Some of my characters & stories!

Stories Abound

I love stories!
Hello All!

Below are some of the characters I've dreamed up. Some of these I've played extensively, others I have not. If you'd like to provide any feedback, it is most welcome! If any of them strike your fancy, and you'd like to play, please let me know!

• Name: Ruindín
    Height: 6'3"
    Weight: 228 lbs
    Hair: Red
    Eyes: Gray
    Weapons: Bow (Hisluiva)
    Knives(3)
    Throwing knives (9)
    Boot knife(1)
    Family:
    Mother & Father: Deceased
    Adoptive Parents: Deceased
    Sister: Alive (non played)
    Ruindin.png

History
    The sound of pounding feet, the braying of hounds, and ragged breaths filled the forest, along with the sound of breaking branch and tearing cloth. Through harried breaths a cry came. It was the high terrified pitch of a woman's voice. "Nor-nin Mel!" Though the cry seemed to be accompanied by a high-pitched buzzing sound. The sounded ceased though as the arrow it came from pierced the back of the woman's head, only to come out at an off angle through her mouth and cheek. Her cries, whatever was about to follow being abruptly silenced.

The man she was running with, a tall and broad red-haired man had turned in time to see the woman, pierced like a common beast, falling to the earth lifeless. He felt the stirring of the bundle in his arms, and he knew he had no time to stop and mourn her loss. He turned, and he ducked through the trees, only to hear the thump of an arrow as it lodged into the thick wood of the tree he'd been standing by. There was no buzz from that arrow, it'd come as silent as one with properly fletching should.

He ran, the braying of the hounds, and the course laughter of the three men remaining men pursuing him driving him onward. He'd made it no more than one hundred yards when the trees gave way suddenly into a clearing filled with tall grass. At the far end of that clearing was a fair-sized cabin, with smoke curling up from a stone laid chimney. Switching mentally to the common tongue, the man yelled out. "For the love of the Gods! Please help!" His voice, deep and thunderous carried over the clearing, and he could see figures inside stirring.

Hope rose in his breast, just a few moments before the next arrow pierced into his back, causing him to gasp in shock and pain. His body spun with the force of the arrow strike, stalling his run. but he soon began to run again, only to have a second arrow pierce his low back. This time, his stumble took him to the earth. He did all he could as he fell to shield the bundle in his arms. He shifted that bundle to his right arm, and he used his left, to drag himself through the tall grass.

It was then that the two who lived in the cabin had come, and run. They too had bows with arrows ready. The three men pursuing saw this, and that their chance for the kill might go to these new arrivals. Though in truth they did not care. Little did they know they'd become the targets. The man and the woman drew, and loosed. Both arrows shot like lighting across the expanse and struck the two in the front, the first was taken high, the arrow lancing through his neck, the other straight to the chest.
    The third man came to a skidding stop, holding the dogs that even then still brayed loudly, and struggled to get forward to claim the fallen man. He quickly saw the situation for what it was. The man and woman were already drawing fresh arrows, and he turned and ran. Those arrows flew, though he jinked at the last moment, and one tore a line in the back of his neck, the other thumped into his right shoulder. Before any further arrows could be loosed, he let go of the dogs, and fled into the woods.

The two then came to the man, still desperately crawling toward the cabin, his breathing labored, and his motions jerky. The man came to kneel besides the wounded man, and he laid a calming hand on his shoulder. "Peace...we've got yo-" He broke off, seeing the bundle there. "Maureen!" He called. "He's got a child." It was then the smaller of the two came to kneel and she came to gently take the babe from the man, who'd been wrapped and bundled. The babe was awake, and watched on with silent and serious gray eyes. She looked to the man, who hand rolled to his side.

"M-." Blood pored from his mouth, to fall over his lower lip, silencing his words. He coughed, and took a breath, wet sounding with blood. "My son.." he gasped. "Is...Ruindín" He fell forward, his face resting to the earth as he could no longer draw the strength to hold his body upright. He continued speaking though through blood matted teeth. "Son...of Brethilmor..." Blood pored like a small slow river from his mouth and he coughed again.

