• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Team Ichiro
Skita Skita KageYuuki KageYuuki InsaneAsylum InsaneAsylum

The blades of grass infront of Okimi burst into flames, slowly burning away. Annoyingly enough, they seemed tough to burn, though unlike other plants in the field, they actually did reduce to ash. The fire refused to spread, however, dying out nearly the moment it tried burning into a sunflower, sap from it pouring out of its skin, and onto the fire, the chakra within dispersing outwards, literally popping apart.

With the path mostly clear, the plants wouldn't stop Okimi as she continued inward, finding the ware house inside. A small burst of flame against it, and the wall crumbled, causing a small boom in the area from the impact, a cloud of debris kicking up from the barely held together ware house, just a pile of rubble. The flames from the blast began to leech into the wood, growing brighter and bright, a burning orange almost looking like a second sun, and way too hot to stand near for long. The fire began to crackle ominiously.

------------------------------------------

As Tsubaki cut through the fly trap with a single blow, it hissed before the stem died and withered, two large petals falling beneath her to the blow. Sap would fly at her from the cut however, and a light spray would make movement more difficult. It wasn't particularly sticky at all, but chakra would be difficult to gather under the circumstances, leaving her with her base skills with a blade. That said, a blade was a good deterent, plants visibly backing away from her. As she and Kurio worked to free the cocooned Ajisai, the plant noticable withdrew from Tsubaki's blows in particular. Other plants however were circling around her back, looking for an opportunity.

As Kurio threw the kunai in the sky, suddenly another flower lunged at it, a 'gulp' heard as it fell into its stem. A boom was heard a moment later.

An explosion ripped through the area, the blastwave visible as ground flew around them, tossed into the air, a wave of heat after it leaving mild burns, shaking for hundreds off feet. The blastwave it self would hit everyone involved, likely knocking them off their feet like a wall of force. Ajisai would be completely unwrapped from the force, left unconcious but free, minor burns from acid across her skin.

The explosion seemed so powerful as to break time and space, as not only had the squad rescued one down member, another genin spawned next to the downed teammate... a girl faceplanting like a missile, flaming debris landing next to her... and a flaming dragon, though it quickly put out.

Either it seemed that was one hell of an explosive tag, or that something massively explosive had gone off nearby, such as possibly a warehouse full of fertilizer. The blastwave seemed to mess with the plants more than the genin, the force shaking them too hard to detect anything, they actively looked around, but seemed suddenly blind to the genin, making it fairly easy to sneak out. The plant with the explosive tag then exploded adding to the weirdness, though at this point, it was more of a misnomer.

A voice called out to the group.

"The hell was that?"

Ichiro started to prowl towards tem, the oddest look on his face as he stared blinking at the moving plants, the raining flaming debris, Ajisai unconscious, and the new comer to the group. He raised a finger as if to ask a question, then grunted and let it fall.

Goro the Bandit
Goro fumbled for the knife on his belt but was stunned to find it absent, he groped around blindly for the knife for a precious few moments before noticing the weapon and the severed remains of his belt on the ground. His realisation came to late however, as the distraction allowed Wakanaka's attacks to strike true, sweeping the bandit's feet out from under him and sending him flying into a nearby tree that he collided with loudly before slumping into an unconscious heap.

"Ohohoho good hit!" said an elderly voice from further up the path. Standing there, or sitting rather, was a frail looking old man in a wheelchair, surveying the aftermath of the battle with a wide grin. "Well, well, well, I hear a commotion outside my front door and what do I find? Looks like we have another fine generation of youngsters coming up ehh Miss Shimamura?"

"You all did well enough I suppose," said Miho, the real one, emerging from the treeline behind the old man. "There ended up being a few more of these jokers on the other side of the mountain so I was slow getting back but it looks like you handled yourselves alright while I was gone," Miho reached the three genin and their downed opponent, inspecting the bandit with a clinical, disinterested expression. "This is Mr. Fuji by the way, our client,"

"Pleasure to meetch'a!" said the old man cheerily. "But why don't we save the introductions for back at my cabin, you all look pretty pooped!"

After Miho paused to string up the unconscious bandit by his feet with wirestring the odd party set off. Mr. Fuji's cabin turned out to be a humble, but cozy wood log construction not far from where the genin's battle had taken place and Mr Fuji spent the short walk chattering away as he manoeuvred his wheel chair up the uneven path.

"Ever since I retired I've been commissioning genin to deliver me supplies once a year," Mr Fuji explained over his shoulder. "Partly to save myself the trip but mostly because I enjoy seeing fresh young faces completing their first missions- oh that reminds me-" WIthout warning the old man spun his chair around and produced a camera that he aimed at the four shinobi, taking a picture with a sudden flash of light. "Just a little tradition," said the Old man, cheerfully ignoring a scowl from Miho. "You'll understand when we get inside,"

True enough, when the three genin entered Fuji's cabin the most notable sight that awaited them was an entire wall of the cabin given over to photos. Just like the one Mr. Fuji had taken today each one displayed a team of genin just after completing their first mission. Most were a sweaty and dirty, a few were absolutely covered in mud and one or two even had some nasty looking injuries, but they all looked proud and excited.

"Come in, come in, help yourselves to the tear there too," Fuji said as he browsed the wall for a bare spot to pin up his newly acquired memento. In his haste however the old man knocked a photo from the wall, which wafted slowly through the air to come to a rest near the genin. "Oh would somebody get that?" Mr. Fuji asked, pinning the other photo in place.

Orikanyo Orikanyo
Ganryu Ganryu
Hanarei Hanarei

Wakanaka

Ah, his strike struck true.

He often forgets the strength of being hit by a metal ball gives, he should be mindful during training with these two... Espeacially since that puppet looks expensive. And so dose Sachiko to be fair.

Just in general.

Nonetheless, their client was a better fellow than he imagined, it seems his luck has finally come to fruition today!

Also, an explanation why sensei wasn't here, why ever would so many come for this old man... He was a good sort from a passing glance, perhaps they think he had buried treasure? Was worth alot? Hatred for the elderly?

These thoughts danced in his mind as he walked along.

"I wonder how old this man is... To live so isolated is laudable... If worrying." His commented fell out of his mouth as he entered, only to see the veritable wall of photos. It was... Heart warming! How wonderful! "How many teams have come!? You must never be alone with all of these people coming huh?" The boy laughed, it was wonderful to see so many faces, some grumpy, some joyful.

Ah...?

Best he grab the photo for the man.

Wakanaka knealt down and grasped the photo, flipping it over to see it.

On the photo was another squad... But the big up front... brown hair, biiiiiig glasses, lean build.... and... braces? She had her headband upside down and looked like she had taken many a fall into a pile of mud...

At least she was smiling-

He had risen up while looking at the picture, he looked to the photo, to Miho, the photo, to Miho...

"...She didn't grow much..." he grumbled something below his breath.

Last edited:
1585235361990.png

"I see the light!" Sachiko held up her hand dramatically, to show she was alright, even as she faked hallucinations.

"The light says I've lived a perfectly good life, and am good to achieve Nirvana. That's right, I am a saint!" She looked up to find Waka and Miho already moved on with the client inside. Sachiko smiled faintly, before sitting up. "Good." She grunted holding her lower chest. A sharp inhale and she managed to stand, a small tear in her eye. Picking up the puppet gently she started to look for Shio, to find her nearby, seeing how Sachiko was.

"Yup. Right as rain." Sachiko's straight face and the slight trail of wetness from her eye might have said otherwise. Standing up with another grunt, she handed Shio her puppet, talking fast to change the topic.

"Thing's beautifully made. I thought I'd get more an ouchy from it having blades. No such luck. Withdrew quickly, and there's nothing anywhere in an unnecessary place in this thing. Who made this thing? If it's you I might just gotta come to you for some of my tools in the future. You gotta be a sort of genius or something. And Waka's strong. He got to one hit KO that bandit when he got close. I'm a bit worried 'bout his eye sight mixed with such strenghth, but good thing I wear such bright pink I guess. Man, this squad's good. I can just sit back and reeeeelax. Oh! Looks like sensei's inside! Imma follow!"

And like that, Sachiko ran, quickly becoming a walk, inside, just intime for a flash to go off, her contacts darkening to a black shade for a moment, and Sachiko not so much as blinking through it.

"N'aw... Now I'm going to look like horrible demon in it. The truth hurts, Mr. Fuji! You'll make a young maiden cry!"

She was obviously having fun bringing her trolling to new people. Looking at the photo Waka had, she snatched it out of his hands.

"Oooh! Wazzis? N'aw.... Sensei, you look adorable. Huh, that facial expression sure is different. Almost like ya were... in love! Did you ever have one of your teammates as a love interest? Did ya flirt? Come on, ya gotta tell me, I'm a sucker for romance!" Sachiko blasenly lied to see how awkward she could make it. Humming and prancing away, she made her way to Mr. Fuji.

"Nice "Accidental" knocking of that photo. I'll give you 200 Ryo if you can make it more awkward yet."

She smiled innocently for her team.

Aya

Aya was horrified when the giant glowing spider exploded into tiny bits of guts that fly to all directions. She was lucky that she got behind the crystal in time before she got hit by mushy intestines, that would be hard to clean from her kimono. Fortunately they're all safe and sound, Aya was at least relieved of that. Destroying a rare specimen of spider would be worth to keep her friends safe.

Hayate-sensei congratulated them for their accomplished mission and Aya was blushing at the realization that they just finished their very first mission, and a supposedly harder one at that! She could show off to her sisters! Before Hayate suddenly vanished, he told the trio to decided on a place for lunch. Aya caught a glimpse of a piece of paper left by her sensei and snatched it from the ground. There's a short note on it, the client's name and address. Normally it would means nothing for the young ninja, but she immediately connected the client with the exotic glowing spider. Maybe I can visit this Dr. Ryu later? She thought and decided to slip the paper into her kimono. Aya shifted back her attention to her teammates, now they can decide for a place to drain their sensei's money have a fun lunch together.

"Let's go to, Izakaya Manaka." Aya suggested. The place was a small building in the corner of the village. It's burstling with drunk people at night but during daytime it's just a cozy little restaurant that serves mostly ramen. The reason Aya suggested the place? It serves the best ikura don in the village. That and the owner, Manaka Manabu, was a nice old woman that likes to give kids candies.

AtlannianSpy AtlannianSpy IG42 IG42 KageYuuki KageYuuki

xwVPfG9.png
Shioreta Koino

It seemed Waka had taken care of things just as she had hoped knocking the bandit off his feet and out of commission. A soft sigh of relief escaped her lips. She wasn't exactly sure how well playing defense with her puppet would of been to protect Sachiko so not having to worry about it was a bit of a relief. It could of risked breaking the puppet which the very idea bothered her. Her head turned to see the old man having clearly seen the end of the battle. Despite being in the wheelchair she could tell he wasn't as helpless as it might appear. His senses seemed to be still at least to some extent there and he had done a good job sneaking into place without being detected. Then again, she could just be giving him far too much credit as the fight had just kept their attention focused away from him.

Shioreta turned her head looking at Sachiko glad that she was okay. She could feel her lift her puppet up from the threads blinking as she looked at it. She hadn't really expected her to pick it up, an ounce of distaste filling her as she shook her head as to suppress the feeling. It wasn't as if she was handling her puppet like that with any malintent. She did build Hageshi to be much more durable to handle the work of a Shinobi. She saw her offer the puppet, instead using the strings to move it to jump out from her hands landing on its feet the small bit of testing she did before helping to make sure all the joints and mechanical elements were all properly aligned from the rough impact. Still, she would have to check it later not being able to be completely certain all the mechanical parts were properly functioning later.

"Ah.. thanks I made it myself..." She spoke finding Sachiko's ramblings already done ushering herself to get in before she could speak more. Shioreta frowned a little bit before putting back on a light smile as to hide being a bit upset lacking the chance to say more about her puppet as she wandered inside. Shioreta walked forward moving her puppet behind her before jumping up on her back as it had before, clicking as it shifted to be less intrusive the claws snapping in place to keep it locked in place as the tail segments shuffled inside the body one section at a time until fully inside allowing her to detach the strings as she moved to join the rest blinking as she was also caught a bit by surprise by the flash looking confused at the camera before wandering inside after not seeming to really know how to react to having a picture taken.

The inside of the place was a bit strange to say the least though she couldn't deny she found it sweet in a way. What drew her attention more was upon waka grabbing the photo seeing the image of what had to be Miho. She looked on hearing her teammates responses seeming to look curiously down at them and back to her.

"It really does inspire me that sensei was similar to me, looking to struggle a bit but turned out fine in the end. It gives me a little hope if I keep working, just without picking up smoking." She spoke with a bright smile trying to give a compliment as well showing a bit of inspiration towards her. She was trying to not unintentionally upset Miho though perhaps she could of found a better way of wording it.

Mentioned: Ganryu Ganryu Orikanyo Orikanyo AtlannianSpy AtlannianSpy

Okimi Bajirisuku

Okimi scrambled to her feet, before patting down a small fire on the top of her head. Her eyes darted around, before settling on the little green dragon, Feurey. "There you are. Guess blasting our way in wasn't the best idea after all," Okimi said to him. She then turned to the other genin she had been fortunate enough to land by. "Sorry about that guys, I didn't realize the whole place would blow up from one small fire technique. My apologies." She turned and saw Ichiro, causing her to fliching quite obviously. "O-oh uh... hello. I am here to give you guys a message to retreat."

Okimi didn't almost didn't recognize the man before her to be the jonin of the squad. He looked like he'd be crawling out of the woods to kill them. With the flames all around, the lighting made him look all the more scary. However, she had heard and seen on a couple occasions, fortunately. If not, she may have tried to attack. She knew that would have ended badly.

"So, what were you guys even doing here? Why were the plants moving out there?" Okimi didn't seem to notice everything that had been going down inside the shed.

Skita Skita KageYuuki KageYuuki Ganryu Ganryu

Shibata Yamamoto
Having his own shield Shibata was safe from the gore scattered by the explosion along with Aya and gingerly picked his way across the mess to make his way back to the entrance. Once outside he started scraping the gunk off his shoes on a rock while Hayate congratulated them. "Naturally." He said calmly turning back to face the group with a look of satisfaction. "No problem at all." Pausing he glanced sideways at the other genin. "You two were...alright as well."

Watching his uncle leave he also spotted the scrap of paper and leaned over Aya's shoulder to read it. "The client's address? Hope you're not taking my suggestion to go ream them out too seriously." While he said that he did still think he maybe ought to go see what the doctor was thinking but supposed they were probably just trying to be cheap and only pay for a D-rank. "In any case ramen sounds good to me, I'm going to need something filling to get ready for afternoon training and I know for a fact sensei is perfectly capable of splashing out." He added with a small smirk.

KageYuuki KageYuuki AtlannianSpy AtlannianSpy Ace Cream Ace Cream

Kurio Shimizu
The world around them an explosion of movement, Kurio almost missed the way the plants seemed to shrink away more from Tsubaki's strikes than his own. It was weird, the genin would admit, but as long as they were making progress towards their captive teammate it didn't matter. The sooner they got her out and sensei arrived, the better. He turned, throwing the explosive-laden kunai skyward.

Only for one of the plants to lunge and snatch it out of the air.

Kurio blinked, he.... probably should have considered the possibility of such a thing happening. "Well-" An explosion - far larger than any single tag could produce - sent him tumbling several feet away. Kurio coughed, pushing himself back to his feet. Beyond ringing ears and a dull ache across his body from the blow, nothing seemed seriously injured.

A newcomer had entered the fray, the kunoichi taking a minute to extricate herself from the ground and pat out a few small fires. More than likely she was the cause of the fire and explosion. Headband marking her as a member of Tsumigakure, Kurio shook his head and scanned the surrounding for his other two teammates. Finding Ajisai freed, the genin was quickly kneeling beside her, moving through handsigns and carefully holding his hands over her.

Diagnosis

He didn't even bother to look up when Ichiro finally reappeared. Though Kurio would have been concerned had the commotion not been enough to recall the jounin from... whatever it was he was doing. Kurio cast a quick glance at a piece of smoldering wood nearby. "I would guess our newcomer blew up the shed, I would hope there was nothing in there we needed." Focused on his teammate, his tone was level, almost clinical. Ichiro or Tsubaki could fill in the green haired girl on what they were doing there. It was one thing to bring orders to retreat, another entirely to nearly blow all of them up. Kurio counted himself lucky that he didn't have two injured genin to tend to.

"We should make our retreat while everything is still dazed. We will also need to get this acid off of Ajisai before I can effectively treat these burns."

Skita Skita InsaneAsylum InsaneAsylum Ganryu Ganryu

Tsubaki Sana

Tsubaki couldn't help but smirk with pride as the vines visibly shrunk away. Who woulda thought that weapons made by the enemy would be afraid of a girl and her sword. What ever it was she wasn't about to question it. Better yet before she could give herself a moment to think a blast swept through the area sending her feet away.

Tsubaki rolled herself into a sitting position, dazed from the sudden blast. She gave herself a moment to readjust to her surroundings, rubbing at her ear. Bright side she was sure she wasn't hurt but just a thrown off. However it did seem like the blast did summon two newcomers, their sensei and a girl with a retreat order.

Tsubaki had to hold back the urge to laugh the second she heard that. She smiled sarcastically as she gestured to Ajisai's unconscious form and the explosion aftermath behind them. "Retreat? Haha...yeah before or after she died?" She rolled her eyes pulling herself to her feet running her hand through her hair. "And our mission? Geez you think they'd let you know what your running into" She muttered before continuing, "They basically wanted to pick flowers and bring them back and you can thank our friends from the Life why the plants were possessed."

She walked forward and looked at Kurio tending to Ajisai's wounds and then to Ichiro. "Speaking of the mission, its a bust isn't it? Kinda sad....it fun in the end." She sighed rocking on her heels looking back at the wounded girl. "Also Kurio is right, we should leave before the rest of us become plant food, right?"

Ganryu Ganryu KageYuuki KageYuuki InsaneAsylum InsaneAsylum

Mirrors, Lies, and Kicked Asses
Shibata Yamamoto & Sachiko Kounna

Pacing impatiently on well-worn dirt of the training ground Shibata looked around but saw no sign that his latest partner had showed up yet, clicking his tongue in irritation he decided he should try to at least get some training done even if it was by himself.

Forming a seal he created a mirror and rested a hand on its surface thinking about how easily the spider on his mission had stabbed through it, stepping back he wove his hands together again this time focusing his chakra more carefully. “Crystal Release: Emerald Blade.” Moving a hand over the other forearm a green blade formed and attached to his arm, giving the blade an experimental swing he attacked the mirror trying to see which would give first.

A large splash could be heard at a small lake the training ground was next to. Overall, the place looked less like a training ground, and more like a cursed forest, dried dead trees everywhere, and little sense of life. It weren’t for a few well known clans making food, it’d be impossible to live in their little death crater.

Crawling out from the lake, a large gasp could be heard, with a bit of flailing. An oddly pink ninja climbed out, Sachiko Kounna. Blinking as she noticed Shibata, she saw the scratch against the armored mirror and the claw like blade. Parts of her hair seemed a bit duller all of a sudden.

“MY DYE!?”

Panicking and twisting the ends of her hair in her fingers in slight, she switched back to a calmer voice.

“So… found an answer to what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object? Age old question of “If I punch myself and it doesn’t hurt, and I too strong or too weak?” Is the sword mightier than the… shield? Crapbaskets I thought I had more.”

Crawling out the lake, she shook like a dog, before noticing a black streak of hair, she grimaced from the natural color.

“So, uh, wouldn’t it be better if someone was holding that mirror? I mean, stare at it too long, you might turn into a flower! Or maybe a rice paddy!” (Making fun of his name, Shibata.)

How’s your team doing, anyways, Shibata? My side, we climbed some rocks and gave a basket of goodies to grandmother in the woods. Alright, so it was an old man, but that’s less cool. You?”

