• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Resource Soo...where have you coders learned your craft?

Nobelia

I'm thinking about getting into coding the likes of what's presented in this side of the forum, but I'm lost as to where or how most of the really good coders on here learned to code? I'm assuming online classes or something to that extent?

having a layout in mind or something of the such and then reading through 17 lines of other coders' work to figure out what will make said layout happen,,,
and googling about how certain things in html/css works and hoping it works the same for bbcode+ ( ◞・౪・)
i suppose doing a class or something of the like may be more efficient, but this way worked best for me ( ᐛ )و

having a layout in mind or something of the such and then reading through 17 lines of other coders' work to figure out what will make said layout happen,,,
and googling about how certain things in html/css works and hoping it works the same for bbcode+ ( ◞・౪・)
i suppose doing a class or something of the like may be more efficient, but this way worked best for me ( ᐛ )و

That's nice. I've seen coders everywhere young and old--so I doubted they were all "in" on this one class with superb instructors, lol. I guess it's a matter of finding the right resources.

I've had kind of a mixed background. My basics for programming from being a self taught TI-84+ programmer, but strictly web design, it's both from a 3 week summer camp I took in middle school and just general self teaching when I learned about CSS Code injection from the early days of BBCode. Almost of all of my coding is self taught through wiki articles or just reading the spec sheet, like MDN and W3C.

If I was to be more specific about how I learned to do BBCode, I'd say disassembling other member's codes, like Fable Fable and fluticasone fluticasone , for the basic understanding. The BBCode Guide was helpful, but I think i learned more from just other members taking apart the code. Nowadays, it's just me going back and forth between fluticasone fluticasone and MDN.

Edit:
BBScript on the other hand is a whole other mess. Holy crap. Ended up asking Lyro Lyro everything in the book and cracking open my old notes on JS to figure that out. Once i knew the basics for each command though, my old programming background kicked in and was able to treat it like my old TI-84+.

I've been learning HTML/CSS since I was 8, and I'm 22 now. LOL The first place I learnt to rp on used html inline styling for their posts and CSS on profiles, and I really wanted a certain appearance for my shit, so I learnt. I was mostly self-taught until I got to college, where I majored in internet design. I realized that I prefer the coding part of it, so I shifted to computer science.

That being said, most HTML/CSS classes I took while studying formally was stuff I already learnt back when I was teaching myself. Most formal classes cover basics, so if you wanna do anything fancier, I usually search around stackoverflow to see if anyone's already attempted what I wanted to do. LOL There are a lot of resources on the internet that are aimed towards complete newbies who want to learn. MDN is actually a really good place to understand the principles and logic behind attributes. w3schools, meanwhile, is better for grabbing the basic syntax of something (i usually use it when I just wanna figure out the shorthand of something like the background property LOL)

If you're referring to BBScipt, that's going to require a bit of algorithm design on your part and will just be practice in every sense of the word. You need to understand how to use your input and get the output you want. This is really just trying to understand how the parser works and interprets what you're trying to do. Alteras Alteras and I explain most of our shit, and we're open to questions in any of our threads as to how we achieve certain things. snippets is a good place for shorter codes you wanna learn.

im not a giant nerd like Alteras Alteras who learnt how to code on a calculator

Last edited:
I've been learning HTML/CSS since I was 8, and I'm 22 now. LOL The first place I learnt to rp on used html inline styling for their posts and CSS on profiles, and I really wanted a certain appearance for my shit, so I learnt. I was mostly self-taught until I got to college, where I majored in internet design. I realized that I prefer the coding part of it, so I shifted to computer science.

That being said, most HTML/CSS classes I took while studying formally was stuff I already learnt back when I was teaching myself. Most formal classes cover basics, so if you wanna do anything fancier, I usually search around stackoverflow to see if anyone's already attempted what I wanted to do. LOL There are a lot of resources on the internet that are aimed towards complete newbies who want to learn. MDN is actually a really good place to understand the principles and logic behind attributes. w3schools, meanwhile, is better for grabbing the basic syntax of something (i usually use it when I just wanna figure out the shorthand of something like the background property LOL)

If you're referring to BBScipt, that's going to require a bit of algorithm design on your part and will just be practice in every sense of the word. You need to understand use your input and get the output you want. This is really just trying to understand how the parser works and interprets what you're trying to do. Alteras Alteras and I explain most of our shit, and we're open to questions in any of our threads as to how we achieve certain things. snippets is a good place for shorter codes you wanna learn.

tfw you have direct access to the parser but still don't understand what the bbscript is doing.