"And...Wilwarin." He rolled his head to the side, as the two looked on stoically, knowing well what was coming. The man was speaking his dying words. Tears streamed from his eyes, and with all the strength he could muster, Brethilmor grabbed the man's hand who knelt before him. "P-please." he begged. "H-help him." Then the light rapidly faded from his eyes, and those pupils relaxed as all pain fled his body. The hand slipped away, and the body went lax.

Maureen stood, cradling the infant to her, and she looked down, tears running down her face. Her soft voice spoke cleary, despite her tears. "Nathan...he is Elvish" She said, looking at the babe's ears, and the fiery red hair he had. "At least in part..." The man, Nathan, looked up from the dead to his young wife, and he gave a shallow nod. "Aye, and it's Elven, love." He sighed and gently reached out to close the eyes of the dead, before rising to his own feet. He'd have bodies to bury. He'd also need to trace back the trail to see how this all began.

Maureen looked to her husband, and she shifted the babe who up to this point continued to remain silent, despite the commotion. "Well, what will we do with him?" She asked nervously. He was an adorable baby, and those eyes just seemed to see right into her soul. She found herself holding him gently. Nathan drew in a breath, and let it out quickly. "For now, we will care for him, and see if we can find any who would...be better suited to raising one of his blood."

The look on the man's face was a grim one. He knew it would be difficult if not impossible to find the Elves, or even get a message into their lands. He'd try though. One thing was certain, he was not going to let the boy go until he knew he was in the right hands. He knew in his heart that Maureen wouldn't either. "Let's get him inside with Gram and Idara. Then we can tend to...these matters." He said with a sad gesture to the fallen man. Gently he draped his arm over his wife's shoulders, and drew her to his side as he walked with her.

The child shifted his serious gaze from the woman to the tall bearded man, and for the first time he gave a happy coo, and the small hands reached out. If ever there was a sound that could drive a knife into the heart of the man, it was that one. Maureen's tears fell freshly, as she looked up to Nathan. Slowly he pulled his arm from about his wife, and he reached out and took the child. Small fingers wound into that beard with one hand, and his eyes promptly closed into sleep.

Nathan found himself looking to his wife, who had the look of a woman about to get her way. He said nothing in response. The easiest way was to not broach the subject. Entering into the cabin, an old woman rocked gently by the window, holding another bundled infant, also sleeping. She had a look of sadness on her face, and she simply shook her head. Shifting the babe to one arm, she held out her other for the other. Nathan gently deposited Ruindíin into that arm, and she held the two as she rocked. She said simply, in an old and cracking voice. "Go on. I'll call to Maureen if they need milk." And with that, she looked down to the two, one red haired, the other black as night. She resumed her rocking, and began to hum for them an old lullaby.

With a look given back to them, the man and his wife exited the cabin, to take care of the distasteful work that was now their responsability.
    "Ruindin" Idara said softly. "Your going to get us in trouble!" The young boy looked to his sister, and a slow smiled grew. "I didn't ask you to come Idara. I don't need your help to hunt a buck." He said. The two had grown, and were both now around the age of fourteen. Idara had taken on the beautiful aspects of their mother, while Ruindin had only begun to grow, and was already working toward catching up the height gap that had grown between them.
    He watched as Idara bit her bottom lip, a habit of hers that annoyed him to know end. Her lip popped free, and she narrowed her eyes in the same manner as their mother. "Well, if you do kill something with that bow of yours, how will you get it home? You’re not exactly as big as father." She said in a hushed voice, as they moved in slow circles from the cabin. Ruindin knew she was right, he just didn't understand why she needed to go absolutely everywhere with him. He didn't say anything, knowing it was a futile effort. They went on into the forest. His father had told him the day he could bring down a buck on his own, he'd be a man, and Ruindin desperately wanted that day to come. He wanted to see the look in his father’s eyes.

