• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Slayers - Dark Age

Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist
This RP will be for 3-5 players, a group of outcasts and misfits hunting monsters.
The system is easy enough to learn, a dice-pool system that's easy to use but has mechanical depth if you want to engage with it.
No prior experience with this game or dice games required. All skill levels welcome.
One post a week is ideal, once a month is acceptable.
No set post length - just post what you feel is necessary to move things along.

============================================

In a world of feuding nobles, corrupt bishops, and a million petty cruelties from your fellow man, one would imagine life is hard enough.
But there are things lurking in the dark places of the world, and equally terrifying are those who would fight them.

See the Vagrant. She is a woman much like any other who one night declared ‘enough is enough.’ She picked up the spear her grandfather brought back from the war, and went out to face the monster that was stealing children.
She is one of the people, and they love her for it. She is walking the path they know in their hearts to be called ‘Hero’, and they fear her in equal measure; she is like them, but she is no longer one of them. She has slain men as easily as monsters, and often, she sees no difference.

See the Inquisitor. He is a hard man, and has led a hard life. Once, he truly was a man of God, but he has trod upon Hell’s blighted soil and faced its terrible denizens; there can be no loving god in a world where these exist. He keeps in the mind the bigger picture - one village’s sacrifice can save a nation. A crime against mundane law is of no interest to him, but a convicted criminal makes a fine conscript. To the smallfolk, he is an avatar of wrath and a merciless arbiter of justice. He is merciless, but his idea of justice is something most prefer not to contemplate.

See the Monk. She is a weapon. Every moment since her childhood has honed her to a razor edge. Her blade is an extension of her body. She is a vessel for the wrath of the gods, the protector of the innocent, the doom of the unrighteous.
To the peasants, she is an enigma - her gods are strange, and make strange demands. Her dress, and speech, and ways are alien to them. She cares not for kings nor coin; only that justice be done, though the heavens may fall.

See the Bloodhunter. He knows suffering better than most. He has been beaten, and tortured, and enslaved. He has been outcast by his own; he has lost his very will to a dread creature of the night. And now he is free.
He is free, and nothing will bind him again. He will hunt down the masters of the night, and eat their still-beating hearts, and make their power his own. He will break the chains of the downtrodden and spit in the face of gods and kings.
To the people, he is a monster and a brute. They will fear him, and at best respect him, but they can never love him nor understand what he has become.

See the Alchemist. He is inheritor to an ancient bloodline of warrior-scholars. He is more than human, but by little enough. The plagues and illnesses, the poisons and rot that trouble the lives of those around him barely touch him.
He has been taken from his home, and raised among others like him, by others like him, in a tradition stretching back to a lost golden age. He has been educated, and knowledge is the weapon with which he has defeated fear.
That knowledge makes him fearsome - to the smallfolk he knows arcane secrets and magical rites, and he jealously guards that knowledge. He cannot be a normal man; they have seen him drink their best under the table when they sought to rob him. They have seen him gleefully sort through a dead monster’s corpse and take away organs.
And sometimes, he wants to take your children away to become like him.

See the Spiritseer. See her and fear her, for she dares to speak to the gods as equals, and threatens them with destruction. She walks a violent, eldritch path to power - her own power, used as she sees fit. She is cursed from birth to hear the voices of the spirits and lay her flesh upon their ephemera.
She tears out their essence and devours it, and becomes like them. Her eyes burn black and her hair is thick mane like a lion. She runs like the wind and commands the dead. Yet she is needed; when the spirits will not be swayed by sacrifice and prayer, she comes with arrogant stride and brings them to heel.
She is a hole in the Celestial Order and the heavens quake at her footfall. The people despise her and revere her. They dare not raise a spear against her; they fear her too much to welcome her home.
===================================================​

A game for up to five players; hunting the monsters that threaten common folk, uncovering secrets of lost civilizations, and being transformed by power. Please note these descriptions are archetypal - your character needn't conform perfectly to them, they're for inspiration.
The story begins in Passage, the only town on the mountain road between Kelen and Hrothgard, with intent to stop the night - a petty lord offering a handsome bounty for a creature on his land lies beyond.

You don't have to read the whole thing but there's more setting info here

ooohhh... its not like im already in a game with you.... but i do so love gritty fantasy. this seems to be set in the same world as the other, though. does that mean that the two parts would meet?

I doubt they would meet but I'm open to it.
But if you wanted to make time for this one too you could play a pure Magus!

well, i need to slam my head into the wall for a little bit, I'm trying to figure out the sheet for the first one. there are a bunch of fun ideas that i can think of for this one too. (the Inquisitor dude is giving me Inspector Javert vibes. but wait no this dude isn't obsessive enough.)

You could play one that obsessive. Those are just archetypes, after all. Suggestions.
But also you need to rest up and let me worry about your other sheet for now. Dunno if you saw my last post about it in the OOC.

Going to stop derailing myself now.

People should come and be transhuman outcasts plumbing the dark depths of history!

Okay, I thought I wasn't interested in group rps, but this one looks interesting. I'll bite 👀

I like both the Vagrant and the Spiritseer. Leaning towards the latter for now, but I could go for the former as well if someone else was super keen on the Spiritseer role.

If you're sure you're okay with a new player, I'd totally be down! I haven't played a dice game before but I've been listening to one on a podcast and it's been making me crave one for weeks now

If that's okay, then I'd totally be into the monk ^^

Hello! I assume you haven't started yet? If so, I would like to reserve a seat. I'm still reading the setting. but I would probably go for the Alchemist.

Starting will be a bit slow as everyone gets a grip on the world and character creation, and the neat thing about a Slayer group is new members can join on the road.
Don't feel like you need to read the whole thing, feel free to ask me anything, and I appreciate merciless feedback.
And I think that gives us enough players to get started. Threads soon!

Is this filled yet? The Spiritseer holds some promise and interest.

Hello again - been a while!
So far we have at least one Alchemist and Monk, a probable Vagrant or Spiritseer, and undecided.
I'm willing to allow a single Magus too, but 'band of exile Magi foment a rebellion against feudalism' is another RP for another day.

Hello again - been a while!
So far we have at least one Alchemist and Monk, a probable Vagrant or Spiritseer, and undecided.
I'm willing to allow a single Magus too, but 'band of exile Magi foment a rebellion against feudalism' is another RP for another day.
Yeah, RPN is finally deciding to work for me.

Alright. I'll wait until either is chosen then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back