• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Some kind of Fallout based group or 1x1 Rp?

Are you interested?

• yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Pixelated

The Genetically Unstable One
Fallout Nickle City OOC And Sign Up The OOC and Sign Up!
So, this is a thing, it may take a while to get set up, due to the nature of... everything that could go into this, I just wanted to ask if before I began to plan this out (heck I don't even have a story in mind) if, people were actually interested in this? like if this was an idea that could actually get somewhere, I'm looking for 3 or 4 people anyone really as long as you know how Fallout's 3,NV and 4 (sort of) worked who can possibly help me work out how to do everything using the dice, shouldn't be too hard right?

Last edited:
Recently got myself into a Fallout kick again, been thinking about finding something like this, small group, story intensive, and something fresh that isn't just retreading all the previous Fallout games.

While I'd be interested in helping configure a system to make dicerolling functional. I do have several little storylines I've worked on for Fallout in the past, and am working on a bit.as of late, so can potentially provide and run a story if people were interested?

You have some storylines? that's brilliant, I've already got an Idea to make dice rolling fit in with S.P.E.C.I.A.L and that's you roll the dice more the higher your points are, for strength you would do say 10 damage but if you had 10 points you would roll 5 dice add them together and that's how much damage you could do with your bare hands. To prevent us from retreading fallout games we could have the RP in a different area? but being British I know little of American cities

So you're thinking a number of dice get rolled equal to half your stat? Presumably rolled against some difficulty threshold or some sort?

Well, I have one story in progress, had initially started writing it for a roleplay, shelved it, then started rewriting it to potentially provide the storyline for a Fallout 4 New Lands type Mod. I however am not a modder, just a creative writer. So it's been on hold for a while until as of late.
That story could take place in Buffalo, or Albany (New York State, in case if you needed to look up where the cities are). Albany is where I moved that story after I realized I needed to be able to move the main character there for the Fallout 4 mod. But since its back to RP, could easily jump back to Buffalo. Story is light on elements and factions from the Commonwealth, focusing on new factions and potentially a familiar one that's undergone some serious changes to stave off dying out.

Alternatively, could go the more western style, do something set in Dallas or Houston if you want the more West Coast/Western flavor of Fallout. Could easily imagine the NCR butting heads with some Lone Star type government in Texas. But I'd have to write that up from scratch.

In reality the closer we are to the Commonwealth without intruding on Fallout 4 or 3 territories the better (as having never played NV myself, really damn want to though), knowing little about Albany and Buffalo I'll leave the decision of setting up to you, apart from that there is another big hurdle, and that's combat, if it was kept simple I could check out the wiki and get some numbers on health of NPC's and damage of stock weapons, weapon mods obviously complicate matters

I wouldn't overcomplicate things regarding weapons and damage. Guns tend to do a heap of damage to things, and that's dumbed down for games so that you don't just get onetapped. Keeping it simple like having certain calibers and rounds doing a certain number of hitpoints per shot or burst would be easy enough.
10mm does say 2 damage, with a 10mm SMG doing 3 since it'd be automatic, if you succeed your roll to hit, you've hit and do your three or two damage. Etc. No need to get ridiculously crazy unless we decide we're actually using a legit PNP system. In which case we should use an established one rather than work one up.

I highly suggest New Vegas, admittedly, Fallout 3 was my entry into the series, but New Vegas has a distinct flavor and feel to it that's totally separate from 3 and 4.

why do I always think of the most round about ways of doing things, but yeah that would be a lot easier to do, actually now that I think about it that's a lot like the way Fallouts 1 and 2 handled combat, I have also never played them, do you think we need to figure anything else out aside from characters? possibly energy weapons but that could just be the same as ballistic weapons just more powerful? should Chems be included or would they just complicate things?

Weapons would make sense to get more progressively powerful as makes sense. Would just need a comprehensive chart before starting so everyone was on the same page, and HP could be as simple as your Endurance doubled. So an E:6 character would have 12 hitpoints.

Chems, I dunno, some might make sense to give a minor buff to your roll, could be as simple as giving you a little buff to your roll, or reducing the difficulty threshold you gotta hit.
Also makes some sense to me to determine early on how we handle characters hitting 0 hitpoints, is that instant death? Being knocked unconscious, and any further damage take results in death? How hardcore we want to get and all.
I figure armor would be easy, provides a flat Damage Resistance, with only high tier/advanced armors completely preventing damage. (Like only being able to reduce incoming damage to a minimum of 1 point unless wearing some really kickass combat armor or Power Armor perhaps?)

