not, my roommate is terrified of me. DWMA doesn’t have very many reasons to trust a bloodsucker like myself,” given the number of bloodsuckers that leaned towards the darker side “who has disobeyed orders and dropped out of school for personal reasons. The moment I’m caught drinking from a student of theirs, willing or not, they’ll have a reason to put me down like any other enemy bloodsucker. I don’t intend to give them that reason.” Very often, at least. “Breaking your opponent’s ankle to get what you want would be more acceptable in a bloodsucker society.” Or, at least, in the hidden covens he’d been into, the bloodsuckers didn’t seem to mind a broken arm or two. Blood quickened regeneration immensely. He shrugged again. “Less so in human society, I guess….You weren’t necessarily wrong in your way of thinking, and I won’t blame you for your choices in a fight, nor will I pretend to know what our mentors were attempting to gauge in that introductory game, but if you want to live amongst humans, you’ve got to abide by their rules…same as this team. Otherwise, you’ll run into the same problem again and again no matter which team you run to.”

If Maiden honestly thought it’d be better for him to have different mentors because they just couldn’t get along, Jarvis didn’t mind parting ways, but the blooducker didn’t think Maiden was giving Az, Reiko, or himself enough of a chance. Even Aishi seemed to care for Adrian despite the “motherly” aggression.

Jarvis tilted his head. “What I’m curious about is why you think you have no other options.”

This was coming from the guy who ended the Lot C game by creatively making fake balls and goals? Even if he didn’t think he could get the other weapon to surrender by himself, he could’ve waited for the others. He could’ve rushed for the part (what Jarvis would have done if Zeke hadn’t surrendered) or gotten Aishi’s help. They had an entire day to get all the parts, after all. Breaking the ankle was a choice. It wasn’t even a bad choice if one didn’t consider the collar…and the pain of the DWMA student…but he’d never really thought the Reaper’s school as particularly non-violent.

“Partnership isn’t the cakewalk you make it sound, by the way.” Scratching his head, Jarvis glanced at the upset Zombie as if to prove a point. The tournament they’d all witnessed, before Zosar got jailed, should have proved it as well…especially seeing Guass get electrocuted by his partner. “You were assigned one–a fellow weapon that follows the same autonomous path you do. Whether or not you think you can work with her is up to you. Zari’s just worried about you. The zombie as well…probably. ”

The last lines were added as an afterthought in case Maiden couldn’t read between the lines. Lines that were obvious to Jarvis, mainly because he’d been privy Zari’s worries while resting in the boy’s soul space. Ashi also resembled Atli a bit when she went off on one of her righteous rants. If it wasn’t for his former meister’s influence on his soul, Jarvis wouldn’t even be in DWMA. He wasn’t even sure if he still wanted to be a Deathsycthe. It had been a promise he’d made when he was 12…and Jarvis was no longer 12. At the same time, it wasn’t as if Jarvis had any other goals…besides making sure Zari didn’t end up like Atli that is. Watching Maiden break down the walls he claimed he couldn’t break might be entertaining as well. He yawned. “...getting your collar checked is probably a good idea. I'll go with.”

Because Jarvis was curious how the collars worked as well.

Adrian Hackney

"The Maiden"

Species Human
Partner None
Rank Fate Agent

Mission Mission recap
Status Many emotions, much relief

A wellspring of emotions swirled inside Adrian. Even if he had the desire, he had not the ability in any amount of time to explain them. Adrian was a far cry from the legendary Orpheus. He was no bard, his words did not capture the hearts and minds of others. However, it was not some impossible man of myth that Adrian hardly measured up to. Even at his absolute best, when calm and clear-headed, he could not craft words or be as charismatic as those around him. Zari had the uncanny ability to make just a few words cut like an obsidian blade. Jarvis could weave together a tapestry of insight and do it so effortlessly it made even some mentors appear ignorant. Ashi, even, could put more passion into what she said than anything Adrian had ever let passed his lips.

It was not his shortcomings that caused the maelstrom of emotion inside him. He could care less about how inadequate of a speaker he was. The words, the voices, the emphasis, the insight--everything that the people around him pieced together carried weight that his temper could not weather. All of his rage, his frustration, his angst, it fell to those around him. Trembling at its knees, forced to forfeit what little ground it had. This room became an auditorium that had no room for his rage and in its stead flooded in the waves of emotions that otherwise would have taken Death knows how long for him to process.

