• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.
wigi wigi DawnStreak DawnStreak

Heyo!

One of our members had to drop. So if you're still interested then I'm happy to give you both a chance to create a CS to show me for the RP! Once I've had a chance to look them over and make sure they're a fit for the RP I can approve them!

character page and I think ooc connects to it (:

Bump for great justice!

I'm still a searching for interested partners for this RP!

EDIT: Ah, I just realized this ended, didn't it? XD mmmm hell, you gonna make another RP like this again? XD If you do, please ping me!

Don't worry about all this underneath then, but if you are willing to recreate this or another Pokemon RP with a similar ruleset, these questions are going to be asked again if they aren't answered. XD

Yoooo a more realistic take? Count me in! :D Well, if you're still open.

Though, while I would like to read through 7 OOC pages, I do have a bit of a migraine, so I have a couple questions. Okay, this turned into more than just a couple questions lmfao. I apologize if these questions were answered already in the OOC, I'll get to reading that soon, but I wanted to put this up now just to let you know I'm interested and shoot these out just in case I forget after reading the OOC. XD

I read you don't want to subscribe too much to the Pokemon's typing being too much of a determining factor in how battles work, so I'm assuming you're going to want the Pokemon's physicality be more of a factor of how much they can take despite the type matchup.
  • Would Electric-type attacks still affect Ground-Types though, along with other immunities (Fairy immune to Dragon, Ghost immune to Normal and Fighting, Normal immune to Ghost, Flying immune to Ground unless grounded)?
  • For Pokemon who can naturally float but don't have Levitate or aren't Flying-Type - since this is a more realistic take - they shouldn't be affected by terrain, entry hazards that aren't Stealth Rock, and Ground-Type moves, yeah?
  • Is the typing of the Pokemon more so on how possibly versatile they are or what possible moves they know?
  • Are you about having the Pokemon learn any attack as long as it's biologically possible (like a Snivy knowing a powder move even though it normally cannot) or is it still strictly the moves it can learn cross-generationally in the games?
  • Are you alright with me putting down biologically realistic reasons for their typing/how their attacks work and such? (Such as Jangmo-o having tough feather-scales that are still hard as a scale, but the small fibers can vibrate to create sound if smacked or vibrated in a way)
I know you didn't want to think and keep it simple. XD If it's going to cause consistency issues between others then I won't bother, but it will help me especially to get into the groove of things.

And finally:
  • Will you be controlling the wild Pokemon for us to capture, or will we?
  • Will you be controlling the trainers and gym leaders we'll be fighting?

Hoyo!

I'm doin' a lil' search for a small group, maybe only 3-4 people, including myself, for an idea about a Pokemon RP.

If you're at all interested please either send me a PM or tag me in your response to this thread here! I'm very active on the site, checking it multiple times daily, so I'll see and reply very soon!

If you have any questions about anything, please also feel free to reach out to me as I love answering questions! It's no bother! So send as many as you like my way!

So, here's the deets!

1) No "mechanics!"

By this I simply mean we won't be calculating anything. No EXP to worry about. No EV/IV's to worry about. No "accuracy" to worry about. Nothing that requires calculations of any kind or that usually relies on number crunching in the games is going to be part of this experience.

It will be a purely organic and semi-realistic adventure.

2) Semi-realism!

For the purposes of this RP it means we're suspending our disbelief regarding "type" advantages and other elements which usually fall outside of the realm of physics/reality. I mean, let's face it. Pokemon are animals. And no matter their element of attacking the fact is that biological creatures don't have inherent "weaknesses" to one thing while being resistant to others, while others have the exact opposite. That's just not how nature works. A rat is a rat is a rat. Pikachu shouldn't be anymore weak to an Earthquake that simply splits the ground beneath its feet than a human being would be. Thrown off balance? Yes. KO'd because "type advantage?" Nah.

However, for the sake of maintaining the integrity of what makes Pokemon, well... Pokemon, we'll respect type advantages and disadvantages and not worry about any "science" behind it, or trying to explain why some Pokemon like Magnemite can seemingly levitate/fly without a power source of any kind. You could try to use physics to explain how it can create opposing magnetic fields against the ground to push itself up constantly. But that's too much brain power for me.

I'm lazy. I like things simple.

