• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Matthias
Matthias stood grim and stone-faced by the riverside, looming over the water's edge like a statue. He listened to the others wordlessly. Some of them theorized what this new development could mean. Were the Deathborn sentient? What Matthias wondered was when, and how, they intended to strike back at these creatures. From a blackness in his heart, Matthias figured he would not find the answer here. His knuckles ached from their repeated meetings with Deathborn hide. As if to punish them - punish himself - Matthias tightened his fists until he heard them pop.

Without another word he left them there. Matthias walked the streets of this foreign city with more surety than he was comfortable with. It did not take him long to find what he sought. A guard was posted near enough to the Academy grounds, for the safety of the students, Matthias imagined. He approached her and nodded grimly as she took note of him. In a voice quieter than he was used to using, Matthias said,

”I want to speak the the guard-captain.”

355d6cb74c6b99325ff05b40618442b8.jpg
Caliban Lupei

As they began to wander back towards the academy after their latest harrowing fight, Cal was uncharacteristically quiet. Not just because he was kicking himself for being nearly useless through the whole thing, but also because he was contemplating things. Their enemy was evolving, and that meant they too had to evolve, in a way. New skills, new ways of fighting to compensate for the newly upgraded deathborn they faced. He walked with the others to see Candour, but mostly remained silent, though he did give what little information he could. After that, and the party began to split and go about their evening, he found himself alone in the garden again. The sky was beginning to darken as the sat on the stone bench gazing into the sky above. He was not used to pessimistic musings, but he had the unshakeable feeling that this was only going to get worse and more dangerous as the days went on. And something in the back of his mind wondered if the deathborn were more of a symptom of something much worse, rather than the darkest thing they would encounter.

I'm going to have to get stronger. We all are. It's the only way we're going to survive to see our families again.

Lioness075 Lioness075 SleepyCreamy SleepyCreamy AncientBird AncientBird kase9187 kase9187 Saturn_moon Saturn_moon YumenoTsukishiro YumenoTsukishiro explosiveKitten explosiveKitten @ SilverFlight SilverFlight Elenion Aura Elenion Aura

Do we not just get one break around here?

Katja was trudging along behind everyone as they made their way back to the school, looking dead tired. This feeling of utter uselessness was not welcome one. She couldn’t have done anything even if she wanted to get in on the fight. Gods, how utterly useless...

She looked up and over towards Rhyne, whom had appeared with the teachers, and her mind flew to the offer that he had made yesterday. She needs to talk to him about that... but now wasn’t the time. This was supposed to be a secret offer, after all. So bringing it up in front of everyone would not be smart. I’ll have to go find him later.

—————————

While on her way to Rhyne’s office, Katja noticed someone sitting in the garden by himself- Caliban?

Her heart skipped when she noticed him, and immediately she was judgemental of herself.
Seriously, what am I? A little village girl with a crush on the local hottie? Get a hold of yourself, Katja! She chided internally.
He looks so solemn, was the next thing that’s came to mind. That’s so unusual for him. What could have happened to make him so sad?

Almost without even realizing it, she started to walk over to him, previous goal completely forgotten.

“... are um... are you okay?” She asked as she approached, masked eyebrows pinched in concern.

Naberius Naberius

Aldaf's lizard poked his head out from one of Aldaf's pockets and made a small nipping sound.
"Zaj, calm down."
Zaj crawled out of Aldaf's pocket and sat on his head.
"Pfft. Fine."

Aldaf stayed next to Kari, a small distance away.
"So what happened? During the chase, I mean."
Zaj just sort of laid on Aldaf's head, resting.

SilverFlight SilverFlight

Cal's hands rested behind his head, one leg propped up on the other, crossed. He barely registered someone nearby, and didn't fully comprehend who it was or why until she spoke. He looked over.. And couldn't help but smile. Katja. She had wandered over just to check on him, and for some reason it made him feel... Strange. But he found himself in a much improved mood just having her nearby.

"Oh, hey Katja. I was just... Thinking about things, you know? It's been a pretty intense few days huh? Feels like months, or a year even."

He gave her that usual warm, friendly smile, head tilted to the side slightly.

explosiveKitten explosiveKitten

"Hey," Kari returned, concern in her voice after hearing Aldaf's tone. "You okay?" She reached over and put a friendly hand on his shoulder. Her family had always been tight-knit, and she would live in the same way, even apart from them. She'd be there for him, if he ever needed her.

Mathias and Marylka approached. When Marylka sat down too Kari made space for her, and the theories she brought up made Kari listen intently.
"No, you're right. They do act like bees...and they clearly have different functions. That deathborn that...got away from me," she admitted it with bitterness, "It had it's orb in the middle of it's face, why would it have that if the orb was just a power source? It was using it for something else definitely...and it ran at the first sign of trouble. It...acted like a spy...but something doesn't fit...if it's some sort of creature, why attack now? Why come after us? The way they are attacking seems...strategized, almost...human." That thought made everything seem much worse. Beasts Kari could fight. They were predictable, but if there was someone behind the attacks...
"We need more information. To get that, we need to find out where they're going."

Serik came and joined them while they had been speaking, and what he said made sense too, Kari took a deep breath and tried to let go.
"You're right, we should focus on classes, and improving our magic. Those creatures are getting stronger, we need to as well."

Aldaf asked for details about the chase and Kari snorted, clearly irritated by the memory.
"That thing cut the ropes slung across the alley, Zephyr and I flew straight into them, it grounded us right away....I can't believe I was out-smarted by a monster..."