Looking at the thoroughly scratched mirror and chipped blade Shibata kicked petulantly at the shards on the ground. “You forgot the story of the spear that can pierce any shield and the shield that could block any spear.” He sighed deeply. “I’ll tell you the answer once I’ve managed to make them. My team got to go look for a spider in the mines, it sounds dull I know but no one thought to mention the bug was 10 feet tall.”

Letting the crystals crumble he turned to Sachiko. “Was there something you needed or did you simply see the lake and become overwhelmed with the urge to take a bath?” He smirked and took his stance. “Perhaps you’d like to work up a bit of heat in your limbs before you catch a chill?”

“Definitely overwhelmed by an urge. You know, great time of year and all that… hehehe…”

She rubbed the back of her head as a cold breeze shot through the area, making Sachiko shiver. She shook her head, and got to a stance, grabbing a kunai in one hand, and bare handed the other. A typical shinobi stance.. “Oh me, oh my, such bullying! You see a poor girl freezing to death, and you just wanna hit her? Have you looked at yourself in the mirror lately?”

Sachiko seemed to stumble, but rolled into a punch aimed at his kneecap.

Creating a fresh blade Shibata examined her stance, to his eye it was a mess filled with openings and with unstable footing. When she stumbled he scoffed slightly feeling that his assessment had been vindicated then jerked in shock as she turned it into an attack, hastily deflecting the blow with his arm he swung the blade on his other to clear a space. “I didn’t come here to be a towel boy and I can think of better ways to use a mirror than admiring myself.”

Sachiko watched the swing of the speed. His stance was decently good actually, he was probably slightly better than she was trying. Sachiko’s tricks wouldn’t work multiple times…. But did she really want them to? The only thing going for it was Shibata was the type of person you didn’t want to make angry, which totally made Sachiko want to make him angry, but well, goal wise they were 180 in directions.

Sachiko jumped back, cracking her neck, and making a ‘T’ with her hands. “A’ight, timeout. I’m all for being a training dummy, and warming up sounds good, but we both know you’re proobably better than me in a fight. I’m a lover, not a fighter. Still, it’d be a waste of time just to go at it, you’d win. Anything you wanna try out that you need an audience for? I’m an adoring audience, hehehe.”

Relaxing his stance slightly Shibata scowled at the surrender. “We’re training Sachiko not fighting to the death or for the ‘honour of our ancestors’, win or lose there’s valuable experience to be gained.” He went to fold his arms sternly then realised he’d forgotten about the razor edge attached to him, huffing he considered simply attacking her anyway to get a fight going but thought she would simply take off if he were to do that.

“I suppose there is something I could use a fresh pair eyes for.” He conceded reluctantly and dispelled the blade again. Making a hand seal he created a mirror and stood still focusing, after a moment his reflected image began to move before stepping out of the mirror. The duplication repeated and both moved to flank the original then all three folded their arms confidently. “Now tell me can you see anything unusual about these two?”

Sachiko stared hard, blinking as she looked. “Uh… their fashion sense is off?” She smiled innocently. They were a perfect copy of Shibata. “Huh. Didn’t you say you had a better use of that mirror than looking at yourself, cause still kiiiinda looks like that to me. What’s different bout them versus these?”

Sachiko made a handsign, two academy clones appearing, making various faces at Shibata’s clones, while Sachiko herself had a calm neutral expression. The clones were slightly off, mismatched colors on the skirts, slightly different sized hats.

Other the fact I’m not good at clones… kiiinda can’t hold them too long either, never did really study basic ninjutsu techniques too much… What’s yours do?”

Scowling in unison with his clones Shibata looked the opposing clones up and down wondering internally what skill Sachiko was hiding that had allowed her to even graduate. “The clone is formed of crystal just like the mirror that produced it giving it a physical presence unlike the conventional clone, but the thing I wanted to check was if you could work out that-” both ‘clones’ struck at the ones taunting them but where one was knocked away and poofed out of existence the other was left unscathed as the blow passed clean through it with an ghostly shimmer. “Only one of them is a clone and the other is an illusion.”

He smiled smugly and waved a hand through the intangible duplicate’s head. “A little misdirection I came up with that I like to call Crystal Phantom, looks like a clone and hopefully the enemy thinks it can hit like one but it costs a fraction of the chakra to create and maintain.”

Sachiko blinked as her clone was popped, dispersing the other one as her chakra control spiralled out of control. “Huh.” Sachiko was honestly impressed. It was a smart move. She wanted to say something stupid to it, but did earn a bit of her respect.

“I have an idea to make it scarier!” She finally said as a light bulb seemed to go off in her head. “It’s waaaaay more useful as a distraction. Like. I’m pretty lucky, pree sure you couldn’t hit me with a projectile if you tried, but, well, even I couldn’t be lucky forever if you used a clone like that offensively! Huh, how do I put it into words, uh... “

Sachiko craned her neck, then shrugged. “I got it! Start about… 30 m away, and have that clone start running at me!”

Sachiko ran back wards the lake, jumping towards it. For a split second she seemed to hang in the air, before splashing into it. “N’aw…” she groaned, before turning back. It was about 30 m.

“Now have it run at me!”

Puffing up with even more smugness at finally stemming the tide of cheap jabs Shibata nearly scoffed at Sachiko’s suggestions that she had an idea but he supposed that could run counter to his trying to tell her that there was value in any form of training. “Alright fine, wait watch where you’re going…” He sighed and made a note to train more towards learning water walking as Sachiko fell in the lake a second time. “I’ll just back up a bit shall I?”

Making up the distance himself he dutifully set the phantom running when prompted.

“Now throw some shurikens through it!... Wait, rocks, definitely rocks, I don’t wanna diiiiiie!”

Getting the hint he scooped up a few small stones not much bigger than pieces of gravel and began to close in alongside the clone then tossed them through the phantom not putting much force behind it.

“Then leap really fast through it! Body flicker if ya got it, I’m still working on it myself.”

Smirking a little he began to weave in front and behind his clone as they ran trying to make Sachiko lose track of which was which then finally sent the clone to lunge through the phantom while he darted around the side.

Sachiko’s smugness continued, waiting patiently on the other side of the clone running towards her. This was a test for her too. An impossible one, but you didn’t get better by trying the possible.

The first stone hit true, a dull thud against her arm, and a wince, the second likewise. Sachiko weaved under the third, but realized she’d just missed. The fourth hit too… and then he was.

Keeping track was hard enough, it made the sudden lunge catch her off guard, even a clone was difficult hard. After what would be first impact(free hit), Sachiko’s kunai flew up to defend herself, her free hand slipping from behind her brown patch to grab the clone by his pouch and toss him back through the illusion . Not nearly enough force to break it if it was a clone, and not enough force to really hurt Shibata either.

“This was supposed to be a demonstration of concept, didn’t have to go all godlike on me all of a sudden! Now I gotta put on some ice packs or go for another swim!”

The clone landed a hit on Sachiko’s shoulder before getting tossed backward while the phantom ran straight into her and dissipated, meanwhile the real Shibata twisted around behind her and swung his arm in a chop that stopped just short of her neck. “You get out of training what you put in so there’s no reason not to give it your all.” Despite his uncompromising tone he reached into his pocket and offered her a dorayaki by way of apology.

Sachiko gave a ‘kyah!’ scream as she was assaulted, holding up a hand against the chop, and trying her best to look scared. There was, however, a devilish little smirk on her face.

“Well, think I got out a lot!”

She took the dorayaki, and slid away, circling around herself, out of the water and away from the two.

“Fiiiine. How ‘bout this. Let’s reset position, cause I couldn’t get out of this if I wanted, your taijutsu’s just a biiit better than mine

and try one more time. Loser has to buy the winner dinner. Let’s just reset, ‘bout 10 meters across, keep your clone, it’s fine. Sides you wanted to see what I could really do, right!?”

Sauntering over to the specified distance and glanced at his clone. “If I keep the clone this would be over about as quickly as our first ‘spar’.” Without turning to look the clone and the unattended mirror crumbled. Taking his stance once more he smirked again and waited for Sachiko to make the first move. “Let’s all do our best!”

As the clone disappeared, a single explosive tag not belonging to it fluttered to the ground. It had been planted when Sachiko had thrown the clone. Sachiko sighed. “Maaaaan, why do you gotta be chivalrous now? Lie with the dogs and you get flees. Guess goes for me too. So, Shibata, where do you want to eat?”

Sachiko made the ‘explosion’ handsign(tag), before lunging at him with a kunai drawn.

-------------------------------------------------------

A few minutes later Shibata stood over where Sachiko lay on her back with his crystal blade poised over her chest. He was a little confused at the lack of any explosion release on her part having spent most of the fight watching for it with caution but also a touch of eagerness at being able to test his crystal’s durability against it, either way he supposed while the actual progress of the spar hadn’t been what he was expecting the final outcome was.

Checking the blade he nodded approvingly to himself at the lack of notches from blocking kunai with it and let it fall away, extending a hand to help her up he smiled a little more genuinely. “That wasn’t too bad, a lot less explosions than I expected but enough to work up a bit of an appetite at least.” His smirk crept back in. “I’m feeling like teriyaki how about you?”

Sachiko moaned, her head reached back. “Yeah… Teriyaki sounds good… Surprised ya not eating me out of house and home. Ya’re much nicer than I am….”

She grunted as she leaned forward, and put her hand up to ask for help getting up.

“Just had to be chivalrous. If ya would have kept the clone would have won…”

She reached into her black pouch, pulling out a paper, and handing it to Shibata. “Imma tell ya a secret. This here is a special paper. It reads your element via your chakra. If your affinity is fire, it burns. If its wind, it slices. If its electricity, it crumbles. If its earth, it turns to dust. If its water, it’s soaked. Kekkei Genkai too. I’m sure yours crystalized.”

Sachiko held out it between both hands, and started to grunt as she had a handsign; the paper remained the same.

“Nope. No explosions. No fire. No wind. No electricity. No earth. No water. No nothing. So I don’t really want the limelight. I wanna just be a nobody. Hopin’ Sensei forgets about me. Buuuut… fighting you was kinda fun. We do it again, I might just gotta try to win with everything I got.. Being sneaky just didn’t pay off. I was tryin’, I swear! Still, teriyaki sounds amazing. Thanks for the spar, Shibata. Was great.”

Sachiko sat outside the shrine that was Waka’s home, with a bit of a thinking scowl as she rubbed her chin. There haaaaad to be way to make a more exciting entrance than just knocking. Suddenly an idea popped into her head, and she ran off to the market.

A few minutes later, Wakanaka would hear a banging on his window. A second later, a coconut was held up, cut in half. The two halves open and shut repeatedly.

'Waka, waka, waka.' The window spoke in a slightly distorted voice.

Wakanaka had been pouring himself over this scroll, it had been… Suffice to say… Annoying to get these stances and techniques right. If it wasn't placement of his hands on the chain it was momentum being fucky, if it wasn't his grip coming loose it was getting pinched by the chain.

He was rather unpleasantly peeved.

However, the window slamming woke him from his stupor, the coconut and noises also were quite… unique. At first he was certain he must've fell asleep and began dreaming… But… The hands making the coconut move suggested this was a person's doing. Putting the scroll aside he came over to his window, lifted it up and peered down at the intruder with big red eyes.

"Hello?"

A random hand came up, grabbing Waka by the neck of his clothes and dragging him out the window. Naturally Sachiko was at the bottom.

“Hiya! I’m abducting ya. Whaaaat’cha doing?”

She shuffled through her brown ninja pouch until she found a scroll.

“I overheard some people talking about a hidden treasure in the village! You wanna get rich? We just gotta desecrate an abandoned shrine. I immediately thought of you.”

"You thought about desecrating a temple and immedately thought about me… And not in a manner that I would stop you?" The young man asked, rising an eyebrow with increasing incredulousness.

"No, its a bad idea and you shouldn't go either. Its dangerous and full of bad karma in store. Abandoned places are abandoned for reasons." He of course said this, but deep inside, his heart yearned to go… Plus being in a scary place with a cute girl never hurt a boy's pride.

“Yup!” Sachiko declared innocently, though secretly with a devil’s smile.

“Aw, but what if I got hurt, where’s my shining knight if that happened? I grabbed you cause I knew you COULDN’T say no. I know, I’m a wonderful person. Well then, let’s get headed!

Supposedly its a temple to one of the seven lucky gods, but got less popular after the head priest died, eventually just rotting away. I bet the Kami’s unhappy! We should move at least the Shintai (sacred relic). Also if there’s gold, I wouldn’t mind. Or adventure! West side of town. I’ll be there in an hourish. Just gotta go get a few things first.”

…This girl was a living natural disaster. The young man, now out of his room, was currently being volentold for this… Though it was true they should tend to the kami residing at that place… Leaving such things well enough alone just wouldn't do.

But… he hadn't heard much about this place in truth. Guess he could find out whats what when he gets there… Better than leaving Sachiko to her own devices in that place…

The boy could only sigh… His fortunes did say he would have good and bad luck today… His elders oft said he is in for many a headache with this squad… Was this what they meant?

-------------

A heavy mist gathered outside the supposed temple, though with how broken and decrepit everything was, even compared to most of Tsumigakure, it could hardly be called a temple. Sitting atop of a half eaten away Torii gate, the resident madwoman sat kicking her feet off the side. ‘Transition into sacred’ didn’t seem to occur to her.

“Sup Waka? Also, may have forgotten to mention I’m avoiding clan heir training right now, so… I’m happy to take all day, but I don’t know your schedule, and it’s be mean to drag you along for too long. Anyways, scroll I bought from some sleazy rumormonger said ‘the real treasure is followed like a prayer. Prayers will point you the way, for where does a prayer go but up? They will ring you to heaven.’ Treasure’s gold. I bet the real treasure’s a coin bag.”

The temple was full of half eaten walls and a collapsed roof or two, a yard for ceremonial dances now covered in debris. A prayer wall sat halfway into the temple, mold and faded paper taking over what had once been charms, with a series of bells going up to a main bell tower. The main building behind, the actual shrine surprisingly still stood, and in decent condition, the flaked red paint of the roof being the only off thing about it. The path to the main house was lined with statues the entire way, of long dead monks and honored priests. The mist, however, seemed to half encompass it, and a weird presence could be felt bearing down on them.

The young man could barely believe he was convinced to come out here with this girl. It was so stupid. So very very stupid. Not only could they be cursed their karma is gonna be fucked.

But ooooh no, had to do it.

Had to keep her outta trouble.

Had to listen to the monkey brain tell you to listen to pretty female.

"Ugh… Come on… Do we really gotta do this? Theres easier and less disrespectful ways to fill one's pockets.

Have you tried a part time job?

Maybe run errands?

I'll give you 500 ryo to sweep the temple halls…"

Sachiko laughed, slipping upside down and holding onto the Torii gate by her legs.. “Ya forget I’m a princess! A pretty princess. I hate the dresses though..”

She let go, flipping to the ground and landing on her feet. “I do this for adventure! For the challenge, for the I was bored and overheard something from Master Yasutsuna’s clients. He’s a good friend of mine, old blacksmith. I have tea with’im sometimes. Anyways, what were we talking about?” Sachiko shrugged and started walking to the shrine’s center bell with the scroll: ‘the real treasure is followed like a prayer. Prayers will point you the way, for where does a prayer go but up? They will ring you to heaven.’

“I mean, you wanna leave you can. I just thought I had a shining knight I could depend on.” She smiled innocently, the devil.

"You are a demon." Said the boy, who was going to look back on this very moment as an adult as he tries to go to sleep and feel nothing but horrible dread with a hint of stinging nostalgia.

"...Fine… Well princess Sachiko, the scroll's mantra or hint seems to be talking about the bell. Say a prayer, if it dosen't burn your lips to utter one, then ring it. Or just ring it perhaps…?

I don't know… Most knowledge I have about temple secrets are the small clothes of priestesses…"

...Ah… he shouldn't have said that…

"...Ring the bell…"

Sachiko stood blinking for a moment.

Another second ticked by.

“I want you to know…”

Another second.

"..."

"..."

"..."

“That I’m totally just doing this to let the awkwardness set in ya perv. Methinks I’m not the biggest demon here, and that makes me jealous! Also… why that detail? Aren’t you, like near blind? Ughuhu.” She shook her head, trying to brain bleach the last minute of her life, before pulling on the bell, ringing echoing through the area, and a small paper falling out, onto the ground.

The talismen in the hall holds great fortune and great evil, our Kami lives within it, but what does his house sit in the way of?

“Whoo! This sounds like we’re all going to die. if I was smart, I’d proooobably pay for an actual ninja to take care of it. Good thing I know my friend Waka graduated recently. Imma consider this a D-rank mission, should you choose to accep- Ahahaha…” Sachiko started to walk to the main collapsed hall. “What sort of temple is this anyways? Supposed to be a lucky god, so perfect for me.”

Keep the conversation moving Waka forget what was said, cleanse the mind.

"Ah…" he gave some thought to her question, trying to ignore the general "You should not be doing this at all" vibe of what is going on.

"If i remember… Daikokuten, oni out, fortune in… One of the gods of fortune and commerce, utilized charms and omiyomori to keep demons at bay and slay them.." he pause to silently slip a purifying seal tag into his hand and softly slip the sticky end of it on the small of Sachiko's back, much akin to a cunning prankster applying a kick me sign… But for the exact opposite reason.

And for ghosts.

"This temple would have had a great deal of talismans… purifying seals, protective charms. Things to cycle bad fortune out, keep away nigitama…." He began to mumble as he poked at a crumbling wooden table… which predictably crumpled to dust. Which Wakanaka quickly shuffled away from, pretending nothing happened.

"Yokai and evil spirits lurk in the shadows of these places… We must be careful…"

Sachiko nodded, grabbing a kunai and spinning it in her hand. “What’s the worst that could happen?” The kunai dropped out of her hand, Sachiko giving an ‘eep’ as she narrowly missed her foot. Whistling a happy tune, Wakanaka might notice small little misgivings about her gait. She had far fewer stumbles than was normal for Sachiko, her whistling was offtune, and she kept gulping. Waka wasn’t scaring her, no way. It was just supposed to be a simple temple exploration. Or, maybe a bit more, but the way Wakanaka talked about it….

The main hall was presented with the front door completely collapsed, rock covering it pretty sturdily. There were a few holes in the roof, but collapsed framework made it hard to enter. Sachiko inspected it. She could probably squirm inside, but… well, she didn’t want to accidentally impale herself.

“Any ideas here, Waka? Cause… I kiinda don’t wanna use a tag, might collapse it, but I’m not a brute force kinda ninja. Heck, I’m hardly a ninja!” She shrugged, lost.

"Hmm… bad spirits… curses… sealed evil… rabid raccoons… Evil yokai… Splinters…" he continued to mutter the many, many bad things that could be waiting in the darkness.

Though… the rock was a curious thing. Why ever was this big stone blocking the way?

"So mysterious… Hardly a seal, hardly a blockade…" his muttering continued as he began feeling up the rock, patting it, wiggling it, pulling on it abit.

"Hmm….. Well then! We can't have a rock in the way of the entrance. Lets see what I can do…" he took the chain weapon out, as in, uncoiled it around his waist, and began to tie an end around the stone.

Giving a bit of leeway for it to roll, he began to pull upon the stone, giving a strong heave to clear the way.

Sachiko just stood blinking. “Well… that works. I’d say remind me not to get on your bad side, but I live and breath on people’s bad sides… Remind me to stand out of swinging distance when I do.” Sachiko backed away slowly as the collapsed stone pillar was dragged away. Then her troll smile returned and she trotted inside.

The inside was pitch black. Sachiko looked back to the entrance she’d just come from to see nothing as well. The only visible thing inside were a few collapsed pillars, and a glowing pendant in the middle of the room, a paper talisman on a stand shining in the middle.

The darkness inside though made Sachiko tremble. Something felt off. The darkness was cool to the touch, almost freezing, yet no ice was forming. Didn’t stop Sachiko scratching her arms. And the room seemed to shake as if warning something powerful was inside. Sachiko gulped.

