• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom So Ya Want to be a Master?

Involuntarily giggling Kyle gives off a slight look of confusion before Oak walks in. Accepting the peck on the cheek he watches her walk out of the room before joining Professor Oak to review the results of the tests.

"I guess so Professor. I think it's only natural since we've been through a good deal together and are always together. I hate even putting her inside the pokeball."

Oak nods. "You're not the first trainer I've met who kept his Pokemon outside with him. Now then, I'm going to pull up these figures, and we can go over them together. If any of these figures don't make sense, now's the time to tell me -- I'm happy to clarify."

So saying, he pulls out a sheet of paper from the printer and begins to read.

Attack: Above Average
Defense: Average
Special Attack: Top-tier
Special Defense: Top-tier
Affection: Maxed
Friendliness: Maxed
Domestication: 79%
Intelligence: Top bracket
Instinct/action ratio: 1/4
Communication: Top bracket
Memory integrity: 97%
Aggression: 38%
Mega Evolution: Yes
Behavior status: Modified_trainer_class

As Oak goes through each figure, he looks up to make sure you understand what the data means. The last tag makes him take pause for a moment.

"Any questions?"

"The rest of the stats I understand Professor but that last one has me curious. Does it mean that technically she could wear her trainer belt and still be the trainer of Cynthia? Even though she's in the form of a Gardevoir?"

Looking to the professor for an answer he was unsure if he would get a definitive one seeing as it was unheard of for a pokemon to exhibit high enough intelligence to control other pokemon and give orders and to communicate with other trainers. Charlie certainly was a special case though. Scratching his chin even though he didn't have much facial hair he pondered for a moment wondering about the implications of this.

"Well," says Oak thoughtfully, "While Charlie does have the intelligence to train Pokemon, her instinct would prevent it because she seems them differently now. To her Pokemon are more like the way she used to see humans. They speak her language, so to speak, so she feels unable to tell them what to do unless you give her permission. Actually, what that last trait means is quite rare. See, I hope this won't strike you as odd, because it often does strike folks as odd, but--"

"Oh, so she is in love with you!" laughs Kukui, bounding into the room hands full with plates of food. Oak looks exasperated, but lets out a sigh and nods.

"Modified_trainer_class is a tag the system uses to indicate when a Pokemon is so affectionate to its trainer that it begins behaving in ways intended to try to make the trainer fall in love with it."

"Just be grateful she doesn't know Attract!" laughs Kukui.

"It also means," continues Oak, trying to maintain his patience, "That she's exploring your brain and trying to put parts of herself into it. Now, before this worries you too much, I must emphasize that the result of this behavior in the past has usually been just a shared connection that goes a bit more in depth, and it's unique to psychic types. She's not going to engage in some kind of mind control -- she respects and loves you too much for that -- but if she begins learning moves, and it seems like she can use more than the normal number, it's because she's actually using a very small part of your brain to store the extra moves, and calling on it when in battle."

Kukui nods. "That Gardevoir may have been human, but I think she's all but abandoned that. As the Prof said, only psychics can do what Charlie is doing, and it usually takes years. From the look of it, she's been at it for only a few weeks. I gotta say, Cousin, you must have treated her well. Usually even Gardevoir don't like their trainers this much this fast."

"I'll send this data to Bill for you," adds Oak. "It's possible that he can do something with it if you still want to attempt to change her back."

"In the meantime, breakfast!" says Kukui. "I made it Alola style. Enjoy!"

Listening to the professor as he explains his answer to Kyle's question, Kyle nods and listens carefully until Kukui comes in with all of their breakfasts. His eyes bugging out he looked between both professors.

"Love? As in boyfriend/girlfriend type of love or love as in very close friends?" he questioned nervously.

While he most certainly had been extra kind to her and done his best to be extra understanding he didn't think she would be stuck as a pokemon permanently either. He still held out hope that somehow they would find a way to turn her back to her original form. That was the form he had met her in after all. If they couldn't he had no problem taking care of her and giving her the best life possible. As for falling in love with her he didn't know how that would work out.

"So basically what you're saying about her link to my brain professor is that I am an external harddrive?"

Turning to Oak as he goes to send the info to Bill he smiles and nods.

"Thanks Professor," he replies before Charlie makes it back into the room. "Food's here Charlie. Come on and eat with us."

Oak nods. "To answer your first question, if you were a Pokemon, she'd try to be your mate. Since you are not, it'll only go as far as being a very close friend and hugging you without much warning from time to time. As for the second question, yes. She's storing some of her....as you might say, 'operating files' inside you. She's basically trying to expand her abilities.

Kukui laughs. "I had a Lycanroc once who did that. Not the psychic part, the other thing. She eventually cut it out when she realized I was about to get married. But we stayed very good friends. Don't worry, cousin. Gardevoir are already very respectful by nature, and I wouldn't be surprised--" his sentence is cut short by Charlie's appearance.