At that point Zephyr felt there were too many negative vibes surrounding his partner. He waded through the water, droplets beading from his water-proof feathers, catching the sun like golden pearls. He reached over and casually grabbed her collar in his beak and heaved her into the water.
Kari surfaced spluttering, eyes flashing with rage, but Zephyr screeched in delight and dove away when she made a grab for him, and suddenly, Kari was laughing, chasing her gryphon about in the shallows. She turned to the others and splashed them playfully, a big grin on her face.

kase9187 kase9187 Saturn_moon Saturn_moon Elenion Aura Elenion Aura AncientBird AncientBird

She hadn't noticed Matthias slip away, but as he approached the guard she gave him an appraising look.
"Guard Captain Deralis? I'm afraid he works in his home past dusk, and doesn't take visitors. You will have to find him in his office tomorrow...out of curiosity...why do you want to speak to him? Is it urgent?"
Elenion Aura Elenion Aura

Keshka heard the knock and looked up from a pile of scattered notes. She had been reviewing them. Everything she had learned about the deathborn and the magic that controlled them. She rushed to collect them together before she answered gruffly.
"Enter."
Upon seeing it was the young warrior whom she remembered having an interest in her work, she shot him a suspicious look, but her tone was polite, if a little frosted.
"Classes begin tomorrow." She said flatly, though there was a question written on her face: 'what do you want?'
YumenoTsukishiro YumenoTsukishiro

Naberius Naberius explosiveKitten explosiveKitten Lioness075 Lioness075

Aldaf sighed as Zaj walked around a bit on his head.
"Honestly? No. These things got the drop on us, sure, that happened to everyone..."
He sort of looked down in the water.
"But Spica got hurt pretty badly. I got cocky, and she got hurt."

Marylka spoke of them acting like bees, and Aldaf piped up.
"Well... The Deathborn we had tried to protect it's core, meaning it was more suited to fighting us, right? And the asshole that flew off didn't have that plating... if I'm correct."
Zaj flopped down and didn't resist Aldaf picking him up and putting him in his lap.
"There is one thing. And it ties back to Keshka. She used one of their orbs as like... a catalyst, or focus, right? Maybe it was the same thing."

Aldaf pulled out one of his arrows, the one he had notched to aim for the runaway, and frowned.
"These things are definitely getting more complicated. Smarter might be a bit... generous. I would've helped, but Spica was injured and I couldn't risk hitting you guys."
He stashed the arrow away and slouched a bit.

"But you guys are right. Classes are tomorrow, and we should try on out-pacing these boneheads."

He started to laugh again, his cheeriness returning as Kari splashed around in the river. Her splash caught him off-guard and he reflexively turned, the hair on his right side flattening and covering a bit of his scar.
"I know you didn't just do that!"
His voice was gleeful as he took off his armor to show his normal undershirt. He kept the leggings on, however.
He entered the water with Kari and grinned wide as he used just a liiiittle bit of magic to send a good-sized splash to get her and Zephyr.

"Come on, guys! She has her Skybeast, and I need backup!"
He laughed heartily as he beckoned for Marylka and Serik to join.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Saturn_moon Saturn_moon AncientBird AncientBird

Elenion Aura Elenion Aura Lioness075 Lioness075 YumenoTsukishiro YumenoTsukishiro Naberius Naberius explosiveKitten explosiveKitten

Gerel expected the edge in her voice, yet he gulped all the same. Between fighting off the death wyvern alone and facing Keshka, he'd rather do the former. Steeling himself, he made his way to her, taking care not to hit anything or step on something he should. Deities knew she could throw him out of the Academy just for coughing lightly. "I was thinking maybe this can help you -- help us -- know more about the deathborn."

In his hands was the armored core of the bull deathborn. He waited for Keshka to speak, all while forcing himself to keep eye contact. Maybe it was his nerves, maybe the adrenaline from the earlier encounter still fueling him, but he couldn't keep his mouth shut. "I know I already asked this before, and you already gave me an answer, but please reconsider sharing your findings on the deathborn. Including--" he gulped, "--the magic you used on the ritual to remove the curse from us."

Great. He was as good as dead.

Hearing the edge in Kari's voice Marylka leaned over and gently bumped the girl with her shoulder. "Hey, don't beat yourself up about it. That deathborn out-smarted all of us. The next time we run into it, we'll be ready for whatever it throws at us. Whether you realize it or not, we have your back, like I know you have ours." The certainty in her words caught even Marylka by surprise, but with every fiber of her being she knew it to be true. Ever since waking up in the tent on Mount Arebos, this group had again and again defied the odds and showed that there was little that could stop them as long as they were together.

Kari still seemed a little downtrodden until Zephyr came over and cheekily pulled his partner into the river. When she broke the surface of the water, her brown curls stretched out from the weight of the water, there was a moment where she looked absolutely enraged. However, it passed as quickly as it came and the next thing Marylka knew, Kari was splashing about the shallows, laughing without a care in the world.

"Kari!" Marylka exclaimed as the girl, grinning widely, suddenly decided to direct her attacks at them instead of her skybeast. "Don't you know it's a bad idea to engage a water mage in a water fight?" She said teasingly. She wasn't actually going to use any magic. Removing her boots, she hopped off the ledge into the cool waters and happily joined in on the mischief. Remembering that Matthias had in fact been with them this entire time, she turned to extend an invitation to the Northarian, even if she was sure that he would decline, only to find he was no longer around. I wonder where he could have possibly gone at this hour. With a shrug, Marylka turned her attention back to the shenanigans happening around her.

