• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Sorrow’s Reach - Exalted 3e

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
The Zenith caste mark still glowing dimly on his forehead, Deimos shook his head somberly and stood before speaking aloud. "That's not Bloody Reeds." He looked to his men, "begin making preparations to move out. Our hunt is not over yet."
Scorpion pauses when she hears this. "Well, if this is not the one you have been hunting, who was she?" She looks down at the bloody mess that she made with curiosity. How many of these dark Exalts are there running around out here? "Before you set off on the trail of Bloody Reeds, would you like some company on that hunt? I, for one, am all for ridding Creation of these pustulant blights, and what better way of doing so than with a group of other Exalted? Besides, if he is going to attack any other towns or villages around here, we will be doing a double service with our time."

Turning to look at the others that came here with her, she calls out, "What about you guys? Care to bag us some more big game?" She grins, looking forward to the upcoming fights that will most certainly be taking place.
WlfSamurai WlfSamurai did I find anything of interest when I searched the body of the dead eyed woman?

Tomiko's good feeling is suddenly replaced with a chill at the thought that there were more of these Deathknights out here, causing mischief. She looks over at Deimos and Scorpion and nods. "I hate the thought of these . . . people . . . out here, hunting the innocent, and any chance of stopping them should be taken. So long as you don't mind us tagging along with you and your men, of course." The last was said to Deimos, but she doesn't see the big man having any objections to their presence.

Gatherer groaned inwardly. She was hoping to have a relaxed time in a city, or maybe they will be sent to a new mission to some court, where she can use her skills to better effect. She did some damage to the zombies, but knew that faced with another battle-trained exalt, she has no chance to survive, and her friends seemed hell-bent on doing just that. But she remained silent.

Scorpion, you do find something. First, there is her soulsteel reinforced breastplate which has been split in half.

But, inside her pocket, you find a carved figurine. It’s worn. Most the details are difficult to make out. But, it roughly depicts a woman holding her heart in her hands. There’s a hole in the woman’s chest where she tore her heart out. It smells of old dirt.

But there’s more to it. You can feel it’s hunger for Essence. Like the object is reaching for your power.

Sorry, forgot to add the second half when I pasted:

Mayor Weil sighs. A trouble look settles on her face. “I don’t mean to be ungrateful. We’d all be dead if it weren’t for you all.” She hesitates and eyes the zombie corpses. “Or worse. But, do you really think you small group can keep them from our small town? If you’re miles from here, how will we be protected? I have these people to think of. And we’re not fighters.”

Last edited:
The soldier pulled his helmet from his head and propped it against his hip. His gaze floated over Scorpion, sizing her up as he scowled. "Yeah, I suppose that would be nice. You can handle yourself in a fight better than any other I've seen" He turned to Tomiko. "You're all welcome to join." Deimos gripped his helmet tight, knuckles white. "But know that the final killing blow when we find him is mine."

Gatherer approached the Mayor, and put her hand gently on her shoulder. "I cannot offer any guarantees that we will be able to protect you if we're miles from here, but I can offer you this." And then she turns towards all of the assembled villagers as she loudly proclaims " I, Gatherer of Clouds, vow to do all within my power to bring the nations of this area to stand together against the threat of these dark exalts, and to offer protection to all humans who need it against their depredations." As she proclaims this, her vow is written in golden letters of Old Realm in the sky above, and her caste mark flares.

Tomiko feels the power of the oath pass over her, and she looks at the mayor with a confident expression. "The safest thing for your people here is for us to find and eliminate the threat to you before it ever gets here to challenge you. Trust us in this."

The beggar who had previously opposed you and left steps out of what is left of the alley nearby.

“There are other options,” he says, mostly to Mayor Weil. Something isn’t right about this man in rags. He knows too much. And he’s too well-spoken. “This transcends borders and local rivalries.” He nods his head to the dark Exalt cut in half. He addresses the crowd. “While these heroes have saved all of you now, we can unify with others for safety. There are those towns and nations that have been rivals or even enemies. But, if they understood the threat, it might be enough to set aside old wounds for safety. The Leral Kingdom is only a week’s travel. They have never traded this far West and usually only do so with larger states, but they have a standing army. A capable one.” He looks back to you all. “The only issue is convincing them to help. And I think it will take more than a good story to do so.”