I started programming proper when I was about 10, with some Java. Around the same time, I was also hosting a website for me and my friends, so I began to learn HTML/CSS/JS and PHP for that, adding a forum, a wiki, a webmail, etc. The rest was learned gradually over the course of several years as I tried new languages and set myself new challenges.

Like others said, I recommend really looking into online resources to understand how something works. MDN is a very good resource, one which is by necessity kept up-to-date with the latest changes.

I am self-taught and started around I believe 12 or so. I made my own little crappy websites on free web domains at first, then got a copy of Dreamweaver and learned fiddling around with that, proceeded to look at the code of things I thought were interesting and messed around with the privately to learn what things did, followed by using the massive amount of online resources there is these days. I'm not as advanced as Alteras Alteras , fluticasone fluticasone , or Lyro Lyro though and do bother them for help when I just can't grasp a coding concept and how the most efficient way to to do.

I've had kind of a mixed background. My basics for programming from being a self taught TI-84+ programmer, but strictly web design, it's both from a 3 week summer camp I took in middle school and just general self teaching when I learned about CSS Code injection from the early days of BBCode. Almost of all of my coding is self taught through wiki articles or just reading the spec sheet, like MDN and W3C.

If I was to be more specific about how I learned to do BBCode, I'd say disassembling other member's codes, like Fable Fable and fluticasone fluticasone , for the basic understanding. The BBCode Guide was helpful, but I think i learned more from just other members taking apart the code. Nowadays, it's just me going back and forth between fluticasone fluticasone and MDN.

Edit:
BBScript on the other hand is a whole other mess. Holy crap. Ended up asking Lyro Lyro everything in the book and cracking open my old notes on JS to figure that out. Once i knew the basics for each command though, my old programming background kicked in and was able to treat it like my old TI-84+.
That's interesting--it seems most people just teach themselves. How do you remember all the functions in the codes as well as their uses? I imagine its a matter of practice. 0:

If you're referring to BBScipt, that's going to require a bit of algorithm design on your part and will just be practice in every sense of the word. You need to understand how to use your input and get the output you want. This is really just trying to understand how the parser works and interprets what you're trying to do. Alteras Alteras and I explain most of our shit, and we're open to questions in any of our threads as to how we achieve certain things. snippets is a good place for shorter codes you wanna learn.

Lol, I'm trying to imagine coding on a calculator and that sounds like some otherworldly stuff. But thanks for the in-depth answer, I really appreciate it! <:

I am self-taught and started around I believe 12 or so. I made my own little crappy websites on free web domains at first, then got a copy of Dreamweaver and learned fiddling around with that, proceeded to look at the code of things I thought were interesting and messed around with the privately to learn what things did, followed by using the massive amount of online resources there is these days. I'm not as advanced as Alteras Alteras , fluticasone fluticasone , or Lyro Lyro though and do bother them for help when I just can't grasp a coding concept and how the most efficient way to to do.

I never knew that coding could be picked up at such a young age, haha. I wonder if sometime in the future--children making codes would be a common occurrence. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

That's interesting--it seems most people just teach themselves. How do you remember all the functions in the codes as well as their uses? I imagine its a matter of practice. 0:
It's mostly practice, but if the creators of the coding language you are using are nice enough, the function of the code is deduce-able from the name. Like in HTML/CSS, width means the width of the element, in TI-Basic While means while something is this, run something else, and in BBCode, [img][/img] displays an image.

Lol, I'm trying to imagine coding on a calculator and that sounds like some otherworldly stuff. But thanks for the in-depth answer, I really appreciate it! <:
See fluticasone fluticasone !!! It's otherworldly. Don't hate on my TI-84+!!!

I don't consider myself suuuuuuper good, but I've got comfortable enough with it to be more daring AND make things mobile compatible, which for me is a hell of a victory!

I learned from scratch, started by testing and knowing all the BBCode things RPN offered me and then I began putting them together, in really basic levels (my first post layout ever only had heightrestrict, google fonts, font colors and a side box. Said side-box also got fancier with time since I gave it borders too). One thing that was a bit frustrating but sorta helped was when RPN changed from Xenforo to IPS and the code for that one was HTML not BBCode.

I say frustrating because that meant that I suddenly had a whole new language to learn, but it helped because HTML is rather limitless, Also OP as heck, and it could do things that I would have never imagined coding could. Learning the magic of divs was the first big step towards bolder projects since it gave me the option to stack boxes, change opacity, move elements around as I pleased and much more. Then RPN came back to Xenforo and BBCode but now with actual divs implemented, so my HTML knowledge wasn't useless anymore, I had some new tools to my disposition.