SilverFlight SilverFlight kase9187 kase9187 AncientBird AncientBird Elenion Aura Elenion Aura YumenoTsukishiro YumenoTsukishiro Naberius Naberius explosiveKitten explosiveKitten Lioness075 Lioness075

Last edited:

Keshka regarded him calmly. Her expression dangerously neutral.
"No." She said in a casual tone.
"I have absolutely no reason to teach you, specifically, and quite a number of reasons not to teach anyone..." she stopped then, and considered him with a more focused gaze, rather like someone would inspect a bug under a magnifying glass. "...Why should I?"
It was a challenge. If Keshka was going to trust someone with the powerful secrets she had unlocked, she would need to be shown that it was going to be worth it.

Serik stared as his friends suddenly got into the water and splashed around. He looked further to the dark part of the river where light couldn't reach, way beyond the bank full with cattails and papyruses. It gave him a bit of fright thinking what might be lurking in there. "Are you sure the river is safe? I used to hear about vicious beast living in many water way all over Westeros called something like... Hip... Hippopotamus? I am not even sure what they look like but I heard they kill a lot of people and skybeasts trying to cross river..."

But then seeing Zephyr splashing around, if there would be anything dangerous in there, the griffon would probably have detect it by now. Serik shrugged about his own caution and he put his glowstone back into his pocket and slowly waded into the water, heading for his friends, just to slip on some rock and face planted into the water, causing splash everywhere.

Serik emerged with a bunch of water weed piling on his head. "Maybe it's not the beast I have to be wary about here." He said with an embarrassed face.

Featuring: SilverFlight SilverFlight kase9187 kase9187 Saturn_moon Saturn_moon

Words crammed into his throat from the tumultuous rationalization brewing in Gerel's mind, but his mouth refused to let any out. Keshka's mere stare rooted him to the ground and robbed him of any confidence. He felt that anything he'd say at this point would scatter and fade in the air. He felt small, tiny, insignificant. Who was he to demand Keshka of something? Just because he had a purple orb with bone plating? Granted, he risked his life for it, but remembering how she and Ord fought back on that island made him realize that Keshka could've easily gotten an armored core to study if she felt like it.

Gerel had half a mind to just hand over the damned core and be done with it. As long as he could help Keshka in her research, it was enough. It would end up helping all of them in the long run. But... what if it took too long?

"I want to meet my family as soon as I can," Gerel started, trying his best to meet Keshka's eyes. "But before that I want to make sure they're safe. I want to make sure my friends' families are safe. I want to make sure the families of the four tribes are safe. And the fastest way to do that is to cut the deathborn at their source. You know more about that than anybody in the sky lands, but you're only one person. For some reason or another, me and my companions have been marked by the deathborn... or whoever, whatever, controls them. We have no reason to use that knowledge for anything but destroying the deathborn. The more people helping you with that, the faster we can end the deathborn threat."

As with most things, Gerel went with his true feelings. There was no going back. Either he came out of it in one piece, or several.

Matthias

” Never mind.”

Matthias could wait. He had learned a kind of slow patience since the days of his youth. It was the patience of inevitability, like the slow path of an ice float as is makes its meandering way across the waters.

For a moment he thought to return to the others. No doubt they’d have engaged in some form of mischief by the time he returned. He made no fuss as he arrived back at the water’s edge. He did not get in. The waters rose up and splashed his boots. Perfect. Now he had wet boots.

Kari felt better when reminded she had the support of her friends. That was what they were now. All of them, and they would be with her while they worked through whatever strange plot they had been drawn into.
She squeaked with delight when Aldaf sent a return attack. Zephyr seemed like he was on his down side, and raised a wing to protect his face. The water hit Kari full on.
She eyed Marylka with a mischievous grin. "I'm full of bad ideas." She said, and sent another wave of water towards the girl.
Serik slipped on the bottom and Kari laughed, the bad feelings about her failure in the city all but forgotten now.
Matthias stood in the shallows, letting his boots get soggy and she paused for a moment to watch him.
It was only after Zephyr surged past her that she realized her gryphon had gone rogue:
Zephyr reached for Matthias' sleeve and made to yank him full into the river. Kari had only had the thought, but that was apparently enough for her skybeast. She only had time to yell his name:
"Zephyr no!"

kase9187 kase9187 Saturn_moon Saturn_moon Elenion Aura Elenion Aura AncientBird AncientBird

Keshka listened without interrupting, hand folded in front of her and pressed gently to her lips. Her expression didn't change for most of Gerels' heartfelt explanation, though if one looked closely, they might have seen her eyes become just a little softer.
At length she considered him again, this time seeming to run through an internal dialogue. She drew a breath, and answered:
"I am forbidden to teach what I have learned." She said in a monotone voice, and rose, going to the door.
"At the order of the headmaster I cannot pass it on to anyone, so there will be no class on it...likely ever."
As she neared him, and leaned past to take the handle of the door she said in a quieter voice:
"No doubt you would need help with your studies. I can tell your skills lack refinement, so if you want to do well, I recommend tutoring. I can tutor you twice a week. One hour."
She gave him a serious look, expecting him to pick up the hidden promise in the words. The headmaster had forbidden her to teach it, so she would teach him in secret.
"There are some things you need to know Gerel. This path isn't walked without a cost. The magic is unstable, volatile and violent. It can have lasting effects." She gripped his arm roughly. "And no matter what you do, you cannot divulge to anyone what you are learning...not even your friends."
She let him go, opened the door for him and gestured him out.
"The first session will be in two days time, I'll test your affinity...let's see if you even have the gift."

