• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Matthias
Matthias kept standing, though he feared that his legs might turn to jelly at any moment and so kept close something to brace against should he feel a faintness coming on. Seldom in recent memory had he felt so thoroughly spent.

"You'd think they were trying to kill us."

”They may yet be...” Matthias huffed, thinking back on their instructors’ practiced, targeted ferocity. Matthias’ chest heaved in a futile attempt to catch a wayward breath, and he scowled toothlessly, his grumpiness all but fabricated. He wondered at how the day’s events had played out for the others in their company — from the looks on their faces, he guessed that their sessions were equally productive, if not any less exhausting.

He helped himself to the fare the attendants had laid out, momentarily forgetting his manners as he inhaled a few morsels in a vain attempt to fill the gnawing pit in his stomach. Once he’d satisfied the ache in his belly he returned to the others and found a place to set himself down.

”What do you suppose they have in store for us next..?” He asked through sucking breaths, eyeing suspiciously the clutch of instructors conspiratorially conversing off to one side.

Marylka arched a quizzical brow but made no comments about Serik's evasive answer. She understood better than most the need for space to process one's thoughts and emotions. Even if it wasn't space he needed, the fact that he did not want to share meant that it probably wasn't intended for her ears and that was okay.

"More than contented actually. I've always felt a bit like a black sheep back home. Never being able to live up to my parent's expectations, or my own for that matter. I love Estendor and I always will but it was... stifling." Marylka leaned closer to Serik, almost conspiratorially, eyes bright. "But here, in To'Bai, in the Academy, the opportunities feel endless. I've learned more in the last two day than I have my entire life and that's just the tip of the iceberg."

"I was a little worried I might have made a terrible choice at the proving ceremony and I'll admit it was a selfish choice. There are still many consequences I need to deal with but at least I know with full certainty now it was the right one."

AncientBird AncientBird

Serik glanced at Marylka. Earlier, being this close to her would have sent his heart racing in no time... But it seemed exhaustion, stress and disappointment won him over in this occasion.

"That is... Very good, I am happy you finally get the hang of this new setting." Said Serik, pushing out a smile that seemed to be very tiring for him to do so. Serik knew he shouldn't ruin it when Marylka was obviously very content of her situation. However, something within him ached, like a rat gnawing at him from the inside... He wasn't suppose to feel this way... He should had been happy for his friend.

Was he jealous? Jealous that Marylka seemed to got what she wants while he failed? Or was it her expression of joy that unknowingly teased Serik of his yet to come luck? Or was it that he somehow couldn't bear to hear that she likes her decision of switching clan when he was at such vulnerable state?...

Serik forced the last bite of his meal in his mouth, almost swallowed them whole like a pike gulping down duck and stood up. "I... Errr... I have got something to discuss with Keshka about my lesson... Please excuse me." Said the young man as he turned away from the girl and immediately walked out of there. Heading back to the class near the river.

In the stable, Valkyrie paced back and forth, sensing Serik's frustration that she couldn't understand. She let out a loud screech, scarring a stable hand who was taking his break, making him fell off a barrel he was sitting on. The stork drake then vented her temper on a rack of cattle ribs she was given earlier.

Featuring: Saturn_moon Saturn_moon

Kari laughed at the big Northarian's wry comment, but she took his next question seriously.
"Well, they're pushing us so hard because they want us to be ready to go look for Danubey. I'll be honest, I don't feel ready...but we've handled ourselves pretty well so far, and I don't know about you guys, but whenever I train...I almost remember the stuff I knew before, like, if I didn't think, I could keep pace with Candour, it was wild! Did anyone else feel that?"

She caught the tail end of Marylka's conversation with Serik, and watched him walk away.
"What's eating him?" She asked curiously.

Elenion Aura Elenion Aura Saturn_moon Saturn_moon kase9187 kase9187 AncientBird AncientBird Naberius Naberius Lioness075 Lioness075 explosiveKitten explosiveKitten

*~*~*

"Beautiful isn't it?" Targus closed the glass door behind her as she came into the greenhouse. She stepped up to Emma, her tree-trunk arms clasped behind her back, she circled only once, considering the girl, then she held out a fist and opened her palm to produce a tiny seed.
She nodded to the empty soil in the greenhouse's center.
"Care to try growing something?"
AquaMarie AquaMarie

*~*~*

A deep, black shape moved past Serik and his skybeast. Storm had come down from her stable perch and was stalking across the grass, a deep rumble in her chest.
Keshka held out her hands and the black dragon pressed her scaly head into them happily.
"Something on your mind boy?" Keshka asked him, staying focused on her dragon, who had now rested her massive head on the light mage's shoulder.
AncientBird AncientBird

((Ok, after this round I am time skipping to our trek into the desert, I need to write for fewer characters))

Aldaf tilted his head at Kari's statements about matching with Candour, and he made a face. "I really didn't feel like I was matching skills with Ord at all... Marylka did better at me with basic traversal over water anyhow. Maybe it just hasn't clicked for me yet, but I just seem good enough to throw myself or things around."

He looked towards Serik and saw him leaving, feeling something was off. Was something bothering him...?

"Honestly, I don't know if we'll ever be truly ready. These things have been getting smarter and we're just now relearning what we lost in the year we all can't remember. These things seem one step ahead of us. We just have to make do."