“I-I’m not I feel suicidally brave today. Tch… but wanted this treasure hunt as a bit of training. And the guy I got this from was really insistent I try for the treasure though... Uh… uh… Waka?”

The creepy feeling would be just as bad on Wakanaka as it was Sachiko.

Wakanaka snuck in after Sachiko like a greatly worried dog following their human friend. His eyes darted from… Actually thats rather ineffectual. His ears perked as he listened to every creek and groan of the place that had since been devoid of life for a long time.

The air reeked of dust, the floor was long in need of a sweeping and…

Oh gods above and below.

This looked real bad.

...But very interesting too!

"This must be a Shintai, the kami must use the pendant as a home… Small wonder this place is so cold… It must've been abandoned for some time…" he paused to stare at the pendant and then the talisman. "This place really could use a cleaning…

Wonder what caused people to abandon this place…? Daikokuten… It may be worth restoring this place if I can…"

“You are correct.” A deep voice sounded behind both of them. A man in a robe and cap stood with his arms folded, observing the two.

“This place though, its no longer a place of worship. The kami itself likely doesn’t reside here. He always did like it to be more lively. No… this place was abandoned 30 years ago. Now all that remains is that pendant. And as long as its in place, the soul of the man who was the head priest cannot move on. It’s a tether and a prison.”

Sachiko jumped at the voice. “Holy cannoli, it’s that one guy I talked to. I don’t like it when people come out of nowhere!” The coldness of the room was making her scratch her arm more and more, leaving slightly reddened lines on her skin as it was irritated. (Nervous tick, nothing more)

She whispered in Wakanaka’s ear. “Just so you know, I no longer have any idea what’s going on. I was just here for a scavenger hunt.”

Yep

Yep

This was some fucken shit.

Wakanaka pulled out a talisman with a few nicely polished prayer beads and handed it off to Sachiko, save her arm a bit.

"If that is true, why is the head priest imprisoned? It is a steep punishment, to be barred from one's afterlife, whatever it may be." Waka was not about to trust this person, they screamed ill-fortune…

“It was a price… a steep price. I wish nothing more than his passing peacefully. I’m not permitted to touch the talisman, why I asked for this one’s help.”

He pointed to Sachiko, before bowing.

“Please remove it, it is too steep a punishment for him.”

Sachiko meanwhile waved her hands in front of her trying to not be identified, before slumping her shoulders.

“So much for trying not to be mentioned… Ugh… Waka, what’cha wanna do? Imma take the bystander effect. I just wanted to see something weird. Think I found it already! Then again...”

Wakanaka couldn't see too much, but he could smell nasty bullshit when he smelt it. And this scenario right here most certainly dealt it. Punishments are there for a reason, and vengeance should be best served cold, cold as the grave. And seals like these are definitely intended to stay where they are.

Gods forbid whatever is in there is let out, he wont be one of those dumb teens whi let loose an ancient evil and cause the death of thousands.

Even if this was a rather close set up to one of those movies…

...Though partially he hoped to be the one to "get the girl" as it were…

"...Why can you not touch it…?" Wakanaka started to stand firm, getting on the defensive… "You brought Sachiko here to try and convince her there is treasure here… Then make her try and release a seal that you conveniently cannot touch?

You… Can't be serious in believing something so sketchy could be true. What’s next? Telling her to follow you into a dark alley for some treats?

I shall have you know Sachiko may be silly at times but as my companion would never fall for such tricks, she is an intelligent and gallant young lady!" He all but literally put her upon a pedestal after breaking down the whole scenario. He conveniently avoided how she had been tricked into this in the first place.

But she was smart enough to bring him along, so, points here and there.

A B is still good, A+ in effort.

The man laughed, seemingly gliding towards Wakanaka. “Once selfless act has doomed him I see. Tell me child, why do you think? I have no lie here, I did hide treasure here, with a series of notes, the most important of all treasures. However, it seems almost petty to hate me merely on that, in fact, I think-”

The man stopped mid sentence to turn with a smile and look of glee on his face.

A voice sounded behind them, with a slight rip. Sachiko stood looking PISSED next to the seal, half torn it off. She was gritting her teeth, with a rather large vein on her forehead looking like it was going to burst.

“Mind repeating that, Wakanaka Tsube? Go ahead. Compliment me one more time.”

It… didn’t seem Sachiko took compliments very well. The smile on the obviously not a ghost caused her to throw a kunai at it. On the back of the seal, some symbols could be seen.

Over a few seconds Wakanaka's face turned from one approaching victory to a glaze of disappointment into a snarl of hatred. It was clear, he was not winning today.

"...I have never met a more foolish reprobate. You have no respect, a uncaring fool through and through. You dragged me into this folly only to dig even further into your own grave the moment I attempt and wiggle out of this situation.

And now, due to some measily words, you pose to unleash a spirit that shouldn't be unleashed.

Who is likely the one who brought you here because they found a soul so gullible and foolish to follow along in search of a "treasure".

Hand over your headband and slit your stomach you failure of a kunoichi. I was wrong to follow you and wrong to believe you have the good sense to stay out of trouble."

Well, there you go. Guess they both uncovered their ugly sides today.

A smile formed at the sides of Sachiko’s lips. “There we go♪.” She dropped the tag, and began waltzing outside, humming something under her breath. She stabbed at the obvious ghost about 13 times, then walked to the exit. “I’m bored now. Its lunch time. Ramen, suba, or sushi, Waka?”

The ghost, however, was by far the most confused, even as Sachiko’s kunai passed straight through him. “Wait! You can’t just leave! You, you undid the seal halfway! Keep going! I’ll, uh, haunt you! Both of you! It’ll be very serious! UNDO THIS SEAL!”

"...I…" Wakanaka simply stared, dumbfounded. At the ghost, at Sachiko, honestly he had no clue what was going on.

"...Umm..Sushi… Would be good…" is all he really said, following the girl…

What…

What just happened???

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine! Mine! Mine!
-Kurio & Sachiko Collab-

Sachiko sat on her knees, almost looking elegant as the tea arrived. She calmly waited for her partners to also arrive. It’d be rude to drink beforehand.

“So… Kurio. I have a business proposal. How bribable are you? Cause it’s probably a D-rank mission, but I reeeeally don’t want my name on one of those. So. How bribable are you?”

“I…” Kurio’s head canted slightly to the side, “are you trying to get me to take a mission in your stead?” He glanced at the tea and small plate of mochi, wanting to take some but since Sachiko hadn’t touched hers, it wouldn’t be polite.

Sachiko turned her cup slightly to the side, rotating it, before taking a sip, non spilling on her kimono.

“Nope. I’m going too. Just the two of us. I’d invite my squad, but still… recovering. I just don’t wanna put out an official mission listing. Wanna artificially deflate my rankings as much as possible. But, well, this mission’s not good for me. I’ve got… issues doing it. Anyways.”

She took a bite of Mochi, trying hard to supress her usual stupid grin from the sweetness. Finishing chewing first, she nodded, then continued.

“Mission, right. If I just say ‘the mission’, makes it sound more interesting than it is. I’m just gathering some ore from the mine. Problem. It’s chakra resilient ore. So… how does one find chakra resilient ore?”

She took another bite, letting the reason she chose a Shimizu.

Kurio quietly listened as she spoke, quietly drinking his tea. Finally starting to venture outside of the village, he idly wondered if the teas would taste different. Did the air here have any effect on them? He really hadn’t given it much thought before leaving the village with his team for the first time.

Once she finished he gave a small, noncommittal hum. “Flooding chakra into the area would be an option I suppose, though I doubt either of us have the reserves for that method.” Kurio picked up a piece of mochi while he thought. “If you’re hoping to enlist the aid of an Akuma through me, I’m afraid you’ll be disappointed. I can’t use its chakra.”

Sachiko shrugged. “Meh, I couldn’t expect too much. If I brought anyone stronger though, I’d deeefinitely get questions, and your chakra reserves deeeefinitely better than mine. Heh. I said ‘mine’. I’m pretty good at small chakra manipulations, but chakra coils aren’t large, probably why I suck at elemental jutsu.” Sachiko continued with the snacks. “So, you in or not. What’s it take to bribe you to do a small mission off the books? Oh, and escorting a crazed rebellious clan princess. Not sure Waka’s forgiven me for last time I dragged him along.“

He was quiet for a long moment, merely drinking his tea. Finally, he nodded, “Newest volume of The Dawn King and I’ll come along.” Not that he had much to do today anyway. Kurio set his teacup down with a soft click. “So when and where?”

Sachiko just blinked. “Well… guess I’m lucky you’re cheap. Come oooon, that it? You know what, ya said it, it’s done. Could set up later, but honestly, I’m free. I suppose I can take out my training slot to do this. This’ll be kinda like training…. So… 9pm, Mine shaft #5. I don’t think they’re are any spiders there? Know Shibata said there were spiders in the one he was in… Meh, what’s the worst a spider can do? Hahaha. Heard some unlucky schmucks got beat up by some plants! Anyways, see ya there!”

Kurio shrugged, “I never said it was an easy book to get a hold of. But 9PM is fine,” he picked up his teacup, pausing to shoot a cold look over the rim of it at her last comment.

--------------------------------------------

Standing outside the mine… was not Sachiko. She ended up being about 15 minutes later, soaked to the skin and panting, but back in her normal oddly colored skirt. “Book’s on your bed…. Ugh… Anyways… ready for some ore hunting? Just gotta.. Just gotta catch my breath. ”

Kurio blinked, hopping down from the rock he’d been perched on. “You… didn’t try sneaking into the house did you?”

“Pfft. I got people for that. Hopefully. That, or a very dear friend of mine (Gan doesn’t know who he convinced to do a background event) just got caught, and I pick up the book tomorrow and give it to you. I wanted to try to get a few techniques down before I came here.”

Water dripped from her hair.

“I did not ‘get them down.’ Anyways, you ready?”

He gave a low hum, stretching. “I see.” His normal smile had grown somewhat catty, “Probably more ready than you, do you really wanna go underground sopping wet?”

“Wat-er you talking about?” Sachiko gave an innocent grin as she stepped inside, the mine instantly growing darker as she stepped inside, the bullseye lantern she carried becoming more prominent as she descended inside. “So… tell me ‘bout ya mission. Cause this’ll probably take a wee bit. You ain’t do anything tomorrow, right?”

With a low groan, Kurio followed after her. “Well it would seem you already heard about it from this afternoon… We were sent to collect samples from a project abandoned by Inochigakure, some garden. Sensei had scouted ahead of time and said it was safe, there weren’t any enemy shinobi left in the area.” An annoyed huff, the genin let the darkness mask his soured expression. “He was… correct on the latter anyway. The plants were weapons, closer to summons. Almost killed one of my teammates.”

“Huh. Cool. We just climbed a cliff and delivered some supplies to an old guy. Normal Genin stuff.”
Kurio would likely know from his aunt that wasn’t the full story. Before any more thought could be given, Sachiko smiled mischievously, then turned off the lantern. Everything faded out to a deep dark red, with no visibility left between the two, Sachiko giggling.

“Always believed in training hard! So any thoughts on how you deal with an enemy ninja without your sight?”
She spouted madly, her voice running further into the mine… with the lantern.

“I wouldn’t call it ‘cool’...” He stopped, suddenly robbed of his sight. “Sachiko, wha-?” Kurio felt his fingers barely brush the back of her shirt as she took off madly down the path. A heavy sigh, “Ah… crapbaskets.”

Sachiko grunted. “Come on… don’t just give up.”

A finger came back, poking Kurio in the forehead, before disappearing just as quickly, though Sachiko’s giggling didn’t help her hide too much.

“Let’s make it a game, let’s play tag! And a game’s not fun without a wager. Tag me back ‘fore I get bored, and, uh… I’ll get you a signed copy of that what’s it called series. Don’t, and I make you carry back all the ore! Come and get me!”

Sachiko began to run down the line of the cave, her footsteps in a stumbled mess, a few times she was heard audibly falling, but Sachiko had some idea where she was going, seemingly not totally blind.

Kurio blinked at suddenly being touched, where’d she even-? His hand snapped forward, only meeting air. A huff, though the mention of a bet piqued his curiosity. The stakes more so. “Alright then, you’re on.” Kurio focused on the retreating sound of her footsteps. Clumsy as they may have seemed, it also didn’t sound like she’d collided with any walls. “Figures, Kounna…”

It was only a second before he gave chase, hand against the wall of the cave as if it would help. The staggering steps were his main guide for now. It was only a matter of time before he tripped and fell too.

The air in front of him darkened as he touched the wall. Sachiko could be heard, continually just out of reach.

“Ya know, ya can’t catch me just being cautious like that.”

The air in front of Kurio went pitch black

“Tch, I’m aware.” Kurio sprang forward at the sound of her voice, only succeeding in crashing to the floor. He frowned at the new, inky darkness he’d been plunged into as he pushed himself back to his feet.

The dive would prove to be a poor choice when instead of the floor, he was met with a stalagmite with a resounding ‘thud’. Sachiko wincing could be heard from across the cave.

“Hear that… I felt that. Uh, I mean, surprise hint! I-I’d be more worried if you weren’t, well, you… Shimizu are hearty, right?”

Shaking her head, she waited in place for him, and began to narrate, her voice dropping considerably, sounding more gritty, more tired.

”Fifty years ago, after the Yoshida clan had broken from the Jingakure village, and been cast out of Inoichigakure, the Second Great Ninja war occurred. The Jingakure armies were marching on the helpless clan, determined to take back the secrets of the Jinchuuriki. The army was vast, and defeat looked inevitable.

The clan head refused to back down, and so on the plains they fought, with no cover, no advantage, no way of victory. Predictably, they were overwhelmed, and forced back, until only the clan head, and his apprentice were left, standing two ninja against an entire army. The Clan Head had an impossible request… Hold the line. And his apprentice did. Taking the moment to undo his seals, the clan head undid his seals, and released his Akuma, a fatal decision, but one that could rampage across the battlefield and let his clan escape.

However, he would not be remembered for merely doing that. The clan head began to sing… It was a song that stopped all fighting, leaving his Akuma staring, as well as all the enemy nin. Everyone knew something was coming, but no one could tell what. A few tried to stop the clan head before anything could happen, but his apprentice held them off.

In a great explosion, the Akuma shed its very life force, desecrating the landscape, and killing everyone in the area… Everyone but the apprentice. The corpse of the Akuma fell, radiating a fell chakra that poisons the land to this day. The clan changed its name to Shimizu, and that honored clan head was named posthumously as the first Tsumikage, his apprentice the 2nd.

That chakra from his Akuma’s rage continues to radiate the village around us, our home its grave...

But hey, I only got a D in history anyways, so what do I know?”

Kurio grimaced, pushing himself up. Smacking right into a rock definitely wasn’t his proudest moment… maybe it was time to move away from the wall. Once his face stopped hurting. So in the meanwhile, he listened to her recount their history. “No, you’ve got all the most important parts. One thing that only seems to be taught to the clan is why we took the name we did. Not that it’s much of a secret.

‘Pure water,’ kind of an odd name isn’t it?”
Stepping away from the traitorous wall, he took a few steps towards her voice. “I certainly wouldn’t consider the water at the heart of the village pure. Pure anger and hate maybe.” He shrugged, continuing more towards what he hoped was the center of the path again. “I mean some argue it’s in reference and maybe reverence of that corrupted pool.” He chuckled, “it’s a lot more petty than that. A final middle finger to the village we left. Water’s the antithesis of fire after all.”

Sachiko shrugged before realizing no one could see it in the mist. “Yup. You ready to try again with that hint?” There was a small smile in her voice. The entire story was meant as a hint after all. She began to run again, whistling as she went. It wasn’t like Sachiko could see either, but she knew the difference between wall and air, meaning she didn’t have to worry about running headfirst into anything.

“Hint?” An annoyed hum as the world was dyed red once more. He still couldn’t really see much. Pitch black at the walls, red on the path, and the story of the village’s origin. All while in a mine looking for- “I’m an idiot,” Kurio groaned into his hand.

Shaking his head, he ran after the footsteps once more, wary of the path going black once more.

“Yup. To be fair, took me a few hours, got lost here when I was a kid. I tended to run away from my heiress trainings alot, cause I thought they were stupid. Still do. I ain't fit to lead nobody.”

Sachiko wasn’t moving, but the path in front of Kurio got black again.

“So, ran down here, got lost as hell, and picked up on the difference in about 4 hours. Didn’t figure out why til academy sensei went over the village history for the 1,000th time… Figure its good training... if you do have it figured out. Funny, while ore like this is valuable, our gems are more valuable, so Kounna tend to avoid this shaft for the ones with the gems more. More of a profit, which makes chakra resistant iron rarer. I kiiinda broke a friend of mine’s teacup, so hoping if I get him some ore he won’t be as mad as he was. Fun fact, did you know a blacksmith’s hammer can break rock when thrown hard enough?”

“Training to take over a clan sounds like a nightmare. I’m not really in line to take over the Shimizu-“
He paused as the world turned black once more. Taking a brief awkward moment to shuffle around the obstacle. “A lot would need to happen, but even I’m sick of listening to people complain that Aunt Ema isn’t married yet or has kids of her own.”

Kurio shrugged with a slight huff. “But this is pretty good training. Sensei seems like the type to throw us in something similar at some point. Weird about the ore though, do the crystals just absorb more?” He hadn’t really given the pendants much thought beyond them being a necessity. “Caaaan’t say that I did. But I guess it makes sense. It’s still a hammer, even if small.”

“Eh, not too much of a nightmare. Eventually I’ll convince them I’m a useless ninja and they’ll name Koki the heir and I can go back to being a lout… that’ll be the life… Anyways, yeah. I’m sure it's gotta be annoying being related to the Tsumikage though. I mean… how many times do people ask if they can meet her? Or she has to tell a relative to quit being annoying, she’s off the clock?

Oh, and this ore and the gem for the pendants are complete one 180’s of each other. This stuff reflects chakra away slightly. It's not the strongest, but a slight deflection can save a ninja. Makes a nice niche. However, bounces around our village’s chakra too, making it more potent. The crystals absorb the stuff, dragging it away from ya body.”

“Only the entire time I was at the academy. And then some. I have seen her get after clan members before. She never yells, but it's actually kinda terrifying.”
He listened to her talk about the differences between the ore and crystals they used. “Making a piece of armor of that could be useful… though I wonder if it’ll interfere with my medical jutsu.” Noting how her footsteps had stopped, he reached forward.

“You found me! See, now I have to make you a payment worth some effort. Give me a lil’ bit to find out how in the Sage of Six Paths's name to get you the autographed book.”

The lantern went back on, illuminating a narrow beam in front of them. Sachiko pulled out a scroll, reading over it a bit.

“A’ight, now for the part I need ya for. Most of this ore that makes up this place is too low in purity to be of any use ‘ccording to Master Yasutsuna’s notes I stole. Won’t be but a small part that’s reflective enough to be good. Needs to A) Be silver colored...”

The light flashed around, until it rested on a silver rock. “And B) Stop small techniques. Kurio, if you wouldn’t mind.”

Kurio winced, blinking in an attempt to force his eyes to adjust to the sudden intrusion of light. “You still let me win,” he said flatly but turned to look over the wall until Sachiko pointed out a silver vein. Nodding, he worked through a few short handsigns, forming a small orb of chakra in his hand and slowly passed it over the rock.

“Feels weird using a healing technique on… rock.”

“Ya still haven’t figured out that’s kinda my schtick?”
Sachiko watched the orb flicker and waver over some parts of the rock.

“I mean, what else was I going to ask for? Waka hits things with a hammer, I make snarky comments and make everyone else do the work, Shio does puppets, Shibata could make more rocks, and can’t say I know most of the class. To be honest I picked your name out of a hat.”

Over a part of the rock, the orb seemed to flicker out completely, Sachiko’s eyes widening with a smile.

Kurio gave a low hum, “I see… Well, whatever, it was still kinda fun- oh! This looks promising.” He notes as his technique flickered out of existence.

A pickax landed inches away from Kurio’s hand. “Ore ahoy!”

