Other Some Questions About College

BDark

Three Thousand Club
Roleplay Type(s)
Greetings, y'all. I suck at introductions so I'll just throw stuff in here.

As an eleventh grader, I'm almost done with school. Since last year, I've been considering enrolling in veterinary medicine, but then I changed my mind and decided, almost finally, to go Arts instead, but I've never excluded VM from my considerations.

Now, I always thought that in VM I had to take "all fields" or whatever, which is why I nearly crossed it out, but today I played with a tiny cat in the street, making me reconsider. I looked it up, to see if VM is right for me, that is, and I learned that it has multiple fields.

So here're my questions:
  1. How many fields can I take? Does it have to be two, or can I take more?
  2. Any good vet schools/colleges/whatever you wanna call them that aren't too expensive in the US? I live in Egypt, so the USD is very expensive to me; something like 60k USD would be too high, for example.
I know y'all gonna tell me WHY DON'T U USE GOOGLE SIR but here's the thing: I'd much rather hear from fellow roleplayers th--All right, I couldn't find the answer to the first question, and I'm too lazy to change the title from "questions" to "question" so I added in the other one. Recommendations? Tips?

Thank y'all.

I'm sure there's plenty. Just my two cents but vetinary medicine is far better of an investment than an art degree for the sort of money you'd put into it. Risk versus reward is too against you with art. Please don't take offense to that as art is a great subject, but it's not something I'd say is worth spending tens of thousands on in higher education.

I will advise you one thing, consider looking at universities in the UK. Student finance is a lot nicer to foreign students just as long as you keep your attendance high.

I'd need an IG diploma though. I can't get that; it's too late already, as I've been in the American Department for... This is my fifth year now. I actually considered the RVC a while ago, but then the whole IG thing came to me.

I won't abandon art. I'll just learn it on its own rather than go to art college.

I found one in Wisconsin but it requires GRE. Dunno if I can find teachers to help me with that over here.

Any tips for that?

I don't know much about how things work in Egypt, so I'm sorry if my advice is of no use to you.

I'm from Florida, and we have the University of South Florida here, which is big on study-abroad type programs. I go there, it's a wonderful school. They have a veterinary medicine program. I'd suggest reaching out to someone there and looking into that, you may be able to find some scholarships to help costs. If not, you can always apply for loans. Obviously, it isn't ideal. Loans take a while to pay back, but any sort of medical field, whether it be for people or animals, is usually a very high-income job. You'll be able to pay them back in time.

Does it also have art? I could look this up but
a) I'm too lazy
and
b) I wanna talk more to people about stuff

I know people told you vet was a better investment than arts, and they are right, but if you don't have the passion for vetting then don't do it.

Now, as for your other questions...

There is no cheap university in the US. My university is about 21,---- a year, which is concisdered one of the cheapest in my state.

The problem with art, and I mean this seriously as someone who has many friends with art degrees, is there isn't many jobs for you. My friend has a degree and works at a newspaper, but it doesn't pay the bills very well so she also has another job and does art on the side, and works almost every day all day.

When you get past your basics (associates degree) you need to sit down and think long and hard about how you want to pay those loans off.

I might be aiming too high right here, but I considered going freelancing. I'm still considering it, but as a side-job rather than the real thing.

I'm very passionate about animal-related stuff and the like, as well as art. I'll be seeing someone sometime soon, hopefully.

I know people told you vet was a better investment than arts, and they are right, but if you don't have the passion for vetting then don't do it.
Funnily enough, I was just telling that to a friend of mine earlier today.

Does it also have art? I could look this up but
a) I'm too lazy
and
b) I wanna talk more to people about stuff
We do have a program for the arts as well, but I'm going to be That Guy like everyone else and suggest you follow something much more concrete. This doesn't mean you shouldn't take plenty of art courses where you can, you can even minor in art, but a degree in art has a much lower return than a degree in veterinary science. Think of it this way- you NEED a degree to be a veterinarian, you don't have to have a degree to be an artist!

Edit: Here's the university's webpage. Check it out! Welcome to the University of South Florida | Tampa, FL

I mean you could always just practice art as a hobby. You can learn a lot. Selling art is how I make money during college,though I hope I won't ever have to take a commission in the next few years once I'm done with my training and schooling.

I'm going to be That Guy like everyone else and suggest you follow something much more concrete.
I was actually asking for my friend who wanted Arts.

You have dorms, right? Are they shared? Does each thing have its own dorms? Are the prices on the website for the whole thing or just the first year? How many years do I spend there?

I was actually asking for my friend who wanted Arts.

You have dorms, right? Are they shared? Does each thing have its own dorms? Are the prices on the website for the whole thing or just the first year? How many years do I spend there?
Prices on the website are for one full year, how long you spend there depends on your program. A bachelor's degree is typically 4 years. Don't let that price scare you, you can get a lot of financial aid and scholarships. Talk to someone at the university about the price.
There are dorms and you typically share a room with someone unless you want to live in an apartment-style dorm, which costs more. Having a roommate really isn't all that bad, though. They usually match you up with someone who has things in common with you or you can choose your roommate if you already have someone in mind.

I see. So, worst case scenario, it's 23k USD a year?

Give or take some, yeah. But you can get loans for that and pay them back over time. Veterinary science is a high-paying field, please don't like price deter you, if you can help it.

Each university has several dorms, most of them are shared, but there may be private rooms but they are more expensive.

Give or take some, yeah. But you can get loans for that and pay them back over time. Veterinary science is a high-paying field, please don't like price deter you, if you can help it.
I'm a determined person. The only huge obstacle is certainly my family. But it ain't gonna hurt to try.
Each university has several dorms, most of them are shared, but there may be private rooms but they are more expensive.
That's just perfect!

No offense intended but I have heard the arts jokingly referred to as having a degree at working in a coffee shop.

It might as well be.

Then again. Over here, you take biology (NOT PHYSICS) to go into Engineering College. fucking clowns.

I'm talking about SAT biology. You get a decent score in that and you get to build buildings. I mean-

"The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell. Time to erect Eiffel Tower."

Let me repeat: Fucking clowns. It doesn't make any sense. I'm weirded out by this.

Last edited:
At the very least, you can take art/humanities classes when you're still working on the undergrad pre-vet program as a free elective.

I don't know much about art, but taking one or two formal classes in humanities/social science is a good idea because it can give you an idea of how to apply yourself rigorously on those fields. For example, a lot of people like philosophy and learning about other cultures, but don't have a clear idea of how to approach concepts with the necessary rigor/seriousness to develop a proper conceptual framework. Taking formal courses in art might give you the structure and rigor to approach it better when you're on your own. It might give you more insight into the history of art and how those styles have changed over the years. It might give you better insight and direction in your creative endeavors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back