• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Sorrow’s Reach - Exalted 3e

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Feeling some relief, Scorpion lets out a sigh. No needless slaughter today. But how is it that a beggar can gather such numbers to confront us? Perhaps there is more to him than meets the eye. She sets off after the man, moving quickly to catch up to him. "Wait. Can I ask you some questions? Who are you, and why do you think that we are here to do you and your people harm?"

Scorpion, you catch up to the beggar. At your words, he stops, but doesn’t turn toward you.

“Some of the Creation may embrace your kind with open arms,” he says after a pregnant pause passes between you. “Some may even call you ‘savior’ or ‘hero’. But, I know better. I have seen the evil you and your brothers and sisters wrought on innocents. I have seen the corruption with my own eyes. You people are no heroes. You’re the demons they speak of. Given enough time, you will live up to your true name, Anathema.” At that, he begins to walk away again.

Meanwhile back at the Temple, farmers that had been following the beggar collect their families and join the townsfolk inside. It seems that all is prepared for the coming battle.

What are you doing now?

Mountain Shadow had lingered, in case of trouble. Seeing that words had won out, he makes his next round of circle checks before coming back to the others with a sigh.

"Well, that could have been ugly. Guess I'm glad I didn't have to put in my line of expertise yet." He looks towards the others.

Tomiko let out a sigh of relief. After all, they were there hoping to keep a slaughter from happening, not cause one of their own. Thankfully Scorpion has a very commanding personality and worked the crowds quite well. "I wonder why those people were so intent on harming us."

Gatherer looks at her fellow Solars and quips "I would be slow to trust strangers who came into my 'village' and claimed that we had best evacuate it, or leave it's defense to their mercy while we huddle in a single building."

The moon stares down from her high perch in the evening sky. A chill fills the air replacing the previous warm breezes. The silence is deafening. And then, all at once, you hear them. Their sounds are like dread music carried through the still fields as they move through them. Strained moans and groans that have no pattern fill the night.

F473C170-84F6-47AC-967A-B2C88C6E7FD8.jpegThose who are perched on the rooftops see them first. Around thirty zombies fill the front rank and shamble toward the town. Behind them, a similar number of floating suits of armor glide over the ground possessed by ghosts. Behind them is a simple wagon drawn by silent rotting horses. Old corpses are piled in the back of the wagon. Atop the driver’s seat stands a horror of a woman. She has dead eyes, white skin, and her armor seems to be made of undulating faces calling out in eternal pain. Her reaper diaklave drinks in what little light is left in the evening and, if you look at it too long, seems to hold an infinite abyss in the blade.

The zombies and possessed armor split into two columns made of half of each and filter into the main street. The wagon follows.

You have an ambush (they have defense 0) followed by three rounds of surprise attacks (their defense is -2).

Roll join battle.

Scorpion smiles at the sight of all the walking dead, a evil smile full of potential for mayhem. Eyeing the figure with the dead eyes, she tried her best to evaluate her opponent.
Total Initiative score of 10

Essence: 1
Personal: 13
Peripheral: 33 (23)
Committed: 10
Willpower: 6

Join Battle: 8 + 3 successes

Natural Soak: 4 + 2 (from Hearthstone)
Armored Soak: 5
Total Soak: 11
Hardness: 4

Parry: 6
Evasion: 3
Resolve: 4
Guile: 1

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ][ ][ ]
- 2 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
- 4 [ ]
Incapacitated

Tomiko will look to her fellow Solars and say, "I know a spell that might be able to clear out some of the rabble in one fell swoop. Keep out of the line of fire, and watch your step." As she prepares to initiate the spell, she will look over the assembled dead with her Burning Eye of the Deliverer to see what Charms may be in use by the leader of the undead forces.
Initiative rating of 3, and a total of two successes on my Perception roll

Willpower: 8
Peripheral: 33 (20)
Committed: 13

Natural Soak: 3
Total Soak: 8

Parry DV: 4
Evasion DV: 3
Resolve: 2
Guile: 3

Join Battle: 4 + 3 successes

Virtuous Guardian of Flame
Parry DV: 6
Perception: 10
Soak: 6
Hardness: 1
Health Levels: - 0 x 6

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ]
- 2 [ ][ ]
- 4 [ ]
Incapacitated

The blue-white light of the risen moon shone down upon Deimos as he observed the shambling monsters and their decrepit wagon. He could see some kind of figure atop the wagon directing the horrific parade into the nearby village, and wondered if perhaps his nemesis was finally within reach. Yet the distance was too great and the figure too obscured in darkness to verify if it was actually Bloody Reeds. The Zenith commander turned back and silently crept through the tall crops of corn, carefully moving their crinkling leaves and stiff stalks until he reached his waiting men.