The day was upon him. For some fifty yards away, there stood a full-grown buck. Idara saw it, and also went still, though she may actually have seen it first, for she'd stopped just barely before him. That annoyed him, he should have seen it first. It mattered not, for her slowly drew that arrow, and took sight on the buck. The arrow flew, and it struck home so soundly, the buck simply lurched as if to run, but toppled over. His first formed and he pumped it downward, giving a cry of triumph. "Yes!" He and Idara called. Then she hugged him, and he felt the warm press of her lips to his cheeks. She pulled away, and he found himself standing there stupefied. That single kiss burned there, and he knew not why. His brows drew down, and he found Idara looking to him, her bottom lip bitten. Oddly, it didn't seem to annoy him now. Her soft voice came breaths later, breaking his thoughts. "See. You need me." Then she turned, and moved to the buck. He followed mutely after.
    "You can't leave us, Ruindin!" Idara cried in fury, her normally alabaster skinned face tinged with a dark red. "You just can't just leave us and go off looking for a family that is dead!" She shouted as her foot came down and her fists clenched to her side. It was then that both her mother and her father called out in unison. "Idara!" But her mother continued. "That is enough! Come with me right now!" Maureen took her daughters hand, and promptly lead her back to her room, where the door was shut.

Nathan looked to his son, and he drew in a slow breath. He knew how mad his son was. They'd told him what had happened to his parents. What had been done by humans, but men, just like his parents. They'd told them they'd tried to get a message to his kindred, but never gotten a response. But all knew it was not an easy feet to get a message into the lands of the Elves. They guarded their boarders very thoroughly. "Ruindín" He said, pronouncing the name in the way his father had with his dying breath, not how his sister, mother, and Gram had.

I know, right now your heart hurts. I know your angry, and the sight of a human, even ones that have been your family, makes your blood burn." He looked to the sixteen-year-old man, and he saw the pain in his gray eyes "I hope one day, you will find what you seek, and you will come back to us. We will always be your family, and we will always love you." Nathan saw the flood of different emotions in the boy’s face and eyes.

Ruindín stepped back, and he turned. "Wait!" Nathan called out. "You must wait. I have something you will need." He turned then, and he moved off into his own room. He came back a moment later with an old trunk carried between both hands by rope handles. He thumped it down. "These...where your fathers..." he said as he knelt beside the box and pull the lid open on hinges that gave a slight squeak of protest at being used after so long.

Inside there was armor, and knives of Elven make. Ruindín stepped forward, and he slowly picked it up. He saw then that two of the pieces on the back were different. He looked at them curiously, and then into the trunk. There sat the originals, both with a smooth hole, and deep stain about their edges. He understood then, and his jaw set firmly. Nathan rose and spoke in a voice low and with both pride and sadness. "Let me help you get it on."

Ruindín looked to his father, and simply dropped the armor. Stepping over it and around the trunk he threw his arms around the dark-haired man who'd raised him, loved him, and taught him as any father should. He squeezed him. "I..." Ruindín spoke, but faltered. Collecting his thoughts, he continued. "I am not angry with you, or mother. Not even Idara." he said the last almost with a joking tone. "I've been lucky to be made part of this family. It is my family. But I need to know if I have others out there that are as well. I need to know if they know what has happened to my...my other parents." He said drawing back.

Tears stood unshed in his gray eyes. "Once I find that out, I will be back father." He said, ensuring there was no doubt in the Nathan's eyes, who he saw as his father. "Thank you, for teaching me. Thank you for everything." Then Nathan, tears standing in his own eyes, gave a nod. "Let’s get you ready for the road, Ruindí-" Ruindin raised a hand then causing his father to cut off. "Ruindin." He said gently. Saying his name the way the family had come to know him. "To you I am always Ruindin, your son." He smiled a sad smile. Nathan gave a proud nod, moved, and picked up the armor. It would only take the two of them a quarter of the hour to outfit him and adjust the straps to his frame, and then position those knives about so they could be reached.

It was then that Maureen and Idara came from the room. Both women had faces that were red with signs of recent distress. Ruindin turned to them, and he saw his mother's composure break. Tears, which had so recently been shed, came on fresh and heavy. She rushed to him, and wrapped him in her arms. The sight of her boy, armed and armored was to much. She knew he was going into the world, but such a sight was only that much more a reminder that it was not a friendly place, and he might not come back.