Without rage, there was guilt. That same feeling from before with Reiko. It came with the realization of everything he would do and was willing to do without any regard to those around him. Adrian was many things, but he was not blind. He saw how Zari was stirred by their exchange. The scorched table, the falter in his words, the backpedal from violence to the acknowledgement of the bigger picture here. Ahead of his emotions and beyond his pride, Zari saw clearly what held true value. That was something that Adrian knew he had lost sight of many times. Including now.

Guilt was not alone. It was met by melancholy. The sad reality of what it would be like to go back to the lonesome world without the few friends he had made thus far. This was not exclusive to Zari. Just a few words carried an incredible weight from Jarvis. Of everything he said, of the questions he posed, of even the voice he said it with carrying an uncharacteristic amount of give-a-damn not present in his normal demeanor... just the offer to go with him for his collar meant a lot. Jarvis may not know it, but that line alone saved Adrian from a walk of shame. A loneliness he didn't even realize he had escaped until reality itself was laid bare in front of him.

Miraculously, neither of these emotions were what filled him most. In the chaos that was his heart and soul, the emerging victor was elation. Sage and Elly had remained silent, which made sense. They hardly knew anyone here. But those that did? They hadn't given up. If Zari didn't care, he wouldn't bother replying; and, if he did, it would likely be some sarcastic remark. The fact Zari alone even acknowledge that threat meant he cared. And, Jarvis? To be so bothered and concerned that he spoke out a short novel when he could normally barely be bothered for a sentence or two--it was a sign even Adrian could not ignore. Ashi, for whatever it was worth, had to care. Not like the others, but she knew Adrian no more than Elly or Sage and she still spoke out. Annoying as it was, that type of pestering only existed out of concern.

Once the walls of his rage had been dissolved, Adrian could see he was in a room with people that cared more about him than anyone in his life, save probably his parents. His relationship with them hadn't been super close, but even the people Adrian thought was his friend had cut him off entirely after his wavelength surfaced, or disregarded him as a lost cause early into his time as an agent due to his attitude. Others had given up for less. Ceded any semblance of friendship in far better circumstances than these. Yet, here these three stood like rays of golden sun breaking through solid stone to illuminate the frigid darkness of an earth cave.

Adrian felt relief not unlike the brief respite Atlas did upon Heracles bearing the weight of the sky. His felt a relief in his chest, like hands releasing his very lungs, and for the first time in a long time, he could breath. Even the bruises left by the frozen fury of Sampson could not diminish that. It was a difference he could not put into words. As if seeing color for the first time, or land after years at sea. Even now with so much to respond to, the relief alone drowned out any notion of him being overwhelmed. It was not the volume of what he could say, but the sudden change in mindset that made it difficult. It was easy to say things when he was angry. It was much less so when the fuel he relied on so often was replaced with feelings so foreign to him.

Zari. Zari deserved it first. He was clearly upset about this as well. He hid it about as well as Adrian hid his crown of spikes. Whatever came next, he needed to make amends with Zari. "All... All I wanted was for someone to listen," Adrian said. The rage that made his words so confident before absent, and in its place something else. Something softer. Something even he wasn't sure of yet.

"I did not mean... to neglect your struggles, too," he added, knowing that Zari hadn't exactly had the best life. Those bright eyes of his darted over to Jarvis, remembering the tangent he went on regarding being a Bloodsucker. "Or yours... or anyone's..." he explained.

"It's just that.. I don't think I could have won against him. The other guy, I mean," he started to explain, opening up about his experience. "He was good. He could match everything I threw at him," Adrian went on, almost as if admiring his opponent more so than hating him. "I wouldn't be ashamed to lose to him. It's... I don't know. Hard to explain. He swung at me even when I had him down. He wasn't about to give up. In a split second, I had to make a decision. Let go, take a punch, and give up the only advantage I had.. probably the only way I could win. Or, commit," Adrian explained further, laying out his entire insight on the situation.

"I don't know what to tell you guys. I didn't mean to hurt him... but thing was, I didn't see another option. I wasn't careless like I used to be. It's just.. I don't give up," he told him, his gaze mostly on Jarvis. He couldn't make himself look back over at Zari. Truth was, he didn't want to know what he thought. Right now, he felt ashamed explaining this, and Zari judging him again was a legitimate fear inside him. "If I gave up, I wouldn't be here. I don't mean this program. I mean my whole life. I'm a weapon that can't be wielded. Stationary types like me don't even try to be agents most of the time. Why would they? An autonomous weapon will never be as strong as a duo. Or, or... my wavelength. No one wanted to train with me. I was basically forced to train alone under supervision. I didn't get a choice. Would anyone have blamed me for giving up then?" he asked, though rhetorically in nature. He wasn't done. If anything, he just got his momentum. This was the only time in his whole explanation there was any real confidence behind what he said.