"Good morning again. That's a very nice smell." She reaches up to her head, where you notice a small bow has been fastened. "Please give the professor my thanks."

Turning to see Charlie enter the room he notices she has a bow on her head.

"Welcome back Charlie. You look nice," he added, wanting to make her feel good for going through the effort of somehow putting a bow on. "Come on over and join us for breakfast. Professor Kukui prepared it."

Turning to the professors he smiled and spoke. "She said to tell you thank you."

"Thanks," she says with a slight bow. "I figured it would be wise to give you some way to distinguish me from other Gardevoir in a crowd."

"Does she now?" asks Kukui with a warm smile. "It's my pleasure, young lady!"

This makes Charlie take another bow, smiling.

It's a quickly finished meal, and Oak hands you a sheet of paper.

"This is how you'll find Bill. He's already let me know he's waiting for you. After you finish with him, well...good luck with the rest of your journey!"

"Yeah, no kidding," adds Kukui. "You've been good to meet, cousin. Stop by Alola sometime - I'll show you the ropes!"

Cynthia, who has taken her place between you and Charlie, let's out a contented sigh.

"Looks like we have to get going so I can be a lab Rattata again, hm? Well...onwards."

Giving each of the professors a bow at the waist, handshake and a smile Kyle almost hated to leave. They were both seemingly great allies not to mention at least one of them was a legend when it came to pokemon and the research of them. Looking over to Charlie and Cynthia pet the Gardevoir girl on the head as soon as they got outside of the door.

"Charlie, I understand that you wouldn't like having all of these tests done on you and I apologize if they make you feel uncomfortable at all. I wouldn't want that for you or anyone else for that matter. I just want to ensure that we exhaust every last option to getting you back to being a human which is your original form before we even think about trading you with one of the professors to make it official that you're my Gardevoir. I promise you every desperate ploy and test and side-tracking mission we go on and have is honestly only to do my best to help you. Please don't take offense to it?"

"I'm not offended...I just...question whether it's all necessary. But you can take your pick. I trust your judgment."

Cynthia smirks, purring slightly under her breath.

"How far is the address?" Charlie asks. "Are we going a long ways? Would a teleport be helpful?"

Before you can answer, a person on the roadside calls out. "Hey! Trainer! Nice Gardevoir -- is she in any Pokemon contests?"

"I think of it as absolutely necessary simply because I would hate to go through the process of trading you and trading you back with the professor only to find out at a later time that there was an option for you to return to your human form that I simply didn't think of or realize. The guilt would eat away at me for the rest of my life."

Looking down at the paper at her question he smirks towards her. Looking up to see the source of the voice he sees the person on the roadside.

"Thank you! No she's not!" he called back before turning to Charlie with a smile.

"Cerulean City. So either we walk all the way from this town to Mount Moon and then to Cerulean, or we can fly, or you can teleport us if you feel up to it?"

"F-funny," she says nervously. "Flight still makes me anxious. M-maybe a walk would do us good...but if you're in a hurry, let's teleport, yeah? I don't want to...um..."

Her statement is cut short by the approach of the trainer from earlier. "You should consider it! Gardevoir frequently do quite well in those contests, and there are some pretty wonderful prizes!

Cynthia grumps a bit at Charlie being interrupted, but keeps quiet.

Watching as the trainer approaches Kyle kneels down to pet Cynthia.

"Don't you worry about it Cynthia. I'm certain you would do just as wonderful in those types of competitions."

Turning his head to look back at the trainer and standing back up to full height Kyle speaks.

"We actually just participated in a battle competition only a couple days ago and it's been a rough couple days so I think we're better off if we just let them relax and enjoy the journey for now. Thanks for the suggestion though and the compliments. I'm certain my Gardevoir loved the praise. Have a nice day."

Having finished what he wanted to say to the trainer Kyle takes Charlie's hand in his own and walks with her down the path. Turning his head every so often he makes sure that Cynthia is following along.

"Why don't we try a teleport? I don't feel like dealing with swarms of Zubat travelling through Mount Moon. While there are reports of Rocket Grunts in that cavern I would rather avoid them until we know what we are doing in your case Charlie."

She nods. "Then a teleport it shall be. Give me a moment to visualize the place..."

Charlie used Teleport!

Cerulean City is bustling. There are...a lot of people and Pokemon bustling about, including another Gardevoir which not only immediately notices you two, but seems quite interested in your traveling companion.

"Oh...um...thank you, but I'm taken."

She turns to Cynthia with a smile and scoops her up, then follows you.

Looking around after they arrive back on solid ground Kyle takes in the scenery. He was amazed at how bustling Cerulean was. He thought it would be comparable in size to Pewter and about the same level of activity but it seemed to be a lot busier. He smirks as Charlie is approached by another Gardevoir.

"Just emanating that feminine charm huh Charlievoir?" he teased after the other Gardevoir turned its attention back to its trainer. "I thought most Gardevoir were female anyway?"