------------------

Yawning, Sachiko shuffled out of the mine, the village lights flickered out long ago. Sachiko checked her watch. “3 am… Not the latest I’ve got home. Hmm.. Debating if I just wanna stay up, got a mission in 4 hours. Hehehe, maybe I’ll go pass out at the mission gate. Oh well. Thanks for tagging along Kurio! Your payment’s half done. I’ll get you an autographed copy when I can, ya nerd.”

Kurio gave a brief, sleepy nod. He didn’t think they’d been in there that long. “I need to be up in a few hours too… should try for some sleep.” Ignoring her comment, he started down the road but stopped after a few steps. “Hey, Sachiko,” Kurio turned back towards her. “Have you considered training Koki? I’m assuming he’s your brother. If the Kounna’s anything like the Shimizu then they wouldn’t be teaching him half the things they’re trying to teach you. I-I mean if you didn’t want the title and he appeared ready while you didn’t…?” He shrugged, “I doubt it’d be so simple, but like you said getting people to do things for you is kinda your shtick.”

Sachiko laughed. “Ha. I can’t teach anyone. I don’t have good chakra coils, no elemental affinity. Koki’d be worse for my attempts. He needs to show me up, not catch up with me. I maaaay have left him a few clues where to look though. ‘Sides, worry ‘bout your own family. I’m sure the Tsumikage’s bragging about you to someone. You wouldn’t want to mess that up, would ya? Now… do I want to greet my sensei: dead asleep, or make a half brained trap that’ll probably catch Waka… decisions, decisions.”

The Duel for Meat

“Are you hungry? No? Well I’m starving.”

Okimi had spent most of her day trying to teach Feurey how to fetch. The dragon absolutely refused to chase after anything she threw! Her legs were tired beyond belief after chasing after her own sticks. It almost felt like she was the one fetching.

After a short walk, Okimi had arrived at her favorite shop. The shop was run by a friendly old lady and her granddaughter. Okimi didn’t know their names, but they liked Feurey, so she liked them. Okimi stepped into the shop, breathing in the delicious scent of cooked meat.

“Hello! I’d like a~” Okimi was cut off by the old woman.

“A meat bun, right? Sorry, we just ran out!”

As if on cue, Wakanaka had passed by the counter, he was just finishing up looking for something else in the store when he spotted the little scene… He… could feel an ill wind blowing, the source of his ill fortune sourced upon the meat bun in his hand…

Best he scurry along eh?

Most of the young girls his age were scary types, head down and run, don't look back.

Okimi’s nostrils flared, and she took a deep breath in through her nose. She craned her neck to the boy distancing himself at a brisk pace. Her eyes narrowed.

“Hey, fancy clothes kid, where do you think you're going with my meat bun?”

Okimi’s voice barely hid the rage boiling within her. The corners of her calm smile quivered.

The old woman raised her brows in surprise, before heading to the back rooms of her shop.

Wakanak paused for a moment, his eyes scanning towards the girl, he mustn't show fear. "I have already bought this meat bun, it is mine." He attempted to appeal to reason, his mind cursing him for travelling to the store on a day his fortunes said he would have Ill luck with women… Though hes been getting alot of those.

Perhaps he is not popular? Depressing thought.

"As such I shall be leaving now, I wish you a nice day miss." He bowed curtously before quick shuffling to the door. He had to escape this woman before she pressed further!

“Yes, let’s leave,” Okimi growled. She hurried after him once he slipped out the door. If she had to attack this boy, she didn’t want to do it in the shop.

Once outside, Okimi brought her thumb to her mouth, biting it so that it bled. She then firmly planted her thumb on her chest. In a sudden puff of smoke appears the green baby infant dragon, Feurey.

“Go get the meat bun boy!”

Feurey wasn’t a tracker by any means, but delicious meat like this rarely escaped his grasp. Feurey set his sights on Wakanaka, and charged.

"Why me?" The young man could only say as he began to run like a true ninja should from a bloodthirsty monster and it's draconic hound.

He just wanted a snack gods damn it, why!? Why!?!?!?!?

The young man began rushing down the street like a mailman running from a spirited dog, passerbys would find this hilarious, if not for the murderous aura of his pursuers.

“Just give up the meatbun! It’ll make this all hurt a lot less!” Okimi called out as she chased after Wakanaka.

It was obvious he was faster than him, but Feurey wasn’t so easy to shake. The little dragon kept up just enough to leap up, and latch his short razor sharp teeth into Wakanaka’s hindquarters.

His red eyes went wide, the pain shot through his body, he began yelling like a mad man as his buns slipped from the teeth, only for the clothes to be caught. In his panic he did what any young man would do, and abandoned his pants entirely.

Now in his small clothes he spun around, chain clinking to the floor and face in a stern glower.

"Your behavior is unabashedly rude and depraved! For a meatbun you accost and assault me? I shall have my recompense." His hands gripped the chain upon the ground, light bite marks on his behind shown through with red markings upon his fundoshi covered derriere.

He still had the meat bun in hand… But now… now he was mad… He dropped the packaged food on the floor and crushed it under his heel.

"Villain!!! Present thine head!"

Okimi stopped in her tracks, clutching her chest as if it was her own heart that had been stomped upon. Watching the very thing she desired so deeply be destroyed left her legs weak.

“So, you have chosen death.”

Feurey was still chewing on Wakanaka’s pants, but looked up in alarm upon noticing hearing Okimi’s words. He dropped the cloths, and reared his head towards the boy. The dragon took a deep breath, and then released a torrent of flames towards Wakanaka.

People nearby began scrambling away.

Okimi herself still seemed to be struggling over the death of the meat bun.

"Thats my line!!" Wakanaka began to rush right, swing a head over his own as he kept pace before the gout of flame. "Your foolishness brought this upon you! You succumbed to your carnal desires and struck a foe you shall forever regret angering!" He peeled away from range of the flames and duck into an alley way, disappearing from sight.

“I thought you were done running!” Okimi called out. “Go after him Feurey!”

The little green dragon, let the flames dissipate, and sprinted into the alleyway. Okimi herself kept a distance between herself and the alley, but ran to position herself so she could look into it. She didn’t want to let him get away without a few more wounds at the least.

“FOOL!!!” the sound of a crash could be heard from inside as a spray of water flowed out. “Let us douse that flame little dragon, with luck you will drown in your guilt as well!” a rain barrel that had been collecting for weeks, that is what Wakanaka had planned. He sent the contents and barrel hurtling down atop of the dragon with the open side facing down.

Feurey could only let out a high pitched cry as he was flushed out of the alley, and soaked in water. He stumbled along the ground trying to regain his footing, but tumbled down onto his belly. “Feurey! No!” Okimi formed a series of hand signs, before pointing her palm up towards Wakanaka. A small ball of fire floated towards him, although it wasn’t moving very fast. Once it reached him however, it would explode with a power force.

With that ball flying forwards, Okimi decided that Feurey had done enough today. He disappeared in a puff of smoke, as he was unsummoned.

Wakanaka’s eyebrows perked up, this young lady was a one trick pony!

He attempted to rush forwards with his body low… However… Much like the dragon it appears the ground would not be kind to Wakanaka either… As he tripped, and was sent sailing towards Okimi, much faster since the ball exploded behind him.
Okimi didn’t have time to reach for her wooden blade before Wakanaka crashed into her. His head slammed right into her stomach, sending them both tumbling backwards several meters into the side of a building. Okimi was stunned for a moment, but with Wakanaka splayed out on top of her, she decided this was her chance to strike! She reached into the pounch on her thight to grab a kunai, but just before she grabbed it, a soothing female voice called out.

“Would you two like some meatbuns?”

It was the old woman from before. She had a basket in hand with several fresh meatbuns inside. She smiled warmly, as she gazed upon the aftermath of the brief brawl.

...Well fuck.. Praise be to the elderly.

Wakanaka rolled off Okimi and waddled over to repants himself. “I am sorry, I think I will need to stay away from meatbuns for awhile. Thank you for offering though.” he gave a curteous bow to the old lady before looking to Okimi.

Stared more like.

Then turned with a huff. “A draw it is then.”

Okimi smiled and thanked the old woman before taking one of the meat buns. “So it is.” Okimi took a bite of the meat bun. With her mouth stuffed, Okimi said one last thing. “Next time you'll lose more than just your pants!”

“And your dragon won't be the only thing getting wet!” he shouted back, stomping away in frustration… Only to go home, write about it in his journal, read a little bit, and then soon go to bed.

And then.

Right then.

He would realize what he said.

And his groans of pain shall awaken the temple.

Lethal Training
Kurio Shimizu and Ichiro

A voice, gruff like nails on the chalkboard would wake Kurio early in the morning. It was amplified like by a sound system.

“Kurio Shimizu. Get your ass out here. Its training time.”

Prowling on the outside of the perimeters, a feral looking man walked up and down without actually entering. He knew better than that. He was slumped over and his hands freely moved with each step.

Kurio jolted awake, eyes rapidly scanning his room for the source of the noise. It had been such a captivating dream, traveling the world with an Akuma partner like in one of his manga. He was just about to challenge a village leader when that booming voice nearly had him jumping out of bed. He was quietly thankful his wasn’t one of those beds that were up off the floor.

It took a second before he finally registered who that voice belonged to. Scrambling out from under the blankets, he threw on some clothes and grabbed his kit. Just a minute later he was outside that ever-present smile on his features. “Good morning sensei,” a small bow, “I apologize for the wait.”

“Kissass.”

Ichiro motioned with his hand towards the edge of the village crater, one full of rocks and boulders. Ichiro sat atop one of them, slumped still with his hand over his knee. He practically glared at Kurio, and slammed down a timer of some sort… except none of the numbers were readable, they were changing too fast.

“Boy, what’s the most important skill for a ninja? What is it to be a ninja? Is it loyalty? Is it smarts? Strength?”

Kurio’s eyes narrowed slightly at the timer. The genin’s weight shifted forward in a vain attempt to focus on the numbers that flew by. A slight flinch when Ichiro broke the silence.

“A ninja?” He shifted his weight back to his heels as he thought. He could remember Jikan Sensei going on about how loyalty to one's village was paramount, that others would try to steal the skills unique to them and their village. “Jikan sensei always said that your skills made you important, but being loyal was what mattered most. That a disloyal shinobi would die at the hands of the ones they betrayed.”

Ichiro snarled, but nodded. “He’s not wrong…” Ichiro waited a moment, before sighing and standing up, to his full height.

“I’m not good at these indirect questions. Instincts. Decisiveness was what I was looking for. I don’t care what you do, how fast you react and what you do is what decides whether you live. Or die. At ‘die’ he punched a hole through the boulder he was sitting on.

“I don’t care if you’re a taijutsu specialist, ninjutsu, genjutsu or if you shit rainbows, you gotta think and respond fast. We’re working on that today. Training stops when either you tell me what three numbers are on that clock, or when I have to explain to the Tsumikage why her nephew is in between 2 and 6 pieces.” Ichiro cracked his neck rather unsettling, a rather flexible amount, then cracked the other side.

He was suddenly in front of Kurio, his hand outstretched like a claw above him. “GO!”

Suddenly it came down with a dreadful amount of force, slashing hard enough that the air itself flew out like blades from it, a claw mark left several feet out in the rock.

Kurio kept his eyes focused on Ichiro as he stood, slowly nodding. The genin very visibly flinched when he seemingly effortlessly punched a hole into stone. It made the hair on the back of his neck stand on end. Kurio tried to bite back the fear that threatened to bubble up.

”Emotions are dangerous,” the clan would always say, ”they’ll only get you killed . . . . Your enemy will manipulate you if you show them what you’re thinking. The beast will take advantage of your weakness.”

And yet, Kurio couldn’t help but blink at his sensei’s last remark. “Wait-“ He didn’t get a chance to say anything else with Ichiro suddenly looming over him. “Uwah!” Despite the training, the constant reminders from his own family, he couldn’t stop the short, frightened yell that left his lips. He barely rolled to the side, under Ichiro’s swing. Though the swipe likely took some hair.

The mask had shattered for the time being, brown eyes watching the man with genuine fear. Pure muscle memory was probably the only thing stopping him from fumbling the handsigns. A blue glow enveloping both hands.

Good… Use that fear. Every time you’re in the field, remember that feeling.” Ichiro slowly pulled his hand out the ground, a sudden ‘thud’ as his fingers came free. Rising to a fuller height he walked towards Kurio in a drawn-out gate.

Ichiro’s hand twitched again, and he rocketed at Kurio with a thrust of his outstretched palm, trying to impale him on his hand after a burst of speed.

Use it? Kurio dove towards the side. Ichiro’s movements were nearly impossible to keep track of. A swing of his own, looking to even just graze the outstretched arm. The chakra scalpel could sever veins and muscles without breaking the skin. Though the technique wasn’t made for battle, being finicky on a good day.

Today was not a good day.

To Kurio’s surprise, the hit landed, though Ichiro refused to show any sign of whether or not it had landed. He followed immediately up with a kick, aiming to punch Kurio straight over the training area and by the clock again.

“Decisiveness doesn’t come when you’re thinking what to do. It’s an ‘in the moment’ thing. You think I don’t feel fear every time a blade comes by me? It’s… exhilarating when you learn to use it. Don’t kill your emotions. Let them run WILD!”

Ichiro was on him again both hands raised as if he was about to cut an X straight through Kurio.

The genin had yet to recover his footing when the kick flew at him. Kurio crashed and tumbled across the hard earth, sliding to a stop near the clock. Whose numbers continued to rush by in a blur.

Ichiro said:
”Training stops when either you tell me what three numbers are on that clock, or when I have to explain to the Tsumikage why her nephew is in between 2 and 6 pieces.”

Ichiro was over him before he even start to scramble back to his feet. He’s actually- Kurio could hear his heart pounding in his ears. For a moment, time actually seemed to slow. Without even thinking, he shot a glance to the side.

“F-five three seven!”

A stiff breeze flew by. Ichiro’s claw like fingers were inches away from Kurio’s shoulders. Ichiro gave a relieved sigh.

“Good. That, that is the value of fear. It slows down things and makes you even quicker. Combine that with decisive action, and you can fight people much, much stronger than you. And win.”

Ichiro popped his back and started to walk towards town. He then motioned for Kurio to follow.

“You ain’t had breakfast yet, have ya? I doubt you’re much good for training the rest of the day, problem this training has. Come on. I’ll cook.”

Kurio blinked up at him. It took a second to process that Ichiro had stopped short of actually landing the blow. Fear could do that? He swallowed, wishing his heart would slow back down. “Then… why does everyone always say how dangerous it is?” The genin finally pushed himself back to his feet, trying to ignore the way his hands trembled slightly.

The fear had faded. Replaced instead by a strange, inexplicable… thrill.

And being hungry. The mention of food had succeeded in reminding him of that. “Alright, sensei,” Kurio said as he followed after him.

The Caravan Arrives!
Kurio and Okimi

The Vermillion Market was situated just outside of Tsumigakure’s South Gate. Close enough to still be considered part of the village, but far enough one didn’t need the help of a crystal to do business. Though many still complained about a faint burning in the air that made their skin itch. It was a small, open-air affair, with a smattering of tents and stalls. Those local to Tsumigakure found their stalls situated closer to the village as visiting traders were too afraid to draw near. Once a week the area came to life as people from small outlying villages - mostly farmers - came to sell what they could offer to the village of shinobi.

Kurio stepped out of the gate into the already busy marketplace, looking over a list he’d been given. It wasn’t uncommon for the younger clan members to get roped into helping with the shopping, though… “Miso, why do I always end up with the heavy stuff?” The young genin lamented. He looked around the market, seeing what all was there today. Totally not stalling on his errands.

A young Yamamoto girl drummed her fingers on the counter of her stall, clearly bored. Most of the people that came in didn’t have any interest in the jewelry the clan crafted. Though occasionally someone would bring a stone or crystal for them to identify. A pair of Ogumo worked at a more popular stall, selling all manner of clothes and taking measurements. Old man Amakuni sat at the largest stall, a small forge running behind him. He had many new tools on offer, but would repair those brought in as well. Though sitting on his counter today were more elaborate creations, more for display than actual use. Which could only mean- “The caravans are coming today!”

They always brought goods from far beyond Tsumigakure’s borders. Maybe they’d have new books with them this month?

The markets always annoyed Okimi. She couldn’t let Feurey run free after what happened last time… Even so, her mother was confident the caravans would come in today. The caravans always brought a spice her whole family adored, and Okimi was the one always tasked with buying it. It was a hassle, but she enjoyed seeing everyone so happy when she returned with it.

However, Okimi wanted to visit that old man Amakuni before she left. Her mom said that one day she’d get to pick out a blade of her own once she was good enough with her wooden nodachi. Okimi was about to head over there right away, but noticed a familiar face across the way.

“Kurio!” Okimi called out. She hurried over to him, and smiled. “I don’t think I’ve seen you here before, what are you looking for?”

Kurio blinked at the familiar voice, turning towards Okimi as she ran over. “Good morning Okimi.” He shrugged, holding up the list in his hand. “Miso mostly, though I think the caravan’s going to be in today. Was hoping to see what they have. Maybe the next volume of Blade of the Phantom Master.”

“Blade of the Phantom Master? I’ve only read the first but I thoroughly enjoyed it.” Okimi rarely spent time reading, but one of the few books she did read just happened to be the first volume of that series.

“I read it because I’ve been thinking about swords and the like a lot recently. I was actually gonna visit Grandpa Amakuni later to browse a bit today too,” Okimi continued on, placing her hands on her hips.

“Mind if I come with you to the caravan? I need to pick up some spice.”

“Oh, it’s a great series! There’s a swordsman he encounters later that claims to make his blade out of nothing but killing intent. Always wondered if that was actually possible. I mean chakra blades are, but-” Kurio blinked, clearing his throat. “I don’t mind if you come along.” He started down the road, ignoring the slight flush to his face.

“Oh? Killing intent? I don’t think I’ve heard of that. When I get my own sword, I just want something simple. Long and heavy, but simple.” Okimi tapped her chin as she walked.

“What about you? Any kind of weapons you dream about having one day?”

Kurio hummed, folding his hands behind his head. “A weapon? Hmm not really, right now I’m mainly just a medic. Though I should really focus on some kind of combat technique…

“Oh yea, I guess that’s true… well leave the fighting to me and Tsubaki for now then.” Okimi thought the idea of a ninja just being a medic was idiotic, but she figured that if he made it this far he must be doing a good job at it.

“So… just how much can you medics really heal someone? Can you heal burnt flesh?”

“I’m working on the combat part though… trying to.” Kurio tilted his head at the question, “Uh… to a degree? Depends on the severity, I’m still only in training. But minor burns I can heal fairly well.”

“Perfect! I get lots of burns, so you’ll be a big help. Feurey always manages to burn me during training somehow.” Of course, Okimi was usually the one burning herself in truth.

“I should probably stock up on some more burn cream then…” He nodded, “I’ll see what I can do next time.”

“Oh, let’s stop here!” Okimi said suddenly.

The pair were in front of a small flimsy wooden stand in front of a small wagon. Running the stand was a young man likely only in his early to mid twenties. He had various pouches with different labels across the counter. His eyes lit up when he noticed Okimi.

“Green girl! You’re back! Where’s the lizard?”

“It’s a dragon. Anyway, I’m here for the usual. Friacra Salt.” Okimi replied calmly.

“I got that already all prepared for you. Here ya go!” The man reached below the counter, and hoisted up a bag about twice as large as the ones already on the counter.

Okimi reached into her pocket and handed the man a handful of coins. “Here you go. Thank you again sir.”

“Of course, of course! See you next time lizard girl!”

Kurio held a hand up to his mouth in a suppressed chuckle as he watched the exchange. Lizard girl, huh? He could see Ichiro calling her that at some point. The Shimizu eyed the procured sack with no small bit of curiosity as they started walking once more. “I don’t think I’ve ever heard of Friacra Salt before… what is it?”