So, semi-realism is the order of the day with this RP. Pokemon elements like typings and Pokemon that can float/fly without any physical or mechanical leverage or advantage are just going to be accepted as the way things are.

3) Realism!

There will be some realism at play here. Namely, human mortality and societal laws.

Let's be real. Not a single civilization on Earth would ever say it's okay for children as young as 10 years of age to go out into the world, unsupervised, with only a brand new and novice-level Pokemon at their side for protection. That's ludicrous.

For the sake of realism for society, minimum age for all characters is going to be the age of adulthood (by American standards), which is to say 18.

Also, human mortality. Pokemon attacks are dangerous. And this isn't a comedy anime for children. If you're struck by a Pokemon attack, you're gonna get hurt. If it's big enough and dangerous enough, you'll be hospitalized and/or killed.

So don't get in the way of Pokemon attacks.

Simple enough, right?

4) Limitations and Rules!

Limitations first! Cause, let's face it, we need to cover them!

Legendaries are 'Encounter Only.' Period. End of story. Nobody will be allowed to capture a Legendary under any circumstances. Not even me as the all-powerful GM!... Okay, maybe "all-powerful" is stretching it. But you get what I mean.

Reason being is because they're supposed to be "Legendary." And Legendary beings are both stupidly rare, for one, and two they are (or should be) too powerful to capture through conventional means. And no, I will not entertain any "nonconventional" methods for doing so. You don't get Legendaries. Period. We can and will get to see them at some point or another. And we might get to interact with them for a very, very brief period. But that's it.

Mythicals are 'Encounter Only.' Period. End of story, for the same reasons as the above.

Pseudo-Legendaries are 'By GM Permission Only,' as many of them can and have been abused in previous RP's I tried this idea for on this and other websites in the past. I won't allow that kind of shenaniganry to happen again. So if you want a Pseudo-Legendary like any member of the Dratini, Larvitar, Salamence, etc families, you need to get my permission. Also, in order to secure my permission, you'll need a damn good reason why you should be able to encounter/capture it. Cause ain't none of 'em gonna be Starter material.

Rules!

1)
No God-Modding, Metagaming, or Power Playing.

Our characters can have at least some knowledge of Pokemon. But that knowledge must be limited for the sake of them being able to learn and grow as both people and trainers along the journey. Any knowledge you have of the games, anime/manga, and other forms of lore must be left at the door of the RP and forgotten about for the duration of the RP until your character earns that knowledge themselves through dynamic and believable means.

2) Please respect your fellow role-players!

It seems like it should be a given. But in the Pokemon community I've seen needless arguments break out and descend into total toxic messes for no reason other than someone had a different video game experience than someone else which "legitimizes" a point that didn't need to be argued in the first place. If you ever have a problem with someone please bring it to my attention. And as GM, I will handle it. That's my job.

3) NO "Capture by Friendship!!"

This is a bullshit mechanic from the anime, and I don't care for it. Pokemon are wild animals in this RP. And even after you capture them they're not just suddenly going to be your friend and fight for you. They'll resist, disobey, and perhaps even try to harm you or escape from you if you give them half a chance. And no, I don't care if the concept of slowly gaining trust over time is a real thing. I know it is. I've spent the last several years at my job on my lunch break feeding squirrels which are now comfortable enough to sit on my lap and munch crackers with me.

I know it's a real thing with animals. It's not gonna happen in this RP.

There will be zero exceptions to this rule. Period.

4) Have fun!

Pokemon is meant to be fun. And this RP, despite me being a stickler on my rules and limitations, should be no different. I plan on making this as enjoyable an experience as I can with as much freedom as can be provided for you. So put a smile on and let's get crackin'!

With all of that said and done, let's move on to the Character Sheet and a few other bits of info for you on what I expect out of your characters!

Name: Please be as original as humanly possible, and don't make any obvious attempts to steal your favorite game/anime/manga characters' names as your own
Picture: Anime, or digital artwork in an anime/painterly style are mandatory (my character's portrait is a good example of the latter)

Age: Minimum age is 18 due to societal laws preventing children/minors from entering a dangerous, unsupervised world on their own
Height:
Weight:
Voice Example:
This is optional, but highly encouraged as it'd be nice to know what your character sounds like (And please try to get dialogue instead of songs, as one's singing voice isn't always a good representation of their speaking voice)

Starter Pokemon: Must be a traditional starter, but can be from any generation.