The loyal mercenaries looked up at the return of their commander, optimistic that he had spotted their mark out beyond the fields. The expression on his face dashed their hopes though, and he shook his head as he greeted them.

"There is definitely something out there leading the dead-ones," Deimos told the assembled soldiers. "I can't be sure if it is him though. We'll just have to continue with the mission as planned."

"We're wit you, to the end."

Deimos nodded in reply, then began leading the men quietly to the edge of the corn rows and out across the barren moonlit fields. They moved slowly and close to the ground, using the sparse vegetation and occasional patch of wheat for cover as best they could. Deimos knew it was imperative they not draw attention to themselves before closing with the enemy. An engagement in the village would allow his men to box in their foe and discount their greater numbers, but a fight in the fields could allow the undead's greater numbers to crash over them and break apart battle lines.

Charm Used:
Cost: 3m; Mins: Thrown 3, Essence 1
Type: Supplemental
Keywords: None
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: Steel Storm Descending
- This Charm adds a single automatic success to the Solar's Join Battle roll, and then treats her roll as if she scored (Essence +1) additional successes for the purpose of determining attack order in the first round of combat.

Willpower: 7
Personal: 10/13
Peripheral: 28/28 (33)
Committed: 5

Natural Soak: 2
Total Soak: 7

Parry DV: 5
Evasion DV: 2
Resolve: 3
Guile: 2

Join Battle: 8 +1 + 3 successes

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ][ ]
- 2 [ ][ ][ ]
- 4 [ ]
Inc [ ]

[Join Battle: Wits (4) + Awareness (4) + Merit (1) = 4 Successes + Charm (1) = 5 Successes + 3i = 8 Initiative]

Last edited:
Gatherer gathered what courage she had, but she didn't relish this coming battle. She knew well that she was probably the least combatant of the group, and would fare well maybe against the shambling zombies, and even that wasn't a sure thing. She was definitely more suited to the courts than this rough and tumble. But maybe she needed to ask Scorpion for pointers, if she survived this battle. She also knew that whatever happens, she must show her fellow Solars that she could be useful besides talking their heads off.

Initiative of 6

The zombies, ghosts, and corpse wagon press down the main road heading for the town square. They're in the perfect position for your ambush.

Scorpion and Deimos, you have the initiative. It's your turn.

(Just so you guys know, I'm going to track initiative change by marking your initiate for next turn before we get there. Let me know if you have any questions on how I'm doing that.)

Turn 1 Initiative:
Scorpion 10 <---------------

Deimos 8 (10)
Dead-eyed Woman 9
Gatherer 6
Scorpioin’s Sword 6
Gold Claws 5
Ghosts 5
Mountain Shadow 4
Zombies 4
Tomiko 3

Turn 2 Initiative:

Last edited:
Scorpion looks out at the throngs of the dead that are slowly approaching, and she knows that the weight of numbers are against them. But they are Solar Exalted, and it will take more than this to bring them to their knees. Doing her best to not shoot a glance over at Tomiko, she knows that for her spells to work, it may take some time to prepare. I must buy her the time she needs to do what she can in order to save these people. With that, she takes a few steps forward (but not far enough to be too far in front of the Twilight and whatever spell she has planned) and places her hand upon the hilt of her sword without drawing it from the scabbard.

Calling out, she shouts, "You there! The one with the dead eyes! Come no farther! The line has been drawn, and your murderous rampage comes to an end this evening, here in this small village. I am Scorpion, and my blade will cut through you like a scythe through wheat. Before I strike, I would know who you are, and why you have come here intent on the deaths of these people."
Activating Single Point Shining into the Void Style Form Charm for 10m from Personal Essence, and Increasing Strength Exercise to boost my Strength by one, and will once more use Harmonious Presence Meditation to call out to the woman with the dead eyes. - 6 successes

Personal: 13 / 3
Peripheral: 33 (23)
Committed: 10
Willpower: 6

Join Battle: 8 + 3 successes

Natural Soak: 4 + 2 (from Hearthstone)
Total Soak: 11
Hardness: 4

Parry: 6
Evasion: 3
Resolve: 4
Guile: 1

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ][ ][ ]
- 2 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
- 4 [ ]
Incapacitated

Last edited:
Deimos' brow wrinkled, curiosity crossing his face as a voice called out within the village. From his position outside the hamlet he could not tell what exactly they were yelling, but he could only imagine they were pleading for mercy from their undead assailants.