Vendors called out to them as they walked. “You kids wanna try some purple carrot juice?” One particularly boisterous voice called, “100 Ryo a bottle!”

“Purple Carrot Juice? That sounds repulsive,” Okimi whispered to Kurio. She held up the bad to Kurio, and shook it a little. “Friacra Salt is from Jingagakure. Well, it is from their territory at least. It’s super spicy if you don’t cook it. If you put it on before you cook your meat, then you might actually be able to handle it.

Kurio nodded at the explanation, no wonder it was something Okimi could only get from the caravans then. Even then the Land of Fire likely wouldn’t be too happy about it if they knew where it was being sold.

Maybe. The politics were all a little over the ge in’s head.

He turned towards the loud vendor, warily studying the bottles at his teammate’s comment. “I mean… I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try some?” The vendor beamed as he passed over a small bottle in exchange for the coins.

A hesitant sniff. “Just smells like carrots?” A small sip, his expression wrinkling more out of confusion than disgust. “It’s just… sweeter carrots?”

“Really? Let me try then.”
Okimi accepted the bottle from Kurio and took a gulp. It did in fact taste like carrots, except, sweeter.

“Huh, I guess it ain’t bad,” Okimi said with a nod before handing Kurio back the bottle.

“No, just… purple,” Kurio mused as the pair started walking again. “Wonder if the carrots are actually purple or did they add something?” He shrugged, taking another drink. “Wonder if it would be good on Kakigori?”

“Er… I’m not really a fan of cold things like that. They make me feel odd. Anything warm and spicy is more up my alley. Perhaps it is just how I was raised,” Otomi began, “although I do enjoy a good chocolate cake.”

“Oh yeah? Cakes tend to be too rich to me.” He shrugged, stopping at another cart. This one was run by an older woman, her hair pulled back into a loose bun. “Hello young man,” She smiled, “looking for comics today?”

“Yes please, I was hoping you had the new volumes of Blade of the Phantom Master, The Dawn King, Tales of the Crystal Braves, or Akumon?”

“Hmm let me take a look,” the woman climbed up into the cart to look through the boxes of books.

“Oh, I kind of like Akumon too. Feurey is better than any of them of course though!” Okimi said proudly. “I don’t read it much though. Feurey usually burns any books i buy eventually.”

“You could read them at my house if you want!” Kurio hesitated, “just… no dragon summons please?”

“You’d let me do that? I’ll take you up on that sometime then. I’ll be sure to leave Feurey at home if I come over too.” Although Okimi hated to leave Feurey behind, having him burn someone else’s collection of literature wasn’t something she wanted to be responsible for. Kurio was a good friend after all.

Kurio smiled, “let me know when you want to come over then.”

Fianlly, the woman emerged from the cart, only carrying a pair of books. “Looks like it’s just Blade of the Phantom Master and Akumon this time.”

The genin nodded, passing her the money. “I’m glad you had a couple of them at least.” Kurio tucked the books into a bag, “Maybe next month, then.”

“Maybe.” The older woman turned towards Okimi, “and what about you, miss? Looking for anything in particular?”

“Me? Oh no thank you,” Okimi replied politely. She gave the old women a slight bow and turned back to Kurio.

“I think I’m going to head home now, Kurio. If you have finished all of your business here, I wouldn't mind if you walked back with me.” Okimi was ready to head home now, but didn’t want to just ditch Kurio out of the blue.

“Sure.” He rubbed the back of his neck, “you’ll uh, need to lead the way, however.”

“No problem. I think my home is one the way to yours anyway.” Okimi turned and began heading back towards the village, spice bag in tow. In all honesty, she would have gladly bought something from that lady if she had the money for it. Admitting she was a bit poor wasn’t something she intended to do.

“Oh?” He followed along as they descended the path back into the crater, a familiar shroud of mist soon surrounded the genin. Kurio hummed, “Guess I do live closer to the heart of the village than most of the clans.” Their compound was still far enough from the well to be safe - all things considered - but it was closer than most wished to make their homes.

“Ya know, I’m pretty impressed with this village,” Okimi began. “Being able to make a living in a giant miasma filled crater is impressive if you ask me.” Once back in the village Okimi took a route leading north more along the edge of the village rather than going towards the center. “Wouldn’t it be easier to just live like… anywhere else?”

Kurio hummed, “Perhaps,” he looked up at the sky as they walked. “Had the explosion not unearthed these crystals, we would have moved on elsewhere.” The purple haired genin withdrew his own crystal pendent from beneath his shirt. Blue in color, it glowed faintly as it absorbed the miasma around them. “With the help of these, this is probably the safest village there is. And even with one, an intruder couldn’t get to the heart of the village and survive.”

“I suppose you’re right. We are safe here. I guess I just don’t feel like I belong here sometimes. Probably because no one else runs around with a dragon all day I guess.” Okimi’s route took a sharp turn towards the village center for a little while, before she was in front of her home. It was a decent size, built for an average family.

“Well, this is my home. I suppose I’ll see you soon, Kurio.”

Kurio smiled and gave a slight shrug, “I’m sure sensei will have us up bright and early for some form of training or mission. But I’ll see you then.” He waited until she was inside before reaching for one of the books he’d bought. A small piece of paper fluttered to the ground. “Oh no, the miso!” In a panic, the genin sprinted back down the street towards the markets.

Bat crazy Genin
-Collab of Sachiko, Shioreta, and Okimi-

Pebbles started to tap against the windows of Shioreta’s room. They were quiet at first a mere ‘ting’, but started to get larger as they pelted against the frame instead, until a large ‘BANG’ shook the room as a firework burst against it instead. Rolling on the ground below literally holding her sides laughing was Sachiko, her teammate. Sachiko had had that firework all day and had been looking for some use for it.

Shioreta’s attention had been locked onto her puppet Hageshi. Their mission up the mountain had left the puppet slightly scraped up and the joints slightly misaligned. It was nothing some polish and a little tinkering couldn’t help to fix up to make sure her puppet worked precisely as she directed it to. It was the type of work that left her rather distracted as the taps on her window barely registered as she fine tuned the puppet.

The complacency to the sound was quickly put to an end as the sound of a bang from a firework caused Shio to jump in her seat nearly messing up the fine adjustments she had spent several minutes on working nearly toppling off. She gasped for air as her hands fumbling to grab her inhaler quickly using it. The girl relaxed, shaking her head. She placed the inhaler down beside her tools before wandering up to the window, glancing out to see Sachiko rolling around on the group laughing. She glared at her for a second, the expression softening as she put on a light smile.

“Ah… um… Sachiko, what brings you here?” She spoke with a sweet tone of voice as if to subdue any urge to murder her squadmate for her stunt.

Sachiko gasped for air, holding a hand to speak, but falling back to the ground with her sides chuckling. And occasional ‘ow’ coming from her. Grabbing her side, she shook again, before getting up.

“I’m abducting you! Got a mission off the books I need doin’. And you’re the perfect genin! I’m harvesting parts from the legendary Sefirot tree. Its kiiiinda out the village though… That black wood’s perfect for puppet parts though! So, what’cha say, you’re with me, ain’t’cha? Also bribed some crazy chick to help us. She apparently near killed her newly assigned squad the other day. Sounds dependable. You in?”

Shioreta looked down at Sachiko tilting her head to the side a bit questioningly. It seemed a little fishy… though she didn’t mind the idea of going out to do something with someone else here age, even if to some small extent she wanted to murder her for the prank she pulled on her. She nodded in response.

“Sure! Let me just get my things and I’ll be right out!”
She spoke with a warm smile ducking back in her window to get her puppet being careful as to not disturb her workplace in the process of sligning her puppet on her back using her chakra strings to more easily attach the puppet to her back like a backpack. She really needed to work on making it easier to carry around her puppet. She wandered to the window jumping out from it landing on her feet near Shioreta.

“Ready to go when you are!”
She spoke with a rather upbeat tone beaming.

“Eh… bit of a walk, let’s just go tomorrow morning. Crack of down at like… 8:00? We’re going East gate to meet with Okimi from the academy. The crazy chick with a lizard? Got green hair. Yeah. That one. I’ll meet you there!”

Her expression turned a little bit awkward still keeping a light smile as she nodded.

“Ah..a...alright! I’ll see you then.” She spoke a little deflated though lifting her hand out giving a thumbs up. Thats what they usually did right?

“See you then!”
--------------------------------------------
A light yawn escaped Shioreta’s lips as she stretched her arms out still trying to fully wake herself up. Her work on her puppet had kept her up a bit later then she intended, in part due to a sense of paranoia she might have messed up the fine tuning when Sachiko had set off the firework on her while she was trying to fix Hageshi up. The puppet rested upon her back like a backpack once again looking a bit nicer then it had the day before with an extra degree of polish being applied the night before.

She turned her head about glancing around looking for the two fellow genin who were supposed to be there. Late… or perhaps she was a bit early. It was hard to tell really with her. She liked to be punctual to a fault always making sure to arrive a bit earlier with this morning being no exception.

“Hopefully they both get here soon… it wouldn’t be fun to have to go alone…”

About a minute later, Okimi arrived. She didn’t look happy though. Her usual slight smile was replaced by a very serious expression. She didn’t bring her wooden nodachi with her today. Instead, she brought a small bag filled with various dried meats. She had a canteen full of water inside as well.

“Hello Shioreta. Where is Sachiko?”
Okimi asked. She intended to demand more payment for guiding them there, as not only was this dangerous, it made her incredibly nervous as well. If Okimi was gonna do this, she wanted to make sure it was totally worth it.

Shioreta looked up seeing Okimi. The girl smiled lifting her frail hand up waving lightly despite the rather ‘cold’ expression on the girl’s face. She wasn’t quite sure why she appeared to be so sour looking though she didn’t want to try and make things worst by questioning her about it.

“Hello…. Okimi right?” She spoke with a sweet tone coming up warm and upbeat attempting to keep a positive spin. She wasn’t exactly sure how she might take the fact that Sachiko appeared to be late. It wasn’t as if she could stall for time about it, better to just come right out with it.

“Ah… Sachiko? I’m… not really sure. She said she would be here at 8:00 sharp… maybe she… got stuck in… traffic?”
She spoke as she attempted to come up with some form of humor not really being good at that sort of thing. She wasn’t about to drop to Sachiko levels of depravity and start delivering puns quite yet.

A groan could be heard, and in the distance, a girl came with hand to her head, dark circles under her eyes, and pink hair that faded to black.

“8:00’s so early… ugh…” She drooled slightly, passing out against a rock, before shaking herself awake. “I’m ready, I’m ready!”

Looking around she spotted Okimi as well. “Great! Gang’s all here. Now for the first part of the mission. We’re busting out! They have guards much stronger than lil ol’ genin who are supposed to make sure genin don’t sneak out. Or really anyone. But luckily, I’m lucky! Now…” Sachiko pointed at the little guard house next to the road, with a ninja inside scanning the area, looking at the rocks to the village, and then back to his paperwork. Sachiko started to apply some coloring under her eyes, making the shadows disappear.

“I don’t have a clue! How we gunna get him to look the other way?”

“We could light the guardhouse on fire.” Okimi suggested.

“What? No no! We aren’t going to go lighting the guardhouse on fire!”
Shioreta quickly retorted waving her hands in front of her as if extremely opposed to the idea.

“I mean that would be far too suspicious and they could view that as an attack. Really anything that might come off like some shinobi tactic would be a bad idea since that could make them think it is an attack. We have to be more subtle about it and take advantage of the fact we are coming from the village where they might be less suspicious of us.”

“Aw, but I like fire” Sachiko said sarcastically. She looked at the house again, making sure the guard wasn’t looking.

“So, we gotta do something not shinobi like. Or at least don’t get caught as ninja!. Hmm… Ah! Let’s get caught! ‘Less someone else has an idea. I like getting caught. ”

“Oh. We can all just transform into shuriken or something. We can have Feurey carry us out.”
Okimi said. She put her hand to her chest, and in a puff of smoke, the little green dragon appeared on the ground before them. Feurey yawned, and looked around at the new faces.

“Well… using that general idea… we could pose as civilians… perhaps merchants from the village heading out of town? It would be better if we had a cart or something to look like we are carrying goods from the village to trade though…. But we could maybe make it work and appear less suspicious. We don’t want to be someone too prominent from the village they might be more aware of…”
Shioreta spoke up, putting her finger to her chin in thought.

Sachiko sighed with a trolling smile on her face.

“I’ve long since learned the worst ideas are the best ideas, why do civilians when we can scare the daylights out of them! Okimi, turn into me. And uh... “
Sachiko emptied her black bag, shoving its contents into her regular bag and holding the bo shurikens with a great deal of strain. She looked longingly at her new pun book: Unlimited Quip Works, then discarded it in the rubble. She through her black bag at Okimi. “Put your pet gecko in that afterwords. Aaaaand malarkey hour activate.”

Sachiko held a handsign and did the exact opposite of what Shioreta had suggested, transforming into Miho.

“Give me a second, gotta get the tired of life with a smoker’s lung accent juuuust right…”

Shioreta looked on watching Sachiko transform into Miho a look of worry on her face momentarily before attempting to hide it away with an awkward smile.

“I.. um… d… do you think that’s a good idea? Acting as our Sensei of all people?”
She spoke, thinking of how risky it was to pretend to be a Jonin, and Miho on top of it. She couldn’t help but feel she was already nearing the point of wanting to murder them all, particularly after that ‘picturre’ incident from the other day.

Okimi rolled her eyes. They didn’t have time for fooling around when they had a difficult journy already ahead. However, she wasn’t in the mood to argue. She made a handsign, and in a puff, transformed into Sachiko.

“I’m not putting Feurey in any bag.”
She stated bluntly.

Sachiko-Miho rolled her eyes. “Whatever, kid.” And started to scoop up book, stowing it away, before deciding to transform it into an empty cigarette carton. “Send him off, I don’t care.” Her voice was slowly becoming more like Miho’s, though it was a case of trial by effort. A long sigh came as she memorized her character a bit more.

“Sensei wants to murder everyone. We’re not worth the effort most of the time.” Her fingers twitched, reaching for a cigarette from the empty cigarette box. “Risky’s what we want. Too dumb for people to actually do. This guy’s working a 9 to 5 job no one cares about. He’s bored as shit.” Sachiko dropped her first curse word, looking aggravated into the sky. “We know sensei, she has reason to leave the village, and is higher ranked. We go with random civilians we gotta come up with backstories or some crap, and discrepancies could arise. We’re just on our way to a normal mission. He asks for paper work, I put the fear of Miho in him.”

Sachiko-Miho’s hand rested on Shio’s shoulder, her voice changing to Sachiko’s. “Sides, lying’s what I do! If I ever told the truth, I might just explode from unknown feelings! Just act natural. And you, Okimi-Sachiko. Just be as annoying and trolling as possible! That’s my normal mask!”

Sachiko-Miho gulped as she stood up, then began to approach.

“Just… don’t go saying too much. Oh! Play off the fact you’re out of cigarettes! That might help pull off the grumpy Miho act a lot better and make the guard more leery!”
She spoke a bit of uneasy filling her for suggesting such a thing feeling a bit more guilty. She was trying to do her best to stay on their sensei’s good side yet she seemed to keep doing things that made it worse.

Okimi groaned. She didn’t know Sachiko very well, so being her would be difficult. Staying quiet was an idea, but if someone spoke to her, she wouldn’t know what to say. She supposed she could just tell a lie of some sort.

Stifling a yawn, Ryota glanced at his watch before casting another glance around the gate. Just another hour and the chuunin could go home for the day. Assuming his replacement wasn’t late. Again. Hearing the shuffle of approaching footsteps, he turned towards the trio and bit back a groan. Dammit, why?

A halfhearted wave, “morning, Miho.”

“Mornin’.” Sachiko-Miho grunted, giving a half hearted wave, reaching for the cigs, and snarling again. Mumbling, she glanced back to see if the other two were doing anything stupid. Or if there was still a dragon on them…

She kept walking hoping to make it straight through the gate.

Shioreta scurried along, following a few steps behind ‘Miho’ acting normal. Her eyes darted over to Okimi not quite sure how well she would pull off acting as Sachiko. Truth be told, it wasn’t as likely the chuunin would likely even know much about her. As long as the guard didn’t question them it seemed best to just keep quiet and not risk exposing themselves, a light smile on her lips attempting to act cheerful while at the same time not overly so.

Okimi tapped her cheek as she walked, as if she was lost in thought as she walked. Pretending to be someone else was pretty stressful, as Okimi felt like the guard would know right away what was going on. Of course there was no way they could be found out just from looks. She’s just hope she wasn’t spoken to.

“Ah, Miho, aren’t you forgetting something?” He gestured to a clipboard he was holding. “Sorry, but Tsumikage’s orders and all that.”

Sachiko-Miho glared, though it really was just an excuse to glance at the clipboard.

“Look, I’m out of cigs, and got these brats to deal with the next few hours. Just remind me on my way back. Got any on you?”

A dangerous game. Sachiko secretly hoped the answer was no.

Shioreta blinked looking curiously over still with a smile plastered on her lips hiding the unease.

Okimi decided to speak up. “Wow sensei, you must really be going through withdrawal. Forgetting such important things before a mission?” Okimi hoped that sounded Sachiko enough to pass.

“Although… I did hear some kids back there talking about lighting the guardhouse on fire. I’m sure they were joking but… oh well whatever.”

Ryota arched an eyebrow at Miho, but reached into a drawer and withdrew a cigarette. It belonged to the second shift, but oh well. Serves him right for being late. “Look, I hate the paperwork as much as everyone else. But you know it isn’t much, just who’s going and where to.” He offered the cigarette and flicked on the lighter.

Green eyes looked over at the disguised Okimi, “They want angry jounin on them? Because that’s how you get angry jounin.”

Sachiko-Miho took the cigarette, lit it, and began to wander off with it between her fingers.

“Yup. Real angry Jonin. Thank goodness we got one here who cares that much...”

She walked through the gate regardless. Dull expression on the inside, internal screaming on the inside, the screams of a broken soul who took on waaaay too much. She’d never seen sensei sign anything! She might try a forge signature if she had any clue what sensei wrote like. Probably lazily and half assed… probably descending style… Medium sized… bah too many details! Forgery was only something Sachiko’d looked up for fun, she was no expert.

Forget Miho, at this rate Shioreta was going to kill her!

Shioreta kept that fake smile on her lips as it was clear things weren’t going according to plan, not that this plan was at all what she saw as a good idea to begin with. The idea of there being any sort of paperwork to sign hadn’t even been a thought in her mind. Her nose twitched at the smoke in the air as it was already getting to her. She bit her lip thinking a little bit. Suddenly she held her hands up coughing, looking a bit distressed.

“S… sensei...y… you said you would try to not smoke around me, not at least till we… hurry and… get my sp… special inhaler. I f.. Feel like I’m… going to pass out… if we don’t hurry.”
She spoke out her words intersected by small fits of coughs and wheezes looking a bit pale as she purposely altering the way she breathed taking advantage of the poor state of her lungs to spur on a more natural sounding reaction. It was far from the best idea but she hoped it might cause the guard to let them through quickly without signing.

Okimi tried to put on her best worried expression, but she wasn’t quite sure how it looked with Sachiko’s face. “Come on sensei, you proooooomised you wouldn’t.” She looked up at Miho, giving her some sort of puppy dog eyes. Okimi went over to Shioreta and rubbed her back. “It’ll be ok, sensei would never break her promise.”

Sachiko-Miho grumbled, a small amount of rage filling her face as she looked like she was about to put out the cigarette on Shioreta’s head, before sighing, snubbing it, and still putting it her pouch. “Tch.” She body flickered away in a puff of smoke, secretly suddenly VERY happy to have picked up the skill recently.

Shioreta watched as Sachiko quickly body flickered away. It was far from the ideal way she wanted to slip through though hopefully this all worked out in their favor. She really hoped Miho wouldn’t find out about this given how she made herself blatently involved in this scheme herself rather playing second fiddle.