"So yeah, I commit. And, I would again. Giving up just isn't who I am," he told them. Told them all, even, as if announcing it to the whole world. And finally, finally with that he looked back to Zari. "Even if you were in an unwinnable fight, I wouldn't give up. Partner or not, I would fight with you to the end," he told him with absolute conviction behind his words.

And lastly, his new partner. His eyes darted over to her, and his gaze became just a little more cold. "And, you. If you're gonna work with me, you're gonna have to get used to never giving up. That's the truth you have to accept, and you can save any outbursts like that last one for someone else," he told her quite pointedly, playing on the words she said just a moment ago.

He was done. It wasn't what he wanted to say. He wanted to tell Zari how much he valued their friendship. Tell Jarvis how much it meant to him that he cared like he did. Say kinder words to Ashi; to build something up there that wasn't. Maybe even some string of words that might make Sage and Elly trust him a little more; dull the edge that must obviously be there. He wanted so desperately to say those things. He just couldn't figure out the words. When he tried, what came out was just another retelling of the same old story. Just this time, laden with the admissions of what bothered him most. And maybe hidden somewhere in it, at least a fraction of the message he meant all along.

Hiei.full.1694016.jpg

Rand Mabason

"Soundwave Sorcerer"

Species Witch
Partner N/A
Rank Two Star

Location Dall Island, Western Beach
Mission Return to Dall Island
Status Analytical

CHARACTER UPDATES
- Raphael is now capable of utilizing rudimentary Magic Circles. With assistance and time for research, he can amplify spells he knows the correct runes for within a 5 meter area (7 if he has full focus). As of now, he is capable of using this to consistently channel and amplify the Lava Magic of Ark.
- Ark is now consistently capable of channeling his magic into magic circles, although unable to create them. This will come with an inherent increase to safety in using his AoE Lava Magic in these scenarios and any psychological benefit from confidence in doing so.
- Maria is now equipped with Mana Impregnated steel for her weaponry, including most shields, a forge hammer, two swords, two lances, a war hammer, and a maul.
- Chanterelle acquired all samples and is still our cute little forest witch.

Two hours was closer to three, but the results were undeniable. The group had succeeded on every merit. And, while it took a little longer than anticipated, the team-building that came along with it was worth it to Rand. Even if there was some tension that existed between them--even with him specifically--the four worked together quite well. It astonished him how wrong he had been about them from the beginning. He expected more friction. Bigger egos, more conflict amongst them. He was almost sure Maria and Chanterelle would eventually have some type of catfight with their opposing cultural backgrounds. Raphael seemed like the type to eventually realize just how much Ark out-classed him and create a toxic rivalry because of it. Ark and his mental health was holding up impressively well, though it wasn't stressed considerably yet. It just wasn't... what he expected at all.

But then, perhaps he was speculating based on his experience. What happened the last time he was on Paean... it was gruesome. Even before the Plague Doctors arrived.

"You have all done incredibly well. I know full sets of Witches that wouldn't have worked together like this," Rand told them, throwing them a compliment fashioned together in a matter-of-fact tone. It was true, too. Witch kind was known for its pride, and pride was often the bane of teamwork. Those that worked together were often in a clique with a clear hierarchy. Without that structure, the majority of Witches often didn't cooperate well enough to accomplish anything. Even feats like those completed here showed more promise than that of some more arrogant veterans.

"We have two primary goals. Reach and evaluate Lake Nordall. It is situated above one of the largest Ley Lines on Earth. The other is to ascend the Dall Oak, a massive tree comparable the New York Times building. We are to investigate its summit as it is believed to be the origin of all spiders on the island. Everything aside from that is collecting data and samples, thus secondary," Rand explained to them, reiterating some of the points he made on the plane. Although, this time he added one key factor, "Above all else, your goal is this: survive. Dall Island is treacherous on its own. It's current infestation is only one of many dangers."

With that, Rand went through to complete final checks before their trek off into the wilderness. Maria and her dolls were to assist with the various empty specimen containers. Chanterelle was to periodically check for significant changes in the flora or signs of new death. Ark and Raph were to guard the rear and each set to carry certain supplies; Ark carrying their food rations and water while Raph carried an extra camping set for Ark to manage the weight. Everyone else carried their own. All the while, Rand kept the head of the pack. Any danger would face him first, and his perception would alert him to most dangers, excluding what Chanterelle might be more attuned to.