She fell into a hiccupping crying mess. Idara pushed her gently back so that she might have a moment to regain her composure, and she stepped in front of her brother. Her dark eyes serious and firm. "You come back to me, Ruindin." She then took his head gently in both hands and pulled so he would have to lean down to her, having grown well past her height. She placed a kiss to his brow then. "Come back." She said, and then, letting him go, she fled back to her room.

Maureen, covering her mouth to hold back her sobs, watched the whole thing, while her husband had come and laid a comforting hand on her shoulder. Finally, she dropped her hand and extended both of her arms to her son. Ruindin smile, almost shyly, and moved to his mother, to wrap her into his arms as he had when he was young.

She held him, just like she had when he was a boy no more than five, and she rocked and did her best not to cry. Finally, she spoke. "If you get in any trouble, just come home...We are your family always. You may find others, but we will always be here for you." She gently pushed him back then, and stroked his shoulder, as if trying to smooth out armor as if it were cloth.

"You look so handsome." She breathed. A mischievous twinkle coming to her eye. "Please, if a young woman catches your fancy, make sure to bring her home before she has children!" The look of stunned and horrified shock on Ruindin's face was what she would remember. She cackled with delight as he called out in protest.

"Mother!" Nathan gave a grin and a wink to his son, who was about as red as a young man could get. Then his mother was there hugging him again. "I love you, my Ruindin. The God's blessed our lives with yours. Make us proud." Then she kissed his cheek and she turned to seek the waiting arms of her husband, Nathan.

Nathan wrapped her up in his arms. "Write, and let us know how you are from time to time. If you are in the area, you had better stop by. I don't think your mother would stand for anything less." He smiled. "Safe travels, my son."

Ruindin, shouldered his pack, and he stepped back to wave farewell. He did not look behind him, for his resolve to leave may have shattered. From the doorway his mother and father watched him, and from the side of the house, his sister, crying hard, watched though tears as he vanished into the woods.

Ruindin slowly walked down the well-travelled road leading to the south. He'd found out where the Elven lands were, that part had been much easier than he'd ever thought. It seemed everyone knew just where the Elven lands were, but there were far fewer people willing to travel there, as the Elves were notoriously strict on who they even let approach their boarders. So for four years from the time since he'd left his family behind, he'd traveled with one merchant or another, slowly working his way toward the lands of the Elves.

He did what jobs he could. The skills he'd learned from his adoptive family were prized on the road. Hunting, fishing, mending equipment, and foraging were all skills any merchant or caravan had use of, and it was this skill that made him marketable. The only trouble he had was finding the right caravans that would get him closer to his destination. At times it was beyond frustrating, as there were seemingly no merchants or Caravans heading in the right direction.

To hunt, in many of those lands he needed to be traveling with a merchant or Caravan lead with a license from whatever lord was over the lands they crossed to hunt. Not having one would prove very hazardous to one's health. He'd seen the ramifications with his own eyes what they did to poachers. The dominate hand was too steep a price to pay for that failure.

Finally, sometime after his twentieth year, he found a caravan that was traveling to the towns that had been established closest to the Elven boarders. Finally, his time had come! When they'd arrived in the village, for it really should not have been called a town. He split from the caravan, and made his way to the Elven Boarder.

Ruindin had no idea how he'd recognize the boarder, but he suspected it had something to do with the tree line in the distance. So, shouldering the pack that road on his shoulders he made his way for it. Though he didn't know precisely where the boarder was, it became apparent when no less than three separate arrows struck the ground no more than a foot before him. all with in less than a few inches from the other.

He halted, and began to scan the trees in the distances, following the direction the arrows would have flown from to reach where they'd landed. He saw nothing. Knowing the Elves had just declared their boarder to him, he let his pack drop to the ground, and he lowered to sit before the arrows, and wait. His wait was a long. Day after day, he sat, and waited. He slept at night, and hunted small game, using the provided arrows when the time came. But when no task occupied his attention, he sat cross legged on the earth, palms resting atop knees, and staring at the forest.