“S…. sensei! Pl… please wait up!” She spoke suddenly taking off trying to run after her playing up being a bit helpless as to hopefully sell the performance more as she took off running attempting to catch up hoping the entire ploy worked.

Ryota watched the trio run off, humming as he rested his chin in his free hand. The chuunin ça his pen against the clipboard, “Wonder if I should tell their sensei…?”

As Shio ran after, likely with Okimi, the transformation popped off Sachiko, who was left panting. She tossed the cigarette away. “Gee willikers…That’s such a bitter persona. Now my mouth feels like its full of bad words.” She stuck her tongue out like it had something nasty on it, but was still smiling. “Well, that was fun. So… you guys ready for the next part. I don’t know much more than rumors, so, uh… Okimi, you got the way? I gotta get back in character, so Imma be a minute or two. Know it’s towards Hanegakure, so… know its east at least.”

“Northeast, actually.” Okimi released her transformation. She started adjusting her hair, before taking out her map. Yes, Northeast. She looked towards a direction, and started walking.

“We’ll be taking a longer route to try and avoid Hanegakure ninja. I hope that is ok with you both,”
Okimi said she began. A small green dragon suddenly ran between Shioreta’s legs and to Okimi. It was Feurey, chasing after them. He hopped onto Okimi’s shoulder. She didn’t seem to mind.

Shioreta had a smile on her lips hiding the bit of uneasy she felt. She was all for being risky and doing things she shouldn’t really be doing, but potentially invoking their jonin’s wrath was one thing she couldn’t quite feel that easy with. Being murdered by Miho would be fine, she was more worried it could close off opportunities to learn! She looked to Okimi as she suggested taking a longer route as Shioreta gave a nod.

“A scenic route would be nice! It’s fun to spend time with other shinobi!”
She spoke with an upbeat tone. It was true, though part of it was due to the lower risk. They weren’t in any hurry to get there and avoiding being caught would get them a much better shot at actually getting in and out quickly with what they had in hand.

Sachiko nodded.“Hmm… yeah, sounds good…” She shook her head. “Bubbly…” She said randomly, and repeated it a few times as she paced back and forth looking confused. But as they walked the scenic route, her voice turned more and more back to normal. She even started a few cringier jokes such “What’s the worst part of planning a party in space? You have to ‘planet’” or her personal seeming rant of that time a convicted hit man confessed that he was once hired to beat a cow to death in a rice field using only two small porcelain figures. Police
admit this may be the first known case of a knick-knack paddy whack.She smiled while holding out her hands “Eh!? Eh!?” she asked, expecting response.

The scenery started to change as they made their way out the valley, the air starting to be less miasma riddled, and plants starting to actually grow. It wasn’t til a while later though that the really interesting sights started to occur. A shadow cast over the group, likely making some of them jump, it was far too big to not be worried about, and above them a massive rock. It looked like the sky was falling. Only that was the problem… it wasn’t. It simply floated there above them, floating by in a long orbit.

The sky was full of such awe inspiring views, with occassionally a mythical sized mouth seen spiralling between the islands. Dragons, eagles, bat, all manner of summons. Majestic and terrifying. As the group made their way under a particularly large floating island it started to get darker and darker.

“Uh… you still know the way Okimi?”

“I believe so,” Okimi replied after a short pause. She stuck one of her hands out, a puff of flame arose, lighting up the area around them, although dimly. She continued forward into the dark, Feurey chirping as they moved.

“Feurey says to watch your step.”

As they continued forward, oval shaped eggs could be seen strewn across the ground.

“It’s a straight shot now.”

The otherwise rather quiet Shioreta couldn’t help but stop to admire the sights, looking on with intrigue at what she was witnessing. She hadn’t really paid much thought to just what the place they were going to look like and it was far beyond any expectation she could have had. She gave a simple nod to Okimi as she was careful to watch herself, luckily possessing a little bit of agility at least as to not go fumbling around going crashing into the eggs strewed across the floor.

“It seems a little strange leaving your eggs just all over the place like this.”
She spoke with a pause with a painful smile on her face regretting immediately before even a sound was uttered. “Om-e-let… that go for now.” She smiled though of all her fake smiles that had to be one of the most obvious ones she Shio ever gave. Why did she do that?

Sachiko gasped, stopping in place, like she’d found something important, before turning and hugging Shioreta in probably the tightest bear hug she’d ever gotten, lifting her off the ground. “The student is becoming the master! I’m so proud!”

In the distance, a dark outline could barely be seen. While the rest of the place was dim, this particular object was pitch black, emitting no light whatsoever. Sachiko dropped Shio, gasping at it. With a bit of focus, it started to become more clear, twisted gnarled branches, no leaves, yet growing, it was a tree. A tree that was pitch black. Also massive and in the distance.

“So… everyone know tree climbing?”

Sachiko pulled out a small hatchet and sledge she’d brought for the mission. “I’m suddenly worried this isn’t enough for the mighty Sefirot tree…”

In the distance, Sachiko strained against a particularly dark black blob.

“Uh-oh… is that...Tch… Guys remind me to finish a dojutsu here later.”

A top a large winged mount, a shadow suddenly blitzed them, talons reaching out try and grab one of them, the creature suddenly grappling at Shioreta.

Shioreta was hardly prepared for what had come in some part left distracted. She was quick to turn her head just in time for the winged creature to be approaching its talons stretched out. Shio quickly moved suddenly diving to fall flat on the ground only to find herself lifted in the air, the talons managing to not find their way onto her but to her puppet attached to her back. She watched the ground quickly move by as she began to be lifted in the air, her puppet’s grip around her keeping her locked in place..

Shioreta lifted her one hand up as her chakra strings attached to her puppet. She pulled four of her fingers as the claws suddenly retracted causing the puppets legs to release her, letting her drop. The genin quickly spun herself around landing on her feet cringing a little bit from how high it was, her fragile body buckling a little bit though fortunately not being injured in the process as she looked up towards her puppet still held in the beast’s talons.

“My puppet!” She shouted out looking up uneasily uncertain just what it was that attacked her beyond it being bird-like and could fly.

Okimi let out an annoyed growl, as she watched Shioreta nearly get snatched away. “Who the hell is that?” Okimi asked aloud. She already had an idea, as most people didn’t come here without a reason. The reason people didn’t come was… “There’s usually a dragon here.”

There weren’t very many dragons left. Poachers hunted them down vigorously, and Hanegakure didn’t make an effort to stop them. The fact that they saw one flying earlier was special. So now, these had to be poachers here going after the dragon eggs.

Sachiko leapt. That was a bit bird from its shadow.

“Yeah. DEEEFINTELY remind me to get on dojutsu training!”

Shioreta fell from the sky next to Sachiko, Okimi’s light once again luminating her. Sachiko jumped. She wasn’t normally this bad on a mission, but it was on the outside of her skills here, looking like an idiot was hard work, and she was nervous she’d gotten them into something dangerous.

From atop the bird a voice boomed.

“I ain’t back to jail ya’ll! Dangnabbit Hane ninja! I dun care if yo here to stop me, nor if ya dun genin or whatever, Imma kill ya’ll for ya sensei can stop me! These are mah eggs! Imma make a profit off’em and go live in one of’em fancy floatin’ rocks!”

The beating of wings continued, before a dark spike could be seen being lowered towards them. The figure charged.

“LANCE!” Sachiko called out, practically diving to the side. “A’ight, we need a plan. Now!”

Shioreta looked up towards their opponent, clearly a poacher of some sorts after the egg. A moron from the sounds of it too. Stupid or not he clearly had the advantage of being in the air to keep himself from harm. She looked on in thought tapping her chin as Sachiko evaded.

“First thing’s first… we need to bring him down and get him off his bat. I might have something to help with that on my puppet, but he is way too far out of reach for me to get my threads up there. I’m going to need to get in the air high enough to reach it which is going to put myself in danger. Once I do though I’ll have something to help blast that thing from the sky for one of you to go and take it out! Well… and it would be nice if someone could be a distraction… I’m going to be a big easy target in the process.”

“I’ll try not to blow you up then,”
Okimi replied as she let the flame in her hand disappear. She formed a quick series of handsigns, and stuck her palm out to try and take aim at the poacher. However, he was moving too fast for a slow movinkg attack like this to land. “Feurey, if the bastard gets close, light his tail on fire so we can see him better.”

As the flame in Okimi’s hand disappeared, the area went black. “HA! Ya’ll think you can outmaneuver a bat in the dark?”

“The bat made a loop, then darted close to the ground where its shadow blended in with the rest of the area, a high speed ‘swoosh’ heard around them as it circled round and round.

Out of the darkness it dove at Okimi from behind, the lance flying at the back of her head.

Sachiko quickly lost track of the bat, and cursed under her breath. “Come ooooon… I just wanted some stupid tree sap…”

As she loudly complained, a ripping sound could be heard as she pulled out a spool of wire, and began to set up a wire trap around herself. She doubted it would stop a summon that large… but it could at least deter her from getting skewered!

“Shio, what’cha need me to do specifically?”

Shioreta looked at Sachiko as she noticed the trap she was setting up. She smiled at her lightly.

“Can you make your trap more obvious to deter him? Make him expect your planning to catch him when he is low so he focuses on you while I try and sneak up higher and get close enough to my puppet. If it all works out we might even get him to fall face first towards the wire. From there you can do whatever you think it will take to take him off his bat!”
Not exactly a fully fleshed out plan but as of now improvisation was all she had to work off.

“Okimi, if you can keep up the fire and try and stay somewhat close to Sachiko. He might try and find another way to attack you while your close so be careful… but hopefully that is enough to get him to not pay attention to me long enough for me to act hopefully before he sees me and strikes me.”
She spoke with a light thumbs up acknowledging how vulnerable she would be making herself.

Okimi was about to respond, but was suddenly kicked in the back by Feurey before feeling a slice run across her shoulder. “Damn it!” Otomi dropped to the ground, holding her shoulder. “Thank you Feurey… and uh, yea I’ll try and do that if I don’t get skewered before I get there!”

Standing up again, Okimi relit the flame in her hand and ran to where she heard Sachiko’s voice come from last. Getting close she saw the wire around her. “You think this will tie up that bat for long enough?” Okimi asked? Feurey followed behind her, sniffing at a nearby egg.

“YEE HAW!” The bat flew through where Okimi had been with hardly a problem, disappearing back into the shadows and circling around with another whoosh, leaving them along as it tried to reposition itself.

“Not… really.” Sachiko admitted. “It’ll stop him, and do some nasty damage, but I’m not a Ogumo, webbing things up isn’t my specialty! I don’t even have a specialty!”

She listened to Shio’s plan, she nodded, before closing her eyes to listen. Violently she threw a kunai into the darkness with such speed and velocity it seemed to vanish as soon as it’d left her hand.

“On it!”

The sound of the kunai hitting metal in the distance could be heard with a ‘dangnabbit.” The mounted poacher was wearing armor with his lance. Deeefinitely wasn’t a ninja. He began to charge them again, before hitting his bat with his lance’s but, stopping it in its tracks, simply beating its massive wings with a gust to deter attacks at it from the front.

“Heh, tricky tricky, you want me to attack don’t’cha? Bet’cha got one of ‘dem ninjutsu tricks set up, don’t’cha? Gonpachiro’s smarter than that t’ough!’

Now was her chance. Shioreta had taken the opportunity sneaking around climbing up on the tree. Her eyes focused on the bat rider as it seemed he caught on just as she had hoped. She pushed off from the wood hovering in the air reaching out with her threads. The threads connected to her puppet as it began to click the tail suddenly snapping out section by section. Shio’s fingers moved causing the tail to move down before flicking up. Two of the segments suddenly detached flying up in the air towards the stopped batrider’s front.

The first compartment opened as a puff of smoke suddenly shot out propelling the two segments up a bit more. With another pull of her pinky the little explosive bomb was set off. A small explosion shook off blasting right into the front of the bat and it’s rider at close range. Shio is rather helpless in the air all but falling back to the ground attempting to flip herself around to try and land as best she could without hurting herself.

With the bat rider now on the ground, Feurey was quick to attack. The little green dragon rushed over, and unleashed a wave of flames on the fallen man for several seconds until Okimi arrived. Okimi stood a slight distance back, a small flaming orb in her palm. “Scum like you don’t deserve a second chance.” With that said, Okimi let the ball loose. It slowly drifted towards the man. Feurey had already hopped away to safety, before the ball touched the man. On contact, it exploded in a powerful fiery blast.

With the torrent of attacks, a ‘whoa now!’ was heard as Shio’s attack sent the man sprawling off his mount, and his mount left writhing, before falling into the mess of wires that it struggled against. Holding his spear up… did very little against the torrent of flames. “Whoa now missy, I think we’re just having a misunderstanding’s all. Let’s, uh take it from the -aaaaaah!”

Flames lit up the cave, before a explosion ended it, silence left in its wake.

Sachiko gulped, blinking a few times. “What’s a few weeks of therapy anyways. Uh… Okimi, I’m doubling whatever I was bribing you with… let’s hope there’s nothing else ‘excitin’ here….”

Shioreta watched on, shaking her head a bit though seeming otherwise rather dismissive of it. Not quite the response she think should of been taken but she wasn’t going to bother speaking up against it.

“... Sorry about that.” Okimi apologized, realizing exactly what she did. She didn’t feel bad, but she didn’t feel good about killing the guy, even if he was scum. It was an odd feeling. Feurey didn’t seem to mind though.

“Hurry up and get the sap before something worse arrives.”

-----------

As the group made their way through the blackened underside of the floating island, the dim light still was a problem, but minus an egg or two they had to step over, it was fairly uneventful. The black wood of the miracle tree, the Sefirot, continued to grow. Sachiko gasped as she saw it, resting her hand against it.

“They say this thing can grow with no sunlight because the ashes from the dragons that lay their eggs here give it all the life it needs to sustain. Dragon’s are vicious, and this place is dark, so few bother their eggs, which is good, because it takes I think 3 years for one to hatch. Thanks guys… this wood’s a real miracle I tell you.”

Sachiko looked at Shio.

“How much you need for two puppets? I’ll be the pack mule. Ya did suffer through that whole ordeal. You need anything Okimi from the tree? Saps good for darkening surfaces, wood is great for puppetry and swords, hear if one can find a flower its ungodly for medicines. This isn’t forbidden property for no re-”

She covered her mouth with a sly smile. “Whoops.”

Sachiko began to climb up the tree by walking vertically up it, no trace of effort on her footsteps. It seemed natural and practiced, she’d known it since before the academy.

Shioreta looked over as Sachiko let it slip, staring at her as if contemplating scolding her before just smiling lightly. No reason to bring anything up about that either. In a cascade of bad ideas there was no reason to give up now when their grave was already dug so deep.

“Hmm… it can depend.. I’d say about... this much.” She spoke holding her arms out a decent sized length.More than she really needed though you always had to consider the need to replace parts or the fact her designs could vary greatly. She did have a puppet design in mind though she still needed to do a little more research and workshopping to make sure it might work properly.

Hopefully Less Lethal Training
Kurio Shimizu and Ichiro

Kurio bit back a yawn as he moved across the rooftops, trying to tear off a bite of jerky as he went. It was early in the morning, if you could even consider it that. The sun had barely even begun to paint the sky in the colors of twilight. But the genin had hoped to catch Ichiro before the day’s mission. From what he’d gathered, the man was usually up by now.

Still way too early if you ask me… This time, a yawn did slip through.

Settling on the roof of a building across the street from where Ichiro lived, Kurio checked to see if he was outside. If not, the genin would finally hop down and go knock.

“Any reason you’re spying on me?”

A gruff hand grabbed Kurio from the back by his collar, lifting him into the air, with a snarling sensei behind him, slightly sweaty and covered in debris. He’d already been up and training himself.

The sensei tossed him back to street level, before jumping down himself, landing on all fours.

“Ah!” The genin unconsciously stiffened as he was grabbed, “S-sensei, I wasn’t - oof.” While managing to land on his feet, it wasn’t his most graceful touchdown. Kurio straightened, watching Ichiro jump down after him. “Apologies, I was only trying to see if you were outside or not.”

“Don’t apologize, answer the damn question." He snarled, folding his hands. “Think you’re missing the point. I don’t care. ANSWER.”

Kurio flinched, “A-ah, well, I was hoping for some help training.” He sighed, “I think it’s rather obvious I’m not the most useful when it comes to combat. I can keep my teammates in action, but can’t do much if I’m the one attacked.”

“Alright. What are you going to do about it? If I came against you right now, how would you fend me off? If I came in a month after you had training, what would you do about it?”

“W-well… I have been learning body flicker, but you’d still outpace me. You’re primarily a taijutsu user, so severing key muscles would likely buy me the time to get away. I’m not entirely sure where to go training-wise, so it’d be the same approach, just… faster.”

“Kurio, your chakra control sucks too much to cut me. Give it a try.” Ichiro’s body tensed, the muscles becoming like iron, and he fully waited for the genin to try and cut him.

Hands enveloped in a blue glow, Kurio complied in an attempt to sever one of the muscles in his arm. He couldn't feel the blade make any progress.

“So, we make that blade sharper. Or maybe the problem is CATCHING me. Then we make you faster. Don’t you DARE come to me and say ‘oh make me stronger’. You should already be doing that. I don’t got time for people who don’t have drive. I should be fixing your approach, not making it.”

Still standing tall, Ichiro rubbed his chin.

“You didn’t catch yourself with chakra falling. I know the training. We’re meeting at the crater edge, north of here, the high peak part where it slips at a sheer cliff. It’s a 40 minute walk for you. So. Get walking.”

Ichiro disappeared in a puff of smoke.

Kurio watched him disappear with a sigh. If I didn’t have any drive, I wouldn’t have sought you out... Shaking his head, he started in the direction of the cliff, bounding across the rooftops once more. Can the chakra scalpel even be sharpened?

Ichiro could be seen surveying a cliff… then beginning to walk up the side of it, looking under various rocks, crushed a scorpion, then continued to walk, looking seemingly in random places.

“Damn scorpions with their damn radiation… should call’em rad scorpions at this point in this village…”

Seeing Kurio, he nodded. “See how I’m walking up and down the cliff despite that little pain in the ass gravity? It’s called the tree climbing technique. It’s a chakra manipulation principle I could explain, but it’d be more useful for you to figure out. That said desperation is the mother of all creativity. Yeet.”

Kurio blinked, watching as Ichiro walked along the sheer cliff face as though it was flat ground. Chakra manipulation or not, there had to be a lot of strength involved just to keep himself standing straight. Strength he was sorely lacking. Ah… that might not be good.

“Chakra manipulation…?” He mused, studying the cliff face. Medical techniques required very precise control of one’s chakra. Control that was primarily focused on the hands. Gathering chakra in his feet, Kurio paused. “Uh… yeet?” He shook his head, probably didn’t matter. Ichiro didn’t seem the type to use obscure stories and terms as hints like Sachiko had.

Kurio made it an all of two steps before disconnecting with a pop and landing promptly on his ass. “Oof.”

“Yeet.” Ichiro appeared behind Kurio, grabbing him by the back collar of his neck, before spinning him round, once, twice, then launching him into the air a good couple hundred feet. Right as he reached the top of the high, an outcropping of a cliff caught him at a sum of zero forces, letting him just plop onto it without any pain. It was what Ichiro had apparently been looking for. A dead scorpion lay to the side.

Ichiro’s booming voice could be heard, amplified, from below.

“I left lunch at the outcropping above you. You fall, try to fall to that outcropping. Cause this one’s kinda far down. We start now!”

“Uwa---h!” A shocked cry grew steadily distant as Kurio flew up to the outcropping. He landed on all fours like a startled cat, stiff as a board. He peered over the edge at Ichiro as the jounin spoke. “Is training with the threat of serious harm just going to be the norm?” Kurio quietly lamented looking up at what he needed to scale. “We’ll need a medic for the medic.”

Focusing chakra back into his feet he started to climb. One step, two, he slid a few inches on the third but didn’t fall, a fourth step-

Pop.

Thud.

Back to square one.