((Time skip next round. It's time to start classes))

Aldaf laughed happily as he splashed around, making sure to get Marylka nice and soaked when he could. However, when Matthias fell in he decided to hop out. For safety reasons. Using his magic, Aldaf practically blow-dried himself and stood on the shore completely dry.
"Alright, alright. We should probably start getting ready for classes tomorrow. Any of you need a quick dry, come on up."
With his magic, Aldaf quickly dried off anyone who needed it.
"I'm gonna go check on Spica, then come on back to get a good cleaning and grab my essentials. I'll see you guys later."

SilverFlight SilverFlight Elenion Aura Elenion Aura Saturn_moon Saturn_moon AncientBird AncientBird

355d6cb74c6b99325ff05b40618442b8.jpg
Caliban Lupei

With Katja having headed out to see Rhyne, Cal was once more left alone with his thoughts. There was an odd feeling in his chest that he couldn't really process. He had no idea why, but there was some small part of him that thought he'd rather have her there than going to see Rhyne, but it didn't really make sense. He was a teacher, an ally, and a potent healer. If anything he should be happy and excited that she was going to be going to learn from him, as she would be even better at her healing skills. He shook his head, standing and stretching. The sun was long down and he might as well get some rest. The others would be up to the dorm shortly anyway, and who knows what kinds of things their classes would have them doing. They would need to be well rested and ready for basically anything, especially if combat training was involved, and he had a sinking feeling that it very much would be. He made his way back to the dorms, lost in thought and turned in for the night, still not sure exactly what that feeling was he experienced just moments before. But, he did know one thing. School was certainly going to be exciting.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Elenion Aura Elenion Aura kase9187 kase9187 Lioness075 Lioness075 Saturn_moon Saturn_moon YumenoTsukishiro YumenoTsukishiro explosiveKitten explosiveKitten AncientBird AncientBird

((Note, you can find descriptions of all the major npcs on the characters page))

Sen and Elbey were teaching assistants at the Westeros academy. They had stayed behind at the proving grounds with the other assistants when Keshka and Ord left to escort several newly-proven youths back to To'bai. There were more provings waiting, and though the arrival and subsequent defeat of the giant skeletal creature on top of the mountain had been terrifying, the scouts revealed not a single trace of the mayhem left behind. Not a single undead monster was found. Even the natural monsters on the mountain seemed more docile than they had been and so, with an added ten warriors as guards, the proving continued. This was the start of new lives after all. They could not prevent it anymore than the passing of time.

When several new youths appeared, seeming to have no memory of the past year, waking up in a tent much like the first group, the assistants could approach them in relative peace.
Sen explained the situation, Sen was the better speaker, young but lively, with a petite figure, dark hair and a bright smile.
She told them that the best way to recover their memories was to join the others at Westeros academy on the desert continent. What was not told to them however, was the fact that they may have possessed special magics, unrecorded magics, the ability to heal, control plants, or earth. No, these secrets were better left to the masters who had discovered them.

AquaMarie AquaMarie pinnasina pinnasina

~*~*~

The group had been allowed to sleep in, though Keshka had promised this would not be a regular occurrence. Kari couldn't anyway. Her lifestyle had been set to getting up at dawn for morning chores with the herd, and so, she went to help feed Zephyr and the other skybeasts.
Gerel hadn't been with them for a time last evening, and Kari hadn't had a chance to ask him about that. She would catch him before class.
Kari was just about to head back from the stables when several figured descended from the sky. The assistants greeted her, tired but relieved, as Keshka appeared almost like a ghost and ushered the new faces inside quickly.
"I need to make sure the deadthborn can't track them."
Kari blinked, and looked at the figures sitting on their skybeasts. There were more? Kari remembered being hunted by the deathborn, the skeletal creatures that had attacked the proving ground.
"We didn't encounter more than a scout." Sen told the teacher of light magic and Keshka nodded. "So numbers strengthen the signal, that's good to know, but moot now, as I'll remove it completely. Take them to the banquet hall after and feed them, they can join the others for the first lesson."

The first lesson was in the round elemental training hall on the southern end of the campus. It was a massive building with a hallway ringing the outer edge and a large magic-proof room that could be split into four parts. For now though, all of the panel led walls had been taken down, leaving a cavernous, round space. The windows were set right up against the domed roof, letting light pour onto the rubber-coated floor.
Kari and the others were ushered inside, along with the two new figures. Kari watched them, both red-haired, though one looked distinctly more approachable.

From a door close to Candour's office, the headmaster and his four teachers strode: Keshka, teacher of light magic, Ord, teacher of wind magic, Rhyne, the water mage instructor and Targus, teacher of lightning magic.
"Welcome to the academy!" Tagrus boomed in her resounding, friendly roar. "It's our job to help you recover your memories, and make sure you are prepared to deal with what your lives are currently throwing at you! These deathborn creatures are no joke. We don't know how many there are, the extent of their powers, all we do know is that they come from below the clouds, and for some reason, they seem like they really want to kill you!" Targus ended that as if it was the punchline to a joke. Rhyne elbowed her sharply.
"Er, right. But we won't let that happen! Keshka tells me that you seem to be picking up magical skill very fast! This may have something to do with your missing memory, and that you were all here at some point during the year you can't remember. We have records of you, your progress in magic...but we also have records that you were learning other magics. So, let's start with a demonstration shall we?"