SilverFlight SilverFlight Elenion Aura Elenion Aura Saturn_moon Saturn_moon Naberius Naberius Lioness075 Lioness075 explosiveKitten explosiveKitten AncientBird AncientBird

Katja’s eyes went big and wide when presented with the greenhouse. Ohhh, how she missed the smell of the plants. Stepping in, feeling the humidity, the cloying smell of flowers and medicinal plants filling her nostrils and reminding her of the time she spent in Sudenta learning her craft.... oh, how those times seem to be so far away now. The time she had spent with her teacher, learning the different plants and their uses, how to apply them, how much to apply. All things that were very vital to saving people’s lives.

While she wandered the greenhouse, her mind, too, wandered from place to place. This had been a whole crazy journey huh? The gods worked in mysterious ways, picking up a bunch of unproven kids, erasing their memories of a year of their lives and then forcing them to the proving. Hm. Questionable logic, if she really thought about it. But who was she to judge the gods? They knew better than her in most cases. Or all. But maybe that was just the lack-of self confidence talking.

She passed by a bundle of large palm leaves and stopped to sniff a flower that grew from a vines, when she accidentally parted the vines and came upon a rather sad sight.

A small creature. A bundle of fur laying on the ground, laying there breathing fast and staring at the source of the light weakly.
It scrambled and tried to get up, but something was clearly wrong, given the awkward, uncoordinated scrambling of it’s back legs. It only took Katja a moment to see what happened here. Oh no… it has a spinal injury. Possibly was crawling around in the leaves over her head and fell too hard. What a horrible fate. Katja watched it scramble for a moment before she picked it up and held it in her hands. Guessing from the look of it, it was probably a ferret, or a stoat of some sort. There were plenty of those back in Northaria. But this one… he wasn’t looking too hot. His injury would make it so he wouldn’t be able to walk, and… well… he wouldn’t last. But she couldn’t think about that. She couldn’t give up. If she gave up then she wouldn’t be able to help anyone else. The creature flopped around limply in her hands, his little beady eyes blinking at her in confusion.

“Oh, you poor thing… I can’t believe this happened… But don’t worry. I’ll take care of you. For as long as I can.”

Right then, she gave a small smile to the creature, and then she felt... something. A... surge, perhaps, of power that flowed up her spine, through her tissues up her arms and all the way to her fingertips. The energy surged into the small creature, causing it to squeak and squirm some more. Katja blinked as almost instinctually she moved to holds the creature’s back end up, and she trailed a hand down its back, pinching along its spine on autopilot as eventually she found the source of the problem… just as the bones realigned and meshed back together exactly as they were supposed to be. Then the skin started to knit back together, and the fur grew back. And the little creature got more energy and started to squirm.

The young woman blinked. And the power was gone, leaving behind a fully revitalized ferret squirming in her hands a

".... what just happened."

SilverFlight SilverFlight

Mustela_nigripes_2.jpg

Last edited:
Emmaline was enjoying every minute she was getting to explore the greenhouse. Just the sheer number of flowers she had seen within the greenhouse was outstanding. She never in her dreams would have imagined this many variations of flowers existed. Emma looked back at Targus and nodded as she wore a huge smile on her face. "This place is amazing!" She said, spinning around and lifting her hands up in the air, showing her excitement. "Yes and of course beautiful, this is nothing like what I'm used to seeing back home….and all the plants, fruits and oh! The flowers!" Her eyes went wide with amazement as she talked about them to Targus "I never seen all those pretty colors and shapes before….I mean wildflowers in Estendor are beautiful, but...I just never imagined all these excited…" she said with full honest amazement.

Emma looked at Targus, tilting her head to the side wondering why she had circled around her. She looked from Targus to her fist that she held out to her. Looking up at her in confusion as Targus opened her hand to show her a seed. "A seed?...oh plant it?...um…?.sure! Why not" confused but she smiled taking the seed. "But it won't really grow for a while…" she said looking down at the seed in her hand. "Now where would be a good spot to plant you?..." she said looking down at the seed talking to it. Emma looked over to the empty soil plot within the greenhouse's center that Targus nodded to.

Emma made her way towards the greenhouse center and kneeled down on the ground. "...I really don't know what you are but you will have great sun here, the ground is nice and wet…you will be happy here..." Emma gently spoke to the seed in her hand. Using her other hand to dig a little hole for the seed. She dropped the seed into the tiny hole and covered it with the soil. She gently patted the soil that covered the seed, feeling a small tingling sensation. She lifted her hand off the soil and looked at it. Placing her hand back on the ground a tiny sprout pop up from the spot that she had planted the seed. "What?...but?...how?....huh?" She whispered to herself as she stared at the tiny sprout. Emma placed both of her hands on the ground as she leaned down to stare at the tiny sprout. As she did she felt a surge and weird sensation through her body.

With a single blink of her eyes, a patch of blue delphiniums popped up out of the ground. Emma let out a yelp, getting startled as she pushed herself back, causing her to fall onto her back. She quickly sat up not believing her eyes the little patch of flowers that stood in front of her. "How is that possible?..." she said as she just stared at her favorite wildflowers that had grown in front of her.

SilverFlight SilverFlight

Targus beamed as the girls explored the greenhouse. She watched them with enthusiasm, keeping an eye on both as much as she could.
She was happy to let them explore on their own, not wanting to interfere with their experience. Katja was first. Targus caught the little pink burst from the dying bloom.
"OOOOH look at you! I hoped you'd have this one!" She gave Katja a congratulatory pat on the back (with the strength of a bear).
"I can't wait to start training you!"

