• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy [Sonder Links] An Anomalous Noir OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here

Probably George

Honorary Truckfighters member
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Feel free to bring up questions or ideas, as while I have a very detailed story and location in mind, it's almost entirely different from what I originally conceptualized about 2 years ago. So very few details are fixed and I'm very welcoming to suggestions.

For comparison: the engimas were originally god-like entities that used a living being as a sort of lich's phylactery that could be changed with a very long and difficult ritual. A catastrophic event occured and all of those entities (except those deeply secluded, like the one who lived in the sun) died, yet their phylacteries still had power. The phylacteries grouped up to try and figure out what the hell happened and would eventually have to find a deep ancient city where one of the last enigmas remained, a near omnipotent being who was being hunted by the entity that caused said catastrophic event

Rough outline:
>300 y/a, classical era-ish with high emphasis on iron structres, and later steel as Chroan is extremely rich in carbon and metals
300 y/a, the first site belonging to a long gone civilization called the Cephlans was discovered.
120 y/a, the Shared Knowledge of Chroan agreement was signed by all cities.
40 y/a, the engima engine is created, quickly moving Chroan into an industrial era-lite. Factory farming and grand leaps in architecture follow.
19 y/a, the first anchor is documented, more follow
16 y/a, the first eidolon is documented, an anchor residing in the capital of Grohj, 40% of the city is leveled. The eidolon crawls into the sea and slowly disappears into the waters
15 y/a, the First Line Initiative is signed by representatives of all cities in Chroan, smaller villages are absorbed into nearby cities
6 y/a, first anchor amongst the second wave is documented
2 y/a, the city of Two Feather's Gaze enacts a right in the First Line Initiative to execute all known anchors in fear of national security following a catastrophic anomalous event, in which the smaller 2 of the 7 mountains making up the city had been flipped upside down, subsequently causing massive earthquakes and landslides, killing 19% of the city's population. The anchor behind the event was hunted then executed right before all other anchors were sentenced to death.
2 m/a, the first anchor amongst the third wave is documented.

Last edited:
I'll get CS up in the morning and make a couple examples, but I don't really have any preference for layout, just keep in mind you will all be third wave anchors (or anchor to be if you come up with a good reason why your character would be involved with exterminators)

HI!

So what would be the equivalent tech of our world then?
Given the rapid and uneven advancement from reclaim tech, it's a mixture of mid-late 19th century and things you may expect a couple centuries from now. If all the tech discovered was perfectly reversed engineered they would be significantly further ahead, but what the Cephlans left behind is almost too advance to even do anything with. Although even the simple components provide something new.

While I see it vividly in my head, it's difficult to put into words. Think something vaguely similar to kenshi but w/o the post-post-apocalyptic setting

Feel free to be bold with character creation. I'm very welcoming to new ideas or even improvements on my own. For reference my favorite ttrpg is Red Markets, and a part of setting it up is getting everyone involved with world building. I'm not asking that of you, but I'm not opposed to such suggestions.

But I am purposely leaving things open ended for you guys to feel less confined to a role

ngl having a bit of a tough go visualizing the 'look' and 'feel' of the world.

Noir.jpg

Soooo like that's the pic from the int CHK. Is it like ruins of old modern buildings as if like an advanced society abandoned it kinda deal?

And like based upon your charries are we just regular people with no real combat experience nor training?

I undestand, I've been having a really hard time finding a single piece of media that can be used as comparison. The way I describe it is a mix of metal rich ~13th century desert architecture being rapidly advanced with alien technology. Maybe something akin to the combine's invasion in Half-life, except it's man replicating the technology.

The cephlans had a lot more time to adapt to the climate of Chroan and thusly the aesthetic of their designs is many centuries ahead and people have been trying to replicate it as best as possible. Old architecture is replaced but not demolished, instead turned into cheap housing almost resembling a squatter's den. Actual housing is moderate sign of wealth. Most people live either in the public housing or in their shops
I've collected some references to go off of that get a lot of the idea, but don't have the grand, alien inspired architecture that sticks out like a sore thumb:
Fan_Ming_01.jpg
1-1920x1080-2273eb63d7704a87963bcb06bf967bbc.jpg

5e6890e228677.jpg
Generally as the temperature between day and night vary greatly, shawls, felt ponchos, long coats and such are very common attire for citizens of all levels across Chroan. Most people never leave the city they're born in, as every trek between cities is dangerous and expensive. Not many caravans will take you, and you'll need a lot of provisions if you're not used to baking in the sun for days.

Last edited:
And for the most part yes, you were mundane people. You may have had some fighting experience from a rough up-bringing or even as a cheap private security, as theft is a problem across Chroan. And to avoid being treated like a demon, it's best you act like you're still a mundane person. Most people dislike or loathe anchors, as most have only heard of them from the 3 catastrophes caused by anchors, each of which caused significant amounts of death.