When a month and a day had come and gone, and his patience was beginning to ware thin, he saw the first of the Elves which held the boundaries, for he came striding from the forest, bow in hand, arrow ready, but not drawn. Once he'd cleared the tree line, Ruindin watched as two others, one to the right and the other the left, came out as well.

Each ready, and wary of a fight. The moved with grace, speed, and poise. Their clothes were ideal to keep them concealed within the forest, and their hair was tucked back into their hoods. As the center Elf drew nearer though, that hood was pushed back. Slowly Ruindin rose to his feet.

The elf stopped some twenty paces away, his silvery blond hair almost glowing in the light. Ruindin could clearly see why he'd kept it covered. In the forest it would give him away easily. Then he looked to the other two. They too had discarded their hoods, and their hair shone brightly.

Curiously Ruindin looked between the three, until the center leader spoke. The words he spoke, Ruindin found puzzling, though he could hear the flow of them, the same flow his own name held. He hadn't the faintest idea of what they meant.

The look on his face must have been enough for the leader, for he switched to the common language, his accent thing, and lovely. "You have to much patience to wait so boldly at our boarder Quendi Taure. Who are you, and why have you come here?" Ruindin found himself quietly working his way through those words. He didn't understand the name he'd been called, so he slowly gave a tilt to his head, almost questioningly.

"I, am Ruindin Cole." He said, using the adoptive name of his parents, for he'd never known if he had a last name, or if the Elves even took them. He knew his father had not given one on his dying breath.

"I have come seeking any of my blood, or of relation to it." He paused looking between the three, as he saw smiles grow. They were not the sort of smiles that said welcome though. They almost seemed mocking. "My father and mother were killed when I was an infant. I was brought up by a human family. Those they sent to find what relations I had never returned word." He finished.

The lead elf let his smile break and the other two seemed to be holding back laughs even before he spoke. "If these others came here, then they would not have been granted entry, nor would they have found anything, Quendi Taure." His smile turned sickeningly sweet.

"Can you not see? You are of no relation to our blood line. But come, little cousin. We will take you in, and tell you of where your line comes from." The other two now laughed, for it was apparent that this youth, for he was a youth to them, was in desperate need of their aid. The three came to him, and lead him into the woods.

Ruindin had expected to be taken in straight away, but once they reached the tree line, they stopped. The leader simply vanished silently, while the other two waited, with patronizing smirks when they looked to him. When he'd asked what they waited for, the smiles came, but no answers with it. So he sat again, and he waited.

It seemed he'd made it only a few hundred yards, and would go back to waiting. Two days he would wait there, until finally the leader that had first spoken to him would approach, but with a woman by his side. She did not attempt to hide herself, and with a wave of her hand, she sent the others on their way. The three guards practically melted from his sight.

As the guards faded away into the forest, the woman, wearing a pure white cloak and dress slowly stepped forward with grace beyond anything a mortal could muster, perhaps even more than even another elf. She pushed her hood back, and when she did so she spoke with a voice so smooth and warm, it was like sweet honey and milk.

"Young Ruindín" She said gently, using the proper pronunciation of his name. "I have heard of your tale, and know that we all share in your grief at the loss of your parents. Know as well we share the grief in that you were raised away from your own kind."

She stopped just a step or two from him, and she looked up to him, a smile so natural and lovely that Ruindín could not help but return it, though his was only a pale imitation. She spoke gently to him again, as she held out her hand to him, slender palm up. "Please, walk with me, and we shall discuss your family." Slowly his gaze lowered to the proffered hand, and he reached out to set his atop of hers. Her slender fingers curled about his larger rougher hand, and his about hers.

The walked then, heading out from the forest, and back toward the village. This alone startled and made his hopes fall. "Ruindín. Your people came from the woods, though are not of our bloodline." She said gently, her face turning to look up to his. She read there the crestfallen look as easily as one might read the words on a page. Her smile grew.