When Emmaline manifested her powers too Targus was over the moon.
"Two! TWO! Haha! We are going to have so much FUN!"

Only after her celebration did Targus think to clarify their confusion.
"You two just displayed the last new magical ability. I've been calling it Herbimancy. The ability to control plant life...Oh hahaha! You are going to be naturals! I just know it!"

*~*~*

The days went by quickly. Candour had made sure they recieved as much training from their mentors as they could take, both in their traditional elements, as well as the new ones they had tested for. Kari was learning so much she thought her head might burst, but even more surprising was her apparent ability to master what they were teaching. It really was as if her body knew precisely what to do. How to summon the magic and perform the tasks that were asked of her. They had far from mastered their abilities, but they had also far surpassed the "beginners" that had joined them on the first day.
The oddest feeling of them all, was that Kari felt like she was becoming more of herself with every lesson, and the academy was becoming more and more familiar. Now and again she would glance at a hallway, or a classroom or the garden and a memory would pop up that she could not place. Faces that she didn't know. Faces from a different time.

It was evening when Keshka called them to the stable to saddle up. Ord was already there, with Rhyne and Targus. All the teachers looked serious. Even Targus had put away her broad smile. They were all dressed in leather armour, and sets had been made for the youths too. Well-fitting and sure to protect against claws and teeth...but armour only went so far.

Zephyr trilled happily when she brought out the saddle. Through there bond she had communicated something of what they needed to do, and she could feel the tension mixed with his excitement. Battle. He knew what that meant now. His confidence reassured her, and she scratched him behind his feathered ear.

She met the eyes of the others when they began to appear. They were in this together, was what her glance said.

"We are going to try..." Ord began. "To scout the area and get in low before we're spotted by any deathborn. Now that they can't track you, they'll be just as blind to us as we are to them, and we may be able to get to Danube before they get to us."

Keshka added to his words: "I will stay in the sky, track your progress, I will cast shadows on the ground to signal you to anything I see. Hopefully, with Storm's good nighttime eyesight, we can steer you away from direct danger."

kase9187 kase9187 Saturn_moon Saturn_moon explosiveKitten explosiveKitten AquaMarie AquaMarie Elenion Aura Elenion Aura Lioness075 Lioness075 AncientBird AncientBird Naberius Naberius

Aldaf got his saddle ready as Keshka told them of the coming plan. Strapping the leather armor to himself, Spica walked out of the stable and nuzzled his chest.

"Hey, it's alright, Spica. I'll be okay."

Spica let out a worried growl as she looked out into the sky. She was definitely sharing the teacher's reservations about the mission.

Aldaf nodded as Ord and Keshka explained the plan, making sure to look at his team. They'd been training for this... He knew they were ready. But a small sliver of doubt creeped into his mind. He knew he could trust them to look out for him... right?

"Is there anything specific you want us to do on the way there? And what about once we get inside, what will be the strategy then? And..." He looked to the rest of his team and Spica. "... What if we get spotted?"

SilverFlight SilverFlight Saturn_moon Saturn_moon explosiveKitten explosiveKitten AquaMarie AquaMarie Elenion Aura Elenion Aura Lioness075 Lioness075 AncientBird AncientBird Naberius Naberius

The day was here. Caliban glanced around at the assembled group, his usual cheerful and optimistic demeanor a bit more subdued in light of the circumstances and the peril they'd be facing here. Though they'd each come a long way since they began their training anew, drastically so if he was being honest, he wasn't entirely convinced they could handle this yet.

Taking his place by steadfast Nerene as he readied her saddle, the large beast pushed her face in front of his and just stared, easily able to sense his emotional state. Her presence a calm and steady reminder of what they'd already been through, and of the fact that none of them were alone anymore. She bumped her snout into his chest, almost lifting him several inches off the ground in an affectionate gesture, Caliban himself smiling and letting out a small laugh as he scratched around her neck and chin.

"Alright, alright I get it. Thanks, girl."

They'd already been through hell before, this was nothing new. And now he had real power, the magics he'd worked so hard to try and hone in the short time they'd been here. He had friends, he had Lea. He had Katja. People he could rely on. And he gave his sister and their healer each a warm smile and a nod as he took his place to listen to the briefing before they would take to the skies once more.

"I can't do it!" Marylka cried as she stood calf-deep in the lake, trousers rolled up to her knees, staring out at the expanse of water before her. Her hands started to grow clammy and she clenched them into fists to stop them from trembling. Some ways behind, a man watched the girl with his hands clasped behind his back, looking like a picture of calm and poise.

"Can't or won't?" The man called back.

Marylka swerved around and stared at her grandfather, momentarily taken aback. Then she furrowed her brows and turned up her nose. "I can't." she responded with a stubborn huff. Her grandfather quirked a brow, a glint of amusement barely visible in his eyes. Slowly, he waded into the waters then got down onto one knee so he was at the same level as she. Even though she was already seven, she barely came up to his waist. Marylka dropped her head in embarrassment, fixing her eyes instead on the little fishes darting around them in the water.

"Not being able to do something is not the same as thinking you cannot do it because you are afraid." He said sternly. "How you handle fear will determine where you go for the rest of your life. To experience adventure is to not be limited by the fear of it." With a finger, he gently lifted her chin up so he could see her face once more. Her mouth was pressed into a thin line and her nose all scrunched up. It was the face she made whenever she was trying not to cry. "Do you understand what I'm trying to say, Marylka?"