As for the "feel," it's a rough capitalist society where most business are comprised of just a single extended family. Most of these businesses take part in a market that circles around the capital and can be multiple miles wide in some areas. Everyone is trying to sell you food, clothes, weapons, or good times.
47441576_william_james_muller.jpg

Beyond that is the residential areas, then farms on the outskirts

K posted up my charrie! Let me know if she all good!
I like it! (In case you couldnt tell, I chose the word "sonder" for a reason but I think you figured out)

Something I forgot to mention is that everyone as a group will get deeper connections with their engimas simultaneously. Like DnD's milestone system as opposed to something even more arbitrary, just to keep one pc from becoming significantly stronger than the others and to add new elements to keep things interesting

Hi everyone! Just wondering what the activity requirements are and how fast the RP will move? Also any tentative dates when the CS is due? I just wanted to ask because finals are coming so I might be slow. 😅

There's no hard posting requirements, but I'd prefer at least a few paragraphs worth a week. As long as you're actively engaging and are taking part of the story I won't bother you to make a post. Quality > Quantity. I'd rather have 1 amazing paragraph than a few basic ones.

As for how quickly things happen, I believe respite builds anticipation and leaves room for the after-taste from the last course to settle. I want to avoid the "monster of the week" formula, although it's a formula that's proven to work. But if we all work really well together then it should be smooth sailing. Most elements aren't set in stone so I'm ready to make changes based on the group. But most importantly, this isn't just a story about action and investigation. It's also about the complicated lives of these individuals and how they keep themselves together. Sonder is the key word.

I'd like CS's to be complete in the next 2-3 days for those already in. Then if anyone else joins in they will be introduced during the story.

But again, don't feel the need to write something big. And if you're stuck I'm more than happy to give input. I really enjoy thinking of actions a given character may take in a given scenario

There's no hard posting requirements, but I'd prefer at least a few paragraphs worth a week. As long as you're actively engaging and are taking part of the story I won't bother you to make a post. Quality > Quantity. I'd rather have 1 amazing paragraph than a few basic ones.

As for how quickly things happen, I believe respite builds anticipation and leaves room for the after-taste from the last course to settle. I want to avoid the "monster of the week" formula, although it's a formula that's proven to work. But if we all work really well together then it should be smooth sailing. Most elements aren't set in stone so I'm ready to make changes based on the group. But most importantly, this isn't just a story about action and investigation. It's also about the complicated lives of these individuals and how they keep themselves together. Sonder is the key word.

I'd like CS's to be complete in the next 2-3 days for those already in. Then if anyone else joins in they will be introduced during the story.

But again, don't feel the need to write something big. And if you're stuck I'm more than happy to give input. I really enjoy thinking of actions a given character may take in a given scenario

I see. I’m usually more of a once/twice a week poster with lengthy response of at least 4-5+ paragraphs. I hope that’s alright.

I think having a good balance of action and character development is great. It’s something I enjoy about groups - seeing the interactions between several characters come to life.

I’m also going to be busy with school and training the next few days so I’ll probably need more time. Just a heads up in advance. But by Thursday afternoon, my schedule will be a little more free. If anything, I’ll try brainstorming tonight to have something in the works! :)

Perfectly reasonable! I usually like to give at least 3-4 paragraphs when I can. Sometimes you aren't given much to work off of and have to write a bunch of filler to fit a length requirement. I don't want y'all to like you need to do that. I know as gm I have a much higher responsibility, but considering I know the story, I know I'll handle it
I'll probably be setting up IC on Thursday so feel no rush

Perfectly reasonable! I usually like to give at least 3-4 paragraphs when I can. Sometimes you aren't given much to work off of and have to write a bunch of filler to fit a length requirement. I don't want y'all to like you need to do that. I know as gm I have a much higher responsibility, but considering I know the story, I know I'll handle it
I'll probably be setting up IC on Thursday so feel no rush

Ha ha. Yeah, I know what you mean. It’s hard to work off from bits and breadcrumbs. I usually try to introduce a new action and dialogue on top of responding to previous things to keep it moving. I’ll try my best to be consistent with post replies too.

I’ll go ahead and skim the CS tonight to get a better idea. I’ll post up any questions here.

Also, thank you for being understanding! I hope you’re day/afternoon/evening is going well! :D

I like it! (In case you couldnt tell, I chose the word "sonder" for a reason but I think you figured out)

Something I forgot to mention is that everyone as a group will get deeper connections with their engimas simultaneously. Like DnD's milestone system as opposed to something even more arbitrary, just to keep one pc from becoming significantly stronger than the others and to add new elements to keep things interesting
If you like it so much then why you no give Kia a 🍪!!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back