• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Sorrow’s Reach - Exalted 3e

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
The Dead-Eyed Woman grits her teeth and explodes with Essence. The aura that surrounds her is like nothing you’ve ever seen. It’s a deep black that seems to drink the light, much like her sword. It looks like the Void itself is swallowing her whole. A caste mark appears on her forehead: a bleeding black circle with bleeding black lines surrounding it.

She leaps forward, closing the distance to Scorpion and brings her daiklave down into several precise strikes, each faster than the last. She’s attempting to drive you backward and gain the initiative.

This is a withering attack with 13 successes to hit. Scorpion, how do you defend?

Turn 1 Initiative:
Scorpion 10
Deimos 8 (10)
Dead-eyed Woman 9 (delay) <---------------
Gatherer 6
Scorpioin’s Sword 6
Gold Claws 5
Ghosts 5
Mountain Shadow 4
Zombies 4
Tomiko 3

Turn 2 Initiative:
Scorpion 10
Dead-eyed Woman 7
Gatherer 7
Deimos 6
Gold Claws 5
Ghosts 5
Scorpioin’s Sword 4
Mountain Shadow 4
Zombies 4
Tomiko 3

Last edited:
Surprised by the sudden attack that has been launched at her, Scorpion gives an inward smile. Perhaps this fight will be a bit of a challenge after all! Lets see how good this woman is. In a sudden flash of metal, Scorpion's sword seems to leap out of its sheath and into her hand. With a powerful arcing swing, she brings Shining Ice Mirror into the path of the incoming blade of the woman with the dead eyes. With a defiant shout, she says, "Is that the best you can do? Its not like you are facing off against one of the Children of the Sun. Oh, wait! You are! Bring me the best you have; you'll need it!"

As she finishes her defensive maneuver, her blade once more slides back into the sheath, prepared to be drawn once more at a moment's notice.
I am hoping that this counts as a level two Stunt, giving me two extra points, and with my Excellency, it brings my Parry DV up to 13.

Single Point Shining into the Void Style Form Charm and Increasing Strength Exercise active

Essence: 1
Personal: 13 / 7
Peripheral: 33 (23) 13
Committed: 10
Willpower: 6

Join Battle: 8 + 3 successes

Natural Soak: 4 + 2 (from Hearthstone)
Armored Soak: 5
Total Soak: 11
Hardness: 4

Parry: 6
Evasion: 3
Resolve: 4
Guile: 1

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ][ ][ ]
- 2 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
- 4 [ ]
Incapacitated

Scorpion, your defense is just in time and you manage to stave off several of her attacks as she presses you. Instead of responding to your provocation, a line of blood oozes out of the corner of her twisted smile. Her head cocks to one side in ecstasy. With each cut, she seems to be stronger and faster. Her snake-like tongue cleans up the blood oozing from her mouth.

The last slice of her daiklave nearly takes your head off. But, you manage to bend with it and use your own blade to deflect at the last second. A few of your hairs are sliced off into the night sky.

She gains 4 initiative and you lose 3 initiative.

Round 2 - Everyone gets 5m back

Her turn again.

The Dead-eyed woman presses her attack. Again, she attempts to drive you back, Scorpion. She brings an onslaught of daiklave cuts, trying to probe and find a weakness in your defense. Her black Essence grows deeper and wider, gulping at the moonlight in a bonfire of the Void.

She attempts another withering attack at 10 successes. Would you like to add to your defense?

Turn 2 Initiative:
Dead-eyed Woman 11 <---------------

Scorpion 7
Gatherer 7
Deimos 6
Gold Claws 5
Ghosts 5
Scorpioin’s Sword 4
Mountain Shadow 4
Zombies 4
Tomiko 3

Seeing that she is once more the focus of the dead eyed woman, Scorpion lets out an evil grin. Instead of falling back under the force of the blow, she unsheathes her sword and charges into the attack, letting her Daiklave slash out to take the hit instead of herself. Pressing back against the other woman's blade, she lets out a sneer. "You keep underestimating what I can do. Soon, I will stand victorious over your broken and bleeding body!" With a mighty shove, she pushes the other woman back enough to give her a step or two of room, then she once more slides Shining Ice Mirror into its sheath, standing ready to attack.
Spending 6m to raise my Parry DV to 9, and with the Stunt, it pushes me up to an 11 Parry DV.