The girl nodded hesitantly then threw her arms around his neck eliciting a warm chuckle from him. "I'm sorry." She mumbled into his shoulder. "I'm ready to try again now."

Her grandfather smiled and pressed a kiss to the top of her head. "Good girl."

Standing outside the stables, Marylka methodically worked through putting on her leather armor, ensuring every strap was properly fastened. Internally, the girl tried to still her racing heart with deep breaths and facts. Every moment of the last few days had been filled with training, planning, and more training. They were as prepared as they were ever going to be, which probably still wasn't enough. Archie, oblivious to most things as he usually was, shuffled excitedly about next to her while attempting to catch a leaf in his beak. As she finished with her armor, she looked at her hippogriff and shook her head. "Silly goose." She reached up and gave him a scritch under his beak causing his neck feathers to fluff up.

"I should be able to create a cloud cover for us to hide behind as we approach the caves. I did it before back at the island we stopped at on the way to Westeros." She chimed in when Aldaf asked his question. "I won't object to a little wind magic help though."

AncientBird AncientBird AquaMarie AquaMarie Elenion Aura Elenion Aura explosiveKitten explosiveKitten kase9187 kase9187 Lioness075 Lioness075 Naberius Naberius SilverFlight SilverFlight

Last edited:
Leandra LaFrae.jpg
Name: Leandra LaFraeNicknames: Lea, Firefly
Clan: SudentaClan Job: Huntress
Equipment: Knapsack, Medicinal Pouch, Bow, Quiver (0/10), Twin Daggers
Westeros Outfit.jpg
She's wearing the first, green one.

It continued to amaze Leandra just how much she could learn in such a short span of time. While she was no expert with her magic just yet, she had far better control than she had expected this early on. Most of the earth magic she implemented tended to be more reactionary than intended, but one step at a time.

In addition to continuing to master her newfound magic, Leandra had been spending countless hours in the workshop, unconsciously secluding herself from most of the group. She became motivated to sort out the many blueprints she had found for her own inventions. She had even managed to complete a few of the simpler ones, which meant she now had some rather unique arrows to utilize in the upcoming fight. Leandra knew there was no way of avoiding a fight with the upcoming search for Danube. She could only hope these few days had been enough for the others to maybe feel more prepared than she herself felt.

In between her attempts to master her magic and complete inventions, Leandra had started to get feelings of deja vu just about anywhere she went. She kept pausing randomly in hallways or outside on paths, getting the feeling like she was constantly forgetting something, but never recalling what it was. It had started to bother her so much that she had been just as happy to coop herself up in the workshop. She had plenty of those feelings there, though, so it was only really an escape for her to focus on something else.
Handling the tools in the workshop and just hearing the noises of others working around her, Leandra was starting to feel as if she were in a home away from home. It was a foreign concept to her, but she welcomed it. In due time, Leandra befriended a few of the younger students in the workshop and was pleasantly surprised when a few were enthralled by her blueprints and designs. As she grew increasingly excited to return to the workshop, Leandra did not entirely realize that she had slipped further away from her original group at the same time.

When it finally came time for them to prepare to find Danube, Leandra found herself standing in the stables with Falarion's saddle in her arms and a slightly startled expression on her face. She felt like she had not seen her friends in weeks, despite it only being a few days.
Shaking her head to clear her muddle thoughts, Leandra approached Falarion, who had just been finishing off his breakfast with a hefty gulp. He purred at the sight of Leandra approaching him and gently bumped his head against her shoulder, making her grin.
"Hey, buddy. Ready for another adventure?"

Falarion leaned backwards to stretch out his back and then stood beside Leandra with a huff. She snorted at his antics and then put his saddle on. While Falarion shuffled about, getting comfortable in his saddle now, Leandra moved to her own gear stacked on a barrel nearby. She quickly began putting her armor on, adjusting the straps and securing each piece as she went from her shins up to her shoulders. Her armor was simple, mostly flexible but hard leather to protect her and allow movement. Once she was done with her armor, Leandra secured her dagger hilts on either side of her hips before putting on her knapsack and slinging her quiver, which now sported a top that she could fasten shut to keep the arrows secured, along with her bow on top of it.

Walking outside alongside Falarion, Leandra paused with the group to listen to the teachers speak to them. It seemed like a fairly straightforward plan, but she knew that stealth was not ideal in such a large group. Questions were asked, as they always were, and Leandra's mind began to race before she caught sight of Cal giving her a reassuring smile. Leandra returned it and tried to ease the swelling anxiety within herself.
Falarion huffed and then rubbed his head against Leandra's side again, an attempt to soothe her worries.
Grinning at Falarion's affection, Leandra rubbed his head and then scratched behind one of his ears while whispering to him, "Thank you, Fal."

Marylka made a good suggestion and Leandra nodded at it, silently agreeing to it. At the thought of getting Danube out, Leandra shrugged and said, "I suppose whoever is closest to him with a mount that has room can take him. I don't think it necessarily matters who does it, so long as their mount can handle the additional weight."

Glancing around the group, Leandra warily wondered how much progress everyone else had made in these past few days. She felt so disconnected after her own self-induced isolation. She had visited Falarion in the stables quite a bit in-between her own lessons, but had otherwise kept to herself. She had spent that one evening training with Marylka, but even that felt like ages ago now.