Targus stepped back and held out her arm, grinning at Rhyne, who approached with a neutral, somewhat bored expression. Ina flash he drew a knife and slashed Tagrus' arm, sinking the blade deep so blood welled and began to drip on the floor. Tagrus didn't even wince. Sheathing the knife he held out his hand again just over the cut and in a soft glow, the cut began to heal.
"This is the first of the new magics." He said calmly. "The ability to repair bone and tissue in living bodies. I'll be the one to test your affinity for this magic."

Targus, arm newly healed without even a scar stepped forward next. She opened her palm to reveal three tiny seeds. She let them drop to the floor but even as they fell they began to sprout, coiling vines erupted from the shells, fed by magic and they grew until they wrapped in upon themselves and created a massive trunk, branches sprouting from all angles. Keshka was holding an iron bar and tossed it at the vines. It was caught and in one swift motion, the plants bend the iron like wet clay. Then they twisted and formed a long wooden rod with a claw at the end. Targus plucked the item like a fruit and began to scratch her back with it.
"This is the second new magic. The ability to nourish and control all plant life."

Ord was next, and Kari and the others had seen his skill before. He was already manipulating a pair of stones, large as dinner plates, over his head. Around the stones there was only air. He brought them down and jumped onto them, one foot on each and took himself for a ride about the room. Once that wad done he leapt off, and folded a hand and the stone obediently broke into sand and then reformed.
"This is the third magic, the ability to control stone and earth."

Keshka, through all of this remained stoically silent. She did not even glance at Gerel.

Candour spoke then, arms folded against his broad chest.
"We will now test your abilities in these magics, I am hoping your vanished memories might return enough to have you be drawn to the magic you were mastering before."
Kari tried to reach into her mind, to the place that had told her she had been here before, seen these people, these abilities before, she looked at each in turn, but for her, the memories remained stubbornly absent.

Instead she turned to the two new faces.
"Hey," She greeted warmly. "You doing okay?"
They had no doubt been attacked by deathborn on the way here. Kari remembered the fear and pain she and the others had experienced. It had been more than hard.
"This whole thing is pretty wild right?"

Saturn_moon Saturn_moon Lioness075 Lioness075 explosiveKitten explosiveKitten YumenoTsukishiro YumenoTsukishiro kase9187 kase9187 Elenion Aura Elenion Aura Naberius Naberius AncientBird AncientBird pinnasina pinnasina AquaMarie AquaMarie

Last edited:
Meanwhile, in Ocris

Flame flickered in the eyes of a middle age man as he looked into the bonfire, adding more coal into it. He then laid his back on something smooth and grey, which turned out was a massive draft horse-liked pegasus, with dark sooty color.

“Remember the time we could go about without having to fear for the unknown, Yak?” Said the man. His voice was calm and soothing, with a slight glimpse of sadness. The pegasus’s ebony eyes blinked and it grunted lowly as it turned its head toward its rider, nuzzling his hair. “What is happening to our world, our family?... I don’t know any more...” The man added.

Suddenly, a galloping noise came from the outside of the tent they were sitting in. The man looked forward and slowly, he got up and got out of the tent, his pegasus followed suit.

There was another pegasus outside the tent, a pure white female with slimmer and more elegant body, on her back sat a couple of people, one was a young man and another is a young woman. Both got down from the skybeast and greeted the older man. “Karazan! A letter! Herdmaster just handed it to me... It’s Serik’s!” Said the young man. He looked overly excited. The older man quickly received the letter and opened it. He read for a while, them his excitement dropped from his face and turned to disappointment.

“What does it say?” Asked the young man. “He... He’s not coming here...” Replied the old man.

“What?!! Why?!! Did something happen at the proving?”

“...He said he is fine and he has completed the proving and got his skybeast... However, he said there was a necessary business he must attend. He is going to attend the academy in Westeros and recovered something important first...”

The younger man seemed shock and upset. He was silent for a while and spoke up. “That’s it, I will go to see him...” Both the older man and the young woman was surprised by his word. “Timur... You don’t mean to...” Said the old man before he was interrupted. “Yes! I will go to Westeros and see for myself! What could possibly be more important than his own family?!!” Said firmly the young man.

“But you have never traveled that far before...”

“Well, a caravan have and one is to leave for Westeros tomorrow. I can join them.”
Said the young man again as he turned to the young woman next tom him. “You are coming with me right?” He asked. The young woman seemed hesitant but she replied firmly. “Yes, Timur... Let’s go together.”

“You don’t have to do all of this...”
Said the older man. “We have spoken about this too many times... I was the one who lost Serik, I will make up for that... No matter what, I will bring him back to you.” Confirmed the man as he turned to the pegasus to lead it away.

“Well, I guess I better go pack things then...” Said the young woman as she shrugged, seemingly not comfortable with this sudden trip idea even though she agreed with it. “I am so worry about him, Ayna...” Said the older man. The woman looked at him and gave him a soothing smile and a pat on his shoulder. “Don’t worry, I am sure we will find Serik and he’s gonna be alright.”

“It wasn’t just Serik...”
Replied the old man as he nodded toward the younger man who was giving his pegasus water. “Oh... him...” Said the woman. “Everyday, straying further from what he used to be... I’m afraid we are going to “lose” him as well.” The older man spoke and slowly shook his head. “Don’t worry, old man. Keeping that moron from doing something reckless and stupid is my life now. He will stay in his track as long as I am around.” reassured the woman as she chuckled. The old man returned her a soft smile, he then pulled an item from his waist. “Anyway, if Little Magpie’s plan didn’t go as he thought, I want you tongive Serik this.” Said the man.