----

The sun started to rise high in the sky, with Ichiro laying on the ground on his side, his head in his hand, an unusually calm expression on his face, though the sides of his lips still occasionally turned to snarl. He made a grunt as if he was going to speak several times, but stopped each and every time.

“Kid needs to figure it out for himself. It’s chakra manipulation… he’s got to get used to using it himself, not receiving the answers. THAT’S the point of the training, not how to climb a @#$@’ing cliff…

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger. How we choose to be a ninja is up to us.”

---

Next to Kurio’s most recent attempt, he might feel a slight claw on the sides of his pants, and a black cat pawing at him…. Despite being halfway up a cliff.

“Want to piss off, Ichiro?”

Kurio pushed himself back to his feet, breathing heavily. He’d been steadily gaining height, but it had been at a frustratingly slow pace. He jumped at the sudden touch, looking at the cat that had seemingly materialized. He blinked when it spoke, Kurio had heard about summons that could speak but this was the first he’d seen one that could…

This was a summon, right?

“I uh…” he knelt in front of it, “I’m not sure I want to piss off the person that threw me up here in the first place?”

“Meh, he’s a softie. Kinda. He wouldn’t hurt a genin, prrr… on purpose anyways. Come on… Focus on how the chakra in your feet focus… You’re being too nyagative about it, putting too much force to compensate. Loooosen up. kNya-ad it, like dough...”

The cat prowled around, with an increasingly mischievous grin on its face, pawing and extending its claws against rock as it talked about kneading chakra

“First time he tried it, he managed to climb the tree through sheer force of will... Til he plummeted and got a concussion. His sensei was laughing at him for a week straight… Good times… good times...”

Kurio couldn’t help but laugh quietly at the retelling of Ichiro’s first attempts at the jutsu. “That… I could certainly see that happen to him.” The genin gave a low hum, closing his eyes for a moment as he focused on the feeling of his chakra. Take a gentler approach? His foot slipped slightly as he started putting weight on it, but it held. His ascent was slow, more akin to walking on a treadmill than scaling a cliff. But he hadn’t fallen yet.

“Good… good. Let the hate flow through you. Wait, that’s just how I do it. Don’t put more chakra as you slip away, it’s what’s causing it in the first place. Nya…. must be tough to be medic nin with so big a reserve. Like trying to nyazzle an ocean. Hmm, we could -oh shit!”

A near barking sound could be heard from below, followed by the sounds of an approaching avalanche… uphill. Below Ichiro was shooting up with all 4 legs, flying at the cat.

“Get away from him you devil! You’re not trolling me today!”

Ichiro ended by Kurio, panting, and looking over despite being on all fours still. “That cat’s a devil, don’t you believe a @#$@’ing word he says. Tch. Making progress I see, still, the goal is for you to feel out what you need to do, not to just learn a jutsu. For the next month, me and you are working on nothing but chakra control. I got training planned for today, tomorrow, the day after, and the day after that. Rest weekends. Then training after that. That blade is going to slice me nice and deep. Now if you’ll excuse me I have a cat to strangle.”

The dog continued to chase the cat, leaving Kurio again on the side of the cliff, only this time leaving the whole cliff shaking, giving him a sudden new challenge, how not to fall off AND keep his balance.

Nodding at the cat’s advice - an odd thing now that he thought about it - Kurio managed to stick in place for a moment without sliding. Okay, he was still sliding, just slowly. “It… huh, that’s actually not a bad way of putting it.” It was difficult to suppress and control the flow of chakra properly. It always felt like it was straining against him, wanting to all pour out at once.

“Jutsu always want to spiral out of- eh?” He blinked, looking back at the sight of Ichiro barreling up the cliff at them. Kurio slid down in his distraction, taking a few steps to reclaim the lost height. Head tilting to the side, he looked between the cat and dog. “I… yes, sensei.” Extra training is what he’d come to Ichiro for after all.

He spared another glance at the black cat, “strangle? Why- whoa!” Ichiro tore past him before he could finish the question. Kurio’s arms flailed wildly for a moment as he fought to keep his balance. He was forced to crouch slightly, a difficult task considering his current horizontal position, to keep from tipping back. Balance regained for the moment, he found himself at a new problem: walking in that position was far, far more difficult. “...crap.”

As the cliff shook, the cry of a cat hissing and falling rock abounding, a new obstacle came crashing down… literally. A rock perfectly sliced in 5 pieces came tumbling down to Kurio. Move or die began to be his only options.

The cat’s voice would echo in Kurio’s head:

Don’t put more chakra as you slip away

“What is it with training with him and trying to maim me?” Kurio didn’t intend for it to be said out loud, but the incoming rocks dominated his attention. The cliff face cracked slightly at the surge of chakra before the hint reverberated in his mind. Not questioning it for the time being, he didn’t have time, Kurio tried to reign back the flow of chakra as he ran out from under the falling rocks.

And away from the safety net of the outcropping.

More fighting could be heard, a cat hissing, before a black dot could be seen thrown clear across the village from above, eventually landing in the pool in the center. Ichiro prowled downwards daintily, like a beast on all fours. He nodded to Kurio.

“Not bad. It’s not about the number of techniques you can do, it’s about how creative you get when you’re desperate. Fear isn’t your enemy. It’s what makes us innovative. If you get used to it while training, it won’t @#$@ you up when you're in the real world. A’ight, that’s enough training for one day.”

He leapt, grabbing Kurio by the back of the neck, and landed on the ground with a super hero landing, holding the boy up.

“Chakra control, chakra control, chakra control. We’re going to make your techniques second nature to you until you tell me what we’re training on next. Hope you’re ready.”

Kurio shouldn’t have been surprised Ichiro could pluck him off the cliff face so easily, but he couldn’t help finding himself rather annoyed with it. “Ready as I can be,” he wiggled slightly, trying to slip free and get back on his feet. “Did you really have to throw the cat clear into the pool? Isn’t that a little… much?”

“No. Damn thing’ll be back in a day or two.” Ichiro dropped Kurio on his feet, and stretched as he started to walk off. “Go eat something. Digest the technique, digest some calories. I’m done with the day. Tomorrow we’re making nuts explode, and after that I’m running you through all your chakra. Both’ll need a lot of energy for. Rest is just as important as training.”

Back in a day or two? How? Kurio didn’t dwell on it long as a growling stomach became a more pressing concern. He started to nod but paused, looking back at the cliff. “Did you actually hide a lunch up there…?”

“Yes I did!”

Mission: Dancing Mad
Orikanyo Orikanyo Skita Skita AtlannianSpy AtlannianSpy

Needed: Taijutsu specialist

"My dojo recently suffered a humiliating defeat. This miko girl walked in, and just started dancing. And dancing. We asked to leave, but she wouldn't go. My student tried to force her out, and... was defeated instantly, her rhythm never stopping, her humming continued. He was my top student! I tried as well, and was humiliated as well. Its bad enough we have to live next to that damn old Tagamatsu, now we get beat by a girl?

She came back the next day. Same results And the next day. And every day for the last week. I'm shamed, but I can't figure out how she's doing it... so I'm putting up request for some taijutsu specialists to try and take her on. You don't have to
win, but please, figure out how she's doing so much damage! My mind can't take it any longer!"

Bowing before the genin that had come, a martial artist nearly cried.

"Finally!"

Thick muscles rippled from his arms, while a white gi covered most of his body. On his right chest, the sigil for his school could be seen, the exact same as hanging on a side outside.

He stood, wiping his eyes. "This won't be an easy task... but I have to take what I can get. My school's been in this village since its founding. Not everyone can be ninja, but I can help those who aren't defend themselves... but my reputation's at stake! And even if I can't win, I have to know how this... this WOMAN's beating us!"

He looked sheepishly at Tsubaki. "N-no offense meant. She just doesn't look like a fighter. A-anyways, seeing as this is 'technically' a friendly duel she's been challenging us to, probably best not to use real weapons, but I have mock ones for anyone who wishes to take them up. Bokken and a monkey's knot rope meteor hammer."

Humming could be heard down the steps, and the man nearly jumped out of his skin. "S-she's coming! Any last minute questions? She'll probably start dancing inside any moment now, and motion for anyone who wants to challenge her. W-we just can't win. Weapons, 10 v 1, we've tried it all... And she never breaks rhythm. Oh, and before you get any ideas, we tried a series of 1 on 1 duels. Those... those didn't take."

Ryuuka Tagamatsu
Ryuuka rubbed the back of her head with a sheepish expression. "Umm yeah by the way I've totally been meaning to swing by and apologise for that whole thing with Gramps. He's just a bit crotchety you know how they get at that age, he doesn't really think you're uhh 'impotent hobbyists without a single warrior's instinct in their entire bodies' -you know I feel like I shouldn't even bring it back up, I'm just gonna go deal with this whole miko thing and maybe we can just kinda move past it? cool? cool! Alrighty!"

Without waiting for confirmation Ryuuka turned towards the sound of the humming,crossing her arms over her chest to stretch them. Ryuuka hadn't been able to resist digging her old gi out of her wardrobe for this mission so she felt that she cut a rather suitable figure for the dojo, that kind of atmosphere was important for a martial arts showdown. As she loosened up Ryuuka took a second to review everything she knew about the mission so far. It wasn't much: The girl they were gonna fight was tough; dressed like a miko and had some kind of rhythm gimmick. There was probably something to that but Ryuuka felt like she didn't really have enough information to put it all together yet.

"Okay guys I'm gonna do some uhh, reconnaissance in force," Ryuuka said to her teammates confidently, as she bent down to adopt a sprinters crouch. "Basically I'm just gonan hit her and see if anything interesting happens," True to her word as soon as the miko moved into visual sight Ryuuka would body flicker forwards, transitioning in mid air into a flying kick.

Ganryu Ganryu Skita Skita Orikanyo Orikanyo

Ryuuka Tagamatsu
and
Hayate Yamamoto

Grandparent Teacher Interview...

By the time Ryuuka got back from the restaurant her team had gone to after their mission it was already late afternoon and her journey was lit by a lazily setting, orange sun. Ryuuka was a little worn out from her early morning mission but she was also feeling quietly triumphant and pleasantly full. The young genin was idly contemplating the idea of quick afternoon nap as she opened the front door to her Grandfather’s cozy little cottage on the outskirts of town; that was when the hairs on the back of Ryuuka’s neck tingled in warning.

Ryuuka ducked into a sprawling crouch just in time for a fist to rush through the air her upper body had been occupying a second ago and spun to meet the attacker that had suddenly appeared behind her. They were a thin, adult figure in baggy black clothing and mask obscuring their features and they were also a beat ahead of Ryuuka: when she spun around she was met with a straight kick that knocked her backwards into the cottage until she collided with the sofa. The impact caused Ryuuka to gasp but she remained aware enough to mitigate the damage by rolling over the coach, landing on her feet on the other side. The attacker was too swift though, he body flickered after her, closing the gap almost instantly and unleashing a volley of punches, chops and elbow strikes. Ryuuka dodged or parried a few fo the strikes and then slipped narrowly under a punch, letting it pass between her back and the the collar of her jacket and then pulled down on the hems oof her sleeves, trapping the fist within the tightening fabric. Ryuuka grinned and used the opening she had created to straighten and launch an uppercut that scored a glancing blow. Then something happened and the world suddenly tumbled around madly as Ryuuka ended up hitting the floor with a groan.

“Sloppy,” said the attacker shortly as he stood over her, pulling off his mask to reveal an old face, wrinkled and scarred and adorned only with a precisely trimmed, grey moustache. “As the chosen avatar of destiny you need to be more vigilant! Evil could be lurking around any corner waiting for you!”

“Ughh dammit, I thought I had you with that new move,” Ryuuka grumbled from the floor, stretching out and yawning. “I only invented it today and you already have a counter? No fair!”

“True mastery is being prepared for all eventualities, not merely the ones you expect,” said Ryuuga Tagamatsu gruffly, extending a hand to help his granddaughter to her feet. “Still that little trick has… some potential I’ll admit. You need work on the position though, it would work better if your shoulder is right underneath their wrist and you can pull the hand down to lock it behind you...Well we can work finetune it during evening practice,”

“Ohh...jeez… that sounds like it would be super fun and all Gramps,” said Ryuuka mournfully. “But I don’t think we’re gonna be able to squeeze it in tonight. See my sensei was suuuper insistent on coming over for dinner tonight, wouldn’t take no for an answer,”

“What!? What’s this fool thinking of disrupting your training regime!” growled Ryuuga indignantly “when the final showdown between good and evil could be any day now!”

“Yup that’s exactly what I said,” said Ryuuka carefully. “But he wouldn’t budge, I guess it must be something super important he wants to talk about with you,”

“Oh we’ll have something to talk about all right,” said Ryuuga grimly. “We’ll see what this Yamamoto boy has to say for himself! Ryuuka! You’ll have to do self directed training tonight, I’m going into the kitchen to prepare something light so empty stomachs don’t get in the way of the real issues,”

“Aye, aye sir!” Ryuuka said with a mock salute, fighting to keep a triumphant grin off her face. “I think he said he’d be here around seven so I’ll uhhh train super hard until then, totally,”

Hayate folded his hands behind his head as he strolled down the street, pausing for a moment to lean back and pop his back with a sigh. Over lunch Ryuuka had become oddly insistent that he come by tonight instead of later in the week. Would’ve thought she’d rather celebrate her first mission with just her grandfather. Though the old Tagamatsu had always been more than a little… off following his son’s death. Far more reclusive it felt like.

He hummed, letting his arms fall back to his sides as he approached the little cottage. Can’t help but wonder what I really agreed to here. With a shrug, Hayate gave a light knock on the door.

Hayate’s knock was answered with a muffled series of thumps and a singsong call of “Graaaamps Sensei is here!” before Ryuuka flung open the door with a carfree grin. “Yo! You made it! Gramps is just finishing up in the kitchen, it’s just through here,” she said, leading Hayate into the cottage.

The Tagamatsu residence seemed to be at war with itself, at least in terms of decor. The overarching theme seemed to be spartan, traditional minimalism, with lots of tatami mat floors and severe paper screen walls. What few original decorations there were, mostly vases and inked landscapes, seemed intended to hide weapons or traps to the trained eye of a jonin.

Once Hayate reached the living room though the hand of another, more anarchic decorator became apparent. Posters for movies or bands; a bold, checkered throw rug; a bulky, wooden radio and various other ornaments gave the room a confusing but oddly warm air. From the kitchen enticing aromas of spice, oil and cooking meat wafted over, beckoning jonin and student further in.

In the kitchen Ryuuga Tagamatsu stood imperiously, waiting to greet Hayate like a seasoned general with an array of steaming dishes arranged with regimental precision acting as his loyal army of soldiers.

“So then,” said Ryuuga gruffly. “You’re the Yamamoto boy my granddaughter’s been assigned to?”

Walking through the eclectically decorated space, Hayate chuckled softly to himself. It really was a lot like how his room as a genin clashed with the stuffy, traditional arrangements in the Yamamoto compound. Another show of rebellion against the clan. Nothing had really changed in that regard, just his space growing larger as he aged. And perhaps a little better put together than it had been in his youth.

A frown tugged at his lips at the barely perceptible glint of a hidden blade.

He wasn’t given much time to dwell on it as Ryuuga’s gruff voice called his attention. “I am at that.”

“Well don’t just stand there,” snapped Ryuuga suddenly. “Food’s getting cold,”

Ryuuka rolled her eyes and sat down at the table, pulling a chair out for Hayate as Ryuuga began handing out plates and serving up.

“‘Spose I should ask about your brood then, worked with a few Yamamotos in my day, I presume they’re all still kicking?”

“More or less,” Hayate gave a quiet thanks as a plate was passed his way. “Tai passed on last year, the others have pretty much retired at this point.”

“Ay there’s one of us old timers every few years or so these days,” Ryuuga said with a solemn tone, swallowing a morsel of rich, fried chicken. “With that in mind, best not to waste any time: What was it exactly you wanted to talk about tonight?”

Already mid bite, Hayate tilted his head slightly. It was a question he was waiting to ask Ryuuga, his student had been quite insistent that the old man had something important to- A flicker of realization across his features. Playing that game, hm?

“Well I suppose I should start with what her current training regimen looks like. The mission gave me a small display of her skill set, but it helps me to know where she’s focusing and where I need to supplement work of my own.”

As Ryuuga rubbed his chin thoughtfully Ryuuka was engaged in an urgent game of charades from over old man’s shoulder, gesturing frantically at Hayate and then nodding with two thumbs up once he started playing along, finally turning away quickly when Ryuuga turned to serve everyone more rice.

“I’ve been focusing mainly on the fundamentals with her,” Ryuuga said with a frown. “Taijutsu, stealth and agility, some of the basics of chakra manipulation. Nothing flashy that gets people killed though and none of that sneaky genjutsu crap. Wouldn’t be proper. In terms of the routine we usually have two training sessions: one in the morning for fitness and fundamentals and one in the evening for sparring and more advanced techniques.” the old man’s voice took on a subtle tint of enthusiasm here. “That’s actually based on Dr. Hashimoto’s work with developing brains and the impact of neuroplasticity in young education, you see learning actually occurs during the sleep cycle in the REM phase, I actually have some very digestible literature on the subj-”

“Gramps no!” Ryuuka protested with a pleading tone. “You promised you wouldn’t bring out the weird child psychology books at dinner c’mon,”

Ryuuga coughed slightly and seemed to regain his composure. “Yes, well. That’s the gist of it, though lately we’ve been incorporating some of my own techniques as well.”

Hayate chewed thoughtfully as Ryuuga spoke, nodding along and allowing a soft chuckle at his student’s expense. “So Genjutsu is where her training’s lacking most then, I see. Even if she chooses not to use it, identifying and breaking free can save your life as much as dodging an incoming blade.” He took another bite, “this is really good by the way. Oh, and I might just take you up on those books.” He didn’t expect to find an opening for revenge so soon, but he wasn’t about to pass it up.

Ryuuka glared at Hayate from behind Ryuuga but was forced to break off and put up an angelic smile when Ryuuga turned around.

“I’ll dig up a few of the basic ones for you to take with you then” Ryuuga said with a satisfied nod as Ryuuka made a disgusted expression behind him. “I still don’t approve of genjutsu training though! Back in my day we broke out of ‘em the old fashioned way! With a kunai to the thigh and we were grateful for it!”

“But you still had enough training in them to recognize you were in an illusion to begin with.” Hayate countered calmly, “I don’t really use genjutsu in battle myself.” He shrugged, “Never really have, always preferred taijutsu. But realizing when one was used on me saved my hide more times than I care to count.”

“Knowing how to counter genjutsu is a gateway to using genjutsu and that damned illusion witchery is not appropriate for a hero of destiny!” Ryuuga said stubbornly, folding his arms over his chest as Ryuuka stood up suddenly.

“Hey you know what I could really go for some dessert, I think we have some of that mochi and I’ll put a pot of tea on~”

“You all think I’m crazy!” said Ryuuga grumpily. “But I’ve seen what’s coming and no amount of genjutsu tomfoolery is going to help! The world will need someone of direct action who can inspire the people to band together!”

“Sensei how do you have your tea?” Ryuuka called cheerfully from the kitchen, studiously ignoring her grandfather.

Hayate blinked a few times, dumbstruck at the argument. It was definitely a new one, he’d admit. He glanced towards Ryuuka, “Oh, uh, with sugar please.”

“Oh me too~” Ryuuka replied over the sound of the whining kettle. “Gramps are you having tea?”

“Wh-Ryuuka I’m trying to explain- yes I’ll have tea damnit,” Ryuuga grumbled, then thought for a moment “Don’t use the stuff in the kitchen though, go get the good stuff from the basement,”

“Okaaay!” Ryuuka called and a series of thumping footsteps heralded her journey down the stairs. Ryuuga listened to her leave and then sighed heavily.

“Look you seem sensible enough son, I’m just trying to make sure she’s ready. Whatever I’ve been preparing her for all these years, it's coming soon, I can feel it in my bones!”