"Fear not, for you have not traveled far enough yet. Not by half, young Ruindíin. You must turn west, and follow the river you will cross. It will cross into the Elven lands, but you will be known by a token." She said, and reached into her cloak, drawing forth a little cylinder of crystal. It held a soft green glow. She reached then to him, and affixed it to his belt, so it would hang in plain sight.

"Those that see you will let you pass through our lands, as long as you wear this." She gently brought her hand to rest on his cheek. Her eyes flicked over that stern young face. "So solemn for one so young. You've eyes that see more than most." She gently withdrew her hand. "I will also send word ahead by bird. Your people will know you come, and of your story. I promi-"

She broke off as Ruindín quickly shoved her aside, just in time to avoid the throwing knife that passed now between them. Ruindín's approach to the Elven lands had not gone unnoticed by those within the town, and he'd spoken of it to those within his caravan. It seemed some of those workers and towns people had sought to try to gain some prize from the Elves when they'd come out.

Four men, and one woman strode toward them now, the woman held a bow, and the others held stout sticks. Ruindín quickly looked between them, and edged toward his host. Casting a glance back over his shoulder, he saw many Elves coming from the tree line, all with bows.

They were out of range though. This was certainly not what he'd wanted. He whipped his head back though when he'd heard a startled cry. It was a voice that only moments ago had been rich with warmth. Protruding from her left shoulder she was the shaft of an arrow, and in her hands, she held a bow lacking a string. Ruindin moved then to catch her, as she began to topple.

Those lovely gray eyes were filled with pain, and her teeth were gritted as she tried to bare it. The advance of both the Elves, and the humans had stopped. The four men swiveled to stare at the woman who had loosed the arrow, and one bellowed. "What the hell Nel? We need her alive!" The human girl, a small strawberry blond looked about frantically. "Y-you saw her! She pulled the bow from nowhere!"

Ruindin didn't hear it though, for the woman was pressing that bow into his hands. "S-save...me" She breathed. With those words, Ruindin lifted the bow, and without thought he reached forward, until he felt a thrumming in between his fingertips. He gripped it, and just like that, the ruins on the bows face blazed a brillant azure.

A light shot down the bows tips and up its center as the string and arrow formed. Not thinking, Ruindín drew the bow, and loosed a shaft of brilliant blue. It arched, and struck the bow in the girl’s hands. The bow burst as if it were made of glass, it's shards cutting the girls hands.

Another drawing motion produced another shaft of light, and with a shift he leveled it at the lead man who'd yelled. Ruindin's teeth were shown to the man and he snarled. "Run. Away." And much to his surprise, the five ran.

As soon as he relaxed his grip, the light faded. Ruindín dropped the bow, and move then to cradle the woman in his arms. Her blood stained her white gown, but she looked to him with a new look, of pain and awe. "Your blood is.." and then her eyes fluttered closed.

More footsteps drew closer though and he spun. The hum was in his hands and he twisted and drew. The azure shaft of light buzzed between his fingertips. The Elven leader slid to a stop, his own bow drawn, but a look of horror on his face. Ruindín quickly lowered the bow again, and set it aside.

"Help her.." he said, and then the Elven guard fell in around them. Ruindin would not remember much of the walk into the forest. He walked beside the Elves that bore their mistress's wounded form. He could see though that she was alive from her shallow breaths.

As they walked, he held the woman's bow, and none would take it from him, though he offered. He could hear that humming, buzzing in his mind, and feel it on the tips of his fingers. The walk was long, but eventually the trees gave way to less dense trees, and the city of the Elves grew before him. Upon the sight of the wounded, more Elves rushed to whisk the mistress away, and at this point, Ruindín felt he could hardly stand.

Someone was talking to him. It was the elf he'd first spoken with out by the boarder. A part of Ruindín's mind noticed he looked much less snide; in fact he looked frightened. For all he tried though Ruindín could not make out what he was saying. The man's voice just grew more and more distant.

Ruindín tumbled forward, and fell to his side. Finally the bow left his hand, and faded to mist. The world went black.