Personality: Please provide enough information to give us a good idea of who your character is. This can be anywhere from a few sentences to a few paragraphs. And here's a tip: If you think I'll be able to ask "Why does this matter?" with respect to any details you provide in this section, then chances are it's not ready for submission yet.

Quirks: Please give a bullet point list of at least three traits that are unique to your character. Anything from nervous ticks, favorite phrases, or other behaviors are applicable. See my sheet below for examples!

Biography: I'm going to be a bit more strict on this section than I normally am and require anyone interested to include the following in the bio: An intro to who your character's parents are, how the met, and how/why they fell in love and started a family together (do NOT be lazy and say "love at first sight," as that will instantly get your entire Character Sheet rejected). Include any major events that were instrumental to your character's early life development, and any which had a major impact on who they are today. This bio should be at least two full paragraphs in length, as there should be a lot to say about your character. If there's not much to say to the point where you have to strain yourself to fill two paragraphs, then it's probably best to find another Pokemon RP to join.

When it comes to your character's bio and their relationship with Pokemon, it's fine if your character grew up with Pokemon in the family. But as mentioned in the rules above the Character Sheet I will not accept any attempts at befriending wild Pokemon either before your journey begins, or during it. All Pokemon will have to be encountered, battled, and captured as it was always intended with the source material before the anime came along and made everything overly kid-friendly. Especially in the West with how the American dubs butchered a lot of the original Japanese dialogue and censored things as minor as a slap to the face.

Here's my character so you have an example of what to expect regarding how to put your own sheet together!

Yume Okabe

Height: 5' 4" (162.5cm)
    Weight: 115 lbs (52 kg)

Voice Example: Yume's Voice

Starter Pokemon: Charmander (Blaze)

Quirks:

* Folds her hands when in conversation
    * Always bows at the beginning and end of a conversation
    * Tilts her head when deeply engaged in a conversation
    * Prays every morning and evening
    * (Quietly) dislikes and disapproves of foul language
    * Toys with the ropes at the back of her uniform when nervous or afraid

Hello hello! It looks like you already have a handful of applications but I'm interested if you are still looking for people!

Heyyyy I was interested in this before 👁️ but too many people fell through, but if we get this going again I would love to be in it again 🥺 edit: because I see 2 people trying to join :D :D

Hi Merciless Medic Merciless Medic , 4Frogsinawig 4Frogsinawig , and FolKinPunk FolKinPunk

Unfortunately, I have no plans to restart this RP despite my inner Pokemon fan wanting to do so (and because of how much I fell in love with Yume as I fleshed out her profile).

However, if anyone wants to take the idea and make an RP of their own with identical or similar mechanics and rules I'll be happy to answer all your questions anyway!

I read you don't want to subscribe too much to the Pokemon's typing being too much of a determining factor in how battles work, so I'm assuming you're going to want the Pokemon's physicality be more of a factor of how much they can take despite the type matchup.

In short, yes. The physical nature of the Pokemon would be more of a factor in determining how battles work.

For example, if a Bulbasaur takes an Ember from a Charmander, it shouldn't be a one-hit KO like it can be in the games. Ember is a move that basically throws small little wads of fire around. And yes, it will hurt Bulbasaur and force it to put the fire out ASAP so as not to get too badly burned. But that's about it. Its typing would make it more susceptible to being burned as opposed to a Squirtle whose water typing and moist, scaly flesh wouldn't take to burning nearly as easily as Bulbasaur's plant-based typing and anatomy.

Pokemon that are neutral to Fire, like Pidgey or Rattata, don't have bodies or body parts that are more readily flammable due to both typing and skin/feather material. So they would also be able to tank more Embers than the games would suggest.

Would Electric-type attacks still affect Ground-Types though, along with other immunities (Fairy immune to Dragon, Ghost immune to Normal and Fighting, Normal immune to Ghost, Flying immune to Ground unless grounded)?

Yes, (with an asterisk) all "immunities" will still have some level of effect depending largely on the move's perceived power and the Pokemon who's using it.