Single Point Shining into the Void Style Form Charm and Increasing Strength Exercise active

Personal: 13 / 8
Willpower: 6

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ][ ][ ]
- 4 [ ]
Incapacitated

Scorpion, you step into the woman’s first attack and a look of shock washes over her face. You thrust, parry, and strike back and forth. Your dance kicks up dirt and takes chunks out of walls. At each step, you match blow for blow. She grits her teeth as her anima banner burns inky black around her.

And then, it’s your turn, Scorpion.

Turn 2 Initiative:
Dead-eyed Woman 11
Scorpion 7 <---------------
Gatherer 7
Deimos 6
Gold Claws 5
Ghosts 5
Scorpioin’s Sword 4
Mountain Shadow 4
Zombies 4
Tomiko 3

Turn 3 Initiative:
Dead-eyed Woman 11

Last edited:
With the smile still on her face, Scorpion is actually looking forward to this fight. "Not bad. Not bad at all. This is going to be a fun match-up." For just a moment, her hand seems to caress the hilt of the Daiklave on her hip, then with a sharp feint to the right, she then ducks back to the left and releases the sword to do its deadly work. At first, she seems to be moving in slow motion, then the feeling shatters as Scorpion lashes out with tremendous speed, trying to drive the other woman back on her heels and prepare her for a proper finishing strike.
Performing a Withering attack. Spending 8m on my Martial Arts Excellency to boost my pool. I'll add a Willpower point to get a total of two Auto sucesses.
Dex (5) + Martial Arts (6) + Excellency (8) + Accuracy (3) Stunt (2) = 24 dice

16 Successes.

Willpower: 6 / 5

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ][ ][ ]
- 4 [ ]
Incapacitated

Last edited:
Scorpion, you take her by surprise again. You can see it in her face. As you press the attack, her ability to parry your strikes begins to wear. You back her to a wall and she barely gets her sword up to defend against yours.

Her defense removes 11 successes. You hit with threshold successes of 4. Her soak/hardness is 15/10. Roll your damage.

Last edited:
Scorpion, your last strike almost opens her chest, if not for her own blade. The fight has begun to tilt in your favor. You can feel the momentum building.

She loses 3 initiative and you gain 4 initiative.

Gatherer, your turn.

Turn 2 Initiative:
Dead-eyed Woman 11
Scorpion 7
Gatherer 7 <---------------
Deimos 6
Gold Claws 5
Ghosts 5
Scorpioin’s Sword 4
Mountain Shadow 4
Zombies 4
Tomiko 3

Turn 3 Initiative:
Scorpion 11
Dead-eyed Woman 8

Emboldened by her previous successful attack, Gatherer swirls between the zombies, ducking under their slow attacks, and trying to land as many blows as possible on them, slicing them with her war fan, and feeling the excitement of battle, like she hasn't felt before.

2 successes assuming a 1-die stunt.

Gatherer, you wade into the zombies, fan flashing.

You hit, 0 threshold (their evasion is 2). Roll you damage against soak 5, hardness 0.

Gatherer, you manage to land a few blows on the twenty or so zombies left, but you do no lasting damage. They’re unfazed and continue toward you or into the town.

Deimos, you’re up!

Turn 2 Initiative:
Dead-eyed Woman 11
Scorpion 7
Gatherer 7
Deimos 6 <---------------
Gold Claws 5
Ghosts 5
Scorpioin’s Sword 4
Mountain Shadow 4
Zombies 4
Tomiko 3

Turn 3 Initiative:
Scorpion 11
Dead-eyed Woman 8
Gatherer 7

Last edited:
"Damned undead monster!" Deimos couldn't believe Bloody Reeds had been able to parry his superior spear throw, and stood dumbfounded for a moment after the deflection. This reflection did not last long however; it ended as he watched multiple unknown individuals jump down from the rooftops to engage the undead hoard. His cadre of soldiers also crashed forward, pushing fiercely against waves of biting, ripping, and gashing. Skilled as they were, the troops would need his leadership if they were going to defeat the light-draining enemy standing against them.