Hayate slowly nodded, letting out a low sigh. “It’s my job to try and make sure these three are ready for anything.” Something that the thought of still left him reeling. It was a massive undertaking.

“Hrmmn, part of me wonders if any of us can be ready for what’s to come,” Ryuuga rumbled as Ryuuka returned with thetea and sweets. “Still that won’t stop me trying.”

Hayate nodded, “Same for me as well.” He accepted the cup of tea with a slight nod. “Now, about those books…”

Three Jounin Walk into a Bar
Ichiro, Hayate Yamamoto, and Miho Shimamura

Ichiro sat with a snarl on a barstool, entirely towering over most in the bar, and unable to sit properly, he looked more like a feral dog than a human. Scrunching his legs up, he readjusted his seating again.

“Don’t know why I come here. You know I can’t get drunk… right?”

He downed a shot in front of him and gasped.

“So, what are your brats like? Already got one transferred out due to clan complications. Damn plant clan doesn’t like it when you point out their brat was useless on a plant-based mission. Sure, there were man-eating plants there, but come on. I was tougher as a kid. What’d yours get up to?”

He motioned to the two jonin to his right.

Miho held up a finger and, while the bartender had his back turned leaned over the counter and borrowed a bottle of something clear that smelled like disinfectant. Her finger remained up while she uncorked the bottle, took three, long gulps and then sighed tiredly as she put the bottle down beside her.

“The thing is though, I can. In fact, I don’t really want anything to do with you unless I’m pretty solidly hammered so the bar is kind of nonnegotiable,”

Hayate looked up from pouring sake into a small cup. “Huh, you can’t?” He quietly watched Miho drink deeply from one of the stronger spirits the bar had on offer, opting not to comment on it. “Well the food here’s pretty good, at least.” He reached for the bowl of edamame that sat between the three. “Yotsuyu’s karaage is great if you ask me.” He’d already put an order in, it was only a matter of time now.

Sipping on his drink, the Yamamoto shrugged. “Typical case of a lying client for our mission. Sent us after a spider of his that had gotten loose in the mines. Failed to mention the damn thing was over ten feet tall.”

Ichiro’s expression did a weird leap of scowling at Miho, definitely going to pick a fight; to ecstatic as he turned to Hayate. “No way? Seriously! Sounds fun! Then again, intel kinda sucked for me too. Told to go pick at some plants. Someone failed to mention they were the kind you’d find in a shop of horrors. Now I look like an idiot cause I let them try to handle it on their own.”

He down the drink and grimaced. It was still bitter whether or not it could get him drunk. “New girl in the squad, just got transferred in, blew the entire place up. Not like a lil boom either. I’m impressed. These lil’ guys def have talent. Tch. Maybe they can take over intel, that’d be ‘greeeat’.

Miho, how’d you’d end up teaching anyways? Hayate there’s a boy scout can see him volunteering to do it. You lose a bet or somethin’?”

Miho shrugged gloomily. “Every time I get tangled up in the boss’ ideas I feel like I lost a bet. On top of that, someone sent some thugs up the mountain to old man Fuji’s place while I was doing the yearly run. I thought I was getting a cushy delivery gig and ended up having to leave a clone behind to bury bodies so that’s three strikes for our boys in intel. If I could be bothered I’d go over there and ream em out but I really can’t. The little brats did manage to take down one of ‘em while I was clearing out their camp though so that was something, certainly more than I was expecting after reading their files,”

Hayate snorted, lightly waving Ichiro off. “I don’t know about fun, but it was definitely more exciting than scouring the mines for a little spider. They all handled themselves far better than I expected.” The smile fell from his expression, “but it’s strange for all three of us to get missions with complications like that.” He shook his head, downing the contents of his cup in a single motion. “Believe me, being a sensei was the last thing on my todo list.”

“It’s not so much strange as it is highly fucking suspicious,” Miho said darkly. “How many bandits you think would even know old man Fuji lived up there? Let alone schlep all the way up there just to knock him off and take his junk? The only thing of value up there is the fact that you can see who comes in and out of the village but why would bandits care about that? They sure as hell aren’t going to try and rob anyone this close to us, someone would be slitting their throats before they got done counting the loot and they would have to know that,”

“Tch.” Ichiro looked at the empty mugs, pulled out his wallet to pay for them, not feeling any dizzier for it. See, it was times like this he’d pay to be a lightweight. It was so much cheaper… “Damn you liver.” He whispered.

Shaking his head, he swirled an empty glass in front of his wistfully. “Don’t think it’s suspicious. Think we’re jonin and can put two and two together. You know we got some people breaking into the village the other day? Our sensory sucks save our Tsumikage, that bitch, but that’s cause infiltration here’s damn near impossible. Our hunter nin are top-notch, and those crystals have a neat little secret, if their bearer dies, they pop back here. So, if someone stole some… they had to do it in the village. And to be in the village. And for them to be in the village...”

He laid against the bar table putting his head down, and leaving the last part unspoken. and for them to be in the village, means we have a rogue nin.

“Trying to take over that vantage point wasn’t a coincidence then…” Hayate frowned into a freshly refilled cup, “It couldn’t have been. Not with the attack.”

Miho took another big swig from her pilfered bottle, which finally attracted the attention of the bartender, who advanced on the party with a firm expression until Miho dug a handful of coins out of her pocket and placed them on the bar. Once the bartender collected the coins and left Miho glanced casually around the crowded bar before turning back to Ichiro and Hayate. “So before I finished off the last of those ‘bandits’ he gave me a bit of a lead on who put them up to it. He seemed to think it was a bigger crew up east who wanted them to scout raiding targets. Sounds like a cover story and its probably a dead end but he did give me a tavern where he met his contact. I might pick a mission for the brats in that area and take a quick detour through there if you catch my drift,”

“Heh, not a bad idea. I got a retired friend from Arashigakure I might go say hi to. Tends to be a hunter these days in the mountains. Said something about a minor Akuma wandering around lately, might take the kids… It's on a mountainside, so Okimi can’t burn the entire place to the ground. Heh. Might knock Tsubaki down a peg too. Kurio… I’m not sure on that one. I have a bad feeling, but meh. Shimizu. Damn cat’s been taken a liking to him. Kuroneko’s. You remember that Akuma cursed shithead. Bah.

Anyways, that will leave the gauntlet to Hayate. Good luck. I hear Arashigakure’s getting really creative. Last time they caught two of the three, and they’re really mad about not getting the third. Weird ass village traditions.”

“Annoying is what it is,” Hayate clicked his tongue, “swear our graduation falls right before it on purpose. Can’t really help them with it… Maybe Aya’s obsession with spiders will come in handy for finding the traps. Hehehe call it ‘spider sense’ or something.” He shrugged, “Sounds like you two will have your hands full. Maybe I can check in with some of the Arashi nin, see if they’ve had any weird upticks in bandits or anything.”

Miho clicked her tongue. “Better you than me, I hate dealing with that formal crap and there are a few people in Arashi who have it out for me for that business in Inoshima. I can’t believe it's this soon though, I hope the boss isn’t thinking of putting us up for the chunin exams, there’s no way the brats’ll be ready in time,”

“N’aw, the formerly great Miho, afraid of some chunnin exams?” Ichiro attempted to pat her head. “I hope they call mine. It’s a good learning experience assuming you don’t get maimed or killed.”

“Throw em to the wolves and see what happens is kind of the norm around here,” the sake was starting to take effect, a flush settling into Hayate’s face. “We’ll have to make them ready.”

“Move it or lose it,” Miho hissed at Ichiro of his hand, one eye twitching slightly, it wasn’t quite apparent when she had drawn the kunai or intercepted his hand with it but the point was resting gently on the veins in his wrist, where it hissed and burned with some kind of chemical reaction. “And as for the exams, I mostly just don’t want to deal with the paperwork. A240’s for preventable death; 2b10s for corpse and equipment retrieval; A24s for exposure of proprietary techniques and then there’s all that notifying next of kin crap I could do without,”

“There’s paperwork? Huh. Maybe I don’t want them to pick’em after all. I’ll get the wimps ready. ” Ichiro’s hand sadly didn’t stop, the jonin grinning as he’d thought Miho had forgotten his iron body. A hissing started to sound, and he looked down on his wrist.

“Ha, you think that’ll do any…” The hissing continued. He looked unamused with a blank expression on his face, and stood up. Putting his barstool back, he excused himself silently, and began to make a break for it towards the nearest medic nin station.

“He shoulda stayed put,” Miho said with a shrug, returning to her drink. “You’re supposed to wash that stuff out with alcohol,”

“Y’know,” Hayate picked up a few more edamame pods, “with that guy I’m not sure if he’ll leave you alone now or bug you more for that.”

Wakanka
Dancing Mad

It was one thing to hear of a dojo buster, those were always wonderful things to hear about. Earth shaking new techniques, old ways being upset and forced to adapt and change... But this... This was kinda pathetic.

Reduced to blubbering fools and reaching out to ninja... All he heard was excuses from this fellow...

"You have obviously angered the gods, bishamonten looks down upon cowardly acts and unwillingness to adapt! This is no doubt punishment for your ways. Espeacially ten versus one, to fail even in such a cowardly way is a fitting if pitiful end..." his scolding was the first thing out of his mouth, but it was now shut as the woman of the hour showed up.

He was better at utilizing his weapon... But he had skill in taijutsu. He would watch this woman's movements before attempting himself. A miko... He wondered just what shrine she hailed from? If one at all? He hadn't heard of any visiting from outside the village... Well... Not that his intelligence network was any useful given it was through several old men largely in their upper 70s and a handful of priestesses whom he really, really couldn't talk to... Not because of anything wrong with him, hes simply regarded as a cute kid still...

...He wasn't cute...

...He was a strong young man...

....humph...

...Ah... Ryuuka was going first then? Good, it would give him time to-

"Bloody damn hell will you at least let her in the door first!?!?!?!" He yelled after the in flight kicking woman in pure expasperation.

AtlannianSpy AtlannianSpy Ganryu Ganryu Skita Skita

A New Burn
Kurio Shimizu, Okimi Bajirisuku

It was a relatively nice day out today, even by Tsumigakure standards. The training field was free today, which was odd considering the nice weather. Standing by the edge of the field was a green-haired girl and small green dragon. The girl was doing various stretches, loosening up her muscles for the training to come. The dragon tapped its head against Okimi’s calf, getting her attention. Okimi looked down at the dragon with an inquisitive look.

“No, you don’t need to do anything today. You can just watch if you like.” Okimi responded to the dragon as if it had asked her something, but no sound came from him. To anyone unfamiliar with the two, they probably thought Okimi was a little crazy. They were mostly wrong.

Regardless of what people thought, Okimi was here to train. She had thought up a new technique, but she wasn’t sure if it’d work at all. So, she invited her friend Kurio to come watch over her and make sure she doesn’t kill herself. She had gone to his home yesterday and asked, and told him the precise time she’d be training. Whether he’d show up or not wasn’t even a question to Okimi, she simply figured he would no matter what. Well, if he was coming, he’d probably show up soon.

“Good morning, Okimi,” Kurio’s voice sounded low, even for him. The genin smiled softly behind her despite the tired circles under his eyes. He was exhausted, to say the least. True to his word, Ichiro had been putting the boy through his paces every day until he was all but out of chakra.

Today was supposed to be his day to rest, but he could keep an eye on his teammate. As long as she didn’t decide she wanted to try and spar with him they should be fine. Hopefully.

“Hey Kurio! I’m very glad you came,” Okimi said happily. She noticed he looked a little tired, but she decided not to ask about it. If he was too tired to come, he wouldn’t have bothered, right?

“So, if you forgot, I’m gonna be trying out a new jutsu here. The idea is relatively sketchy, because it involves injecting fire chakra into the ground, then making it explode upwards. You can probably see how that could go wrong for me, which is why I asked you to come.”

Kurio’s brows furrowed slightly at her description, “that… does sound somewhat risky, yes.” Perhaps it was a good thing he thought to grab extra burn ointment following the mishap with the shed. “There are limits to the severity I can treat right now,” and it’s a long walk to the hospital he added silently.

“Alright, I’ll try to be careful. Stand back and watch.”

Okimi moved closer to the center of the training field. She formed a single hand sign, and held it for a few moments. She then let out a sharp breath as she slammed her right hand onto the ground. The earth a few feet in front of her released a little belch of heat. The ground barely broke enough to see the steam emerge. Okimi frowned. It sort of worked, but it was just way weaker than she expected.

“Did you see that Kurio? I got something to come up!”

“Oh! Impressive!” Kurio called from his hopefully safe perch of a nearby boulder. Elemental jutsu had never really been something he considered delving into. But he couldn’t deny the sheer power behind it. He quietly hummed, Wonder if I should look into it if I want to match Aunt Ema one day…?

This time, Okimi would put more chakra into the technique. Surely going from a small earth burp to an explosion would take a considerable increase in chakra, so she’d really have to put effort into this.

Forming the same hand sign as before, Okimi slammed the same hand down onto the earth. Her muscles were tight and her teeth clenched as she poured a large portion of chakra into the jutsu. The fire chakra pooled in front of her, and the earth turned a bright orange visibly heating up.

For a few seconds, Okimi ignored the burning sensation below her hand, but she peeked one eye open to see that the heated area was practically right below her. In shock, she tried to back away from the spot. But just as her hand lifted off the ground, a geyser of flame erupted upwards. Okimi fell onto her behind, her right forearm burned up to the elbow. The burns weren’t too bad, but they hurt like hell.

“God-Damn-It!” Okimi yelled as she pounded her left fist into the ground. She let out an agitated grumble, before turning to Kurio with her hand out. She tried to smile a bit, but it was obvious it was a bit forced.

Kurio hummed, watching as Okimi worked through the handsigns once more. The genin tapped his chin, the lessons in chakra control would likely come in handy here. Looking back at his teammate he blinked at the ominous glow gathering beneath her. “Uh- Okimi-!”

He was on his feet the moment the ground erupted, already sprinting for her as he wove handsigns. A faint green glow enveloped one of his hands as he gently took her burned arm. “Hold still, I’ll get you patched up.” The glow washed over her burns, steadily numbing the wounds.

Numbing Palm

“Sensei’s been putting me through my paces with chakra control this past week.” Wound numbed, Kurio pulled his hand away and started through a new set of handsigns, forming a small orb. The genin slowly moved it over the burns, starting to mend them. “I’ve found that pouring more chakra into a technique makes it more unstable. Like if you were climbing a cliff using just your chakra and started to slip, you’d want to pour more into it to catch yourself. Instead, the stone repels you and you fall anyway. It’s a balance, a difficult one.”

“A balance huh…” Okimi said as Kurio moved the healing ball along her burns. She watched as her burns slowly disappeared. “I don’t believe I’ve received an in-depth lesson in chakra control. I suppose just forcing my chakra out has always worked well enough for me.”

“Mmm, it certainly made your jutsu more powerful, but not really controllable.” Burns mended as far as he could coax them, Kurio reached back into his pouch for a jar of ointment. “At least from my best guess, I’ve never really attempted elemental jutsu before.”

Okimi nodded. “Thanks Kurio. Now, I’ll try this again. I’ll even try to ‘control’ my chakra a little bit more, so let me know if I do this better.”

Rising to her feet, Okimi moved farther into the training field. Her arm still hurt a bit, and it still had ointment on the more burned portions. However, Okimi was dead set on making this jutsu work.

Okimi brought her hands together, forming the same handsigns as before. This time however, she used her left hand, the one not covered in ointment to press against the ground. However, only her fingertips were pressed against the ground now. The chakra shot through her fingertips and into the ground. Coiling forward like a snake, the earth heated up in a path before Okimi. It halted a distance away, and the orange glow brightened. Then a second later, another geyser of flames burst forth. This one shot straight upwards as intended.

Okimi stood up straight and smiled. Turning to Kurio, she gave him a thumbs-up. “Third time’s the charm I guess! Thanks for the tip Kurio!”

“Huh…” Kurio scratched the back of his head as the jutsu seemed to go off without a hitch this time. She got it already… He still couldn’t successfully complete half of the exercises Ichiro had given him, let alone figure out a new jutsu like that so quickly.

“I saw,” Kurio returned her smile, the excitement was contagious. “Congrats!” Dark eyes looked over at the charred spot on the ground, “guess it’s just repetition until it’s second nature now.”

“It doesn’t appear that I can aim it properly though. I just kind of let it flow forwards before I let it blow. I need to make sure it goes right under someone when I use it,” Okimi pondered aloud. However, Okimi wasn’t entirely keen on continuing for too much longer, as her arm still ached. Kurio’s healing had done wonders though. She doubted there would even be any scarring.

“Hey, aren’t you a part of that clan that uses that weird Akuma power?”

“Well, sensei has plenty of exercises for improving your chakra control, you just gotta ask him.” Kurio finished putting his medical supplies away seeing as they might not be needed again. He blinked at his teammate’s question, “I… yes, I am.”

Okimi knelt down close to Kurio when he responded. Her gaze met his, as she shot an incredibly serious look into his eyes. “So you’ve seen it used first hand I would assume. What do you think of it?” Behind Okimi’s serious face was a glimmer of excitement behind her eyes. The amazing yet terrifying power of the Akuma was one Okimi didn’t get to see with her own eyes.

Kurio leaned back slightly as his teammate was suddenly nose to nose with him. “They’re… powerful, but hard to control. Most of the jutsu have a backlash, damaging the user almost as much as their opponent.” It was why he pursued medical ninjutsu before starting to learn the clan’s jutsu. Though it was only a matter of time before he found himself thrown into that training. “I guess it’s like your fire?”

Okimi nodded, giving Kurio his space now. “That’s pretty cool I have to admit,” Okimi began as Feurey ran up to her, winding by her feet. “but nothing is like a dragon’s fire!” The last two words were said with a sudden energy. “If you ever learn those techniques, let me know so we can compare. I’m going to head home now, thanks for your help Kurio!”

“I guess it is kind of cool…” Kurio mused, rubbing the back of his neck. “Your techniques are pretty cool too!” He pushed himself back to his feet, “yeah, glad I could help.” The genin offered a quick wave as she left before sighing tiredly. “Bed sounds pretty good now though…”

InsaneAsylum InsaneAsylum

-Dancing Mad-
Orikanyo Orikanyo AtlannianSpy AtlannianSpy

The old master's head cocked, and deflated into a sigh. "Ass kicked by a regular miko... rebuked by kids... 'rival' doesn't even look at me...."

Still, he, as well as everyone else snapped attention towards Ryuuka as she dove at the incoming Miko.

Said Miko was dressed in traditional attire with a white top, long flowing sleeves, red pants, and wooden clogs. Her black hair was chin length, with several ornaments and bobs throughout it, a white hair pin in back with a spray of red pattern across it, and a mischievous smile, that barely showed itself as she covered her face with her sleeve. She did a polite bow as she approached the dojo, glanced at the sign, then the moment she looked at the door, a flying child caught a glimmer of surprise as it registered in her mind. And she began to bob and flow, her and outstretched, and her body low. Her steps seemed to begin to float, half a dozen given to merely begin to turn, before her body twisted, a covered sleeve slapping at the attacker's ankle.

Contact with the mere slap, if connected, would be painful as muscles across Ryuuka's leg would spasm and contract, a pinch in the ankle's muscle being agonizing, and a small little circle could be seen impressed into the muscle.

The pain would be over as quickly as it started, leaving the ninja in fighting capacity once more, the impression replaced with a goose egg. The Miko wasn't completely scot free, however, the surprise causing the foot to fly across her cheek, an extensive amount of makeup coming off across Ryuuka's boot, leaving a streak removed. All across gasps and shocked faces could be seen. Someone had TOUCHED the dojo smasher.

The miko giggled, and waltzed in, staring at Waka next, much like a cat stares at a mouse. She began similar dance, bobbing, skittering her feet gently, and her hands wide outstretched.

The old man smiled and his head veered to the other side. "Yeah... that's about how spars normally go. Except we normally don't get a hit off... Freakin' Tagamatsus...."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back