Sound came to his ears before ever his eyes opened. Dim light filtered past his eyelids, and finally, the slowly parted to allow the light in. It stung, and his hand rose slowly to shield his eyes, as a gush air past his lips in protest. A soft voice, one he'd not heard before spoke. "He is rousing, Mistress." It was a feminine voice. Slowly his head would turn towards it's sound, and he could make out colors mixed in with the bright light.

"Yavie, please draw the curtains. The light might be a bit harsh to his eyes." Another voice, one which was like honey and warm milk said. Just hearing it caused a peace to flow through him. She'd lived. Suddenly the light dimmed noticeably, and he saw sitting in a chair by his bedside was the woman he'd walked with, and behind her, fixing the curtains was woman who could easily have been a close relative, if her eyes had not been so hard.

When his eyes moved back to the woman from before she smiled gently. Ruindin's eyes slowly moved about the room he was in. It was large, and filled with white and silver shades. Then the woman spoke again, drawing his attention back to her. "Young Ruindin, I did not give you my name before. But perhaps now, things are different, for you have saved my life." Her gentle tone, and the claim that he'd saved her was to much he began to work to stammer, though she continued on.

"I am called Galadre, and you, my young savior did something you should not have been able to. You drew hisluva." She said, her eyes now serious, and deep. Ruindin found himself meeting her gaze, and knowing she spoke of the bow, and that it's name was Hisluiva, the Mist Bow. His voice rolled out, sounding more tired and strained than he thought it really should have. "The..mist bow?" He asked, seeking affirmation that what he understood now was indeed what it was.

She gave a solemn nod in answer, her eyes boring into his. "It was my understanding that you did not speak our language. How is it you knew the name of the bow then? Have you heard of it before?" Her tone was gentle, but also leaving no room to doubt she sought an honest answer. Ruindin shifted uncomfortable at the tone. "No, I do not speak your language. I was raised by...a human family. I do not know how I knew."

He watched her frown appear upon her face, marring the perfect features. He found he did not enjoy the sight of that frown, for in his heart, he watched something beautiful distort into something it was not meant to be. The look changed back almost as soon as it had come. "It would seem that you've taken it away from me." She said gently and then she looked down to her hands. "Hisluiva chooses it's wielder, and it's bond with you was strong from the moment you picked it up."

She gave a sad smile. "Those that have wielded it, all save the first of us, have shown a deep purple or a at most a green light when we have used it. It has not had the azure blue for over one thousand years. It is destined to do great things in your hands." She smiled then and rose to her feet. "When you are rested, you will travel through our lands to your peoples.

It will take you time, and you may find yourself needing the bow you even now carry in your soul. The road is dangerous." She bowed her head gently then, and as gracefully as when he'd first seen her, glided from the room, followed by the other, who seemed to glare at him all the while.

Though he would soon travel further south, through the Elven land’s and out, he would not leave immediately, he had still to recover his strength, and that would take time. In the days that came to pass, he was visited numerous times by Galadre.

The other woman, Yavie, always with her, and always watching him with eyes the spoke of dislike. One one such visit, she’d explained more about the Mist bow. It was a weapon forged long ago, but not by the hands of the Elves. It was forged by their creators, the Eyael, and was said to have a soul of its own.

It was always bonded, and it was set that when it broke a bond, it was because the one it had bonded to would soon pass to the next life. This news had come as a great shock, and Ruindin found himself on his feet, and pacing. The eyes of the girl Yavie followed him as he paced, cool and heavy. He saw the look, and understood now the emotion behind that look.

She blamed him for the doom that was to come. The changing of the bond signified that Galadre would soon pass from the world. Drawing in a breath he turned to face the two woman, one who’s look was as warm as the summer sun, the other who’s gaze was a cold as an artic glacier. “How do I undo the bond then? If such is to mean you perish, I want nothing of it.” He said firmly, his voice conveying a wealth of emotions he could not express with words. Galadre’s gaze warmed even more, and her smile became soft. Yavie’s gaze remained unchanged.