Scorpion snorts. And how are we supposed to do that? We are not nobles to be given free access to the rulers of this Kingdom. Well, Tomiko has always seemed to be used to the courtly graces; perhaps she could. Hmmm. Possibly. She then looks over to Deimos and Tomiko. "Well? Do you think it would be possible for one of us to get access to the people in charge of this kingdom and make a persuasive argument to come to the defense of this village? It's not like I am used to running in these circles to be able to get an audience with them."

Tomiko frowns. This man has too much knowledge and influence to be a simple beggar. Who are you? With narrowed eyes, she looks at the beggar-man and focuses her Essence into her Charm of All Encompassing Sorcerers Sight, enhanced by the Charm Burning Eye of the Deliverer. If you are an Exalt in disguise, I will soon see!
Using Personal Essence of 4m to activate the Charm with the Burning Eye of the Deliverer. This Charm enhances All-Encompassing Sorcerer’s Sight, aiding the Solar in an attempt to see through magical disguises, shapeshifting, or any other magic which allows a character—even another Exalt—to appear to be something or someone other than who he is. This Charm makes it possible to notice such effects with Awareness, adding the Solar’s Essence in automatic successes to the attempt. For the difficulty of seeing through disguises, see page 224. Unless stated otherwise, seeing through all other kinds of magical identity-deceptions is a difficulty 5 feat with an Int + Occult roll.

8 successes

Last edited:
Tomiko, you can see the flows of Essence. How they move between objects and the crowd here. And you can see the beggar. And his Essence. He is laid bare to you.

He is an Oracle. A Sidereal, Chosen of Secrets.

Deimos bit his lip and shrugged. "If it is possible," he answered Scorpion, "it won't be because of me. I must profess a lack of experience being granted an audience before rulers and their courts. I am willing to follow your lead however, if you think it is the best option for finding and ending Reeds."

Gatherer eyed the 'beggar'. That man knows far too much to be just a beggar, but she knew that at the same time, she needed to address the village mayor. She is the one that needed convincing. After all, if all the villagers just up and left their fields, who would be there to actually feed the cities?!

Smiling at the mayor, and keeping the beggar in plain view, Gatherer bows and speaks, her voice starting as whisper, seducing the people to crane their necks to hear her soft words, and then steadily rising, not much, just enough to be audible. "If the Leral Kingdom has a standing army, and can be persuaded to send it here, I am sure they can be persuaded to do so... but no amount of honeyed words would be enough to keep it here. Unless, that is, you're willing to submit yourself to their rule. After all, if you pay them taxes, they cannot afford to lose you. But, I think we're pulling the horses ahead of the carriage. First, we'll need to make our way there, and set up a meeting with them." And then she eyes the beggar, and gives him her best smile. "I am glad that even you have come to your senses, and sees the truth of our words, and that we just seek to bring harmony to the land. Would you be so kind as to show us the way to Leral? I'm sure that you many stories to tell, and I, for one, would be delighted to hear them."

spending 4 motes on the following charms:
Motive-Discerning Technique
Quicksilver Falcon’s Eye

Doing a read intentions on the beggar, and spending an additional 6 motes on Socialize Excellency to add 3 successes.
Motive-Discerning applies double 9 to read intentions, and Quicksilver Falcon's Eye allows me to see whether the mayor and the beggar, use Guile or Resolve against my speech.

So, 8 successes on the read intentions on the beggar.
6 successes on persuade Mayor.

Tomiko crosses her arms as she looks at the beggar with a cross expression on her face. I a cool voice, she says, "I am wondering why a person that would claim to have the best interests of this community, and being Exalted himself, would work so hard to undermine our efforts to protect this place when you could have joined us in the fight to save lives. Now you are pushing for us to try to bring this village under the watchful eye of Leral. So what agenda do you work for?"

Gatherer, your keen social sense and deduction puts together what this “beggar’s” aim is, here and now. You can see it in his movements, who he’s looking at, what he’s paying attention to.

This simple man in rags clearly has higher aims. Right now, though, he’s looking secure Sinju. To keep it safe. Though, why, you’re not sure.

Mayor Weil nods. “Yes. I guess there is a lot to think about. They might not be the only option for protection. But, you’re right about meeting with whomever we choose first to discussion options. Would you be willing to help us with that, Gatherer of Clouds?” She looks between each of you. “Or, any of you, for that matter?”