The woman’s eyes widened. “Karazan... This... But it is still yours by right!” She said. “I have no use of it here... Serik on the other hand, if he is to live in a distant land...” The young woman recieved the item into her hands. “Well, as bad as Timur’s decision may sound, I do hope he succeed... I kind of miss the little guy.” She said. “We all do, Little Marmot, we all do.” Replied the old man.

———————

Serik woke up to the new day with a beating of heart. This is it! The day he would finally get to learn about magic by the experts, the best of the mages in Skyland. His excitement sent him off bed early in the morning, so he followed Kari who also got up early to the stable, to greet and help feed the skybeast, talking with Valkyrie (who seemed a bit blue for some unlnown reason) then made a stopped at bird room to tend Shrill.

Done with the morning routine, he returned to suit up and prepared to meet with the instructor along with his friends. The band moved on from their dorm toward the south of the academy, to the elemental training hall.

Serik watched in wonder at the large room as they entered. The instructors had awaited them there. Headmaster Candour, Keshka, Ord, Rhyne and Targus all stood before them, looking much more regal than Serik remembered them to be... However, Serik caught sight of two new faces sitting with him and his friends as new students. Serik remembered seeing them arriving with academy staffs just earlier this morning while he was at the stable with Kari but he wasn’t sure who they are. Both are red headed girl around the same age of their group, one seemed like one of his kin from Estendor and another one was a bit unfamiliar, with immense height, possibly rival or even exceed Matthias.

The instructor began to briefed them of what they about to be learning. Each started showing some new magic that Serik had never seen before (he was caught off guard when Rhyne suddenly cut into Targus’s arm.), excluding Ord’s earth magic which was demonstrated back on the little island on the way to Westeros.

Serik then noticed Kari approaching the new faces and greeted them. He turned to looked at them closely, friendlily waving and smiling at them, but since he was sitting a bit further from them, he didn’t say anything and quickly returned to pay attention at the instuctors just so he wouldn’t upset them.

Featuring: SilverFlight SilverFlight Saturn_moon Saturn_moon kase9187 kase9187 explosiveKitten explosiveKitten Naberius Naberius Elenion Aura Elenion Aura YumenoTsukishiro YumenoTsukishiro Lioness075 Lioness075 pinnasina pinnasina AquaMarie AquaMarie

Last edited:
"I am forbidden to teach what I have learned."

In hindsight, Gerel should've backed off from there. Nothing forbidden was safe. Knowing that Headmaster Candor himself forbade it drove home the seriousness of last night's events. Words tumbled from his mouth like an errant storm, yet the answer he received was equally shocking.

"No doubt you would need help with your studies. I can tell your skills lack refinement, so if you want to do well, I recommend tutoring. I can tutor you twice a week. One hour."

Through divine miracle or stroke of providence, Keshka was open to teaching Gerel the forbidden magic. Whatever he said opened the way to know more about the skeletal monstrosities that hunted them and the foul darkness that powered them. He made good arguments and commitments, but was he truly ready to meet them?

"There are some things you need to know Gerel. This path isn't walked without a cost. The magic is unstable, volatile and violent. It can have lasting effects."

Gerel placed a hand over his arm, still feeling Keshka's grip. When he checked, there were red marks left by her fingers. She was dead serious about her words, and something as shadowy as deathborn magic would not let him go without taking something in return. Was he ready to pay the price? Did he even have enough to make the payment? Suddenly his thoughts flashed to Talon, to Jeff, to his family back in Estendor, to his newfound companions, to Kari. He was ready to give up a part of him if it meant grabbing the means of deathborn destruction, but what if he wasn't the one with due debt? What if some malice claimed something, or someone, else as payment?

"And no matter what you do, you cannot divulge to anyone what you are learning...not even your friends."

It pained him to stay silent. He made sure that everybody was asleep before he slipped back into the dormitory room, but no doubt some of the others were wondering where he was last night. More than once he felt the Kari's familiar sharp gaze on his back, boring through him like an eagle's eye. He knew sooner or later she would come, and he still didn't know what to say to her. Lies rarely passed over her head, and Gerel was never a good liar to begin with.

Too many things to think. Too many options to consider. By the time they were ushered into the training hall he was already nursing a headache. He barely noticed the two newcomers who came in after them -- both had red hair, that at least he noticed -- before the professors launched into an explanation and demonstration of the new magics. When Candor finished explaining the point of the demonstration, Gerel paused.

"The first session will be in two days time, I'll test your affinity...let's see if you even have the gift."

How... would Keshka even test him for something like that? He recalled the hasty ritual back on that island, remembering the sickening feel of the dark magic as it sloughed off his body. Keshka would check if he could do something with... that? The headache came back in force, making him pinch the bridge of his nose hoping the pain would subside. It was clear that Gerel was not having a good day. Not even the hearty breakfast of honeyed bread and spiced milk was enough to dispel everything going on in his mind.

Featuring: SilverFlight SilverFlight Saturn_moon Saturn_moon kase9187 kase9187 explosiveKitten explosiveKitten Naberius Naberius Elenion Aura Elenion Aura AncientBird AncientBird Lioness075 Lioness075 pinnasina pinnasina AquaMarie AquaMarie

Aldaf slept decently well in his temporary cot in the stables, waking up rather early as well. However, instead of finding himself in his cot, he found himself sleeping on Spica; She'd coiled up around him, her scales flattened to keep from cutting him.

"Alright, Spica, morning. I gotta get up for classes..."