And that was the point where my creations got a little more complex. First totally not mobile friendly, these days, I take mobile readability (and theme compatibility) as a priority for the things I do.

What I often do is take coding from other people, save it on my workshop and tamper around with it. Seeing how others have achieved this or that effect and then trying to accomplish the same (and eventually succeeding!) is a good way to take it. I see BBCode as a hobby, something that for me is fun, fascinating and though complex, makes me feel really accomplished when this weird idea I had in mind could actually be done into a code.

When I had to learn HTML from scratch, I used W3schools and followed every class and exercise to the letter. Is also a good website to have when you've forgotten how to do something and needs a brief reminder~

The new thing I've learned and have been using a bunch lately is flexboxes, though I haven't tried actually shrinking or expanding content with it yet, just wrapped elements so that they go from a line to columns in mobile mode >w<

But yeah, all I can say is if you want to learn coding, you just gotta do it! Tutorials and such can help but trying things yourself are bound to give you a better insight on how they work (I've broken things so many times, that when I see a broken code I have a clear idea of why it broke and how to fix it at this point. I fix codes for friends a lot~). Trial and error is the name of the game here!

I don't consider myself suuuuuuper good, but I've got comfortable enough with it to be more daring AND make things mobile compatible, which for me is a hell of a victory!

I learned from scratch, started by testing and knowing all the BBCode things RPN offered me and then I began putting them together, in really basic levels (my first post layout ever only had heightrestrict, google fonts, font colors and a side box. Said side-box also got fancier with time since I gave it borders too). One thing that was a bit frustrating but sorta helped was when RPN changed from Xenforo to IPS and the code for that one was HTML not BBCode.

I say frustrating because that meant that I suddenly had a whole new language to learn, but it helped because HTML is rather limitless, Also OP as heck, and it could do things that I would have never imagined coding could. Learning the magic of divs was the first big step towards bolder projects since it gave me the option to stack boxes, change opacity, move elements around as I pleased and much more. Then RPN came back to Xenforo and BBCode but now with actual divs implemented, so my HTML knowledge wasn't useless anymore, I had some new tools to my disposition.

And that was the point where my creations got a little more complex. First totally not mobile friendly, these days, I take mobile readability (and theme compatibility) as a priority for the things I do.

What I often do is take coding from other people, save it on my workshop and tamper around with it. Seeing how others have achieved this or that effect and then trying to accomplish the same (and eventually succeeding!) is a good way to take it. I see BBCode as a hobby, something that for me is fun, fascinating and though complex, makes me feel really accomplished when this weird idea I had in mind could actually be done into a code.

When I had to learn HTML from scratch, I used W3schools and followed every class and exercise to the letter. Is also a good website to have when you've forgotten how to do something and needs a brief reminder~

The new thing I've learned and have been using a bunch lately is flexboxes, though I haven't tried actually shrinking or expanding content with it yet, just wrapped elements so that they go from a line to columns in mobile mode >w<

But yeah, all I can say is if you want to learn coding, you just gotta do it! Tutorials and such can help but trying things yourself are bound to give you a better insight on how they work (I've broken things so many times, that when I see a broken code I have a clear idea of why it broke and how to fix it at this point. I fix codes for friends a lot~). Trial and error is the name of the game here!

Sounds fun! I wonder what everyone's personal appeal to coding is -- I'm sure everyone has their own little reason. c:

I'm thinking about getting into coding the likes of what's presented in this side of the forum, but I'm lost as to where or how most of the really good coders on here learned to code? I'm assuming online classes or something to that extent?

Like you, I'm interested in coding as well. I've found this online class called cs50 on EdX. It's an intro to CS and they do introduce you to different languages. You get to apply what you've learned right away through homework, or pset as they call it. You also have the choice to audit the class or get a certificate at the end.

There's also a card deck game that I found the other day called Potato Pirates XD we have to purchase the cards, though. Looks fun!

Another website I'm using right now is freecodecamp.org.

I hope you get to start your coding journey really soon! The responses here inspired me~!

Like you, I'm interested in coding as well. I've found this online class called cs50 on EdX. It's an intro to CS and they do introduce you to different languages. You get to apply what you've learned right away through homework, or pset as they call it. You also have the choice to audit the class or get a certificate at the end.

There's also a card deck game that I found the other day called Potato Pirates XD we have to purchase the cards, though. Looks fun!

Another website I'm using right now is freecodecamp.org.

I hope you get to start your coding journey really soon! The responses here inspired me~!

Thanks so much~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back