• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Sorta multi-genre Superhero Roleplay

With vibrations, I mean the ability to cause something to move or vibrate with speed. It is a pretty broad power because it gives the user many neat tricks and moves to use. For example, vibrating one's body so that the human eye can't perceive/track it's movement, rendering the user invisible (well, almost). Vibrating something so that it becomes very hot, perhaps with the aid of friction, to generate fire or heat damage. Causing something specific to break due to violent vibrations or even causing an earthquake to a very extreme level. I wouldn't intend to start out with being about to explode people or cause earthquakes, of course, but I believe it would have lot of potential to unlock its different tricks and stuff later on down the line, you know?

With shielding, I was looking more at stuff like creating a layer over one's body as makeshift armour, generating walls of energy that can block say, idk, bullets? A speeding car? Idk what the scope would be. And then I could unlock being able to move these shields and gain the ability to create even larger shields or shields with different properties (like those who touch the shield are electrocuted or set on fire)? Then I could move my shields about to crush things, which could end up being pretty dangerous if I was to make a large shield over a city and then drop it on all the people there.

Both have the potential to be very powerful but start off fairly simple and generally not particularly destructive, but can end up causing a lot of damage once I've unlocked their full potential. So: am I allowed either? And if so, which one should I go for?
Sooooooo, the ability to control the amount of kinetic energy in an object kinda. Also why not go with telekinesis?

Wow I have a lot of posts to catch up on.
Props to RpNation for not notifying me even when I'm watching the thread eh.
Anyway - I'll give that power thing a go...

I've got some ideas floating around, but I'm going wait to see the system so I don't commit to something that won't work in it - looking forward to this getting off the ground :)

Sorry about the wait. My tests have been making my capacity to focus kinda split, but tomorrow it´s the last one so I will have a couple days I will be able to really dedicate to finishing up the system

Sorry about the wait. My tests have been making my capacity to focus kinda split, but tomorrow it´s the last one so I will have a couple days I will be able to really dedicate to finishing up the system
Hey, no worries. Get your tests sorted and done, that's the important stuff.

Sooooooo, the ability to control the amount of kinetic energy in an object kinda. Also why not go with telekinesis?

I mean, yeah, I guess. I don't make the object move in the sense that I can make it go from point A to point B of course, but I simply shift it back and forth in its place rapidly to achieve some kind of effect.

I didn't go for telekinesis because that power in itself is just op with the amount of possibilities it has. It would completely encompass both the shielding and vibration ideas as well as make my character virtually unbeatable even at low level. Like, a basic telekinetic power (that could actually be used in combat, I'm not talking about levitating chairs or bringing small object to my hand) could block any attack within an area around the user and could kill anyone that decides to get close immediately.

If I can get away with telekinesis, then sure, I'll have that. But idk if Idea Idea would let me unless some massive nerfing when on, in which case it would just make the power boring. :/

Kloudy Kloudy I think it's important to take potency and magnitude into account. Low-level telekinesis would likely have a limit as to how much force it can apply how quickly - perhaps in terms of pressure or newtons per second or so on. My physics is a bit fuzzy.

If your character can only apply X units per second of force, and someone throws a punch at you with 3X units per second, then telekinesis may not outright stop the blow so much as "dampen" it by slowing the hit momentarily before impact.

Sidenote - do you have a background in engineering, physics or chemistry?

Kloudy Kloudy I think it's important to take potency and magnitude into account. Low-level telekinesis would likely have a limit as to how much force it can apply how quickly - perhaps in terms of pressure or newtons per second or so on. My physics is a bit fuzzy.

If your character can only apply X units per second of force, and someone throws a punch at you with 3X units per second, then telekinesis may not outright stop the blow so much as "dampen" it by slowing the hit momentarily before impact.

Sidenote - do you have a background in engineering, physics or chemistry?

Well as I said, if Idea lets me get away with that, then I'll choose that. :3 It does make sense now in hindsight, but I do still think telekinesis is a very powerful power.

And I'm currently in education at GCSE-level, so I'm in the highest bracket for physics, biology and chemistry and I'm in the last year of it, approaching my final exams in a couple of months. So I do understand what you're saying, but I wouldn't get overly technical with me because you might leave me a bit confused. xP

Well as I said, if Idea lets me get away with that, then I'll choose that. :3 It does make sense now in hindsight, but I do still think telekinesis is a very powerful power.