The Solar smirked, figuring such actions would make a useful distraction for his own plan. He used hand gestures to signal his soldiers to hold their position, and then crept in amongst the outer limits of the village. [Movement into Short Range]

Taking a deep breath, he hoist the great golden spear Löwenklaue above his shoulder and stood as his eyes locked onto his target. His short-spear pointed readily towards the undead commander, and Deimos could feel the blood rushing in his ears as his heart beat quickened. Finally, Bloody Reeds would answer for his monstrous crimes.

"Fall prey to the claws of the lion, undead filth!" Deimos stepped forcefully into his strike, moving quickly off his right foot and planting his left in the dirt to better thrust the weapon across open air towards his foe. His caste mark began to glow powerfully upon his forehead as the spear flew loose from his palm, a golden disk emanating his authority as a Lawgiver of the Sun.

Charms Used:
Thrown Excellency
Joint-Wounding Attack

Willpower: 7
Personal: 10/13
Peripheral: 17/28 (33)
Committed: 5

Natural Soak: 2
Total Soak: 7

Parry DV: 6
Evasion DV: 2
Resolve: 3
Guile: 2

Join Battle: 8 +1 + 3 successes

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ][ ]
- 2 [ ][ ][ ]
- 4 [ ]
Inc [ ]

[Essence/WP Costs: Thrown Excellency (8m), Joint-Wounding Attack (3m), Willpower (1)]
[Thrown Decisive Attack: Dexterity (4) + Thrown (4) + Stunt (2) + Charm (8) + Willpower (1) = 11 Successes]

Last edited:
Mountain Shadow was poised and waiting, his big frame crept atop, ready to move in. He was looking for a good point to leap in and start breaking the dead. This was going to be quite the rush, that was for sure. He feels the thrill of combat upon them, the joy of a surprise attack that he savored so very much as he draws in essence. His already impressive, powerful frame seeming to bulk slightly as he builds his strength for the attack. He knew where their occult type was, aiming for the other to give clearance for any sorcerous efforts.

(Increasing Strength Exercise - 3 motes)

Join Battle: 4

Scorpion, you step out and make your declaration. The Dead-Eyed Woman’s gaze snaps to you. The corner of her mouth struggles into a crude smile. She’s about to say something in response—

TING!!! SMASH!!

Deimos’ spear, faster than lightning, is impossibly parried by the Dead-Eyed Woman’s daiklave. She’s thrown airborne as the deflected Löwenklaue smashes the cart to splinters. The woman lands in a crouch with a look of shock. She stands and waits to see what else reveals itself. A look of anger washes over her face. [Deimos, you lose 2 initiative.]

Unfazed, the undead continue marching forward in the street.

Gatherer, it’s your turn.

Turn 1 Initiative:
Scorpion 10
Deimos 8 (10)
Dead-eyed Woman 9 (delay)

Gatherer 6 <---------------
Scorpioin’s Sword 6
Gold Claws 5
Ghosts 5
Mountain Shadow 4
Zombies 4
Tomiko 3

Turn 2 Initiative:
Scorpion 10
Dead-eyed Woman 7
Deimos 6

Last edited:
Leaving the Dead-Eyed Woman to those whoa re well versed in battle, Gatherer gathers her courage, and lashes at the closest zombie with her war fan, doing a kicking feint towards it's chin, only to try and catch it with a gash at it's chest with her war fan. Father did tell me that it is best to aim for the larger mass of an opponent. At least I remember that.

2 successes (3 with a 1-point stunt)

Gatherer, the ghosts and zombies are considered battle groups.

You attempt to keep distance, but zombies press forward. The stench is unbearable. Roll stamina + resistance at difficulty 2 to avoid getting sick from the smell. The zombies attempt to shamble out of the way of you slashes, but it’s not enough.

With your stunt, you hit with 1 die. Roll your damage against soak 3.

Gatherer snorted when the zombie's stench reached her nose. That god-awful stench was worse than she expected, but at least her war fan connected, and dealt some damage.

Her breath was easier after her war fan connected, as it seemed to have scattered some of that smell.

5 successes on Stamina + Resistance.