"Lake Nordall should be located East of us depending on precisely where we landed on the shore. That's the direction we're headed," he told them, walking in front of the group several paces. "Ark, seal up our base. Entirely. The seals on our containers shouldn't let out a scent, but I don't want any surprises when it's time to leave," he instructed, giving Ark a task specific to him. It only made sense, after all. He could literally reshape the land. Once that was completed, the group could set out on the next phase of its mission.

"Chances are, we won't reach it tonight. But, we'll get as close as we can," he told them, stepping into the unique tropical forestry where Chanterelle just hours ago was attacked. "In the mean time, let's speculate. What we know about Dall Island. The Ley Line here can provide nearly limitless mana, and that mana is unique. It's pure. Creatures that can use mana can convert it almost instantly--not just witches. Dall Island is also typically known for rapidly changing seasons--at its worst, you could see snow, gale force winds, and a blistering sun all in an hour. Five years ago, there were new species on this island every time someone visited. Life lived, evolved, and died rapidly. Now, it's spiders and crabs. Any guesses as to why?" Rand asked, throwing them a genuinely open-ended question. In his voice, there was no hidden attempt to condescend them. No actual answer--fact was, he didn't rightfully know himself.

ichinose-shiki-love-live-brown-hair-blue-eyes-long-hair-masterpiece-best-s-396022410portrait.jpg

Eloise Keegan - Rieko's Teahous
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Mm... Not sure my pretty eyes 'n I could pull it off," She replied jokingly to the matter of the collar being a fashion statement.

Following that, however, the others began to feel a tad more social. Eloise turned her attention to her drink, picking it up and blowing on it softly before taking a sip. She had no issues keeping quiet to see how the conversation would shift. She was curious, too, about what exactly Adrian did after catching the tail-end of the incident. It was, unfortunately, a rather foolish incident. There was a stark contrast in how she thought versus him, or the rest of them, as she would learn the longer they spoke.

But then Zari spoke, as did others one by one, and Elly internally sighed as she simply observed.

They all acted emotionally, not just Adrian. Well, Jarvis perhaps not, though he also didn't seem to think things through. There was a reason she didn't comment on the cat theft earlier in the day, as well that she avoided actually fighting her opponent. For the prior, there was nothing she could have said to rectify that situation. Chastising the mentor was only running the risk of painting a target on your back, at least in the manner that Adrian did so. They were lucky that Az and Rieko were not another pair.

For the second, it was common sense. They wouldn't tell their opponents to fight with killing intent. This was a test, not a fight to the death. Elly knew her opponent wouldn't go for a kill shot, or even a cripple shot. The pair was handicapped, which is why she sought to just take the item and leave.

In the same vein, it was why Elly did not chastise Adrian. To do so blatantly ran the risk of only having a negative effect, at the very least from her. Perhaps Zari and Jarvis felt, as they had a relationship with him already, they could be so blunt with him. Elly doubted her "pretty eyes" would be enough for him to take such words from her as well.

Fuckin' hell, here we go.

Elly watched as Zari and Adrian went back and forth a bit. Then Ashi spoke up and absolutely detonated. She certainly wasn't emotionally dead. Then there was Jarvis. Honestly, Elly didn't exactly disagree. The iron maiden was pouting in her eyes, and dead wrong in his analysis of the situation, but stating so in such a terse way wouldn't garner the most optimal response.

Souls flared and whimpered. Zari had his own set of issues, but at least the bloodsucker seemed to be helping with that. Mental note made not to touch him.

Surprisingly though, the progression of conversation didn't go as poorly as she predicted. His words were still harsh, but the tone was different, and his soul certainly so. He actually took in their words. It was a start. Baby steps, she supposed.

"Jarvis looks like the sleepiest one here and he's still going~ I don't think any of us are ready to give up," Elly pined in again. "And don't be afraid to lean on any of us a bit, yeah? That goes for the rest of you too."

Group cohesion was probably the top priority right now. Elly felt she understood everyone else just a bit better though. That was a start; the team not killing each other.

@Team Reaper

1668882351195.png
Maria Mayer - Dall Island
As Ark went about building the Forge and makeshift Anvil, Maria thanks him and gives a nod of her head, her attention shifting back to Chanterelle now that Rand was done talking to her about something another. Turning back to join her, Maria remembered what all was said and offered by the Toadstool witch from before, her response was a bit belated but was a response all the same.