Matthias

Matthias nodded. ”I have felt that too.” It was a strange sensation, feeling as though his body knew more than his mind. Tantalizing phantom memories faded in and out of focus. Even so, it was all for the better… All the preparation would surely be put to good use in the battles to come.

Matthias looked over the leather armor. It appeared to be of high quality, and light enough to not get in the way... He wondered how they had gotten his measurements? Perhaps someone had noted them down during his one year absence of consciousness. Putting those idle thoughts aside, Matthias focused on listening in as the group discussed their strategy. This was a rescue mission, and so he was glad to hear that most of the concern was focused on how to get in, and back out, without drawing in undue attention, or being drawn into unnecessary confrontations for the sake of glory. And yet he could not help but wonder...
"... and we may be able to get to Danube before they get to us."
”If he still lives.” Matthias interjected gruffly. Despite his words, the Northarian was not trying to be cruel or dour; he merely thought it better to expect the worst... In his mind, the chances of survival could not be very high... Volos nudged him, and through their bond he felt that the great bear was trying to tell him to take heart. Have faith, it seemed like he said.

Since the day Serik had a conversation with Keshka about his power and learning about the true strength of light magic, the boy had taken his instructor's word and prepared himself. He no longer tried to push himself to be powerful, instead taking time and becoming more comfortable with what he had already known... It didn't matter if he only knew to create illusions... He would just roll with them and wield them to good use against his enemy…

Serik regularly visited Targus’s workshop after being introduced to it. (he was in awe with how many tools and materials he could find in just a single room.) He carved stones into arrowheads as many as he could. He also experimented with metal work, and to Aldaf’s recommendation, trying on the fallen quills of the quilled wyvern Spica which he picked up from the stable floor. (for some reason, he had been finding many of them scattering nearby Valkyrie’s stall…)

Another thing Serik had been doing on a regular basis was to visit and bonding with the alicorn Angus. Since the rough first impression with Valkyrie, Serik and Emmaline had come up with the plan to make both skybeasts more comfortable around each other. With Serik’s presence becoming a positive sight, Angus may not perceive Valkyrie as a threat any longer and in turn, left the stork drake alone. So far, Serik could take Valkyrie to groom in front of Angus’s stall without causing any problem.

And finally, it arrived… The day the youths would have to take on the rescue mission.

Serik came to the stable with the others. He brought along with him a bow, the one he eyed at Raina’s weapon smith shop during the very first day he arrived in To’bai, the beautiful bow he didn’t have enough savings to buy… Miraculously, an anonymous person had bought it and sent it to him. Without any clues, Serik had still not known who this person was… Something that still pained him as he couldn’t thank this unknown saint in person. His quiver was full with arrows he crafted and the panther head Westerosian dagger tightly packed tucked at his waist.

Serik received the leather armor and headed for his skybeast. Valkyrie was standing in front of her stall, seemingly knowing what would happen. “It’s time, Val…” Said the boy as he touched and patted the stork drake on her beak. He then ushered the beast out of the stable, joining with his friends.

Serik had become more confident about the entire situation, however he had yet fully shed his concern about what could happen to him, to Valkyrie… To all of his friends and teachers. He thought about his family, and wondered how they would react if they were to know that he had such a task to do… He thought about Shrill, his buzzard who Serik left at the raptor room, possibly fallen asleep by now… If anything happened to Serik, Shrill would at least have someone to care for him here, not having to roam the street and feeding on scrap of meat at the butcher anymore.

Valkyrie seemed to behave pretty well so far. She ignored other skybeasts and people and put her concentration to Serik most of the time. She still gave Angus a wary look sometimes but no longer wanted to bolt away from the alicorn. Serik could also swear that he saw Valkyrie looking oddly at Spica every now and then as well.

The others were discussing their plan as Serik joined in. The main concern was mostly on Danube and how to save him. “I sure hope he’s still alive… Nobody deserves to die alone in the unknown world like that. He could also have found a lot of information we need to know about the deathborns.” Said Serik to Matthias who noted that Danube might not actually be alive by now.

Featuring: SilverFlight SilverFlight kase9187 kase9187 Lioness075 Lioness075 Naberius Naberius pinnasina AquaMarie AquaMarie Elenion Aura Elenion Aura Saturn_moon Saturn_moon YumenoTsukishiro YumenoTsukishiro explosiveKitten explosiveKitten

Last edited:
Ord tried not to look too upset at Mathias' very realistic suggestion.
"I wish you remembered Danube. He is...a lot. I find it very hard to believe he would go down so easily."
Serik spoke and Ord added: "He's not alone, he has his skybeast too, and Danube would not let that monster die before he did."

He nodded as Aldaf listen his questions. "There's not much to do getting there but keep a low profile and out eyes peeled. Once we get there we will stick together, I'll take point, Targus will take the rear. If we're spotted, well, the other teachers and I will determine if the risk is too great, and whether we should withdraw."

"Those deathborn will not know what hit them." Targus slammed a fist into the palm of her hand for emphasis.
Ord made a face, but when Marylka spoke he seemed very pleased. "That would be a great idea. I don't think the deathborn are smart enough to be suspicious of a cloud in the desert."

"Hey could you help me do up this last clip?" Kari stopped by Marylka, not quite being able to reach the catch on the back of her shoulder. There was a bit of a lip on her armour to keep her scarf from blowing away. Zephyr bounded beside her, shouldering Archie playfully and snapping at his ears.