A Dragonite using Thunder on a Golem, for example, will make that Golem feel the impact of the Thunder striking its body, and it might still perceive some discomfort due to the fact that it's still a living creature with a nervous system that runs on the electric signals provided by its brain. Thunder might interfere and cause some numbness or tingling in the limbs for a second or two. But that would be the limit of its effect and Golem would be in little to no danger from that move alone and be able to continue battling once it shook off that initial numbness.

If a Normal type like Raticate were battling a Gengar, but Gengar never went into its invisible/ghost mode, Raticate would still be able to strike it since it does have a physical body like any other living creature.

For Pokemon who can naturally float but don't have Levitate or aren't Flying-Type - since this is a more realistic take - they shouldn't be affected by terrain, entry hazards that aren't Stealth Rock, and Ground-Type moves, yeah?

Correct, again with an asterisk.

If they can naturally fly or float, they can avoid terrain effects or other types of moves like Stealth Rock which normally affect a Pokemon being switched into providing that they don't enter the battle on their feet. Pidgey, for instance, usually would be called from its Poke Ball and stand on the ground before taking flight, meaning it could still suffer the effect of Stealth Rock if it happened to come out of the Poke Ball on one of the spikes that was set.

Is the typing of the Pokemon more so on how possibly versatile they are or what possible moves they know?

Pokemon Typing remains the same as the games, but the effects of their techniques varies based on how they're used.

Vine Whip, for example, is a physical Grass-type move. If a Venasaur used Vine Whip on a Golem, but only did so with an up and down slapping motion, Golem might feel the attack sting pretty bad. But it wouldn't stop Golem from continuing to fight. A determined and well-trained Golem would be able to charge forward right through that kind of Vine Whip motion. However, if Venasaur used its Vine Whip to wrap Golem, pick it up off the ground, and slam it back down into the ground... Now THAT would have a much stronger effect on Golem than a simple slapping motion.

Similarly, moves that are less physical like Fire Spin would have to actually make contact with the target to have the intended effect. If Fire Spin just created a spinning fire tornado around the opponent but doesn't actually touch them then they'll get sweaty and feel the heat, but it otherwise wouldn't do much to them. They'd just be uncomfortable in the heat. The Fire Spin would have to be tightly concentrated to the point that it actually is able to reach the target instead of just spinning in circles around it if it were to do any actual damage.

Are you about having the Pokemon learn any attack as long as it's biologically possible (like a Snivy knowing a powder move even though it normally cannot) or is it still strictly the moves it can learn cross-generationally in the games?

Yes. As long as a Pokemon should biologically and anatomically be able to use a move, it will be able to use it. Bulbasaur, for example, cannot use any of these moves naturally or without a TM or Move Tutor in the games, but should both anatomically and biologically be able to learn them: Scratch, bite, headbutt, lick, double kick, etc.

I would allow Bulbasaur to learn these kinds of moves.

Are you alright with me putting down biologically realistic reasons for their typing/how their attacks work and such? (Such as Jangmo-o having tough feather-scales that are still hard as a scale, but the small fibers can vibrate to create sound if smacked or vibrated in a way)

This would likely be approved/denied on a case-by-case basis depending on my understanding of the Pokemon's type, their biology, and their anatomy.

• Will you be controlling the wild Pokemon for us to capture, or will we?
  • Will you be controlling the trainers and gym leaders we'll be fighting?

Yes and no.

I would be the point of approval if you wanted to encounter a particularly rare or exotic Pokemon, and I would also approve or deny any encounters/captures with pseudo Legendaries, Mythicals, or outright Legendaries.

But outside of that, you would be free to encounter and capture Pokemon at your leisure.

For Trainer battles, you would be allowed to do things on your own unless it was a player-owned Trainer battle with one of the other RP participants. Then, you'd have to work out the battle with them in DM's to make sure you were both satisfied and okay with the results and how the battle plays out.

For Gym Battles, yes, I would take on the role of Gym Leader and we would work out the battle in DM's before I set you loose to post what we came up with.

Hopefully that helps.

Again, my inner Pokemon fan wants to do it again, but unfortunately for me I don't have time to RP like I used to.

Good luck, and have fun peeps!

Last edited:
GojiBean GojiBean

Awwww damn, I was hoping you'd GM again. 😩

LOL, oh well, thank you so much for answering my questions! I'm sadly not available to make my own and subsequently GM anything. :'D When you got the time to do so and remake this though, ping me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back