And I'm currently in education at GCSE-level, so I'm in the highest bracket for physics, biology and chemistry and I'm in the last year of it, approaching my final exams in a couple of months. So I do understand what you're saying, but I wouldn't get overly technical with me because you might leave me a bit confused. xP

Actually, the physics/chemistry part was more relevant to the "vibration" power. Something I've learned from plenty of anecdotes and some friendly GMs: Do not give vibration powers to physics majors.

Would people be annoyed if I brought time travel into this or would that be OK with everyone?

Personally, I can't see how one-person time travel could work unless it was a simple "rewind" a few seconds into the past.

- Travel more than five minutes into the past? Are changes made in the past reflected in the timeline all other characters exist in? Are they in another timeline instead? If the latter - what does that accomplish, even? You can't just totally manipulate the world around characters and change their circumstances.

- Travel into the future? What has happened? You can't predict how other characters will act and how events will unfold, so any "future" situation would be making massive assumptions.

But again - a rewind ability might be possible. Though, trying to use it in conversation with PCs to gain an upper hand might annoy players (because you would effectively force them to repeat their post again, with minor differences to reflect the altered conversation).

Personally, I can't see how one-person time travel could work unless it was a simple "rewind" a few seconds into the past.

- Travel more than five minutes into the past? Are changes made in the past reflected in the timeline all other characters exist in? Are they in another timeline instead? If the latter - what does that accomplish, even? You can't just totally manipulate the world around characters and change their circumstances.

- Travel into the future? What has happened? You can't predict how other characters will act and how events will unfold, so any "future" situation would be making massive assumptions.

But again - a rewind ability might be possible. Though, trying to use it in conversation with PCs to gain an upper hand might annoy players (because you would effectively force them to repeat their post again, with minor differences to reflect the altered conversation).
I had a few Ideas on how the time travel would work, and your right it would be annoying and a hassle to deal with which is why I asked. :)

Actually, the physics/chemistry part was more relevant to the "vibration" power. Something I've learned from plenty of anecdotes and some friendly GMs: Do not give vibration powers to physics majors.

Lol yes, I would definitely be investing more of my time into the realm of physics should I choose vibration powers. xD I might actually go with the power Idea gave me though, stuff about leaving prints and triggering them for interesting effects. Kinda like hex magic but they're invisible.

Speaking of which Idea Idea could the marks left on objects still be activated if I changed the intended effect? So some marks could cause explosions or deep penetrating wounds at higher levels and some could cause paralysis/pain or give out plumes of smoke or even burst into a certain elemental effect.

This gives me more versatility so to balance this, how about we say I have to predetermine which mark will have which effect? Instead of having any mark do whatever I want. Sound okay? I know you haven't made your system yet, but as a power in general, does that sound balanced?

Lol yes, I would definitely be investing more of my time into the realm of physics should I choose vibration powers. xD I might actually go with the power Idea gave me though, stuff about leaving prints and triggering them for interesting effects. Kinda like hex magic but they're invisible.

Speaking of which Idea Idea could the marks left on objects still be activated if I changed the intended effect? So some marks could cause explosions or deep penetrating wounds at higher levels and some could cause paralysis/pain or give out plumes of smoke or even burst into a certain elemental effect.

This gives me more versatility so to balance this, how about we say I have to predetermine which mark will have which effect? Instead of having any mark do whatever I want. Sound okay? I know you haven't made your system yet, but as a power in general, does that sound balanced?
Well, I was about to repeat that I need the system ready to really evaluate things but...

That sounds OP, more specifically something called "insta-kill", which means that it is something that could kill the other player without giving them a reasonable way out of it.

and Jack in the Box Jack in the Box Nothing stops you from trying, but it will be very hard to convince me to let time travel in in any way.

Okay, well maybe not the explosions and stab wounds part, but if I stick to like loads of debuffing effects and minor injury effects, would that be less OP? Minor injuries would be things like flesh wounds/cuts, burns, maybe a bit of frostbite, that stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back