Rhyne walked out into the courtyard, a magnificent white alicorn at his heels, and Targus wrestled playfully with her winged tiger.
"Ready when you are Ord." Rhyne said softly.

Keshka sprung into Storm's saddle and they leapt skyward, flying up to circle lazily about the school.

Saturn_moon Saturn_moon kase9187 kase9187 AncientBird AncientBird Elenion Aura Elenion Aura Naberius Naberius Lioness075 Lioness075 explosiveKitten explosiveKitten AquaMarie AquaMarie

Katja had been nervously standing off to the side, one hand on Barran’s saddle as the Snowy Owl stood in the hot sun and sweltered.

Katja has spent the past days with Rhyne, learning the healing magic with Katja’s helpful assistant, the newly named Ham the Black Footed Ferret, whom was always perched on Katja’s shoulders or in her pockets, just a chill dude hanging out. He was honestly a very calming factor for the young woman, almost as calming as… somebody else that Katja will not admit to thinking about right now.

She listened idly to the others as they discussed the next course of action, and while she was zoning out her eyes turned towards the sibling duo of Lea and Caliban. She nodded at Leandra, and then felt her heart SEIZE when Caliban threw a warm smile in her direction. HOOOOOOOOH GODS, WHY IS HE SO CUTE?? AaHhhhHhHh!

She didn’t get a chance to react before everyone mounted onto their skybeasts, which caused her to hastily grab onto the saddlehorn of Barran’s saddle and pull herself up, an incredible feat compared to several weeks ago.

The large owl looked at the young woman, blinked, before unfolding her powerful wings and taking off into the air, eager to get up and away from the sweltering sand and stone.

“Let’s just try to not go diving headfirst into any Deathborn’s ribcages, yes? I would prefer no near-death experiences.”

SilverFlight SilverFlight Naberius Naberius kase9187 kase9187 Elenion Aura Elenion Aura Saturn_moon Saturn_moon Lioness075 Lioness075 AncientBird AncientBird AquaMarie AquaMarie

Last edited:
Serik climbed on Valkyrie's back and settled himself on the saddle. The stork drake looked up into the darkening sky as evening about to made way for dusk. She seemed confused and unsure about the this gathering and Serik knew why. "Come on, I know you don't like flying at night, but we need darkness to conceal ourselves. it will be fine, Val." Serik consoled the beast, patting the stork drake on her neck. Valkyrie glared back at Serik, blinking a few time. She then hunkered down and in a moment, launched herself and her rider into the air, large wings spread open and flapped to gain altitude, joining those that were already in the air.

Serik noticed Keshkar soaring high above with her dragon Storm. The boy looked at his teacher silently for a while then ushered Valkyrie to head for her direction. Serik soon caught up and flew right beside the Light magic teacher. "Keshkar!" Serik called. "...Teacher... Thank you for putting up with me for the past few days... I don't know what is waiting for us out there but I have prepared myself and I will make use of what you have taught me if the situation calls..." Said the young man to his instructor.

Valkyrie eyed the black dragon cautiously... But since Storm hadn't actually posed any real threat to her, the stork drake wasn't too stressed out approaching the black dragon.

Featuring: SilverFlight SilverFlight kase9187 kase9187 Lioness075 Lioness075 Naberius Naberius AquaMarie AquaMarie Elenion Aura Elenion Aura Saturn_moon Saturn_moon explosiveKitten explosiveKitten

Faris Demetrius

cabe1d46f6426db02468746a2a6ab6da.jpg

If all else fails, retreat​

When the roar fell, the word instinctively left his tongue.

"Koray."

Selene was more quick-witted. It turned and ran. The winged panther growled in dissatisfaction. Faris, flustured, held on tight to the saddle while recognizing his mistake. His first reaction should be to use magic to disengage. Calling Selene to the amulet hurt her pride as a skybeast and called her fighting capability into question. Also, he forgot to hold the amulet when he uttered the keyword. No wonder it didn't work.

Besides, with how weak he was at the moment, what was he planning if Selene really disappeared? Die?

Heinous roars chased after the man and skybeast pair across the dunes. Faris made no attempt to fight. He cast a gust of wind to spiral behind him, conjuring a sandstorm to obstruct their chaser. Wind blew, sending sand to air and the loose robe on Faris to flutter. Selene made a sharp turn following the storm and took to the sky. If they could sidetrack the deathborn for several seconds, they could be at peace.

Unfortunately, their luck was against them that night. Perhaps he had not conjured a storm large enough, but when Faris looked back, he could see winged skeletal figures chasing after him stubbornly.

Faris had a bitter smile. His control over geomancy was truly lacking. If not, he wouldn't be in such a pathetic state right now.

Selene continued cruising ahead in silence, slowly putting distance between them and the deathborn, but Faris knew they were at a disadvantage. From the fragment of memories he had, these beings did not tire. To'Bai was a fair distance away. He needed to formulate a plan now. Fighting was an option, but one he hesitated to take. He was not confident in winning unschathed with how drained he was. Wind magic was unsuitable as an offensive option. The meteor hammer was meant to restrain rather than to damage. As for the unstrung bow on his back?

Hehehe... he couldn't even hit a stationary target on the ground without some magical help. Shooting an arrow at a moving target while riding a skybeast? If his sister heard about it she would die from laughter. He only brought the bow so he had a cover to go to the desert: practising.