Aldaf rose and snuck back to the dorms, getting cleaned up. He followed the others into the training hall, noting the two new faces among them.

-.-.-.-.-

Aldaf watched the teachers practice their new magics with ease, and heard them say they might've learned said magical abilities. Aldaf closed his eyes and concentrated, letting the ambiance fade away.

Nothing sprung to mind as to what he might've learned, but Aldaf knew from experience that something learned isn't imprinted on a memory, but rather your actions. He searched for a familiar feeling, much like he'd felt when he discovered his wind magic...

He felt like there might be something. He deadened the feeling of wind inside him and spoke to Ord.

"May I see a stone, please?"

Featuring: SilverFlight SilverFlight Saturn_moon Saturn_moon explosiveKitten explosiveKitten Naberius Naberius Elenion Aura Elenion Aura AncientBird AncientBird Lioness075 Lioness075 pinnasina pinnasina AquaMarie AquaMarie AncientBird AncientBird

Leandra LaFrae.jpg
Name: Leandra LaFraeNicknames: Lea, Firefly
Clan: SudentaClan Job: Huntress
Equipment: Knapsack, Medicinal Pouch, Bow, Quiver (0/10), Twin Daggers
Momo.jpg
Falarion.jpeg
Falarion actually has brightly colored wings that have a rainbow hue in bright lighting. In darker settings, they can seem muted into a dark grey or even black color. He also does not have the golden tattoos spanning his body or the necklace around his neck.
Westeros Outfit.jpg
She's wearing the first, green one.

After recent events, Leandra was more than happy to sleep in the following day. She finally awoke, bleary-eyed, to see her flying lemur curled up on her chest, purring in his sleep.
With a yawn and stretch, Leandra sat up and grinned when the lemur leapt off her with angry chattering.
"G'mornin' to you, too, buddy."

Glancing around, Leandra noted a few were already absent and she figured they were probably checking in on their Skybeasts. She felt assured that Falarion was doing well on his own, though. She was impressed with how composed and calm he had seemed through everything leading up to today. She did not feel like she needed to check in on him this morning, as the stable hands would undoubtedly feed him. She would definitely visit him after their classes and such started today. Perhaps during her lunch break.

Once she was dressed, Leandra trailed after the group with her flying lemur perched on her shoulder. She was a bit anxious about the upcoming affinity magic test. Out of everyone in the group, she was one of the very few who had not shown any affinity for magic yet. It was not necessarily a surprise to her since she grew up without it, but she had seen the wondrous feats people could perform with magic and the beauty of it. She could not help but feel jealous to be left out of having such an extraordinary ability.

Just as they entered, two new students were ushered in with them and Leandra's eyes widened in surprise. She had not expected any others to join their already rather large group. Her curiosity about them was sidelined when the teachers all began to enter the room.
Each teacher exhibited their magic abilities in turn and then Leandra felt her anxiety rise, as it was time to test for affinities.
Shoulders slumped, Leandra hesitantly spoke up then, "What about those of us who haven't shown any affinity for magic yet? Maybe I can just do it later...or something?"
She raised a hand to anxiously rub the back of her neck, but was met with her lemur's soft head bumping into it instead. Leandra smiled at this, grateful for the little guy's companionship in this moment.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Naberius Naberius Saturn_moon Saturn_moon Elenion Aura Elenion Aura YumenoTsukishiro YumenoTsukishiro AncientBird AncientBird pinnasina pinnasina AquaMarie AquaMarie kase9187 kase9187 explosiveKitten explosiveKitten

Last edited:
e1794ca2dbac7a6c7c30554aebbe2b64.jpg
4ab685ab699fa87cf184f99aa49812ba.jpg
Emmaline was quite confused when she awoke in the tent. A woman named Sen explained to them that if they were to recover their memories that they would have to join others at Westeros academy on the desert continent. Emma would normally be up for an adventure without a second thought, as one of her dreams was to get to explore the world. But having found out that she had missed a whole year really made her miss her family. However, the girl decided on going with Elie to the school in hopes of finding a way to get their lost year back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Now Emmaline was quietly following behind Elie as they were being escorted to their first lessons. This sure had been a crazy morning so far getting taken from place to place, as she hoped her skybeast would be alright wherever they took him too. Although the food had been given before being taken to their first lessons had been quite yummy. In fact, Emma had taken a few pastries and fruits to snack on later. The short girl’s eyes went wide with amazement and curiosity as they entered the large cavernous, round space. "wow…." she whispered to herself as she looked around the room and then up, noticing the position of the windows by the domed roof. This school and this building alone was nothing like what she was used to seeing back home. Emma closely followed behind Elie like a tiny shadow, keeping close to the fellow red-head as everyone gathered. She would look over to the others just watching them and wondering if they were nice and if they were also here for the same reason.

Emmaline watched as their instructors entered the room, welcoming them and explaining what they would be doing. Although Emma was very confused when they started to speak about magics as she had never and as far as she knew no one in her family was magical. Now she was very confused as to why she would even be here. However, she continued to listen and watched the demonstration. The girl’s eyes going wide, covering her mouth as the first demonstration was a man's arm getting sliced open. But quickly his healing magic took over and he healed himself. The demonstration continued with two other magics. But after showing the three different types of magic they were told that they would not be tested in them. Which confused Emma, why even show it to them? Emma's attention went towards a girl with short brown hair and a tiny creature on her shoulder when she asked "What about those of us who haven't shown any affinity for magic yet? Maybe I can just do it later...or something?" Emma really wanted to know this answer this question as she too had no magic.