Putting his arm around her he smiles as he takes another look at the map before heading in the direction towards Bill's house. Not but a few minutes and they arrive at a bridge full of trainers.

"Wonder what's going on here?"

"That's a common misconception," she replies. "It's actually 50/50, but the...um...dress, makes it much harder for trainers to tell."

The bridge surprises her too. "That formation is too intentional to be an accident or coincidence. We might need to proceed with caution."

Cynthia, meanwhile, grumbles under her breath. All the noise has put her in a bad mood.

"I have a feeling we may be engaged in another battle soon," notes Charlie with some concern. "At least we'll be ready."

He nods in agreement with her before continuing to walk further onto the bridge. No sooner do they cross the gaze of the first trainer and she approaches looking ready to battle.

"Welcome to the Golden Nugget Bridge! If you manage to beat all of us then you get the Grand Prize of a Golden Nugget! If you want to get to the route ahead you'll have to make it past all of us."

She seemed really chipper and Kyle sighed.

"Fine then. Bring out your pokemon and let's get this over with," he replied looking back to Charlie and Cynthia shrugging. "At least it'll be a good opportunity to train right?"

Charlie nods. "Am I to be first?"

The opposing trainer sent out Weezing!

Cynthia eyes the poison type in a less than friendly fashion. She's smelled this sort before, and is not excited about it.

"Weezing. Poison type. Estimated battle strength in upper mid-range of species. Female."

Charlie says all of this almost automatically, then glances at you, awaiting your call.

Signaling for Charlie to stay back he points to Cynthia.

"Let's go Cynthia! Wash that Weezing out with your Hydro Pump!"

Watching closely he did his best to ensure that Cynthia wouldn't get hit or injured by any poison attacks as she dodged around and then countered with her water attacks. Even though they hadn't landed a direct hit the spray from the Hydro Pumps had eventually soaked the Weezing.

"Now Cynthia! Ice Beam!"

The Vaporeon nails the opposing Pokemon with an impressive amount of power. It's a one-hit KO.

"Wow...um...you're really strong," says the opposing trainer, offering Kyle some pocket money. "Looks like you can go see the next trainer!"

Charlie chuckles. "Cynthia rarely shows off, but when she wants to fight, she fights well. Trust me, she can probably get you through most of this bridge."

Cynthia smiles and yaps contentedly.

"Good luck with the next one," calls the trainer.

"Thanks," Kyle replies with a wave after taking the pocket money.

Turning to Charlie when he hears her speak he nods.

"Apparently," he replies. "But I don't want to push her and she's not the only one that needs some battle experience Charlievoir. You can take the next one if you like."

Moving onto the next trainer and the next they quickly plow through each one. Each one of them only has at most 3 pokemon on them like they were just starting out after all. Here he was with a team of seven which a trainer shouldn't be permitted to carry.

Finally when they made it to the last trainer he revealed himself to be a Team Rocket grunt. Kyle rolls his eyes and prepares for the battle to come. This was the final one he hoped. He was kind of getting eager to meet Bill after all

"What a cliche," remarks Charlie with a hint of sarcasm. "Well, how do we start?"

The grunt sents out a Glalie with a smirk. "You'll see our real power soon enough!"

"I bet. Right after I send you blasting off again..."

"Relax for a minute Charlie. I'm going to use Charmeleon. He'll have the type advantage. Don't push yourself too hard," Kyle telepaths to her before throwing and releasing his Charmeleon.

Pointing at the opponent's pokemon Kyle smirked with confidence.

"Charmeleon! Flamethrower!"

Even if he didn't land a direct hit the heat from the flames should weaken the Glalie until....and then it happened. Kyle noticed the opponent pokemon getting tired, panting for breath.

"Now go Charmeleon! Fire Spin!"

At his trainer's command Charmeleon spun into fiery action and landed the final blow to the Glalie. Charmeleon and Kyle both stood proudly as the grunt returned his pokemon to its pokeball.

The grunt frowns. "Fine. You did a good job. Here." With that, he hands over the money. Bill's house can be seen in the distance.

"Looks like it's time to meet Bill. I imagine our case will interest him. Anyways, I'll make sure the grunt goes away soon."

Charlie used Hypnosis! The grunt blinks, then walks away a few feet, then lies down and falls asleep.

Cynthia looks up worriedly. She seems afraid for her friend.

"I'll be fine, Cynthia. Kyle's got my back!"

Taking the money Kyle looks up to see Bill's house off in the distance. Advancing towards it he doesn't even pay attention to Charlie hypnotizing the grunt before her and Cynthia join him.

"What took you?" he asked once he noticed that they had caught up. "How are you feeling about all of this Charlie? Excited? Nervous? Little of both?"

Looking down to Cynthia with a smile, he asked her as well. "How about you Cynthia? You as hopeful as I that Bill will be able to help Charlie turn back into a human?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back