"Selene, false dive." There was no other way. He had to lose the deathborn here, in the vast plain of the desert. That was the most stable option. Faris clenched his fists. His life and Selene were not the only one at stake. He had to survive.

A roar from behind. Selene dived to the ground and Faris focused his intent on a dune. Moment before they crashed, Selene swept back to the sky and Faris released another spell. Sand exploded to the air like a pillar, assaulting the deathborn chasing them. A success, but on Selene, Faris felt sweat drenching his back and his arms trembling on the saddle. He hoped that was enough.

Last edited:
Emmaline just stared at the little patch of blue delphiniums that had popped up out of the ground. "I...I...d..did that?...." She said in utter shock and a bit of confusion as she stared at her hands, then back towards the patch of wildflowers. "I have abilities…." She softly whispers, holding her hands to her chest still hard to believe what had just happened. Her attention went over to Targus, the woman had startled her as she started to yell in excitment. She watched as Targus happily jumped up and down, she really was happy that she had abilities. Emmaline's confusion was soon cleared when Targus explained that she had the last new magical ability that was called Herbimancy. Emma was a bit scared and nervous to know she could do this, however she was excited about learning what she could do with this newfound ability. She was excited to learn everything she could.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Days and days passed and Emmaline got to learn so much about her newfound abilities. Spending most of her time with Targus learning how to use her Herbimancy abilities. Emma would end the day exhausted and fall asleep in a blink of an eye but she was always excited to learn something new the next day. And every day she felt like this school was more familiar and she just felt less lost in this whole place around them. However, that feeling did not last long as the day came that they had to leave.

Emma made her way to the stables that evening with everyone else. She walked over to Angus who happily greeted her with a loving nuzzle with his large head that Emma had to brace herself as he did. She gently patted the ridge of her alicorn's nose as Keshka told them of the coming plan.

Emma took the leather armor that was made for herself and stared at it feeling extremely nervous that she wanted to throw up. She looked over to the others as they got ready themselves and their mounts. She let out a tiny breath trying to calm herself as she felt the large cold snout of Angus pressed her cheek. The loving action started her a bit as she was preoccupied with her thoughts, but she turned to the large equine and smiled at him. She kissed the bridge of his nose before gently petting the side of his head "Thanks big guy... I'm fine just a little nervous" she quietly whispered to him.

Emma however smiled at the large male alicorn. She was quite proud of him; he had taken a huge step in being more accepting of Valkyrie. She had been meeting up with Serik whenever they could and worked with both skybeasts in becoming more tolerable and comfortable with each other. Sure Angus was still protective of Emma but he no longer perceived Valkyrie as a threat. Allowing Serik to stand Valkyrie next to him and even groom the stork drake in front of him without any longer causing a problem.

Setting her quiver full of arrows on her back, bow strapped, and belt pouches filled with snacks Emma was ready. She let out a sigh and worked up her courage. Patting Angus on the side he kneeled down to make it easier for her to climb on. Climbing onto the saddle she was ready as she gave Angus a signal and he took off to the sky with the others.

Tags: SilverFlight SilverFlight Saturn_moon Saturn_moon Lioness075 Lioness075 explosiveKitten explosiveKitten YumenoTsukishiro YumenoTsukishiro kase9187 kase9187 Elenion Aura Elenion Aura Naberius Naberius AncientBird AncientBird

Last edited:
Matthias

Matthias concurred with the others. It was a serviceable enough plan. He only hoped it would not all be for naught. Absently, Matthias adjusted the leather sash that held Raina’s gift, strapped across his shoulder and covered in hide wrappings. The sheer weight and size of it would take some getting used to, though Matthias knew he would undoubtedly be glad to have it before this sojourn was over. Despite all their precautions, run-ins with the Deathborn were all but guaranteed.

Matthias suddenly sensed through their bond that Volos wished to join the others in the air. He looked at the great bear, whose snout pointed skyward, gazing at the stars.

”Very well. Let us be off.”

Matthias said, before mounting up and holding on tight as Volos spread his massive wings and took to the skies. Slowly they rose ever higher to join the others overhead. The night sky unfurled around them, and the two took in its majesty together.

”I wonder if this is wise..?” Matthias asked of the night. Doubt ever lurked in the corners of his mind. Some small, lingering part of him still wished he had never come along, that he’d taken leave of his company and gone North. Gone home. His gaze shifted, seeking the familiar stars that ever glittered above those frozen hills and warm hearths. Home.

Volos shook his back out and Matthias instantly thought nothing but, hang on. The dark thoughts were chased away, quickly replaced by fresh ones sent traveling across their bond. You will be the death of me. He thought sullenly, all the while secretly happy for the creature’s company, his thoughts nudging genially against the cold walls of his mind. Volos huffed cheerily as his wings bore them in wide, lazy circles.

Last edited:
"Good luck archer. You'll need it."

Keshka's words echoed along with her footsteps, leaving behind a person very much different than who he was a few days past. Has it only been days? It felt like weeks, months. Even years. In many ways, he dreaded the day of the mission to rescue Danube. It meant having his walls tested, possibly laid under siege by concerned eyes and pitying words. It meant seeing the friends (if he could still call them that) he'd long shunned for their own good. It meant being with her, the firebrand with the infectious smile, whose bravery and brashness showed Gerel a certain kind of freedom he didn't know he needed.

A freedom he suddenly and violently craved.