Tomiko, the beggar eyes you a moment. Nods. “This here,” he motions to what’s left of the town, “is all I have, really. I’ll protect it as long as I still draw breath.”

Gatherer picks up the sides of her red dress, and does a courtesy to the mayor. "If you have a preference to which nation you want to align yourself with, and what are the limits of what you'd agree to, I'd be more than happy to work with you, and do my best to help you achieve that." And then she turns to the beggar stretching her hand towards him, asking, with her eyes, for him to take her hand "If you want to protect this place, help us achieve this goal, and we can make sure this place is kept safe, and perhaps others like it as well."

Tomiko nods. "Why not? Anything worth having is worth fighting for, isn't it? You want to protect this village? That is a noble sentiment. Show us that you are serious about it by coming along with our efforts to do so. Remember, we have no stake in this place like you seem to, but we were all willing to fight to protect the people here."

Scorpion shrugs. "Fight for what you believe in, or let it be taken from you. Which would you rather have happen? Tomiko is right. We have nothing to gain by doing this other than the knowledge that we are doing right by the people of Creation. Come with us, and share your thoughts about this place and why it is so important to you."

The beggar stares off into the distance for a long moment.

"I'll...consider it." he says, finally. "There's more to it. But, you're not wrong."

END OF "SESSION" 1

Everyone gets 5 XP and 4 Solar XP.

The next scenes are forthcoming.

Session 2

Everything about The Leral Kingdom reads military. The feeling is even more punctuated in Lagisa, the Capital city. Wide streets for marching, tall walls and high buildings, defensible high ground leading up to the castle proper, and discipline in every city watchman’s eye.

The military elite rule. In the eyes of the Leralans, their military isn’t a function or an office. It’s part of their culture. From an early age any boy or girl can join the Hall of Battles. If they complete several trials—some of which are life-threatening—they’re conscripted and molded into hardened warriors.

Built on a hilltop into Eastern highlands, Ligasa’s Castle stands tall against any who approach through the surrounding farmlands. The sprawling walled city surrounding has an efficient organization to it.

You all sit in the castle keep’s great hall. Even here, the trappings and decorations are spartan. Simple pine chairs surround the ruling council’s plain oak table. A single Leralan flag stands in two corners. The only true decorations are the polished suits of armor that stand quiet facing each other on either side of the room.

And old soldier sits across the table from you all. Virius Salonius, Leral’s Foreign Minister. Despite his age and a limp from a war wound, the chords in his arms tell you he’d still be able to kill a man with his bare hands. His skin is weathered and his eyes have an vigilant calm to them.

Two soldiers guard the exit in full armor. With you is the beggar who you’ve all learned is named Jarek. On the other side of the table, the Minister’s aide, a young woman who seems flustered and carries a large tome, ink, and quill

“I’m not entirely sure how you all managed to get this audience,” the Minister says to you all with a side glance to his aide. “But, here I am. And I’m listening. What brings you to the Kingdom?”

Sherwood Sherwood , Psychie Psychie , Red Shadow Claws Red Shadow Claws , Crocodile Crocodile , MasterDAF MasterDAF

Gatherer smiles meekly at the minister "If i may speak, Honored Minister of the Laral Kingdom, we have come here on behalf of a small village not too far from your mighty kingdom's border. It has no kingdom it belongs to, and being isolated makes their lives difficult. And so, they sent us here to beseech you to extend your protection to them." As she speaks, her manners change slightly, affording her a posture and manner of speech that is similar to that of the Laral Kingdom's natives.

spending 4m on Mastery of Small Manners, and 5m on Harmonious Presence Meditation.
MoSM eliminates all penalties to my social rolls from being unfamiliar with their culture, and anyone with a positive intimacy to said culture, gains a minor tie of respect or admiration to me,
HPM gives me 3 extra dice on all social rolls, and a 1m discount on Social Influence Charms.
Both are scene-long charms.

6 successes on a Man + Presence roll. She is omitting information, which is why i went with manipulation, but she is asking nicely, so added the die from her specialty.

Last edited:
Tomiko remains silent, letting Gatherer speak. She knows that if she were to jump in right now, it might prove to be disastrous for the small village that they are trying to save.

Minister Salonius shifts in his chair and smiles. His mood has clearly changed. There’s a long silence. He rubs his mouth and nods.

“I see,” the Minister says. “Let’s start from the beginning, Miss— What did you say your name was? There is a lot going on out there. Why do you need protection?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back