Deimos' castemark shone bright, the disk on his brow exploding into a massive blaze of light and power. A lion with a pelt of white and gold emerged around the Zenith from the holy flames, leaping forward and releasing a deafening howl as the Solar shouted his commands. "Forward men! Cut low these undead monsters and their horrific master! Death shall not claim the people of this village tonight, 'lest we lie with them!"

Willpower: 7
Personal: 13/13
Peripheral: 15/28 (33)
Committed: 5

Natural Soak: 2
Total Soak: 7

Parry DV: 6
Evasion DV: 2
Resolve: 3
Guile: 2

Join Battle: 8 +1 + 3 successes

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ][ ]
- 2 [ ][ ][ ]
- 4 [ ]
Inc [ ]

[Essence cost: 10m (War Excellency) + 3m (Ideal Battle Knowledge Prana)]
[Command 'Order' roll: 5 (Charisma) + 5 (War) + 1 (Specialty) + 2 (Stunt) + 10 (Charm) = 19 Successes - Difficulty 1 = 18 Threshold Successes]

Last edited:
Deimos, your voice and words push your men into a blood craze. They smash into the small units of war ghosts and zombies, slashing and stabbing. They’re battle cry fills the town over the sounds of battle.

The Gold Claws are unable to cut down many of haunted armor, but are engaged in combat with them. The zombies, on the other hand, do not have a chance. The remaining half of them after Gatherer’s attacks are slaughtered. Rotting corpses line the streets.

The ghostly armor push back and cut into the Gold Claws’ lines. Several of them fall, but they hold and keep the ghosts at bay. (3 magnitude damage, I’m keeping track)

It’s Scorpioin’s sword’s turn.

Turn 2 Initiative:
Dead-eyed Woman 11
Scorpion 7
Gatherer 7
Deimos 6
Gold Claws 5
Ghosts 5
Scorpioin’s Sword 4 <---------------
Mountain Shadow 4
Zombies 4
Tomiko 3

Turn 3 Initiative:
Scorpion 11
Dead-eyed Woman 8
Gatherer 7
Gold Claws 5
Ghosts 5

Scorpion slides her feet across the ground in a sinuous dance with the other woman, aware of but ignoring the fighting around her. This dark Exalt is taking all of her focus in order to take her down. In a casual tone of voice, Scorpion asks, "What is your name? I would like to know who I am fighting. And who trained you? Your skills are rather impressive."

With another burst of speed, her sword leaps from the scabbard faster than the mortal eye could follow. A powerful series of swings powers forward, driving her farther and farther off balance, setting up the dead eyed woman for a much more deadly attack. With a wave of crashing Jade, Scorpion's powerful blows strike with the strength of an avalanche.
Activating Liquid Steel Flow (5m), and spending another 8m on my Martial Arts Excellency and a Willpower point to boost my die pool. If I hit, LSF adds my Dexterity to the base damage done for the rest of the Scene until I make a Decisive attack.

Dex 5 + MA 6 + Charm 8 + Acc 3 + Stunt 2 = 24 dice.

20 Successes to hit

Peripheral: 33 (23) / 0
Willpower: 6 / 4

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ][ ][ ]
- 4 [ ]
Incapacitated

Last edited:
Scorpion, the dead-eyed woman’s aura explodes with power. It’s like a black flame reaching to the sky and fills the town street. The ground around her begins to wilt and gray. The aura leaves black marks where it touches.

You can see the reason for her burst in power. She’s on overdrive matching your strikes with her blade. Each of your swings is met with furious defense. With each parry, you can see her slowing. Her defense begins to thin...

Her parry defense has reached 11 again. You’re left with a 9 threshold successes. Her soak/hardness is 15/10. Roll your damage.

Scorpion, like lighting, your strikes crash against the woman’s blade. Your last few swings she parries, but only well enough to keep them from cutting her in two. She bends with the power of your attacks until your last swing knocks her backward. She rolls with it back to her feet and slides backward a few yards.

Mountain Shadow, your turn.