But did he deserve such a thing still? After all this time, going out of his way to avoid her in the hallways, in the pantry, in classes; even in the dorms, when he'd return after his private lessons well into the night, when everbody had already fallen asleep. Surely she'd be angry. She had every right to be. Maybe she wouldn't want anything to do with him, and he'd completely understand. And yet he wore the half-finished tunic she made him-- as a scarf, sure, but the patterns were unmistakably hers. It brought him respite from that tiny voice buzzing in his head, promising more power to save his friends, save his family, save the world.

If only he would give in.

No. He clutched his improvised scarf a little tighter and made his way into the stables. Apparently his little internal struggle took a longer than he thought, because he just caught the tail end of their flight towards Danube's last known location. Gerel wasn't that worried. He hadn't neglected the other parts of his training these past few days; training his wind magic with Ord; tinkering with utilities and devices with Targus in her workshop, and; taking falconry classes to better his bond with Talon. Surprisingly, Serik was also there, with a buzzard that was easily the weakest of their brood. Even behind his walls, Gerel still took the effort to notice what his friends were doing.

The screech overhead told him all he needed to know. Talon was right on their tail, and he wouldn't lose them even if they tried. So he took his time, making his way over to Jeff. The kirin, in all his nobility, had his face buried in a bucket of feed. As Gerel approached, Jeff raised his head and gave a small huff. Of all the creatures in the Academy, Jeff was the only one who truly knew what he was going through. And as much as the first day they first bonded, Jeff comforted and strengthened Gerel. On their regular flights of fancy in the skies above To'Bai, Jeff always reminded Gerel of the freedom found in the sky's embrace. When they weren't flying, all Jeff had to do was reach out and nuzzle his head against Gerel's, just like he did when Gerel got close to his stable.

"Hey there," Gerel said, ruffling the kirin's smooth mane with a smile. "You ready to fly again?"

Jeff neighed, then nipped a little at Gerel's hair. That was his way of showing that he was worried, as he always was.

"Thank you for your concern, but I'll be alright. I have you, after all. And I still need to introduce you to my parents. I know they'll love you."

Jeff whickered, bumping slightly harder against Gerel than usual. An image of dark skin and fiery eyes filled Gerel's mind, and he let out a soft breath.

"I... I'll get to that when the time is right. Or when I'm backed into a corner, which is more likely. If she still wants to talk to me, that is."

Another nip, this time harder, and at his shoulder, which meant that Jeff was getting annoyed.

"You know what? You're probably right. I'm making a big deal out of nothing, and there's nothing to worry about. Come on."

With that, Gerel led Jeff out of the stables. With a flourish, the kirin unfurled his wings, eager for another chance to display his majesty before the others. Gerel checked the straps of his leather armor, and looked over the gauntlet he wore on his left forearm. With the workshop's help, he was able to refine the features of the Assassin's Gauntlet, some of which he hoped would help with the mission. He took stock of the arrows left in his quiver -- with a top inspired by Leandra's own -- and checked the tautness of his bowstring. Lastly, he drew out the Damascus dagger sheathed on his right hip, seeing his eyes reflected on the steel. The patterns distorted the image slightly, making his gaze look more... twisted. Sinister. Sheathing it once again, he checked Jeff's saddle, and double-checked on the food and supplies he stocked for the mission.

Satisfied, he mounted the kirin, who was all too happy to feel his partner once again on his back. With a triumphant neigh they took off into the night sky. The chill wind bit into Gerel's skin, but he loved it. He took it in, let it wash away the stresses and the doubts and the darkness gnawing inside of him. The winds were his, and they claimed him as their own. If the power of death threatened to drag him down under, he could always count on the sky to raise him up.

Gerel felt some of his own brashness bleed into him, taking him back to that race with Kari. All that exhilaration, all the emotion, all the fire. For once, he let himself go. He beckoned, and the wind answered, rushing onward, catching on Jeff's wings to speed them towards the rest of their companions. Gerel whooped and laughed and hollered, relishing in the adrenaline. In just a minute or two, he heard a loud screech from Talon, telling Gerel that they were close. He dispersed the winds, riding on the riddens until he reached the rear of their formation.

Even with all that, he was still hesitant to proceed. They would've definitely noticed him coming; he wasn't exactly subtle. But he didn't know what to say to them. Not yet. So he stayed back, telling himself that he was watching their rear for any threats.

Tags: SilverFlight SilverFlight Saturn_moon Saturn_moon AncientBird AncientBird kase9187 kase9187 Elenion Aura Elenion Aura explosiveKitten explosiveKitten Lioness075 Lioness075 Naberius Naberius

Last edited:
Ah. Of all people to notice him first, it had to be Aldaf. Of course. The man had an uncanny ability to sense something amiss in a person. Gerel was equal parts relieved and annoyed; the former because at least Aldaf didn't take Gerel's actions these past few days against him, and the latter because it felt like Aldaf already knew about the things he went through. Time would tell if that would work in his favor or not.

For now, his help was needed, and he was further relieved to know that he'd be calling on the winds instead of the earth. "Of course," Gerel said. He flew closer to both Aldaf and Marylka. The former Estendorian woman left quite an impression on Gerel after the council meeting, but he felt guilty that he hadn't bothered to talk to her more about her decision.

First things first. "Just tell me what to do," he said, his voice muffled by Kari's tunic-slash-scarf around his mouth.

Tags: kase9187 kase9187 Saturn_moon Saturn_moon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back