"Ah, as to earlier, yes, that would be the perfect size, the shape doesn't matter all that much, I will be breaking them down into finer material." A Pause forms as she notes that the other had already gotten busy with it and was well underway, was she working on it the whole time, or did she do it only after? Still, it was an impressive feat, such was the power of destruction. She would not lie, it did irk her a bit, operating under tight time constraints, needing the aid of others, still she was not about to waste time and sanity turning the crude biomass alone into a weapon.

"Ah, I'm a bit surprised you already had done this much. You have my thanks; I'll assist with gathering samples once the wood is burning and my metal is heating." With that she pauses for a bit, gathering the material, using her dress as a makeshift collection net. "Ehehehe...soon I will Silence him... Yes, none shall judge my work poorly, none at all... A work of art, eheheh." Muttering to herself, Maria tilts her head and smiles in thanks to Chanterelle and turns her back, it was not that she did not want to talk to the girl, there just simply was no time. She wouldn't have time to say more than a few words to each of them in turn.

Returning to the now finished constructs, Maria examines the hardened earth, it was not ideal, however it was; "Acceptable." Maria says in praise of his work. At mention of the coal she speaks up once more. "I would like the help in gathering wood, but I dare not take you from your own task, we have but so little time. So don't stay around too long, you still need to train and I have my dolls. Yes indeed, my wonderful, wonderful lovelies, my darlings, heheh."

With that said she gets to work gathering wood, Raph was soon to come over as well, setting his fire in place, Maria manipulates her dolls with movements of her hands, feeding boards and logs into the fire, all the while hearing him out. Raph's words were rather sweet, weren't they? That was the word, wasn't it? Sweet, kind, nice? Stopping the movements of all but the medium dolls, she turns to look at him. Smiling madly as she tilts her head and ran her right hand under her face, pressing it to the sides and front as she was given, a crazed expression that she held for a bit, before shaking it off.

"It is amazing, just so amazing that you knew why it bothered me, yet instructor Rand did not. It's a good thing I didn't stab you after all, ehehehe! Though worry not about me in the here and now, if it becomes too much I will talk or mutter and give in to my work. I really do thank you, I must make something for you I think... but ah. Work calls for now, the fire should be fine now that I have the wood burning, please go about your training."

With that she turned her back to Raph and began taking the wooden parts off of her weapons setting them aside as she fed more of the wood from the crates into the fire. Taking the time to help Chanterelle as promised, Maria says very little and finds the smell disgusting as she soon turns back and calls her dolls aside. Feeding the steel into the upper portion, she heats the items one by one, crushing the crab shell armor as she does so into a fine powder with a mortar and pastel from her toolkit. Bit by bit making a blue powder that seemed to glow with a soft sheen.

Using a pair of tongs, she carefully and slowly moves pieces with delicate care, starting with the blades the blue powder was added in a light sprinkle before being hammered in with a loud clank and clang. This process would be repeated for the next hour as Maria worked hard and carefully, ignoring all others around her as she tried to meet the deadline of what she was allowed. A forge hammer, two swords, two lances, a war hammer formed by the reforged axe, and a maul were all formed, with a glittering blue sparkle, quenched in the waters of their supply cache, sea water would only damage the metal.

Admiring her work, Maria wanted to engrave or otherwise improve upon the work, but time would not allow, if not for her magic not even this would be a proper amount of time to quince and form the weapons and shield casing properly, but time was time. Instructor Rand had no inkling to the skill and strength needed in blacksmithing. She would teach him somehow some time. "Heheh.." Though she had little time to sit and gloat or plot as they were soon given more tasks and sent into the woods.

With a few commands and some sugary words, he led them all off after sealing up the base. For her part Maria was tasked with carrying a large number of the cages, her small dolls could not just carry the larger cages and walk across the ground, least not without tripping. So, she took up a new approach, using her human sized doll to carry all of the armaments under its cloak while one cage was on its back, and another was carried in its arms. Her smaller dolls were then deployed to "fly" as the demon tool strands were exerted to lift the dolls into the air, where from the four corners they carried another large cage with the remainder stacked upon it. She could not quickly enter into combat and made a point of pointing this out to Rand as soon as they left.

Along the way as he went on with their objectives, she wasn't so sure it was a good idea to be camping out here, or wandering around in the late evening and night, still his question was an interesting one, though she disagreed with his thoughts. None of them really worked all that closely or for long and in the nature of her craft none of them knew anything to countermand what she was doing. And if they had she would not have listened anyways. And if they had tried to stop her, they would all learn very quickly why that was a very bad idea.

