Story So his brains were splattered all over the road...

UnhappyUnion

... it was quite the mess really. Not to say the dimly lit, dingy backroad was any more clean: discard beer bottles, the occasional needle, and perhaps a few unsavory latex wrappings. Now that I think of it, perhaps his brains were the only thing clean about the backroad. We paused our squabbles and fighting to pay our respects to him. After-all, he was just passing by on the wrong road, at the wrong time. It was the least we could do as honorable and upstanding 'paragons of virtues' known as magical girls.

Now, if anything else had been flung into the front of his large, hulking, SUV other than the weighty and hefty solid brick that stood at an astounding five feet small known as Lead Bunny perhaps he would have been fine. Then again, maybe we would have to kill him anyways? I know I would have been momentarily splattered if I was hit by that thing. The sputtering and spouting of the engine, metal gears desperately to keep running, along with the hissing of punctured valves broke the quiet of the night.

"Seriously!?" Lead Bunny shouted, peeling herself free from her body halfway buried in the engine, "What kind of jackass comes through these parts at this hour!?" the rambunctious small magical girl had finally managed to free herself, stomping forward, standing next to his body which had took a nasty dive out of his windshield, spattering up and forward along the dirt path, "Without a seatbelt too!"

The three others, including myself, had maintained some silence. It was not unusual that civilians were hurt during our feuds, but usually it occurred in areas where casualties were unavoidable. In-fact, we were specifically out in the backwater woodlands as to avoid unnecessary casualties while we feuded and battled.

Lead Bunny's partner, the other half of the duo my own partner and I were battling with, Air Bunny offered up her own wistful words, "He musta' been zoomin' too! No seatbelt! An' fast down the road! Makes you think!" Air Bunny hopped up and down, her scantly clad coverings of frilly white fluff bobbing and bouncing all about, "Nyoom~!"

"It is most unfortunate," I offered, glancing at my partner, "Reapa, would you do the honors?" I asked of my tall, darkly clad, shadow of a partner.

Though, the motion was denied by Lead Bunny, "He gets to have your mercy!?" she jumped up and over, landing with a small crater forming beneath her form, "Nameless bozo-brain-splattered-loser? Aw, c'mon give me a break! Let the flies n' bugs have at him! He killed the mood! And himself!"

Air Bunny chimed in, giggly as always, scampering about, flipping up and over the body, "Well! Ya' wants to get technical! Embry killed him by proppelin' your fat ass into his big ol' car!"

It ate at me, perhaps Air Bunny did have a point, which was part of the reason I felt like we had to do something for the poor young man, which I did vocalize, "I had a part in his demise, so he will receive Reapa's mercy."

Lead Bunny was stubborn as she was heavy, but she still saw a bit of reason. In-fact, her ability to see reason is why we were having a formalized feud in the first place. But disputes over insults and the 'stealing' of resources could be resolved another time - I was a bit more concerned about the poor young man's body. She stepped aside with a grunt, rolling her eyes, moving to fiddle with her fingers which were either dislocated or broken, "Okay, kill the mood with these formalities..."

Reapa pressed forward, her steps always silent, much like her own-self. My chosen companion barely ever spoke, but she made up for that with reliability and humanity. She eyes and a heart like my own, still able to see the tragedy of lesser beings as they died, much of the time as a result of our own conflicts. When we did grant mercies, I usually asked Reapa for some kind of detail, an emotion, a feeling, or some shred of the victim we were helping pass along - I did hesitate this time because we had both a Lead and Air Bunny giving us their own versions of a nasty glare as we called for a time-out to address the casualty, but I felt it was even more necessary to understand this one, "Reapa?" I remarked calmly, nodding ahead.

Reapa parted her dark cloak, revealing the shadowy, rippling, inky darkness that made up her form. Her form swelled forward like a pool of ink, encompassing the entirety of his twisted husk, then spread further outwards to absorb any bits and fragments of his once whole body. "He was..." Reapa began to speak, her voice drifting through the night like a ghostly chill, "... happy ..." she uttered, form retracting back, "... for the first time in... years..."

I was paying this moment the respect it deserved. Reapa saw her absorption of the departed as a sacred rite, while Air and Lead Bunny seemed to find it more of spectacle than anything. "Happy!? Do the hicks around here drive on backroads without seatbelts in the dead of night when they are happy?" Lead Bunny blurted out while Air Bunny giggled all the while.

I grimaced, holding back harsher words, and directed Reapa to explain more, "Go on, tell us more."

"He seemed to be... an aspiring author... one with doubts... one feeling small..." Reapa continued, "His name... Blain... tasted success once... and nevermore he will..."

"Author!?" Lead Bunny had a laugh at that, Air Bunny kept bouncing about, "What did the sad-bug-stain write about?" It was curious, really, Lead Bunny had seemed a bit more invested than she had been a moment before.

Air Bunny tossed in her two cents, a few screws loose as-always, "Bookie-boy! We have movies don' he know!?" she cackled and laughed, bouncing higher than the surrounding oaks before landing back down.

Reapa went on the explain a few more details, pressed a bit by Lead Bunny to use more words than she was comfortable with normally, "Blain... wrote many failed things... mostly... fantasy... but he found success in... writing his own misery..."

We all became quiet, and Air Bunny quit her bouncing. All four of us merely standing about, staring at his bloodied clothes which remained after his flesh had been absorbed. He had been miserable? I could not help but develop a bit of a bleeding heart for his death. It had come so randomly, so pitifully, so unremarkably that even two heartless of our kind were pulled into the cold clutches of silence.

"You know," Lead Bunny remarked, scratching the back of her neck, "Why don't we all go to Wafflehouse? "

Air Bunny perked right up! "Waffle! Waffle!" she said, bouncing a bit.

I glanced over to Reapa, lightly shaking my head, letting out a sigh, "Let's..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back