“The bond is the choice of the Bow. Not ours. It leaves us when it is another’s duty to wield it. Thus is the wisdom of the Eyael.” She said and then she rose to her feet. “Besides, to do so might very well speed your own passing from this world.” Ruindin looked to her, his gray eyes burning. “Then so be it!” he said stubbornly, and with a passion previously unknown to him. “I will find a way to bind it back to you. Your time is not yet done!”

It was this statement, and the redness of his face that saw the thawing of Yavie’s gaze. The first flickers of warmth shown then. It would not last, for Galadre slowly moved to Ruindin, and laid a hand to his chest. “Peace.” She spoke in a breath. “You’ve a destiny, and mine is closing. What will come will come. Though I may only have a few brief years left, I am content that I’ve seen this task passed into your care.” She leaned then, and kissed his cheek.

When she pulled away, he stood with a heated face. She looked at it fondly. “I will show you how to manifest your bow in the coming days. Once you’ve learned to call on it, I am sure you will wish to go and seek out your people. For now, rest. Tomorrow will be trying for you.” She gave a soft bow of her head, and she and Yavie left yet again. She told the truth the following day was trying to say the least.

The calling of the Hisluiva required an intense mental focus, and as the bond was fresh, far more energy than he would expend later for such a task. Galadre had explained to him that the bonding was still underway, and the more often he called upon the Bow, the easier it would be, and the less energy it would take.

Ruindin spent the day calling, and dismissing the bow. His first attempt to call the bow had taken him the better part of two hours, and its dismissing would either happen when he closed those mental connections, or when he’d run out of energy. If he left the connections open, the bow would continue to draw on him until it could draw no more. It was why he’d felt so exhausted and required so much rest after it’s first use.

The bonding of the bow, and the use for two shots was a great strain to happen all at once. Historically, it had almost always happened this way, but there were a few occasions it had been handed to another when no peril had been present. His bond was also much stronger than any in countless years. Stronger even the Galadre’s own had been.

Days would go by, and soon Hisluiva would come at a moments notice, and he would be able to fire blazing shot after shot. On that day, Galadre had come, though for the first time her unhappy shadow was no where within sight. Galadre moved to him as he’d finished a set of shots with Hisluiva. “You’re bond with Hisluiva is strong, and complete.” She said gently.

Ruindin turned, and found she had been watching from but a few paces away. He gave a nod. “Yes, I can feel it now. It comes when I call, and leaves when the need has passed.” He watched her cautiously, knowing that though she had passed the bow to him, it must still pain her to let it go. He also knew that his next words, though expected, would hurt them both, though for different reasons.

“It is time that I depart, though I wish you to know that I am grateful for the care you have given me.” By the look that flashed through Galadre’s eyes, she’d known it was coming, but had not expected those to be the words he spoke. He watched as a myriad of emotions changed the contours of her face before her gentle expression returned. “Of course. I had known the time was drawing close, though I had hoped you would stay longer.” She gave a smiling sigh. “When had you planned to leave, Ruindin?”

Ruindin, looked down to his hands and then back up. “I’ll shall leave at dawn on the morrow, Galadre. Though something tells me we will meet again.” He said gently. He said this not only to try to assuage some of his own guilt, but because he felt in his heart that it was genuinely true. Though her time to wield Hisluiva had passed, he tasks on this earth were not yet finished. Galadre, for her part smiled. He’d come to realize that though her smiles all seemed to be gentle, and warm, there were slight variances to them. This one said to him she thought him kind. Polite even, but foolish to a degree. He did not speak of what he noticed though, for it might offend her.

“Well then, I look forward to our next meeting. You will have to tell me of all you have accomplished young one.” She said. She’d reverted to calling him young one, rather than his name. A part of Ruindin’s mind wondered if that was her way of distancing herself from him. Her way of preparing to part. He simply gave her a gentle bow of his head. “It shall be as you say.” He said in deference. This brought another smile, one that said that she’d enjoyed the way he’d worded their last exchange. It was indeed their last exchange, for after that, Ruindin would not see her again. He left at dawn, moving out of the Elven city, and into the woods beyond.

Attachments

• Mair2.jpg
    Mair2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back