Yeah Armour would reduce the amount of damage, basic removing 1 or 2 points where as advanced power armour such as T-60 or X-01 reducing the damage taken to lower numbers, I think that if someone is lowered to 0 they shouldn't be removed but say couldn't post for a day? maybe a few hours? however if we got attacked by say a deathclaw at low levels this would end the RP immediately, so it's not the best idea, as for starting equipment we could limit it to say 500 caps and then people would have to sort out their armour and weapons without going over 500 caps? (just an idea)

Well I wouldn't want to make it an easy coast if someone was knocked down to 0 hp, should be bad, no matter what. Risk of death should be a constant danger.
I don't want to dig too deep into starting cash and all that quite yet. Cause I just remembered there's a d20 system called Exodus, which had originally be licensed by Interplay (original creators of Fallout) to be an official Fallout RPG book, but they got sued by Bethesda (Thanks Bethesda, didn't even release a replacement option) and went to a more neutral new lore. But it's still Fallout for the most part from all I've read.
Gonna see if I can find the book in a PDF file or something. might make our lives infinitely easier.

So it should be that if you are knocked to 0 hp you have to wait 2 hours before you can post again, to simulate some kind of medical treatment, that RPG book sounds really helpful, I found something like it once however that was two years ago

That system seems to be incorporating a lot of very odd Fallout lore I've never seen before (EG, Sentient Deathclaws, I've seen hints at them being smarter than they look or act. But few things about that PDF have me not entirely convinced.
Not to mention it seems to be literally transcribing the Fallout 1 and 2 rules into an RPG PDF, which isn't a bad thing, but would be clunky and bulky to use for a forum play by post.

I did however just get a copy of the Exodus main book as a PDF. Gonna give it a read and see if its any good. Worst case scenario, we use our uber simple system, or just pure text roleplay it and not be god-mode lords of death.
I'll let you know what I see in the Exodus PDF.

EDIT: If you want the PDF yourself for a look-over, let me know, I still have the link I downloaded from, so far no viruses.

So Exodus looks really solid. It however will be significantly more involved than the simple dicerolling we'd discussed.
So it might be worth discussing how hardcore we want to play this, and including the fact I honestly have never run any sort of d20 system.

EDIT: Since I can see there have been a few people who've voted yes, anyone else got an opinion they want to share regarding use of a full PNP system vs a dice/roll light and or traditional play-by-post?

Last edited:
Alright, sounds like you'd prefer a very simplified system of just a quick roll to add randomization to actions. over having an entire system to deal with. Right?

yeah basically, systems take time to learn, I'm worried that the Rp will die off before it's learnt, but which do you prefer?

Can just do something quick and dirty, special stats only go up to 10, unless boosted by something like power armor, chems or whatever.
Say you're trying to hold a door shut while there's a horde of feral ghouls trying to bust through, you roll a d10 against your Strength, and if you roll UNDER your stat, you pass, if it's ABOVE your stat, you fail. That way a higher stat is still desirable and provides a fast and easy system for a I do this or that type system.
Sorta a mix of Fallout 3 and 4, skip the skills, but apply the skills right into the stat.

that seems like it'd work but it would also make it so someone with 10 strength couldn't fail as every number on a d10 is 10 or under

True, totally forgot about that, maybe use D12s? Slightly increases the chance of failure for people with low stats, but gives a marginal chance of failure for high statted characters.

I guess that could work, do you think anything else needs to be done or are we set? all I can think of is finishing off the story and choosing either Buffalo or Albany

Last edited:
Well, would prefer to have a small group over a 1v1 or two person. So a few more people would be awesome.
But yeah, I just need to recollect my notes and get something written up, and get a more solid idea of how I'll script the story out.
Mostly just some writing, I think I have a sign up sheet in the word file, as well as a system I've used in the past for other roleplays to great effect. basically, everyone can start with whatever low end gear they want, pipe guns, 10mm pistols, maybe a double barrel or a beat up bolt action. But as part of their signup, they pick a number from a list, which corresponds to a little set of sweet gear or equipment. Basically lets everyone start with something neat in some way, or good. Also had started writing up some perks that might go with them, like being lucky (Might net you a reroll, etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back