7 Successes on damage.

Gatherer, you move between the zombies, flashing back and forth, cutting and slicing. You flow between them like an elegant wave of crimson. Several of the dead are knocked down. Others are cut down completely. Though they’re relentless, you’ve begun to thin their numbers and halt their progress.

You gain 1 initiative for your successful attack.

Next up is Scorpion’s sword’s turn.

Turn 1 Initiative:
Scorpion 10
Deimos 8 (10)
Gatherer 6
Scorpioin’s Sword 6 <---------------
Gold Claws 5
Ghosts 5
Mountain Shadow 4
Zombies 4
Tomiko 3

Turn 2 Initiative:
Scorpion 10
Dead-eyed Woman 7
Gatherer 7
Deimos 6

With her eye on the woman with the dead eyes, Scorpion begins to prepare her mind for the upcoming battle. Her hand lies on the hilt of the blade, gently caressing the finely woven fabric. Soon, you will taste her blood.
Performing an Aim action against the woman.

That brings us to the Gold Claws turn.

What orders do you give them, Deimos?

Turn 1 Initiative:
Scorpion 10
Deimos 8 (10)
Gatherer 6
Scorpioin’s Sword 6
Gold Claws 5 <---------------
Ghosts 5
Mountain Shadow 4
Zombies 4
Tomiko 3

Turn 2 Initiative:
Scorpion 10
Dead-eyed Woman 7
Gatherer 7
Deimos 6
Scorpioin’s Sword 4

The Gold Claws surge forward in a charge that filters into the streets and smashes into the lines of ghosts. Their battlecires fill the town. 100 men begin battling the unearthly animated armor of their ghost foes. Some of the fighting spills into the ranks of the zombies. The ghosts are pressed back and many of the floating armors are destroyed and cast down.

The lines of animated armor attempt to counter-attack, but the Gold Claws battle prowess keep them at bay.

That brings us to Mountain Shadow. It’s your turn.

Turn 1 Initiative:
Scorpion 10
Deimos 8 (10)
Gatherer 6
Scorpioin’s Sword 6
Gold Claws 5
Ghosts 5
Mountain Shadow 4 <---------------
Zombies 4
Tomiko 3

Turn 2 Initiative:
Scorpion 10
Dead-eyed Woman 7
Gatherer 7
Deimos 6
Gold Claws 5
Ghosts 5
Scorpioin’s Sword 4

Mountain Shadow watched the unfolding mayhem, looking for an ideal opening from his rooftop perch. His body sang with a desire to press in on his foes and lay them low. He elects to take a deep breath of the still fresh air before launching himself into the ranks of the zombies. Holding his breath to halt distraction for the moment. He's smelled death but could tell the were rank with rot. His fists moving with powerful determination and precision that the hulking assassin was known for in those circle who had employed him.

Mountain Shadow, you dive into the zombies, headlong. You’re fists find their mark several times, but not well enough to have on effect. The sea of dead seem to swirl around you like a rotting wave of hands and mouths. You’re lifted and smashed through the front of a house on the street with the dead pressing in behind you.

Gatherer & Mountain, the zombies surge forward and attempt to rend you and eat your flesh. Thousands of hands and mouth grasp and snap at your body...

Zombie attack on you both, 1 success.

You're both able to keep away from the horde of dead with ease. With each snap or thrust, you side-step, parry, and melt away form their attacks.

Tomiko, it's your turn!

Turn 1 Initiative:
Scorpion 10
Deimos 8 (10)
Gatherer 6
Scorpioin’s Sword 6
Gold Claws 5
Ghosts 5
Mountain Shadow 4
Zombies 4
Tomiko 3 <---------------

Turn 2 Initiative:
Scorpion 10
Dead-eyed Woman 7
Gatherer 7
Deimos 6
Gold Claws 5
Ghosts 5
Scorpioin’s Sword 4
Mountain Shadow 4
Zombies 4

Last edited:
Tomiko looks out at the mass of dead and gives off a smile. They are all massed together. Excellent. Taking a moment to close her eyes and focus her strength, the sorcerer begins to shape the energies of Creation around her into a spell that will be quite devastating to the dual groups of dead. I must get this spell off quickly before they scatter, or let a one of us into the line of fire. Giving her spell a little extra umph with a burst of her own Essence, Tomiko begins to craft the spell.
Ten Sorcerous Motes generated out of my target of 15

Willpower: 8 / 7
Peripheral: 33 (20) / 10
Committed: 13

Natural Soak: 3
Total Soak: 8

Parry DV: 4
Evasion DV: 3
Resolve: 2