• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Mitheral

"Growf!"
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Something Wicked This Way Comes - title of a book by Ray Bradbury

The title is taken from "By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes," a line said by the witches in Shakespeare's Macbeth.

Only the general concept of a strange carnival such as in the novel by Ray Bradbury will be used. No Mr Dark, thought the carnival owner may very well be supernatural. Part of the carnival’s design will be based on a TV show known as Carnivale.

The carnival’s name will also draw from this concept. It is known as:

Something Wicked

The permanent residents of the carnivale, other than Jonathan Rhand (the owner), are “human”. However, they may have some very exotic skills. They do not age while employed. However the carnival’s development began in 1897 in eastern Europe. Mr Rhand immigrated to America and started the circus in 1901. In 1897 he had two employees, Friday (a darker skinned hobbit/dwarf) and Jalut (an 8 foot tall giant deaf mute).

“I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples and bastards and broken things.” - Tyrian Lannister, Game of Thrones. This is a favorite quote by Mr Rhand. Many of the employees of the carnival were found in freak shows, often abused. Some of the hawkers were abused children who he rescued. (This is far less common once law enforcement got better with keeping records.) Hawkers are the people who run games.

Each group member MUST have a specialty. It may have evolved over time since joining. But most members must have a way to entertain guests.

Something Wicked always sets up camp outside of town in a fashion very similar to the way the Renaissance Festival does. The layout is very similar, complete with shops, entertainment, and rides.

Guests from the local population will be normal. There is a parking fee, entrance fee, fees for certain shows, tickets for rides. Yes, some of the entertainment is mature themed - a fact that draws the wrath of religious groups. (Please remember, RPN has site rules. Keep it clean in the RP.)

Posting
3rd Person, past tense
I am looking for posts of at least 3 decent paragraphs. Normally I go for a page+, but I am going to relax this requirement a bit. Quality over quantity.
Ask before barging into someone else’s scene.
Use tags

Character Roles
Carny, also spelled carnie, is an informal term used in North America for a traveling carnival employee, and the language they use, particularly when the employee operates a game ("joint"), food stand ("grab", "popper" or "floss wagon"), or ride ("ride jock") at a carnival.

In the 19th century, before the development of mechanical attractions, sideshows were the mainstay of most funfairs. Typical shows included menageries of wild animals, freak shows, wax works, boxing/wrestling challenges, and theatrical shows (acrobats, magic shows).

Something wicked also has animal acts, similar to Buffalo Bill and Annie Oakley.

Also, there is a tattoo parlor, kiddie tattoo shop (for kids temporaries), fortune teller, artists (quick portraits), herb shop / holistic medicine.

Mr Rhand absolutely will not tolerate abuse - of employee or animal. (That was how he found Jalut who became his second employee.)

Oooh I'm super interested in this! I've got some ideas buzzing around in my head for some carnies.

I see that you clarified that the permanent residents are human. Does that mean that non-permanent residents can be other species?

No ... non-permanent are people like those who arrive in an RV or with tent or camper and use the campground.

Got it. ☺️ I can still work with that! This sounds fun.

I should be a little clearer. Rhand has the ability to keep the carnies unaging. Some also develop some useful abilities - like the fortune teller.

Rhand is careful not to draw too much attention. There are other things he could do. But those would be very dangerous and destroy the carnival.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back