Turn 2 Initiative:
Dead-eyed Woman 11
Scorpion 7
Gatherer 7
Deimos 6
Gold Claws 5
Ghosts 5
Scorpioin’s Sword 4
Mountain Shadow 4 <---------------
Zombies 4
Tomiko 3

Turn 3 Initiative:
Scorpion 11
Scorpioin’s Sword 11
Gatherer 7
Gold Claws 5
Ghosts 5
Dead-eyed Woman 1

Last edited:
Mountain Shadow continues his onsalught against the zombies. Doing what he can as his fists last out, occasional kicks joining in as he seeks to break or damage all the animated corpses within his reach. Feeling the essence frlow through him as he continues his attacks. Where he can, he uses his strikes to drive the dead into others to make them off balance and more so give himself that much more room for him to work as a blur of powerful limbs in motion. His fists hardening now as he pours more essence in to strike like he had true weapons.

(Brawl Exellecy +6 dice, Fist of Iron Technique) (Personal: 6/13)

Mountain Shadow, you leap into the fray with the ghosts. You’re a flurry of fists and kicks. The specters seem to flow around your destructive wake. You’re able to pulverize nearly half their number.

You took a point of size from their group and thus receive a initiative break bonus of +5.

Tomiko, it is your turn!

Turn 2 Initiative:
Dead-eyed Woman 11
Scorpion 7
Gatherer 7
Deimos 6
Gold Claws 5
Ghosts 5
Scorpioin’s Sword 4
Mountain Shadow 4
Zombies 4
Tomiko 3 <---------------

Turn 3 Initiative:
Scorpion 11
Scorpioin’s Sword 11
Mountain Shadow 9
Gatherer 7
Gold Claws 5
Ghosts 5
Dead-eyed Woman 1

Pulling at the energies of Creation around her, Tomiko weaves together strands of Essence into a cohesive tapestry of violent death. With her hands held high, she releases the pent-up power vibrating inside of her, directing thousands of small Obsidian Butterflies out to ravage the war ghosts.
Casting Death of Obsidian Butterflies at the Ghosts, with 5m spent on my Occult Excellency to make sure I don't blow this shot.

Rolling Perception + Occult as an Undodgeable attack. Total of 10 Successes against their DV. Battle Groups are at a -2 to their Defense against the spell.

Ten Sorcerous Motes generated out of my target of 15 last round,
Nine more generated, releasing the spell and returning 1 WP to me.

Willpower: 8
Personal: 13
Peripheral: 33 (20) / 10
Committed: 13

Natural Soak: 3
Total Soak: 8

Parry DV: 4
Evasion DV: 3
Resolve: 2
Guile: 3

Join Battle: 4 + 3 successes

Virtuous Guardian of Flame
Parry DV: 6
Perception: 10
Soak: 6
Hardness: 1
Health Levels: - 0 x 6

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ]
- 2 [ ][ ]
- 4 [ ]
Incapacitated

Tomiko, your obsidian butterflies fill the air like horizontal rain. A torrent of black glass smashes windows, cuts down plants, and scathes building walls. Many of the ghosts attempt to parry the flying shards with their weapons, shields, or heavy gauntlets.

They hav parry DV 4 after the -2. 6 successes are your threshold successes. Roll damage.

Damage roll for Tomiko's Obsidian Butterflies.
13 Dice - 6 successes!

I miscalculated: It should be 14 dice. I forgot that Dragon Blooded start out at Essence 2. 7 Successes!
Nevermind that. I had characters from two different games mixed up. It is only six successes.

Last edited:
Tomiko, your spell fills the streets and annihilates the animated amor of the ghosts. Shreds of steel and leather crumble to the ground where once floating aegis pressed the attack. With nothing to animate as a weapon or armor, the ghosts are sure to return to the Underworld.

You gain +5 initiative from the initiative break bonus as you did size damage to them.

Round 3 - Everyone gets 5m back

Scorpion, you’re up!

Turn 3 Initiative:
Scorpion 11 <---------------

Scorpioin’s Sword 11
Mountain Shadow 9
Tomiko 8
Gatherer 7
Gold Claws 5
Dead-eyed Woman 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back