A girl with dark brown hair, about the same hight as her, made her way over to them. Emma without thinking took a step back and slightly hid behind Elie. She smiled and waved as the girl greeted them waving as well to a boy with raven black hair. The redhead turns back to Kari and gently nodded when she asked if they were okay and that this was all crazy.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Saturn_moon Saturn_moon Lioness075 Lioness075 explosiveKitten explosiveKitten YumenoTsukishiro YumenoTsukishiro kase9187 kase9187 Elenion Aura Elenion Aura Naberius Naberius AncientBird AncientBird pinnasina pinnasina

Last edited:
Matthias
Matthias woke from a deep, restful sleep. He'd dreamt of the white winter in Northaria, wind and wolf howling over the frozen lake. But this had been a good dream. Matthias watched the snow as it fell from behind a heavy paned glass window. All around him was the crackle of roaring hearth fires, the smell of hearty meats, as pelts warmed the walls of his father's longhouse. There was music and drinking, and Matthias recognized each face as they came into focus, every one of them more fond to see him than the last. It was a dream of home, and the morning's realization - that he was still as far from home as he'd ever been - left him feeling cold despite the stifling Westerosi climate. He scowled as he rose, washed, and dressed himself. Volos was beside him, blinking blearily and yawning. Matthias gave the bear a gruff pat on the head... Then when no one was looking he scratched under his chin the way he knew he liked. Volos huffed with delight.

Later that same day he made his way with the others to the Hall of Elements. Matthias remembered this place. He tried not to stare at the scorched walls, knowing that one of those markings was his doing. For his part, Matthias all but ignored the newcomers. Which was more his own problem than it was theirs. Though he could not help but notice the one who all but looked him dead in the eye, and thought briefly that it was a nice change of pace. He'd gotten so used to looking down that his neck was starting to sore.

'And what of you?' Matthias thought, all too aware that Keshka had done nothing, where the others had all displayed their fantastic abilities. They had all experienced Keshka's power firsthand when she severed their bond to the Deathborn. Matthias thought it assinine that they not at least address it. But, he figured this once he would keep his opinions to himself, though it pained him.

He stared at each of them in kind: Rhyne with his healing, Targus with her seeds, and Ord with his rocks. Did he possess any of those abilities? Were they simply lying dormant within him, like his latent memories, waiting to be uncovered? His gaze unintentionally caught and lingered on Ord, and was left there until Aldaf asked for a rock. This shook his focus loose and he scanned the eyes of the crowd to see if any were looking back.

"Aye. Me too." He stepped forward. Perhaps throwing stones would help burn off some of this excess energy that he hadn't realized he'd been harboring until precisely this moment.

Marylka awoke to an echoing silence and the sun still hidden below the horizon. The faint lightening of the sky from pitch to navy was the only indication that time had passed and dawn was near. She closed her eyes and attempted to reach for sleep once more but found no purchase. She was fully awake and with that came the flood of thoughts that had momentarily subsided in her hours of slumber. Yesterday, the idea of starting classes filled Marylka with excitement and anticipation, but now, hours before the group was to assemble, the excitement had settled and made room for fear and doubt to enter.

What if she couldn't keep up with the rest?
What if they thought she wasn't good enough?
What if they sent her home?
What if, what if, what if...

Grabbing her pillow, she buried her head underneath it as if doing so might muffle the noise in her head. She never quite fell back asleep, her consciousness floating somewhere between the world of dreams and reality. Eventually, she heard the sounds of the others getting ready for the day and took it as her cue to do likewise.

The elemental training hall was unlike anything Marylka had ever seen. To be fair, since they started this journey, there has been a lot of things that were unlike anything she had ever seen so it really shouldn't be all that surprising anymore. Still, she couldn't keep her jaw from dropping when they were led in, their footsteps softly reverberating through the large, cavernous space which could be divided into four smaller quadrants, each designed to withstand and complement a specific magic type.

Curiously, there were two faces among their group that she did not recognise. The first was an imposingly tall, muscular young woman with short, flaming red hair and piercing saffron eyes. Everything about this figure stood out and it was hard not to stare. The second figure, also a redhead, seemed much more demure and meek. Before they could introduce themselves, Targus started speaking and explained the special magics herself, Rhyne and Ord possessed. Of course, they also knew of Keshka's abilities with the deathborn having seen and experienced it first hand, but the stone faced instructor remained resolutely silent throughout.

Headmaster Candour then spoke. "We will now test your abilities in these magics, I am hoping your vanished memories might return enough to have you be drawn to the magic you were mastering before."

Marylka shifted her gaze from one instructor to the next and carefully considered each of the magic they had just showcased, focusing although not entirely sure what kind of sign she was looking for. A moment passes, and then another. Nothing but the familiar presence of her water magic. It would be a lie to say she wasn't mildly disappointed by this. She had hoped for another reason to justify her choice to stay in Westeros. Another way to prove her worth to her team mates. Prove that she would not be a burden.

I just have to work harder.

As the thought crossed her mind, Marylka suddenly felt a small... almost like a hiccup deep within her. Oh. She looked at Targus and almost hesitantly started walking towards the woman. "Sorry, do you mind if I tried doing whatever you just did?"

AncientBird AncientBird AquaMarie AquaMarie Elenion Aura Elenion Aura explosiveKitten explosiveKitten kase9187 kase9187 Lioness075 Lioness075 Naberius Naberius pinnasina pinnasina SilverFlight SilverFlight YumenoTsukishiro YumenoTsukishiro

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back