"Hmm... Who is to say Spiders and Crabs are all that there is? As you said the island had not been watched for some time. And the crabs caught us by surprise. Though to answer you, of snapping claws and spindly webs be predators of a different stripe, to as why they met us and naught else, survival breeds powerful reclaimers for one reason or another. Man is weak and easy to break, yet because of mind and working hands we rule this planet regardless of what else has to say. Though for now I watch for that which goes bump in the night.

For their terrors may lurk that paint our two foes not as predator but prey."

Merciless Medic Merciless Medic The Regal Rper The Regal Rper Meredith Meredith Sir Les Paul Sir Les Paul

Sara & Evabloodlust texas.jpg1669074283865.png
March 26, 2067
Collab with Mook-LandStrider Mook-LandStrider
Interactions: Gauss, Noah
Mentions: Nadia, Dani, Emmett, Zelda
Sir Les Paul Sir Les Paul RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen Prizzy Kriyze Prizzy Kriyze

Focusing on battlefield awareness over the last several minutes of the engagement Eva had thought over the opponents they were fighting. ‘You know, I really would like to know what specific kind of magic can do this. It's almost like they have some semblance of intelligence despite being particularly mindless.’ She hadn’t even taken a breath before the bones began to move once more. ‘See! I knew it, they do have some kind of marching order… or at least it seems like it.’ She chided out within the space Sara and she shared.

Seeing where the remnants were going she tried to see within but she was still unable to completely see what was going on. ‘We may need to do some extra smashy maneuvers coming up here. Give the bones a double tap and bonk them until they are dust. I don’t know if we have time for that but if they can just dance away like this I am a bit worried that we may be in over our heads.’ Eva continued on, thinking of the witch making her anxiety spike somewhat. Her mind however was immediately pulled back to reality at the emergence of the abomination. ‘Well, that's something.’ Eva muttered.

She hadn’t seen or read anything like this entity, it was something that was necromancy based magic yet it wasn’t necromancy magic. She grumbled internally, so much so that Sara could sense her displeasure. ‘I don’t know what this is! It's like some grotesque monster from the space of the dead series. The sort of thing you’d have nightmares about that would come out of vents and just fuck your shit up.’

“I see that.” Sara spoke aloud, watching this skeletal abomination become fleshy as it reformed from the bits and pieces they didn’t fully snuff out. She didn’t want to make any rash decisions as it transformed, not wanting to be pulled into the masses and get stuck in charred, meaty, skeletal hell. The fun she had firing herself around the place like a ping-pong had all but faded, her feet still on the ball bearings Gauss set up with a hand holding onto the edge of a rock to keep herself upright as she stared.

Unlike Eva, Sara’s soul held a steely resolve. She saw this thing and saw the challenge laid before her. Emmett and Zelda didn’t seem to get involved just yet, which gave her the confidence that they knew they could beat it. They just had to work like a team.

She listened in on Nadia and Dani’s conversation as they were having it outside of their soul space, only to look with a proud smile as they resonated. Finally! Nadia took first initiative and charged at the beast, going for its hip joints. She was trying to stagger it, knock it off balance. She called Gauss on her comms, remembering when she had stabbed Noah into a crevice of a golem back during that exam to get into the EAT classes of DWMA. “Gauss! Stick Noah in the back of that thing and disrupt its core! Turn this thing into a strobe light! We’ll keep its arms busy!” She then spoke to Eva. ‘This thing is similar enough to what we were fighting before. Just because it may look different doesn’t mean it may not share the same weaknesses as the smaller ones that became this. Look at how it’s built. It’s trying to protect its core.’

Sara launched herself towards the beast’s back, grabbing one of the rib pieces to swing herself to the head of this thing, planting her feet squarely on its neck and shoulder, and swinging Eva down on its face, hoping to leave it dazed enough to ignore Nadia and go after her.

Being swung into the abomination's face put Eva in a rather peculiar spot. Repeatedly she was given a much more up close and intensive look at the creature. ‘I just want to state for the record, that if I transformed and any of this thing came with me I don’t think I would quit puking for an hour. I count myself very lucky at this moment that it doesn’t work that way.’ Eva groaned, but there was one thing she got a good bit of…. the smell. “Sara… I think I am going to be sick… take a long backswing please.” the flail spoke out outside of their soul space. Sara just tried to hold back a goofy smile despite knowing Eva could feel her soul become amused, Sara’s second swing having a long backswing just as Eva requested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back