Other So I came out to some of my family as trans last night (Positive rant?)

BlossomsOfRainbows

*Insert clever comment here*
So I’ve identified as agender (non binary) for a while. Most of my family thought it was “just a phase” and so they didn’t pay it much mind (which I was mostly okay with). Well, lately I’ve been questioning things a bit more, and I realized I’ve actually felt more masculine than non-binary. I’m 19, so technically I shouldn’t care what my parents, grandparents, siblings, etc think. But I decided to bite the bullet and tell my mom, my grandmother on my mom’s side, and one of my sisters how I’ve been feeling.

They’ve all been super supportive about it so far. They’re going to help me pick out some new clothes and help me sell my old stuff (a lot of which doesn’t fit anymore anyways). I’m getting a binder when I get paid next. Overall I’m really happy. I’m just scared because I’m not sure how the rest of my family is going to take it. My other sister will support me no doubt, but I rarely speak to her. My dad has made some homophobic comments before when I tried to tell him I was pan, and his parents and sister are very religious and probably won’t take it well.

For the time being I’ve decided to go by a shortened version of my legal name by the people who do know. Those who don’t can assume it’s just a nickname. I still have to figure out how to explain to my dad and other family members about the binder but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. I know I really shouldn’t care too much but I can’t help it.

Anyways thanks for listening to my rant for a bit haha.

what a privledge and honor to have such a supporting family. I still wish my mom would take me shopping for clothes.

we don't know each other, but I'm really happy for you. it took me forever to get around to doing stuff like that, I'm 26 and I only just came out, and I'm still working on starting most of my transition. I hope that everything pans out with your dad and the other side of your family. if you ever need a friendly face to chat and rant with, feel free to hit me up.

So a little update. I told my dad by text because it’s going to be a while before we see each other in person. I sent him a few images rather than saying directly but I’m waiting for his response. Here’s hoping he takes it well.

Edit: He took it very well. He told me he just wants me to be safe and that he loves me. He wasn’t mad and he didn’t question it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back